Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E02: Boston's Bravest And Finest

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

You know what I love about this show?  Douches like Aaron do not win.  The guys with the douche hat never win.  It's such a good feeling.  

Ah, Mei.  I hate women like Mei.  I have had several encounters with women like Mei over the years and I loathed every last one of them.  To the Meis of the world: we do not need your babysitting.  You can taste a sauce without beforehand saying, "I'll be needing to taste that!"  Fucking hate women like Mei with a passion.  

Oh and Boston, hey, I'm real sorry about that thing that happened quite a while back.  You know, I used to have a completely neutral opinion about your city and its inhabitants, but now I find you to be the most obnoxious, self-congratulatory ass-hats on the planet. So your paramedics, firefighters, and police all just did their jobs?  I feel like maybe a month's worth of back pats were in order, but certainly not a year's worth.  Seriously, I am starting to hate Boston.  Those accents used to sound sort of cool, but now they just grate on my every last nerve.  And OMG, policemen and firefighters: you go to work and do your job and you get compensated for the fact that your job exposes you to more danger.  You get paid in money.  Do you really need to be treated like a master race on top of that?  Again, I used to have a neutral opinion, but this has gotten out of hand.  

• Love 2

Ah, Mei.  I hate women like Mei.  I have had several encounters with women like Mei over the years and I loathed every last one of them.  To the Meis of the world: we do not need your babysitting.  You can taste a sauce without beforehand saying, "I'll be needing to taste that!"  Fucking hate women like Mei with a passion.  

As a woman, I don't hate Mei. But I do think she is arrogant in the extreme. My best friend for many years is Asian. We've worked with eachother at 2 different companies. She does tend to wear business dress even though the standards were casual dress and casual as all heck. She does work her butt off and does speak her mind. She is well respected within our industry. And for good reason. However, I've never heard her speak with arrogance. Not once in the 10 years I've known her as a co-worker or friend. So I understand that women of certain cultural backgrounds should assert themselves in various ways. But what I saw from Mei was arrogance and disdain for others she thought below her. Rudeness is uncalled for.

But hey, we can all pretend that what I interpreted from Mei was all due to a RBF. And yes, I've known that was a "thing" for a very long time. I doubt her RBF is to blame for her attitude and what came out of her mouth. Sure, she gave her teammate his due but I don't see why that was even necessary in the first place. Flame away PTVers!

Edited by turbogirlnyc
  • Love 1

But hey, we can all pretend that what I interpreted from Mei was all due to a RBF. And yes, I've known that was a "thing" for a very long time. I doubt her RBF is to blame for her attitude and what came out of her mouth. Sure, she gave her teammate his due but I don't see why that was even necessary in the first place. Flame away PTVers!

Generally, I would be open to a defense of RBF, but I don't think RBF explains an exasperated sigh, pushing your hair back and a simultaneous eye roll.  She was upset that she was on a team with two people she considered to be inferior to her.  Based on the two challenges they had, she was right.  She had won one challenge and I feel was in the top on the other challenge.  Both of her teammates were in the bottom.  So, I don't mind her feeling that way, but there is no reason to show it in that way.  As someone said before, the two of them probably already feel bad about being in the bottom, so they really didn't need that reaction from her, and it didn't really help anything.  If anything it would have made the two of them push against her harder.  And this is just the start of the competition, its way early to get your head big from a win.

Having said that - I like that she seems willing to stand up for herself and not let herself get steamrolled.  I just think she could have done all of that without the eyerolling, or even a little more judiciously.  But much better she stand up for herself than do what Joy did, and just keep quiet to pacify the team and end up getting cut.

• Love 3

NOOOOO not vanilla! Jeez I can't cook and I even know vanilla is a no-no. Of course that knowledge comes from Worlds Worst Cook but still.......I've been in food and Beverage for over 40 years and everyone cusses. It's just the way it is. We also stand and walk for 10 to 15 hours every day so standing by while the judges eat is no big deal. 

NOOOOO not vanilla! Jeez I can't cook and I even know vanilla is a no-no. Of course that knowledge comes from Worlds Worst Cook but still.......I've been in food and Beverage for over 40 years and everyone cusses. It's just the way it is. We also stand and walk for 10 to 15 hours every day so standing by while the judges eat is no big deal. 

The moment I heard that dude mention vanilla I smelt doom.  It's like someone piping up and suggesting adding Truffle Oil.

• Love 3
Oh and Boston, hey, I'm real sorry about that thing that happened quite a while back.  You know, I used to have a completely neutral opinion about your city and its inhabitants, but now I find you to be the most obnoxious, self-congratulatory ass-hats on the planet.

Top Chef was filmed in the spring and may have coincided with the one-year anniversary of the Marathon bombing. Frankly, I thought more time was spent on Adam's 9/11 story than any mention of the Marathon (if you want to talk about events that happened "quite a while back"). Boston can be a very provincial city, but not everyone has those Good Will Hunting accents...I would say that most don't - but it depends on your line of work. And there's more to like in the city than not. Visit sometime and give us a chance :)

This isn't the first time there was a first responder challenge on Top Chef, either. 

Nothing more to add than I loved seeing Aaron get schooled for the two-hour chorizo jam. I'm an at-home canner with no professional experience and even I would have been able to reduce it without agar. I'm suspicious anyway of someone who says "I'm not known for playing well with others," and seems proud of that distinction. Don't you have to get along with people in the kitchen?

I love vanilla and vanilla beans but "vanilla veal" sounded disgusting, IMO.

• Love 4

I like Mei so far.  I appreciate seeing good chefs make good food and I can see that coming with her.  I don't think she did anything bad.  She is fighting to stay and hopefully win.  

I love vanilla and vanilla beans but "vanilla veal" sounded disgusting, IMO.

Personally I think the number of savory foods vanilla successful pairs with is zero.  But I could be wrong. In this case though?  I knew I wasn't.

• Love 3

Nothing more to add than I loved seeing Aaron get schooled for the two-hour chorizo jam. I'm an at-home canner with no professional experience and even I would have been able to reduce it without agar. I'm suspicious anyway of someone who says "I'm not known for playing well with others," and seems proud of that distinction. Don't you have to get along with people in the kitchen?

Nothing's inherently wrong with agar--it's just when you put it in the hands of an egotistical idiot who wants to use it to play an unnecessary trick that could have been done even better by... well... about a half hour of simply applying heat.

And really it just sounds idiotic to use agar with freaking CHORIZO jam. From what I know people only use agar because it's considered vegan.  So using it for your Meat-based jam?  Makes him sound like a real mega-tool.

Oh and Boston, hey, I'm real sorry about that thing that happened quite a while back.  You know, I used to have a completely neutral opinion about your city and its inhabitants, but now I find you to be the most obnoxious, self-congratulatory ass-hats on the planet. So your paramedics, firefighters, and police all just did their jobs?  I feel like maybe a month's worth of back pats were in order, but certainly not a year's worth.  Seriously, I am starting to hate Boston.  Those accents used to sound sort of cool, but now they just grate on my every last nerve.  And OMG, policemen and firefighters: you go to work and do your job and you get compensated for the fact that your job exposes you to more danger.  You get paid in money.  Do you really need to be treated like a master race on top of that?  Again, I used to have a neutral opinion, but this has gotten out of hand.  

What an odd reaction. Firstly, Top Chef isn't the city of Boston, you know.  I am pretty sure that the city of Boston didn't ask Top Chef to create a challenge honoring the police and firefighters.  Secondly, yes, they did their job.  They did it well.  There's something wrong in celebrating people who put their lives in danger for doing their job well?  Thirdly, "treated like a master race" because they had one celebratory dinner on Top Chef? I don't really think that the problem is with Boston in this case.

I was here that day and the week after.  I know a victim who, thankfully, did not lose her life or any limbs but went through a number of surgeries. I was in lockdown, the whole nine yards.  It was traumatic, and in a lot of ways the city is still recovering.  Just like, 13 years later, New York is still processing 9/11 and 9 years later, New Orleans is still processing Hurricane Katrina.  Not sure why Boston should be singled out for oh-my-God, celebrating the people who kept as both safe and free from panic during a very difficult time.

Top Chef was filmed in the spring and may have coincided with the one-year anniversary of the Marathon bombing. Frankly, I thought more time was spent on Adam's 9/11 story than any mention of the Marathon (if you want to talk about events that happened "quite a while back"). Boston can be a very provincial city, but not everyone has those Good Will Hunting accents...I would say that most don't - but it depends on your line of work. And there's more to like in the city than not. Visit sometime and give us a chance :)

This isn't the first time there was a first responder challenge on Top Chef, either.

Agreed on all counts, archer1267.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 22

Aaron may just be a griefer. He certainly got a huge grin on his face as soon as blonde-lady-who-is-also-annoying took the bait. My impression is that he's punching way above his weight, he was chosen to be cannonfodder, and he's decided to try to extend his fifteen minutes by being a dudebro douchebag. It's worked before.

Edited by Julia

Vanilla Ice with the perma-hat said he doesn't work well with others?  My goodness, why are you working in the restaurant industry then?

As for Mei, yes she did rub me the wrong way a bit with her attitude about her teammates.  I do understand her concern seeing as Katsuji is a bit all over the place (But talented!) and Broccoli Salad's skills seem limited (So far we've only seen her make salads).  I do think though, that there's a way of showing concern without coming off as a jerk.  However, it says a lot about her character in that she was to concede and admit that she shouldn't have worried.  Confidence and assertiveness can often step into the territory of arrogance, but to show confidence yet also humility when proven wrong is an admirable thing IMO.  The season's young though, we'll see how she is as the season progresses.

• Love 1

What an odd reaction. Firstly, Top Chef isn't the city of Boston, you know.  I am pretty sure that the city of Boston didn't ask Top Chef to create a challenge honoring the police and firefighters.  Secondly, yes, they did their job.  They did it well.  There's something wrong in celebrating people who put their lives in danger for doing their job well?  Thirdly, "treated like a master race" because they had one celebratory dinner on Top Chef? I don't really think that the problem is with Boston in this case.

I was here that day and the week after.  I know a victim who, thankfully, did not lose her life or any limbs but went through a number of surgeries. I was in lockdown, the whole nine yards.  It was traumatic, and in a lot of ways the city is still recovering.  Just like, 13 years later, New York is still processing 9/11 and 9 years later, New Orleans is still processing Hurricane Katrina.  Not sure why Boston should be singled out for oh-my-God, celebrating the people who kept as both safe and free from panic during a very difficult time.

Agreed on all counts, archer1267.

Like I said, a month's worth of back pats are in order, but the "Boston Strong" thing can go away any time now.  I get that it was traumatic, which is one reason I find this gleeful hero-worship of police and firefighters to be a little disturbing.  Seems like the focus on heroes is not where it should be. And again, they were just doing their jobs.   I am sorry you had a hard time, but the media has spent well over a year on this Boston thing and now Top Chef has joined in.  I know Boston did not ask TC to do this, but because it has been overdone, it has switched from something that made sense for a few weeks to something that has now become overblown.  I simply find the thing the U.S. does where we worship people wearing authoritarian-style uniforms to be a little fascist.  It rubs me personally the wrong way and I do not feel bad about saying so.    

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw Vanilla Ice!

What in the world could they do to get ready ahead of time?  No one had any idea what would be in the baskets.  They could have talked about their strengths and what the fire fighters were likely to enjoy.  Then go to bed.

But the last team really was at a disadvantage.  They got stuck with whatever was left, and they had to stew around for a couple of hours before they even got to see what they would be working with.

RealityGal:

Based on the two challenges they had, she was right.  She had won one challenge and I feel was in the top on the other challenge.  Both of her teammates were in the bottom.

One quibble--based on only one of the two challenges they had had, she had reason to be concerned. In the second, more recent challenge (the Todd English quickfire), both she and Broccoli were in the middle, and Katsuji was in the top two.

• Love 1

RealityGal:

One quibble--based on only one of the two challenges they had had, she had reason to be concerned. In the second, more recent challenge (the Todd English quickfire), both she and Broccoli were in the middle, and Katsuji was in the top two.

It was in part because Broccoli (love that, thanks!) and Katsuji were in the bottom but I think she is going to take care of herself all the way through no matter what.  And that is the right thing to do.  When numbers get down they all see where the talent is and can relax in team challenges if paired with ones they trust.  We have seen this in past seasons..  Mei is not the first to be assertive in a team, all the winners have been.  I say, good for you!  Now go win this!  I like her.  

• Love 2

I don't dislike her either.  I haven't liked portions of her behavior in this episode, but there hasn't been enough show yet for me to make up my mind about whether I'll like, dislike or not care about her.  I do think she's likely a very good chef--a shrewd good chef can win this whole thing; an arrogant good chef can shoot herself in the foot very very easily.

• Love 1

I did not think that the team who got to pick last were at that big of a disadvantage.  All the baskets looked like a pretty reasonable bunch of proteins and vegetables with some extra stuff.  Any chef worth their salt should be able to make a decent dish with chicken and corn.  Kerriann is probably a good chef, but clearly not a great chef who can identify corn that is too starchy and adjust the dish to accommodate that.  If she survives for much longer, it will be because some other chef was a little worse than her on that challenge.  

And though Aaron is a douche, I think that Kerriann was overselling herself a bit when she said she went to pastry school and that is why she refused to talk to Aaron about his hypotheticals.  I think Aaron was going about it the wrong way, but it seemed he was trying to just get a general idea of what Kerriann excelled at when it came to making desserts.   My guess is that Kerriann was avoiding the subject because she is not a good pastry chef and she knows it.  After her bragging about getting the award of World's Greatest Young Chef (seems like something that belongs on a t-shirt or a coffee mug), coupled with her talking about having gone to pastry school, it just feels like Kerriann is a bit more of a resume padder than an actual top chef.  

• Love 2

I don't dislike her either.  I haven't liked portions of her behavior in this episode, but there hasn't been enough show yet for me to make up my mind about whether I'll like, dislike or not care about her.  I do think she's likely a very good chef--a shrewd good chef can win this whole thing; an arrogant good chef can shoot herself in the foot very very easily.

Oh I don't know about that. Marcel, Tiffany and Stephan are successful!   Even the pissy little wine sommelier got some action from his exposure.   

ETA:  I came to like all of them but on their seasons they were arrogant. 

Edited by wings707

Kerriann might have saved herself from ridicule if she'd made corn pudding. Being a pastry/dessert chef and all. It's fluffy, sweet and would be a great side with a nice spicy roasted chicken. It's not hard to make and people who aren't used to having it usually seem to enjoy it. If you've never had it, think of a corny kerneled souffle.

• Love 6

And though Aaron is a douche, I think that Kerriann was overselling herself a bit when she said she went to pastry school and that is why she refused to talk to Aaron about his hypotheticals.  I think Aaron was going about it the wrong way, but it seemed he was trying to just get a general idea of what Kerriann excelled at when it came to making desserts.   My guess is that Kerriann was avoiding the subject because she is not a good pastry chef and she knows it.  After her bragging about getting the award of World's Greatest Young Chef (seems like something that belongs on a t-shirt or a coffee mug), coupled with her talking about having gone to pastry school, it just feels like Kerriann is a bit more of a resume padder than an actual top chef.  

I agree.  I understand not wanting to commit to making an exact dessert, but she should have been able to come up with something to say.  I do think Aaron was trying to get her to commit to something so he could blame her later if something failed.  I mean, as the last course it would make sense for them to get a dessert basket, and I think he was trying to find a way to put her in charge of dessert so that if they got dessert and it failed she would be the one going to slaughter.  However, if she has advertised having gone to pastry school, she is already going to be expected to take charge if they get a dessert basket, so no matter what if they had to do dessert and it failed both members of her team would be able to say "but we relied on her expertise because she went to pastry school!"  Beyond that, I don't think speculation should have been that big of a deal, because it was something she should have been thinking about.  I don't think there would have been any harm in just saying "well, if we get a basket with x, y, and z (don't let Aaron choose the hypothetical ingredients, because he will skew towards molecular gastronomy) I think we could make this, because I made this in school and it was delicious!"  and then stop talking after that, because x,y, and z ingredients are basic dessert ingredients and nothing else Aaron tries to bait you into a conversation with would ever be found in a typical basket.

• Love 2

wings--I think we're referencing different things.  I wrote that an arrogant chef can shoot herself in the foot immediately after stating that a shrewd good chef can "win this thing."  I am speaking specifically to success in this competition, not success outside of it.  Spectacularly successful chefs can be some of the most arrogant human beings on the planet (though it's not a requirement--not all rectangles are squares, and I've known many chefs who are lovely, humble human beings).  

There have also been a few openly arrogant chefs who've gone all the way on Top Chef (Hung, my love, I'm looking at you), so I'm not saying it can't be done.  I don't think your examples contradict my point--Stephan, Marcel and Tiffani (I assume you meant Faison, because Tiffany Derry never struck me as all that arrogant) all lost.  Anyway, I feel like this is a rabbit hole.  People are complicated.  Many of the best leaders have supreme confidence.  Confident people express that confidence inconsistently and in different ways, both pleasant and unpleasant, effectively and ineffectively.  My point has only ever been that, based solely on the attitude displayed on this episode, I was concerned that Mei could be a bit up her own ass to her own detriment.  Her food has looked good to excellent so far, and as a fan of good food, I'd like her to stick around and not piss me off while she does. Fingers crossed.

Aaron is starting to sound more and more like a plant to me. Put on the show for the sole purpose of creating drama, with no chance of winning.

Top Chef has its problems, but that's usually not one of them.

My notion is that he's a... self-plant. Someone who decided along the way he'd make himself famous by acting like a mega-douche once he got on. The show won't deliberately cast those people, from what I've seen (unlike, lets say... Survivor or The Bachelor... who do), but they're 100% perfectly happy to prominently feature them once they're on and acting like that. 

• Love 3

wings--I think we're referencing different things.  I wrote that an arrogant chef can shoot herself in the foot immediately after stating that a shrewd good chef can "win this thing."  I am speaking specifically to success in this competition, not success outside of it.  Spectacularly successful chefs can be some of the most arrogant human beings on the planet (though it's not a requirement--not all rectangles are squares, and I've known many chefs who are lovely, humble human beings).  

There have also been a few openly arrogant chefs who've gone all the way on Top Chef (Hung, my love, I'm looking at you), so I'm not saying it can't be done.  I don't think your examples contradict my point--Stephan, Marcel and Tiffani (I assume you meant Faison, because Tiffany Derry never struck me as all that arrogant) all lost.  Anyway, I feel like this is a rabbit hole.  People are complicated.  Many of the best leaders have supreme confidence.  Confident people express that confidence inconsistently and in different ways, both pleasant and unpleasant, effectively and ineffectively.  My point has only ever been that, based solely on the attitude displayed on this episode, I was concerned that Mei could be a bit up her own ass to her own detriment.  Her food has looked good to excellent so far, and as a fan of good food, I'd like her to stick around and not piss me off while she does. Fingers crossed.

I was speaking of the competition too.  All I mentioned made to to F3 and I consider that a success within the competition.  They judge the food and not the personality, clearly,  so arrogance only serves to alienate fellow competitors and piss off viewers! 

Like I said, a month's worth of back pats are in order, but the "Boston Strong" thing can go away any time now.  I get that it was traumatic, which is one reason I find this gleeful hero-worship of police and firefighters to be a little disturbing.  Seems like the focus on heroes is not where it should be. And again, they were just doing their jobs.   I am sorry you had a hard time, but the media has spent well over a year on this Boston thing and now Top Chef has joined in.  I know Boston did not ask TC to do this, but because it has been overdone, it has switched from something that made sense for a few weeks to something that has now become overblown.  I simply find the thing the U.S. does where we worship people wearing authoritarian-style uniforms to be a little fascist.  It rubs me personally the wrong way and I do not feel bad about saying so.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Lily, most of the comments on Boston-area message boards about this episode were harrumphs about whether the cops got their overtime pay for getting a free meal, so there's hardly any police idolatry going on here.  I didn't see this challenge as gleeful hero worship any more than the chefs last season acknowledging the Habitat for Humanity workers for the great work they're doing, or the S3 challenge around preparing a meal for cops, or the S2 challenge in a firehouse. (And those are just the ones on top of my head.) 

• Love 1

I was speaking of the competition too.  All I mentioned made to to F3 and I consider that a success within the competition.

I took the following (i.e., "action", "exposure", the present tense "are") to mean success outside of the show:

Marcel, Tiffany and Stephan are successful!   Even the pissy little wine sommelier got some action from his exposure.

I won't apologize for misunderstanding, because I think that would come off as snarky, and, well, it would be snarky.  I'm pretty comfortable I've been consistent about what my opinion is and what it refers to.  I think I've got some sense of what you're trying to say.  I don't think we agree, but that's ok.  I guess I don't care enough about Mei to talk about her anymore until I've seen more.

Swayze, on the other hand.  SWAAAAAAYZE!!!!!!

Edited by some1105

What has happened to Todd English? I can tell he's gained some weight, but his face looks weird. He used to be so handsome.

His face had a waxy, botoxy look to me!

What the hell is he hiding under there????  He wears it with the same passion that Brett Michaels wears those bandanas.  Whats under that hat?  a monkey playing the ukulele?  A rabbit?  A bald spot?  A flower pot?  Whats under there????

My money is on a bald spot, or horns, or both!

That's interesting -- isn't she kinda young to already have had four different jobs?  It makes me wonder.

It is possible that she was doing a "Stage" at these restaurants - it is kind of like a chef internship! 

Hiding his horns? :)

It kind of feels like a reality TV machine created him and when the season is over Andy Cohen will reprogram him as a real estate expert and send him off on another adventure.

That's why I said he seemed like a plant, to me. At least someone else out there in reality TV-watching land also sees what I see. I'm sure he's a chef, somewhere, but not quite up to TC standards except in the arena of ramping up the drama and doing whatever production asks him to do in order to stay just one more week.

Hiding his horns? :)

That's why I said he seemed like a plant, to me. At least someone else out there in reality TV-watching land also sees what I see. I'm sure he's a chef, somewhere, but not quite up to TC standards except in the arena of ramping up the drama and doing whatever production asks him to do in order to stay just one more week.

I like to think this show is above planting contestants for drama.  Maybe planting is not the right word.  I would say leaping to cast a dramatic monkey when they see one no matter what his experience is?  I want to think he applied and was not recruited The judges weed out lack of skill swiftly and I expect to see him go soon.  

As a woman, I don't hate Mei. But I do think she is arrogant in the extreme. My best friend for many years is Asian. We've worked with eachother at 2 different companies. She does tend to wear business dress even though the standards were casual dress and casual as all heck. She does work her butt off and does speak her mind. She is well respected within our industry. And for good reason. However, I've never heard her speak with arrogance. Not once in the 10 years I've known her as a co-worker or friend. So I understand that women of certain cultural backgrounds should assert themselves in various ways. But what I saw from Mei was arrogance and disdain for others she thought below her. Rudeness is uncalled for.

I think Mei learned that arrogant attitude from MVolt as well. Cooking isn't the only thing he taught her because MVolt had that attitude as well when he was paired with certain chefs and his horrible comments saying, "he cooks a dish like that at home" when a chef was making his dish, I think it was Kevin's during that season.

• Love 1

I don't think I've seen enough of her to think she's unusually arrogant. What I saw was an aggressive young woman who was clearly coached in the potential pitfalls of team challenges by someone who never tried to hide his own aggression (and won). Presumably if she was Kristen's protege, she'd have been schooled about staying under the radar.

Some of the response to her seems a bit gendered. JMO.

• Love 5

Kerriann might have saved herself from ridicule if she'd made corn pudding. Being a pastry/dessert chef and all. It's fluffy, sweet and would be a great side with a nice spicy roasted chicken. It's not hard to make and people who aren't used to having it usually seem to enjoy it. If you've never had it, think of a corny kerneled souffle.

What a great idea, cooksdelight!  Have you considered competing on the show?

Serving corn pudding in Boston would be seen as a cliche or cop out.  That is a standard side dish in many restaurants there.

Really? I had no idea, I thought it was a southern thing. I've heard of Indian pudding served up north, which incorporates corn meal.

Really? I had no idea, I thought it was a southern thing. I've heard of Indian pudding served up north, which incorporates corn meal.

I have never seen Indian pudding on any Boston menu; I know about it though.  Not saying it isn't there, though.  I lived in Boston for years and later in rural MA.  Corn pudding is common in New England.  I never knew it was considered Southern!     Corn bread, corn cakes and corn chowder abound, the pilgrims ate corn like crazy people, apparently.   ;>)

Everything is pretty much everywhere now.  I often chuckle when TV chefs say, "I am from Texas so I know about BBQ."  Don't they know that BBQ is in every state including Alaska?  And so is fried chicken, southerners.  

• Love 1

Maybe I just don't go to the right nice restaurants, but I've neither corn NOR Indian pudding on ANY menus in New England.

I'm reserving judgment on Mei. I think she was overboard, but I also can't blame her based on the performance of her teammates in the first episode.  Only time will tell if she's a micromanager or just nervous until she gets her bearings.

• Love 1

I have never seen Indian pudding on any Boston menu; I know about it though.  Not saying it isn't there, though.  I lived in Boston for years and later in rural MA.  Corn pudding is common in New England.  I never knew it was considered Southern!     Corn bread, corn cakes and corn chowder abound, the pilgrims ate corn like crazy people, apparently.   ;>)

I am a born and bred Yankee from Massachusetts and I have never seen "corn pudding" on a menu here.  Corn bread? Yes, that is extremely common. Corn as a side? Also, yes. But I am not even sure I know what corn pudding is, let alone see it on a lot of menus. I obviously could be going to the wrong restaurants, but I've been to a lot of different restaurants in Boston

Indian pudding (which is a dessert) is something that is common in restaurants that serve traditional New England fare.  It is less common in more modern restaurants, which is too bad because I'd for it to make a comeback.

I rewatched the episode this morning, and I was struck again how unpleasant I found Keri Ann.  Aaron was maybe pushing it too much with their pre-challenge conversation, but he was just asking her for ideas and she was literally offering nothing.  And then as soon as he brought up gelatin, she got on her high horse about "not doing molecular," but he wasn't suggesting molecular.  He was just saying, "if there's gelatin in there, what do you think?"  Plus, I really dislike how condescending she was to both Aaron and Stacy after they got torn apart.  That being said, I do think Aaron absolutely threw her under the bus when Tom asked about how they worked.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 1

According to the info in the About section, he's the executive chef.  Which doesn't make me like him any better.  He must be charming to work with or for.

Ahhhhh, I did shoddy research!  Thanks.  

My reaction wasn't as strong but there's a point where I get tired of reality competition shows almost fetishing cops and firefighters. It seems like *every* cooking show has to have the obligatory "Bravest and Finest". Its certainly not just Top Chef but after a while it comes off as cloying and production "ringing the bell" - they're in Boston so it's obligatory.

• Love 2