Type keyword(s) to search

The Show: Sad Pibbles and Happy Tails

I really, really wish Marcel didn't remind me of Cory Feldman when he talks. Not the asshole part of Cory, his mouth and his voice. Please forgive me Marcel! You seem like a good guy!

My black lab used to wake me up when it snowed. He thought snow was was the best thing ever. Rhett is going to love New Hampshire.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 2

I am in tears every episode.  I was in NOLA for the first time this summer for a long weekend I wish I could have visited VRC.  I wondered about Earl's arm since they talked about it a season or two ago.  Hope it helps at least get rid of the pain.  

• Love 1

I really didn't understand the events that led up to that poor old man having his dog taken away for a single incident that sounded like a minor dogfight between mismatched sized dogs.  It broke my heart to see that apparently non-aggressive dog being separated from a long time loving owner - and Tia's tears were very telling.

On the other hand, I loved seeing a swamp dog frolic in the snow and cuddle on the couch with his new owners like he was meant to be there. 

Yup, this show gives me the highs and the lows; tears of sorrow and tears of joy.  heavy sigh

• Love 2

Now that you mention it, I remember watching a show about a Southern real estate lady who rescued dogs and found screened adopters in the northern states.  She had a huge truck and driver volunteers who took "batches" of dogs up north to their new homes.  Anyone else remember this show & what it was called?

I'm just thinking of ways to make all those donated $s go a little further ..

Last Chance Highway, I think, was the name.  I wondered why it didn't get a second season because I found it pretty compelling.

• Love 1

Last Chance Highway, I think, was the name.  I wondered why it didn't get a second season because I found it pretty compelling.

Yes, I kept looking for more episodes to no avail, Calamity Jane.  I watch almost every animal rescue, rehab and vet show that comes down the pike; too many good ones disappear before they get the chance to catch fire.

I really didn't understand the events that led up to that poor old man having his dog taken away for a single incident that sounded like a minor dogfight between mismatched sized dogs. It broke my heart to see that apparently non-aggressive dog being separated from a long time loving owner - and Tia's tears were very telling.

On the other hand, I loved seeing a swamp dog frolic in the snow and cuddle on the couch with his new owners like he was meant to be there.

Yup, this show gives me the highs and the lows; tears of sorrow and tears of joy. heavy sigh

I didn't quite understand why Suzy had to be taken from her owner either. Especially since both dogs were not contained, was the Pomeranian taken as well ??? NOT FAIR when the big dog is to blame ! Poor Suzy, she seemed very sweet. I was really hoping Marcel was going to keep her.

Speaking of which, Marcel seems perfect for Mariah & VRC! Almost too good to be true, so I'm proceeding with caution. I really enjoyed the conversation Mariah & him had sitting out on the grass with Suzy. Very heartfelt

Rhett! Love him. That's my kinda dog, he reminds me of my very own sweet dog. Goofy, fun yet wanting to cuddle on the couch. So glad he's enjoying his new life. Makes my heart soar. :)

• Love 2

Is this the same boyfriend we saw with Mariah in the Christmas episode a few years ago (where they were all gathered around the table using update photos from Rita to launch into old footage)?  I doubt it, given how long ago it was.  And I think when Mariah reportedly getting engaged to her girlfriend was after that episode.  No, before.  Maybe.  Ack; I think I should stop trying to make any sort of Mariah Dating Timeline and just go watch my recording of the episode.

(I came here first to make sure there wasn’t anything in it that would make me extra angry or sad.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I'm fairly certain that was a different boyfriend for Mariah on the Christmas special

Forgot to say I really hope that doc was able to relieve Earl's pain !!!!

Yes - wasn't her bf then in an old timey band, and had different tattoos?  ;-)

There's nothing worse than your last chance surgeon telling you that surgery won't restore your function.  At least Earl's surgeon thinks he can alleviate the chronic pain - sometimes even that would be enough.  :-(

The story with Susie upset me.  Yes, Ed should have had her on a leash/on a line when she was outside.  The neighbors should have had their Pomeranian similarly contained.  If either one had done that, this wouldn’t have happened.  The Pom wouldn’t have been attacked, and Susie wouldn’t have been removed.  So it’s just sad all around.

We don’t know what happened, obviously.  Maybe Susie was resource guarding Ed, maybe she was defending him when the Pomeranian came at his feet.  But it does seem she just got caught up in something, and got labeled “aggressive” probably just by being the bigger dog.  I think it’s a shame she was ordered removed.  It seems clear from VRC’s evaluation that Susie isn't aggressive, but there was nothing in place to determine that prior to ordering her removed.  The sheriff – who probably knows jack all about dog behavior – says she has to go, the AC officer – who’s a one-man band – has to comply, done.

It was so sad when Tia said we rescue animals in the hopes of finding them a home with someone who’ll love them the way Ed loves Susie.  And now here she is having to remove a dog from a loving home.  What are the odds of Susie finding a new home?  They have so many dogs for people to choose from, she’s a bit shell-shocked and has to work through her fear and confusion with all these changes, however overstated it may be, she does have this history that’s always going to have to be disclosed ...  Tia and crew will do the best they can, but Susie was much better off at home (as they’d be the first to say).  It’s just so sad.

Rhett not even noticing he was walking on snow cracked me up, and him falling asleep on the couch with his owners was just adorable.  I wish they’d put up a fence, but nothing is perfect; they’re going to give him a great life.

I wonder what Earl’s prognosis would have been had he had proper medical care at the time of his injury.  The surgery and recovery time are a lot for him to go through to not even regain use of his arm, but just trying to imagine being in constant pain at the level he must be feeling it … I’m wary of anyone messing with my spine, but I’m sure I’d go for it, too.  I hope he gets some relief. 

That house we saw him leaving is a different one than the one we saw him buy, isn’t it?  I thought maybe he was staying with someone in Florida and going to get the pre-op testing done in that area, but it looked like New Orleans.

• Love 3

Earl had to have had the surgery by now.   I wonder if I can google around to see if he gained some pain relief.   I will try and report back. :)

The whole Suzy thing was indeed very upsetting.   I just wonder if Tia could do some 'behind the scenes' work to get Suzy back to her owner.  Maybe he could move that trailer to a different spot ?  And none would be the wiser?    What's to prevent him (Suzy's owner) from adopting from VRC again?   Was there any kind of court order to prevent him from owning dogs again?  I'm not 100% sure but I thought I saw another animal in that trailer.     I don't know.  I am just wishing and thinking out loud.  Would love to see Suzy go home.  :(  She is very sweet. :(

ETA:

link to Earl's facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/EarlMoffettFanPage

Sounds like he had the surgery and is fighting the battle, but no real clear answers found.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 1

It appeared to me that Ed went over to the owner of the Pomeranian's trailer, knocked on the door, and when the door opened the Pomeranian ran out and barked at Ed's feet, defending its territory.  Then Ed's dog attacked the Pom and injured it and the police were rightfully called. 

I'd like to hear owner of the Pomeranian's side of the story.  Ed's lucky he doesn't have to pay the Pom's vet bills.  Perhaps this dog has attacked before and is aggressive and dangerous around other dogs or animals.  

Edited by GreyBunny

Around here, the police would laugh if they got called for that.  "So you both had your dogs unsecured outside?  Tough lesson, then.  If you want to sort out percentage of fault in civil court to try for reimbursement of vet bills, knock yourself out."  But no one would be impounding a dog over that.  Unless it was a pit, of course; then people lose their minds and don't bother trying to learn what happened.

Susie didn't exhibit any signs of aggression around other dogs at VRC's satellite location.  It may be different with strangers than with Ed, though; maybe she had crazy defensive or resource guarding tendencies when it came to other dogs around him (not other people, it would seem, since she didn't care about Tia and crew being around him in the trailer).

I just think it's a shame there was no evaluation by anyone knowledgeable before the decision was made - the sheriff made the call, the lone AC officer had to carry it out, done.  Backwoods justice at its finest?  There's a lot we don't know, but I feel sorry for everyone involved.

• Love 2

Around here, the police would laugh if they got called for that.  "So you both had your dogs unsecured outside?  Tough lesson, then.  If you want to sort out percentage of fault in civil court to try for reimbursement of vet bills, knock yourself out."  But no one would be impounding a dog over that.  Unless it was a pit, of course; then people lose their minds and don't bother trying to learn what happened.

Same story here in South Florida. I've heard of more than 1 instance where police were called in our neighborhood over dogs.  Unless a human is involved/attacked.... they don't want to invest time in it.    

• Love 1

Sweet Jesus !!!!

Once again i am gutted. Sitting here sobbing over this last episode.

Thank god Artimus eventually was adopted or may have lost my mind!

More coherent thoughts later; going to go cuddle with my fur baby.

• Love 2

I cry every episode, and this one had me losing it. That poor momma dog, those poor puppies, Sunflower dumped like trash and then Artemis gets sent back? I hope they kept the adoption fee after having poor Mariah on the road for days. She seemed super ticked.

As for anyone getting rid of their dog, we once were told by our homeowners insurance company that our Akita mix had to go due to being a bite risk. We dumped them instead. If I were Susie's owner, my trailer would be on wheels and I'd be gone the next day. If it's a choice between my pet or a location, the pets win.

• Love 3

It has not been a particularly good day.  This episode – which I only saw in bits and pieces - wasn’t helping, especially when Artemis got returned for a bullshit reason.  Thank goodness for that final update, or I was going to go curl up in bed with a bottle of something.  But I still think I’ll wait until tomorrow to watch the whole thing.

• Love 2

The people who sent Artimus back should be banned from ever adopting any pet. What POS. I wonder if they think about sending their kids away when they seem sad. My cocker spaniel howled non stop for 5 hours the first night with me. I apologized to my neighbors for the amount of noise he made. And my neighbors were all very gracious and understanding because they knew how important it was to me. Now he prances around smiling and runs the place. Do people really believe a dog is going to be driven across the country and left with strangers and not need time to adjust? Those people make me furious! They don't deserve a dog.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 3

The adoptive family seemed a little off to me during the "meet the dogs" segment when they expected the animals to immediately bond with the entire family. And why did the daughter who was leaving for college get a say? The adoption was primarily for the son so he'd have a companion when his sister left, correct? Honestly, he seemed more frightened by then enamored with the idea.

• Love 2

What put me off about the family was that Mom & Dad were allegedly dog lovers who grew up with dogs, but their kids (one who's off to college next year) had NEVER had a pet in the house.  I was wondering why.  I also sensed something off about their dynamics with the dogs, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I am so glad Artemis found owners who adore her - I was just about to sink into another blue funk until I saw that update.

• Love 3

When they first told us about Artemis being returned really hit me. Then that update at the end made me feel so much better. I have been a volunteer at the local SPCA for 13 years. In that time I have seen poor dogs get adopted then returned for B***S*** reasons. The reasons have me wanting to go and shake the c*** out of the people. The one good thing is that the dog is no longer with a family full of stupidity.

I totally love this show because they show so much of the real side of rescue work. Yes, you have to be a sensitive person that cares for the animals and Yes, that sensitive will drive you to tears. What keeps me going is knowing that I am helping the dogs. There are many dogs now in loving homes because of my work (I photograph the dogs at the shelter and those pictures go online). I have had my heart broken many times when we lose a dog.

• Love 3

We watch Pit Bulls and Parolees with our rescue Lab curled up between us on the couch. I think it's his favorite show. After all, he gets lots of extra cuddles, kisses and treats as a result.

I am so glad that Artemis found her forever home after all. The family that initially said they wanted her and then changed their minds shouldn't be allowed to have a pet.

I also agree with the fact Villalobos allows the heartbreaking aspect of animal rescue to be shown, and the tears that fall when they've done all they can and it still isn't enough sometimes. We cry right along with them at home.

• Love 3

Now that I’ve watched the whole thing:

That poor momma dog.  I know they have a lot of work to do and just enough people to do it, but I wish two people had taken her to the vet so someone could have been in the back with her when she died.  But I’m sure Jennifer (I think that’s her name) was talking to her in comforting tones.  I’m glad the puppies were saved, and glad another rescue stepped in to take the litter – VRC needs all the help they can get.

I tried to get a read on what might have really been going on with family who adopted Artemis for 24 hours, but I gave up.  I can’t tell, and it doesn’t matter.  She’s a happy dog who seems quite adaptable, so hopefully she is blissfully ensconced in her forever home and just has some vague memory of a road trip with Mariah.  I remember when Tia rescued her, and she just walked up to the van, waited for Tia to open the door, crawled right into the crate, turned around and laid down with a look of sheer relief.  She had to wait two years and undergo one false start, but hopefully now she’s exactly where she belongs.

The second dog Artemis’ would-be adopters saw had adorable ears.  And, yay, Brandi with an i!  I swear, if it's not true that – as I read on a pet forum, from someone who said they saw it on the Facebook page of one of the parolees – Brandi finally got a home, I am going to cry.  I adore that dog, and she’s ten years old.  I want her to spend her final years as she deserves.

Matt nearly shitting his shorts when Sunflower jumped out at him was funny.  He was so busy looking for her in the weeds, he didn’t realize she was right in front of him.

I also got a good chuckle at Tia and Mariah’s conversation as Mariah headed off for Vegas.  “No getting married, no gambling away your life savings … what else do people do in Vegas?”  “I don’t think people remember most of it.”  “Thank you for that closing thought.  Goodbye, daughter.”

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

What a gut wrenching episode.

I understand they need to show the horrible side of animal rescue, but it certainly doesn't make it any easier for me to watch.

I am just glad we didn't hear the dog whimpering/crying like the new guy (awesome guy by the way) said she was. I was already bawling like a baby as it was, I didn't need to HEAR that dog being in pain.

This episode and the one where the puppy dies in her friends (can't think of her name) lap are two episodes I will NOT watch a repeat of. Once was enough. There is tearing/welling up and there is crying to the point if someone walked in while I was watching last nights episode, they would have wondered if a relative died.

Like others have said, my dogs REALLY like that I watch this show since they get extra attention during and after. Though they are spoiled rotten anyways...

And I also agree, the family from last night should NEVER be allowed to own a dog. They are the type that would abandon a dog after owning it for years (I will NEVER understand that). Seriously, giving back a dog within 24 hours because it looked sad? Every dog I have ever owned in my 41 years of existence has acted sad the first night or two.

If it wasn't for the fact Artemis actually found a home, that would have been the most heart breaking and depressing episode ever...and that is saying something.

• Love 2

I tried to get a read on what might have really been going on with family who adopted Artemis for 24 hours, but I gave up.  I can’t tell, and it doesn’t matter.  She’s a happy dog who seems quite adaptable, so hopefully she is blissfully ensconced in her forever home and just has some vague memory of a road trip with Mariah.  I remember when Tia rescued her, and she just walked up to the van, waited for Tia to open the door, crawled right into the crate, turned around and laid down with a look of sheer relief.  She had to wait two years and undergo one false start, but hopefully now she’s exactly where she belongs.

I just wonder if the family that said Artemis was "Sad" didn't have some sort of stupid argument over on adopting a dog altogether. I can't believe they could be so stupid as to think she wouldn't need a bit of time to adjust !  Give me a break.  Our current sweet fur baby took 4 days before we could even pet her and she had a depressed demeanor.   But now she is a big ol' loving happy dog and all 3 of us (mr jnymph too) are joined at the hip.

I had a bad feeling about the Dad in particular, but as you say ... no matter.   Artemis appears to be a happy adaptable dog that is adored in a forever home.   I love the episode they showed (awhile ago, not this particular episode)  where Artemis was shown helping Louise care for some puppies.   SO SWEET.   

And Tia rescuing her !  OMG.  My heart went out to both of them on that rescue.   The way she just trusted Tia and made a bee-line for that cage.....as if to say "I'm so happy you're here to help me !"      GAH. 

I was heartbroken and sobbing over the poor Momma dog that got hit by a car.  I could barely tolerate looking onscreen at it.    And that dear worker of Tia's that was hit so hard by it.  I couldn't stop crying.      Thank goodness, the puppies were saved and brought a bit of hope to the whole situation.

God I love Tia and VRC.   It's on my bucket list to visit VRC.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 2

So in my previous post I had said I don't get how someone could give up their own dog.

Well, our local online newspaper runs little ads for a no kill shelter. This weeks ad had a 4.5 year old beagle/rat terrier mix...

"She was surrendered by her guardian to a kill shelter in southern Illinois. We were not able to find out any additional information about her. She is a little shy at first but usually warms up nicely."

So her guardian had her over 4 years and then gave her to a KILL shelter. WTF? How in the world can someone do that?

Not sure if any of you watched Dr Jeff on Animal Planet, but they had an episode where someone was watching a friends dog. Their dog got in to a fight with it and bit the poor dog up pretty good. So they brought him in to Dr Jeff. They fixed him up. They could not get a hold of the owner for a long time but when they finally do...her response to them fixing her dog up? Oh, just put him to sleep. No joke, she wanted them to put that dog to sleep after they had fixed him up...

Luckily the clinic got her to sign over custody and they adopted that dog out.

Ugh...these things are why I choose to surround myself more with animals than people. :(

• Love 3

I was hoping we would have a forum for that show, I loved it. Though I am NOT fond of the graphic surgery they showed.

And yes, he is pure awesomeness. :)

I love that they help people out who can't afford vet bills (we have spent over $2k on our two dogs in the last 12 months, so I know all too well how expensive vets can be). There really needs to be more clinics like that....

• Love 2

I was hoping we would have a forum for that show, I loved it. Though I am NOT fond of the graphic surgery they showed.

And yes, he is pure awesomeness. :)

I love that they help people out who can't afford vet bills (we have spent over $2k on our two dogs in the last 12 months, so I know all too well how expensive vets can be). There really needs to be more clinics like that....

Maybe we could get a thread in the Genre section for Veterinary and Animal Rescue shows.  I watch them all, but particularly like Yukon Vet, Bionic Vet (aka SuperVet), Aloha Vet (R.I.P.), Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER, and Vet School.  There's a new one coming up about an Alaska Vet, too.

I always have to ff through any sounds of animal suffering, or the dreaded death scenes, so that poor mama dog who was hit by a car was awful for me.  I just LOSE it, and am totally unable to control my emotions.  :-(

• Love 1

Having been a volunteer for 13 (14 come February) years, I can say one thing. The day that you don't cry when a dog crosses the bridge, is the day you need to stop volunteering. It is that passion and caring that helps us help the dogs. Yes, you walk right on the ledge but that is just how it has to be. I loved a wonderful Pit mix dog at the shelter for almost a year. She and her two siblings were seized in a dog fighting ring bust. Poor Momma was all torn up. Her mouth had a huge hunk bitten off. She had far too may injuries to detail here. It was the opinion of the medical staff that she was used for breeding and used as a bait dog. She was perfect around people but hated ALL other dogs.

I would bring her into my little room that I use as the photo room and where I keep my computer. She would relax and sleep in the comfy chair I have in the room. She loved her treats so I always had a big chewy treat for her. When she saw me walk through the door she would start to howl and I mean howl. As soon as I opened her kennel door she made a beeline for the office door. That room was her safe place, free from the noise of the kennel area and she had a nice soft chair to nap.

Sadly, once the court case was completed, the shelter was faced with a hard decision. They tried for months to find a rescue group to take her. None would step up. She wasn't safe to place in a home.  Momma, Brownie, and Blackie had to be euthanized. That was a hard hard day for everybody. They had come to really care for the three. Momma was pregnant when she first arrived. She gave birth to 13 pups. Only three survived. At least Momma had that legacy. All three pups found happy forever homes.

Momma was in my lap for her last moments. I knew in my heart that I was able to give her the love that she deserved for those last months. I have her ashes on my desk as a reminder of why I do what I do. And yes, I cried all that night.

Edited by nitrofishblue
  • Love 5

Yeah, I saw that new Alaskan vet show is coming up, Dr Dee I think? Will definitely be watching that since I love animals and Alaska.

And I am the same way, I don't handle animals suffering too well.

I sometimes wonder why I watch shows like Pit Bulls and Parolees since they have gotten more and more depressing lately it seems...normally there is enough GOOD in the show to balance it out. But wow, this last episode. I keep thinking of that poor momma dog away from her puppies, bleeding to death.

Hopefully the next episode is just a TAD more uplifting :)

Wow, nitro....you have my respect. I could NOT do that.

I am not sure I could work in animal rescue. I would just be this big blubbering mess all the time...hell, reading that story started tearing me up and I don't know you or the dog.

I am just glad there are people like you around to do it though.

Edited by Jenkins
  • Love 2

I sometimes wonder why I watch shows like Pit Bulls and Parolees since they have gotten more and more depressing lately it seems...normally there is enough GOOD in the show to balance it out. But wow, this last episode. I keep thinking of that poor momma dog away from her puppies, bleeding to death.

Hopefully the next episode is just a TAD more uplifting :)

I am not sure I could work in animal rescue. I would just be this big blubbering mess all the time...hell, reading that story started tearing me up and I don't know you or the dog.

I am just glad there are people like you around to do it though.

I completely understand, Jenkins.

I worked as a volunteer at Humane Society for a few years, but felt my soul needed a "break". There was too much pain and I wasn't dealing with it to be effectively helping the dogs.     I want to get back to it though; I believe this show is inspiring me to go back.   

I am trying to get my emotions and mindset in the right place by looking at it this way:

If dogs are out there suffering (such as the one hit by the car in the latest episode), then the least I can do is bear witness to the suffering.  Then I can use the powerful emotions that come from witnessing ; to sort of "propel" me into finding the strength to help that other innocent sweet dogs do not suffer the same fate.  I like to think of the anguish I feel watching a dog suffering as "POWER JUICE" to help other dogs. 

Am I making any sense ?   I hope so. 

Having been a volunteer for 13 (14 come February) years, I can say one thing. The day that you don't cry when a dog crosses the bridge, is the day you need to stop volunteering. It is that passion and caring that helps us help the dogs. Yes, you walk right on the ledge but that is just how it has to be. I loved a wonderful Pit mix dog at the shelter for almost a year. She and her two siblings were seized in a dog fighting ring bust. Poor Momma was all torn up. Her mouth had a huge hunk bitten off. She had far too may injuries to detail here. It was the opinion of the medical staff that she was used for breeding and used as a bait dog. She was perfect around people but hated ALL other dogs.

I would bring her into my little room that I use as the photo room and where I keep my computer. She would relax and sleep in the comfy chair I have in the room. She loved her treats so I always had a big chewy treat for her. When she saw me walk through the door she would start to howl and I mean howl. As soon as I opened her kennel door she made a beeline for the office door. That room was her safe place, free from the noise of the kennel area and she had a nice soft chair to nap.

Sadly, once the court case was completed, the shelter was faced with a hard decision. They tried for months to find a rescue group to take her. None would step up. She wasn't safe to place in a home.  Momma, Brownie, and Blackie had to be euthanized. That was a hard hard day for everybody. They had come to really care for the three. Momma was pregnant when she first arrived. She gave birth to 13 pups. Only three survived. At least Momma had that legacy. All three pups found happy forever homes.

Momma was in my lap for her last moments. I knew in my heart that I was able to give her the love that she deserved for those last months. I have her ashes on my desk as a reminder of why I do what I do. And yes, I cried all that night.

God bless you, Nitro.  

eta:  after typing this all out; you've all helped me to see that I NEED TO GO BACK AND HELP.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 2

I totally understand the need to help, and wish I could gain back my strength to do so.  I spent several years in wild bird rescue and rehabilitation; every one of our losses affected me much more than it should have, and I relive those traumas in my own damaged mind.  I have also cradled each of my 5 dying cats in my arms in less than six years, and I know my own emotional state is far too vulnerable to be of any use to anyone (including me) right now.  Tia and the rest of y'all are just going to have to take up the slack until I can find a semblance of mental wellness again.  I'm working on it ... but I am totally alone, old  and partially disabled without a safety net, and am more concerned with finding someone to take over the care of the animals I've already "adopted".

Tia is right - you have to be so totally involved with the saving that you find no time to wallow in the sorrow of the losses  ... that was me years ago.

• Love 2

I totally understand the need to help, and wish I could gain back my strength to do so.  I spent several years in wild bird rescue and rehabilitation; every one of our losses affected me much more than it should have, and I relive those traumas in my own damaged mind.  I have also cradled each of my 5 dying cats in my arms in less than six years, and I know my own emotional state is far too vulnerable to be of any use to anyone (including me) right now.  Tia and the rest of y'all are just going to have to take up the slack until I can find a semblance of mental wellness again.  I'm working on it ... but I am totally alone, old  and partially disabled without a safety net, and am more concerned with finding someone to take over the care of the animals I've already "adopted".

Tia is right - you have to be so totally involved with the saving that you find no time to wallow in the sorrow of the losses  ... that was me years ago.

Hang in there, WQ !  We all do what we can and it sure sounds like you've done more than your share.

Do you mean you're trying to find someone to take over the animals you've adopted because you're no longer able to ?  Wish I could help.  :(

• Love 1

Hang in there, WQ !  We all do what we can and it sure sounds like you've done more than your share.

Do you mean you're trying to find someone to take over the animals you've adopted because you're no longer able to ?  Wish I could help.  :(

Taking this to the Small Talk thread, where my musings probably belong ...

• Love 1

Yeah, noticed that too....other than it being a "holiday" (as much as you can consider Halloween a holiday), no clue why they are skipping a week.

But looks like it comes back next Saturday.

• Love 2

I don't watch this too much anymore. The dogs in peril, dogs being abused, dogs locked in kennels for the rest of their lives just isn't what I want to watch on TV anymore.

But I just read here that the show did an update on Jake, I loved Jake. Can anybody please give me a quick rundown on what/how he's doing?

Thank you!

Jake is now married to the vet (at least I’m pretty sure she's a vet; definitely involved in veterinary medicine, as that’s how they met) he moved to North Carolina to be with, and runs a rescue.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Thanks Bastet.

I'm so happy to hear that Jake is doing so well. He was always my favorite human on the show, he always had like a twinkle in his eye and I knew out of all the parolees that he would make it. I was so sad when he was arrested on the motorcycle with the gun. I'm glad he's gotten back on track.

Yay Jake!

After reading his site and hearing about the dogs he's helping and just because I've always liked him, I made a donation to his rescue. It's my Xmas present to myself.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2

I really like him, too.  Since you haven’t seen all the episodes, you may not know Jake goes way back with the family, well before he started working at Villalobos.  His mom and Tia were friendly through dog training, so the kids all knew each other – he was close friends with Tania, teased Mariah like she was his little sister, etc.  When he worked at VRC in Agua Dulce, he lived in Tia’s house. 

That’s why him getting locked back up was as hard as it was on Tia.  She’d really come to rely on him (and Mondo) at the ranch after AJ was arrested, but there was also tremendous personal disappointment and heartache in seeing him make such a stupid mistake, because he was like family. 

And, of course, when he left.  I like that while he sort of talked around it, Jake did acknowledge he handled his resignation really badly, but it was because he just had no idea how to do it so he sort of shut down, spit it out, and left.

• Love 3

Tania had been making me laugh all week in promos by telling Pierre, "You're ruining my street cred," and she cracked me up even more getting a gander at the various cuts and costumes in that grooming salon.  Did she say, "Oh, Mylanta" when Pierre came out with his 'do?  I think so; that's an expression I haven't heard in ages but used to say all the time.

I recognized him immediately as half of the Odd Couple bonded pair, and was sad he was on his own.  But Tia made perfect sense in saying it's better for them to endure separation in order to get their own forever homes quickly than stay together for years on end in the kennels.  Bonded pairs are hard to find homes for; not a lot of people want two new dogs or cats at once.  A pit and a poodle?  Like Tia said from the day she took them, the average pit person is not a poodle person and vice versa.

Some pairs really should not be separated.  But I think those two found each other when they needed each other most, supported each other through dark days, and were ready to survive on their own.  Pierre certainly seemed happy running all over that huge yard, and his owner is obviously going to dote on him something fierce.  Yankee Poodle Dandy, indeed.

Tia cracked me up with her impression of the abandoned dog upon leading her to the back staircase: "Lady, you are making this way harder than it needs to be."  What people do to animals never fails to disgust me, no matter how familiar I am with the litany of bad behavior.  You take a dog who is probably in his last year of life and tie him up in a sweltering upstairs room of an abandoned house with no water (or leave him water, but, gee, it was consumed/dried up quickly)?  Shame on them, as Tia said.  For Legacy, it worked out okay (although the poor old guy will probably not be adopted and wind up dying in a kennel, although at least surrounded by affection and care).  For most, it's a slow death, scared and alone.  I hate people.

I'm glad the surgery seems to have relieved some of Earl's pain.  I love how happy he was to get back to the dogs.  And Sui made me laugh, declaring he was going on vacation now that Earl was back.  Those two guys are aces.

• Love 4

It was emotional for me seeing Earl getting a little teary. I don't know what his past was -- obviously not good -- but he has turned things around for himself and seems like such a sweet person. I know he had his hopes up about getting the use of his arm back, but I think the rest of us knew the likelihood of that was near zero. Hopefully his pain level will continue to decrease.

Tania's uncertainty about Pierre was pretty funny. He's a dog, Tania! Not all that different than the hundreds of other dogs you deal with every day. Nice that they finally got to fly out of state for a home visit instead of spending days on the damned road.

I didn't quite understand why the spiral staircase was impossible for the rescue dog to walk down but the regular stairs were okay? Although Tia did carry him part of the way on those. Was it due to his (probable) arthritis?

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3