Type keyword(s) to search

Benched - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

What is the real-world win-loss rate for PDs?

I don't know, though a mistake that seems to come up a lot in capital cases gone wrong is the defendant rejecting a PD in favor of the "best" lawyer they can afford, who turns out to be shockingly incompetent.

But my impression is that trial wins and losses are both dwarfed by plea bargains.

It's kind of interesting seeing a TV character who has no idea what things cost not because he's always had enough money to buy whatever he wants without a second thought but because he's never had the money to buy much of anything so that fixing a leak is nearly as improbable as buying a boat, but I'm curious to see where they take the gambling storyline.  He clearly has a problem, so are they going to tackle it properly just in an offbeat sitcom way or play it for laughs in one episode and move on?

The ethics in this one couldn't possibly be explored in 22 minutes, and the forensic expert was so outlandish I just had to keep repeating "Go with it" to myself.  I have to do that a lot with this show, so I'm not really sure it's for me.

And the other blonde PD (I haven't learned anyone else's names yet) is annoying.

I find her funny.  Partly on Maria Bamford's rep as a comedy genius, and partly because she is quite good at her weirdo character.

This was a great episode -- both funny and bleak.  Too bad subsequent episodes have cut back on the judge (Fred Melamed), Micah (don't know actress's name), and Bamford.  Esp since Boring Larry doesn't have that different an area of pathos than Bamford's character anyways. Maybe she had scheduling conflicts?  Carlos and Phil are great, though.

Pretty good episode. Very solid B plot (Micah as a great future lawyer), slightly shaggy A-plot buoyed by what I thought was a particularly funny moment when the entire anger management group cringed from Nina's fury. I still think basically anything Boring Larry does could have been done by Cheryl, though, but he wasn't bad either.

Oh, and the whole business of ripping the twenty in half was great.

Edited by arc
  • Love 1

A New Development

Nina discovers that Trent and the district attorney's office are involved in a plot to arrest the city's homeless; Cheryl turns to Nina for help.

Solitary Refinement

An old friend asks Nina to set her up with Phil; Nina goes on an ill-fated double date; a female judge begins paying attention to Carlos.

(the season finale airs next week in another back-to-back week.)

Weird.. somehow my on-demand is missing one of these but I got to see the one where Phil and Nina went on a double date. Yikes that was shippy.  But also really funny. You just knew that the double date would turn out that way.

Well considering how little press this show has gotten; how can they expect the ratings to be off the charts?

I saw these episodes and liked them both. 

I did feel Molly Shannon was underused, but hopefully she comes back. 

Edited by Temperance

Does anyone watch with closed captioning on? I have a problem with the alignment on Benched. The text starts about 2/3rds of the way to the right of the screen and runs off the side. I can't read several of the words.

I don't have this issue with any other show, but I'm not certain if it's just my tv. Thanks in advance!

A two ep burnoff on New Year's Eve Eve.... not cool, USA.

Campaign Contributions:

Trent brings his 10-year-old "little brother" to court for one week.

Brief Encounters:

Nina must make some hard choices after secretly reuniting with Trent; Morris calls out Phil.

I finally managed to find time to watch the eps.  Both were really solid, and my expectations were pretty high because I glanced at the AV Club review before watching.  Ep 9 was indeed pretty great at both the political message and making Trent have a human side.  And also, I just like Maria Bamford's Cheryl -- there's something about her loopiness in the face of her incompetence that could be very frustrating if played wrong, but the writers and Bamford really make it work.

As for ep 10, yeah, very shippy, and I went into this show from the pilot being very wary of a Nina-Phil 'ship, but damn if they didn't somehow rope me into it anyways.

I liked Jim Rash's bit part, didn't like Nat Faxon's part. I feel like Faxon appeared in Trophy Wife too as a similar character -- though that one was 100% pathetic and this one was 85% pathetic and 15% unbearable jerk.

Benched hit me in the feels* with these last few episodes. Dammit.

* I think that's the correct usage?

I gotta be honest, I never felt the kid who played Bert on Trophy Wife was as funny as everyone else seemed to think, but even so he was a shade more obnoxious here than there.  OTOH, in both episodes they've continued making Trent seem like a decent human being.

Chris Parnell's Mitch was mostly overbearingly obnoxious in his schmoozing mode, but his breakdown in the parking garage made up for most of it.

Oh, and both in these last two episodes and for the season as a whole, Eliza Coupe has been killing it.  It kinda goes to show how fantastic the cast of Happy Endings was, that they legitimately had a bunch who could each be leads.

Edited by arc

I do love this show.  Though I can relate to Phil's, I am not dead anymore (I work in a similar situation and I am definitely dead inside) I have to say I think perhaps those two shouldn't be together.  Phil's ego based reactions to both the loss of the PD award and seemingly losing out to Trent made me feel like Phil would be an ego project.  He didn't even ask her what was up with the text when she clearly was interested in him.

But given the way USA seems to want to bury this show, I doubt much more will come of it.

I never felt the kid who played Bert on Trophy Wife

That annoyed me. No way that would be allowed.  Wasn't funny.

I watched the last four episodes of the season in one gulp and really enjoyed them. Benched is possibly my favorite new sitcom this year and I would be sad to see it go. 

I think my favorite character is Carlos. Oscar Nunez is wonderful in the role. 

I liked Bert on Trophy Wife (though my favorite was Warren) but he was plain annoying in here. Happy to see the actor get some work though. 

• Love 1

I liked these two eps the best of them all, I think. I'm gonna be so sad if USA cancels this, which I assume they will.

Chin up, peachmangosteen. They only just renewed Playing House. Fingers crossed.

• Love 1

That kid was awful; over the top, even for a sitcom.

I had these episodes on as background noise the other night, which is kind of what the show has become for me -- It's not good, but it's not bad, so if I happen to have free time when it's on, I watch, but, otherwise, I don't.  I'm not very interested in Nina's love life, so I prefer the scenes of her in court or at the office, but it's a decent little show I'd be happy to half pay attention to again next season so renewal would be nice.

One and done - USA Network has cancelled Benched.

Damn.  Going to miss Jay Harrington -- liked him in this and liked him in Better Off Ted.  I hope he gets another series soon.

Hope that Eliza Coupe and Oscar Nunez find something equally as fun.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

That's a shame. It was easily my favorite new comedy of the relatively anemic fall season.  I know that sounds like faint praise, but really, it was really good.

• Love 2

That's too bad. I think Eliza is hysterical and Oscar was really good on this show. I could have done without Jay Harrington though.

Hopefully, Eliza and Oscar will land something new soon.

I found it mostly so-so, but so-so enough that I'd continue to watch had it been brought back.  I wish it had been given more of a chance to develop, as the foundation for good storytelling was there.

• Love 2

Wait, you mean not enough people watched after USA (whoever owns it these days) spent almost no time and money promoting it. That people didn't magically know to into what I consider was an engaging and smart comedy, by sheer magic of knowing it was on and or reading the tv guide from front to back. If they really gone all out and felt it didn't go anywhere then I be sad but understanding. They never gave this show the support it needed to succeed and now it's over and I wonder why they bothered running it in the first place. Any chance it can move to netflicks or somewhere where it will be appreciated versus just dumped on the air and off the air?

USA used to be my favorite channel, and I watched so many of their shows (Burn Notice, Psych, White Collar, etc.) It's so sad to fade into re-runs. 

• Love 2

Wait, you mean not enough people watched after USA (whoever owns it these days) spent almost no time and money promoting it. That people didn't magically know to into what I consider was an engaging and smart comedy, by sheer magic of knowing it was on and or reading the tv guide from front to back. If they really gone all out and felt it didn't go anywhere then I be sad but understanding. They never gave this show the support it needed to succeed and now it's over and I wonder why they bothered running it in the first place. Any chance it can move to netflicks or somewhere where it will be appreciated versus just dumped on the air and off the air?

USA used to be my favorite channel, and I watched so many of their shows (Burn Notice, Psych, White Collar, etc.) It's so sad to fade into re-runs. 

I know, USA appears to be 60% of the way to cancelling any of their comedies before they even air them. They don't appear to want to be in that market despite their claims that that was their new focus last year. It's become pointless enough to watch a promising show in the first season because the chances of the Nielson dum-dums watching anything without a laugh track are so slim, but usually you get the sense the network and/or studio wants their show to survive, but not USA apparently. Eliza has been all over in the past month, and what a waste of time for her.

What on earth is going on with USA? I haven't been following the news except to see that they went from having a sold line-up years ago to apparently only renewing shows co-produced by Dennis Leary. It's interesting that only the male-created/produced/formulated comedy appears to have the power in place to live to see a second season. USA: Women Not So Welcome.

This show had great potential and a strong first season, and yet it was just a tiny island in the middle of their sea of mediocre-to-awful programming. USA just can't stop crapping out and they've had years to come up with something or just try standing behind anything good they've actually aired. One and done is right; one last hope for USA minus that reason to watch equals me forgetting USA was a network. Looking back, the turning point was sometime around when they shit all over In Plain Sight and dragged it into obscurity and now it's all they know to do.

• Love 5

Yea , In Plain Sight being cancelled was the beginning of the end. Now, it had a good run and I wasn't too sad over its end but it could have gone at least another season. They need some fresh blood at USA because they seem to have lost sight of who they were. But maybe that fresh blood is actually already in place. What's the plan?

I actually love Chrisley Knows Best. I don't like reality tv but this one is like a sitcom going for cheap laughs and it works for me. I'm entertained by lots of things...the serious, the provocative and even the stupid. 

Benched being cancelled makes me wonder why they renewed Playing House. I love that show and I'm happy but what is the mindset of TPTB? 

USA is threatening to become rerun haven for SVU and NCIS. Do they ever not have NCIS 24/7?

Revision: it already has become that.

Edited by prican58

What on earth is going on with USA?

I think the network started to go downhill once Bonnie Hammer stopped handling the day-to-day operations of the channel in 2011.  It was good for her that she was getting more responsibility but bad for the USA Nework. 

It was under her that USA was branded "characters welcome." She inherited Monk but pretty much every show that debuted after that which helped solidify that brand was under her watch.  Some new people took over in 2011 and In Plain Sight, Burn Notice, White Collar, Psych and Covert Affairs are all gone from that era.  Some of those shows were reaching the end of their natural runs, some weren't, but they weren't being replaced with on-brand "Characters welcome" comfort TV.    The new network runners appear to want to do edgier cable dramas and comedies and the new network brand isn't really gaining much traction.  Maybe it's because it's being done better on other networks already.

As much as I liked Benched (and have heard good things about Playing House), I miss my Friday night comfort TV with hour long comedies like Monk and Psych.  They weren't hip but they were fun and very successful.  

• Love 1

Well, that sucks.  Loved the show; loved Phil & Eliza together; was looking forward to seeing the repeat eps (I missed most of the last one!), and yet...that POS Kate Walsh show appears to live on.  Benched did it better and classier.

and yet...that POS Kate Walsh show appears to live on.  Benched did it better and classier.

Awwww hell no! Really? I thought that had been cancelled right out of the gate; the difference between one of the "major" networks vs. USA's "we can't cancel our own projects quickly enough" bs. I'm pretty sure cable shows and channels built their legs on doing the exact opposite of that! And don't get me started on the versatility, talent and lead power of Eliza versus Kate Walsh... there is no competition.

I've caught myself quoting Benched a few times in the past 2 weeks and even I'm surprised that it has made its way into my unconscious!

Re: Playing House, I could swear that was cancelled or "not renewed" a few months after it aired even though many seemed upset about Sirens being renewed and PH cancelled. So, I'm guessing it was un-cancelled? Does anyone else remember that announcement?

and yet...that POS Kate Walsh show appears to live on.  Benched did it better and classier.

Awwww hell no! Really? I thought that had been cancelled right out of the gate; the difference between one of the "major" networks vs. USA's "we can't cancel our own projects quickly enough" bs. I'm pretty sure cable shows and channels built their legs on doing the exact opposite of that! And don't get me started on the versatility, talent and lead power of Eliza versus Kate Walsh... there is no competition.

Bad Judge is definitely canceled -- they were just burning off all the produced episodes until 'The Blacklist' moved into the 9pm Thursday timeslot.

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/10/31/bad-judge-a-to-z

Re: Playing House, I could swear that was cancelled or "not renewed" a few months after it aired even though many seemed upset about Sirens being renewed and PH cancelled. So, I'm guessing it was un-cancelled? Does anyone else remember that announcement?

Playing House was in limbo for months and months.  I assumed it was cancelled, but Parham and St. Clair kept running low key (?) "save our show" campaigns and eventually USA finally renewed it.  Apparently it performs better on VOD than Benched did.