Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The Facts of Bleeping Life

• Start Topic

That was all kinds of awesome, with Barry and Adam and the Dee Schneider wigs.  This show brings back SO many memories.  When the girls were waiting and waiting for their favorite video on MTV it just made me nostalgic.  I actually thought the girls sounded pretty good when they were singing.  Oh, and I will forever adore Murray for his showing Barry that video and admitting he thought Bev was too good for him. 

• Love 7

Sweet episode. I loved when Beverly called Murray out with the Facts Of Life theme song. I do take issue with "Family Ties, like most 80's shows, only being as good as it's theme song." Minor peeve, no biggie.

I do hope Dee Snider watches that episode I bet he'd get a kick out of it.

That Bangles song the girls were singing is so good!  I had to wonder what the neighbors were thinking, though, when they did the wedding in the backyard in what looked to be the wee hours of the morning - what with the live music and all.  oh well, it's a sitcom!

• Love 4

This show brings back SO many memories.  When the girls were waiting and waiting for their favorite video on MTV it just made me nostalgic.

I know! I'd actually kind of forgotten about having to watch so much MTV in order to see the one video you wanted. This is why so many of us became familiar with almost all of the videos out there and were able to identify them so quickly on "Remote Control."

I love that Fred Savage directed this. Please have him back for more Goldbergs episodes!

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 2

My favorite moment was when the show cut away from Beverly and then, once it cut back to her, she had tears streaming down her face. Murray's "How do you produce tears so quickly?!" was perfect. 

Me thinks that Lainey doth protest too much in re: to having feelings for Barry. I expect they'll end up together at some point. 

• Love 5
Me thinks that Lainey doth protest too much in re: to having feelings for Barry. I expect they'll end up together at some point.

I thought that was the point of the small smile and look back she did as she was walking away.

• Love 1

Hilarious episode, my husband and I were laughing out loud because he would totally use a sitcom theme song for wedding vows if he could get away with it.

Old school MTV! I was recently telling my step-grandson how MTV used to play only music videos, and not everyone had cable back in the day, so you would have to all go to the one friend's house that did have cable to watch.

• Love 3

I'm really enjoying this show. My hometown didn't get cable until 1983. My parents lived outside the installation zone, but my best friend had an appointment for May 18th. Yep, I remember it because we were so excited. Almost every week there's something on this show that makes me remember if it happened before or after. I would've never believed that day would be a seminal moment for me, but there you have it.

I do wonder how much it appeals to people who don't remember the 80's, though.

Heh, I remember the day we got cable.  It was April 13, 1985.  It was a Saturday.  The first music video we watched on MTV was Phil Collins, Take me Home.  That was a big day in the life of this little 7 year old boy.  The next day I got up early, as was my custom then, and watched Bugs Bunny cartoons on the Superstation, which is what we called TBS in those days.  The important thing though is that I had an onion tied to my belt...

I loved this episode.  I loved that they acknowledged what he all knew was true, you judged a TV show entirely by the quality of its theme song, a lost art now if you ask me.  I loved the wigs, and the Bangles, and was not completely distracted by the jumping around in time (Royal Wedding was in 1981, Family Ties was 82, We're Not Gonna Take it was in 84).  I loved Murray sitting down for his wedding.

• Love 3

I loved that they acknowledged what he all knew was true, you judged a TV show entirely by the quality of its theme song, a lost art now if you ask me.

So true. We used to sing tv theme songs on the bus coming home from away games. I even won a bunch of points for my team at a company event for being able to identify ones from the 60's, 70's and 80's. (I was a little embarrassed, to tell the truth.)

First video I ever saw on MTV was "Modern Love" by David Bowie.

Although the names have been changed to protect the guilty, I imagine if the real Barry Goldberg wound up with a girl he knew in High School we might be able to find out (unless the show goes the route of them hooking up, then breaking up).

If they were that crazy about the video and they have a vcr why did they not tape it?  I still have a vhs tape from 1983-Thriller, Sexy+17, ZZTop...

In the garage, sitting next to my Lincoln Logs and Swinger camera--I was a '60's kid--is a VCR identical to the Goldberg's.  I'm not sentimental about it, but remembering that thing cost ~$800 slows my roll to the dumpster. 

Anyway, that's why the kids aren't allowed to use Murray's VCR for taping MTV.  : )

Edited by candall

I also remember a corded remote, with a slider. All it could do was change channels. I probably would have been told I couldn't tape hours of TV because the tapes cost money! Adam must go through tapes quite fast, though, so I guess that excuse for why Erica didn't tape the video doesn't work. Maybe the basement TV didn't have a VCR. Or they wanted to see and hear the video at full quality, since the taped version would have been a bit less clear.