Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: I Feel Sorry For Me

Cranberry

Can someone clear up the timeline for me? 

Didn't Juliette say that she could hide her bump because she would be filming for X amount of weeks and then touring X amount of weeks? Or maybe it was touring first and then filming? So why is she filming next week, i.e not on tour, yet Zoey is leaving to go on tour with her right after her going away party?

Edited by butterflyeludesme
  • Love 3

There were moments I really liked in this episode. Scarlett's WTF face when Zoey said she'd been going through Gunner's phone. Deacon and Pam getting abandoned at the gas station and Sadie and Rayna singing while Jeff seethed backstage.

That said, never again do I want to see the outline of Jeff's meat package. Someone said dicktamized in the last ep's thread and that's how I felt. 

How could Teddy agree to sign the girls up for Edgehill without even saying ANYTHING to Rayna? That makes absolutely NO sense. I'm sure Maddie will jump at the chance, but everybody (even Luke!!) knows how Rayna feels about the girls being too young for all that. They must be planning to make all this happen while she, Luke and Deacon are still out on tour and "unreachable."

Zoey. Wow. I hope she had ketchup for that crow she had to eat. Gunner is kinda clueless though. Damn. Could y'all have been a little more discreet?

I've over Scarlett's psycho-stage fright. Over it.

Didn't miss Luke! Did anybody? Also didn't miss Layla's crazy ass, but I like Will. I want Brett back!

Pam is growing on me. *shrugs*

I'm also in Camp WTF as far as Rayna's reaction to the paparazzi getaway. Seriously, that truck was close. No way Rayna (in her right mind) would be okay with that.

I loved Glenn sans toupee. I love how concerned he is about Juliette and I'm sooo glad he didn't spill the beans to Avery, because Juliette would have never forgiven him for that. Hayden is awesome in all her scenes and Juliette is still my favorite character.

Avery is an ungrateful asshole for calling her and then going off on her like that. I get his hurt and pain and drunkenness, but that was some cold-hearted shit to say. Combined with the fact that he had already gone off on Gunner and then blamed Scarlett for Juliette's cheating?! He tripping.

Show. How the hell could you have cheated us out of Rayna and Scarlett's talk? WTabsoluteF?!

• Love 1

Best moment of this episode: Glen without the rug.

Also: Avery was not wrong about Scarlett's part in his break up with Juliette.

Can we just skip to the part where Juliette tells Avery she's pregnant already? (Okay, I see here it's going to be next week: *relief*)

I didn't even realise we hadn't seen Will and Layla drama until someone mentioned it up-thread. I'm thinking this should tell the show something. (I actually kind of like Will, if they'd give him a better storyline, like actually dealing with what would happen if he came out. They need to hurry up and get to that.) The episode being Luke-free was like a breath of fresh air.

So we have no idea what advice Rayna gave Juliette about her pregnancy, then? Huh.

"I Feel Sorry For Me" should be the title of the entire show, not just the episode.

Edited by Big Bad Wolf
  • Love 1

BBDI- I think the audience for Nashville is compartmentalized. Unlike a lot of comedies, cop shows, and other popular types of TV, I don't think Nashville has casual fans. Very few of my friends watch it, even musicians. My feeling is most people think of it as a soap opera and never give it a chance. 

Honestly, if I hadn't heard about the quality of music and portrayal of musicians on Nashville, I probably never would have given it a chance, either! So glad that I did. 

But I think it is hard to get people past the idea of a country soap opera, and a lot of people will miss out because of it.

Interesting that you should say that. I had no intentions whatsoever to watch it even though I love Tami Taylor, but while watching Scandal or something on ABC on demand and unable to fast forward, the ads for the first season sucked me in and I was right there for episode 1.

Avery is really taking the self-pity and anger at Juliette WAY too far, given that he was once a cheater himself on more than one occasion. As someone else pointed out he was all up under Scarlett 24/7 and he knew that Juliette had tremendous self-esteem issues and he was her first really healthy romantic relationship or something close to it with a man. Time to stop wallowing now.

If not for the fact that Juliette will be on the tour, too, I would wish for Zoey to go and never ever come back. Maybe she's so insecure about Scarlett because she sneaking around with Gunnar behind her back and even though they'd broken up, she knew she was wrong to hide what was going on. And the feelings were till fresh. She's annoying.

• Love 2

That said, never again do I want to see the outline of Jeff's meat package. Someone said dicktamized in the last ep's thread and that's how I felt. 

Ugh, I had forgotten about that, not something I need to see again either.

• Love 2

Okay, I tried to stick in there. I really did. I'll watch anything Connie Britton's in and I love Charles Esten and Hayden P. is killing it. But I really can't with this show anymore. Think I'll wait for cancellation and hope these people eventually get better jobs. I think the final straw was Jeff Fordham twisting his moustache over Rayna's daughters that did it. Really, show? Really? Just have him tie someone to a railroad track already. I'm out.

• Love 2

Best moment of this episode: Glen without the rug.

Also: Avery was not wrong about Scarlett's part in his break up with Juliette.

My mouth dropped open when Avery screamed that Scarlett was NEEDY! The show made a mistake not showing Scarlett's reaction.

I think there are three possible reasons why we didn't see the scene between Rayna and Juliette. The episode writer did a poor job and no one could figure out how  to do a better one, the episode writer did a poor job and they couldn't be bothered (or didn't have time) to bring in a new writer to clean up the script so they scrapped the scene, or the writer simply didn't write the scene because she couldn't. I just don't see how you leave that scene out.

When do we see Jeff's package? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see it. When I mentioned he was sexy on the golf course, I was actually looking at him from the waist up. I liked him in that gray shirt and gray cap. He's svelte. I'm not sure I would have felt the same way if I'd seen an outline of something below the waist.

Just came to say that Scarlett sucks big time -- I'm soooo sick of her whiny, bitch-face.

Juliette, on the other hand, rocks like no one else in this show.

C'mon Avery -- grow a pair, you little weany!!!  I thought he was so "good" for Juliette, but now ....

• Love 2

Not showing the Juliette/Rayna discussion after the sonogram reveal was a HUGE DRAMATIC FAIL. I don't know, sometimes I just can't with this show. Here they have a golden opportunity to delve deeper into the Rayna/Juliette relationship, and maybe, I don't know, give some more layers to Rayna as they discuss her own Maddie/Deacon situation and they completely ignore it. We've never even learned what Juliette thought of Rayna's decision, just that she was startled by the reveal that Deacon was Maddie's biodad. Once again I had to step in (metaphorically) and fanwank that Juliette never discussed it with Rayna because she had been the child of an addict and assumed that that was Rayna's reasoning for hiding the truth. I fanwanked it because we never had that scene. I am getting damn tired of filling in the gaps on this show.

Pam was dead to me as soon as she slithered into that AA meeting. I consider that despicable, not a "meet cute." I muted every single scene with her and Deacon after that. God I hope this relationship doesn't last long. I even liked the veterinarian better, and I don't like that actress at all (Susan Misner. No idea who plays Pam).

Scarlett loves those vicious little sideswipes. "Why didn't you? (ask me to stay)" she spits out. Oh, maybe because you're a grown-ass woman and you claimed there was nothing for you in Nashville and Zoe was supporting your decision? Just a thought. And BTW, Zoe may have been off-base re: the party, but Scarlett and Gunnar are completely having an emotional affair. So fuck that noise. She's better off without both of them. Vaya con dios, Zoe. I'd care more but the actress, though beautiful, is so blank, there's nothing to root for.

They have to be kidding with this Jeff storyline. There is no way trying to sign Maddie and Daphne is going to end well for him, but of course he can't let Rayna get the best of him, Mr. I-don't-have-a-problem-with-women. Even if he were able to get Teddy to sign off on this without Rayna's approval (as if), the potential blowback on Jeff and Edgehill would be catastrophic. I have wanted to see Rayna and Jeff face off (ew, no hate sex please!) as equals, but trying to snaffle her underage kids - uuggghhhh. And even if he could, can you imagine how he'd want to make over Daphne and Maddie, into little country Bratz Dollzzzzz.

• Love 3

I was confused by the Glen toupee reveal, 3 seasons in to the show.  Were we supposed to know he was wearing one all along?  And there was a previous scene where he was disturbed in the middle of the night and wearing hair  (the one where Juliette was banging on the doors at the hotel of all the crew and gave her "you work for ME, not HIM" speech that led to Glen quitting the first time).  I knew the actor was bald from other photos of him, but the toupee reveal was this weird distraction in an emotional scene.

I think Hayden P has cried in every single episode this season, and I think more than once in most of them.  She is probably completely dehydrated from all the crying.  Juliette really can't catch a break.

The "Avery is a drunk" storyline seems completely false to me.  Both the extreme self-pity and the alcohol abuse don't fit the character whom we've come to know over the past 2 years.

I agree that Pam sneaking into the AA meeting was really low.  Are we supposed to like her?  I don't.

Edited by mikem
  • Love 5

When do we see Jeff's package? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see it. When I mentioned he was sexy on the golf course, I was actually looking at him from the waist up. I liked him in that gray shirt and gray cap. He's svelte. I'm not sure I would have felt the same way if I'd seen an outline of something below the waist.

It was when he was walking on the golf course. I wasn't looking for it, but somehow saw it, & then I couldn't see anything else.

Glenn is bald? Loved him trying to look out for Juliette. Good old Glenn.

Gunnar telling Avery to pull it together and calling him a friend was cute. But Avery's meltdown at the party was a bit much. I'm at the point of thinking he's now overreacting about her one- time drunken cheat.

Scarlett is still struggling, I see. Zoey's party was a big dramatic mess and about everyone BUT Zoey -- happy going away, Zoey!

Jeff and Teddy: that's a whole lot of blandly pretty bitchiness to pack into the same scenes. Jeff is such a snake. Blah.

Seeing Rayna away from Luke - handling her business, being with her girls - was nice. I did love that she chose helping Juliette over trying to get Sadie away from Jeff's label.

Pam might actually be good for old Deacon. Or she could be a total disaster - I guess we'll see!

Gotta say, it all just feels like spinning wheels to me. Pretty people trying to act; not unpleasant to stare at. But no forward momentum in the narrative - just rehashing (or forgetting) characterizations and storylines that seem to meander along pointlessly. Still watching. Hate watching at this point.

• Love 2

WIth you Youngy. Just don't understand what the writers and producers are doing with this show and these characters. Too many characters that I don't care about- and then there are characters that I do care about doing things NOT in character. Hate what they are doing in particular with Rayna and Avery. The writers could have gone in a hundred different better ways with the two main storylines- and this is how they go? Can't see the Avery of last year behaving in this way for THIS long. Jonathan Jackson is killing it as pathetic, drunken Avery but am so sick of this route the writers are taking. Also, bored with Zoey and Gunnar. Only interested in them and Scarlett when they sing. Still hoping it improves and still watching for Juliette (who is the show, in my opinion), Avery, and Deacon, but not sure for how much longer. Sure hope they right the ship soon.

• Love 3

I was thinking about the character whiplash of Avery, tracing him through three seasons as others above me have done. And I have to admit that this is a poorly written show. I am hooked and not going anywhere, but these writers traffic in lazy plot lines and can't keep true to their characters to save their lives. 

So no Will, Layla, or Luke this week. But we are getting to know FOUR brand new people- Sadie, Pam, Gunnar's ex, and I forget one. Point being there just isn't enough room for all these people. There must be 15 or 20 by now. 

Speaking of new characters, there's still plenty of time for Sadie to sell that picture.

And only two songs this week? I loved the Pam/Deacon song but hated the Sadie/Rayna song.

• Love 2

It was when he was walking on the golf course. I wasn't looking for it, but somehow saw it, & then I couldn't see anything else.

Thanks. I didn't see that. The shirt and cap looked nice though.

Edited to Add:

I think Youngy, Midru and MusicCityFan are speaking the truth. I'm not going anywhere either because I love this show even though I think it isn't very good. I remember being very excited about its potential during season 1. I loved Thelma & Louise and saw it in the theater 2 or 3 times in 1991. It was everything I wanted to write when I was studying to be a screenwriter. So here we are, so many years later, and I thought we were going to get this extended Thelma & Louise movie with new characters, but the same passion. It's been a big disappointment because it's simply all over the place.

But I think this show is a good lesson for aspiring writers of all kinds because it shows you how many directions a writer can take with characters and what happens when you choose the wrong direction. You need a third party to step back, read your script and critique it honestly. I also think the show runners need to rewatch the entire first season to remind themselves what they've written and what they hoped to do.

I also hate the route they've taken with Rayna and Avery, MusicCityFan, and I also hate that they didn't see how much more interesting the show could be if they had stuck with Gunnar, Zoey and Avery making music together, and Scarlett possibly finding a way back into their lives by making music with them. Season 1 had some great music. I bought all of the Gunnar/Scarlett songs.

The show has always had a problem with adding new characters without fully focusing on the characters they already have. Gunnar's and Juliette's story lines have been especially quick to resolve and move into another drama. I think Sadie could be a good addiction to the cast, but with Layla, Luke, Zoey and Jeff, I'm not sure why they felt they needed her. Of course Deacon needs a muse, so I'm not going to bemoan a new love interest for him. He'd be Teddy, otherwise, and though I like Eric Close a lot, Teddy shouldn't be on the show anymore.

I still wish Nashville had focused on Rayna and Juliette navigating the country music world as the old and new guard and eventually finding a way to accept each other.

Still in, though.

Edited by slade3

I think all the hate for Pam over the AA meeting scene is overblown. The explanation she offered for that seemed totally plausible - Deacon took off after they slept together without saying a word, she went looking for him and found him, and was already in the room before she realized it was an AA meeting and didn't know what to do. It didn't seem like she purposely went there to trick him into thinking she was in recovery too. Yeah, she probably should have told him what happened right away, but he didn't give her much of a chance.

It was pretty low of Avery to blame Scarlett for Juliette cheating on him. She had a nervous breakdown. It wasn't her responsibility in that moment to be worried about anything but her own health. Avery is the one that chose to be at her bedside 24/7 knowing full well his girlfriend was insecure and had trust issues, and he didn't expend much effort to talk to Juliette about it or involve her in helping Scarlett any way, even when it became clear she was uncomfortable with the situation. Avery and Juliette are responsible for what went wrong in their relationship, and no one else.

Count me in the camp that think Rayna's enjoyment of the car chase was ridiculous considering her recent near-death experience. I'm still not quite sure what to make of Sadie, but I don't think we're supposed to know what to think of her at this point.

I really hope Jeff doesn't succeed in trying to sign Rayna's girls behind her back. That would be completely unbelievable. There's no way Teddy would willingly go along with that without consulting Rayna, and it's just not plausible given their custody arrangement that he could even make legally-enforceable decisions like that on his own.

• Love 3

I really wanted Sadie to sell the picture because I hate Rayna.  Her laughing about the near miss with the truck just months after her nearly losing her career and possibly life in a real intersection crash didn't help my hate level.

I also hate Pam and now Deacon.  You don't just casually crash an AA meeting and listen in.  If he'd wanted you there, he would've invited you.

It'd be nice if they'd address why Juliette could abort Jeff's fetus but not Avery's.  Because she wuvs Avery?  Mkay.  Give me back hard-ass Juliette who was all about what's best for her and her career.  

Avery's gone full circle from season one asshole to season two dream man to season 3 whiny-ass drunken jerk.  Deacon goes in the same path.

It's a common bad tv trick to every few seasons reset the characters back to season 1. That way you don't have to come up with new story lines
Also I with Juliette on aborting Jeff's baby but giving up averys for adoption. No way could I carry Jeff's baby for 9 months and then release that evil spawn to the world. On the other hand a javery baby would be beautiful, smart, talented, and as long as it's not actually raised by Juliette and Avery, it could stand a chance!

Edited by hqtextbook
  • Love 3

I don't think Sadie would have any need to sell the photo of Rayna.  Doesn't she already have an established music career? She might not be on the star level of Rayna or Juliette, but I don't think she's some fresh off the bus newbie.  Didn't Rayna say she was "switching labels," not looking for a label?  

When Sadie took the picture, she said something about selling the picture to the paparazzi. I assumed she was making a joke, but Rayna had no reaction, so I couldn't figure out why the writers would have her say that without Rayna hearing it unless she was planning to do it. 

• Love 1

Good episode.  But yeah, the car chase would have worked better for me if they'd hidden behind a building or something instead of Rayna laughingly almost being killed. 

It was pretty low of Avery to blame Scarlett for Juliette cheating on him. She had a nervous breakdown. It wasn't her responsibility in that moment to be worried about anything but her own health. Avery is the one that chose to be at her bedside 24/7 knowing full well his girlfriend was insecure and had trust issues, and he didn't expend much effort to talk to Juliette about it or involve her in helping Scarlett any way, even when it became clear she was uncomfortable with the situation. Avery and Juliette are responsible for what went wrong in their relationship, and no one else.

I agree with this completely but see Avery's part a little differently.  I think he had a right to be there for Scarlett if he wanted without being held responsible for Juliette's cheating.  Sure, he knew she was broken and insecure but I don't think he realized to what extent.  I don't blame him one bit for not wanting to be in a relationship with someone who betrayed him over, what less than 48 hours of not putting her needs a first?  That could get old very fast.  In my opinion Avery did nothing that could be construed as cheating, emotionally or otherwise; he was just trying to be there for his old friend as best he could.  I would understand Juliette confronting him about what she overheard, starting a big fight etc. but she didn't even give him a chance to explain and try to make it up to her. And if we start throwing blame around, how about remembering that Scarlett wouldn't have even been on that tour until Juliette insisted they had to be close to her to work on Scarlett's album together?

I think Zoey asking Scarlett to sing with her was sweet but also stupid to assume she was ready to hop back on stage without a moment's notice. It would be great to see Scarlett join Gunnar and Avery in the band--they might sound pretty terrific, though Scarlett and Avery didn't blend very well (but SAG is not a good band name!).

On Jeff trying to sign Rayna's kids with just Teddy's permission--I don't think Teddy would but wonder if Jeff might try to trick him by saying it was just for one performance or something.  

I like Sadie, for now.  Not sure about Pam, but I'm glad Deacon's having fun.

• Love 2

I agree with this completely but see Avery's part a little differently.  I think he had a right to be there for Scarlett if he wanted without being held responsible for Juliette's cheating.  Sure, he knew she was broken and insecure but I don't think he realized to what extent.  I don't blame him one bit for not wanting to be in a relationship with someone who betrayed him over, what less than 48 hours of not putting her needs a first?  That could get old very fast.  In my opinion Avery did nothing that could be construed as cheating, emotionally or otherwise; he was just trying to be there for his old friend as best he could.  I would understand Juliette confronting him about what she overheard, starting a big fight etc. but she didn't even give him a chance to explain and try to make it up to her. And if we start throwing blame around, how about remembering that Scarlett wouldn't have even been on that tour until Juliette insisted they had to be close to her to work on Scarlett's album together?

I'm not saying Avery is responsible for Juliette cheating, just that they both (and no one else) were responsible for the problems in their relationship up to that point. Juliette overreacted to the situation and basically sabotaged the relationship because she was afraid she was losing Avery, and that's on her. But while I agree he had every right to be there for an old friend who was going through a crisis, he went about it in a way that was not at all sensitive to his girlfriend's feelings. I'm not sure what you mean about Juliette's insistence re: working on Scarlett's album. I don't recall exactly how that went down, but I seem to remember it was Rayna who put Scarlett on Juliette's tour after Juliette signed to Highway 65, and Juliette and Avery had a big fight about his decision to produce Scarlett's album. Since they'd already fought about his friendship with his ex, he knew Scarlett was a sore spot for Juliette and I don't recall him doing much to try to reassure her or involve her in helping Scarlett through a difficult time. Again, I'm not saying any of that justifies her cheating or makes it his fault, just that their relationship up to that point was not all sunshine and roses, and the only people that bear any blame or responsibility for it are the two people that were in the relationship, not Scarlett or Jeff or anyone else that they may be trying to blame now.

• Love 1
But while I agree he had every right to be there for an old friend who was going through a crisis, he went about it in a way that was not at all sensitive to his girlfriend's feelings. I'm not sure what you mean about Juliette's insistence re: working on Scarlett's album.

I agree, except that their relationship was good right up until Scarlett asked Avery to work on her album.  Avery told Juliette he wouldn't do it if she wasn't okay with it, but she didn't want to stop him from taking an opportunity he wanted.  The next thing you see is the three of them getting ready to leave on tour.  Rayna did want Scarlett to go on tour with Juliette but Scarlett wanted to finish the album and since it was emotional stuff she asked for Avery because she needed someone she trusted.  So taking them on tour solved Juliette's problem but created a situation where she was constantly feeling ignored by Avery who was working on the album with Scarlett and Scarlett wanting to finish the album without the stress of being on tour.  As far as the way Avery went about being there for Scarlett after her breakdown, he stayed with Scarlett while he felt she needed him and then took time to catch on his sleep before hashing it out with Juliette.  I don't think involving Juliette in helping Scarlett would have worked since Juliette was unable to focus on anyone's needs but her own.  Yes, Juliette felt ignored but Avery apologized and tried to tend to her feelings as soon as he could but it was already too late.  It seems to me Avery did all he could but it just wasn't enough for Juliette.

I'm not saying Avery is responsible for Juliette cheating, just that they both (and no one else) were responsible for the problems in their relationship up to that point. Juliette overreacted to the situation and basically sabotaged the relationship because she was afraid she was losing Avery, and that's on her.

I'm just saying I think Avery took as much precaution as he could avoid hurting Juliette and still got cheated on.  It takes a lot of work to be in a healthy relationship with Juliette and I wouldn't fault anyone in that situation for deciding they weren't up for it.  Of course the baby changes that somewhat.

Edited by shron17
  • Love 2

It would be great to see Scarlett join Gunnar and Avery in the band--they might sound pretty terrific, though Scarlett and Avery didn't blend very well (but SAG is not a good band name!).

Heh, GAS is a terrible band name too. Adding Zoe into the mix doesn't improve the acronym possibilities (SAGZ or ZAGS). It would be hilarious if Scarlett, Avery, and Gunnar sang together using a twist on the name Scarlett suggested when she sang with Avery's band. They could be Scarlett and Her Exes!

• Love 1

When Sadie took the picture, she said something about selling the picture to the paparazzi. I assumed she was making a joke, but Rayna had no reaction, so I couldn't figure out why the writers would have her say that without Rayna hearing it unless she was planning to do it. 

I didn't understand the point of that scene. Right now, I don't understand Sadie's role in the story. Is she there to be Rayna's new best friend? There are so many characters in this show - many of them without a purpose. Why introduce someone new?

Does Luke know Sadie? I thought there was a scene with him reassuring her about her career or something. (My memory could be faulty on this because my attention often wanders when I am watching this show.)

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 1

Avery has obviously done no thinking at all during his long pity party. Like Deacon last season, when these guys hit the bottle they cannot put two thoughts together to save their lives. So of course Avery doesn't reflect AT ALL about the subtleties of his situation, the ways he might have contributed to it, what Juliette wants to say to him, etc. It reminds me of Deacon purposely sitting in jail for a crime he knew he didn't commit. 

And if the Jeff and Teddy really try to sign the girls I think I might lose it. It is so stupid it boggles the mind. Of course Teddy has not supported the girls' musical ambitions and Rayna has. Also as their inspiration you would think they would want direction and participation from their mom. 

And, uh, in case they seem to have forgot... Rayna has her own record label! If not for artistic reasons then for financial reasons it would make no sense for them to sign with anyone but Rayna. Are they really so short on ideas that THAT was the best they could come up with? They could read this board and literally get twenty better ideas from reader suggestions.

• Love 6

And if the Jeff and Teddy really try to sign the girls I think I might lose it. It is so stupid it boggles the mind. Of course Teddy has not supported the girls' musical ambitions and Rayna has. Also as their inspiration you would think they would want direction and participation from their mom.  

And, uh, in case they seem to have forgot... Rayna has her own record label! If not for artistic reasons then for financial reasons it would make no sense for them to sign with anyone but Rayna. Are they really so short on ideas that THAT was the best they could come up with? They could read this board and literally get twenty better ideas from reader suggestions.

It is stupid but I think that's exactly what will happen. It's part of Jeff's diabolical plan to bring down Rayna and her record label. How he will convince Teddy to go along remains to be seen. Teddy is dull but he's not an idiot.

This show should be re-named "Everything Happens to Rayna" because that's the only character these writers are invested in.

• Love 1

It might be their most ridiculous plot-line ever.

• Love 1
But yeah, the car chase would have worked better for me if they'd hidden behind a building or something instead of Rayna laughingly almost being killed.

I thought that was just awful.  They threw Thelma and Louise in there to serve some girl-bonding purpose, maybe to create a foundation for Girl Power Highway 65?   Whatever the reason, it was out of character and jarringly so.  Did the writers just forget about Rayna and Deacon's car crash?

• Love 2

I thought I was the only one that thought, do not the writers go back and look or review old episodes. Rayna almost died in a car crash. I would have thought she would be really angry that Pam was speeding and then to try to cross a road with a truck coming in their direction passing in front of it just in time. How Rayna didn't get our of the car and have a sh t fit I don't understand. I guess a brain injury did effect her because it seems nothing bothers her anymore.

I can't figure out what purpose Pam will be in Rayna's life. Taking the place of Tandy as her confident, close friend, someone to hang around with, do fun things like go joy riding though Nashville in Pam's convertable. Liked Rayna taking control of her label but I wonder how long that's going to last when LW finds out she stole Pam away from Edgehill and Jeff.

I would have loved to see the interaction between Rayna and Juliette when she showed Rayna the sonogram and what advice did Rayna give Juliette. This series always leaves episodes hanging never has closure of something that important and dramatic. Juliette opening her heart to someone she considers a friend and we don't hear anything about it. Lost scene of two main characters, Rayna comforting Juliette at a very stressful time.

• Love 2

Sutton -

Pam is the haggard, stringy-haired blonde who's popping corn with Deacon. Sadie is the brunette who took Rayna on the wild ride in her convertible.

I'm new to the show and new to posting here (I've lurked for months since TWOP shut down). Thanks to all of the great posts here, I pretty much can figure out what's what and who is who.

There used to be a great column in the San Francisco Chronicle Sunday edition, written by Joe Bob Briggs. He reviewed the kind of movies that, at the time, could be found in classic old drive-in movie theaters (venues he loved and celebrated). We're talking about grade B through Z slasher, martial arts, soft-core porn films - cheesy but fun, and perfectly suited to the drive-in.

He had a favorite descriptive shorthand for elements in these movies that were joyfully/painfully/ridiculously excessive. If a movie had lots of gory scenes, he described it as having "blood-fu"

• Love 1

I think my favorite part of the episode was Rayna's speech to Sadie about female musicians and how there IS a market for a lot of them and all of them. There are tons of male country stars on the radio. This whole competitive, there can only be 1 female country star on top thing is totally manufactured. Rayna was totally awesome in telling Sadie that women should collaborate and whats good for her will be success for Sadie. One woman's success just adding to another's (same can be said for Juliette and Rayna taking over the world together). That and coming to Juliette's rescue made Rayna the star of this episode for me. More please! See what can happen when luke is gone?

My other main note is that Juliette, while absolutely the best thing about this show, is just as awesome when she's crushing life, sassy, and strong as she is destroyed. I don't see why we can't have a balance. Its like they figured out HP is their only actress who can cry on command or something. So they just have her do that in every scene. 

• Love 5

I hate that this show is making me start to hate Avery... he used to be my favorite character.  His drinking, whining and overall nastiness has just gotten to be way too much.  And he's made plenty of mistakes himself.  I was so invested in Juliette and Avery, but now I think Juliette deserves someone better.

I still love Glen though.  He is just made of awesome.

And the reckless driving scene was just so ridiculous.  Never in a million years do I believe that someone who recently almost died from a reckless auto accident would be whooping it up during and after a near miss like that.  This Rayna is a pod.

• Love 1

YES!! Why is show making Avery suck so much?? I really liked him a lot!! This is just an unrealistic character development. He was awful to Gunner. He's blowing the Juliette thing WAY out of proportion. I mean really, you don't call someone to pick you up from jail and proceed to tear them apart immediately. What a jerk! I really don't think theyre going to be able to redeem him for me. They did it after season 1, but this is just too much. 

• Love 1

Sorry, Sorry wrong person I meant to say Sadie shows you how much I'm paying attention to watching this series and keeping the names of the characters straight. There was a time when I enjoyed watching Nashville, Wednesday at 10:00 pm but now I record it and ff throught all the Rayna and LW scenes.

I can see how one can get all the characters confused at times.  This is a way overpopulated show - it desperately needs some pruning, and ITA with those who are getting REALLY tired of Avery's incredibly self-indulgent, whining, drunken pity party.  I can't stand to listen or look at him, and I've only been watching the show for three weeks!  Have someone throw a bucket of ice water over him, then cart him off to a Betty Ford clinic for several months, so Juliette can have her baby or lose her baby or whatever, then let her fall in love with someone else - someone who'll allow her to laugh and be happy for 5 or 10 minutes.  But please, please do not let that person be Derek Hough.  He exudes all the warmth and charisma of a pickle.  

• Love 4

I agree that Teddy actually signing his children to Jeff's label would be a ridiculous direction for the show to go.  It's already been established that:  

- Rayna is completely opposed to having her kids be professional musicians at their age, and Teddy knows it

- Teddy would find the idea of Maddie spending more of her time singing and playing guitar to be very threatening

- no matter what else, both Teddy and Rayna are completely committed to putting their children first, and that they also know they have to give the kids a consistent message and not try to undermine each other

Now, Jeff doesn't know those things.  I would be fine with a 1-more-episode scheming by Jeff to get Teddy to sign up the kids behind Rayna's back, and Teddy seemingly considering it but refusing.  But Teddy actually signing up the kids, or this dragging on for weeks, that would be silly and get tiresome really fast..

• Love 5

Yeah but how stupid is that? It would only make sense if she decided to keep it because it was Avery's. I started thinking maybe it was too late for an abortion but then the doctor said she's still in the first trimester. Dumb. 

I think she decided to keep it because it wasn't Jeff's.  She thinks Jeff is evil, and didn't want to carry his devil spawn.  With Avery, she wanted things to work, but when she failed to be able to even talk to him, gave up on the idea of things working out. But she seems to care about the kid having a chance now that she knows its not evil. 

• Love 1

Observations:

Rayna, for the most part, impressed me this week. Her calling "Ruke" "A four-letter word" was a good start; if only she had said that about Luke, but chances are she will, sooner or later. Loved that Rayna was supportive of Juliette and pulled a fast one on Jeff. However, I don't trust Sadie. In movie terms, Sadie's a little too Eve Harrington from  All About Eve for me. For those who haven't seen All About Eve, it's about Eve Harrington, a struggling young theater actress who becomes the protégé of Broadway legend Margo Channing, whom Eve claims to idolize, but is secretly plotting against her. Sadie's definitely giving me Eve Harrington vibes, whether she's secretly taking pictures of Rayna in her wedding gown or taking Rayna on a joyride to escape the paparazzi. Speaking of the latter, WTF wa sRayna thinking when she told Sadie to run the red light? Certainly not about her daughters, who almost lost Rayna last year in a car accident, which was why Rayna should've thought twice when she told Sadie to step on it. Instead of being subjected to Rayna making yet another mistake, there should've been a scene that showed what happened after Juliette showed up on Rayna's doorstep at the end of last week's episode. Rayna's putting Jeff on blast for his getting mad at Rayna for "stealing" Sadie from him when he did the same thing to Rayna re Will last season was epic. Hypocritical much, douchebag? Hell no to hatesex, though. I'm not much of a Rayna fan these days, but IMO she deserves much better than Jeff, who's so sleazy that he wants to use Maddie and Daphne to get back at Rayna. As questionable as most of Rayna's choices have been lately, I don't believe that she would let Jeff get away with exploiting the girls for a second and Deacon wouldn't even consider letting Jeff pull that shit with Maddie. As for Teddy, I'd like to think that he wouldn't be dumb enough to believe Jeff whether he's making "charitable donations" (aka bribes) to the girls' school or not, but Teddy's Teddy.

Another untrustworthy bitch is Pam. For one thing, I don't consider crashing an AA meeting foreplay, so I don't blame Deacon for being pissed on that score, for his own and the other unsuspecting members' sakes. If ever there was a place that shouldn't be used as a pickup joint, it's an AA meeting. Deacon's drinking problem is not only a big deal, because of his being busted for his and Rayna's car accident, it's a matter of public record, therefore Pam's going to Deacon's AA meeting one moment and doing shots the next was disrespectful, the way I saw it. Deacon shouldn't be a monk while Rayna's with Luke, but he shouldn't get serious with Pam, who treats his addiction/recovery like a joke. Pam's just a drive-by and since she already looks like 20 miles of bad road, that's perfect for her.

Avery was an asshole, not just to Juliette, but to Scarlett, who may have her issues in general and with stage fright in particular, but at least she's not the total trainwreck that Avery is anymore.  Juliette may have handled things with Avery and his supporting Scarlett through her breakdown badly, especially since she fucked Jeff, but she still cares enough about Avery to bail his sorry, drunk ass out of jail, not that he had sense enough to be grateful for it.  At this point, Avery's not fit to raise a plant, let alone a child. 

I heart Glenn. He's the best thing about/best man in this episode, with or without his toupee'.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

Observations:

Rayna, for the most part, impressed me this week. Her calling "Ruke" "A four-letter word" was a good start; if only she had said that about Luke, but chances are she will, sooner or later. Loved that Rayna was supportive of Juliette and pulled a fast one on Jeff. However, I don't trust Sadie. In movie terms, Sadie's a little too Eve Harrington from  All About Eve for me...

I seriously hope not.  For one, I like Sadie so far and LOVE Laura Benanti.  But also, they already sort of did a mini Eve Harrington thing with Layla and Juliette.  Even if that line seems to have been since dropped, doing it again would be redundant.  Also, I would like to think that this show wouldn't which is run by a woman and stars two woman wouldn't fall into the trap of making every ambitious woman a backstabbing, competitive bitch and/or borderline psychopath.

I'll be surprised if Sadie turns out to be nutty or hurtful to Rayna. Anything is possible, but that doesn't seem like Laura Benanti to me. Plus, she's such a huge fan of the show and of Connie Britton that it would be odd. I think Sadie is supposed to play a friend/confidante role for Rayna, sort of like what Tandy should have been but a lot more fun.

• Love 2

First of all, thanks mousegirl for the phrase "popping corn." I will be stealing it and working it into my daily life forthwith.

Secondly, okay, I know Pam wasn't kicking puppies when she ghosted into that AA meeting but even though her explanation was plausible, the whole "Lighten up, woo! I'm the Kegstand Queen of South Padre Island!" act does not play well at her age. And to be clear, it doesn't play well for a guy either. To me her plausible explanation was immediately cancelled out by her dismissiveness of Deacon's feelings about it. "I'm sorry, okay, but anyway let's fuck on a washing machine! Woo! I so crazy and fun!" Ugggh. Pam is That Girl. The Cool Girl.

I really felt like in this episode the show is hedging their bets on Sadie. They haven't decided yet if she's going to be a rival or a pal, so they're giving her these ambiguous actions that could go either way. I do not appreciate this. Are they waiting for network notes to find out what to do with Laura Benanti? Does Callie not have a belief in her own original  concept that she's now reduced to Thelma and Louise lite?

And where, may I ask, is the music? Can they maybe get T-Bone back up in that joint?

• Love 3

First of all, you're welcome to the phrase, rubyred!  And you couldn't steal it if you tried, it didn't originate with me and I have no idea of its provenance.  I first encountered "popping corn" as a euphemism for (ahem) fornication in the novels of Patrick Dennis, one of my all-time favorite authors (Dennis was the creator of Auntie Mame).  It was apparently in common usage during the mid-twentieth century, when his books were big sellers.

It just seemed to fit Pam and her whole "let's get naked and have some good dirty fun" philosophy/approach to Deacon.  Except, I don't think, in truth, that her agenda, if you will, is really all that innocent and playful.  She gives off some really underhanded, stalkerish vibes.  Yes, she's The Cool Girl, who gets under the man and then turns into another Gone Girl - and Deacon doesn't deserve this shit in his life.

Now I would LOVE to see Pam turn her seedy charms on Luke, or Jeff.  THAT would be must-see.

Mousegirl I agree Pam might be a "Cool Girl" but Deacon doesn't deserve this shit in his life. He needs to remember if the tabloids get a hold of any pictures of him (he's an opening act on a very popular LW tour) and a woman in compromising position it will embarrass Maddie. (Like sex on the washing machine) There is something about her I can't figure out yet. She was dismissive about the AA meeting but she has to know Deacon is a recovering alcoholic. I don't trust her she does work for LW and he would very much like to see Deacon fall off the wagon again so he could tell Rayna "I told you so." Deacon is a talented guitarist, song writer, singer, very good looking, sexy as hell, has a good heart in helping people and I just hate it when they make him into a man slut. Can men be called sluts???

Deacon is a talented guitarist, song writer, singer, very good looking, sexy as hell, has a good heart in helping people and I just hate it when they make him into a man slut. Can men be called sluts???

Slut has always been a gender neutral term in my book.

As for Deacon being one, he said in the AA meeting that he was replacing one addiction for another.  He tends to get into those self-destructive modes whenever something happens with Rayna, so this behavior is no surprise.

• Love 1