Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

My local family will gather for our Thanksgiving dinner on Friday afternoon. That stuff can happen with a couple of first responders in the mix, because work schedules. I'm good with it. TBH Thanksgiving isn't my favorite holiday for personal reasons. I'm fine with the shifted date for the family gathering. May run to the grocery store on T'day for the fixings for the big green salad I'm making; they will be open until 4pm. After quite a spell of mild weather we're gonna get slammed with cold and snow just in time for Friday, LOL. 

Thanksgiving is on Friday this year in my family too. I wasn’t the one who requested the change but I really appreciate it— it’s knocked the travel/work/etc. stress down several notches. 

• Like 8

Hope those who celebrated had a stress-, argument- and tear-free day and that all of us managed to avoid the hell that can be Black Friday!

This week someone I have met recently said something to me that was truly kind and thoughtful.  It was totally unexpected and I think came from their heart, and it touched me deeply.  I just wanted to share, because it's so good to know that there really are good people out there.  And it's always a good reminder for me to reach out to someone who might be having a bad day or who needs a helping hand.

• Like 10
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 4

on a similar topic, did anyone watch the 2-part documentary called "let us prey'? it was about the IFB church. it was on this past weekend (cant remember the channel but i had set it to record  a while ago when someone had mentioned it). anyway, it was quite interesting. no familiar names to me, but i bet some of you all will recognize some of the men involved. very sad storied. makes the whole dugger/bates style church situation more clear to me in many ways....the grooming etc. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, zoomama said:

on a similar topic, did anyone watch the 2-part documentary called "let us prey'? it was about the IFB church. it was on this past weekend (cant remember the channel but i had set it to record  a while ago when someone had mentioned it). anyway, it was quite interesting. no familiar names to me, but i bet some of you all will recognize some of the men involved. very sad storied. makes the whole dugger/bates style church situation more clear to me in many ways....the grooming etc. 

I haven’t watched it yet, but it’s on HBO Max.

• Useful 2

I am watching now.  In my opinion it is put together very poorly.  So many commercials, and they seem to be at random and in inappropriate places.  This production is showing how badly the IFB churches treat women and girls.  They delve much deeper than SHP did.  It does make sense that FF was allowed to act and get away with so much.  This program is exposing the fact that there is so much child abuse going on under the guise of a church.  Blanket training almost looks tame.  I just wish the production was much better.  All the commercials are really distracting.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

I've stalled out on it a bit.  There's a limit to how many stories of abuse I can absorb/endure.  I understand there were so many victims and they all want to and deserve to tell their story, but I don't have the bandwith.

Funny/sad story:  when we were clearing out my parents' house we found a copy of one of the Hyles-Anderson books.  Yikes. I think it's titled How to Be the Wife of a Happy Husband.

• Hugs 10
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I've stalled out on it a bit.  There's a limit to how many stories of abuse I can absorb/endure.  I understand there were so many victims and they all want to and deserve to tell their story, but I don't have the bandwith.

Same here. I've recorded the episodes, but just couldn't watch much of the first one. As you said, I just didn't have the bandwidth for it at the time. I have HBO/Max and may someday watch it there. 

• Like 6

on the topic of the commercials, they were a bit (a lot) jarring. you would be a a big moment and it goes straight into a commercial with no break. a few times i was like...what is going on here?! then realized it was a commercial.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

on the topic of the commercials, they were a bit (a lot) jarring. you would be a a big moment and it goes straight into a commercial with no break. a few times i was like...what is going on here?! then realized it was a commercial.

That sounds like poor editing. 

• Like 2

Anyone do Giving Tuesday?

So many pleas for help. We have donated to many in the past. This year we chose local women and children's shelter and sent them their most urgently needed item - underwear.

Second donation - very small, local food and clothing pantry also in need of underwear for all ages. We have donated underwear to many places, for many years, because I hold fast to everyone needs their own, never worn before underwear. No tighty whiteys for boys - same sports briefs i buy my own grands. Bras for tweens and teens is also an overlooked, much needed item.

Not a glamorous gift, but a needed gift.

I hate gimmicks like giving tuesday, but underwear yep I will donate every dang time.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 11
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, crazy8s said:

So many pleas for help. We have donated to many in the past. This year we chose local women and children's shelter and sent them their most urgently needed item - underwear.

Second donation - very small, local food and clothing pantry also in need of underwear for all ages. We have donated underwear to many places, for many years, because I hold fast to everyone needs their own, never worn before underwear. No tighty whiteys for boys - same sports briefs i buy my own grands. Bras for tweens and teens is also an overlooked, much needed item.

I hate gimmicks like giving tuesday, but underwear yep I will donate every dang time.

I do Giving Tuesday. Usually I will donate money to PawsChicago or Best Buddies. A friend of mine has a December birthday and usually collects toys at her bday party for Toys for Tots. 

I agree- undergarments are a much needed and under provided item. That and toiletries along with period & incontinence products are needed by so many. How thoughtful for you to donate. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, crazy8s said:

To the library. Literacy is so important. My fondest memories are of me reading books all the time as a kid. Loved the library too. Sadly due to the budget cuts the library lost Sunday service and cuts to buy books… that’s depressing.

9B4D0134-C4E2-4FEF-B421-972D18A02E40.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Sad 6
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

OMG I had leftover Brie cheese spread. I put it in the mashed potatoes. It was pretty good!

I once put leftover horseradish from a special event at work in my mashed potatoes thinking it was sour cream. It was surprisingly good and now I keep it in the house.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

Our library system is county-wide with 19 branches and separate mobile options for kids and adults.  I can never say enough good things about them.  They did a week of supporting banned books with the message that they would never participate in blocking certain titles from showing up on their shelves.  And, in conjunction with that, Mr. Six bought me this shirt, which I wore proudly.

image.thumb.png.25652c5091a6982877919aab5f419af2.png

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 14

I just learned that my oldest cousin on my Mom's side is gravely ill with masses showing on her lungs and liver. I think she's 74. She's a smart cookie who has been in my life forever, though she lives far away. Thankfully, two of her children are with her. It's just so sad that she's in such serious condition when we're all merry making, getting ready for Christmas. 😢

• Hugs 18
  • Sad 7

Days like that are so frustrating, but I see you're already looking on the bright side, @Scarlett45  - I agree that today is gloomy in the Chicago area! We got rained on when we went to the grocery store.

We finished decorating for Christmas today and started on some online shopping. I know some people are already done, but we traveled for Thanksgiving and just got back on Wednesday. I needed yesterday to recoup from traveling.

We're so excited because our youngest and her husband will be coming on Christmas Eve, staying over and heading to his parents on Christmas. We're trying to plan a delicious dinner and looking forward to adult time, since they don't have kids. My daughter's birthday falls at Christmas time, so we can celebrate that too. I think we'll visit the grandkids after Christmas when things are more relaxed. Plans can change, so who knows?

• Like 14
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

I just got home from my first visit with the radiation oncologist, who is very nice.  My tumor is not malignant, but it is pretty large.  I found a lady who has a "handy woman" business who drove me this morning, and will drive to all my appointments.  She needs the money, and I don't want to drive that far, so I think it will all work out.  I have an appointment at 8:00 AM Monday for another MRI and to have the radiation mask fitted, and then it will be 5 radiation sessions that can be all in one week.  Hopefully, this will keep it from growing.  It is getting close to my brain stem, so we want to keep it in check.  I see a lot of MRIs in my future (I HATE MRIs), but it is still better than cutting a hole in my skull.  I feel good just knowing I have a plan in place.  I'll see after the mask fitting--I hope it is not too bad.

Sending you well wishes! So scary.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 12/1/2023 at 2:47 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I just got home from my first visit with the radiation oncologist, who is very nice.  My tumor is not malignant, but it is pretty large.  I found a lady who has a "handy woman" business who drove me this morning, and will drive to all my appointments.  She needs the money, and I don't want to drive that far, so I think it will all work out.  I have an appointment at 8:00 AM Monday for another MRI and to have the radiation mask fitted, and then it will be 5 radiation sessions that can be all in one week.  Hopefully, this will keep it from growing.  It is getting close to my brain stem, so we want to keep it in check.  I see a lot of MRIs in my future (I HATE MRIs), but it is still better than cutting a hole in my skull.  I feel good just knowing I have a plan in place.  I'll see after the mask fitting--I hope it is not too bad.

I'm glad you've got transportation and your tumor isn't malignant. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
On 12/1/2023 at 2:47 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I'm having a hard time picturing a radiation mask, but I do hope that whoever designed it kept comfort at the forefront.

I swear one reason women don't get mammograms as often as they should is because they are so painful, at least if you have little boobies.  And I just know a man invented the machine, because no woman would invent anything so awkward and exposing and, again, painful.  I know some men have to get mammograms, and I can't imagine how horrible that must be if they're "flat chested", but, come on, the indignities and pain women put up with to get basic health care is just ridiculous.  The speculums and the very position women have to take to have an internal, it's barbaric.

Sorry, got myself going on a late night rant there!  Maybe this should be in the Pet Peeves thread, but I have so many peeves these days I think I may have to spread the wealth over here a bit.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3

A radiation mask is mesh that is hardened in a mold of the face. Its worn to keep the head in the right position so the radiation stays right on target. The treatments are very quick. Less than 15 minutes.

Wishing @CalicoKitty easy breezy treatments and long term success. Full on frontal, virtual hugs to you. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1

Oh man, I just got back from the grocery store with KC. I wanted to go early in the morning before the crowds, but it was also before my brain kicked in because I forgot to give him his ADHD meds or take my meds.

Everyone in the store knew exactly what we bought, what he wanted for Christmas, how much he liked Oreos, Chocolate milk, gummy bears, hot wheel cars, and half a dozen other things I didn't buy. He wasn't complaining or naughty, just very loud and talked the entire time. He is simultaneously amusing and exhausting. 😄 

I kind of want a nap, but those dishes aren't going to wash themselves. 

• Hugs 14
10 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I swear one reason women don't get mammograms as often as they should is because they are so painful, at least if you have little boobies. 

And the fact that it’s not common enough knowledge that the level of pain can vary DRASTICALLY depending on where a pre-menopausal woman is in her menstrual cycle. “Oh it’s just a little discomfort, it doesn’t hurt that much.” How about a more honest “if it hurt there might be something we can do to make it not hurt so much.” 

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I mean thank goodness for mammogram machines. But no one is surprised there has never been a diagnostic medical device that squeezes penises in it.

My response, in case you can't tell, is "wry laugh" not just "LOL, wow that's hilarious laugh."

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, Panopticon said:

And the fact that it’s not common enough knowledge that the level of pain can vary DRASTICALLY depending on where a pre-menopausal woman is in her menstrual cycle. “Oh it’s just a little discomfort, it doesn’t hurt that much.” How about a more honest “if it hurt there might be something we can do to make it not hurt so much.” 

I had a mamo tech tell me that often women have been drinking before their appointments.  The new machine that our hospital used this year was actually much better.  You just had to make sure you don't get smacked in the head by the clear plastic shield.  But the test was much faster and less painful than before.

• Like 8

On 11/29/2023 at 11:39 PM, SDVegas said:

I thought the dining task was much easier than it should have been. Seems to me that it would have / should have been: look at the menu and commit all 12 dishes to memory, then get the food and present it to the diners. John even went back to check the menu board in the middle of getting dishes for one of the courses. There wasn’t much memory required in that memory task. 

This is easy to you?!  Wow, I'm in awe.  I've variously read that the average human brain can remember between 4 and 7 random objects.  This was 12 items in a foreign language, in a stressful situation.  I was actually flabbergasted at how quickly they successfully knocked this off.  Just me?

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

This is easy to you?!  Wow, I'm in awe.  I've variously read that the average human brain can remember between 4 and 7 random objects.  This was 12 items in a foreign language, in a stressful situation.  I was actually flabbergasted at how quickly they successfully knocked this off.  Just me?

I’m impressed, but then I’m pretty easily impressed by this kind of thing. The other day I was checking into a hotel, and three of us got into an elevator. You had to wave your card over the reader and push your floor button simultaneously. All three of us tried and failed. Finally, the first woman got it to work and she pushed her floor, my floor, and the other person‘s floor before her “validation” expired without asking either of us for a reminder. I told her how impressed I was since she probably hadn’t gone into the day thinking she was going to be playing number memory games. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
16 hours ago, Ancaster said:

mammograms as often as they should is because they are so painful, at least if you have little boobies.  t.

on a similar note, regarding the mammogram, i just had mine done this last week. reminding you all i am 3 months post -shoulder replacement. let me tell you that thing hurt like HUGE! it truly brought tears to my eyes on the surgery side. i have had many mammograms done in the past and never really had a lot to complain about, just general discomfort. but this time the 'corner' of the plastic plate went right into the joint where i had the surgery and there was no mercy. i am still sore, 5 days later. will be seeing the surgeon in about a week so  will be discussing this and seeing if it is normal recovery pain.

• Hugs 14
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

on a similar note, regarding the mammogram, i just had mine done this last week. reminding you all i am 3 months post -shoulder replacement. let me tell you that thing hurt like HUGE! it truly brought tears to my eyes on the surgery side. i have had many mammograms done in the past and never really had a lot to complain about, just general discomfort. but this time the 'corner' of the plastic plate went right into the joint where i had the surgery and there was no mercy. i am still sore, 5 days later. will be seeing the surgeon in about a week so  will be discussing this and seeing if it is normal recovery pain.

I'm so sorry.  I'm surprised they would put you through that.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, zoomama said:

I may be unpopular but after very dark bruises and  pain that lasted two weeks, I've become a crank about it.  I've made one tech stop and remove the plastic and go get someone else.  I've told others to stop cranking the pressure or release it some.  

I had a long discussion with one of the techs where I go and she said there was no reason for me to have pain.  She told me it isn't the compression that matters as much as not moving.  She has never put me in pain or left bruises so it can be done.  

If someone had me in or near tears, I'd complain to as many people in management at the place as I could find.  There's no excuse for it.  If it hurts that much, they should stop and reschedule when you've healed.  

I also refuse to let the fusspot radiologist review mine after she wanted excessive redos.  You can refuse to let medical personnel torture you.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 7

I once went for a mammogram and got a cranky tech. I was left with a bruise that lasted for months. Probably closer to a year. When I complained nobody cared. Not my OB-GYN, not my primary care physician and most certainly not the hospital when I complained about the procedure and lasting physical damage. It took years…quite a few years before I was willing to go back for another. It may be routine for them to do them, but it isn’t always easy for us. Would a little kindness hurt? 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 11
16 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I once went for a mammogram and got a cranky tech. I was left with a bruise that lasted for months. Probably closer to a year. When I complained nobody cared. Not my OB-GYN, not my primary care physician and most certainly not the hospital when I complained about the procedure and lasting physical damage. It took years…quite a few years before I was willing to go back for another. It may be routine for them to do them, but it isn’t always easy for us. Would a little kindness hurt? 

My sister's bff had breast cancer. A hematoma burst and messed up the tech's machine, I guess. The tech actually said in disgust, "I can't believe they let you keep your breast!" That horrible woman actually got in big trouble for that hateful comment. (Sister's bff is healthy now - that was years ago.) My other sister had a cranky tech recently. I'm so sorry you were hurt and not listened to when you complained, @Mindthinkr! I have only had kind, very professional techs, so I've been lucky so far. I find mammograms to be uncomfortable, but not painful. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I'm replying to myself because something I quoted and replied to (see above) ended up on this thread instead of the Amazing Race thread.  Much of technology baffles me at the best of times, so how this happened is totally beyond me.

What is so wonderful is that you guys are so lovely, three of you gave a thumbs up reaction to the obviously insane woman.  So thanks for making my day!

• Like 10
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I'm replying to myself because something I quoted and replied to (see above) ended up on this thread instead of the Amazing Race thread.  Much of technology baffles me at the best of times, so how this happened is totally beyond me.

What is so wonderful is that you guys are so lovely, three of you gave a thumbs up reaction to the obviously insane woman.  So thanks for making my day!

Some of us are fans of The Amazing Race, too, and knew exactly what you were talking about.  I had to check the headers to make sure I was reading in the right thread.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1