Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Well that was a rough day.   

Yeah,  most definitely gonna take some getting used to,  I'm used to the mobile skin.  It's very sleek for sure,  but I dunno if I'm a sleek kinda guy. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Starfish35 said:

Yeah I don't know what to think yet.  I guess I'll get used to it.  But my notifications aren't showing up - is anyone else having that problem?

I think you might have to go and turn them on? I'm not entirely sure - I edited mine this morning and they're working for me so I figure that might have something to do with it, haha. 

• Love 2

Ok, there I just got a notification when you replied to me - that's new.  But I usually get notifications when threads I follow are updated, and I'm not getting those.  Let me go see if I can find somewhere to turn them on.  Thanks.

Edited by Starfish35
2 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

Are we not able to like posts anymore?

We are. Only now there's a heart to click on under the posts. Look to the bottom left. It's the last icon.

• Love 2

Dear Prev TV, making the notification sound default ON [it just scared me to death when an open thread got a new post] is an unforgivable sin. WEBSITES SHOULD NOT EVER MAKE NOISE.

In disappointment,
dtissagirl

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 5

Well I give up.  I went into the notification settings, and the option to get notified of new content in threads I follow is turned on, but I'm still not getting any notifications.  And the option of being notified of new comments in threads I follow isn't even available.  It's greyed out. :(

10 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

You can still like posts by clicking that heart on the bottom.  I'm not sure if you can see who liked posts though, like we could before.

You can. Scroll over the number next to the heart and you get "See who gave reputation".

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

So now that it looks like we can't edit the posts via HTML, how are we supposed to quote posts across different threads? That was how I was doing it before.

Hit multiquote, go back to the Arrow forum, then into the thread where you want to post and hit quote post or whatever it says. It will be in your bottom right corner.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

So now that it looks like we can't edit the posts via HTML, how are we supposed to quote posts across different threads? That was how I was doing it before.

The multiquote? I think. That's how I did it.

Starfish, maybe you need to follow the threads again? IDK.

• Love 1

You can turn off sound in the settings

2 minutes ago, quarks said:

How do I turn off the sound for the notifications? I can't find the button.

- your friendly yet technically completely inept neighborhood poster.ettinga

4 minutes ago, quarks said:

How do I turn off the sound for the notifications? I can't find the button.

- your friendly yet technically completely inept neighborhood poster.

You have to go to notification settings, and then scroll down to the bottom.  I think it's the last one.

Oh. I was looking in the wrong place. Of course.

Thanks, everyone!

(insert get off my lawn squawk about how SOME of us are just used to hitting the enter key twice after each paragraph and CAN'T ADJUST NOW, FORUM!)

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Dear Prev TV, making the notification sound default ON [it just scared me to death when an open thread got a new post] is an unforgivable sin. WEBSITES SHOULD NOT EVER MAKE NOISE.

In disappointment,
dtissagirl

I'm at work so I have headphones on and was not expecting that. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Tried that.  Still not working.  I give up.  Thanks anyway.

I was just reading in the questions forum and apparently you'll get a topic in your followed content when someone posts in the topic?  I just wish I could easily sort the shows I want to follow. It's a PITA on my phone now too. So much scrolling. Grumble grumble.

Does this format save the content of your post if you happen to move away from the page?

• Love 1

I don't follow shows, I follow specific threads.  And it's really annoying to have to go and check each of those forums to see if those threads have been updated instead of just clicking on the notification.

So, I'm just realizing that in the Content I follow stream, it shows the first couple of lines of a post. So if someone doesn't want to be spoiled...guess what? You're gonna get spoiled anyway if you follow that topic.  Is there a way to minimize so you only see the header and not the post?

8 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I posted a question in the Questions forum, but it looks like it was deleted.  *sigh*  I don't know.  :(  I just want my notifications back!  I can put up with all the rest of it. 

It looks like he might have consolidated the questions into a new thread and is going to post a new primer. Maybe it will be addressed in that new post?

21 minutes ago, doesntworkonwood said:

I don't like the speech bubbles. It feels less like a forum and more like a bunch of people talking into a void.

How do I view the forums that I follow? Or is that the thing that was buggy? 

There now appears to be a "Manage Followed Content" icon at the top of the page (far left of the other icons) that shows all the forums that you follow.  The icon looks like a square ribbon (square on top, inverted V on bottom).

I looked at that, but they're mainly talking about the Content Stream, and I don't use the Content Stream.  I just want notifications when there are new posts in the threads I follow, so I can click on the notification and it will take me directly to the last unread post in that thread.  That's how it used to work.  But not anymore.  :(

So I'm irrationally annoyed with the quote, edit and like buttons being barely visible and on the left not the right. It's not intuitive at all IMO. It's giving me cognitive dissonance. Like I read from the left to the right and the reply button is on the right so why not put the edit, quote, like and reports icons back on the right again. I'm assuming it's for the mobile users more than anything.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I looked at that, but they're mainly talking about the Content Stream, and I don't use the Content Stream.  I just want notifications when there are new posts in the threads I follow, so I can click on the notification and it will take me directly to the last unread post in that thread.  That's how it used to work.  But not anymore.  :(

I think I got it to work, maybe?

First, you have to make sure you follow the actual topic (like this one: "Small Talk: The Quiver").  Then make sure your notifications are setup correctly (http://forums.previously.tv/notifications/options/).  Specifically, I think you want "New content for things I follow" and/or "Someone comments on something I follow" checked.

ETA: Assuming that's what you're looking for!

Edited by Adira
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

The fast link to the post from the notifications still seems to be working so once you do get your notifications you should be able to see them. One thing I realized is that I have a script blocker and the font icons were not showing up so I couldn't see the notifications. I had to allow that.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Adira said:

I think I got it to work, maybe?

First, you have to make sure you follow the actual topic (like this one: "Small Talk: The Quiver").  Then make sure your notifications are setup correctly (http://forums.previously.tv/notifications/options/).  Specifically, I think you want "New content for things I follow" and/or "Someone comments on something I follow" checked.

Thanks, but I've done all of that, and it's still not working. Except that the "Someone comments on something I follow" option isn't available for me.  I can see it, but it's greyed out.  I can't change it.

ETA:  Never mind.  I must be losing it. I swear I looked at that several times, but I just looked at it again, and this time I was able to change it.  Well, thank you! :)  We'll see if that works.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Thanks, but I've done all of that, and it's still not working. Except that the "Someone comments on something I follow" option isn't available for me.  I can see it, but it's greyed out.  I can't change it.

ETA:  Never mind.  I must be losing it. I swear I looked at that several times, but I just looked at it again, and this time I was able to change it.  Well, thank you! :)  We'll see if that works.

I had the same problem and it was greyed out for me until...it magically wasn't. I'm not sure it's user error in this case. Forum wonkiness. I hope it works now for you though!

• Love 1

Oh thank goodness we're back. Between voting on twitter and previously.tv going down I was at a loss for distractions yesterday. I wondered if the mods wanted to be sure that everything went up before the new episode of Arrow tonight.  I know that they try to accommodate our obsessive need to discuss a vigilante dressed in green leather.

The post just split "vigilante" at the end of a line with a dash. How sophisticated.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

So I'm irrationally annoyed with the quote, edit and like buttons being barely visible and on the left not the right. It's not intuitive at all IMO. It's giving me cognitive dissonance. 

They are sooo light that I didn't even see them for awhile. I can live with them being on the left but I need to be able to see them. 

For shows that I follow, they used to be in bold when a new comment had been made in any of the threads, now all my shows are unbolded. Is there a way to see if there is activity for the show as a whole without opening up each one?

• Love 2

I'm really bothered that the main board doesn't have the time stamp and username of the last poster.  Is it just on mine?   Is that a strange thing to be bothered by? 

• Love 3

I think a lot of these questions/issues are being raised in the Questions and Bugs threads, and I'm sure there will be a lot of tweaks in the coming weeks, but if you have big issues, I'd go over there and see if they're being discussed yet.

Personally, I hate change, and yet I'm pretty comfortable with this. I just want the personalized homepage to get ironed out because I rely on the Shows I Follow feature.

3 minutes ago, Delphi said:

I'm really bothered that the main board doesn't have the time stamp and username of the last poster.  Is it just on mine?   Is that a strange thing to be bothered by? 

By "main board," do you mean like the "Arrow" forum?  Mine is showing the time stamp/username.

Forum_Stuff.jpg

5 minutes ago, Adira said:

By "main board," do you mean like the "Arrow" forum?  Mine is showing the time stamp/username.

Forum_Stuff.jpg

Hmm,  yeah,  mine doesn't do that.   I think it's probably too far left on the screen and doesn't show up on my phone.  Thanks though. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Hmm,  yeah,  mine doesn't do that.   I think it's probably too far left on the screen and doesn't show up on my phone.  Thanks though. 

The usernames and timestamps show up on my desktop but not on my phone, so it's not just you.  That's a bit problematic for me since I just constantly refresh the page and check the threads if someone new has recently posted.  I'm hoping that gets worked out, but other than that, the new format will be fine after I get used to the changes.

• Love 3