Type keyword(s) to search

2014 Christmas Special Trailer

Trichromatic
  • Start Topic

It seems cheesy and without any substance. Santa? Seriously? I wish the Christmas specials would just be a normal episode set on Christmas Day as opposed tohaving to be about Christmas itself. I'll tune in, but I have a feeling my turkey will be getting far more attention. What are your thoughts?

The Christmas Specials have been a mixed bag for me, but I'm excited to see Nick Frost.  As a huge Spaced fan, I'm thrilled that Frost, Simon Pegg, and Jessica Hynes have now all worked on Doctor Who.  All I need is for Edgar Wright to write/direct an episode (actually, I could see Wright and Capaldi having a similar sense of humor--Capaldi's "Franz Kafka's It's Wonderful Life" has some of the same absurd dark humor as Wright's movies).

When the show first returned, and for a long time afterward, I accepted it uncritically. The theme music would start and I'd feel all giddy that this silly show I'd had to put foil on the rabbit ears to watch (kids, ask your parents) in my youth had come back. I loved every Christmas special, even the much reviled Voyage of the Damned. Really, it's Christmas, I'm stuffed with lovely food and drink, I'm not that demanding. Now I'm concerned that this one will have Clara and suck.

• Love 3

imdb.com has a trailer up for the Christmas Special.

Does anyone else remember the classically awful "Santa Claus vs. the Martians"?  Well, this makes me think the title for this should be "Santa vs. Alien".  (I don't think it will be as laughingly bad as the movie, pity.)

Well Going by what Jenna says about the episode it's going to be

I read this and thought "could it be?" , then I realized that there is no possible way that what I think should happen would happen.

As long as they don't bring Danny back, I might be OK with it (can't take another reboot of the Universe).   

Oh I could!  Especially if it means wiping out this past season and as a bonus Clara stays home!  Instead of Bobby Ewing in the shower, it would be Danny Pink!

• Love 2

Oh I could!  Especially if it means wiping out this past season and as a bonus Clara stays home!  Instead of Bobby Ewing in the shower, it would be Danny Pink!

It should end with Tennant looking horrified and saying "See that's why I didn't want to go". And then he regenerates into Rose Leslie.

• Love 1

It should end with Tennant looking horrified and saying "See that's why I didn't want to go". And then he regenerates into Rose Leslie.

Ha!  At least then he would get to be a ginger finally. :0)  I wonder how the War Doctor would take to the idea that he would eventually become a she.

(all kidding aside, I would really miss the Matt Smith years!)

• Love 1

I'm a new fan who has been watching the show via Netflix marathons. I feel badly for this, but I haven't much liked a Christmas special, other than Runaway Bride (and I merely tolerated that one). The Christmas Invasion was a near bust for me because the newly generated Doctor slept through most of it! I wanted to see the new skinny dude with the rock star hair who I couldn't decide if I hated or loved yet :) I HATED Voyage of the Damned sooooo much. I think this may be my least favorite episode of the entire series. And I am including Classic Who too.

The Next Doctor wasn't awful. I giggled quite a bit as Ten followed David Morrissey around, trying to save his bacon. The companion in that episode certainly had her hands full with them. I kept waiting for her to throw up her hands and leave them both. I might have. TWO Doctors is way too much, even if one is an amnesiac with delusions of Doctor-ly-ness.

TWO Doctors is way too much, even if one is an amnesiac with delusions of Doctor-ly-ness.

But what about The Three Doctors, or The Five Doctors, or The Two Doctors, or...well, okay, Day of the Doctor (I may not have liked the plot, but I did enjoy the multi-Doctor aspect)? Multiple Doctors is a time-honoured tradition of the show!

Works better when they are actual Doctors, I'll grant you.

I am not looking forward to this year's Christmas special. I'm not even sure I'll watch it, I disliked the season finale so much. :(

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2

I liked "The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe"!

I am not watching the clip, though thanks for providing it, MarquisDeCarabas (is that a reference to the character in the classical fairy tale of Puss in Boots?)

I suspect that the special will be more of a very special Clara Episode.

Yet again the same problem that has been mentioned here...according to the plot, Clara and the Doctor 'separated' and he's been off on his own for however long doing his Doctor thing while she annoys people on Earth. Yet what we again get is none of that on screen, just another episode with 12 and Clara as if she'd never left. 

If the plot point is Clara stays on Earth, then have several episodes where she isnt around at all before doing the big return. This episode will be chock full of "I missed you" and "You needed me" crap that wont have any grounding in what viewers have actually experienced since Clara was the star of literally the last episode aired.  

• Love 2

I'm going on record as saying i hope they find a way to bring Danny Pink back.  I'm sentimental, and I know that the current Doctor is not, but I really enjoy the show the most when it goes back to the love theme.  Just rewatched The Day of the Doctor, and I loved that story.  I liked the Christmas special about the widow and the wardrobe, but not so much last year's Christmas special.

Just thought I'd throw it out there as there seems to be so much anti-Danny sentiment.  I'm pretty certain that Danny Pink is gone for good, but still hope otherwise.

• Love 2

The Doctor's outfit looks cool!  I hope we're not going to have Clara in her bathrobe for the entire special. 

I didn't like The Widow and the Wardrobe.  Didn't like The Christmas Carol.  Didn't like last year's Christmas special.  Loved The Snowmen, though.  Moffat doesn't have a very good average with me on Christmas specials.    

I realize I'm also sick of the catchphrases. "Nobody likes the tangerines." Dun dun dun duuuh! They're supposed to be grounding or ominous but they are just thrown in there and they don't feel like they have any meaning.

I think I'll be watching "The Christmas Invasion". With "the Runaway Bride", that's really the only Christmas Special I really like.

• Love 1

Hmm, so I just read that they had to change the entire script of Xmas special based on a recent decision from Jenna Coleman. I'll leave it at that since I'm not sure to what extent that qualifies as a spoiler, but those interested should do some googling!

Hmm, so I just read that they had to change the entire script of Xmas special based on a recent decision from Jenna Coleman. I'll leave it at that since I'm not sure to what extent that qualifies as a spoiler, but those interested should do some googling!

This has been discussed in the media thread if you want to see a few comments.

The 10th Doctor is okay, but nowhere near my fave. I'm also not sure what on earth he has to do with the 2014 Christmas special, which will star the 12th Doctor. Perhaps the 10th needs a thread of his own if he doesn't already have one somewhere...

• Love 1

Oh my sleigh bells.

After working so hard to avoid any knowledge of the upcoming episode, I was surprised by a promo during the Star Trek movie marathon.   My only comment at the time was "way to ruin the surprise entrance, guys"  And just when I thought it couldn't get worse, there was Rudolph.  My husband asked if this was a spoof, and explained about the Christmas special and how  I WILL NOT BE WATCHING.

Is it just me or does anyone else cringe a bit when these trailers come on?  The episode looks underwhelming. 

No, not just you.  I think we need a support group!  

Synonyms for underwhelm (watch out for the Lexus commercials) - definitely fits the description.

• Love 2

Then prepare to be unsure. I think Ten was the worst of the whole series, he was a total twat.

I love 10 but he's also my least favorite doctor.

I'm in the opposite camp - loved nine, ten and eleven but I can't stand this Peter Capardi. I've watched the full season but I think I've given up. Going to wait for twelve, unless it takes a decade or so. Definitely won't bother with the Christmas special. The only good parts of the season so far have been Danny and the students. Without him, why bother? I have to like the doctor and the companion, so far they're batting zero with me.