Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

57 minutes ago, MissyPoo said:

I wonder Hallmark has a tendency to adapt books and keep the names and theme but rewrite it to their Hallmarkized formula. The same thing happened with the MistleToe books, the Vineyard books, and the Midford (sp?) movie which really teed people off. I guess on the plus side it introduces people to new authors they may have never heard of before.

The same thing happened to Stop the Wedding as well.  They really do tend to take the book and keep the first names and then just put their own twist.

• Love 1
On 10/29/2017 at 0:58 PM, kirinan said:

BTW, on another topic for those who are part of the fan club, Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade is on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries several times over the next 10 days or so (that's as far as our cable guide goes ahead). Here's a list of times I found (they're all eastern zone; I'm in the Detroit, Michigan area). I'm disappointed that so far, anyway, it doesn't air in the evening when I can watch it live, but hey, that's why we have DVRs and mine's already set. Autumn and Antonio - my favorite Hallmark couple! 

Monday 10/30 - 3:00 a.m.
Thursday 11/2 - 3:00 p.m.
Friday 11/3 - 5:00 a.m.
Sunday 11/5 - 1:00 a.m.
Monday 11/6 - 11:00 a.m.
Thursday 11/9 - 3:00 a.m.
Saturday 11/11 - 3:00 a.m.

Even though I have it on my DVR, I happened to be off from work and home today so I could watch this afternoon's airing live-ish (of course dog wanted to go for a walk mid-movie). 

I just feel the need to say, again, that this movie makes me smile. It probably gives me the most joy any non-Hallmark Hall of Fame Hallmark movie has ever given me. 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Even though I have it on my DVR, I happened to be off from work and home today so I could watch this afternoon's airing live-ish (of course dog wanted to go for a walk mid-movie). 

I just feel the need to say, again, that this movie makes me smile. It probably gives me the most joy any non-Hallmark Hall of Fame Hallmark movie has ever given me. 

I know exactly what you mean, Irlandesa! I was off sick from work today and caught it about 40 minutes in. I just laid in bed and watched, and it was the best I felt all day. Like comfort food, but for my eyes and ears and heart. And at the end, I thought, "This is the best movie this channel has ever done. I need to watch it again." It just fires on all cylinders, IMO. Chemistry and interesting, intelligent leads, and a non-hackneyed story. (Again, IMO.)

Luckily, I haven't watched the one I DVR'd the other day yet. If I'm home again tomorrow, that may happen. 

• Love 1

I watched them Christmas Cure because I missed the summer airing, and it was okay. I thought that it would be more enjoyable because I like the lead actress and dad (brings back memories of Step by Step), but it was so slow. 

I need to catch Love at the Thanksgiving Parade again- it's been years and needs to be rewatched.

• Love 1

Hallmark has a ton of terrible movies but I really think last night’s ice sculpting one was the worst. The storyline was terrible! 22 year old (?) moves back home (in what looks like a rundown town) and decides that ice sculpting is her life’s work? I mean? There’s a definitely learning curve with going from School to real-life work but everyone is okay with her just deciding not to be a lawyer? After all that money? Ughhhhh! Sometimes you need to pay the bills, not be happy all the time. Dad was terrible too- “I’m sure she’ll throttle through”- lying to the mom. Please. She needed to get a job in a big city for a few years and then move back home and change her career. And the Nick was terrible too, not even cute. I could barely understand him. Bah!

• Love 4

Sometimes quality should be more important then quantity...but Hallmark channel is just giving viewers what they want...a formula.  

I like older holiday tv movies better, but that could be due to time marching on as opposed to any quality.

I do wish that there was a holiday movie where the big city is viewed as salvation vs either a suburb and small town.  People in the city love the holidays just as much, .imho

http://www.chicagonow.com/confessions-coffeeholic/2015/12/top-10-list-of-christmas-tv-movies-1980s-1990s/

• Love 1
On 11/5/2017 at 7:27 AM, sistersledge said:

Hallmark has a ton of terrible movies but I really think last night’s ice sculpting one was the worst. The storyline was terrible! 22 year old (?) moves back home (in what looks like a rundown town) and decides that ice sculpting is her life’s work? I mean? There’s a definitely learning curve with going from School to real-life work but everyone is okay with her just deciding not to be a lawyer? After all that money? Ughhhhh! Sometimes you need to pay the bills, not be happy all the time. Dad was terrible too- “I’m sure she’ll throttle through”- lying to the mom. Please. She needed to get a job in a big city for a few years and then move back home and change her career. And the Nick was terrible too, not even cute. I could barely understand him. Bah!

It was so bad. It must have aired over the weekend, because I had Hallmark on while baking (it just works, because I can get zone in and out of the movie while I perform baking tasks and never miss a thing in the plot). Christmas Land was on first, and I enjoy that movie (though it does have a lot of the tropes that make me roll my eyes in these movies), but I couldn't help but give a mocking play by play to my husband, who was working on the house, as he passed through the kitchen. Finally, "Do you want to know how they saved Christmas Land? It's bad." and I told him how and we chuckled, because it's not the most "real world" solution, but it's fun and you get a happy ending. It was gentle, affectionate joking.

Then the ice sculpting one came on and I kept a running commentary as he came inside to get tools or use the bathroom. I did the same, "Do you want to know how they saved the ice sculpting contest? It's terrrrrrrrible," and told him, but then the rest unfolded as he was standing there (sampling the cake) and we were both merciless. I think it soured me on watching some of the worst ones that I'll still usually leave on in the background.  I'm DVRing my faves (and there are a lot I enjoy and am glad to see pop up) and trying some news ones, but looking for more diverse, less schlocky offerings on other stations.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Darian said:

It was so bad. It must have aired over the weekend, because I had Hallmark on while baking (it just works, because I can get zone in and out of the movie while I perform baking tasks and never miss a thing in the plot).

Ha yes! I thought I was the only one that did this. So true.

I wish the networks would bring back the older Christmas specials of my childhood, such as The Best Christmas Pageant Ever; Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas; and The House Without a Christmas Tree.

Also, I would love it if Nickelodeon would re-run the Rugrats Hanukah special episode.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, dalek said:

I wish the networks would bring back the older Christmas specials of my childhood, such as The Best Christmas Pageant Ever; Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas; and The House Without a Christmas Tree.

Also, I would love it if Nickelodeon would re-run the Rugrats Hanukah special episode.

Nick usually does rerun that special just on their sister channel Teen Nick not the main channel

How was it? I'm watching an UP movie as well- 3 Holiday Tales, and am enjoying it so far except for the annoying girlfriend. It has the cutest puppies and dog in it. I liked last year's Season's Greetings, so hopefully the UP movies this year are decent because Hallmark isn't cutting it.

Caught Once Upon a Holiday again, with Paul Campbell. I liked it better watching it again after getting past the lead actress not being a believable princess at all. What a shame because I liked the premise.

Edited by twoods
37 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

I couldn't even finish Second Chance Christmas, but I thought A Country Christmas was decent. I have actually liked a couple from Hallmark so far, also. 

I suffered through the whole Second Chance Christmas. It got a little better when the husband started to change but it was one of the terrible ones for sure. 

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 3

At first, I thought you guys were talking about this Second Chance Christmas and I was so confused. That one was really well done and had me near tears. Based on everyone's feedback here, I'll probably skip the UP one. 

Does anyone know if Lifetime will be showing repeats of their oldies but goodies? I missed Comfort & Joy and A Christmas Wedding last year (I think it was on FYI?) and was hoping to catch 'em this year.

Finally a preview for Wrapped Up in Christmas!

http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/wrapped-up-in-christmas/wrapped-up-in-christmas-preview

There's also one for the Mario Lopez movie

http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/a-very-merry-toy-store/a-very-merry-toy-store-preview

Edited by MissyPoo
On 11/13/2017 at 7:17 PM, Aliconehead said:

I suffered through the whole Second Chance Christmas. It got a little better when the husband started to change but it was one of the terrible ones for sure. 

Yeah, his lies were too much for me to buy their love story. 

6 hours ago, twoods said:

Country Christmas is so boring so far. The lead actress bugs and her kid is worse, and I lasted 20 minutes. Hopefully  Enchanted Christmas is decent.

Country Christmas was so boring I turned it off about 45 minutes in. 

• Love 2

Yeah, A Very Country Christmas was just bland. Too many pointless characters, too much redundant talk, not enough story, meh.

As for Netflix's A Christmas Prince, I really had to check twice if it wasn't an old script repurposed, because despite the likeable Rose McIver as the lead, it just felt like the writers (one of whom wrote S. Darko... yeesh) took all the Hallmark Royal/Princess/Prince/Crown Christmas tropes, and copy/pasted them in Final Draft before changing the names and the places. Not particularly impressed by Ben Lamb, either or by most of the supporting cast (the kid was fine ; she was in Sherlock, I think). The locations looked nice, though.

I wonder if I am making the mistake of assuming any made for TV Christmas movie is a Hallmark movie.  I don't get the Hallmark channel so am seeing them on other stations.  If so is crossover between threads ok or should I be checking more carefully before posting?!

That's a good question. If it were up to me, I probably would keep all Christmas movies discussion in this thread (be they Hallmark, UpTV, ION or Lifetime), but apparently, there doesn't seem to be a hard rule about it, so... *shrug*

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BlossomCulp said:

I wonder if I am making the mistake of assuming any made for TV Christmas movie is a Hallmark movie.  I don't get the Hallmark channel so am seeing them on other stations.  If so is crossover between threads ok or should I be checking more carefully before posting?!

If you want to be safe, just post your thoughts in here whether it's a Hallmark movie or non-Hallmark.  Most of us check both threads.  Plus---

10 minutes ago, Kaoteek said:

That's a good question. If it were up to me, I probably would keep all Christmas movies discussion in this thread (be they Hallmark, UpTV, ION or Lifetime), but apparently, there doesn't seem to be a hard rule about it, so... *shrug*

I think last year, all holiday movies (other than the Rankin-Bass specials), were discussed in this thread.  This year, it seems like most Hallmark discussion is in the Hallmark thread--although not all.  I don't care either way except that it's weird to see a movie one night and then have to manage two threads if it's discussed in both.

• Love 1

Thanks for the input.  And for providing a place to talk about Christmas movies - my family doesn't understand why I watch them!!

Anyway moving a comment from the other thread to say:

Just watched A Christmas Wedding Date - really liked this one.  The lead actress was extremely good for one thing!  What I also liked was that by the time the movie ended they had put some of the focus back on the couple who were getting married.  At first it was like the bride and groom didn't matter even though it was their wedding!  Anyway this one's a keeper.  I can seem myself watching it again - always a barometer of how much I liked a movie.  Some of the Christmas movies I've watched so far this year I haven't even made it through 10 minutes let alone ever planning to watch again!

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 2

I watched Second Chance Christmas even though it got bad reviews here just because I liked the potential for angst that was not related to some random other boyfriend or mixup.  And I appreciated the angst until the lies.  All the lies.  Oy. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I watched Second Chance Christmas even though it got bad reviews here just because I liked the potential for angst that was not related to some random other boyfriend or mixup.  And I appreciated the angst until the lies.  All the lies.  Oy. 

He lied too much for me to root for them to be together. He got caught lying and then apologized an continued to lie.

• Love 1

Just finished The Spruces & The Pines (ION's December 3d movie, aired early in my country) : a small budget version of Romeo & Juliet/Hatfields & McCoys (both mentioned in the movie), that was thankfully dynamic & lighthearted enough to make me care about the lead couple, their playful dynamics and the rest of the cast. Nothing extraordinary, but I was happily surprised to see something somewhat less formulaïc than the standard Hallmark fare, especially since I didn't care much for any of the previous Christmas movies the writer wrote (Christmas on the Bayou, Wish Upon a Christmas, The Christmas Cure and a bunch of Lifetime thrillers).

2 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

Just finished The Spruces & The Pines (ION's December 3d movie, aired early in my country) : a small budget version of Romeo & Juliet/Hatfields & McCoys (both mentioned in the movie), that was thankfully dynamic & lighthearted enough to make me care about the lead couple, their playful dynamics and the rest of the cast. Nothing extraordinary, but I was happily surprised to see something somewhat less formulaïc than the standard Hallmark fare, especially since I didn't care much for any of the previous Christmas movies the writer wrote (Christmas on the Bayou, Wish Upon a Christmas, The Christmas Cure and a bunch of Lifetime thrillers).

Looks interesting

Okay, just saw my favorite holiday movie so far this year, Christmas Homecoming with Julie Benz and Michael Shanks. I was already disposed to like it because of Michael Shanks, but I loved it anyway. The leads were both so likable, had great chemistry, and the relationship developed in a grown-up way. Yes, I kind of guessed the plot turns before it unfolded all the way, but that wasn't an issue for me at all. And it made me cry a little at the end. I will definitely watch this one again. 

And P.S. Michael Shanks is aging well. He'll always be Dr. Daniel Jackson to me first and foremost, but more roles like this, please!

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1

I didn't realize that HMM has been having new movies every Saturday and Sunday as well. That is, what, over 30 Christmas movies that hallmark is churning out over the holidays? That is absolutely insane! I wish some of those good movies would make it over to Hallmark. I wonder why the movies seem to be better on the movie channel than the regular channel, and how they determine which movie goes where. 

So far, the Danica movie is decent.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

I started fast forwarding through Christmas Homecoming about half way through. I like both of the stars and they did a good job but this just didn't grab me.  Maybe it was a bit too serious for my tastes. 

I'm glad you liked it, though. 

22 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I started fast forwarding through Christmas Homecoming about half way through. I like both of the stars and they did a good job but this just didn't grab me.  Maybe it was a bit too serious for my tastes. 

I'm glad you liked it, though. 

Yeah. I watched the Danica movie first since it started earlier, and I actually really enjoyed that movie except for the usual misunderstanding at the 1 hour 45 minute mark (I wish they'd stop that). Still,  it's one I will rewatch. Then, I figured I'd try Christmas Homecoming right after. I wasn't sure if it was because it was later and I was a little more distracted, or if I just wasn't getting into it. If I have the time, I'll give it another try before tomorrow's movies since at least one person has really enjoyed it. I don't have enough space to save it much longer. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, twoods said:

I didn't realize that HMM has been having new movies every Saturday and Sunday as well. That is, what, over 30 Christmas movies that hallmark is churning out over the holidays? That is absolutely insane! I wish some of those good movies would make it over to Hallmark. I wonder why the movies seem to be better on the movie channel than the regular channel, and how they determine which movie goes where. 

So far, the Danica movie is decent.

Yep 33, I think? 12 on HMM and the rest on HC. Yikes. I agree though. The HMM movies have been stronger for me and until Danica's movie, I haven't had a frontrunner on my list from the main channel. Lacey's was okay and I'll prob watch it if it's on but I won't seek it out. Danica's I'm looking forward to watching again. A pleasant surprise considering I couldn't stand her movie last year.

I saw the Hallmark Facebook admin describe the differences as HMM has the dramatic classic movies while the main channel is for lighthearted romances. I guess that's why they kind of feel like candy while the others have a little more weight to them.

I'm noticing the old classics they had on rotation on HMM have been relegated to the app. Stuff like Silver Bells, that Gary Sinise one, and A Case For Christmas plus some others. They're really pushing their new Crown Media logo movies more on the main channels.

• Love 1

I started with the Hallmark movie but ended up switching to Christmas Homecoming. I usually like Danica’s movies. Must have been the mood I was in. 

There were a few typical over the top parts in Christmas Homecoming but overall I enjoyed the story. I’ll have to give Danica’s another try. 

Edited by Mountainair

I ended up watching Danica's movie yesterday, and I liked it well enough. It was great to see Neal Bledsoe, who played Robert; I remember him from The Mysteries of Laura. He was in it for several episodes as Laura's hot younger chef boyfriend, and I really liked him in that. And as someone else mentioned, it was nice to turn the "stubborn little kid who comes around" trope on its head a little with the grandmother. It was no Crown for Christmas, of course, but I would watch it again.

I watched The Christmas Calendar last night.  I knew who the secret admirer was from the beginning because

Spoiler

it reminded me of last year's My Christmas Love. In that story the 12 gifts of Christmas were sent by the mother who had died.

Laura Bell Bundy and Alison Sweeney look so much alike that I started thinking I was watching a Hannah Swenson bakery movie.

ION movies keep airing early around here, so we just got Snowmance (Nov 26th movie), in which Ashley Newbrough sculpts a snowman every year with her childhood bff-who-loves-her-in-secret Adam Hurtig. Until the day the snowman disappears and is replaced by Jesse Hutch, who seems to be Ashley's dream man.

Aside from the magical snowman concept, the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously every now and then (sadly, not frequently enough) & the early childhood scenes (though I don't remember kids takings selfies 18 years ago...), I was left cold (pun intended) by this one ; but then again Adam Hurtig & Jesse Hutch don't really work for me as romantic leads (Hutch is better here when he's clowning around as the clueless/goofy snowman-turned-person). Newbrough was likeable enough, her weird, tough, rural redhead bff/colleague was amusing (a tad derivative & sitcomy, though) and overall, it was harmless, but... eh.

----

As for The Christmas Calendar, it was okayish, mainly due to Laura Bell Bundy, the supporting cast and the overall lighthearted vibe of the movie. That said, the "mystery" wasn't particularly mysterious (it was very derivative), and I gotta say I had to roll my eyes at the pseudo-french love interest with his pseudo-french accent and his pseudo-french baking, scored with accordion.

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 1

I just saw Journey to Christmas and before I get critical about it I'd like to say I actually did really enjoy it.  I thought all the leads did a good job (although it freaked me out to see Tom Skerrit playing an octogenarian) and I like the story itself.  Ok that said what was with the excessive paranoia and suspicion directed towards Hanna?  I could totally see not believing she time travelled 71 years into the future, but the attitude on the part of some that she was up to no good and that the police should be arresting her was puzzling to say the least!  Arrest her for what?  Wearing vintage clothing?

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 3

First holiday movie watch - Marry Me at Christmas.

So cute. I really like Trevor Donovan. He's got charisma and can help carry the film unlike a lot of generic male leads that tend to star in these types of films. The lead actress was OK although he curls were awful. She looked so much prettier when she straightened her hair at the end. 

A side note though - his drawings were brutal. Like something a child drew. I thought it was hilarious he gave up his movie career to do that full time.

It was a little cheesy at some parts but I thought the leads in Wrapped Up For Christmas had great chemistry and I liked the family bonds. They felt natural and not forced.

I liked that they filmed at a real mall too and that you could see the real stores in the background.

On a shallow note Tatyana Ali looked gorgeous.

I'm not a fan of women turning down good jobs in these movies to stay around men they've only known for a few weeks but I'm glad Heather negotiated  a pay raise and a new title when she decided to stay.

Skipping the mini movie cuz it looks boring.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, In2You said:

It was a little cheesy at some parts but I thought the leads in Wrapped Up For Christmas had great chemistry and I liked the family bonds. They felt natural and not forced.

I liked that they filmed at a real mall too and that you could see the real stores in the background.

I'm not a fan of women turning down good jobs in these movies to stay around men they've only known for a few weeks but I'm glad Heather negotiated  a pay raise and a new title when she decided to stay.

I think being near her family was important, too, plus her sister and brother-in-law were saying they wanted to work from home more and ease back on their high-powered careers to spend more time with their daughter. Because of those things, it came across more like a gender-neutral life balance/quality of life sort of message than bashing women in the corporate world, unlike many holiday movies past.

Enjoyed the movie, though seeing Jasmine Guy as Kim Fields' mother and married to "Geoffrey the Butler" was very disconcerting!

• Love 4

Wrapped up In Christmas was really cute. Most of the cast were from shows I used to love, and the chemistry was great. Plus, diversity! I also liked how they explained why the lead lived in a big house even if he didn't have a current stable job, and Tatyana didn't have to give up her job for love. I also liked the side story with the friends liking each other. Definitely going to be rewatched soon. 

Tomorrow's Lifetime movie also looks good. Yay for quality,  not quantity!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

Don't forget that ION starts their new movies tonight and will be airing their older ones starting this morning, and it's rinse and repeat each Sunday for that schedule.

Also, just in case you miss it in your TV's on-screen guide, I missed Wrapped up in Christmas and forgot to set it to record. It will repeat next Sunday at 6pm ET with the exact same name. But it will repeat before then though too, on Monday night (11/27) at 8pm and midnight, but with the title Wrapped Up in Christmas: Director's Cut. I can only assume Lifetime is trying to make me laugh with this, and they've succeeded - this isn't Schindler's List, Lifetime. It appears to be 9 minutes longer.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, In2You said:

Skipping the mini movie cuz it looks boring.

It was actually pretty sweet! It was a tad slow in the beginning to set things up, but the ending was really heartwarming. It kind of reminds me of old school Sci-Fi Channel and how they used to show short films between their features.

I'm so glad Lifetime is back in the game again this year after their hiatus. I missed them but they returned with a bang with the great lineup, little vids, and short films after the feature. I was really looking forward to Wrapped Up in Christmas and it didn't disappoint! The story balanced all the characters very well and I was invested in everyone including Heather's & Ryan's families and the friend and her guy at the music store. Plus, yay diversity! I love how people were just people interacting in their everyday lives and their families were excited about their potential matches. Seeing so many familiar faces I grew up with as a kid on my fave shows was a bonus, too. I'll rewatch this again as one of my new faves. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Dejana said:

Enjoyed the movie, though seeing Jasmine Guy as Kim Fields' mother and married to "Geoffrey the Butler" was very disconcerting!

Same here. I actually had to look up their ages, because it was not computing for me. JG and KF are only 7 years apart. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DanaMB said:

Same here. I actually had to look up their ages, because it was not computing for me. JG and KF are only 7 years apart. 

Kim looks a lot younger, but still, it seems kind of sexist, I doubt they'd have never cast...IDK, Kadeem Hardison, as the dad here.  I was thinking that maybe Jasmine could have played the boss with Jackée as the mom, but according to their reported ages, she is just 13 years older than Kim.

It took a minute to place Dan Lauria.

Edited by Dejana