Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E02: Boston's Bravest And Finest

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

So far I am liking Doug, Gregory and Stacy. Katsuji moved onto my like list since last week (I loved his "When life gives you lemons, take a shot of tequila then suck the lemon" comment) and I was a little worried about Adam because of some of his quick-fire comments, but his rection to getting the crab snacks impressed me. I hate seeing chefs do the "Oh noes! A chef of my talent could not possibly debase myself with this horrid excuse for food!" thing. Adam's "Well, I tried it and didn't drop dead, so it should be fine" was appreciated and made me laugh.

I'm sad to see Joy go. Her dish last week seemed yummy and I liked what I saw of her personality.

I'm reserving judgement of Mei. I don't blame her for being worried about her team, but she maybe should have realized that Broccoli's boring salad and Katsuji's million ingredient fiasco might balance each other out on a team challenge where they have to make one dish. Micro-managing can also be a pretty descent strategy when you're teamed with weaker folks (and they aren't going to push back against it). I guess overall, my feeling is the line between arrogant and confident if a fine one, so I'll give her a few more weeks. But please, please stop the name dropping!

• Love 1

My reaction wasn't as strong but there's a point where I get tired of reality competition shows almost fetishing cops and firefighters. It seems like *every* cooking show has to have the obligatory "Bravest and Finest". Its certainly not just Top Chef but after a while it comes off as cloying and production "ringing the bell" - they're in Boston so it's obligatory.

That's fine (and understandable) but is, IMO, a different objection than the idea that Boston should no longer acknowledge a terrible tragedy that took place here a mere year and a half after it happened. 

I think that part of the reason that cooking shows, including Top Chef, like to focus on firefighters is because there is a natural tie with firehouse cooks (Fire Chief Hassan even mentioned that).  There is a less of connection with the police, but given that the Marathon bombing really wasn't that long ago - and yes, that they did act heroically, along with the medical community - I don't think that there was anyway that they wouldn't do something acknowledge it, just as there was no way that they weren't going to do a challenge at Fenway.  I actually don't think that they really did all that much to overly glorify the members of the BPD and BFD that were there.  I was a bit surprised at how much they focused on Adam's story about his mother on 9/11 rather than what happened during the Marathon, but they did have the one first responder discuss how she attended the wedding of one of the survivors, so I was happy to see that. 

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 2

I realized the other night what it is about Todd English that seems to make his looks so strange.  The man has no neck.  I'll not make fun of him because he could have spinal or back issues (like I do), but his head looks like it's resting smack on top of his shoulders.  Also, he is looking a little older and pudgier these days. 

Lily of the Valley, sorry you don't like Boston.  I think you need to live there for a while to see what it's really like.  And, IMO, there's nothing wrong with any city or town doing something nice for people who helped them. 

Lighten up!   :)

Edited by Lura
  • Love 5

Personally I think the number of savory foods vanilla successful pairs with is zero.  But I could be wrong. In this case though?  I knew I wasn't.

Do french fries dipped in Dairy Queen soft serve count? Other than that, maybe something like bacon or sausage at breakfast with a vanilla syrup, but I just can't imagine a real meal where savory dishes are full of vanilla. Nothing about vanilla with veal sounds appetizing. 

Todd's had a rough few years...he's pretty much persona non grata in the Boston restaurant world nowadays (unpaid rent, stiffing suppliers, closing restaurants) so maybe it was just stress that made him look so unlike his formerly handsome self.<br /><br />Also, I work at one of the hospitals in Boston, and I had friends and family at the Marathon finish line. There's still a lot a trauma to be processed (we have to hear about the bomber's trial every.single.day), so if Top Chef wants to celebrate a group of first responders, more power to them.

• Love 7

My reaction wasn't as strong but there's a point where I get tired of reality competition shows almost fetishing cops and firefighters. It seems like *every* cooking show has to have the obligatory "Bravest and Finest". Its certainly not just Top Chef but after a while it comes off as cloying and production "ringing the bell" - they're in Boston so it's obligatory.

How about: 

Dog rescue volunteers

Pilots, they have our lives in their hands everyday.  

I work with rescue dogs and my son is a pilot!  But I am serious.  

• Love 1

Todd English also got a lot of local media play when he cancelled his wedding pretty much on the day of his wedding (his erstwhile fiancee went on to flame out pretty spectacularly, so that wasn't a total loss for him) and he's since shown up drunk and lecherous a few times with NY Post reporters in attendance. I think he has issues.

That said, we ate dinner one mother's day (we always go out the day before to avoid the crowds, but I really didn't feel like cooking) at the Figs in LaGuardia Airport, and the food is actually pretty decent.

Edited by Julia

So far I am liking Doug, Gregory and Stacy. Katsuji moved onto my like list since last week (I loved his "When life gives you lemons, take a shot of tequila then suck the lemon" comment) and I was a little worried about Adam because of some of his quick-fire comments, but his rection to getting the crab snacks impressed me. I hate seeing chefs do the "Oh noes! A chef of my talent could not possibly debase myself with this horrid excuse for food!" thing. Adam's "Well, I tried it and didn't drop dead, so it should be fine" was appreciated and made me laugh.

I've had squid snack, which is surprisingly good (but too high in sodium for me, and you pretty much need to buy floss when you eat it) but I wonder if crab snacks are similar.

Lily of the Valley, sorry you don't like Boston.  I think you need to live there for a while to see what it's really like.  And, IMO, there's nothing wrong with any city or town doing something nice for people who helped them. 

Boston is an amazing city.  Everytime I'm there I stuff myself silly with lobsters and Mike's.  Then, I get a box of Mike's for the plane, and shoot dirty, threatening looks to anyone who eyeballs my box of Mike's pastries.  One time a guy said "wow, that box looks good" and I may or may not have thought about strangling him with the twine they tie around the box.  But I digress.....Boston is a lovely city, strange weather, but so much history!  And pastries!  and walking trails!  And everyone has an accent!  And there are guys dressed up like the founding fathers for work!

• Love 2

You know what I love about this show?  Douches like Aaron do not win.  The guys with the douche hat never win.  It's such a good feeling. 

I think that is because part of what makes them douches is that they brag without the talent to back it up.  No talent = no win.

Ah, Mei.  I hate women like Mei.  I have had several encounters with women like Mei over the years and I loathed every last one of them.  To the Meis of the world: we do not need your babysitting.  You can taste a sauce without beforehand saying, "I'll be needing to taste that!"  Fucking hate women like Mei with a passion.

I don't like men that babysit, hover, and feel the need to point out that they think they are better than teammates with a lot of history to back it up (it is only  the second episode). It is not only women that do this (for the record, I don't like the women that do this either).  

There have been a few times in other seasons, in later episodes, that someone who has won a number of challenges is paired with someone who is barely squeaking by, and the better chef takes charge.  Usually, they aren't as obnoxious about it and usually the lesser chef knows that they are the lesser chef, so it is okay.  But this was only the second episode - Mai may have reason to believe that she is better than her teammates, but she should keep those thoughts to herself and her talking heads.  No eye-rolling, no demanding to taste things - just ask to taste it.  

ETA:

I forgot to mention: SWAAAAYYYZE!!!!

I love that that guy busted out his Patrick Swayze tattoo so earnestly! Roadhouse 4 Lyfe! OTOH, you have a tattoo of Patrick Swayze. On your arm. And you didn't do it while you were drunk. 

God, yes! Preach! Bwah!

I do not like what I perceive as "fascism-lite", where we worship people in uniforms.  It turns my stomach, but you cannot say anything because then you are not someone who like "heroes" or something.  I did not mind Boston before this media blitz of bowing down to anyone there who wears a uniform of some sort.  Apparently the doctors and nurses from that day are not the "bravest" and "finest" the city has to offer.  Oh no, we need people who wear uniforms and have military-style ranks.  I am sick of the military and police being treated like some master race that is above all the rest of us.  Surely any person who has even a half-ass education can see why this might be troublesome.   

Edited by LilyoftheValley
  • Love 1

Just finished watching the ep.

Aaron is extremely unlikeble, and i was disappointed that he didn't do enough to be ousted this week.  Not fun to watch or attractive in looks or attitude.

Mei seems like a great chef and I hope she goes far.  But, the constant Michael Voltaggio name-dropping and profanity with F every other word is extremely annoying and makes watching less enjoyable.  I don't have any hopes that that will end so we're probably stuck with it for the season.  I'd like to be able to watch with my kids and not have them wonder why it's bleeping every other second when she speaks.  

I felt nauseated at the thought of overpoweringly vanilla-scented raw veal.  Puke.  

Even though all my comments are negative, I do love this show and am so happy it's back :)  So far Boston seems to be a good season,and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out!

I like how they switched it up and the whole group comes out to judges table rather than making it obvious by calling out one group first.  

I'm still trying to learn everyone's name on the show.  I like the black guy a lot.  Is his name Doug?  He seems to have a fair amount of talent at cooking, and I like his attitude.  I also like the guy whose mother was single, and he was raised in a trailer park.  James, I think?  He won the QF this week.  Of the women, none stand out to me yet.  Mai did, but after this week, I'm not sure about her attitude.  Time will tell.  My favorite woman was sent home this week.

I'm still trying to learn everyone's name on the show.  I like the black guy a lot.  Is his name Doug?  He seems to have a fair amount of talent at cooking, and I like his attitude.  I also like the guy whose mother was single, and he was raised in a trailer park.  James, I think?  He won the QF this week.  Of the women, none stand out to me yet.  Mai did, but after this week, I'm not sure about her attitude.  Time will tell.  My favorite woman was sent home this week.

I believe the first guy you're referring to is Gregory, and the second is Adam.

I felt nauseated at the thought of overpoweringly vanilla-scented raw veal.  Puke.  

I don't think vanilla has ever been used in a savoury dish on this show where it hasn't been on the bottom!

I could see a little bit of vanilla bean in a bourbon-based barbecue sauce for red meat, maybe with some coffee. For some reason, though, they seem to keep using it for delicate proteins like lobster or veal. I'm not sure I get that.

• Love 1

I could see a little bit of vanilla bean in a bourbon-based barbecue sauce for red meat, maybe with some coffee. For some reason, though, they seem to keep using it for delicate proteins like lobster or veal. I'm not sure I get that.

There was a short-lived mini trend of serving lobster with a vanilla sauce or infused with vanilla, the idea being that lobster is somewhat sweet and so vanilla would complement it.  This trend was short-lived for a reason.  Vanilla and sweet sauces over-powered the lobster.  Similar things have been tried a few times on TC but as BC Mama points out, they always fail.  

• Love 2

The funny thing, to me, about the vanilla is that I think you can make a decent sauce for meat using actual sugar, which you can't really do with vanilla.  In part, because vanilla - while a flavor enhancer in baking - can overpower so many other kinds of taste.  But with sugar, if you have a deft hand, you can balance the sweet with spicy and make an interesting sauce. 

I don't know why Joy's team just didn't stick with the maple sauce - that would have actually been fine, and a nice nod to one of the region's most delicious ingredients.  But they put the vanilla in both the marinade and the puree, so it isn't surprising it overwhelmed teh dish.

• Love 1

BC Mama, we were both wrong and both right.  I have the names and the pictures of the cast in front of me.  You were right about Gregory's name, while I was right about James.

Aaron!  Finally!  A contestant I can loathe even more than I loathe Padma.

Plus I really don't like my residual 9/11 PTSD triggered by non-stories from the front line.  

So far, I'm liking the modest & softspoken, Adam, the effervescent Katsuji, the stand-yr-ground Stacy, the athletic & graceful Greg, and -- yep! -- the much-beleagured Kerriann because frankly in her situation, I would have gone after Aaron's genitals with a paring knife.

I'm on the fence with Mei.  I like that she complimented Katsuji's sauce after tasting it.  Of course, we're not seeing these people's personalities at all.  We're seeing the "Top Chef"'s editors in action.

So far, I'm liking the modest & softspoken, Adam, the effervescent Katsuji, the stand-yr-ground Stacy, the athletic & graceful Greg, and -- yep! -- the much-beleagured Kerriann because frankly in her situation, I would have gone after Aaron's genitals with a paring knife.

Mostly agree. I like Greg even more since I read in his bio that he is a dedicated yoga practitioner. Me too! Edited by cooksdelight
Fixing double post

Todd's had a rough few years...he's pretty much persona non grata in the Boston restaurant world nowadays (unpaid rent, stiffing suppliers, closing restaurants) so maybe it was just stress that made him look so unlike his formerly handsome self.

TV Guide described him as a foodie instead of a chef so it does sound like his rep is slipping.

I'm worried about Aaron slipping by. He reminds me of the winner from last season.

I wish I could get on the Katsuji bandwagon. I think I have some prejudice because he was on Chopped. I hate when people recycle through the different reality shows.

• Love 1

And then as soon as [Aaron] brought up gelatin, [Keriann] got on her high horse about "not doing molecular," but he wasn't suggesting molecular.  He was just saying, "if there's gelatin in there, what do you think?"  

This gives me a giggle.  The next time I go back to the family farm and one of my aunts or cousins brings out a red jello cake or a quivering green jello mold with carrots and cool whip, I am going to shake my head sorrowfully and drawl, "Now, I don't know if I hold with this here molecular gastronomy."  Then they'll laugh with me, because I think they all watch Top Chef.

I wasn't thrilled with Aaron or Keriann.  I remember thinking that the second that Aaron opened his mouth, it didn't really matter what he said, Keriann was going to respond negatively, and that Aaron would just be harvesting the asshole seeds he'd been so assiduously planting.  You don't get to be a dick when it suits your self-constructed "I'm not here to make friends" storyline and then not be prepared to compensate when people hear everything you say through a dick filter.  Keriann also shot herself in the foot by getting caught up in the dick filter, rather than taking a step back and listening to what was actually going on.  Neither of them strikes me as the sharpest knife in the block.

• Love 2