Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I don't go there enough to recognize the posters but, I have absolutely nothing against them. I just know that going there means lots of Capt Swan squeeing and Regina hate. I like Regina and would rather avoid places that are filled with Regina hate, makes talking about the show less fun.

• Love 2
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think on the OUAT forum the hate for Regina is strong..but imo Regina is the absolute worst. Like some of the complaints for Laurel here apply to her ten-fold.

Sorry, but I could rant about that character for hours. 

• Love 1

I don't really care about OUAT, but I love Regina. I mostly keep watching because I get a kick out of Jane Espenson having the chance to do with Hook the storyline she wanted to do with Spike on Buffy, but got noped in the writers room.

I liked Spike's "growth".  I kinda watched the final season of Buffy and then followed him over to watch the final season of Angel (which I could do since they'd finally gotten rid of Cordelia which I just could not stand with Angel. 

Different Strokes. 

On Angel? There, yes he had actual growth. On Buffy it was just her repeatedly saying "he can be a good man" and him acting as though the son of a woman he killed didn't have a legit grip with him. 

• Love 2

I hated Cordy on Buffy but loved her on Angel. She was probably my favorite character and honestly was the only character that showed any growth. I didn't stop watching after season four but I mostly checked out. Spike was meant to help Cordelia's absence on Buffy, which didn't work so they brought in Anya. Them they tried to do it again on Angel...and it still didn't work. Her absence was clearly felt and having Spike play cynic while Harmony played valley girl didn't even things out.

• Love 4

Haha. Kara/Danny on The Last Ship. Mind you, I'm not even fully watching the show because I can't look at Adam Baldwin's face. But I'm crazy 'shipping and YouTubing everything and I regret nothing. :)

Not gonna lie, Danny's perfectly chiseled face is a HUGE part of the reason I watch The Last Ship.  He's a pretty pretty man.  I think that the writers are holding out on us, though.  No shirtless Danny scenes, no Kara/Danny hookup scenes.  Why, show?  WHY?  I also watch for the laughs.  I mean, one of the super dramatic lines from the first season was "They're burning the bodies to power the city."  Ah hahahah.

• Love 1

Anyone watch/listen to the Top 20 countdown of videos on VH1? 

I used to always DVR it, but noticed it changed it's name to The 20 so it dropped off my list.  I've had it fixed for about a month now and I don't know what is going on with the new host and format.  She makes me want to jab things in my eye.  I used to just let it play in the background - commercials and all -  but now it's all about the FF button. 

(edited)

Not gonna lie, Danny's perfectly chiseled face is a HUGE part of the reason I watch The Last Ship. He's a pretty pretty man. I think that the writers are holding out on us, though. No shirtless Danny scenes, no Kara/Danny hookup scenes. Why, show? WHY? I also watch for the laughs. I mean, one of the super dramatic lines from the first season was "They're burning the bodies to power the city." Ah hahahah.

Haha, yeah, I caught a marathon of the first season on tv a few weekends ago, and my #1 reason for leaving it on was to objectify pretty dudes in uniform. :) I knew the guy playing Danny from Hart of Dixie, but he's prettier now? Hee. And then the Danny/Kara thing grabbed my attention because it caters to all of my 'ship kinks.

But the dialog is awful, YES. Rhona Mitra has my forever respect for giving some dignitiy to some of the junk lines she gets. AND THE MALE VILLAINS, oh my god, they're all like, really offensive cultural-appropriated walking cartoons! At least Alfre Woodard is a legit great actress, and it made it less painful when she turned out ~eeeeevil.

The things I watch for pretty people in love, man.

Edited by dancingnancy
(edited)

Ugh... Terminator Genisys.  It was like 'Michael Bay Does Terminator'.  Heavy on action/stunts/cgi.  Light on character.  They removed all the charm and heart of the original Terminator movie.  They forgot the appeal of the original transformative, emotional journey of Sarah Connor from innocent, klutzy teen to tough, strong woman, or her bittersweet love story with Kyle Reese.  They overestimated the current appeal of Arnold Schwarzennegger.  I think they had to change the original story in order to give Arnold more lines and a bigger part.  That was a mistake.  (All just my opinion, of course.)

It did make me think of why I prefer Arrow to Flash, even though I enjoy both shows.  I like to watch the hero go through a journey - not just a physical journey but a character journey.  Oliver changes a lot as a person, physically, emotionally, mentally, character-wise.  Barry gets superpowers, yes, but he's basically the same nice guy throughout - he's like teflon.  It's difficult to become invested in teflon.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

It did make me think of why I prefer Arrow to Flash, even though I enjoy both shows. I like to watch the hero go through a journey - not just a physical journey but a character journey. Oliver changes a lot as a person, physically, emotionally, mentally, character-wise. Barry gets superpowers, yes, but he's basically the same nice guy throughout - he's like teflon. It's difficult to become invested in teflon.

Totally agree with this statement!

• Love 1

Aside from my superpowers bias, my problem with the Flash is the casting.

It isn't that the actors aren't competent, on the contrary I found them all rather likeable in the pilot and the crossover (even C.Patton, with her imo thankless role, brought some warmth to her character). But the four main all look way too young for me. They could all easily pass for teenagers imo and if on the bright side, it gives more levity to the show, somehow with the light tone it become too much levity -just like Arrow was too much gloom in S3- and it prevents me from taking the whole seriously.

• Love 1

TV teenagers, maybe. I'll grant you that Caitlyn and Cisco look a bit young to be a few years out from grad degrees, but they are supposed to be geniuses. Grant has a baby face, but I totally buy him as mid-20s.

(edited)

I couldn't take Sarah Connor seriously in the new movie because she looks so young. And I really don't see the appeal of Jai Courtney. He isn't bad so much as boring. Bland. It made the romantic scenes hard to watch. Zero chemistry didn't help. The best actors were all bit parts...JK Simmons, Courtney B Vance

All this would have okay if It was a smarter movie. I walked out going Why??? And the humor was flat. They keep trying with Arnold but it kept missing.

Edited by 10Eleven12
(edited)

Does anybody know how to track down screen time for the cast in season one and two?  (with emphasis on two)  I looked in the Unthinkable episode thread but nothing and the ratings thread which I swear is where season three's numbers showed up didn't even start until December during the third season. 

I tried just a general Google search but no luck.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Is there maybe a better thread I should be asking in?  (Since this technically IS on topic for Arrow) 

Edited by BkWurm1

Well I did a Google search and Emily's came up. Don't know how accurate it is.

Season 1 - 115 min

Season 2 - 240 minutes (4 hours worth.)

Thanks for looking.  I couldn't even find that. 

I read so many pages here and elsewhere. I even went through over a thousand posts on Reddit and I never go to Reddit.  (I was reminded why)

I had hoped to see how she compared with the rest of the cast last season.  (Ok, Laurel, I wanted to know how she compared to Laurel.) 

It did make me think of why I prefer Arrow to Flash, even though I enjoy both shows.  I like to watch the hero go through a journey - not just a physical journey but a character journey.  Oliver changes a lot as a person, physically, emotionally, mentally, character-wise.  Barry gets superpowers, yes, but he's basically the same nice guy throughout - he's like teflon.  It's difficult to become invested in teflon.

I'm kind of the opposite with that.  Barry was a good guy before he got powers, despite his mother being killed he always had a smile and was kind to everyone.  He never lost sight of that, and that's what makes him a hero that inspires.  He remembers being powerless, and having these powers isn't going to change the good person he was.  He just sees the powers as a way to help people.  If he can help someone out he's going to do it, it doesn't matter if it's fighting crime, metahumans, helping the new guy at Jitters fill orders on a busy morning, or painting a homeless shelter.

It's no wonder why my favorite comic heroes are Superman and Captain America.

Does anybody know how to track down screen time for the cast in season one and two?  (with emphasis on two)  I looked in the Unthinkable episode thread but nothing and the ratings thread which I swear is where season three's numbers showed up didn't even start until December during the third season. 

I tried just a general Google search but no luck.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Is there maybe a better thread I should be asking in?  (Since this technically IS on topic for Arrow) 

That forging Fire Tumblr has all 3 seasons by episode and character.  I just tried to go to the site but it's asking for a password, not sure why.

(edited)

Here is a screenshot of the screen-times. I may have more screenshots, if I find them I'll update this post.

4OWDlj8.png

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 1
(edited)

Been reading some of the other show news coming out of Comic-Con, and I'm a little depressed. I think I am actually for real done with both OUAT and Grimm. Not really surprised about Grimm - I figured I was done after the disaster that was the last nine episodes. Just kind of sad, because I really used to enjoy that show. OUAT.....I just am finally realizing that there is nothing left on that show that interests me anymore. Especially since

good characters going evil is one of my very least favorite tropes, the upcoming Dark Swan arc

looks particularly unpleasant. :(

i guess I just wish there was something about this upcoming TV season I could get excited about. The only things I'm looking forward to right now are LoT and Agent Carter, and both of those are midseason shows.

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)

I liked what they did with the Batman vs Superman trailer,

with putting Bruce back there while Zod and Supes are fighting. That gives us a good perspective on things.

Beyond that, not a fan of the color palate and having a hard time accepting BA as Batman.  I'll keep trying. 

Edited by BkWurm1

The Sherlock promo was good.

I haven't seen the Suicide Squad trailer - I just have no interest in that movie at all.

But as for BvS, I'm just over DC movies and their grimdarkness. And I don't like Affleck. So....it's a hard sell for me all the way around. I did have a flicker of interest when Diana appeared, but unfortunately she wasn't on long enough for it to be more than that.

After watching nerd HQ with SA and seeing Zachary Levi for the brief moments, it made me realize how much I missed him. I hope Heroes reborn is good for him. The promos are intriguing.

Also agree with earlier posting that the SA & ZL project may be related to the project he hinted about months ago that his daughter would love. I'm thinking animated project perhaps connected to Disney.

• Love 2

I've dropped OUAT after they announced they are making Zelena and Robin regulars - both awful, boring characters that add nothing to the show. I do love Camelot but I really don't give a damn about anybody in the main cast but Emma at this point and I hate Regina and all the characters around her so much (or, rather, the show's insistence that she's the biggest victim evar) that watching that show became a chore for me. Also, that fandom sucks (well, at least the vocal SQ part of it) and the TPTB are letting themselves be bullied by these fans way too often.

As for Grimm, I've actually dropped it two years ago because I really, really hated Juliet and the other stuff on the show wasn't well-written enough to overcome this problem. Also, the mythology on the shows was horrible. No plan at all.

i guess I just wish there was something about this upcoming TV season I could get excited about. The only things I'm looking forward to right now are LoT and Agent Carter, and both of those are midseason shows.

Well I want to check Blindspot with Jaime Alexander and I guess I'll stick with AoS, the last half of s2 was pretty good (but not great). Oh, and there's season 2 of iZombie. 

But I'll also have to wait until midseason for most of my favorite shows (or maybe even summer for The 100).

(edited)

That shitty, leaked Deadpool trailer has given me life. I can't wait for an official version. It's everything I ever wanted and more.

Wait. What? Share, share!

OMG! That was awesome. Oh just so damn perfect.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
(edited)

I haven't seen a full video of the "Women Who Kick Ass" panel posted on youtube yet, but here's a HA clip and an article on it...

Haley Atwell On Her Say In Agent Carter #SDCC
Haley Atwell shares how much says she has in his Agent Carter is shaped. This at the Women Who Kick Ass Panel at Comic Con.

5 kick ass moments from EW's Women Who Kick Ass panel at Comic-Con
We salute Hayley Atwell, Gal Gadot, Jenna Coleman, Gwendoline Christie and Kathy Bates.
BY TIM STACK  Posted July 11 2015 — 10:20 PM EDT
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/11/comic-con-ew-women-kick-ass-panel

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I don't know about Suicide Squad, but the Deadpool trailer was f-ing awesome! 

BvS looks okay, but still too dark and depressing for my tastes. And Wonder Woman spoke? I didn't hear her. I guess I'll have to watch her whole 2 seconds of screen time in the trailer again. 

The only good thing was Jeremy Irons as Alfred but, I always knew that would be perfect.

That was good, I agree.

Lex Luthur is a total casting fail IMO.

I didn't even realize that's who that was supposed to be at first. :(

A little off the current topic. . .

Is anybody else having a really hard time doing anything else this weekend because you're way too absorbed in all of the news from SDCC? This is my first year paying much attention live and/or participating on a site like this. I'm getting fewer than four hours of sleep each night and have obsessively watched or read anything posted here.

Is it always like this on SDCC weekend, or am I just an over-zealous newbie?

• Love 5

It's always like this during sdcc...imagine how little sleep you'd get if you were there.

Just watched the leaked SS trailer...meh. More of that grimdark DC crap and while SS is definitely a dark comic it's also pretty freaking funny/snarky. Would it kill DC to crack a joke once in awhile?

I'll pass on SS and BvS.

(edited)

A little off the current topic. . .

Is anybody else having a really hard time doing anything else this weekend because you're way too absorbed in all of the news from SDCC? This is my first year paying much attention live and/or participating on a site like this. I'm getting fewer than four hours of sleep each night and have obsessively watched or read anything posted here.

Is it always like this on SDCC weekend, or am I just an over-zealous newbie?

Nope.. i have two (three?...) papers (homework like 2 pages top) due by midnight tonight... ummm I kind of started researching one of them.. Yesterday was really bad, I got nothing done! not even laundry or cooking, I don't think I really ate anything yesterday besides a bunch of Ferrero rochers and some fruit. ETA: oh wait, on second thought I made some lamb chops for dinner yesterday.. :-P that was yummy.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1