Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Danse Vaudou

Episode Synopsis:

In New Orleans, Constantine's unusual knowledge of a string of crimes gets him into trouble with Detective Jim Corrigan. He must form an unholy alliance with Papa Midnite when a voodoo ritual to help people communicate with their dead loved ones takes a deadly turn.

That was great!

Jim Corrigan!!!

Papa Midnight! Looking contrite, then fierce!

The ghosts were cool and had very sad backstories.

Zed is really growing on me. I liked how she tried to keep Philip around.

Chas? You are my hero! Like Wolverine says, yeah he can take almost fatal blows, but it still hurts. You are so cool just asking for a new shirt. Bless you!!

So many thoughts. One of which was what exactly is Papa Midnight's sister's name. It sounded like another DC mage's name. Just wanting to be clear.

Might have to watch this one again!

• Love 2

Is Jim Corrigan another character from the comics?  The way they used him, it sounded like he was a big deal.  And, what was going on with that final shot, where Zed saw him disfigured and glowing green?

Already got an episode where Constantine and Papa Midnite have to be reluctant allies.  Still, it was fun.  Enjoyed their bickering, and arguing over whose magical powers are better.

Glad Chas was back, and it's a good thing that his healing powers are still working for him.  That certainly looked painful.

Even with that disfigured face, I still found Spirit Misaki kind of hot...

The Darkness is coming?  Uh oh...

• Love 2

I can appreciate your views. It's a show that has a crippling amount of expectations heaped on it. It's just a baby show, but after this latest episode, like you, I think it knows, or is starting to understand, what is working better.

I loved every scene Papa midnight was in. He's very charismatic, so I can see why even little grannies would come to him for spiritual help/guidance. I appreciated his disdain of John's hodge-podge ways to the magical arts.

But, back to the piece. I think you outlined what is at work behind the scenes; the test kitchen approach to story elements. What's too gross? Is that too much background to throw at the audience? Which characters from the books and DC in general fit with what we want to tell? This element isn't working, so what will? That the female lead was changed after filming a pilot had to be a nail-biting decision for all involved. Kudos for the crew that had the bollocks to charge on!

I tell folks I don't watch scary movies because I like to sleep. Yet, this show- even tamer than the books- has me eager for more the second the credits roll!  I'll take the occasional night of up-too-late for this show.

So? Next week then?

• Love 3

thuganomics, if you are able, there is an attribution in the opening credits, to another comics character. I don't want to spoil anyone or bore those not into comics. Jim Corrigan is indeed destined for something more.

Still, it was fun.  Enjoyed their bickering, and arguing over whose magical powers are better.

Their bickering, bantering and the fisticuffs were highlights of these two. Papa still angry over The Acetate felt right. John fighting the sleep powder was fun too.  I was not sure what to expect about Papa Midnight for the show, but I am enjoying him and his actor a lot! His communion and communications with his sister felt heartfelt.

I like that Zed's visions are unexpected and show up in all sorts of places. It makes things a bit 'take a drink', yet keeps us on our toes, on the lookout.

Still enjoying this one.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2

Is Jim Corrigan another character from the comics?  The way they used him, it sounded like he was a big deal.  And, what was going on with that final shot, where Zed saw him disfigured and glowing green?

Jim Corrigan in the comics:

He's not actually from the Hellblazer comics, but rather the main DC Universe. There's been a few different variations, but they seem to be going with the original Golden/Silver Age version, which is also what the current New52 incarnation of him is going with.

Basically Jim Corrigan is a cop who gets killed, but instead of going to Heaven he gets merged with the Spirit of God's Vengeance and becomes The Spectre. The Spectre goes around exacting vengeance in God's name to people who he judges are guilty. The Green Glow that Zed saw was an allusion to The Spectre's appearance (he's depicted as a pale human clad only in a green cloak, often with a green magical glow about him)

The Spectre is one of, if not the, most powerful entities in the DC Universe. He basically has the powers of God, since he is carrying out judgement in His Name. He tends to show up when there are the huge crossover "Fate of the Multiverse!" events happening.

Edited by Agent Dark

The forced UST was back again.

"Jackass of all trades", hee, they really can't stand each other. They are a lot similar than they think. Although, Papa Midnight manages to get rich using his skills. I don't know how Constantine gets his money. From Chas' cab-driving?

http://youtu.be/ELBDBua4k3w

- The story about Emmet Scanlan and Matt Ryan riding the same car to the same audition(s) for the same role, was amusing. Glad Matt won out in the end.

- The writer said that the model ghost was based on a Japanese urban legend. Does anyone know what story was she referring too? The whole face mask spirit was naggingly familiar but I don't think I knew it from Japanese creepypasta. More likely, it was a movie or something.

• Love 1

Aaah! I waited until morning to post, and you guys took some of the best comments! 

Jim, the 80s called, and they want that beard back. :-) I'm glad to hear that he's important beyond this episode. They certainly spent a lot of time fleshing him out. For some reason I find him terribly unsettling, as normal as he seems.

Papa Midnite did indeed have some of the best lines, particularly when he referred to John. "Jackass of all trades" has already been mentioned, but I also liked "street wizard". I'm sure there were a couple more that made me laugh. Also, his jacket is gorgeous.

The tag-team ritual/exorcism was beyond awesome. I may have actually clapped. :-D

For someone who uses a cafeteria/buffet approach to magic, John doesn't have a lot of respect for any religion or tradition. It makes me want to smack him, but it's perfect for his character; he's seen so much, he's tired, jaded. He doesn't have time for niceties. He wouldn't be the same if he was politically-correct and worried about causing offense.

I did do a lot of exclaiming "John! No!" at the TV, I have to admit. Except for when I was exclaiming, "Chas! No!" that is. 

Chas is so chill about his power, it's hilarious.

Zed. Oh, Zed. I want to dislike her, but she's so useful, and actually "appears" to give a crap about the people she's helping. She and John better stop flirting though - it's only going to end in blood and hellfire, I'm sure.

No Manny? Didn't really need him, I suppose.

Good catch on the Japanese urban legend. I remember reading about it, but I didn't have a cite. I don't think there's a "right" answer to the spirit's question, but Chas gave it a good try.

Is it more accurate to call the accidentally-raised deceased spirits, or ghouls? Or something else? John did say cancer guy was sucking the life out of his wife.

There was another "This workplace has gone X days without an incident"-moment, dark humor-wise, but I can't recall it now. So frustrating! Are past episodes available on Hulu or something? 

Even though she was misguided, the grandma was kind of special. If you look at the actress, she is not your typical "Hollywood" grandma. She's short. She's seriously overweight. She's not good-looking. It's like she's a regular person! Nice job, show! 

I'm actually pretty impressed with this show at the moment, and that's something that hasn't happened since the Hannibal TV series. :-)

Their bickering, bantering and the fisticuffs were highlights of these two. Papa still angry over The Acetate felt right. John fighting the sleep powder was fun too.  I was not sure what to expect about Papa Midnight for the show, but I am enjoying him and his actor a lot! His communion and communications with his sister felt heartfelt.

I like that Zed's visions are unexpected and show up in all sorts of places. It makes things a bit 'take a drink', yet keeps us on our toes, on the lookout.

Really liked this one, and as you said, I love the banter and bickering between Constantine and Papa Midnite. Really like Midnite's character too - I mean he seems shady and evil at times, then switches into this little lost boy "what did I do?" attitude. Like him a lot.

Same with Zed - she's not a damsel in distress, gets things done and is very capable. Like Manny too!

Creepy stuff man - like we'll just dig up three bodies and burn them, no one will notice! The three woman - the grandman, the girlfriend and friend - man, that's a lot of guilt to have to raise the dead, but it was a good episode. Look forward to the four of them working cases together.

I don't read the comics so thank you for explaining who Jim Corrigan was? Damn, that final vision for Zed was freaky!

• Love 2

I was just about to drop this show but this episode brought me back. Although, for me, the epsiode has made the show a lot better, I think this season will have a few more bumps until they are able to iron out the overall kinks for the next season. (If it gets a next season.)

• Love 1

The forced UST was back again.

"Jackass of all trades", hee, they really can't stand each other. They are a lot similar than they think. Although, Papa Midnight manages to get rich using his skills. I don't know how Constantine gets his money. From Chas' cab-driving?

http://youtu.be/ELBDBua4k3w

- The story about Emmet Scanlan and Matt Ryan riding the same car to the same audition(s) for the same role, was amusing. Glad Matt won out in the end.

- The writer said that the model ghost was based on a Japanese urban legend. Does anyone know what story was she referring too? The whole face mask spirit was naggingly familiar but I don't think I knew it from Japanese creepypasta. More likely, it was a movie or something.

John gets his money from Gambling doesn't he? From smoke divination. Though I don't it thinks their only form of income, which yeah the cab driving would come in handy

• Love 1

I thought this was a great episode. The dynamic between Constantine and Papa Midnite is so good. Papa Midnite is also hot as hell. His interactions with the women and his sister were moving. It made him less of a cardboard villain. 

Zed and Chas are wonderful side kicks. They are actually useful. Did I miss the explanation of why Chas keeps coming back to life or is this still a mystery.

I look forward to seeing more of Corrigan. Emmet Scanlan from Hollyoaks. That is why he looked so familiar.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I thought this was a great episode. The dynamic between Constantine and Papa Midnite is so good. Papa Midnite is also hot as hell. His interactions with the women and his sister were moving. It made him less of a cardboard villain. 

Papa Midnite (can I say how much I love his name!) is awesome, but dammit, Constantine/Matt Ryan is a hottie to me too. I don't know, there is something about him. Maybe it's the accent/voice. But liked seeing that the show didn't shy away from the cigarette smoking. Yeah, it's bad for you but people do it. I mean, here is a show with demons and guts and gory deaths, and yet the smoke is problematic? Please.

Remind me - from the comics -->

the reason Constantine doesn't care about the smoking, or chain smokes is because he's dying of lung cancer, correct?

• Love 2

Can we talk about the real star of this episode though? The cat at the animal shelter??

:P

He/She was adorable with his tongue sticking out while purring, as he was being groomed. Most relaxed cat I've seen on T.V in ages.

Edited by Cirien
  • Love 6

The last 2 episodes have been really good. I liked this one, especially the relationship between Constantine and Papa Midnite.

Thanks for the explanation on Jim Corrigan, I was really confused by that final scene. I actually thought he had died in the first attack and was a ghost the whole time. I thought he was saying goodbye and going to the afterlife but he didn't leave.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed that episode, even Zed worked.  I like her better working independently and competently.  She really managed Philip well, using empathy and understanding to keep him in the car.  Unlike other drivers, she knew he was a ghost and drove through him rather than swerve to avoid him.  I like smart heroines and her vision of Corrigan's future was scary, but she handled it well.  The forced UST at the hotel check-in desk was annoying.  I don't know much about the source material, but I'm not seeing genuine heat between Zed and John yet.

Chas is still my favourite supporting character.  I forgot he was immortal and felt genuinely worried the show was killing him off when the spirit stabbed him.  I was so relieved to see him wake up and then ask for a shirt while his wounds healed.  My favourite part of the episode was him confounding the vengeful spirit with questions.  Papa Midnite is also a welcome character.  I love his style and that his respect for his faith is genuine, despite his acts of villainy.  I like reluctant allies so I hope he and Constantine work together again.

Matt Ryan was really good in this episode too.  Having seen last week how cold and calculating he can be, it added an extra dimension to his character.  I know this guy is not playing.  I missed Manny though.  I would have loved a scene with him and Papa Midnite.  I wonder if Manny's time-freezing skills would work on another character with magic of his own?

• Love 2

I feel like this show is hitting it's stride and all the characters are settling in.  The only jarring note for me was the UST at the hotel, not feeling that relationship. 

In contrast, the relationship between Constantine and Papa Midnight feels right.   I like how they managed to work together in spite of their anger and antagonism, hope we get to revisit that dynamic fairly soon.

Love Chas, and love the "Do you think I'm pretty?" Heh!  Oh and calmly asking if they EMTs had a spare shirt, yep, love him.

@Cirien  that cat was great.  Probably a he as it's an orange tabby, which makes sense as every male orange tabby I've ever know is a  laid back, love sponge.  In contrast the females have all been neurotic and/or drama queens.

Edited by Altered Reality
  • Love 2

The forced UST at the hotel check-in desk was annoying.

I see this charge pop up , but I read it as just bog-plain flirting.  John plays it 'I'm hot, just be cool, hon, we have time' and Zed is 'Srsly?' They know they're hot, but Zed seems more playful, appropriately enough.  It's fun in that it's kept to a minimum and it's not about insulting the other person (Moonlighting, still lookin' at you.)

This show feels like it won't go the usual route for "romance" because a) the setting is normally removed from "normal" as is, and b) it feels like it's intended for a more mature audience that doesn't expect the "usual" or simple when it comes to relationships. I could be hugely wrong ,and misjudge Network Interference in this aspect, but I am hoping for a more grown-up vibe, like this episode and the last.

WRT Zed constantly getting in John's face (and the forced UST) I don't think it's meant to be heat. I think she's making use of the fact that she's Cleary an attractive woman to intimate John (errrr somewhat) but John isn't having any of it but he isn't playing her game either....so it feels one sided and forced because that's what it is at this time.

Or maybe I'm just giving the writers and actors too much credit.

• Love 1

I don't know what the hell she thinks she's doing, but I wish she would just stop it. As I've tended to not pay a whole lot of attention to Zed, where is she supposed to hail from? She's got an accent that bleeds through and I'm not sure if it's intentional.

• Love 2

The actor also has some fairly repetitive mannerisms in terms of how she stands sort of stooped over and with her head to the side staring intently. It's starting to take me right out of the show as I count how many times she does it.

I saw an interview with Matt where he discussed the characters accent. He said that Constantine moved around a lot and therefore his accent is a mix of different accents from the places where he lived.

Whoops I mistook the comment re. Corrigan to be about Constantine. Sorry.

Edited by Dot Com
  • Love 1

I don't know - that robs it of Grimm's lead-in and I can't imagine the usual family hour content restrictions working well with the demonic possessions and threatened baby eating on this show. Is it going to be edited down to John and Zed snarking at each other with 40 minutes of commercials every week?

My favourite episode so far. Loved this one from start to finish.

The ghost story was well done, spooky in little parts but it was the team ups I really loved though.

Zed and Corrigan were just great and I liked that he gave us something on her past while she saw both his past and future as well.

The Constantine and Papa Midnite grudging team up though was utterly brilliant as well and I loved the show being in New Orleans this episode 8/10.

• Love 2

This is the first episode I've really liked as a whole. About to start 6. I can't wait to see Constantine on Arrow. He's by far the best thing about the show with all the bugs and over all quality of tbe show being tbe worse.

This is the first episode I've really liked as a whole. About to start 6. I can't wait to see Constantine on Arrow. He's by far the best thing about the show with all the bugs and over all quality of tbe show being tbe worse.

Constantine is going to be on Arrow?  Thanks for the heads up.

I loved Constantine, and it sucked that NBC dumped it.  I hope that the CW can make Constantine work, but a guest appearance is a start.