Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I wanted to watch Kingsman but then I've read that awful tasteless anal sex joke somewhere on the Internet and decided against it. Such poor taste.

(Or was it fake? If it is, I'll change my mind).

I wanted to watch Kingsman but then I've read that awful tasteless anal sex joke somewhere on the Internet and decided against it. Such poor taste.

(Or was it fake? If it is, I'll change my mind).

It was the one line I didn't care for and took me right out  but the rest of the movie is hilarious enough that it was worth it.  Just roll your eyes and move on, is the best strategy I think.  

• Love 1
(edited)
Is The Whispers worth watching? I've thought about trying it but the reviews seem unsure if it's hit or miss and no element of it seems particularly compelling for me.

Right now I have the time in my tv schedule so what is or isn't worth watching is hard to say.   It's held my interest so far but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up wandering away from it.  I enjoy the kind of creepy aspect of these kids being manipulated by their "imaginary friend".  Whether he's actually evil or not is up in the air which is what is keeping me around more than anything.  There is also stuff I'm iffy on like Milo Ventimigilia wandering around without a memory of who he is or what he's been doing and the secret connection of his to the main female protagonist (A child psychologist for FBI or something)  who just before her husband died had been having an affair with the other main protagonist (who has a daughter that hears it from her "friend" that her daddy did something bad) who is investigating weird crap related to everything going on.    

It's one of those shows with a bunch of different stories going on that will all connect eventually.  I'm enjoying that kind of storytelling over on American Odyssey but I'm not sure if I like these main characters enough to stick around. But so far the kid actors have been good. 

Speaking of American Odyssey, enjoyed seeing Allison Mack pop up in it.  She still has such a wonderfully expressive face. 

Edited by BkWurm1

Right now I have the time in my tv schedule so what is or isn't worth watching is hard to say. It's held my interest so far but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up wandering away from it. I enjoy the kind of creepy aspect of these kids being manipulated by their "imaginary friend". Whether he's actually evil or not is up in the air which is what is keeping me around more than anything. There is also stuff I'm iffy on like Milo Ventimigilia wandering around without a memory of who he is or what he's been doing and the secret connection of his to the main female protagonist (A child psychologist for FBI or something) who just before her husband died had been having an affair with the other main protagonist (who has a daughter that hears it from her "friend" that her daddy did something bad) who is investigating weird crap related to everything going on.

It's one of those shows with a bunch of different stories going on that will all connect eventually. I'm enjoying that kind of storytelling over on American Odyssey but I'm not sure if I like these main characters enough to stick around. But so far the kid actors have been good.

Speaking of American Odyssey, enjoyed seeing Allison Mack pop up in it. She still has such a wonderfully expressive face.

I started watching The Whispers for Barry Sloane but wish they'd let him use his own accent. When are the PTB going to realize that accents often add to an actor's appeal? And in some cases, allowing an actor to use his/her native accent enables them to focus more on their actual acting. I agree that the children have been very good. I've been particularly impressed with treehouse girl's long monologues.

I've stuck with American Odyssey even though I'm growing tired of Odelle's somewhat repetitive storyline. Although I've been waiting since ep 1 for a certain someone to die so I actually cheered when it finally happened. And is it just me or do Odelle and Luc have a lot of chemistry?

(edited)

It was the one line I didn't care for and took me right out  but the rest of the movie is hilarious enough that it was worth it.  Just roll your eyes and move on, is the best strategy I think.  

I thought it wasn't that bad of a joke, it's a parody of the horrible sex puns in Bond movies that cause you to groan.  They just came out and said it.

I'm assuming you're not talking about

the fact that the code to Princess Tilde's cell, spells anal.

June 11, 2015 has been a horrible day for legends.  First Christopher Lee and now Dusty Rhodes, 2 legends die in one day.

Edited by Jediknight
I've stuck with American Odyssey even though I'm growing tired of Odelle's somewhat repetitive storyline. Although I've been waiting since ep 1 for a certain someone to die so I actually cheered when it finally happened. And is it just me or do Odelle and Luc have a lot of chemistry?

Lol, I had the same thought and also have been restraining myself from shipping Allison Mack's character with Odelle's husband.  They really should have given the pair a sweet couple flashback because right now I'm having a real hard time imagining them as a couple.  I keep forgetting that they are "together" except for the little thing where he thinks she is dead. 

I've been particularly impressed with treehouse girl's long monologues.

Me too.  She is soo young but so articulate and natural.   

I just finished watching Sense8 and I love that show! I'm glad I didn't listen to the reviewers, who only saw the first 3-4 episodes. I agree those weren't that great, it really started picking up around the 5th and 6th ep then got better and better.They really can't judge Netflix shows like regular shows. Netflix shows know they got a full season so they can take their time to set up the characters first, then build the story up. 

It's a character driven show and those are the shows I really like. All 8 main characters are fully formed in the end, even when their stories were not that interesting. 

• Love 1

Watched the second episode of Stitchers.  I'm not ready to give up on it but the second episode was a mess IMO. (See the Stitcher's forum for details)  It had a few good moments but it also was already contradicting the characterization of the first episode, had a super weak storyline and tried to be funny and wasn't.  It might get better now that it's put all it's players in place but I don't know.  I kind of currently hate the lead actress (but love her roommate -- I want to swap them out though that would totally change the tone of the show)

Any one else watch episode two?

Any one else watch episode two?

I "watched" ep 2 in that I saw the first five minutes, left the room for about 30, and when I came back realized I didn't care enough to rewind what I'd missed. I agree that the roommate is way more interesting than the lead. Not sure if I'm going to continue watching, but there's not much else on and it's decent background noise.

I watched it. It wasn't great. And I agree the lead actress isn't that strong. In the first episode I wasn't sure whether it was the actress or the character she was playing, but....yeah. It's not helping her though the characterization is all over the place, but it's also not helping her that she seems to be surrounded by a cast much better than herself.

In its favor, at least all the main people are in on the secret now, and they've quickly dropped the pretense that they won't actually be doing field work. I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it can work out some of the issues now that all the pieces are in place.

• Love 1

Anyone watching Wayward Pines? I.just finished episode 2 but want to get through two more before Thursday's new episode airs.

So pretty good so far, don't know if I'd have watched during the fall/spring or if it was a full series.

I'm enjoying it too, but I suggest you don't read the episode threads unless you want to be spoiled.  I'm so effing annoyed that I was accidentally spoiled today because apparently people just can't stop themselves from posting shit from the book.  One person was an accident because the spoiler tags messed up, and they apologized, but I guess the others doing it just don't care.

I'm enjoying it too, but I suggest you don't read the episode threads unless you want to be spoiled. I'm so effing annoyed that I was accidentally spoiled today because apparently people just can't stop themselves from posting shit from the book. One person was an accident because the spoiler tags messed up, and they apologized, but I guess the others doing it just don't care.

I saw the discussion after the fact. Thankfully by the time I got through episode 5, all spoilers had been deleted.

I'm really enjoying this show, I'm even contemplating buying the books.

My favorite summer show right now is Sense8 on Netflix. Great plot, great characters, great acting, just loved it. 

I am giving Stitchers some time to get better. ABC Family has earned some goodwill from me.

I`m really looking forward to Killjoys. It looks very Firefly-ish. Plus, Aaron Ashmore!

• Love 1
(edited)

My city is going crazy right now with the Blackhawks win. I probably won't get much sleep tonight with people running around the streets screaming and blowing off fireworks.

Edited by Sakura12

Is anybody else in Stephen's Nocking Point wine club?

I joined early winter and have received my second shipment. It's a bit of an indulgence, given that I do not like wine at all! I only drink spirits--love bourbon! My husband drinks the wine, and I keep the bottles and special gifts. I'm spending $400-500/year just for the exclusive gifts (especially in the Christmas delivery)--are they worth it?

Honestly, I just adore Stephen to a very embarrassing degree and am happy to support pretty much everything he does! He seems refreshingly genuine and nice for a celebrity.

The wine club has a waiting list to join, so hopefully they're able to grow the business to widen distribution. I wonder what limitations there are in that industry--you'd think they'd want to tap into their home country's market.

Is SA pretty popular there? There are so many great--and famous--Canadians who've made it big in the US.

I'm very tired of the derision and overt misogyny of people who sneer "fan girl" in response to any (perceived) female fan. Therefore, I'd like to start Fan Girl Profiles to show the diversity of our demographic.

FAN GIRL PROFILE: EMERALDARCHER

College professor in STEM field

Published author (fiction and non-fiction print books with publishing contract, peer-reviewed journals)

Editor

Entrepreneur

Trail Racer

Sexual assault survivor

LGBTQ advocate

Political activist

Genius: 156 IQ

Knitter

ENTJ Personality (rarest for women, at less than 1%)

Marriage partner for 20+ years

Expert body surfer

Imbiber of whiskey, Scotch, and bourbon

College football fan

Arrow fan girl

Current favorite novel: Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Current favorite non-fiction book: The Pleasure of Finding Things Out by Richard Feynman

• Love 3

I live in Canada. It sucks that they don't ship it here. They'd get so much money.

Wanna hear what sucks more? I live in the US and they can't ship to my state, because it has as stupid alcohol importation law...

Regarding is it worth it and why they don't expend.. I don't know if the wine is worth i've never tried it, and a quick google search found a couple of reviews (none of them from anyone I am familiar with or is in the business. on a personal opinion: i'd be cautious to say it is a great wine, my guess would be that it is a decent to very good wine. the website is so obscure about whether NP grow grapes and do the entire process/ purchase grapes from the region and than do the process/ purchase the juice already pressed and than ferment it. (maybe they mention it on the Dudes being dudes thing they did..) all three have their positive and negative, however most high quality vineyards will grow their own grapes to have maximum control over quality.

on why they are not expending: wine business is a tough business to even set a foot in the door, let alone succeed in (so many variables and the majority of them are not even man made). business wise, it was a very smart move on their part to go the wine club route rather than start trying to find merchants and stores that would stock their wine. doing the club means they can produce a small amount and know that it will all sale out, meaning they will actually balance the books, and maybe even make a profit. but.. I highly doubt we'll see the wine in regular stores anytime soon..

I want to be friends IRL!

Fan girl profile: WaitAndHope

Elected official (being a little vague on purpose)

Wife of a beautiful man inside and out

Proud Soccer Mom

Avowed Democrat

Feminist

Lawyer

Charitable activist

horrible homemaker

Lapsed Jock

Baseball Lover

Former writer

graduate of four degrees with various honors

40 YO

I love my Arrow obsession and all my TV obsessions. They make me happy. It's a little weird, no doubt, to most people, so I don't put it on campaign literature or anything...but I've learned to just embrace it after all this time.

And I think it's fun to enter into deep fandom. I'm actually considering taking my older kids to a Con later this year. I've never been to one. What do y'all think?

• Love 2

I just watched the first episode of the new Poldark series, and I'm getting such a Laurel vibe from Elizabeth.  Maybe not as much as I would have got from the original series where Elizabeth was much more of a cold fish, but there is that feeling.

A difference being is that Elizabeth was never intended to be endgame.

I just watched the first episode of the new Poldark series, and I'm getting such a Laurel vibe from Elizabeth.  Maybe not as much as I would have got from the original series where Elizabeth was much more of a cold fish, but there is that feeling.

This Elizabeth is fairly noble, at least as far as I can tell from the first episode.  The Elizabeth from the original production in the seventies...yeah, the Laurel analogy works.  And, thinking about it, the Felicity/Demelza comparison can be seen.

This is the series I've been waiting for this sumnmer!  So happy it's finally here.

• Love 1

This Elizabeth is fairly noble, at least as far as I can tell from the first episode.  The Elizabeth from the original production in the seventies...yeah, the Laurel analogy works.  And, thinking about it, the Felicity/Demelza comparison can be seen.

This is the series I've been waiting for this sumnmer!  So happy it's finally here.

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm two books into the series, so I've really been looking forward to this too. The eye candy that is Aidan Turner doesn't hurt either. ;)

• Love 2

Nah, I don't get a Laurel vibe from Elizabeth. To me it seems like they're actually trying to make this modern version of Elizabeth a lot more likable than both the 70s TV version and the books and having seen all of the episodes already, I think they've succeeded. I found myself sympathizing quite a bit with this Elizabeth--especially as

things start to break down with Francis.

I just rewatched the first episode from the 70's production and they do succeed, at least, in making Elizabeth more sympathetic.  I was reminded of my immediate dislike of her from back then.  Now, it's more, she's the one looking for Ross to return to talk things through, whereas he went to her originally and begged and schemed to get her back as she continually rebuffed him.  

So interesting that you said that because I totally got the same vibe, LOL. I adore Demelza and you can definitely see the Felicity parallels...awkward yet adorable, tends to say the wrong thing, strong-minded, opinionated, unlikely love interest to the hero. In short, I love her. :)

You guys make me very happy I DVR'd whatever Polduck is.  I'm coming in totally blind beyond PBS and period piece.  Hey, that was enough to hit the record button at least.  Now I can't wait to get home and watch it.

• Love 1

For comic fans, exactly how important is it that Sue Storm is blonde? I'm watching the new Fantastic Four trailer and cringing at the dye job on Kate Mara. Not as bad as Jessica Alba, but not good.

Watched a bit of Anna Paquin's cut role in X-Men. She was my favorite character on the 90's X-Men. Wish I got to see a bit more of that personality in the later films. Wish they didn't seem to completely forget about Rogue in the movies. I loved her and Wolverine's friendship (I might have mildly shipped them as well). 

• Love 3

Watched a bit of Anna Paquin's cut role in X-Men. She was my favorite character on the 90's X-Men. Wish I got to see a bit more of that personality in the later films. Wish they didn't seem to completely forget about Rogue in the movies. I loved her and Wolverine's friendship (I might have mildly shipped them as well).

Right there with you on the kind of shipping them.  I really don't understand why they dropped her character like they did.  I was watching for her more than anyone and they just dropped her it seems.  Still bugs me.  

(edited)

They dropped her in the 3rd movie and then again in DoFP? I haven't watched the latest yet, I wasn't really all that impressed with First Class but I'm sure I'll catch DoFP now that it's on cable.

As for Rogue/Wolverine friendship bah! Did not like at all. That should have been Jubilee's story, my favorite SoCal teen hardly had any scenes. Granted they could have given it to Kitty too but I don't like her.

I know why they had to avoid the Carol Danvers stuff but Rouge not having Captain Marvel's powers really limited her story. I believe that a large part of Rouge's comics personality came from being raised by Mystique and absorbing Carol's powers and maybe a little of her personality.

IIRC Rouge/Wolverine was very popular in fanfic after the first movie.

Edited by Morrigan2575

They seemed to drop the Mystique/Rogue storyline to make Raven, Xavier's adopted sister. Which could've been interesting had Mystique and Professor X had any meaningful interactions in the first three movies. I don't even think they spoke to each other. Jubliee is the next movie, I don't what her storyline will be. 

I also finally got around to watching Un-Real and love it. I hate Reality TV Shows with a passion. I don't understand their popularity. I don't find watching a bunch of entitled a-holes running around trying to get camera time exciting. But I love a scripted show making fun of it and showing us how not real they are.

Quinn reminds me of Constance Zimmer's character Penny on Good Morning, Miami, well if she had ambition. I probably think that because I found that someone just posted the unaired episodes of Good Morning, Miami on Youtube. 

• Love 2
(edited)

All I knew about X-Men was from the cartoon so I was confused about Rogue. And I wondered where Gambit was. I still hated the Wolverine/Jean/Scott thing. Just could not warm to Jean because of it, Logan would become unlikable and felt bad from Scott (and disappointed in him because I think he was cooler in the cartoon). That cartoon does not age well though. At All. LOL

I did enjoy X-Men: Evolution for the most part. It was High School AU fanfic. It had some huge clunkers (the girl's night out episode when the leave the boys at home to fight crime, only to need to be rescued later on) but also some interesting ones (Apocalypse/Four Horseman). I wish they had time-jumped and continued it longer and went darker. Young Justice was another one I was really surprised I liked, tho I shouldn't have been because as I'm typing this I'm mentally going thru all the great comic-insprised cartoons that I loved. 

BTAS is the standard (I'm also pretty sure I shipped Batman/Catwoman before I knew what that was, they are the Bat pairing I can't shake). Can I say Kevin Conroy is the best Batman ever? Superman was fun, but never reached Batman levels of amazing. So amazing it still holds up too. Batman Beyond did not deserve to be canceled. It started a bit slow, but it got really good. I was hesitate to watch the Justice League but once I started I'm pretty sure I binged three seasons in one go. Pretty sure the live-action won't be able to touch it.

Off the superhero train, did anyone watch Gargoyles? I was re watching recently and it struck me again just how smart it was. That opening sequence still gets to me. 

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 7

I loved Gargoyles. I should do a rewatch, haven't watched it since the '90s. And Greg Weisman went on to create Young Justice, so it might be fun to compare and contrast his storyline and character building.

Also: Rogue/Gambit OTP 4eva! Yes.

• Love 3
(edited)

It never even occurred to me to ship Wolverine with Rogue in the movies. He was like a big brother figure to her and she was a teenager. No, just no.

I've never seen any animated series (TBH I can't stand Western animation except for ATLA, it's either pretty childish or horribly animated) and I'm not a comic reader so I didn't have any prior opinion about the characters, but I was really disappointed they've dropped Rogue so fast, she was the character I've sympathized with the most. I didn't really mind the idea of a love triangle with Jean because it's always interesting for me to see the lead character as a real, not perceived, underdog in this kind of situation (and Scott and Jean were so ironclad - AFAIK - that he really was the third wheel there), but the realization was pretty bad. 

I liked First Class/Days of Future Past much better, even if the whole Raven situation was such an obvious retcon. I'm a bit disappointed that seems to be the only important female character left, it kinda sucks. I know they're going to bring in teenage versions of Jean and Storm but I'm not sure how well it's going to work out.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
(edited)

I loved Gargoyles. I should do a rewatch, haven't watched it since the '90s. And Greg Weisman went on to create Young Justice, so it might be fun to compare and contrast his storyline and character building.

Also: Rogue/Gambit OTP 4eva! Yes.

Loved Gargoyles, fantastic show.

I hate Rogue/Gambit it made the.characters unlikable (for me). Those two characters are far more interesting and appealing when kept away from that angst filled romance (IMO).

Jubliee is the next movie, I don't what her storyline will be.

Yeah, I even saw a BTS photo of young Jubilee and young Jean which is hilarious to me since the comics tried to keep Jubilee a kid forever. She's been so misused by both Comics and movies that I don't hold out much hope for her on Age of Apocalypse.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
(edited)

Gargoyles was a great show.

Is anyone checking out Humans on AMC tomorrow? It looks somewhat interesting and it's British, so I'll give it a shot. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2