Type keyword(s) to search

Rob Has A Podcast: Survivor Edition

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

This weeks was a live show. Stephen's Cousin was at the taping as was the entire Whine and Cheese club. Eliza is not happy with Andrew Savage. It is absolutely wonderful. Loving it.

Warning: Dan makes an appearence on the podcast. He is in full redemption mode and not an asshole. Eliza calls him on his response that he wanted her to do well based on his behavior during the episode. It leads to lots of swearing on Eliza's part.

Edited by ProfCrash

I think Rob understated how much Vytas's creepiness affected his ouster last week. Yes, Vytas was probably seen as a threat because of his connections, but the creepiness was still an issue, not just some fabricated storyline. Rob did the same thing with Vince last season. Obviously Rob is not a woman and doesn't know what it's like to be so uncomfortable because of men like that, but I would think that after doing the podcast and hearing about these issues he would have less of a blindspot about stuff like this.

• Love 3

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/01/survivor-talk-shirin-cambodia-second-chance

Rob C showed up on Dalton Ross's Survivor Talk show.And Shirin is there. The intro was pretty cute.

Did you listen to the whole show? I saw a comment on the post on RHAP that Shirin gave some bit of information away at the end. My interpretation of the comment was that it was some sort of spoiler and I'm tempted to listen for it but I don't want to if it's a big one. Did you hear anything like that?

Did you listen to the whole show? I saw a comment on the post on RHAP that Shirin gave some bit of information away at the end. My interpretation of the comment was that it was some sort of spoiler and I'm tempted to listen for it but I don't want to if it's a big one. Did you hear anything like that?

I listened to the entire thing and did not make note of any spoiler.  I went to listen again and that link has been taken down.  I didn't check further on Dalton's page so it may just be the link that went bogus and not video itself. 

At tribal she announced that Terry had an idol. Maybe that is what you mean.  He doesn't, she just said that.  We would know! 

I listened to the entire thing. She didn't give away any spoilers. She did talk about something she did at tribal that was not shown. It is not different then the various mentions of Jeff V asking a question at tribal right before voting which we didn't see.

RHAP had a copy of the video on his page where he talks with Jon Carroll.

http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-2015-john-carroll-recaps-cambodia-episode-2-thursday-october-1-season-31/

Edited by ProfCrash

I listened to the entire thing and did not make note of any spoiler.  I went to listen again and that link has been taken down.  I didn't check further on Dalton's page so it may just be the link that went bogus and not video itself. 

At tribal she announced that Terry had an idol. Maybe that is what you mean.  He doesn't, she just said that.  We would know! 

I listened to the entire thing. She didn't give away any spoilers. She did talk about something she did at tribal that was not shown. It is not different then the various mentions of Jeff V asking a question at tribal right before voting which we didn't see.

RHAP had a copy of the video on his page where he talks with Jon Carroll.

http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-2015-john-carroll-recaps-cambodia-episode-2-thursday-october-1-season-31/

Awesome, thanks!

Denise is on Rob Has a Podcast and discussing Abi.

In the questions section with Antonio, Rob refers to Abi as an angrier Sandra. She is loud, says her peace and plays anyone but me. Rob does acknowledge that there is a difference in how the two are playing. I would say the main difference is that Abi is no where near as loyal as Sandra. Sandra goes after folks targeting her and her alliance mates.

Denise is not an Abi fan and was laughing at some of the comments she made about Abi during the Philippines season.

Edited by ProfCrash

Abi is no Sandra!

Sandra tells it as I would if I were there, Abi has a completely different logic (mysterious? i.e. I never understand where it's coming from) in what she says.

Sandra, as brutally honest as she can be, always keeps the end game in mind. Abi ?????  

Sandra targets the bullies, Abi is a bully.

Sandra hides in plain sight and wins, Abi doesn't (hide nor win).

I rest my case...

• Love 3

To be fair, Denise said that she didn't really know Abi outside the game and could believe that she was pleasant in real life. She did add that she believed that everything you see in someone in survivor is really them, but also that survivor may trigger some traits that one doesn't normally show. Denise thinks some of the things she said and did weren't what she would normally say and do, but survivor exposed traits she doesn't usually show.

I love the genuine way Denise talks about survivor. She isn't part of either the west coast or east coast survivor groups and leads a day to day life that isn't much impacted by her survivor winner status. Her training and experience in therapy give her an interesting perspective, but she isn't at all prissy or preachy about people. The podcast is worth a listen, it's one of Rob's better ones, IMO. :)

• Love 2

Listening to Randy on Rob Has a Podcast. He wants to go back for a third time. This season is really bringing out the people who want to play again. Randy is doing a hard sell on how he has changed and how he is ready to play again now.

It could be interesting to see who wants back on for a third time and why.

I hope we don't see Randy again. He hates himself and he hates everyone else. Why he wants to play a game that relies so heavily on social dynamics, I don't understand. I feel sympathy for him as a person because he seems so unhappy and apparently didn't have any friends to even bring to the reunion show (and instead brought some random Survivor fans he met somewhere), but that doesn't mean I want to watch him play again.

• Love 2
Listening to Randy on Rob Has a Podcast. He wants to go back for a third time. This season is really bringing out the people who want to play again. Randy is doing a hard sell on how he has changed and how he is ready to play again now.

Yeah, I came over here to say the same thing.

Didja hear that Randy wanted to be Stephen's replacement on KIA? I dunno if Randy is 60 yet but he can barely remember the names of half the people.

Randy is not a happy person. He mentioned in the podcast that he doesn't understand people being homesick and tearing up thinking about their loved ones. He said that is probably because there is no one that he feels that strongly about at home. He was upset that he went out for Heros vs Villans and was out so fast. He wanted to go home to try and save his job but he wasn't able to. He apparently was a pain in the ass to the handlers for their pre-Jury trip and did end up going home 10 days early.

The way he talks about his life and himself just sounds like he is not happy and actually kind of miserable.

I suspect he wants a third chance for the money that it would bring but I could be wrong. He did have some interesting Coach stories and the like. I hope he doesn't do too many more podcasts because he is so similar to Corrine and I am not a fan of her podcasts.

He did say he has Sugar on speed dial and that they are friends now.

I suspect that the success of this show has sent a message to the past players that Production will use this forum again. The people who have pissed off TPTB are lobbying hard for another chance. John Carroll owned up to how badly he screwed up with his fight with Production. He actually sounded sincere and discussed why CBS was legally correct to protect their copyright and how he was wrong to do what he did. He actually sounds passionate about playing and why he wants to play again. Randy sounds like he needs the money and I can't believe he would play a different game because he still sounds miserable and even more like a grumpy old many then he has in the past.

I rewatched Gabon in Aug. or so, so Randy's awfulness is fresh on my mind.  But I kind of also have the feeling that his curmudgeon persona was in large part an act, including the "I have no friends so I brought internet forum fans to the reunion" thing.  There was a time or two when his face broke just a little at the reunion and a smile came through, at his own foolish act.  He was a good actor but I don't ever enjoy the villain acts, except at the moment of a blindside or otherwise humiliating ousting.  

Of course people will say whatever they have to in order to get a glimmer of hope of returning.  I remember when I read Randy's bio for the first time during Gabon, and thought 'is this guy for real'.  At the end of the day, I couldn't dislike him like I did half that cast-I felt sorry for the guy.  He does seem to lead a miserable existence.  Whether that's his own doing or he just got unlucky in life, I don't know.  But really, life is what you make of it.  You want to be an almost-hermit that can't socialize, that's on you.  I don't know if Randy has tried and given up, thinking people owe him something.  Whatever the case, he isn't someone I want to see back again.  He failed miserably twice, and I don't think he will do any better a third time.

In keeping track, Neleh, John Carroll, LJ, Chelsea, Jeremiah, J'Tia, Joel from Borneo, Joel from Micronesia, Jon from SJDS, Teresa (again), Brian from Guatemala, Billy, and Ken from Gabon are just a few I see making the plug to try and get back on the show.  If they do another fan vote season, which Probst said they likely will, I can see why some people are starting the campaign early.

Some of the folks who are interested are campaigning early because they know they have to convince Production. I think many of the old schoolers who are campaigning will probably have support from the fans because it is interesting to see the old school players adapting to the new game.

I still think a three tribe split Seasons 1-10, Seasons 11-20, Seasons 21-30 would be fun. The real problem would be making the challenges fair given that there are going to be decent age differences between the tribes.

At the end of the day, I couldn't dislike him like I did half that cast-I felt sorry for the guy.  He does seem to lead a miserable existence.  Whether that's his own doing or he just got unlucky in life, I don't know.

That's how I feel about him. I don't think he's a bad person, so much as just someone who's grown bitter over how socially awkward he is. I know that at Gabon's Ponderosa, when Crystal arrived, the Onions completely ostracized her and wouldn't even speak to her. When she was sitting at a table eating alone, it was Randy who went up to her and tried to make her feel better, saying the others were just mad but would probably warm up in a couple of days. And there had been no love lost between Crystal and Randy, so for him that was a nice gesture. I think he understood what it's like to be the outsider and felt some empathy for her. As much as I don't want to see Randy again, I would take him over a return of any of the Onions, especially Corinne and Marcus.

That said, didn't he show up to one of his reunions with a shaved head? I kind of remember wondering if he was going to go all Travis Bickle on everyone.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 3

He was advocating for Sugar or Crystal to return. I don't think Sugar would come back. In between his being decent on the podcast, he was still taking shots at folks. I think it is his personality. I don't think he is awful, I think he is someone who is naturally pessimistic and a bit of a downer. Corrine and the others were just awful people. Randy was right there with them but he had a different feel to his awfulness.

• Love 3

I still think a three tribe split Seasons 1-10, Seasons 11-20, Seasons 21-30 would be fun. The real problem would be making the challenges fair given that there are going to be decent age differences between the tribes.

That made me wonder what a "no tribe" game would look like.

Just start with the merge and individual play. It might even work better with all new players.

But everyone on the same beach trying to build a massive shelter and HIIs galore in the beginning with no HIIs toward the later part of the game.

I think it would inspire more "Lord of the Flies" type behavior. Especially if they weren't fed much and the rewards were off-beach meals.

• Love 6

Yeah, he was campaigning hard but the sad, miserable, and now desperate Randy came thru.

There was one part that made me snicker tho. The snit fit at the end which was an inside joke. The hung up phone tone on the end just KILLED me bc I remember when Rob talked about how he needed that sound effect to make the joke work.

Some of the folks who are interested are campaigning early because they know they have to convince Production. I think many of the old schoolers who are campaigning will probably have support from the fans because it is interesting to see the old school players adapting to the new game.

Yeah, I totally get that's why.  Some are even thanking fans for saying they want them to return, and saying that they need to make their voices known to production.  When the original second chance cast list came out, I snuck at peek at Jeff's and the official Survivor twitter page, and the name I saw come up more often than anyone was Neleh, in terms of exclusion.  There were several other who said they were disappointed by the lack of old schoolers, and that the majority of choices were from the last 4 seasons (I still think 5 from WA was way too many, even though only 2 made it on).  I know there are many old schoolers and pre-jury boots begging for another chance, though they obviously are unmemorable enough that I can't remember them.  I wonder if any of the quitters would dare try to stir up interest for themselves.  Joel from Micronesia had an idea-taking the 2 tribes from the Fans of half of both FvsF seasons and pairing them against another tribe of fans.  So basically Micronesia fans vs Caramoan fans vs New Fans.

Toast n Bacon, I have always loved that idea.  It could be One World minus the tribes.  Granted, I'm not sure how I would feel about a new season of 20 players.  But I'd love for them to mix it up.  Start with tribes, then go individual for a couple challenges (like this season-start with 20, and at 18, instead of splitting into 3 tribes, go to individual challenges for the next couple episodes, then switch back to tribes).  It'd be nice to see them really mess with the format, and maybe it would inspire more people to actually play the game rather than just get comfortable in an alliance, or have one tribe dominate.  I wouldn't mind seeing that in a returning player season, either, although that would likely get Joe kicked to the curb earlier than usual if they thought it was going to be individual challenges for the rest of the game.

• Love 1

I'm still hoping for a season where they return to the no-frills seasons 1 and 2 format but don't tell anyone. 16 people, two tribes, no shuffle, merge at 10, jury at 9, final two. Mainly I like to think about players searching for HIIs that don't exist.

• Love 4

There isn't a player in this discussion so far whom I'd really like to see play again, except maybe Theresa.  I for sure don't want to see a third chance for someone like Randy. Or really anyone who's had two chances.  

Even this season enough of the second-chancers are obnoxious enough to make me wish for all-newbie seasons for a while.  Of the four voted off, Peih-Gee still seems to be the only one that seemed humble about the experience rather than superior, judgmental and bitter. 

The thing I would like to see them do is a season where they bring back everyone from season one, the ones that can't come back or don't want to, get one of their family members to play. Season 30 would have been a good time for something like that.

I really hope they do the Third Time's the Charm season that is rumored to be in the works, and that it's another fan vote.

There isn't a player in this discussion so far whom I'd really like to see play again, except maybe Theresa.  I for sure don't want to see a third chance for someone like Randy. Or really anyone who's had two chances.  

Even this season enough of the second-chancers are obnoxious enough to make me wish for all-newbie seasons for a while.  Of the four voted off, Peih-Gee still seems to be the only one that seemed humble about the experience rather than superior, judgmental and bitter. 

I do agree with this.  While I like AS seasons, often times I'm left disappointed by the lack of game play or the bitterness people come off it with.  Sometimes people can't accept that they may not be any good at this game, or overplayed their hand, and that maybe pre-game alliances and setting your sights on voting someone off before you even get there isn't smart game play.  So far, no one is really living up to this whole "second chance", though it is still very early and I hope that changes.  Also, I'm pretty much over hearing everyone say "my second chance".  I got drained during the 20s era of this show, between HvsV, RI, SP, FvsF#2 and BvsW#1.  The fewer spaced out AS seasons are the better, and I really hope they've learned about bringing back people for 3-4+ times.

I really hope they do the Third Time's the Charm season that is rumored to be in the works, and that it's another fan vote.

Haven't heard about this!  I liked the format better this season, with one time players and no winners.  There are still so many out there I'd like to see get a second chance.  Not too many that I care to see get a third that haven't already had it.

I was surprised how many returnees there are.  Like 79, with 16 of them 3-timers and 2 of them 4-timers!  

I thought maybe they could do a season of 2nd chances for the med-evaced people but there have only been like 11, some have had a second chance already, and some were just too old and unhealthy the first time so they'd be a bad choice to go again.  

How about an all-celebrity season?  As in non-Survivor celebrities.  I guess outside of reality tv or sports, who would sign up for it with a measly million at stake.  Then again, Lisa Whelchel did.  Surviving With The Stars.  It'd be a bunch of D/E/F-listers.  

I liked the format better this season, with one time players and no winners.

I would be fine with another season like this too, but I would also love to see the third chancers too, but I agree, no winners.

I never liked Randy, but Rob's interview with him was fun, the idea of Randy and Coach being roommates sounds like a reality show by itself. I don't care that much if he comes back, but if it's on a fan vote, I don't think I could bring myself to throw him any votes.

I was surprised how many returnees there are.  Like 79, with 16 of them 3-timers and 2 of them 4-timers!  

I thought maybe they could do a season of 2nd chances for the med-evaced people but there have only been like 11, some have had a second chance already, and some were just too old and unhealthy the first time so they'd be a bad choice to go again.  

How about an all-celebrity season?  As in non-Survivor celebrities.  I guess outside of reality tv or sports, who would sign up for it with a measly million at stake.  Then again, Lisa Whelchel did.  Surviving With The Stars.  It'd be a bunch of D/E/F-listers.  

Well, it'd be one celeb based reality show Gary Busey hasn't tackled yet ;)  And of course there's no shortage of Real Housewives that would likely line up or any other former reality star whose 15 minutes of fame has long passed.  I still would love to see the ultimate cross over addition of having former Big Brother/TAR contestants.  The UK has the celeb Big Brother edition-I don't know if they even do a normal one anymore.

I would be fine with another season like this too, but I would also love to see the third chancers too, but I agree, no winners.

There are people I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a 3rd time, although most of the returnees I'd want to see back have already done it 3 times.  I guess it would depend.  I can't say I'd want to see Shirin or Vytas again, but would totally go for PG a third time.  I may have to go investigate.  Oh, and I would love to see Erik get another chance.  First getting voted out of Micronesia for his own bone headed stupidity, and then getting pulled from Caramoan for a medical issue that I believe cleared up after just a few hours (and being that close to the end).  And of course Malcolm, especially if they brought Joe back.

Edited by LadyChatts

I think the closet thing we got to a 'celebrity Survivor' was that show "I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here" that featured the like of Heidi/Spencer back when they thought their stock was still rising, Sanjaya, and the wife of politician Rod what's-his-face that was corrupt in IL.  I think Survivor might be a step above that, but it would likely have to be a shorter time frame than 39 days.  Even DWTS seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.  I sometimes wonder if the long commitment is what keeps people from that show.

Early on when there was a lot of excitement about the show, there was talk of a Celebrity Survivor using then-current CBS stars like Kevin James and Ray Romano, but I think all the CBS stars were like, "naaaaaah," so nothing came of it.

I still would love to see the ultimate cross over addition of having former Big Brother/TAR contestants.  

I've got it:  The CBS Reality Triathlon- One month in the BB house, one month on a Survivor location and then one month around the world.  

I don't know how you'd win it, though.  Maybe start with 40 people in a larger BB house, the last 20 go to a Survivor location, then the last 10 race around the world?  

I hope we don't see Randy again. He hates himself and he hates everyone else. Why he wants to play a game that relies so heavily on social dynamics, I don't understand. I feel sympathy for him as a person because he seems so unhappy and apparently didn't have any friends to even bring to the reunion show (and instead brought some random Survivor fans he met somewhere), but that doesn't mean I want to watch him play again.

Except for his racist outburst at that one tribal (which he was maybe doing to get a rise out of people, but Randy, that doesn't make it not racist, dude) I loved Randy.  To me he was excellent TV, and, what's funny to me, I honestly felt he came across as genuinely nice and warm in actual fact.  He talked shit about other people, and he is very good at talking shit, but he was also often trying to connect with people he liked and to do things for them.  He had a better grasp of the game than most and was an unlikely but undeniable challenge asset.  I never got the glee about his ouster -- a) there was no point whatever to the fake idol ploy that Bob and Sugar pulled on him, and b) his acting as a colossal snarling asshole that episode was a strategem to try to get the heat on himself so he could save his alliance via the idol he thought he had!  How is it satisfying to see a guy try his best to save his allies and get humiliated for it for absolutely no reason?  Randy may be a grumpy old man, but he was on a season with the Onions, a vile bunch of people (whose terribleness was unfortunately mostly hidden in the edit and only revealed in the Ponderosa videos); we should remember him as a prince compared to those people!

But then there is that racist thing.  Dangit Randy.

I'm still hoping for a season where they return to the no-frills seasons 1 and 2 format but don't tell anyone. 16 people, two tribes, no shuffle, merge at 10, jury at 9, final two. Mainly I like to think about players searching for HIIs that don't exist.

Tocantins is pretty darn close!  16 cast members, no shuffle, merge at ten, jury at 9, final 2.  There were idols, but none of them were ever played.  There was Exile Island, though.  Which ruled.  TBH I can't get into the no-frills idea, in my mind even despite the evidence of Tocantins to the contrary, it makes the pre-merge challenges count way too much, and Pagonging too likely.

• Love 2

KimberStormer, I do agree with many parts of your posts (bolded ones) but then again I have to say, below,

Except for his racist outburst at that one tribal (which he was maybe doing to get a rise out of people, but Randy, that doesn't make it not racist, dude) I loved Randy.  To me he was excellent TV, and, what's funny to me, I honestly felt he came across as genuinely nice and warm in actual fact.  He talked shit about other people, and he is very good at talking shit, but he was also often trying to connect with people he liked and to do things for them.  He had a better grasp of the game than most and was an unlikely but undeniable challenge asset.  I never got the glee about his ouster -- a) there was no point whatever to the fake idol ploy that Bob and Sugar pulled on him, and b) his acting as a colossal snarling asshole that episode was a strategem to try to get the heat on himself so he could save his alliance via the idol he thought he had!  How is it satisfying to see a guy try his best to save his allies and get humiliated for it for absolutely no reason?  Randy may be a grumpy old man, but he was on a season with the Onions, a vile bunch of people (whose terribleness was unfortunately mostly hidden in the edit and only revealed in the Ponderosa videos); we should remember him as a prince compared to those people!

But then there is that racist thing.  Dangit Randy.

Tocantins is pretty darn close!  16 cast members, no shuffle, merge at ten, jury at 9, final 2.  There were idols, but none of them were ever played.  There was Exile Island, though.  Which ruled.  TBH I can't get into the no-frills idea, in my mind even despite the evidence of Tocantins to the contrary, it makes the pre-merge challenges count way too much, and Pagonging too likely.

reflecting after the season, what bothered me the most about Randy was that the people he was most comfortable with were the awful onions! I didn't have a beef with the grumpy old man (one of my uncles is a grumpy old man, but he's also the sweetest person when you don't expect it, the most likely person to hear you out when you need to be, and often surprised me with a real artistic sense that I hadn't expected from him), but with whom he was most happy to be with. Then again, I changed my mind on him watching Ponderosa (do most people who vote watch these?) and I was impressed that he could not only relate to what Crystal was going through but also put their unfortunate past in the past so easily and (be the only one to) reach out to her. (Ponderosa is also where I started to fiercely dislike the onions, not as contestants, but as people - particularly that guy who was in luurve with Marcus and would go with the party line even if he felt mildly uncomfortable with it - Randy, at least, had a mind of his own!!) Still, I don't think Survivor is the game from him. He might be better off finding some other curmudgeon to team up with on TAR. Maybe he is lovely on the inside, but in a game where first impressions can make or break you, he will always start with a huge (and possibly impossible to overcome) disadvantage.    

ETA: I also have the idea of random HII/no hidden II seasons, and also of a no tribe season, with the only challenges being individual - but still with random split of who goes to stay at which camp each time, to encourage alliance shuffle. 

Edited by NutMeg
  • Love 3

I finished listening to Randy on RHAP.  Fun interview, but remembering how much fun I did NOT have when he was on before and comparing it to how much fun I am not having with Abi-Maria now… I think I learned I am uncomfortable watching these damaged characters on Survivor.

Do you guys remember when Anna Nicole Smith had a reality show not long before she died? She was a mess. She seemed unaware of her surroundings and unable to carry on a conversation. The few minutes I spent watching it were filled with me going “put down the camera and get help.” It was awful.

I don’t mind the villains and backstabbers.  Load me up with all the KaosKass types you like, it’s fine. Those are people that have a strategy which doesn’t include being likable.  Maybe the it is playing that up. But when you bring out someone like Brandon Hantz or Shane Powers, it feels to me like you’re capitalizing on something broken, and I hate watching it.

Randy was the same way in his two seasons.  He said on RHAP that he was in a bad place and that he’s much better now, but as the conversation went on, he sounded more and more like the caustic misanthrope I remembered.

I know I’m only seeing the barest slice of a fraction of his life. I know it’s all heavily edited by people more interested in a story than the truth. But whatever the truth of Randy is in real life, the Randy character just makes me sad.

Abi is the same.  The TV Abi just depresses me, and CBS insisting that she’s good TV feels like exploitation. Of course it’s more complicated than that, but these are all lizard brain reactions to what I’m seeing, I guess.

I depressed myself. Back to the coffee.

(Also: As for Survivor changes, I'd love to see the auction change so that the immunity advantage and the family letters are hidden and are surprises, so everyone who sits on their cash waiting for the end gets screwed)

Edited by phlebas
  • Love 1

a) there was no point whatever to the fake idol ploy that Bob and Sugar pulled on him, and b) his acting as a colossal snarling asshole that episode was a strategem to try to get the heat on himself

I just don't agree with that, giving him a fake idol ensured that he wouldn't be scrambling and trying to save himself because he thought he was safe. Your second point confirms that, not only was he not scrambling, he was actively trying to get people to vote him out so he could be smug about it. Boy, the more I think about it, I so despise Randy, hope he's never considered again. I wish him well in life though, hope he finds a better job that he likes more than what he's doing now.

T-Bird was on the podcast this week. She is sharp and fun to listen to. I don't agree with her take on Terry but she has clearly been thinking about the game and how to play. I would love to see her back on the show.

T-Bird was on the podcast this week. She is sharp and fun to listen to. I don't agree with her take on Terry but she has clearly been thinking about the game and how to play. I would love to see her back on the show.

It's interesting you feel that way.  I'm sort of the opposite. 

I didn't remember her at all from Africa's original airing.  I rewatched it earlier this year before they announced the Second Chances thing, and found her to be a good enough player -- she did make it to #4 -- I mostly forgot her again five minutes after she got voted out.

Then Rob and Josh and Stephen and everyone else were so sure she was a shoo-in for making the cut and I did not understand it. I figured I was missing something crucial about her game that made her one of the all-timers to everyone else.  When she didn't make it and Rob & Josh were stunned, i was all "ah, I got it -- it wasn't just me." I figured (and to be honest, still kinda think) that she wasn't an amazing player so much as she was Rob's friend and he wasn't looking at her objectively or through the eyes of someone not steeped in the Survivor world so much.

I was kind of disappointed in her interview.  She sounds very kind and friendly, and obviously understands the game, but nothing she said struck me as insightful or showed a glimpse of an amazing Survivor brain.  I'm not trying to insult her, but she feels overpraised.

All IMHO of course.

P.S. I have similar feelings about Shane, although I at least remember him.  Not sorry to be spared that icon of "good TV"

Edited by phlebas

I'm sure that she is a 'neat lady' but I didnt bother listening to her recap for the first time this season. Even the crazies on Sucks who venerate the middle age ladies thought her analysis of the game was off.

I haven't listened but Tbird would've been one of my top girl picks had I voted.  I just watched Africa this summer and found her to be a hard-playing, pleasant, interesting person.   I wanted to see more.  

I also watched Shane's season this summer and was glad he was left behind.  I know he gave great podcasts with Rob but he was a nutjob out there on the island.  I didn't want to see him play again.  

I honestly didn't remember T-Bird at first, then I did when it was mentioned that she was the one that threw a hinky vote against Lex, and he went insane. Still, I voted for her every time after watching her campaign video, loved her enthusiasm for the game. 

Apropos of nothing....

I've been working my way through The Evolution of Strategy and just got to the beginning of Survivor China.

I can't believe I'd forgotten about Chicken Morris! DAYUM!

If you don't remember, Chicken was an older guy who'd worked with poultry most of his life until he got pecked by a radioactive chicken and inherited the vast chicken powers to help fight cri---.... DAYUM!

Starting over. Chicken was an older guy who'd worked with poultry most of his life, earning him his nickname. On Survivor, he was making suggestions on how to build the shelter, and he did give the impression that he knew what he was doing. But he thought he was irritating his tribe so he backed off and wouldn't give advice on anything, even when asked. It was like he was terrified of being thought a leader, so he would just say "whatever you want to do is okay with me." But Peih Gee v1.0 wasn't having that crap and decided he was useless if he wasn't going to share what he knew.

So she engineered his ouster over Ashley, the WWE wrestler how had gotten sick but hadn't yet recovered and couldn't do much.  At TC when Jeff says "The first person voted out of Survivor China... Chicken" he lets loose with a loud DAMN! that visibly startles the rest of the tribe. He stomps out of the games and into our hearts (although obviously not into my own long-term memory).

Here's to you, Chicken -- your accidental comedy potential was squelched before it's time.

Dayum.

ETA: Reading through this, it sounds like a eulogy.  As far as I know, Chicken Morris is alive and well in Virginia. The Survivor Wiki says he has four dogs. I hope he goes into state politics.

Edited by phlebas
  • Love 7

That made me wonder what a "no tribe" game would look like.

Just start with the merge and individual play. It might even work better with all new players.

But everyone on the same beach trying to build a massive shelter and HIIs galore in the beginning with no HIIs toward the later part of the game.

I think it would inspire more "Lord of the Flies" type behavior. Especially if they weren't fed much and the rewards were off-beach meals.

I've thought a lot about a 'no tribe' game as well.  But the way I picture it, rather than start off with a merge type game, randomly draw teams for each IC.  I think that would make strategizing very interesting.  It could be any combination of people going to TC, and likely never the same combination twice.  It would also make the social game interesting.  Alliances straight out of the gate would have less impact because who knows who's voting and who will be at risk.  And it will change every 3 days.  And you'd better be nice to everyone!  But not so nice that your likeability becomes a threat.  Then when they get to regular merge numbers, go to individual immunity.  Things would change so much it would be totally unpredictable.  SURVIVOR please do this!

• Love 1

I think the show could use a shake up, and its why I'd be fine having an individual game right off the bat or, instead of a tribe swap, have the merge start at 16.  The individual portion is a lot more interesting, imo, and there might not be alliances that get so set in stone if a particular tribe goes on a winning streak.  I know there's the saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', but Survivor is very routine.  Sure, they can throw things in there like extra votes and power idols to try and shake things up.  But everyone knows, you start off with 2-3 tribes, there's a tribe swap, there's the merge.  Sometimes people flip, other times people are afraid to because certain individuals keep bellowing "flippers never win!" because they won't have a game if you do.  

While it would probably be confusing as heck to a viewer, I'd be fine with them constantly shaking things up.  Start off as an individual game, then go to tribes, then back to individual.  It might make people actually have to play the game, rather than get in an alliance and just go along for the ride, hoping by not doing anything the jury will reward you since you didn't backstab anybody.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

The problem as I have seen it before with the "random tribes every week" or "no tribes at all" ideas is that I think both of these will result in instant annihilation for any and all big strong "challenge threats", and I don't think any of the producers want that.  But the reason they're not typically targeted before the merge is that they're wanted for challenges.  Even in the random tribes idea, there is no benefit whatever to keeping them, because tomorrow they may be on the opposite tribe.

Personally rather than one big tribe I prefer little tribes (3 works well for me; those 4-tribe openings they used in Cook Islands and Panama never quite worked)  Imagine 20 people playing individually with no tribe; there's just wayyyy too much room to hide.  I like little tribes because there's no way to avoid the target without actively making an effort to do so, and every player on the tribe is a factor.

Edited by KimberStormer

KimberStormer they could try it on a Survivor: Weaklings Edition.  Lol  I would still like to see how it plays out.  Doesn't matter to me if strong players are targeted any more than it matters to me when older players are targeted.  That happens on the regular (in newbie seasons) and production doesn't seem to give much of a shit.  But we know what a boner Probst gets over alpha types.