Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

Woo!  This makes two days in a row that Riley has been acting 99% normally (and the one percent is me supplementing her food/pampering her with it because I want to wean her back into our regular routine rather than just saying, "You're good now; go eat" and risk a setback).  That makes almost two weeks of steady improvement, with no setbacks - by far the longest we've had a constant upward trajectory since this all started - and these final normal behaviors that have returned in the last two days are things I haven't seen in two months.  I don't know what the hell was wrong with her, but she seems to have come through it.

Here she is ignoring my foxtail warning - I was out in the unfinished area of the yard, which is filled with foxtails, and tracked a bunch of them inside as I came through the door.  As I went to get the vacuum, she ambled in, thought, "Oh, sunshine!" and plopped down.  So I had to shoo her away, check her thoroughly (those things can do MAJOR harm to animals), and then clean up her morning sun spot.  (And, yes, that's bird shit on the outside of my door; the mockingbirds have strange aim and I have to clean it weekly in summer; I haven't gotten to it this week.)

Riley sunning herselfa.jpg

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11

@bilgistic - I was perusing a local publication?  magazine? that comes in the mail - the type that covers new businesses, some upcoming local events, and mostly allows local businesses to advertise to potential customers.  I noticed an ad in it that offered various pet related services - pet sitting, supply shopping, mid-day walks, pet taxi and medication administration.  Perhaps there is a similar pet service in your area that would also provide medication administration if the fluids process continues to be a challenge.

Edited by DeLurker
I really do know the diff between male and mail.
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

@bilgistic - I was perusing a local publication?  magazine? that comes in the male - the type that covers new businesses, some upcoming local events, and mostly allows local businesses to advertise to potential customers.  I noticed an ad in it that offered various pet related services - pet sitting, supply shopping, mid-day walks, pet taxi and medication administration.  Perhaps there is a similar pet service in your area that would also provide medication administration if the fluids process continues to be a challenge.

@bilgistic Because I love Googling random stuff, @DeLurker's post inspired me to look up cat care services in Charlotte, NC (I think I read that's where you live)  and found this : http://charlottecatsitting.com/cms/cat-care-rates/#.WZ7d--mQwdU

It appears they will administer fluids for $8 but I'm thinking that that price is only included if you hire them for sitting services. Doesn't hurt to ask though. They seem pretty pricey ($28 to pet-sit a cat for a half-hour...WTF).  But hey....their website says they are  hiring, so maybe that would be something to look into while you are in between jobs LOL!

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 4

I use a local pet service to help with my kitties. They're great. I can travel without worries. They come to administer their flea medicine every month (girl will cut a ...) Then because baby boy is so big she'll take us to the vet as necessary (she can lift the dead weight) and taking the time, driving us all, and returning us home is $30. The flea med thing is $20/mth (some of that's a tip). Compared to the 2 antibiotics and infections from bites, tears and scratches I have received from the little girl I consider it a bargain. The Care person (J)  had to begin toweling/swaddling her up and using welding gloves but now J can do it bare handed with only moderate protest. Yes, please do look into options in your area. The ppl in my area are gems. 

My areas going rate is 15/half hour to feed or pet sit. (Bringing in the mail, litter box cleaning and watering plants is included)  Same for dog walking. That seems like a lot for the Charlotte area but as @AgentRXS stated maybe you can work a deal with them. I don't think loving our fur babies would be a stressful job. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

@bilgistic Because I love Googling random stuff, @DeLurker's post inspired me to look up cat care services in Charlotte, NC (I think I read that's where you live)  and found this : http://charlottecatsitting.com/cms/cat-care-rates/#.WZ7d--mQwdU

It appears they will administer fluids for $8 but I'm thinking that that price is only included if you hire them for sitting services. Doesn't hurt to ask though. They seem pretty pricey ($28 to pet-sit a cat for a half-hour...WTF).  But hey....their website says they are  hiring, so maybe that would be something to look into while you are in between jobs LOL!

$28 is pretty crazy expensive. My old pet sitter charged $15/visit for both kitties when I had two. I might still call them, though, because so few services will do fluids. Thanks for the link!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5

Please keep the abandoned and stray animals in the Gulf Coast region in your thoughts and prayers during Harvey. Texas has a law making restraining your pets during extreme weather an offense (yay..a good law). I've read quotes from several sheriffs in south Texas that they will prosecute to the fullest extent to uphold this law when people leave their homes but dogs are tied up to porches and trees. Many shelters and rescue groups are ready to help and their resources will be maxed out. If you desire to help, please watch the news and donate, even a few bucks. I know that the Humane Society in Ft Worth and the SPCA of Texas in Dallas , among others, are at the ready.  Thanks for listening! I can't imagine not taking my dog with me. No way. 

Sorry to be a broken record, but the SPCA has already received many if not all of the 130 cats from the Cattery rescue in south Texas. They are doing well. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/spcaoftexas?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

i am a dog person but can't stand to see any animal suffer. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 8

There is some horrible stuff happening in a number of shelters in the hurricane's path and surrounding areas that I don't want to repeat, but there are also shelter workers (which sometimes means one person for an entire county) doing the very best they can with about two dimes to rub together and not much more in the way of supplies.  There are also rescue organizations and other volunteers banding together to get as many out as they can. 

Chewy.com is working through its Dallas warehouse to get food and supplies to rescues and is even providing rescue referrals to people calling their customer service line asking how they can help.

Wings of Rescue is working with HSUS and various local responders; they have planes standing by in El Paso full of crates and supplies to drop off - and will pick up unclaimed animals who were already at the shelters and relocate them to a network of no-kill shelters throughout the U.S. for adoption.  That way the local shelters have more room for the animals that will be coming in during/after the storm, and those animals will remain local for their owners to find them.  (Some shelters are euthanizing the pets that have been sitting there unclaimed in order to make room for the influx, so this is an important service.)

This Facebook Group is where a number of small, local organizations and people are connecting to coordinate and provide help; you can read along to see who's doing what and maybe jot down some organizations you'd like to donate to.

• Love 11

I was just successful getting nearly 100 ccs of subcutaneous fluid into Bilgisticat!!

We sat on the bed and I put my legs around him. He cried out when I punctured him with the needle, which I'd kept in the freezer, so I don't know how else to keep that from being traumatic. I pretend to cough when I stick him to distract him, but that doesn't work, either. I used the 21g Terumo UTW needle.

He wasn't happy with me but complied. I've got him on 'round-the-clock pain meds, so he's not very fast. He eventually got pissed enough that he moved forward, which pulled the needle out, and I didn't restrain him.

Afterward, I gave him his new favorite treat (junky, but he loves it and it's moisture) in the same spot, next to the makeshift apparatus I am using as an IV stand (a CD tower atop a wooden wine crate). Much praise was heaped upon him.

I don't see the fluid bubble yet, but he won't really let me mess with him...but he's laying on me. He's very forgiving. :) I hope I can keep doing it, because he badly needs fluids and they will prolong his life while keeping him feeling better.

When he feels good and is eating well, he's my little kitten again, rolling on his back to show his belly and being a little ham.

Keep your fingers and paws crossed that we can keep the fluids going!

• Love 15

Kokuma has been cooped up since Saturday - minimal outdoor time and walks because of the weather.  Saturday he was fine with it as he is not a big fan of water, by Sunday his need to go out and about overtook his distaste for water.  Sadly, having no one willing to take him out for just the sake of being out when we are having a tropical storm was a big bummer for him.  And for the cat too since he kept trying to chase Sir Robin.

I saw a strange dog off-leash when I took him out this morning.  He looked well cared for, had a collar and tag so I figured he just got loose somehow.  I took the Kook in and armed with a leash and a couple of milkbones went and got him.  I had to tether him to a shelf in the garage with the garage door opened so he would have some place dry to hang out while I called the number on the tag.  He's back where he should be now - the owner is actually on vacation and a family member was watching him (at the family member's house up the street).  Between the weather over the last few days and an unfamiliar yard, he was skittish and got loose.  The poor owner was so stressed when he got my voicemail because there's nothing he could do from so far away. But we have a happy ending so that is what counts.

• Love 15

I have to brag! I just got about 125 ml of subq fluids into Bilgisticat! He was actually quite interested when I brought the bag to the bedroom. He's not on pain meds right now because he's feeling so much better from the fluids on Sunday.

I sat with him without any restraint and opened his squeezy treat packet and squirted it onto my leg. I guess I could've used a plate, but eh. He was slurping up the treat as I inserted the needle, which he didn't even notice! I gave him two more squeezy treat packets for the duration of the transfusion. I can't believe how well it went! That stuff is a godsend.

I made sure he saw the line right after we stopped so he knows that what we're doing equals treats time with mom with lots of praise.

Paws crossed that this keeps going well! It has helped him so much.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 14

Fantastic! 

I could only give Maddie about 75 mL at a time; she didn't have a heart problem (for those unfamiliar with the wonderful world of fluid therapy, heart conditions may necessitate caution with the amount and frequency of fluid administration), wasn't getting over-hydrated and having too many nutrients flushed out or her kidneys over-worked, or any of the usual suspects when it comes to potential drawbacks, but when I gave her 100 mL, she seemed uncomfortable afterward.  For just a short while, so I think it was the fluid bubble itself on her small frame.  I decreased the amount, and she was fine.

Sorry; random reminiscence on Maddie's bouts with pancreatitis (she never needed fluids for her CKD - thankfully, she was among the lucky ones for whom diet was enough to keep it from progressing [she was at stage two, dropped down to stage one, and stayed there] - so I didn't have to do it routinely, just when she was battling pancreatitis).  Getting back to the point, isn't it fabulous how much better they can feel with fluids?  I'm glad he's feeling better since Sunday's administration, and that today's went so well.  If he continues to take it like a champ, and you only have to do it every few days, that's a significant improvement for him with minimal fuss for either of you.  Great news!

(And treats taste better off Mom than a plate - at least according to Maddie and Riley.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

something I thought worth sharing:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Oakland-dog-once-slated-for-euthanasia-now-12159662.php

what a good (and very attractive) dog!

Seriously? Being high energy and obsessive gets you on the kill list these days? They didn't even look for someone who wanted those qualities in a dog. Quite a few people with an active lifestyle want high-energy dogs who can keep up.

Shelter officials deemed him too energetic and obsessive to be suitable for adoption. But, as Denise Sanders of the National Disaster Search Dog Foundation (SDF) says, "One man's trash is another man's treasure." She says energetic and obsessive behaviors are just the qualities desired in search-and-rescue dogs. SDF adopted Rocket and began training immediately.

And he obviously took to it like a champ.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, riley702 said:

Seriously? Being high energy and obsessive gets you on the kill list these days? They didn't even look for someone who wanted those qualities in a dog. Quite a few people with an active lifestyle want high-energy dogs who can keep up.

And he obviously took to it like a champ.

Not defending that shelter by any means, but super hyper dogs tend to go stir crazy being kenneled in a shelter environment;sometimes that misplaced energy turns to aggression. The article says he has a high toy drive; that likely made the shelter kennel him by himself so he doesn't fight another dog over resources. If they can't share a kennel with another dog, it decreases their chances to be put up for adoption, as the shelter is always in need of space. Its so sad because I've seen some of the sweetest dogs ever completely turn aggressive due to being kenneled in the shelter for too long. Also, hyper dogs tend not to "show" well in meet and greets as their over-enthusiasm of being  outside of the kennel can sometimes be overbearing and a turn-off for some people

I am so happy Rocket got saved, and now has a "job" saving others. What a wonderful story.

• Love 9

Does anyone have personal recommendations for airline approved cat carriers? I've been scouring Amazon and the one I settled on, with 3k positive reviews has just enough reviews of cats chewing through the mesh to make me nervous.

• Love 1

It seems that one of my neighbors has just gotten a dog. For the past few days, I've been hearing whining around the clock and no one attending to it, and that really pisses me off. Seeing the lengths that people are going to to save animals stranded by the hurricane in Texas, coupled with my efforts to keep my cat as pain-free and happy as possible when I know we don't have much time left, I have less than zero patience with assholes that neglect and/or mistreat animals.

• Love 8

Bilgisticat and I just had another happy, uneventful subcutaneous fluids session. I got about 100 ml in him. That seems to be the right amount for him. I never cease to be amazed at his fighting spirit and resilience. We did fluids on Thursday and it went great then, too.

When I brought the fluids bag into the bedroom today, he walked across the bed to me! He's associating the fluids with treat time. I'm just so glad it's going well. This is a complete 180 for this cat. The vet couldn't even give him fluids last week.

I've got him on buprenex (kitty opiate) twice a day now. He just seems happier/more at ease on it. It's a low dose, and doesn't make him druggy. His conditions are very painful, and cats mask a lot of their pain.

The vet and I agreed last week to increase the steroid and anti-nausea med, so he's been eating well as a side effect of that. I know I don't have a long time left with him, and he has (sometimes really) good days and not-good days, but I'm doing all I can for him. At some point, there will be no more med increasing that can be done.

I'm trying to take things daily and be glad I have time to devote to him right now while I am on hiatus and detoxing from my former life.

• Love 13

Bilgistic  That's a wonderful report and things are sounding encouraging. Kudos to you for figuring out the fluids situation and making it as least stressful as possible. Fingers crossed that things continue to be positive. 

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

And you know, with the steroids, he'll probably hit more home runs now!

Is it wrong that I think we should keep the st***** thing to ourselves so there won't be an asterisk next to the Bilgisticat record?  I mean with him being such a fan favorite and all I think it might hurt the game otherwise.:)

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4

I'm so happy to hear that things are going well bilgistic! Wishing you continued success!

I have been out of contact here for quite some time. I am going to have to keep better track of my passwords in the future!

Hi everyone! *waves sheepishly*

• Love 6

Ugh. UGH! Y'all, why are people so clueless?

My mother texted my sister and me earlier asking how we're doing. I told her I'd just finished giving Bilgisticat his fluids.

I continued with, "I don't know how much longer I have with him. His diseases are just catching up with him. He's so little and fighting so hard. I've got him on pain meds and increased steroids for the IBD and pancreatitis. Increased anti-nausea meds, too. There will be a point where no more increasing can be done. He still has more good days than not good, and is a happy, sweet boy. I'm doing all I can for him."

She replied, "Just don't hold on to him if he is suffering. I know you love him, and that is one way to show it."

UGH. No shit, Mom.

I said to her, "I know you don't mean to be hurtful, but what you said was upsetting. I've seen him through several medical conditions throughout his life. I've taken care of him through the past 1.5 years unsure if he would make it though each day. I am well aware that he doesn't have much time left. I'm preparing for that. No one knows him better than I do. Vets have given up on him but I've helped him thrive. He's winding down, and he'll let me know when it's time, just like I knew with [late female cat's name]."

She replied, "I did not mean to be hurtful. I know how much you love him and how you have struggled to keep him healthy. I am sorry if it sounded hurtful or mean. That was not my intention."

So maybe don't say shitty things in the first place? I've been looking up home euthanasia and pet cremation so I can be "ready", as if I'll ever be, but please, give me your opinion on what I should do with your zero experience.

I guess I won't bother giving her updates about him anymore. UGH!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bosawks said:

I hope everyone enjoyed their summer as much as Alli!

I'm not sure anyone enjoyed their summer as much as Alli!

@bilgistic I don't know you or your mother so take this FWIW - she may have been trying to be kind in her way and when you told her it was hurtful she apologized it a way that seems nice to me.   It didn't sound like she was questioning your love or dedication.  My mother was someone who didn't share my love of pets but tried to understand why I felt the way I did and sometimes things weren't articulated in the best way but I knew she cared about how I felt.  It's also difficult to gauge sympathy in a text.

Of course if your mother normally just thinks you're an idiot than ignore the above paragraph!  It's good to hear that Bilgisticat has more good than bad days.

• Love 10

I'm sorry @bilgistic.  As hard as all of this is on you, I'm confident that you'll always weigh what is in Bilgisticat's best interest above your own.  I'm so happy for you both that you've developed a routine for administering the fluids that doesn't leave you both stressed to the max.

• Love 3

I just wanted to tell you all how much I appreciate your love of your pets and your support of each other going through pet health issues.

I have had pets all of my life and have been surrounded by animal people who understand. In the last few years I have encountered people who have never had a pet and really don't like animals much at all. I'm having a really hard time understanding them (and them me, I'm sure!). But if I overhear another person say. "its just a cat/dog/rabbit/etc, who cares?" I may say something i regret!

So...than you everyone! :) 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, shanndee said:

But if I overhear another person say. "its just a cat/dog/rabbit/etc, who cares?"

I'd guess that these are people who have never had a true bond with a pet so they just don't "get" how rewarding that can be.  I figure it was like me with babies/small children - I never felt comfortable around them, tended to remember the more unpleasant ones and and having one of my own wasn't a high priority.  When my oldest brother and his wife had a baby, I got to spend more time around her and gradually found out that I was pretty good with them.  Truth is, I began to like them more than adults.

The "who cares?" is just rude though.

Our blazing hot and humid weather has given us a break for a few days so it is 70* with low humidity right now.  Kook is loving the cooler weather - he is prancing about the backyard and just generally being very puppyish and playful.  I got him in when he started barking and he immediately raced up the stairs and down again looking for the cat to harass.  Another trip to the dog park is in order this morning in hopes that his new buddy he met yesterday, Charlie, is there too. 

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, DeLurker said:

The "who cares?" is just rude though.

Exactly; one shouldn't have to personally "get" a bond to understand that one exists - I can't stand being around children, but I don't have trouble grasping the fact that parents love theirs very much - but even where one truly is baffled that someone cares so much about a living creature, keep the "It's just a pet; who cares?" thoughts unvoiced.

As an analogy, I am afraid of snakes (for no legitimate reason, but phobias are by definition irrational).  Like with children, I don't hate snakes or want bad things to happen to them, but I don't like them and do not want to be around them.  I have never and will never experience a loving bond with a snake.  But when I recently watched a vet show and saw a woman deeply distraught because her snake had been injured and she feared the worst, I didn't say, "It's just a snake; who cares?"  She cares, obviously. 

Shifting gears, this morning was one of those times where Riley's actions were so perfectly timed with my words, it looked for all the world like we were having a conversation:

Me, arriving with supplies for breakfast in bed: Ready for breakfast?
Riley: [rises, stretches, and moves into position]
Me: Do you know how lucky you are?
Riley: [shakes head]
Me, as I'm tearing up the chicken breast I poached last night to add to her food to entice her to eat a decent meal: Well, let me tell you a story.  There are kitties all over the land who have to get up and walk to a bowl to get their breakfast.
Riley: [cocks head at me]
Me: And when they get there, it's all cat food; there's no people food.
Riley: [meows with her mouth closed, so it sounds kind of like a whimper]
Me: I know; the horror.

The shaming worked, though; she ate all her food with only a little bit of chicken needed. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Me, arriving with supplies for breakfast in bed: Ready for breakfast?
Riley: [rises, stretches, and moves into position]
Me: Do you know how lucky you are?
Riley: [shakes head]
Me, as I'm tearing up the chicken breast I poached last night to add to her food to entice her to eat a decent meal: Well, let me tell you a story.  There are kitties all over the land who have to get up and walk to a bowl to get their breakfast.
Riley: [cocks head at me]
Me: And when they get there, it's all cat food; there's no people food.
Riley: [meows with her mouth closed, so it sounds kind of like a whimper]
Me: I know; the horror.

The shaming worked, though; she ate all her food with only a little bit of chicken needed. 

That is the cutest story. Kittythinkrs are very jealous! 

• Love 2

Half of the time, Bilgisticat insists on being carried from the bedroom to his bowl in the kitchen. He puts his front paws up on my chest and waits for me to pick him up. Sometimes he jumps up on my chest and shoulder from the bed. I have no idea how he got so spoiled. No idea at all.IMG_20170907_154802_crop_756x933-718x886.thumb.jpg.15c6021ab2f1c16e0636402ee402327a.jpg

• Love 13