Type keyword(s) to search

House Of DVF - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm watching Ep. 1 & 2 right now.   I did not know that DVF is a Princess!!  COOL!!!!

Stephanie reminds me of Heather Dubrow from Real Housewives of Orange County.  Not sure it that's a good thing. 

I liked Coco better then Kier -though not much more- so I wished that she would've been let go. 

Kier reminds me of Stassi from Vanderpump Rules and that's a very bad thing!

A friend of mine from high school went on to work for DVF when she started her business. I've lost touch with my friend over the years. I was so hoping that she might turn up on the show in some way. I know she was with DVF for some time. Maybe I need to read the book to see if she appears in any of the old photos. That was one thing that disappointed me about this show; I thought they were going to present more of an historical perspective on her rise to fame and some of her old Studio 54 days.

I watched the show tonight. Maybe I am used to more fashion forward young women but I thought they all looked matronly in the wrap dresses. Maybe it was because they were all dressed in them. Somehow they just looked dowdy and I've seen people in wrap dresses who do NOT look dowdy. This crew did.

Edited by maryis1

On topic - I just found this show yesterday and watched an episode. DVF looks great and hasn't seemed to age much since her Studio 54 days.

Off topic - The comparison of the girl with the bow that at Chicago to Bridgette Wilson Sampros (sp?) in The Wedding Planner.....I didn't find her (BWS) character to be bitchy at all.  Over-indulged maybe, But I don't remember bitchiness.

One girl gets to attend the CFDA Awards.

I like Lenore, but she's completely scattered. She seems very sweet & supportive though.  Poor thing. I don't think she's going to make it.

Kier is so strange.  She rockets back & forth between super egotistical and crushing self-doubt.  Bi-polar maybe?  I have no clue how somebody could be so unbalanced.  I think Diane took her on the red carpet to see how she'd behave in public, and if she'd act like a diva.  She also pronounced Diane's name "Deeann" several times.  Weird.

Jinna looks EXACTLY like a young Margaret Cho to me.  Also, Amanda looks like Kendra Wilkinson.

The ladies were definitely not prepared well enough to be meeting with fashion professionals.  Massive fail on the part of Stephfaninaie, or however she spells it.

Tiffany was a disaster.  I can't imagine what DVF saw in her as a sales professional.

Why are they so dumbfounded when somebody is sent home?  It's a competition, you idiots!  You can't all stay.

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

Oh, Kier. I didn't mind your flat-out bitchiness and eye-rolling talking heads because, let's face it, most of the other contestants totally deserve those eye rolls. But then you had to go and try to argue that "I'm just the victim here!" without a trace of irony, bawl like an toddler about a too-small dress, and generally act on the red carpet like you've never been out of the house before, so now as far as I'm concerned you're as unemployable as the rest of these hamsters. Ugh. 

Every time the other blonde woman shows up on the screen, it surprises me anew. I assume she's the aforementioned Kendra-lookalike Amanda. Literally completely forgettable. I guess that means she wins this whole thing?

• Love 2

DVR continues to seem mean to me and I don't like her veiled insult ways of speaking. These girls were not at all prepared for the press and were obviously set up to fail. They were not told (that we heard anyway) about pricing or when things would 'hit the stores'. It seemed very strange that DVR brought Kier with her to the event, and even though Kier is annoying, she clearly didn't know why she was there. 

The oddest things seem to bother DVR and her staff such as bright lipstick. And yes, the wrap dresses would look good on me but I'm 50, these young girls didn't look fashionable wearing them.

• Love 4

Kier plays reality show games.  She acts outrageously entitled to stir shit and then makes sure to weep all over the place when the cameras are running and there is no around she dares to patronize.  So of course Diane takes her on the special event.  And i love how Diane prates to the camera it is not a reward.  Really?  Because since this is a contest (even though you all act -- poorly at that -- it isn't) any chance to prove yourself the others do not have is a reward.

Kier was the stick Diane used to yet again stir shit.  Even as she claims to be so torn over whether to continue the program.  Like she doesn't know how many episodes she contracted.

And the short and easy answer to the episode title question.  Money and fame. 

• Love 2

These girls were not at all prepared for the press and were obviously set up to fail. They were not told (that we heard anyway) about pricing or when things would 'hit the stores'.

Well obviously these girls (I won't call them young women as it doesn't look to me like any of them have turned that corner) are wrong for whatever the alleged job with DVF is. No, they weren't prepared for that PR launch but when they were being walked through the set up and during the previous few days they were on site, didn't it occur to any of them to ask questions? They're supposedly all obsessed with fashion/fashion merchandizing and all that--they couldn't ask what stores the lines were intended for? What price points they were aimed at? When the current line would hit the racks? Tiffany didn't know what DVF's signature piece was? She was bailed out by some other girl who hopefully said 'caftans'--were there any variations of the wrap dress they were all wearing?

Unprepared and green, of course, but if you're going to jump in the pool, at least take a look at what you're getting yourself into. A simple Google search would have adressed a lot of their non-knowledge.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 1

I'm still thinking Kier is a plant of some sort.  DVF made sure to note that she behaved "beautifully" on the red carpet.  And she was conspicuously in the background during the press event.  No showing her fumbling and bumbling like the rest of the minions.  

Kier is so strange.  She rockets back & forth between super egotistical and crushing self-doubt.  Bi-polar maybe?  I have no clue how somebody could be so unbalanced.  

I get the impression that the times she seems super egotistical are just a front to cover up the crushing self-doubt. Who knows. I don't like Kier and her weepiness while trying on dresses annoyed me, but I sort of understood why she was upset at the way DVF was talking to her. When they were in the car, DVF was being such a bitch, with the back-handed "compliments." "You look nice, so much better than you did yesterday." Um, thanks? And being like "I almost decided not to bring you, but I did." What is even the point of saying that, other than to be a bitch? Is that supposed to "inspire" Kier to act right or something? Sometimes I like DVF, but then she says petty crap like that and I don't like her.

As a couple people above said, I also felt like they were set up to fail with that press event. Stefani saying, "What else could have I done to prepare them?!?!" Um. Just repeating "This is really important, girls!!!" in a shrill voice over and over again is not "preparation." We never saw them give the girls any information about the pricing or when pieces were in stores. And it wasn't like a few girls didn't know it, but others did. None of the girls knew that information, which makes me think they were never told any of it. And even if they were gonna ask questions about it, it didn't seem like they got much description of what the event would entail beyond "these magazine people are coming and you have to show them around." Of course, further description may have been given, just not shown to us. 

These girls are ridiculous though. I'm not convinced any amount of preparation would help them. These are the same girls that didn't have the sense to realize they shouldn't play dress up at what is essentially a televised job interview. 

Jinna (sp?) is awful. Her shrieking about how Tiffani had to go back to the South Bronx was beyond obnoxious. I mean, I get the metaphoric difference between Manhattan and the South Bronx that the show tried to play up, but it's a physical subway ride away. So chill, Jinna. And why was that other girl crying so much? Relax, girl-whose-name-I-can't-ever-remember. You and Tiff can go out for a drink in like 2 weeks when the show is over. Or maybe she'll just take a page from her boyfriend and show up to complete the next challenge for you!

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 3

When they were in the car, DVF was being such a bitch, with the back-handed "compliments." "You look nice, so much better than you did yesterday." Um, thanks? And being like "I almost decided not to bring you, but I did." What is even the point of saying that, other than to be a bitch?

While DVF had to have signed off on this mess of a show with these not ready for prime time girls (which is why I love the snark worthiness of it--idiots being idiots), I almost suspect that this isn't the show she may have imagined and is venting her annoyance on camera.

Imagine it; "Diane, this is going to be fabulous! We all know how you mentor kids, give a hand up and all of that. Now imagine we get you, say eight or ten kids fresh from fashion school. Maybe throw in a couple of street savvy fashionistas who can bring some different perspectives to the line and let them compete for an apprenticeship or something. You get to be mother hen but with some tough love thrown in. It can't miss!"

Then she gets stuck with, well, what she got stuck with. I get the vibe that she's pissed at having her time wasted.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 7

I'm still baffled re what they were drinking/smoking when they took a look at this bunch and thought "future brand ambassadors!!!!"

Really. I don't get it. Just what is this person supposed to be doing when she wins? Major gap for me between what they say the role will be and what I see in those in the running.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 2

While DVF had to have signed off on this mess of a show with these not ready for prime time girls (which is why I love the snark worthiness of it--idiots being idiots), I almost suspect that this isn't the show she may have imagined and is venting her annoyance on camera.

Imagine it; "Diane, this is going to be fabulous! We all know how you mentor kids, give a hand up and all of that. Now imagine we get you, say eight or ten kids fresh from fashion school. Maybe throw in a couple of street savvy fashionistas who can bring some different perspectives to the line and let them compete for an apprenticeship or something. You get to be mother hen but with some tough love thrown in. It can't miss!"

Then she gets stuck with, well, what she got stuck with. I get the vibe that she's pissed at having her time wasted.

I've gotten the same vibe. It's entirely possible that DVF wasn't initially onboard and then was convinced to do the show (money and exposure for re-branding). I think she's feeling the squeeze since none of these girls seems capable of doing any job for her. I can understand her frustration.

I continue to watch for DVF, but I wish they'd eliminate all of them and start over. Really perusing the contestant wannabes' qualifications the second time around.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

If I were DVF or one of her elder minions I would've booted Kier out of the program right there at the event -- you are not there to take approximately 321 selfies on the red carpet, it's a DVF event and you are there AS HER ASSISTANT.  You don't know what to do? Stick near DVF like glue and periodically ask her "can i get you anything, Diane?" "can i help you with anything, Diane?" "do you need anything, Diane?" and it's DYE-ann not DEE-ann.  I don't think she's trainable. I think she's good at faking things and avoiding consequences. She has Rich Girl Syndrome written all over her.

Good God, this crew was a hot mess at the press event (for which they were SO NOT briefed properly by Stefffffaniiiiii, except for the whole "this is not about you" memo, which -- hello, this was like the one thing she told you that was crystal clear, pay attention!). As soon as Tiffany started in with her I'm-from-the-Bronx-and-lookit-me-now spiel it was like a slow-motion train wreck unfolding before our eyes. I can't believe the press people were as nice to them as they were, frankly -- in my past life working in the media I would have been beyond pissed that the people provided to give me basic info were not capable of doing so. Tiffany clearly needed to get the boot (as did several othere there, but we'd be out of a show right now if every unworthy girl got booted). But I'm glad she got the saleswoman job. 

I like Lenore. She'll never, evorrr make it to Brand Ambassador but I want her to stick around because I find her hilarious. I'm from New Jersey and she totally reminds me of home.

Totally agree with the posters upthread about Young Margaret Cho and the Kendra lookalike. As for the black girl who isn't from Haiti (sorry, I can't be bothered learning their names) -- I think she's stunning. Much more so than fake nose'n'boobies Kier.

And FFS, Diane, what is it with you and "I love you ... so much" when booting them? You have spent a grand total of 45 minutes with them, if that. Just stop.

I have to admit that Kier losing it in the fitting room and not wanting to reveal her too-small dress size in front of the cameras was like balm to my soul. 

• Love 3
I get the impression that the times she seems super egotistical are just a front to cover up the crushing self-doubt. Who knows. I don't like Kier and her weepiness while trying on dresses annoyed me, but I sort of understood why she was upset at the way DVF was talking to her. When they were in the car, DVF was being such a bitch, with the back-handed "compliments." "You look nice, so much better than you did yesterday." Um, thanks? And being like "I almost decided not to bring you, but I did." What is even the point of saying that, other than to be a bitch? Is that supposed to "inspire" Kier to act right or something? Sometimes I like DVF, but then she says petty crap like that and I don't like her.

Agreed.  DVF is a passive-agressive bitch, whereas Kier is an in your face bitch.  I have more sympathy for Kier, though, since she's still young and has some maturing to do.  

Diane said something about Kier's high self-regard being a cover for low self-esteem (seriously paraphrased), and I think the episode had that idea as its central theme. With regard to her crying about the dress size, I have a DVF wrap dress which I LOVE (I'm in my early 50s, so it works on me - on young, fashionable women? not so much).  I usually wear a size 6 or 8 in dresses, my bra size is 36 B, and I was surprised to find that a size 10 DVF wrap dress was far too low cut for me.  I had to buy a 12.  I'm experienced and confident (and old) enough to know that sizes on the tag don't mean squat about me personally, but it was a pain in the ass because I had ordered it online, and exchanging it meant a couple of trips to the post office.  I had used the size chart on the website and ordered a size larger than my largest since I had read that they run small, and it was still too small.  I could sympathize, then, a tiny bit with Kier.  She is probably ordinarily a size 2 or 4 (going by my 18 year old daughter who is a size 0), and I bet she had to wear a 6 or even an 8 in DVF dresses.  Shocking and demoralizing to a young woman who's convinced that her self-worth is dependent upon her looks.

I had thought they were setting Brittany up for the win.  She's tall and beautiful, so will look good in the clothes, intelligent, well spoken, and kind if not overly emotionally attached and concerned with the other girls, and so far she hasn't been involved in any drama.  Then I saw the previews for next week which intimated that she drops the act and starts acting "real."  We'll see.  

And last but not least.  WTF with Abigail.  She acted like a TV character, like "the sassy sidekick" or something,  at the press event and not in a good way.  Abigail - learn to read the room! 

Edited by RealityCreator

I believe DVF probably still uses the sizes from the 70s.  A size 6 in 1974 is much smaller than a size 6 in 2014.

I don't know that DVF is designing wrap dresses for 20 year olds and I don't think they are only for seniors either.  I have a professor who is early 30's and she has worn a couple of wraps.  One a DVF and the other Lilly Pulitzer.  Now most college profs aren't fashion plates, but this one came from PR so she is more fashionable than most.

I hope we see a little more fashion and a lot less reality show drama.

I believe DVF probably still uses the sizes from the 70s.  A size 6 in 1974 is much smaller than a size 6 in 2014.

Could well be. Sizes in the US aren't standardized so a DVF 6 might be a Lauren 2 or a St. Laurent 0 or whatever. Generally the sizes have sized up to stroke female egos--that is someone who used to wear a size 8 might now fit into a 4. Except in bridal in which the reverse is generally true; a street sized 10 woman might need a 14 or 16. I've no idea why as it seems counter productive to me but there you go.

• Love 1

Here is the DVF-specific size chart for the wrap dress as sold at Neiman Marcus

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/category/popup/vonFurstenberg.html

I bought the wrap dress in the silk fabric.  My measurements are 36, 27, 37.  As you can see, I should have been able to wear the size 8, but instead, I ordered a 10 since I had read that the wrap dresses run small.  The 10 was super low-cut, and I don't mean because I'm too modest, I mean it was open, very open at the bust (and I'm a 36 B, hardly busty!) and came to a full close at the tie wrap.  I had to order a 12, which fits me perfectly.  And I LOVE it. It's my favorite dress by far.  But the size, even going by her very own size chart, was off by 2 whole sizes.   Knowing that before watching the episode, I did understand Kier's shock at seeing the size dress she likely had to wear in order to fit her.

When they were all sitting around the table talking about the contestants, and somebody said "[whatever girl] sold her eggs to pay to come here," then somebody was like "I hope she didn't sell all of them." And Stefani's reply, essentially: "Uh no, we get more every month, duh. Didn't you go to sex ed."

Um. No, Stefani. That is not how that works at all...  *groan*

Ha, I came here to post the same thing. Girl, don't try to school someone on biology when you clearly have no idea what's going on downstairs. "Trust me, you make them every month, God willing. Clearly you didn't get the talk." Clearly you didn't get an A in biology. Or even fifth grade sex ed.

My new favorite DVF quote: "Why you cry so much?"

When Kier said she would LITERALLY do anything to make her dreams come true, I thought two things: (1) this girl will be giving BJs in the alley if she thinks it will get her somewhere and (2) "That parking lot literally had more traffic in it than Mariah Carey's vagina:

Jinna annoyed me right away. I make it a rule never to have more luggage than I can handle on my own, even if I'm traveling with Mr. EB. If you are going to have two rolling suitcases and four totebags/purses, you best figure out a way to handle all of it instead of hoping that you'll find a good samaritan to help you.

Ha, I laughed every time someone from DVF referred to this as a program. Come on, be honest. it's not a program - it's a reality show competition.

Cody's hair looked terrible in the back, like she chopped it off with scissors herself. Interesting that she described herself as a "weird Mormon."

Tiffani went on my shit list when she was hounding one of the other girls about borrowing her phone at the UN event. On the one hand, no, she didn't know that she would need to use her phone all night to take pictures so it's not her fault that her phone wasn't fully charged but I certainly wouldn't hand my phone over to some girl I just met. Major demerits for saying "would have went" when she got shushed in the hallway.

While I understand not wanting the girls to mess with the stuff in the showroom, I think it was a bit much to describe them as scurrying around like mice. These girls are interested in the brand and the products so of course they got a little excited and started trying things on.

I can't stand the way Stefani talks. We'll see if you can be integrated into our culture. Be present. Certain behaviors and etiquette are on brand. The way you define yourself visually. She was on the verge of sounding like the Booked on Phonics skit on In Living Color:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izpa9D7c77U

Ha, I kind of laughed when I saw that the farewell gift bag had a book and some candy. I mean, it's still more than contestants get when they're cut on other shows.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I'm watching Ep. 1 & 2 right now.   I did not know that DVF is a Princess!!  COOL!!!!

Well, yes, she is technically a princess. But it's only because she was married for 3 years (!)  to a descendant of a German principality. And if you read the "society pages", it seems you can swing a cat and hit a German prince these days. I guess if I was lucky enough to get a title, even if the marriage was over in the blink of an eye, I'd hold onto that sucker for life too.

• Love 1

Part of me loved that Jinna told Kier she is totally self involved and makes everything about herself. I mean, seriously, complaining that the spice market smells and she has a really strong sense of smell? Gawd. She totally reminded me of one of those spoiled suburban girls who complains about how "ethnic stuff" is weird and stinky.

Even when Kier does something that is technically a good idea (like writing a thank you note, which not enough people do anymore!), she still comes off as so insincere and condescending. I can't imagine someone like her being chosen to be a brand ambassador. You could never let her interact with live people because she is so off putting. When she told Lenore, "You know I love you," I just rolled my eyes. That is exactly why she seems to fake to me.

I was cracking up at Codi crying as she told her mom that she just wants everyone to be as happy as she is. I want to know what the hell Codi was doing before they got called in to show their mood boards that she showed up wearing a flowered shirt, a tutu, and those patterned glasses. I do give Codi some credit for her thick dark eyebrows (I am so tired of pencil thin overplucked eyebrows) but they're just so overwhelming on her fair skin with her light hair.

Diane is correct about Lenore not being a stylist, but I can't help but love Lenore (even though I question her judgment if she's becoming friends with Kier). Her facial expressions are straight out of Laguna Beach/The Hills. The casting people struck gold with her overexaggerated reaction shots. I totally cracked up when she said that DVF has all these profound words of wisdom but she doesn't get any of it. Honey, those aren't words of wisdom, so don't feel bad for not keeping up with the nonstop cliches that have been coming out of her mouth.

Jinna getting drunk and yelling at random guys walking by made me realize that I don't miss being 20.

I can't believe that the girls are given so much freedom. I am used to reality show contestants being on lockdown with no cell phones and no outings aside from the official tasks, so it was weird to see Tiffani call her boyfriend and then Abigail and Brittany go out to dinner by themselves. It makes me feel like they are trying to combine ANTM with The Hills.

Tiffani looked so much better without all her usual eyeliner at the mood board presentations.

Ha, I now officially love Jessica the redhead. Between asking Kier why she was wearing so much makeup during the day and saying it was ridiculous for her to be crying while trying on dresses, I want her to "mentor" these girls by shutting down their ridiculous behavior. Kier crying came off as so fake to me. Girl, you post pictures of yourself in bikinis and lingerie on your instagram so crying that you look terrible in these dresses seemed like she was just trying to get sympathy.

While I thought it was very sweet of Lenore to try to explain to the other girls that Kier is insecure and that's why she tries not to rip on her so much, at the same time, so the fuck what? Everyone is insecure to an extent and Kier doesn't seem to have any issue picking fights with the other girls. Yeah, I know, we should all strive to be better people but I have an issue with the idea that everyone should be nice to someone who is clearly a huge pain in the ass but no one has said that to Kier about, say, Abigail who she picked a huge fight with last week. Besides, as Jessica pointed out, you have to be professional in the workplace. If Kier is insecure, this is not the time or place to work out those issues. That's what therapy is for.

I don't know why she was acting like an abandoned spouse on the red carpet. Girl, DVF is not only famous in her own right but she is the president of CFDA. Of course her friends and acquaintances want to say hi to her and the press wants to take pictures of her. You are a big girl so stop acting like a little kid who is mad that her mom isn't paying attention to her. I couldn't believe she asked the Olsen twins if she could get a picture with them (sorry, an Instagram photo with them) and then claimed it was for DVF. If I were Deeann, I would have been annoyed that Kier was dropping my name to try to get a picture with celebrities.

I thought it was hilarious that the editors decided that the Olsen twins, Anna Wintour, Emmy Rossum, Olivia Wilde, Zac Posen, Keri Russell, Jennifer Hudson, Marion Cotillard, Rihanna, and Chanel Iman needed their names on the screen but they assumed we would all recognize Vera Wang and Betsey Johnson. I mean, they weren't wrong about that but it was still funny.

I'm glad that Lenore sees what a negative person Kier is. Lenore is obviously smarter than Kier since Lenore has the common sense to know that if you are on a show competing to be a brand ambassador for DVF, you should listen to whatever DVF says. If Deeann says to change your lipstick, just change it. Notice that in the last episode, Deann told Lenore that her dark lipstick was too much and in this episode, Lenore was no longer wearing dark lipstick. And for the record, Kier is not the spokesperson for an entire generation. Not every millennial likes bright lipstick. The fact that she thinks she looks like a mom in the iconic DVF wrap dress just shows that she shouldn't be the DVF brand ambassador.

Ha, I was cracking up that Stefani kept saying caf-tan. She really annoys me. A simple no would suffice. There's no need to say, "No no no. No, Lenore, no. No no. No no no." She talks too much. When she started telling Diane, "I told the girls, 'This is not I. This is we,'" I rolled my eyes. Then she had the gall to say in her talking head that she didn't know what else she could have done to guide these girls. Uh, you could have given them more specific instructions than "Don't mess this up" two minutes before they were expected to interact with the press.

If the company wanted these girls to know all about the collection, maybe they should have given them something to study beforehand with all the pertinent information. Picking a few dresses off a rack for a potential photoshoot doesn't mean they know all the selling points or what they should be emphasizing and it certainly doesn't mean they know the dates that the pieces are going to be available.

The event really showed who had experience confidently faking it. Jinna did a pretty good job but Lenore, Tiffani, and Abigail were a mess. To be fair, these girls don't have PR training so it was crazy to throw them into this event. Interesting that Deeann told her team that the girls didn't have information like the price range or the delivery times and then asked her team what information they gave to the girls. Interesting that we didn't get to see the answer. I wish we had seen what Brittany, Amanda, and Kier said during the event.

When Grace said that Tiffani and Lenore were not trainable, I disagreed. I think they are unpolished and babbling but hello, you didn't actually train them so how do you know if they are trainable or not?

Tiffani was still wearing her wrap dress when she got cut and when she went to the restaurant to tell the other girls, so I was already wondering if that meant she got to keep it. When she told the other girls she got to keep it, I wanted to high five her. A job and a free dress - score!

I concur with RealityCreator about the sizing on DVF wrap dresses. I am not busty by any means but I have to go a size up if I want the girls covered (otherwise it's boob city). No matter how tightly I tie the wrap, the neckline is just too open. You can see the same amount of skin/cleavage as if I were just wearing my bra because it's THAT open. I can wear my regular dress size if I wear a cami underneath but it's easier to just buy a bigger size and not have to worry about that.

• Love 1

The thank you note was such a ass licking hoot.  Probably part of Kier's attempt to be the one, who is she doesn't get the "gig" is at least featured on more clips shows than the others.  That or she is flat out a plant and told to ramp up the silly behavior. 

Or maybe I am the only one that never sent a thank you note to my boss for hiring me.  Well analogous in this case would be human resources for vetting my application and passing me on for an interview.

First things first: why am I not being invited to events at Bergdorf where Diane Von Furstenburg personally chooses different dresses for me and ties them on me?!

Abigail was not even TRYING at the Bergdorf event, but I could not help but like her again when she said that Jinna has a fire burning in her crotch. Jinna has crossed the line from aggressive to rude and mean. I know I am going to sound like an old lady, but dude! Jinna is 26 years old. Learn your limits with alcohol. No one likes a mean drunk or a sloppy drunk.

Once again, I love Jessica. She has everyone's number. She zoned right in on Abigail's defensiveness but also told her that it's not a matter of hiding her personality or being someone she isn't. It's about remembering what the parameters of the program are and why you are here. I don't think it's asking much to have your bra not showing when you are working. And Jessica nailed it with Brittany being deeply disingenuous. Yes, she is presentable to grownups but it's all an act. If Jessica, Diane, or anyone at lunch like Margaret Russell had seen the footage of Brittany earlier in the day telling Amanda that she would cut a bitch or dropping F bombs left and right, would they still think she's presentable and a good representative of the brand?

LOVED that Kier got the smackdown for her boring uninteresting unoriginal dress design by Michael and the fact that she only brought in one design. I totally laughed when she then tried to say no one else did more than one sketch and Michael pointed out that he hadn't gotten to anyone else yet. Shut it, Kier.

I was so confused by the groups though. Brittany, Jinna, and Amanda were the winning group. Kier and Lenore were another group. And then Abigail did the romper by herself? Even if she was originally in a group with Codi and Tiffani, why wouldn't they let her join Lenore and Kier's group once they (Codi and Tiffani) were eliminated so that she wouldn't be doing this assignment by herself? Obviously she was better off not being in Kier's group since she doesn't get along with her and you know that Kier would have ignored her romper idea, but still. It just seems weird that the show kind of left her hanging in a one person group.

Ugh, planning the luncheon was so fake. There is no way in hell that they would have waited until two days before the event to try to find a venue. And what is the deal with Brittany and Jinna being assigned to get plates and silverware? When you have a lunch at a restaurant, the plates and silverware are included.

This is the second time that there has been a situation where one person has been the instigator but the other person has been the one called out for it. Last time it was Abigail with Stefani and this time it was Amanda with Diane. Brittany and her two-faced condescending bitchface can STFU. That whole "if this had been me two years ago" crap was ridiculous. She just wants a way to threaten Amanda without actually threatening her. Obviously she isn't capable of acting like a professional if she says she won't even send a work related picture and is cussing up a storm. And then she took credit for Jinna's idea to wrap the fabric around the seat cushions! Stefani is a dumbass for thinking that Brittany "curated the entire decor."

I loved that Diane descsribed Lenore as so enthusiastic but clumsy in her enthusiasm. Lenore really is like an overexcited puppy - so cute and full of energy but knocking things over left and right with her wagging tail.

Damn it, I can't believe they are going to leave me hanging about whether Jinna or Abigail got cut! At least this show is slightly better than some others about not showing one of the girls in the previews for next week. In most of the shots, it was just Amanda, Kier, Brittany, and Lenore. There was one shot of Abigail with her big hair (and she had her wrapped when she and Jinna went to meet with Diane) and it kind of sounded like someone (Kier?) yelling, "ABS!" when the clothing rack falls over, so my suspicion is that Abigail stays but I remember seeing a shot of one of the girls jumping into a pool still in her DVF dress and Stefani telling Diane that the dress was ruined during previews for the rest of the season. I am positive that whoever jumped into the pool had dark hair which made me think it was going to be either Jinna or Tiffani. If Jinna is cut, then is Lenore the one who jumps into the pool?

• Love 2

If Jessica, Diane, or anyone at lunch like Margaret Russell had seen the footage of Brittany earlier in the day telling Amanda that she would cut a bitch or dropping F bombs left and right, would they still think she's presentable and a good representative of the brand?

True, but I'm willing to assume that at some point DVF and her minions did get a chance to see the footage, aired and otherwise. I also think that Diane is annoyed by this entire show, it likely isn't what was sold to her and she's simply playing along until it's over. Yes, the set up was ridiculous--2 days to set up a semi-important luncheon? It's like Project Runway giving the designers q1 day to produce a couture gown--a set up to fail.

And I don't buy that people in reasonably high end positions in fashion wouldn't be able to see through these girls and their manipulations in their sleep. This is just basic backstabbing 101.

Oh, another thing--are these girls really calling her DVF? Her name is Diane. Pretentious much?

• Love 2

I look at Abigail, and wonder if that "wardrobe malfunction" she wore for the Bergdorf event was producer/script driven. Because, despite all of her, "This is who I am, the producers knew who I was when I was chosen for the program, blah, blah" , almost any other outfit she wore in the episode would have worked better. Should a professional really have to be told that your bra shouldn't be showing at a work event? Whatever your personal style, you're there to represent the brand. Look to DVF and your superiors (Jessica and the others) for clues about how to dress for the DVF workplace. Save the exposed underwear for the after-work drinks with the girls.

Jinna: I like her, but really, enough with the drinking. I know things are edited a certain way, but there's a difference between a drink at dinner, and getting pissy drunk and hitting up guys. After a certain (very young) age, what you do the night before will show on you the next morning.

Brittany: The other girls could actually learn something from her. Whatever she may or may not be with the other girls, she knows how to bring it on with the higher-ups when it counts. She's gorgeous and carries off the brand well. She was great at the luncheon, and I think she's definitely a contender for the job. Having said that, she could be sent home next week for all I know. Amanda shouldn't worry. She was the workhorse of the group, and that can serve her well, given enough time. It's just that, when making a snap decision about who to include in the luncheon, DVF went with who looked good in the moment. And that was Brittany, like it or not. It just happened to be a good choice, but it could also have gone very badly. That's a takeaway for Amanda. Don't waste time being jealous of Britt. Keep doing good work, and be "show ready" whenever you can.

• Love 3

Brittany is such an idiot. Does she really think that the world of work is like a reality show? Honey, Amanda apologized. Be a lady, accept her apology and try and find some common ground. Don't ramp up the situation and make it worse! And you really think that you're going to be successful in the workplace by refusing to work with people? The way to succeed is to kiss ass, be obliging, and put your head down and work hard. Up till now I thought Brittany had a good head on her shoulders and could do well. Now, not so sure. Jinna is silly and Lenore, bless her adorable heart, just needs some seasoning, but she is willing, observant, and brighter than she's letting on. Abs is a fish out of water. She has great style but is so wrong for Diane. Kier continues to also be completely clueless about how to deal with people.

I cosign on Jessica. She is right on the money.

• Love 2

Yes, it appears to be an embarrassment all around.

Brittany is halfway right.  She knows you have to play the game and put on a professional face when it matters.  She's just too obnoxious to realize that "when it matters" extends to all those talking heads and personal interactions that are still being filmed.  Does she really think that the producers aren't showing these gems to DVF or at least her staffers?  Or that a future employer or coworker won't stumble onto clips of her saying absolutely batshit crazy stuff to camera? The problem with getting that smug and obnoxious in the moment is that you're assuming you've won the war when there's still a long way to go until the end, and there's always the chance your sworn enemy will one-up you later.

Actually, I think it's safe to say that given the drama around the production and DVF's less than total excitement about the ratings that the editors wouldn't have shown those clips of Brittany if she was the eventual winner.  It would be really bad for the brand and it's a much better spin to say they saw through her shenanigans and booted her ass.  I'm speculating (haven't seen any spoilers) that either one of the girls who hasn't gotten much camera time will get it, or you'll see a redemption arc for Lenore (we successfully brainwashed her and now she's competent!), Kier (Brittany makes her look downright pleasant by comparison!), or Jinna (only through DVF can we conquer our addictions!).  

• Love 5

The more I watch the more I think Dianne knew exactly what she was getting with the show.  Did she think she deserved better?  More?  I don't doubt that in an instance.  But she is down there each episode wallowing with the best, or rather worst, of any competitive reality show mogul.  Stirring shit and well aware of all the things going on she isn't present to witness but uses as ammunition to make ratings drama. 

For years Diane has been a bit cranky.  Maybe just typical older person wanting to maintain the relevance she feels slipping away.  Maybe just ego knowing her best days are behind her.  Maybe the professional go-getter feeling the market is running right over her and her share.  I've seen her be very gracious.   Very funny.  But in every moment I see this I also see it wear the fuck out rather fast.  Savvy, smart, she can be very self-aware and often can recover.  But on Project Runway.  On the Colbert Show most recently, she simply does not have much patience even for what amounts to a few minutes in some places.  And even back in the Andy Warhol days she didn't suffer fools lightly.  And right or wrong , I think Diane considers most people who aren't her fall into the fool category sooner or later.

But I hold her fully responsible for this show.  It was scheduled to coincide with all these events that have been on her calendar long before the show was cast or filmed.  And just as the events are almost all to the glory of DVF, so too was the show meant to highlight those high lighting events.  It is a grand circle jerk that might be meant to promote the business but even more soothe what I see as a rather raging ego. 

Don't get me wrong.  I don't see that ego as evil or even offensive.  I find it in the remove entertaining even.  But Diane didn't only invite this show in, but she approved the inclusion into things that personally I think she should have either held out for a higher standard or simply put off limits to this dog and pony show.  no one fooled her into thinking this was going to be some kind of classy documentary approach to the glory that is the inner workings of DVF.  She knew she was playing the "elimination" game no matter hard they try to pretend this isn't that type of show. 

I do think she might have put her faith in better producers who aren't so freaking lazy in the set ups.  She might have been thinking she was getting early season Project Runway or even The Apprentice before Trump ruined it with his ego about three seasons in.  But that in part is also on her.  She is very smart.  Very savvy.  I think perhaps she simply couldn't be bothered to demand or even oversee a better structured showcase.  And maybe that also comes through.  Because every time she looks like someone just entered the room with fresh dog shit on her shoes, she is realizing good reality show magic (an oxymoron in many ways I know) just doesn't happen because you want it to or expect it as your due.

And for someone again who I think doesn't suffer fools gladly, she has only herself to blame for taking on a airport bus full as the means to pimp her brand in this way.  Heck, the fact this is on E! is something even Diane should have taken pause.  Not to mention the people she pays at DVF to advise her and help keep the brand fresh and visible in the way she thinks it should.

• Love 3

You know, when the camera panned to Karlie Kloss at the lunch, I said to myself, "there's a brand ambassador." How about Lupita Nyong'o for Lancôme? Or Natalie Portman for Dior? Coco Rocha for Christian Siriano (not sure that one's official or exclusive,but they're everywhere together)? Heidi Klum and Naomi Campbell for VS? Or, potentially, (gasp, I know) Kendall Jenner for Marc Jacobs or Estée Lauder? Other/better examples exist, but you get the idea.

I'm still baffled by what they're intending to do with this "winner," why they chose this approach to filling this branding need, and how in blue blazes they came up with these candidates as anywhere near viable options.

This show is confusing.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 3

She's the only one with an ounce of humility

Exactly the word that came to my mind in figuring out what they all lack.  

Though Amanda did apologize to Britt, she made the classic mistake by going on & on & on with reasons & excuses.  You simply say "I'm sorry for behaving unprofessionally". Turn, and go on about your tasks.  Don't grovel, don't justify, don't make it personal.  

I keep picturing the eventual "winner" of "Brand Ambassador" being the nicely dressed young lady in the perfume department saying "DVF?" just before she sprays you with Diane's new perfume.  

And regarding professionals like Margaret Russell, they've all been around the reality shows like Project Runway and documentaries, plus expose's, TV movies and assorted other media offerings for a long time.  They've all been quoted, misquoted, slighted, edited and had their words twisted.  I'm thinking they'd be less critical of these contestants than we'd think.  Plus, they know what this show is really about.  Publicity. 

• Love 4

The biggest problem with this show and this competition is that they haven't explained exactly what being a brand ambassador will entail. If it's going to be along the lines of, say, Gisele Bundchen as the face of Chanel No. 5 in their ads, that's one thing. If it's going to be along the lines of lululemon or other stores choosing local customers and giving them a discount on their products, that's another thing.

But I don't really see any circumstance where a brand ambassador is going to be asked to design a new wrap dress or organize a business lunch by shopping for antiques. They have designers to, you know, design. And they have event planners and assistants to take care of lunch.

I am fine with contestants on reality competition shows being asked to do tasks to prove their worth. On American Idol, they have to sing. On Project Runway, they have to design clothes. That makes sense because that's their skill set. But on this show, too many of the tasks are pointless and they are not properly trained to do them. Even being at the Bergdorf event was not a great task because the girls weren't given all the information they needed. You can't just make up prices and delivery dates if the DVF staff didn't give you that info, so I don't fault the girls for floundering, saying, "I don't know," or just talking out of their asses. All that task showed was who could bull shit in the most believable way when their bosses didn't properly prepare them.

• Love 3

All that task showed was who could bull shit in the most believable way when their bosses didn't properly prepare them.

Yes, but in the fashion biz that's called being "creative", "Innovating" and "thinking on your feet".  Not getting plates & forks is called "prioritizing".  Apologizing to a die-hard bitch is called "promoting harmony".  Getting shit-faced drunk is called "decompressing".  Embarrassing yourself repeatedly on camera is called "Being authentic". 

• Love 1

I find myself watching this show and wondering if there is really a "brand ambassador" position at the end of all of this. Anyone remember a reality show from a few years back called Running in Heels? It featured a group of interns working at Jane magazine, a makeup company, a fashion PR company, and I think one other company, I can't quite remember.There was no elimination/ competition; it was simply following the ups and downs of being an intern in the fashion/beauty industry. Some of them were offered jobs at the end, some weren't.  We followed all of them for the entire run of the series, which was about 6-8 weeks. I think House of DVF would have been much better with that type of concept. That way, we could see the entire group of women being integrated into DVF over time, maybe even using them in different departments according to their talents or interests. That way, we could have seen Tiffani being put to work in one of the stores, Codi working with the in-house photographers, etc. Instead, we're being given fake competition with ridiculous tasks,  with all the back-biting and cattiness we've learned to endure from such shows, all for the chance to be a global brand ambassador, whatever that really is. I mean, let's be honest, was Tiffani ever really going to be the global public face of the DVF brand? Tattoos and all? And if we really do get a brand ambassador out of this, will any of us be able to look at her and not recall all the ugliness on display during this show?

Like I've posted before, I'll watch every episode because I love fashion industry insider stuff anyway I can get it, even when I know it's not completely real as shown. It's just that this could have been so much better.

• Love 2

I agree that just having the girls learn different jobs within the company would have been a lot better, especially without the competition and having someone eliminated each week. I would have been fine with having all the girls learn about a different aspect of the company each week (design, marketing, in store events, etc) with the possibility of each of them getting an internship or lower level position at the end of the show if Diane and the rest of the team thought they were a good fit. That kind of show would have shown the audience how the company runs and kept things at a respectable level instead of watching them do these nonsensical tasks for no apparent reason.

• Love 5

For years Diane has been a bit cranky.  Maybe just typical older person wanting to maintain the relevance she feels slipping away.  Maybe just ego knowing her best days are behind her.  Maybe the professional go-getter feeling the market is running right over her and her share.

With respect, Heebie, I have to disagree with this. And I speak as an 'older person'.

I don't see Diane as desperately trying to maintain her relevance. She's head and founder of a global company, president of CFDA (did I get those initials right?) and still obviously personally involved in the day to day operation of her business. She's respected in the fashion world and she's generally known to mentor young people and be generally generous. He business, which she built from nothing, is a success.

Yes, she can be cranky, yes she can be a bitch, yes she's a tough businesswoman who expects her employees to perform and whose main concern on this show is maintaining her reputation and that of her company. So what? If she were a doormat she wouldn't be where she is, she wouldn't be who she is. And--to pull out the obvious--if she were a man no one would think twice about any of this.

Was this show a misstep? Sure, maybe. It's cheesy, tacky and the girls are ridiculous and all wrong. But Diane is still a major player and will remain so after this silly show is a footnote.

• Love 7

I watch this show off and on, but there's something about Abigail that bothers me. She's just ON all the time.

No one asked her to change her personality, just make sure that her bra isn't showing at work; instead, she takes it as an attack. I can't with her.

Anyone remember Stylista? It was a CW reality show a few years ago with Anne Slowey. The winner ended up quitting after a year because the job wasn't what she thought it was going to be.  The same thing will probably happen here.

And does anyone else buy that whole "oh now we SO UNEXPECTEDLY have a thirteenth person joining us OH NO so WHAT DO WE DO oh no i guess we have to cull from this group of interns who just happens to have the cameras following them at all times"?! 

Steffffffffaniii reminds me of a Real Housewife of New Jersey. I just can't with her.

Young Margaret Cho did not look hungover at that meeting. Either she reeked of alcohol, or Jessica (who constantly looks like she just finished sucking a lemon, btw) got some intel that morning about her being a dronk mess. I'm willing to bet money on #2, though #1 is also entirely possible. And she was SUCH a bitch to that guy at the bar. I'm glad he peaced out, who wants to waste any more time and money on such a nasty piece of work?

• Love 1

Given the track records of so many competitive reality shows, I can't help thinking that the young one, booted recently with the promise of an entry level job in one of DVF's stores, won't end up being the true "winner" of the bunch. Assuming she has any semblance of a work ethic, that is.

The extended public opps to see glimpses of their real personalities, preserved on tape, can't be a good thing for the rest.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 2