Type keyword(s) to search

The Show: Sad Pibbles and Happy Tails

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I was so mad at Hotep's owner; the dog was so young, that wasn't a situation of someone having a pet, then life going to hell for her so she could no longer afford to care for the dog; she never did a damn thing from day one.  No shots, not fixed, and then after weeks of suffering, she made him someone else's problem to deal with.  At least he wound up with the good people at Cypress Lake in his final hours.

I feel like there is a class of pet owners that treat health care for their pets in the same way some people treat health care for themselves - they see something go wrong and figure "I'll wait it out and see if it gets better".  I'm shocked when watching some of these shows on how clueless some pet owners are, and while I know the cost of pet insurance and basic health care can be daunting, preventive care in animals is far cheaper than letting something small fester until it becomes a couple thousand dollar surgery. If you do your homework, it is possible to find low cost spay and neuter, free or low cost microchipping, and low cost vet services even if you have to travel a while to get your pet seen. When I watch Dr Jeff and see owners come 3/4/5 hours to see him because they care about their pets, it makes these kinds of owners seem even more selfish. 

• Love 3
On 1/14/2018 at 11:44 PM, dbell1 said:

Earl is not a success story. Guys who get off parole and move on with their lives are. Country Matt, Sui, those are guys to emulate. Last year, on a live show, they mentioned one of their CA guys who's doing very well as their favorite story. 

I disagree.  Earl has a useless arm.  He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.  Where else is he going to work?  Jake runs a rescue in Asheboro, NC.  Country Matt was working construction in upstate NY.  These are young guys.  Earl is no kid, he has a college-age son.  At VRC he's found his calling.  Yes, he had a backslide because his issue always was drugs.  But he's been clean since then, and everyone at VRC loves and trusts him.  He seems to be the "head guy" for the parolees.  How many people get to do rewarding work that they love -- and have fans?  I'd say he's pretty successful given his limitations.

You know, say what you will about this family -- they are a remarkably cohesive bunch, for all the tats and piercings, and all four kids have managed to find partners who also want to do this work.  I do get a sense that Perry is a bit shy because he is not on camera much.  Of course he may be at home being "Mr. Mom" to Salem, in which case that just makes him even more awesome.   Whatever Tia's faults may be, and whatever trouble the kids got into younger, they have grown into four fine young people who work hard.  I love these people.  :-)

Mariah is making too big a fuss about not wanting kids.  Methinks she protesteth too much.  I think she is trying to convince herself because Marcel is reluctant.  Just a hunch, I could be wrong.

The puppies Caleb and Hannah with their useless legs broke my heart until the update at the end when we saw them walking.

• Love 8

As someone who never wanted kids, and who will probably continue until menopause in a few years to endure fuckwits who are convinced I actually do want them but just haven't A, B, C, or D, I will take Mariah at her word - especially surrounded by gestating sisters and sisters-in-law - that she does not want to breed.  If she changes her mind, I wish her fertility.  If she doesn't, I wish her a less annoying experience than I've had with the "No, it's really [X situation] and you, if left to your own devices, would procreate" crowd.

Watching those little puppies, already the lone survivors of a bad litter, push themselves to walk was just adorable.  I'm glad Caleb finally kicked into gear, and hope he lives a fulfilling life.

I liked Tia again talking about how the grieving process - in terms of when a mourning owner who has lost a pet is ready to adopt their next family member - is wholly subjective.  There's a lot of shit thrown at those who are ready in short order, so it's great to see the owner of a special needs pit opt to heal her heart by giving a great home to yet another special needs pit.  And I loved Earl being referred to as "Uncle Earl." 

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Watching those little puppies, already the lone survivors of a bad litter, push themselves to walk was just adorable.  I'm glad Caleb finally kicked into gear, and hope he lives a fulfilling life.

." 

Did they show the puppies walking?  I really wanted to see a follow up. My DVR must have cut off. 

3 hours ago, GussieK said:

Did they show the puppies walking?  I really wanted to see a follow up. My DVR must have cut off. 

Yes! ?  At end where they give updates they show both puppies acting like puppies. The one little guy was still bow legged and a little clumsy, but he was up and running around and may grow out of it even more

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

I saw/heard somewhere that Hannah (the female puppy) is going to be part of Puppy Bowl this year. Those puppy's usually get adopted quickly, and hopefully Caleb will follow.

She is, I just checked on Animal Planet web site

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Yes! ?  At end where they give updates they show both puppies acting like puppies. The one little guy was still bow legged and a little clumsy, but he was up and running around and may grow out of it even more

Thanks!  Serendipitously, I also recorded The Vet Life, which aired right after, and the puppies showed up at the beginning of that recording. 

• Love 2

I have always loved this show.

Is Mariah okay, cuz in her recent talking heads she seems to have aged a lot more than her years and was looking quite haggard.

I also think the leg injury really took a lot out of Tia. Maybe it made her re-evaluate that she is not as young as she used to be as she seems to have slowed down with her life in the country and is not trying to manage everything and do all the lost dog rescues anymore. 

• Love 4

On a shallow note, I must say that I absolutely hate Mariah's new neck tattoo.  I haven't seen enough of it to actually see the design, but what I have seen looks to me like veins. (shudder)  In addition, in some scenes she has the tattoo in the center of her neck, and other she doesn't, and this gets distracting.  Please don't think I'm anti tattoo - I have a couple of them myself, although none on or near my neck or head.

I agree Mariah is looking haggard, but Tia looks awful.  My husband hadn't seen the program in a couple of years, and he could hardly believe it was the same Tia.  He refused to believe she's a couple of years younger than we are, and I had to get on the computer to prove her age.  He genuinely thought she was in her late sixties.  I think that with Tia and all of her kids, the stress of running the rescue operation is taking a toll on their appearances.  While I was in search mode, I also looked up Mariah and Tania's ages and it was my turn to be surprised that they were younger than they look.  

I think the entire family, including the twins and the in-laws, has a passion for what they are doing, but clearly it is not an easy life.  

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:21 AM, Bastet said:

As someone who never wanted kids, and who will probably continue until menopause in a few years to endure fuckwits who are convinced I actually do want them but just haven't A, B, C, or D, I will take Mariah at her word - especially surrounded by gestating sisters and sisters-in-law - that she does not want to breed.  If she changes her mind, I wish her fertility.  If she doesn't, I wish her a less annoying experience than I've had with the "No, it's really [X situation] and you, if left to your own devices, would procreate" crowd.

I liked Tia again talking about how the grieving process - in terms of when a mourning owner who has lost a pet is ready to adopt their next family member - is wholly subjective.  There's a lot of shit thrown at those who are ready in short order, so it's great to see the owner of a special needs pit opt to heal her heart by giving a great home to yet another special needs pit.  And I loved Earl being referred to as "Uncle Earl." 

Are you my long lost sister ?   LOL   I've had the same experiences when it comes to the fact that I've never wanted kids.  Now that I'm menopause age the annoying people have finally left me alone in that regard.  Whew.

Good for M&M and knowing what they want and don't want ! 

Also, as for the bolded part............... do you mean  you were ready to adopt another dog soon after one had passed away?   That is me to a tee and I catch ALOT Of shit for that as well.    I grieve terribly when a beloved dog has passed away, but my thought process is always "Life is short, why continue to wallow in misery when there are perfectly beautiful dogs just waiting for a home and they will make me smile and LOVE again"  So usually in a week or 2 I'm looking at getting a new 4 legged baby into my home.   BUT IN NO WAY am I JUDGING THOSE THAT WAIT LONGER PERIODS OF TIME !

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, jnymph said:

Also, as for the bolded part............... do you mean  you were ready to adopt another dog soon after one had passed away?  

No, I'm the opposite - it has always taken me at least six months (last time it was nine) to be ready to adopt another cat after one passed away.  But even though I am not someone who is ready right away, I am outraged on behalf of those who are that they are accused by some of "replacing" the dead pet and otherwise treated as if they're wrong for adopting quickly.  So I always like hearing Tia say everyone is different, and ready in their own time - that it had only been a month didn't say anything negative to her about the adopter.

• Love 7

I had two pups (Nitro Fish and Rossco) when Nitro Fish passed from cancer. Poor Rossco got so depressed that within two weeks I brought home a dog to foster. Agnes had been at the shelter for over eight months. Being eight at the time she wasn't going to be adopted anytime soon. I quickly became a foster failure. Agnes and Rossco had two years together before cancer took Rossco. Agnes is now 13 and I know her time with me is slowly getting shorter. My husband will be devastated when that happens. He says no more after her. However, I could never go long with a fur baby in the house.

• Love 7
On 1/30/2018 at 6:58 PM, TVbitch said:

Is Mariah okay, cuz in her recent talking heads she seems to have aged a lot more than her years and was looking quite haggard.

You noticed that too? At first I thought that maybe it was just that she doesn't have any makeup on, in comparison to earlier seasons when she put a lot of effort (hair and makeup) into her talking heads. But then I realized its more than that. She looks wan and pale. More concerning, she just looks very tired. I hope she just had a bad day and we're making a mountain out of a molehill, but it is concerning.

• Love 3

I liked tonight's special; animal rescue shows are a genre where clip shows don't bother me.

I swear, they could include Cheech and Chong’s story in every episode, and so long as it included the shot of them comforting each other in the shelter and the paw on Tia’s arm to say goodbye when Cheech got his home, I would never get sick of it.

And yep – anything Jethro.  I can’t imagine living with that dog, but I’m glad to “know” the person who does and thus get videos and stories of him.

I remembered every dog by story, and some by name, upon looking at the pictures. 

And, of course, I was like Tania – if Brandi with an i hadn’t been in the bunch, everyone who wrote in would have been dead to me.

Roxy Mama as number three surprised me, and I spent the commercial break scrambling my brain to come up with who could be one and two.  Because her reunion with her owner was The Ultimate Moment for me.  A snarling dog who can only – and barely – be handled by Tia, transformed in a waggling, wiggling, trick-performing love by seeing her momma, a year and a half later?  I’m glad they’re still together, because I read a couple years back that Roxy was sick and undergoing significant diagnostics.

I liked Curtis’s story, and he certainly had a gross injury, but he went from the hospital to the tech’s and never left.  Wonderful recovery, and him rolling around with her at the office and then later with her son at home – testament to how they bounce back, emotionally - was sweet as hell.  And deformed puppy Blanche toppling over then straightening out with those colorful casts?  Cute indeed.  But Roxy Mama is my number one.

Gilbert loving the truck, Vlad’s smile, Charlie Brown being Rita in dog form, Lacey – dumped for getting on the owner’s bed – being welcome to roll around on the bed of her new home - Pierre as the Yankee Poodle Dandy ... so many good memories.  With Pizza they showed the funny moment when he peed on Louise and Tia almost peed her own self laughing, but I’d indeed put him on the sweetest list for the full-body wiggle when his owner opened the motel room door.

Nice montage of cute Earl moments, too; he indeed has had many.  And Sui’s visit with his mom.  I liked their “Christmas” dinner from the picture, yes, but her first visit was the best.

I hate public proposals (actually, I don't understand proposals, period), but I do love Tania’s “What are you doing right now?” when Perry starts taking a knee.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

I watched my recording Sunday night and then forgot to post about it, so I've forgotten a lot of the names by now, but:

Seeing the "swimmer puppies" getting around so well now is adorable.  Tania, Mariah, and Mo really put a lot of time into their physical therapy, and it paid off.  Hannah loving life at the Puppy Bowl (and Caleb just hanging back and observing from Marcel's arms) was sweet.

I knew the adopters were going to pick the dog with emotional needs, no matter how adorable the arthritic dog who did that hilarious upside-down maneuver on the couch was -- she needed them in the same way they needed her, and it was written all over her face.

I'm glad the parolee who opted to show back up and turn it around is doing well so far.  It hurt my heart when he said being at work with the dogs was the only light in his life, he went home to a big black hole.  It's so hard for these guys to cobble together an existence they never had in the first place, and which got completely beaten down in prison; that any of them succeed long term is rather astounding, and that's never going to change until parolee/work-release/in-prison programs like those featured on the show stop being anomalies. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Seeing the "swimmer puppies" getting around so well now is adorable.  Tania, Mariah, and Mo really put a lot of time into their physical therapy, and it paid off.  Hannah loving life at the Puppy Bowl (and Caleb just hanging back and observing from Marcel's arms) was sweet.

I watched the preview for "The Zoo" that ran right before/after this episode and squealed in delight when they showed the snow leopard with swimmers. I yelled "Call Mo and the girls, they can fix her".  

• Love 5

Poor Unicorn, having nowhere to go.  At least she was covered in that carport, but she had, what, a foot of leash to work with?  She was stuck in her own pee and shit, and with any food and water long gone.  I hate people.  I will never tire of the VRC folks marveling at how accepting of people neglected and even abused dogs can be; those tail or even full body wags when they sense that this particular human is there to help them are always moving.

The producers are really pushing the swimmer pups hard this season (probably because VRC hardly ever has puppies, and they figure puppies are a bigger draw than older dogs for much of the audience, but I'm the opposite).  I hope that, being puppies - not to mention puppies with a sob story but one that doesn't create an ongoing special need - they both found homes in short order.  Especially since Hannah was on the Puppy Bowl; I've read that most of the puppies featured on that show each year get adopted fairly quickly.

I'm glad the adopters were clear that their own preferences were meaningless in the face of their existing dog's choice, and that he and the new dog bonded so quickly.  What a nice little family they must be now; I missed the update segment at the end, but I can't imagine it being anything other than positive.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Poor Unicorn, having nowhere to go.  At least she was covered in that carport, but she had, what, a foot of leash to work with?  She was stuck in her own pee and shit, and with any food and water long gone.  I hate people.  I will never tire of the VRC folks marveling at how accepting of people neglected and even abused dogs can be; those tail or even full body wags when they sense that this particular human is there to help them are always moving.

The producers are really pushing the swimmer pups hard this season (probably because VRC hardly ever has puppies, and they figure puppies are a bigger draw than older dogs for much of the audience, but I'm the opposite).  I hope that, being puppies - not to mention puppies with a sob story but one that doesn't create an ongoing special need - they both found homes in short order.  Especially since Hannah was on the Puppy Bowl; I've read that most of the puppies featured on that show each year get adopted fairly quickly.

I'm glad the adopters were clear that their own preferences were meaningless in the face of their existing dog's choice, and that he and the new dog bonded so quickly.  What a nice little family they must be now; I missed the update segment at the end, but I can't imagine it being anything other than positive.

I really enjoyed the Puppy Bowl this year, and I think they showed that all the dogs got adopted. They really had some funny antics. There was one dog that would not run around and the referee kept yelling at him--in a comic way, of course. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think was true in the past, especially in CA where Tia outright refused to take in puppies. But one of the things that has been interesting has been to see her transition from "absolutely no puppies, no way" to "we take in anyone that needs our help, regardless of breed, age or circumstances". I feel like VRC has had a lot of puppies, but they push them out and try to get them permanent homes as quickly as they can...or at least before they each need their own kennel.

• Love 1

I saw the second half of the two-episode season finale while out of town, but just got to see the first half tonight.  I can't remember much of the one I saw last weekend, other than the dog who had a couple of pounds worth of matted fur shaved off his body, which is crazy!  Poor Shaggy.

And poor Moelina, but, as Lizzie said, at least she died peacefully and surrounded by loving people, rather than alone and suffering on the streets.  Fuck her owners with a chainsaw (and with a collar and leash on her, she had owners); if they didn't have the resources to care for her when she got sick, they had far more humane options that turning her loose in the streets, and if they'd just taken basic care of her, she may never have become sick in the first place (if it started with heartworm and then she developed secondary conditions after heart failure set in).

LOL at Tia setting up dog crates for the babies; hey, at that size, sounds like a good playpen to me.  And it was refreshing to hear her say if she became a grandma, great, if she didn't, great; she just wanted whatever her kids wanted, for them, and for her she didn't care either way.  Now she's pretty well swimming in grandkids, which is kind of funny.

I loved Jordan's adopter saying the instant bond expectation so many people have is unrealistic; if it happens, hooray, but if it takes time, that's just fine.  As the owner of a shy cat who leans against me, I loved seeing shy Jordy lean against her.  I remember her from being the one to call Tia and crew in for that long rescue by the freeway, when Tia was trying to get back down for Mondo's wedding; it's cool she has remained part of the VRC family.

• Love 5
On 1/21/2018 at 2:37 PM, Rlb8031 said:

I feel like there is a class of pet owners that treat health care for their pets in the same way some people treat health care for themselves - they see something go wrong and figure "I'll wait it out and see if it gets better".  I'm shocked when watching some of these shows on how clueless some pet owners are, and while I know the cost of pet insurance and basic health care can be daunting, preventive care in animals is far cheaper than letting something small fester until it becomes a couple thousand dollar surgery. If you do your homework, it is possible to find low cost spay and neuter, free or low cost microchipping, and low cost vet services even if you have to travel a while to get your pet seen. When I watch Dr Jeff and see owners come 3/4/5 hours to see him because they care about their pets, it makes these kinds of owners seem even more selfish. 

i am definitely that person when it comes to ME! But my pets and any pet rescues.......nope, Taking them to the vet. However, if the only down side of an animal getting a home with kind, loving people is their ability to buy Blue Buffalo food and being financially able to take the pet to the vet whenever it's reasonably necessary, then I would rather that pet got lots of love and a few good years with loving owners that cant afford excellent food and vet care all the time. 

• Love 3

Just catching up with the end of the season. Did I miss something or was Tania's husband MIA in the last couple episodes. Seemed like she was doing a single mom thing. Hope he didn't pick back up. 

12 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Just catching up with the end of the season. Did I miss something or was Tania's husband MIA in the last couple episodes. Seemed like she was doing a single mom thing. Hope he didn't pick back up. 

I noticed that too and was hoping nothing had happened. 

(edited)

The episode when we meet Sui is on right now; I miss him a lot.  Earl's pride when Tia gives Sui's work a thumbs up, and Sui's when Earl relays that to him, is one of my favorite scenes.

This episode also features the rescue/reunification of Pizza, and the adoption of Bug, which in hindsight is sad - as Keenan (Pizza's owner), Bug, and Cate (Bug's owner) are all dead now.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

The episode when we meet Sui is on right now; I miss him a lot.  Earl's pride when Tia gives Sui's work a thumbs up, and Sui's when Earl relays that to him, is one of my favorite scenes.

This episode also features the rescue/reunification of Pizza, and the adoption of Bug, which in hindsight is sad - as Keenan (Pizza's owner), Bug, and Cate (Bug's owner) are all dead now.

What happened to Pizza's owner? 

On 9/22/2015 at 12:38 PM, jnymph said:

Mittens was adopted by the nice young lady who ADORED him.  (and he adored her too. )

Muckalee is doing well and is up for adoption.

Baldur was adopted by Tania and Perry !  :) Yay!  God I loved that dog. He was so sweet. 

I remember when Tia got Mittens out of that horrid drug ring/dog fighting situation.   I thought he was so cute the way he was just waddling away from there.  

Tia:  " I won't give up."   <- I die. I love her so much.

Is there any way I can watch this episode?  I have adopted Muckalee in Northern VT and would love to see her story!

Thank you!

Allison

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Alismith23 said:

Is there any way I can watch this episode?  I have adopted Muckalee in Northern VT and would love to see her story!

Thank you!

Allison

Omigoodness ! Congrats on adopting Muckalee : )  that makes me so happy

Gosh, this post was so long ago.   I am not sure how you can get to this episode unless you could possibly see it on Comcast "On Demand" ?   But even then, I'm not 100% certain how you could figure out which  season and episode that would be.   Unless you google the episodes timeline and us my posting date of 9/22/15 to figure out approximate date it was aired.     But like I said, you'd have to have On Demand.      

Another option would be to go to YouTube and start searching Pitbulls and Parolees episodes, perhaps someone posted it.   

• Love 1

Are you sure that's current?  It says Saturday, November 12 (and, indeed, Saturday is when the show usually airs), but November 12 is a Monday this year.  When I pull up the show's homepage on the Animal Planet website, I don't see anything about a new season.  (Although, I had to load it on a different browser to even be able to see stuff to begin with, so it may just be invisible to me.)

They're showing some old episodes now, so I hoped that meant a new season is starting soon, but there have been no ads to that effect during commercial breaks or as on-screen banners.  There's still nothing up on the show's home page on Animal Planet's website, and the show's Facebook page still has the date of last season's premiere.  So who knows when we'll get new episodes.  But at least I have some old ones to watch again while cleaning the house.

• Love 2

I just watched the 2 episodes that were "special moments" at VLR. Such beautiful moments and heartbreaking moments. But that's what comes with the passion,drive and dedication for those in animal rescue. I've had my heart broken a thousand times but I've also saved many lives...cats, dogs, a rat (!) birds. Damn it! LOVE HURTS!LOL. But I'll never stop doing what I do. 

• Love 3

I thank you guys for keeping me up to date with the show. I had to stop watching any kind of animal rescue type shows a long time ago. They either make me so mad that I seriously want to hurt the animal abusers or they make me cry so hard that I get a headache and I'm depressed for days. It's nice to come here and see updates and see how the family is because I just can't watch. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I thank you guys for keeping me up to date with the show. I had to stop watching any kind of animal rescue type shows a long time ago. They either make me so mad that I seriously want to hurt the animal abusers or they make me cry so hard that I get a headache and I'm depressed for days. It's nice to come here and see updates and see how the family is because I just can't watch. 

Aww! You are still one of "us"! Doesn't matter if you can get through watching these shows or participate in rescues. Your love and compassion for animals still makes you a part of "the army"! Lol

• Love 8
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Aww! You are still one of "us"! Doesn't matter if you can get through watching these shows or participate in rescues. Your love and compassion for animals still makes you a part of "the army"! Lol

Thank you. I do love animals much more than I love people.  After adopting a dog who was so abused that I couldn't touch her for over a year, I just can not watch anymore.  I've seen it first hand and I just can't watch the abuse and suffering anymore. It breaks my heart. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

Thank you. I do love animals much more than I love people.  AftThank you. I do love animals much more than I love people.  After adopting a dog who er adopting a dog who was so abused that I couldn't you have her Thank you. I do love animals much more than I love people.  After adopting a dog who for over a year, I just can not watch anymore.  I've seen it first hand and I just can't watch the abuse and suffering anymore. It breaks my heart. 

^^ So THAT qualifies you to be part of the "special forces" branch of "the army". Welcome Maharincess! ?

ETA: I will NEVER forget your kindness shown to me years ago when I posted at Christmas that I had no family. You are a fucking rock star of compassion, kindness and love!! But I promise I will never let anyone know that you DO love people sometimes! ❤

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

^^ So THAT qualifies you to be part of the "special forces" branch of "the army". Welcome Maharincess! ?

ETA: I will NEVER forget your kindness shown to me years ago when I posted at Christmas that I had no family. You are a fucking rock star of compassion, kindness and love!! But I promise I will never let anyone know that you DO love people sometimes! ❤

You're so sweet, you've made my day.  My offer is a standing offer, you are welcome any time. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

You're so sweet, you've made my day.  My offer is a standing offer, you are welcome any time. 

I will hold you to that! As the song goes "happy trails to you, until we meet again (someday) " 

Your kindness and compassion for all living beings shines through your tough armor!! Lol

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 2