Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E06: Week 4: Most Memorable Year

• Start Topic

“Episode 1904” – The 10 remaining celebrities dance to songs commemorating their most memorable year on MONDAY, OCTOBER 6 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. Each couple will dance to a song of the celebrities choosing that encompasses a memorable time or experience in their life. These heartfelt performances promise to be some of the most exciting and emotional of the season. Musical artist Colbie Caillat will perform.

Even more power is in the viewers’ hands next week. For the first time ever, America can act as a guest judge and score celebrity performances alongside Julianne Hough, Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli. To be part of the Judges’ table, viewers must visit abc.com to score performances. A combined overall viewer score for each performance will be counted alongside the judges’ score. Each viewer may score a performance once, and the scoring window for each couple is open for two minutes and fifteen seconds, beginning at the start of each routine. At the end of the night, one couple will face elimination based on the previous week’s scores and public vote.

Week 4:

Tentative schedule with songs:

Jonathan and Allison – Samba, Song: “Milkshake” by Kelis – from Mean Girls

Betsey and Tony – Jive, Song: “Love Will Keep Us Together” by Captain & Tennille

Janel and Val – Rumba, song: “How Will I Know” by Sam Smith

Lea and Artem – Contemporary, song: “Dance with My Father” by Luther Vandross

Michael and Emma – Quickstep

Tommy and Peta – Jive, song: “Jailhouse Rock” by Elvis Presley

Antonio and Cheryl – Samba, song: “Love Will Never Do (Without You)” by Janet Jackson

Bethany and Derek – Rumba, Song: “Try” by Colbie Caillat

Sadie and Mark – Samba, Song: “Hunter” by Pharrell

Alfonso and Whitney – Jazz, song: “It’s Not Unusual” by Tom Jones

Judging with the "You Raise the Paddle" format: more info at ABC

Edited by radishcake
Adding info by Uke

I hate this theme for the same reason - it's all maudlin pandering. And those lucky enough not to have experienced significant life trauma wind up having to overembellish some silliness, like the Terrible Year the Neighbor's Cat Died, just to have a fighting chance in the polls.

• Love 2

I hate this theme for the same reason - it's all maudlin pandering. And those lucky enough not to have experienced significant life trauma wind up having to overembellish some silliness, like the Terrible Year the Neighbor's Cat Died, just to have a fighting chance in the polls.

I end up feeling like such a horrible human being...I've gotten so cynical with this show.  I know that Lea and Jonathan's father's have passed so I'm not talking about them.  But the celebs sometimes go searching for some tragedy to share.  I remember a few seasons back Corbin Bleu's sister had the flu when she was a kid or something.  Ok I'm joking but I remember he was reaching super hard with his that year.

• Love 3

Tommy and Peta – Jive, song: “Jailhouse Rock” by Elvis Presley

It's a safe bet that Tommy's choice will be about the 9 months he spent in the federal penitentiary when he got steamrolled by an overzealous prosecutor.  Tommy's son had an internet business selling glass pipes and bongs which Tommy helped finance.  Tommy plea bargained with the prosecution for his guilty plea in exhange for the prosecutor agreeing not to charge Tommy's wife or his son.  Tommy, with no criminal background or previous charges, had the book thrown at him at sentencing because the judge wanted to make an example of such a high profile defendant. 

• Love 5

If that order is correct I'm going to be really pissed off. Once again Derek/Bethany are towards the end and Lea is stuck in the middle again. What's perfect is that if Lea goes home I don't have to watch the show after this week. Alfonso will have already done his "Carlton Dance" and that was one of the things I wanted to see this season. Jonathans story is definitely the year he did Mean Girls. I'm guessing Sadies is about when they started Duck Dynasty. My guess is that Antonios story is about when he met his wife. The song is about two people falling in love even though they are opposites and people don't believe in their love. The others are I either have no clue or are pretty obvious.  

Jonathan is doing a dance related to Mean Girls, so he's not doing anything related to his mother and father.   From pics it seems like Allison is doing something with the scene where the Plastics do the Jingle Bell Rock dance.  Not that it has a thing to do with his character in the movie.

Based on the songs, outside of Lea, it doesn't seem like most are doing really over the top emotional stories.

I have no idea what Janel's story is outside of she's dancing a rumba to a love song, but it's looking like they might be back to showmancing it up based on the pics Janel just posted.   

Edited by spanana

From pics it seems like Allison is doing something with the scene where the Plastics do the Jingle Bell Rock dance.  Not that it has a thing to do with his character in the movie.

I honestly can't wrap my head around their song choice. I've seen the movie a billion times thanks to TBS reruns and sucky cable, and I still had to look it up to convince myself that the song was even in the movie, so it's hardly something anyone would associate with it. And I know arrogant Allison thinks it's her job to be provocative, but she can't possibly be dumb enough not to know that song is going to offend some subset of their voters.  I mean, there's "not quite family-friendly" and then there's an explicit song about using your bodily fluids to attract men. I'm surprised the lyrics passed the censors.

Hmm I always heard the interpretation of milkshake = mojo/sex moves. Like "do you have some fries to go with that shake?" when you see someone walking with a good sway. And that's how I always interpreted it too (I can teach you but I have to charge). I'm not sure you can teach anything about "bodily fluids" which is a whole 'nother level of gross. YMMV.

• Love 7

I always thought of that song as being about her body and like you said radishcake her mojo. That song always makes me think of the line "Do fries come with that shake?"  I'm a little nervous about seeing Betsy do a jive. The song is a little slower than a normal jive song but that dance still takes stamina to get through it. 

I'm a little nervous about seeing Betsy do a jive. The song is a little slower than a normal jive song but that dance still takes stamina to get through it.

I'm betting Girlfriend's gotta throw a cartwheel or two in and end with the splits. . . . ****andthecrowdgoeswiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilddddddd*******

• Love 2

Holy shit, Betsey. If I'm around at 72 and can do the splits and cartwheels, I'll be doin' 'um at Kroger and in line at the bank.  

I hope Chong kills it. l I didn't know I'd flove him, but I do.

I also hope this memory year thing doesn't blow.

• Love 5

This "memorable year" theme is something they've been doing like the last 6 seasons or so and I've more often than not ended up loving it.  We've gotten some really amazing dances (JR & Karina's tearjerker Rumba and Meryl & Mak's Foxtrot just as an example) Even though some of the stories that go with the dances are sometimes overly sappy we got the fun bits of nostalgia like Elizabeth Berkley dancing to I'm So Excited because she chose for her year that infamous "I'm so excited, I'm so scared!" Saved By the Bell episode. This year it seems we're getting at least some fun numbers (THE CARLTON! Tommy dancing to Elvis!) though as noted above I'm curious to see how a Samba to Milkshake will play out. 

I read that Derek/Bethanys dance has to do with her overcoming cyber-bullying.

It is. She has said that the bullying is what led to her making videos in her room. The song they're dancing to is also shockingly, for this show anyway, appropriate with the theme. It's all about people not having to try so hard and instead learning to love who they are.

As for Alfonso,  I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Witney said they're NOT doing the Carlton dance this week even with the Tom Jones song. Now maybe she's just saying that so it'd be a surprise but maybe they really won't because that's exactly when everyone is expecting it. 

I have no idea what Janel's story is outside of she's dancing a rumba to a love song, but it's looking like they might be back to showmancing it up based on the pics Janel just posted.

I saw those pictures and just sighed. And I loved all the ones rushing to defend when some call out the obvious pandering with this stuff - "her boyfriend liked the pictures on Instagram so he's clearly okay with it, it's all performance, they're just doing what the producers ask so it's all their fault, etc."

Meanwhile I too am confused by her song and what it means for her most memorable year. It's a cover by Sam Smith of Whitney Houston's How Will I Know which came out in 1985 and Janel wasn't born until 1988. So I can't see the song representing a big year in her life unless maybe it was a song she performed to for a first major performance.

Edited by truthaboutluv
I saw those pictures and just sighed. And I loved all the ones rushing to defend when some call out the obvious pandering with this stuff - "her boyfriend liked the pictures on Instagram so he's clearly okay with it, it's all performance, they're just doing what the producers ask so it's all their fault, etc."

Meanwhile I too am confused by her song and what it means for her most memorable year. It's a cover by Sam Smith of Whitney Houston's How Will I Know which came out in 1985 and Janel wasn't born until 1988. So I can't see the song representing a big year in her life unless maybe it was a song she performed to for a first major performance.

I am not surprised by showing romantic pictures since they are doing a Rumba.  It's been done many seasons, the couple goes to the beach  or some sunset location to shoot and practice their routine, or whatever. Karina, Julianne, Derek, Maks, they have all done romantic Rumba pictures on the internet prior to the show. Back before twitter and instagram the show would get the photogs to grab a romantic picture of Julianne practicing in her living room with Apolo, or Derek on the beach with his shirt  off practicing rumba and then kissing Shannon Elizabeth. This is not new and it isn't just the Chmerkovskiy brothers who do it  Perhaps there were some boyfriends or girlfriends in the past who weren't comfortable with it, but Janel's boyfriend is also an actor and he's been pretty encouraging.

I don't think it's coincidence that she just went to a Sam Smith concert with her boyfriend and posted pictures so there might even be a connection with him and the dance on Monday.  

As far as the date of the release of the song, I just don't think there's any significance to it, since Tommy Chong is dancing to Jail House Rock, a song released in the 50's but he's dancing about his jail time in the 90's. And Tom Jones' It's Not Unusual was released in the 60's even though it's been used in Fresh Prince of Belair. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 2

I don't think anyone is saying that only the Chmerkovskiy brothers have done the showmance thing (though Maks still holds the record for the most so far) or at least I wasn't. And it's interesting you bring up Derek and Shannon Elizabeth because that's when it was pretty much revealed something was going on between them and they quickly got eliminated two weeks later after his crazy meltdown on her behalf. And that's still his lowest scoring season. The point being that the whole showmance thing doesn't work. So it's not a judgement on the Chmerkovskiys per se, at least not for me, but an eyeroll at the whole thing period because it's been done before, it's so obviously forced and frankly it's a little embarrassing and makes the pairing look desperate. 

But you neglected to mention Julianne, with Apolo practicing in her living room, or practicing on the beach with Helio,  or Karina practicing with Mario Lopez,  these are 1st and 2nd place teams, or even Derek when laid on top of Maria Menounous in the Rumba in season 14, she was a poor dancer, but they still got to  a 4th place finish. Or Kelly Monaco season 15 was supposed to have been an early exit, but she got to top 3. 

So the Rumba has to have an element of romance to be successful. The ones that do well are the ones that can convince us they are dancing  Rumba  as it is intended. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 2

The Rumba has to have an element of romance yes but it doesn't have to be forced or the couple have to pretend they're madly in love or want to do each other to sell it. And in fact, often times the couples that go that route end up not having such a great dance because they're trying too hard. For me personally, two of my all time favorite rumbas on the show were Karina and JR and Mark and Shawn, neither of which had any over the top passion/forced chemistry. They were just beautiful stories told through dance.

As for the other examples, I didn't mention it because I didn't feel like being repetitive but hey I can - as I recall people eyerolled Julianne and Helio's very awkward beach scene too, especially considering dude looked twice her age even if he was only in his 30's (of course she was only 19 at the time), Karina and Mario may have made it to the end but they didn't win either, did they and Maria and Derek got eliminated on a week where she topped the leaderboard which once again proves my point that showmances do not work. Yes Maks and Meryl won but that is because of how good Meryl was and how many fans she had in her own right. 

So again, no one far as I can tell was saying anything against Val and Maks but rather just rolling their eyes at this forced crap between Val and Janel that they were trying to sell even before the season started. The whole thing is embarrassing in my opinion because everyone can see through it which is why I thought they'd gotten a clue when it seemed like they were quickly trying to backtrack after the first week.

• Love 1

I see nothing terrible about promoting a romantic rumba. The picture I saw on instagram was very pretty and well lit, and it conveyed romance. Good. That's what I want out of a Rumba.  Other than JR's tribute to war heros(it was moving but not that well danced)I don't like Rumbas about dead family members, or struggling with issues, that's a downer and the movement doesn't lend itself to those issues. Rumba is specific to being a romantic sexy dance.  

The show now has Contemporary style to dance about social problems or dead family members, so contestants should use that style because it makes better sense from a dance perspective.  JR and Karina would have had more freedom to dance that tribute well if they had Contemporary in Season 13. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 2

As for Alfonso,  I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Witney said they're NOT doing the Carlton dance this week even with the Tom Jones song. Now maybe she's just saying that so it'd be a surprise but maybe they really won't because that's exactly when everyone is expecting it. 

I mentioned this in the Alfonso thread but I'll bring it here as well..last week after the result show she said what they were dancing to but said they weren't going to do the Carlton, that they would save that for a later time. But now her and Alfonso are making it very clear they ARE doing The Carlton, the two of them have been excitingly tweeting about it every day and the DWTS Twitter/Instagram have been pushing it as well.  I guess at some point shortly after that interview they changed their minds.  Alfonso's first tweet about it and the way he said "its now official that we are doing The Carlton" made me wonder if they were going back and forth about it. I had said in the other thread that with them saying so much that they're doing THE CARLTON and not even emphasizing Jazz that I just hope Witney did put in enough Jazz content when she choreographed the dance, because I can see the judges complaining about that.

Edited by howmanywords

The thing is the couples that do a showmance (whether it be to the level of Val/Kelly or even just hints of it like Julianne/Apolo or Chelsie/Mark) almost never win. Maks and Meryl may have won but there were a lot of other forces there that weren't related to the showmance, most importantly Meryl's skill and dedicated fan base. I personally think Val had a plan pre-season to push his and Janel's chemistry and not focus on the dancing to the extent he normally does. Think he saw what worked for big bro and wanted to do the same. His roommate and friend Serge said that was his plan basically on Afterbuzz. They got some hate over it, pulled back, and are back at it again after getting the perfect score. Not sure how they'll play it tonight or what Janel's story will be but it could blow up in the face if they aren't careful. Don't worry so much about the win bro...just go with it.

I'm personally more excited to see almost all of the other couples over them though. I want to see what kind of contemporary Lea can create, if Jonathan's number will end up being a hot mess (which I hope it isn't), if Sadie can get her groove back, and then of course dear Alfonso and Carlton dance.

I saw Serge on afterbuzz twice, I didn't hear anything about a showmance being a strategy for winning?

Some showmances work really well because they brought you in and you weren't even aware.  Definitely there was a big effort by Julianne and Apolo to ensure they had something going. Otherwise, Apolo's then girlfriend Alison Baver, would not have gone on Millionaire Matchmaker this season to say that she was not allowed to go to the DWTS shows and sit in the audience, because Apolo and his partner wanted to make it about their relationship. Allison basically said Apolo's lack of respecting their relationship and acknowledging her led to their eventual break-up. That wasn't just some dabbling with pictures, that was a huge showmance, Julianne went as far as breaking off her engagement with her fiancee during the season, taking media questions about it while demonstrating dance dips with Apolo.      

In contrast, when a showmance is just nothing more than pictures and sexy hip action, that seems to upset people. It appears that Peyson Lewis, Janel's live in love, is totally on board with the whole thing, he's an actor and understands what actors do. He's encouraged to be in the audience, and he's the subject of a lot of Janel's pictures. Regardless, I'm not sure why people spend so much time hating on romantic pictures.  The Rumba is romantic, of course actors are going to act the way they have been cast for this show.  It is unfortunate that people get all twisted and don't see the show for what it is, a scripted reality show, so why not have fun be sexy and enjoy it ?  

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 3

I don't know about anyone else so I'll just speak for myself and move on since this is kind of derailing what the thread is about. Maybe I'm misinterpreting but it seems like you believe that only Val and Janel are getting judged for something that always happens and that is not what I and I don't think others were saying. Using all these other examples actually just proves the point  - it's overdone, it's tedious and more often than not people see through it which is why the showmance pairings have rarely won. That's all we've been saying. Which is what I noted when you brought up Karina/Mario, Julianne and Helio's awkward beach dance, Maria and Derek, Derek and Shannon, etc.

That yes the producers clearly love going there and the pairings are just as culpable but the fact is while some certainly fall for it, most of the time people see through that crap. And in Val's case, he turned people off the first time he went there with Kelly Monaco and it's happening again with Janel. Seriously see some of the tumblr comments and there's a reason they seemed to pull back after the first week. Chemistry between a Pro and celebrity is fine and many people have had natural chemistry. It's when it comes across like trying too hard to sell the audience on something, that it becomes eye-roll worthy. And I like I said, the show's history speaks for itself. Derek has won 5 times and not one of those wins came with people he had showmances with. Peta for all her showmance with Brandt and James, only won with Donald Driver. Mark and Sabrina got axed in Week 5 and he won with 17 year old Shawn and married Kristy. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Val had a lot of supporters with Kelly. She was supposed to be an early out during all stars because her win was controversial season 1. Surprise. She got to top 3.  When I saw the chemistry they had on the Paso Doble, I was cheering for them because they brought fire and intensity that none of the others would or could.  That was exciting to watch.   I really don't care what brings out that fire and passion if it's a showmance or not, it's what makes Ballroom dancing with the opposite sex great fun. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 1

I don't want to wade into it too far, but I think part of the point being made is the ultimate showmance still didn't get Kelly/Val a win.  It got them lots of fans, but also tons of detractors.  Val wants to win.  He's desperate to win and has been since S16, except for last season when he took a backseat to his brother.  That's fine.  Winning is great.  But I don't think Val's goal here is to make the finals and get 3rd place.  He's trying to get Janel to that trophy and it still stands that showmances can get you towards the end, but rarely are those the couples hoisting the mirrorball when all is said and done.  I think mostly because showmances tend to be polarizing.  They tend to be a bit of a love/hate thing with the audience.

According to Janel's blog her most memorable year is when she moved to LA because it was scary and exciting all at once.  The general theme of her dance is love.  So it doesn't really sound like has a specific story so much as Val probably wanted to do a rumba this week.

As for the show, I think they want to push Janel/Val and their chemistry mostly because there is no other "ship" to push this season. Everybody else is either married or has some really inappropriate age differences going on. 

Anyway, looking forward to Alfonso and I want to see Jonathan's Mean Girls dance even though I'm expecting it to be a hot mess.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1
I don't want to wade into it too far, but I think part of the point being made is the ultimate showmance still didn't get Kelly/Val a win.  It got them lots of fans, but also tons of detractors.  Val wants to win.  He's desperate to win and has been since S16, except for last season when he took a backseat to his brother.  That's fine.  Winning is great.  But I don't think Val's goal here is to make the finals and get 3rd place.  He's trying to get Janel to that trophy and it still stands that showmances can get you towards the end, but rarely are those the couples hoisting the mirrorball when all is said and done.  I think mostly because showmances tend to be polarizing.  They tend to be a bit of a love/hate thing with the audience.

Yes...exactly.

The never-ending debate about showmances....I'll leave that alone.  Well actually I will say this...it doesn't bother me. I get more upset with judges & scoring than anything else.  Whether it's a showmance....or some other drama that they are pushing that week....it's part of the show and I shrug my shoulders to it.

As for the dance itself..........

All I can say is that Rumba when done right can be so moving and emotional.  My all time favs were: Derek & Maria, Maks & Brandy, Derek & Nicole (lady in red), and Val & Kelly.  I want to be moved by the performance and feel something.  It is so rare when the celeb masters the technique & emotion of that dance. I love seeing sensual/passionate rumba's. They are beautiful.  BTW I am a grown woman, don't "ship" anybody and understand that DWTS is a tv show. I'm excited for Janel & Val's rumba b/c I think Val is very good at getting his celeb to understand the correct character of each dance.

Can't wait to see what Witney's jazz looks like.  Excited to see whatever Sadie does.  I expect to be moved by Lea's contemporary as well.  I'm very excited for tonight.  Which is unusual b/c  I usually dread this episode.

• Love 4

The never-ending debate about showmances....

Can't wait to see what Witney's jazz looks like.  Excited to see whatever Sadie does.  I expect to be moved by Lea's contemporary as well.  I'm very excited for tonight.  Which is unusual b/c  I usually dread this episode.

Showmance, shmomance, I agree.  I'm sick of it infesting so many of the threads on so many of the forums, and having to scroll scroll scroll.   The same thing happens with obsessive pro and anti "shipping" posts in so many of my favorite drama shows, like Once Upon a Time, Sleepy Hollow, etc.   I hate it.

Would love to see a specific showmancing/shipping thread in all of the affected forums, where those who want to debate, rhapsodize, and obssess about whatever showmance/ship compels or repulses them can do it there.   

I'm more excited than usual about tonight's show, too!   Can't wait to see the Carlton, can't wait to see Tommy Chong doing a jive to Jailhouse Rock, can't wait to see if Janel can continue her winning streak by doing a fantastic rumba!   Will Bethaney finally be scored fairly, in spite of the judge's pandering to the Hough?  Can't wait to see what is the most memorable year for someone who's only 17-years-old.  Betsey doing splits and walkovers and charming me with her sheer ditzy-ness. Will Waltrip finally fall flat on his ass and not get back up, so that I can be rid of him?   It would make me so smiley if this episode meets even half of my high expectations.

• Love 6

I'm excited to see Alfonso's Carlton Jazz dance. I really hope that Witney has managed to create a true dance around the Carlton move- that will be the greatest challenge for them this week! Just doing the Carlton for a minute won't really cut it.

• Love 1

I'm excited to see Alfonso's Carlton Jazz dance. I really hope that Witney has managed to create a true dance around the Carlton move- that will be the greatest challenge for them this week! Just doing the Carlton for a minute won't really cut it.

That's my biggest concern for them.  The Carlton is great and I'm looking forward to it, but they need to create a dance around that.   A minute of Carton doesn't really work.  Though in their favor, Witney should be one of the stronger jazz choreographers.

All I've got is Sadie's uncles are apparently in her dance.  How or why I don't know.  Janel is dancing first tonight.

I end up feeling like such a horrible human being...I've gotten so cynical with this show.  I know that Lea and Jonathan's father's have passed so I'm not talking about them.  But the celebs sometimes go searching for some tragedy to share.  I remember a few seasons back Corbin Bleu's sister had the flu when she was a kid or something.  Ok I'm joking but I remember he was reaching super hard with his that year.

Oh I remember that and trying to keep my eyes in my head from rolling them too hard.  I understand many people don't have many tragedies, but really? 

All I've got is Sadie's uncles are apparently in her dance.  How or why I don't know.  Janel is dancing first tonight.

I thought it's Jonathan because I'm at the page to do the Raise the Paddle deal and it says next up is Jonathan and Allison.

Edited: Scratch that because it just mysteriously changed to Betsey and Tony.  So, I don't know.

Edited by ShaNaeNae

Sadies' Uncles?  man this show has scraped the bottom of the barrel. 

So bummed that the Rumba I've been waiting for for 4 seasons from Val is just going to get slagged because they're up first. 

I hope the fun comes fast from Tommy and Alfonso, because I don't want to endure a bunch of downer dances waiting for them. 

• Love 1

And that's what happens when work is busy and it takes me a while to check on things. Seriously no more showmance talk. Pro/con who is/is not doing it. yargh. Now I hate that word you guys, you are killing independent George! Whoops wrong show. ;)

But for real. Let's move on to show content and I will time out if need be. You have been warned. 

• Love 4

I don't know where to put this* but Sadie and Bethany have a new video up and are totally winning me over (with their gravely voices!), and I now want to see them paired in the switch-up. (Shhhhhhh... that's totally how that works.) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1AQmn_XE4o

*it's not technically about this weeks show but I don't want to put it in both Sadie and Bethany's threads - feel free to move it if there's a better place!

EDIT. Okay bringing it back to show content. Oh no, is Sadie's dance about her grandfather's awful comments? Don't erode my like for you Sadie!

Edited by kitcloudkicker