Type keyword(s) to search

The Show: Sad Pibbles and Happy Tails

Yeah, she hurt her knee and had to have surgery, then had complications from the surgery - including a clot - that sent her back into hospital, then she had to have one or two more surgeries, and she was out of commission from the injury for quite a while.  (It was probably discussed in the Family thread.)

• Love 3

I was only checking in during breaks in a football game, but it seemed to just be repeats of two Earl-centric episodes rather than a special -- was there any new footage I missed?  I like and respect him so much, and wish him the best.

They're airing the first episode right now, and it's really something to see Mondo as a recent parolee/new employee.  He really turned his life around, and it just kills me that our criminal justice system has basically forgotten about the rehabilitation prong of its purpose so that there are so few opportunities for employers like Tia and employees like Mondo to connect and make things better for everyone, including society in general.

This show is so important for its impact on viewers' attitudes towards pit bulls, and towards parolees.  I've introduced more than one animal lover with a disturbing attitude towards the incarcerated/paroled to this show, and watched them get sucked in via their compassion for the dogs and emerge with a new understanding and respect for the formerly incarcerated struggling to make their way.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
On 11/10/2016 at 2:49 AM, crimsongrl said:

This is late but there was no new footage or even an update!

I see there's a marathon on Saturday of season 7 but the episodes aren't in order. Ugh.

I wonder what's going on ?!?? 

Wow.  I knew Tia broke her leg but I had no idea how bad it was.  Too bad the family with 6 kids didn't want 2 dogs.  Both dogs were perfect for that family.  The one that was adopted is going to have a great life.

• Love 5

I wouldn't liked to see the large family take both dogs, too. Sigh. Such incremental progress with adoptions and still more animals coming in than going out.

Poor Tia. It's depressing to be laid up but must be even more so for someone who's usually so active and has so many people and animals relying on her.

I'm curious if other people enjoy the segments on catching loose dogs -- there's one almost every episode so I guess they're exciting/tense? They bore me and I fast forward, but maybe I'm an outlier.

• Love 1

Vlad struck far too close to home.  Less than a year ago, my then 11 y/o Am Staff was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor in her ear flap.  She needed a pinnectomy (amputation of the ear flap), but before I subjected her to it, I wanted to test for metastasis (rather than post-op, as the vet recommended).  She had a battery of tests, they checked her heart, lungs, abdominal organs, etc.  All clean.

So she had the surgery, the tumor was low grade, and all her margins were clear.  There was no reason to expect any recurrence.  About six weeks ago she went into severe distress one night.  By the time I got her to the emergency vet she was critical and about to code.  She was hemorrhaging, and most likely in DIC - probably another mast cell issue.  I immediately decided to put her down and the vet assured me that there was no reason to disbelieve my personal vet.  She said this could have happened even though all of the tumor was removed and her margins were clear.

So I worry that Mariah may have given misleading info to Vlad's parents.  I realize she was simply relaying what she was told, and it was second-hand from the vet, but it made me a little uncomfortable.  Hopefully Vlad's people will research mast cell tumors and get Vlad insured (my pet insurance was awesome - even paid for the majority of the euthanasia fee). 

Now I'm missing my Maya again.  I would post a pic if I could.  She was a beautiful buff color, and was adorable with only one ear.

I'm so glad Earl is doing well.  It's heart breaking that the surgery to end his chronic pain led to an addiction to pain medicine.

• Love 5

My heart broke for Earl. Either remain in pain every day or succumb to prescription drug addiction. I was glad to see him back in his house; was afraid he might have lost it being away for 3 months. It would be nice if he's able to transition more into office work at VRC -- processing adoptions, answering calls, etc.

Vlad seemed a little bit excitable for a small NY apartment, but the adoptive couple were so open and happy with him. I wish them the best.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3
On 11/19/2016 at 7:31 PM, RedheadZombie said:

Vlad struck far too close to home.  Less than a year ago, my then 11 y/o Am Staff was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor in her ear flap.  She needed a pinnectomy (amputation of the ear flap), but before I subjected her to it, I wanted to test for metastasis (rather than post-op, as the vet recommended).  She had a battery of tests, they checked her heart, lungs, abdominal organs, etc.  All clean.

So she had the surgery, the tumor was low grade, and all her margins were clear.  There was no reason to expect any recurrence.  About six weeks ago she went into severe distress one night.  By the time I got her to the emergency vet she was critical and about to code.  She was hemorrhaging, and most likely in DIC - probably another mast cell issue.  I immediately decided to put her down and the vet assured me that there was no reason to disbelieve my personal vet.  She said this could have happened even though all of the tumor was removed and her margins were clear.

So I worry that Mariah may have given misleading info to Vlad's parents.  I realize she was simply relaying what she was told, and it was second-hand from the vet, but it made me a little uncomfortable.  Hopefully Vlad's people will research mast cell tumors and get Vlad insured (my pet insurance was awesome - even paid for the majority of the euthanasia fee). 

Now I'm missing my Maya again.  I would post a pic if I could.  She was a beautiful buff color, and was adorable with only one ear.

I'm so glad Earl is doing well.  It's heart breaking that the surgery to end his chronic pain led to an addiction to pain medicine.

I am so sorry for your loss, RedheadZombie.

• Love 3
On 11/19/2016 at 10:31 PM, RedheadZombie said:

Oh dear, I'm so sorry RHZ. :(  My heart breaks for you, sounds like Maya was very loved.    

Of course, let's wish the best for Mr. Vlad.   The 3 of them definitely looked like a cozy, happy family.  I'm sure he was overjoyed to be home and will calm down a bit.   HOWEVER...... THE FIRST thing I would do is change his name !!!   Ugh, not only for a Russian dictator,  but makes me think of Vlad the Impaler. Eek.  Horrible name for such a sweet boy. 

• Love 2

I wonder how adoptions are actually handled at VRC. I'm pretty sure nobody is limited to three dogs selected at random and must make a decision based on that. Do most shelters have potential adopters walk through the kennel areas?

People go to shelters after seeing a particular animal online but that seems iffy to me, especially if they need to drive in from a few states away. We've seen just with the staff how different animals bond with different humans. It's not a science. Although a research paper would be interesting to read.

I saw this announcement about new meet and greet opportunities since public tours at the kennel have been discontinued. It mentioned that vet bills last year were $463K. Yowza. It must cost several million a year to keep the place running. I imagine the paid staff don't make that much, either.

The dog that was given away -- I understand Lizzie being upset but her anger seemed maybe a little out of proportion? Just considering all the horrific abuse and mistreatment and animals on death's door that they rescue. I don't think this guy had actually hurt the dog.

Edited by lordonia
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I am so sorry for your loss, RedheadZombie.

3 hours ago, jnymph said:

Oh dear, I'm so sorry RHZ. :(  My heart breaks for you, sounds like Maya was very loved.    

Of course, let's wish the best for Mr. Vlad.   The 3 of them definitely looked like a cozy, happy family.  I'm sure he was overjoyed to be home and will calm down a bit.   HOWEVER...... THE FIRST thing I would do is change his name !!!   Ugh, not only for a Russian dictator,  but makes me think of Vlad the Impaler. Eek.  Horrible name for such a sweet boy. 

Thank you both, so much.  I find that I'm craving seeing bully breeds in the worst way.  There's nothing more adorable than a pit puppy.  The best breed!!  I've never had the courage to be present when a beloved pet was put down.  I had no choice this time, and I do not regret it.  I was surprisingly stoic when I whispered in her ear that she was going to be alright and I loved her, but my poor mother fell apart.  They were kindred spirits.   I've never saved ashes because it felt a little morbid, but I did this time and even paid for Maya's ashes alone.  My mom plans to bury them in her garden, which Maya loved to tear apart and steal vegetables from, as well as race up and down the fence line barking like a maniac.  It's a testament to dogs that we put ourselves through this every time, then sign back up for another 10-15 years as dog companions.  Cats, too.

• Love 6

Do most shelters have potential adopters walk through the kennel areas?

VRC is lucky to have the money for the facility they have.  Most rescues are foster based, meaning the dogs live in a home of a volunteer until they are adopted out.  Here, many rescues are partnered with Petco or Petsmart and several dogs will be at adoption events so potential adopters have the opportunity to meet several dogs.  However that can be misleading as to behavior because the dogs are in a strange place, strange smells, people poking at them through the crate, etc...You really never know until you get a dog home and live with them for a few weeks.

As to why Lizzie was so pissed off at the guy giving the dog away, it is because when you work in rescue, you see SO many lazy people whose dog does something that could be worked on and corrected - very easily in most cases - just give up on their dog and throw it in someone's yard, abandon it at the county/city shelter, shoot it, dump it in the country, etc...The anger is born out of frustration with people who have such cavalier attitudes about acquiring a dog then expecting it to be some kind of china figurine that never makes a mess or needs training etc...Plus, he just threw that poor dog over someone's fence, just passing the problem on to someone else  who has to take responsibility for cleaning up that owner's mess by training the dog, spending money on vetting the dog, finding a foster home or space in the rescue for the dog while trying to find it a home, etc...HOwever, that guy was a huge dick and I'm glad VRC was able to get the dog.  He reminded me a little girl pittie I lived next door to, and I loved her so much.   The anger comes from the fact that adoptions only make a dent in the never ending supply of strays and abandoned dogs.  They just NEVER stop coming, even with outreach programs and public education and everything else.  It's lovely to see these dogs gets homes, but the majority of rescue work is sad and disheartening and really makes you hate people in general for the unimaginable things you see them do to innocent animals.

• Love 9

I'm so glad this show is back on the air, not just for my enjoyment, but for VRC since their donations all but disappear when the show isn't airing; out of sight, out of mind. 

The first episode didn't even get into some of what Tia went through with that injury and its initial complications.  (My friend who uses Facebook kept me updated on Tia's posts.)   Lucky and Jethro took good care of her, though.

Rupert is the Uncle Jethro of the city - only not insane, heh.  Nice to see him work his magic on Phantom.  And it was so cute to see Phantom settle down at the vet's office.

I'd rather sit on an ice floe for an hour than spend five minutes in that house with six kids, but Tara is perfect for it; that seems like an ideal fit.  I felt a little bad for that one little boy, though, that he can't have Seville as his own dog (which, maybe if there were about half as many kids in that family, he could), because they adored each other.  But he's just happy to have a dog; they all are, and seem like they'll be good owners.

In the second episode, Vlad is adorable!  And nicely fashionable in his coat for Manhattan.  I like that the owners didn't want to wait on the test results or see a picture of his Frankenstein scar, and even when they found out it was a mast cell, they just wanted to make sure this wasn't going to be a monthly, expensive occurrence -- he's already their dog, they just don't physically have him yet (as further evidenced by her saying, "I'm so happy you're home").  They're going to have to be vigilant looking for other tumors, but hopefully all goes well.  I'm sorry about Maya, RedheadZombie.

Fuck that guy who dumped the dog.  I worked on myself years ago to avoid snap judgments against those who surrender their pet to a shelter; there are still far too many who do it because the animal has simply become inconvenient to them, but there are also those whose lives have taken a bad turn, they've unsuccessfully tried to get friends/family to take the pet, and they're out of options.  You throw your dog over a neighbor's fence because he peed on your damn X-Box (and elsewhere, so, gee, maybe there's an infection you should deal with -- and maybe you should put your X-Box down occasionally and take the dog out) so you don't want him anymore?  And just stand there like the total asshole you are and shrug your shoulders as if it's a completely normal thing to do?  You'd better thank your lucky stars you dealt with Lizzie rather than with me.

It's different - as a viewer, and I'm sure as a rescuer - to see only the results of a bad owner, and to also stand there hearing directly from an unrepentant bad owner. So, given the strength of my reaction, I'm not surprised by Lizzie's.

I'm happy to see Earl again!  I felt for him feeling a little strange and embarrassed his first day back at work, and wanting to make sure people heard his story, not rumors.  Addiction is such a terrible disease, and so hard to live with.  I wish him the best. 

• Love 7

@Bastet, I follow Tia, the rescue and most of the kids and crew on Facebook and I haven't seen that donations drop off or slow down at all when the show isn't airing.  All Tia has to do is post "we could use XYZ" then the next day she posts that they are now over run with xyz and don't need anymore.  I'm not saying you're wrong, I just haven't seen anything from the ones I follow that shows that they slow down during hiatus. I hope they don't. From what I see on Facebook she has a fiercely loyal following that she can really count on to donate and help out. 

I usually adopt a human family for the holidays but this year I'm doing animals.  I sent a donation to VillaLobos and I had a blanket drive and we sent 4 boxes of blankets to them.   We're donating to local shelters as well but I really wanted to help VillaLobos. This show has changed the way I feel about pit bulls, I still don't want to own one, I prefer Border Collies but the show has made me not fear them and think people are crazy for having them like I used to. 

• Love 4

She's talked about it quite a few times; it's what leads to the increased "we need X,Y,Z" posts during hiatus.  I'll try to do a search and post some links tomorrow; otherwise, it will be after Thanksgiving (I leave Wednesday morning, and it's busy here!).

I love that you're "adopting" animals this year as the beneficiaries of your generosity.  Four boxes of blankets is great!  VRC is my charity through Amazon Smile, but I have several ethical objections to Amazon so I only order from them when it's the only convenient choice, so it doesn't add up to much.  I give VRC a monthly donation, again not all that much because I have so many organizations I want to support on a monthly basis, and then I try to kick in with extra during the hiatus months when they're in extra need.  They're doing so much, so well, with so little, I want to help however I can.

• Love 4
On 11/21/2016 at 0:06 PM, lordonia said:

The dog that was given away -- I understand Lizzie being upset but her anger seemed maybe a little out of proportion? Just considering all the horrific abuse and mistreatment and animals on death's door that they rescue. I don't think this guy had actually hurt the dog.

I think that Lizzie was most upset about the way the guy gave her(him?) up. He didn't try to find her a good home, nor did he take her to a shelter, or even tie her to the gate at Villalobos, all of which seem to indicate that you actually were concerned about what might happen to the dog afterwards. He simply put her over the fence in a neighbor's yard. In many cases, that might have resulted in the owner simply opening the gate to get the dog away from her home and the dog being left lose in the street. And then to walk up without shame or concern and say "yeah, I did it - because he peed on my X-Box" which is a pretty lame excuse for tossing your dog out unceremoniously - I think Lizzie just snapped.

• Love 4

adoptions are rare from Vialobos because they are expecting all pets have a perfect place to live rather than the perfect owner. I have adopted several times now, I live in a house but don't have a fenced in Yard, mostly because of where the buildings are located and the driveway and walkways and the cost for such a large property. They never would have allowed me to adopt, but I am a good owner, who trains there dog and find solutions to problems, like the dog would not go out in the fall (acorns hitting her head or scaring her when they fall) and refuses to go out in the rain, she would just hold it until she got sick. My solution was to build the largest litter box in a kiddie pool in the basement, the dog is very happy to do her business there. there are solutions. But as I said I would never pass. This same dog, who has a lot of abuse problems, barks  most of the day, but since I live alone in a house, not a problem, I just shut the door when it gets too much.  She looks out the window and barks when she sees anything. Could not trina her, so learned to live with it.  She is my little honey and most people have learned to love her, ha ha , but if she were waiting for the perfect owner, she would have still been in the crate the shelter was keeping her because she was vicious (not). Via Lobos needs to check on the people more than checking on the site. I had long interviews. Holly I got from a "retirement farm" where they kept her in a crate all day walking her twice a day. The poor baby was 5 years old when I adopted her, and had spent most of her life in that crate. Good thing no kill shelter, bad thing stupid people running it, the dog was not vicious, she had never been socialized. Now she can go to the dog park because I socialized her a little at a time. no one drove 3 hours to check out my house, if they did I would have failed. They claimed she bit several people, I do not believe it. she has a soft mouth, when I got her she mouthed my hands a lot, took me about 1 hour to break her of that, but she never bit down. she can barely eat hard food, can't eat dental things or rawhide, because she is a hunting dog with a soft mouth, She catches birds and lets them go unharmed. She does kill mice by just holding and shaking them. 

OK, that is one of my problems with this show. 

• Love 2

Actually, while VRC requires a fenced yard for many of its dogs, we've seen them adopt to people who do not have one.  A lot of rescues have a long list of bright line rules, but - going by the adoption information on its website as well as the various adoptions shown on the series - VRC has a list of hard and fast requirements and then a much longer list of considerations that are based on the needs of the particular dog and the circumstances of the particular prospective adopter.  (I looked into it when I first started hearing good things about the rescue and its parolee program, and then again when the show took off and really put VRC on my radar.)

• Love 7

VRC has actually done on-camera adoptions to people that don't have fenced yards, the NYC adoption being one, and the lady in Seattle who adopted the older dog (name escapes me, but she had a house with an open yard and no fencing at all) being another. In both cases, the situations were acceptable because of the temperament and lifestyle of the dogs - in the NYC case, because the family was living in an apartment and in the other because the older dog didn't really like going outside and the owner said the dog would only go out to accompany her on a leash.  So I think it is far less of an issue than it sometimes may seem on casually watching episodes where they make a big deal about fenced yards.

What I've always thought is a more limiting factor is that they seem to not want to adopt out to first time dog owners. While I do get that, I also wonder if that limits them from getting good placements. I understand not wanting to do that for out-of-town adoptions, but it seems like they should be able to provide support and advice to first time local adopters that are committed to taking a pet into their homes. 

• Love 1

I imagine there are first time dog owners that can be pretty clueless. There are others that are probably over read and fussy, heh. 

The thing about not needing a fenced in yard for the city is that when you leave an apartment, you are in a hallway and should have your dog under leash, if it escapes, you just chase it down the hallway. I have had problem with workmen moving the fencing inside I have the dog behind and then holding the back door open for the dog to get out. My dog got ht by a car once when a specific workman did that more than once. Some people you talk to and they are dumb as dirt. I had the dog fenced in behind the stairs, and the guy moved looking for me when I am outside, then not move the gate back  several times. I guess I should have put the dog behind a locked door instead of a gate. Dog survived with just a bit of arthritis now 10 years later.   

I think the thing that gets me is driving across country to check. I get my dogs locally from the shelters, there are enough close to me. and one of my dogs came from NYC, so there are enough dogs close enough for the city people as well, and they could have tried fostering dogs to get their perfect match. To me people who have not had a dog in an apartment in the city are high risk of returning them or abandoning it. 

• Love 4

When that woman said they assumed the old dog died because they can't find him, I was hoping that foreshadowed him turning up.  That poor woman, in ill health, carrying one heavy dog under each arm.  I'm glad they included the conversation between Suzanne and Dr. Kristen about how fast it happens, because so many people don't understand that and thus sit and grouse, "Why didn't they get out sooner?"

I'm glad Cypress Lake was able to get up and running again so quickly.  I can just imagine Dr. Kristen helping at a nearby shelter, only to get the call that her clinic was flooding.  The bottom line is all the animals are okay, but I, too, would have needed to take a moment to sit and cry that the practice I spent my entire professional life building was flooded.

Tia is right that the storm got less national news coverage than previous ones that caused the same amount of damage.  I saw a little bit on PBS NewsHour, but when I mentioned it to a friend who watches cable news, she hadn't heard anything about it.

What I've always thought is a more limiting factor is that they seem to not want to adopt out to first time dog owners.

I don't blame them for being nervous when it comes to adopting a pit out to a first-time owner.  Tia has said (about first-time owners), "you have to start somewhere" - everyone is a first-time owner once.  But pits have been unfairly tagged with such a bad reputation, that if an owner makes a mistake and the dog gets into trouble, it will unfortunately reflect on the entire breed. 

• Love 7

Yep, this was a 5 Kleenex episode, ugh...

And Tia was dead on about the coverage. I watch a LOT of TV...and I never once heard of the floods down there (I am in Illinois). NOT ONCE...

I wonder if they did some sort of fund raiser for Cypress Lake? Because the vet said they didn't have flood insurance. So I can only imagine how much getting that place back up and running cost them...

Out of curiosity, I looked at Cypress Lake Animal Hospital on Google maps and they are 6 miles from the nearest river and no other major water sources near them. There is a creek behind them and that looks to be it. So I can see how this was a complete surprise to them.

• Love 3

I am new to this forum and to the show.  The people on the show are quite different from everyone I know.  An opportunity for me to learn!  My question is does anyone know how to check the financial status of the organization which I understand is a non-profit charity so that I can understand how safe it is to donate to and how well the monies are handled.  This is usually (not always) public information. It must take a fortune to run their outfit!

1 hour ago, Orchidmama said:

My question is does anyone know how to check the financial status of the organization which I understand is a non-profit charity so that I can understand how safe it is to donate to and how well the monies are handled.

VRC isn't large enough to be rated by Charity Navigator, but they provide suggestions for doing research on your own. It's mostly what to look for on the charity's 990 form.

Perhaps others here may have more to offer.

• Love 1

I don't know why I think this, it's just gut instinct I guess, but VRC is one of the places I donate to that I don't worry about how the money is being spent.  

I think this is one of the rare reality shows that is actual reality. I think the people are exactly who they say they are and I firmly believe every penny donated goes to the dogs.  On other boards I've seen people saying things about all of the "toys" they all have, especially the twins but I don't see that. It seems like Mo and Kanani (not sure of spelling) can take crap and fix it and make it into something usable. I don't think donations to VRC go to their personal gain. I donate money to them twice a year and when I come across extras I send blankets as they say on Facebook that's what they need most.  I also donate to my local shelter and the Border Collie rescue I got my baby girl from.  VRC and the BC rescue are the ones I feel most comfortable donating to, the others I always wonder if it's really helping the dogs directly. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I don't know why I think this, it's just gut instinct I guess, but VRC is one of the places I donate to that I don't worry about how the money is being spent.  

I think this is one of the rare reality shows that is actual reality. I think the people are exactly who they say they are and I firmly believe every penny donated goes to the dogs.  On other boards I've seen people saying things about all of the "toys" they all have, especially the twins but I don't see that. It seems like Mo and Kanani (not sure of spelling) can take crap and fix it and make it into something usable. I don't think donations to VRC go to their personal gain. I donate money to them twice a year and when I come across extras I send blankets as they say on Facebook that's what they need most.  I also donate to my local shelter and the Border Collie rescue I got my baby girl from.  VRC and the BC rescue are the ones I feel most comfortable donating to, the others I always wonder if it's really helping the dogs directly. 

I agree. While I think all the kids bought cars and houses with their show money, they purchased homes in a relatively inexpensive part of the country and then did a ton of work to upgrade them (look at the old episodes of Kanani and Mo's home before they brought Cheech and Chong there) and purchased Jeeps and trucks used at the rescue, not Benzes and fancy German sports cars. I follow VRC on FB and they said that costs to run the current operation (the main shelter in NO, Assumption Parish and several smaller satellites) are close to $495k per year. Given what we've seen of their homes and lifestyles I'd completely buy that the vast majority of the money goes back to the animals and that they put most of the money from their outside ventures (the bar, merchandising, training classes, and various other one off projects) back into the rescue as well. 

• Love 5
On 11/30/2016 at 0:56 PM, Rlb8031 said:

Given what we've seen of their homes and lifestyles I'd completely buy that the vast majority of the money goes back to the animals and that they put most of the money from their outside ventures (the bar, merchandising, training classes, and various other one off projects) back into the rescue as well. 

That seems clear, yes.  The outside ventures and the show are the only reason they're still operating (and the reason Tia is always brainstorming for ways to make money); Tia grew up with money, and made good money as an animal trainer/handler in the entertainment industry, but rescue costs - and Aren's defense - ate that up in a hurry, and donations are vital but don't keep the rescue in the black on their own.  These people work night and day and are entitled to a salary and company vehicles, and I see no indication they're taking more than is reasonable.

I'm so happy Tanga got a home, and in a mostly storm-free environment.  His butt up in the air position on the VRC couch as he got his fill of snuggles was cute enough, and then he explored his new home, selected a ball out of the toy box, and took it over to his dog bed to roll around with.  Adorable!  They all take particular joy in a senior/long-time resident getting a home, but Tania especially, so it was nice for her and Perry to be the ones to deliver him. 

Tanga is who I would have chosen, too, on the "who needs me most?" theory.  He'd never had a home, he was living in a storm-prone area with severe storm anxiety, etc.  Whomever she'd chosen would have been wonderful; I will never tire of stating my admiration for those who adopt seniors.  I almost always adopt adults (cats), Riley was six, Chester was eight, but the rest were about three.  I hope to someday be emotionally able to walk into a shelter and adopt someone with just a year or three left.

I knew they'd name the mama dog after Wanda.  I'm so glad she's now in a safe environment and given the food, water, and rest she needs to put some meat on her bones after all her resources went to sustaining her puppies.

It was nice to get to know a new parolee, especially as the show has shifted focus away from parolees over the years.  I really like getting to know these guys, and seeing how they respond to the dogs.  It's moving to hear someone say this is the first time he's ever received praise from a boss. 

A friend sent me this news from the VRC Facebook page: X-Box (from a couple of episodes ago) has been adopted.

• Love 7
On 11/21/2016 at 0:41 PM, shirazplease said:

VRC is lucky to have the money for the facility they have.  Most rescues are foster based, meaning the dogs live in a home of a volunteer until they are adopted out.  Here, many rescues are partnered with Petco or Petsmart and several dogs will be at adoption events so potential adopters have the opportunity to meet several dogs.  However that can be misleading as to behavior because the dogs are in a strange place, strange smells, people poking at them through the crate, etc...You really never know until you get a dog home and live with them for a few weeks.

As to why Lizzie was so pissed off at the guy giving the dog away, it is because when you work in rescue, you see SO many lazy people whose dog does something that could be worked on and corrected - very easily in most cases - just give up on their dog and throw it in someone's yard, abandon it at the county/city shelter, shoot it, dump it in the country, etc...The anger is born out of frustration with people who have such cavalier attitudes about acquiring a dog then expecting it to be some kind of china figurine that never makes a mess or needs training etc...Plus, he just threw that poor dog over someone's fence, just passing the problem on to someone else  who has to take responsibility for cleaning up that owner's mess by training the dog, spending money on vetting the dog, finding a foster home or space in the rescue for the dog while trying to find it a home, etc...HOwever, that guy was a huge dick and I'm glad VRC was able to get the dog.  He reminded me a little girl pittie I lived next door to, and I loved her so much.   The anger comes from the fact that adoptions only make a dent in the never ending supply of strays and abandoned dogs.  They just NEVER stop coming, even with outreach programs and public education and everything else.  It's lovely to see these dogs gets homes, but the majority of rescue work is sad and disheartening and really makes you hate people in general for the unimaginable things you see them do to innocent animals.

Last week, someone I taught with for nearly 20 years posted on Facebook that she was getting rid of her 8-year-old chihuahua because she didn't "have time to care for him properly," and she wanted recommendations for no-kill shelters in the area.  My jaw probably dented the floor as it dropped! As my daughter said, odds are pretty good that dog would much prefer being comfortable in a home, even if alone too much, than being cooped up in a shelter!  Our area does not have very fancy shelters, so that poor dog is definitely going to take a big step down in its standard of living.  And I have lost all respect for someone I've known and always gotten along well with.  I'm not in a position to take the dog, and my heart just aches for him.  The capacity humans have for casual cruelty to children and animals never ceases to disgust me. 

• Love 3

Maybe I'm in a sensitive mood or something, but BJ's adoption was extra sweet and touching. Her new owner getting choked up made me want to give her a hug.

That Detroit shelter was amazing! I'm in awe of the owners being able to keep that up, plus it's always welcome to see a skinhead change his world view.

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Maybe I'm in a sensitive mood or something, but BJ's adoption was extra sweet and touching. Her new owner getting choked up made me want to give her a hug.

That Detroit shelter was amazing! I'm in awe of the owners being able to keep that up, plus it's always welcome to see a skinhead change his world view.

Yea it was :).

So am I. I'm glad that they were able to do what they could do so far. Word. It's good to see someone change for the better.

• Love 4

Holy shit -- seeing a former skinhead, of all people, talk about how having to eat what he'd fed caused him to wake the hell up, and how all the good he'll do in the world won't erase the hate he carried out, was exactly what I needed right now. 

The Detroit segment helped illustrate just how overwhelming the problem is.  I think the scope doesn't always get clearly illustrated on the show (possibly because the audience would want to go jump off something if it was repeatedly driven home), so I like anything that remotely hints at how.fucking.many homeless pets there are in this country alone, in far greater numbers than there are homes for them (best estimates [as there is no central database] indicate anywhere from 4 to 7 million animals are euthanized in U.S. shelters each year simply for lack of space/adopters), and how particularly dire it is for pits.

The kissing booth!  I actually hate big doggy kisses (I know, sorry, but their tongues are big and slobbery as compared to cats, whose kisses I love), but that's an adorable idea and I'd totally get licked under those circumstances. 

It's always nice to see someone choose to adopt rather than buy from a breeder ("don't shop, adopt"), and P.J. is adorable!  The adopter touched my heart crying about losing her two dogs within two months (to the day!) of each other, the second one being completely unexpected as a result of a post-op infection that couldn't be controlled.  I've probably mentioned this before, but there as a chunk of less than a year - and I think right about six months - when my mom's best friend lost every single one of her pets (several cats and a dog).  She's gone on to love and be loved by more pets, but she never truly got over that (and how could you?).

I must publicly confess I used to - long ago - judge people who got a new pet shortly after losing one; because I needed a fair bit of time in between, I myopically regarded doing it quickly as "replacing" the dead pet.  Thankfully, I got over my damn self, and seeing people like P.J.'s adopter always reminds me of how fucking stupid I was.

So, if they pick up a stray and then find it's owner, they do a home check to see if they will return the dog?  Seems a little overreaching.  

Given the circumstances to which we've seen them return found dogs - Roscoe to the backwoods guy living in a shack, Beast to the homeless woman squatting in a hotel, and less extreme examples - it seems they take a very realistic approach to determining whether a lost dog would be better off with her/his owner or with them, and generally conclude the former; their goal is to reunite unless it's unequivocally not in the dog's best interest.  They ascertained how Diamond got out, and since it was the result of an accident rather than assholery, they happily returned her (and worked with the owner to identify and make some improvements that could be made to avoid a similar accident in future).  Nothing but applause from me.

• Love 6

So the Detroit rescue has to move because of failure to get a kennel license and proper dog licensing after complaints from neighbors.  Maybe they should do what they're supposed to do and get the necessary licensing instead of trying to get away with something and crying boohoo when they get caught.

11 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

So the Detroit rescue has to move because of failure to get a kennel license and proper dog licensing after complaints from neighbors.  Maybe they should do what they're supposed to do and get the necessary licensing instead of trying to get away with something and crying boohoo when they get caught.

Maybe it was monetary related. That could certainly cause an issue with getting a kennel license and proper dog licensing. It costs a lot of money to feed and house/shelter dogs. Bottom line, we don't know exactly what the reason was.

• Love 2

If they couldn't get the money for licensing then they shouldn't have opened a rescue.  I know of many residential rescues that operate on a shoestring budget and they did what they needed to do to get the proper paperwork and permits.  Plus they don't overflow their houses with dogs.  I don't care how quiet and clean it is, 60 is WAY too many for that space.  The people have to live in the basement because the dogs have taken over the rest of the house?  That's a huge red flag right there.  Those poor dogs stuck in crates for most of the day, apparently some for years.  That's not a rescue, that's dog hoarding. 

For that former skinhead to equate dog breed "prejudice" with the systematic racial injustice of humans is really fucking insulting. 

2 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

If they couldn't get the money for licensing then they shouldn't have opened a rescue.  I know of many residential rescues that operate on a shoestring budget and they did what they needed to do to get the proper paperwork and permits.  Plus they don't overflow their houses with dogs.  I don't care how quiet and clean it is, 60 is WAY too many for that space.  The people have to live in the basement because the dogs have taken over the rest of the house?  That's a huge red flag right there.  Those poor dogs stuck in crates for most of the day, apparently some for years.  That's not a rescue, that's dog hoarding. 

For that former skinhead to equate dog breed "prejudice" with the systematic racial injustice of humans is really fucking insulting. 

Could be. We don't know the situation fully (in regards to the rescue).

• Love 1
On 12/11/2016 at 2:59 AM, GreyBunny said:

From what I know of Detroit, this may be a case of someone who started out doing something good, and then got caught in a bunch of bureaucracy. Detroit's got entire neighborhoods where city services have been limited or eliminated (no streetlights, no repairs to streets or infrastructure, etc.). From the story, it doesn't seem that they purchased the house with the intent of setting up a kennel there, but that they started rescuing and then eventually hit the number of dogs that required them to be licensed as a kennel. Then they discovered that they couldn't get the business license for a property in a residential neighborhood. Those kinds of rules exist to stop people from opening up businesses in facilities that aren't suitable, or bringing commercial type traffic into a neighborhood. The problem in a lot of places is that this couple is actually providing a service that the city should be encouraging, but there isn't a mechanism for making exceptions or short circuiting rules. I remember several years ago Animal Planet had a show about the huge feral dog problem in Detroit. There were packs of strays running through neighborhoods that had been abandoned. That doesn't just go away, and if someone is doing something to fix it, it should be supported by local officials.

• Love 10

I found a couple of local news articles that pretty much matched what the show said. The shelter and dogs weren't licensed but there hadn't been any complaints and the city of River Rouge pretty much looked the other way until one of the neighbors forced the issue.

I was curious about costs. A pet license in River Rouge is $6 or $12 depending whether or not the animal is fixed. Licenses also require proof of rabies vaccination; those seem to average about $20. Who knows how much a business license costs to establish a kennel or if the city would even have issued one in a residential neighborhood.

At any rate, it definitely sounds like the owners were aware they weren't in compliance. Does the end justify the means? You decide!

• Love 2