Type keyword(s) to search

Unspoiled Speculation: They're All Suspects

Trini

I'm not saying Detective Carver is the killer.  I'm just saying consider the following:

• Apparently, everyone in Gracepoint has lived there since the Big Bang, except for
  • Detective Carver, who just started working in Gracepoint last week (and presumably moved there about the same time), and then
  • All of sudden, Danny's dead
  • Carver kept pressing the suicide angle
  • Carver covered his shoes before walking into Danny's room, as if to make it look like he cared about preserving evidence.  Then he plopped his ass down on Danny's bed.
  • When the Chief of Police suggested that Carver take himself off the case, Carver vehemently refused
  • Love 2

Mark's emotional reactions seemed all over the place.  What did he do to cause him to apologize to Danny's body.  Or, perhaps not do?

What does Tom know that he's desperate to hide right now?

I do think it's a bit early for speculation.

• Love 1

Mark's emotional reactions seemed all over the place.  What did he do to cause him to apologize to Danny's body.  Or, perhaps not do?

As a parent, you always feel a responsibility to take care and protect your child. Mark was apologizing to Danny for not being there to take care of and protect him when he needed him the most. It felt very natural to me that he would say that to Danny and I think any parent would say and feel the same if something happened to their child. That was my take on it anyway.

• Love 4

What does Tom know that he's desperate to hide right now?

I do think it's a bit early for speculation.

His reaction to the police informing the family was very different than his wife and daughter's reaction--it was as if he knew and had already grieved.  The morgue scene caused me to think that he had previously heard a threat to Danny and now he is swearing vengence.

• Love 1

While I imagine there will be a bunch of twists and turns before the show ends so I'll probably change my mind on who is guilty a few times, here are my thoughts based on the Pilot. I actually don't think any of the family members did it. I do think the dad acted a bit oddly in his reaction but I thought on the couch he was just trying to stay strong for his wife and daughter and his reaction was that of someone almost choking on their grief. I also think he is or was having an affair and lied about where he was that night which will of course come out and make him seem guilty but I don't think it's him. 

I'm undecided about Ellie's son. I think he and Danny were involved in something that may have led to Danny's death and that's why he deleted all the texts and stuff but I don't think he killed Danny. I also wonder if they snuck out together that night which is probably what the texts were about and after they separated whatever happened to Danny happened. 

The old guy seems almost too obvious right now but a definite strong possibility. The sister's boyfriend was definitely acting a little odd so he's a possibility and the woman who owns the inn/hotel, something about her makes me think she may know something. And then of course there's the weird lady lurking around. I think I need to see another episode to truly start zeroing in one person but I am definitely intrigued. I can also see why so many are wondering about the timing of the detective coming into town but somehow I don't see him being the guilty one. Of course that might be the "shocking finale" so who knows. Interested to see what the reporter knows about him.

Edited by truthaboutluv

Jack (Nick Nolte)'s wildlife observation group is just a cover for a drug running operation that uses kids, such as Danny and Tom, as kayak mules (Jack is a like a Lord Varys of drugs). Jack pissed off one of his suppliers, who offed Danny as a warning to Jack.

I went to suspecteveryone.com, and they're not kidding. Some people even cast a vote for Renee Clemons, the San Francisco Globe reporter. Of course, there is something a little suspicious about someone who only needs a couple of hours to travel from San Francisco to half way to the Oregon border. She's looking for a big story, and she's not willing to wait around anymore for one to happen. So she trolls the internet and becomes friends with a naive, easily manipulated kid. Then, with her lead foot super powers, she drives up one evening, whacks Danny, and drives back home in time for work the next day.

That being said, I'm not sure I would go to suspecteveryone.com. Just about everyone who had a speaking role in the first episode is listed, but not quite everyone. I'm guessing that Danny's murderer is listed on suspecteveryone.com, so anyone who was excluded didn't murder Danny. Also, I think there may be 1 or 2 characters listed there who weren't in the first episode, though I'm not sure about that. But if that is the case, I'm guessing those characters will show-up eventually (though it would be hilarious if they listed a "character" who never appears in the show).

• Love 3

I'm with those on the drug trail as the backstory to Danny's murder.  The fact that a mother of a young boy, and to boot a police officer, is so uninterested in cocaine dealing (and with kids again) makes no sense unless this cop is part of the ring.

• Love 1

Right now I'm going with the blond inn-keeper having an affair with Mark. Between the affair and the drug dealing she's way too involved. I think she killed him so Mark could leave his wife. The oldest girl will be out of the house in a few months, but the kid was still young. Maybe Ark told her he couldn't leave his family.

But I also like the theory that Elli did it and that's why she's acting like the worst cop ever. She's trying to find a way out without hurting anyone else.

I can't help but feel like it would be sickly satisfying if Ellie's husband killed Danny. If Danny and Tom were involved with drugs or something, Ellie's husband (Joe?) might have overheard the boys talking, sought Danny ought at the Wilderness thing to threaten him, and accidentally killed him, then threw him off the cliff. Ellie would be shattered and I would laugh because I hate her and it would prove that she is, in fact, clueless and a horrible police officer who doesn't deserve the job she has let alone a promotion.

I finally have firm suspects. The two most likely to me right now, is Vince (guy who works for Mark) and Paul (the priest). Right now I'm leaning more towards Vince for a couple of reasons. One, there is something shifty and slightly sinister about him all the while he doesn't seem to be anyone's radar, particularly the police. Two, I don't think that brief shot of what looked like blood in his van was an accident. Three, that creepy moment when he closed the door while alone in the shed with Tom. Obviously he didn't kill Tom but I feel like the writers wanted to create that fear for a reason and it's interesting it was Tom because we still don't know what he deleted off his computer and hard drive. Four, there is clearly some tension below the surface between him and Mark on account of his being promised some type of promotion for awhile. Five, I thought he was a little too eager to go inform Mark about the conversation with the old guy and Owen and place suspicion on him and the promos for next week show him leading the witch hunt against the guy.

Also, I think his pushing for the promotion and bringing it up is relevant in showing that he likely wanted more money and who knows what he's into to get more money. Which in turns may tie into why Danny had 500 dollars in his room and whatever Tom didn't want anyone to see. Finally, much as in real life I'm like Carver towards these so called psychics, I do think on the show we're supposed to believe he's genuine and the guy did say Danny was killed by someone he knew and the scene of Vince having lunch with the family in last night's episode clearly shows that he knows the family very well. Paul is definitely weird, without question but I'm leaning more towards his weirdness has to do with whatever history he and Beth has and not because he killed Danny.

• Love 1

Unless they show Ellie and her guys getting home earlier that Thursday before the murder, I'm pretty sure the Millers returned in the late AM of Friday, the day Danny was discovered. Joe might have Reporter Renee's magic LeadFoot powers , but they haven't been hinted at yet.  I do think that Joe is into something. I don't trust his niceness. Not yet anyway.

Vince is a solid contender, along with Susan. Father Paul? Has ish.

Maybe Carver's health problems stem from his being lead on the Rosemont case. As in, he and his wife were attacked due to Carver being lead detective and how he acts with others? If he's as good a cop as his "buzz" leads us to believe, then he'd of course still feel the weight of a case he botched.  Maybe the situation was such that Carver was played by the killer? That would explain part of why Renee is so hell-bent on nibbling away at Carver. She thinks she's doing a public service.

I can't help but feel like it would be sickly satisfying if Ellie's husband killed Danny. If Danny and Tom were involved with drugs or something, Ellie's husband (Joe?) might have overheard the boys talking, sought Danny ought at the Wilderness thing to threaten him, and accidentally killed him, then threw him off the cliff. Ellie would be shattered and I would laugh because I hate her and it would prove that she is, in fact, clueless and a horrible police officer who doesn't deserve the job she has let alone a promotion.

I, too, started suspecting Ellie's husband while watching E5 last night. It could make sense that Danny wouldn't want the killer caught (if the psychic is to be believed) because he's the father of his best friend and that Tommy deleted his texts and computer files because of something he/his father/Danny knew.

Actionmage - I could be wrong, but I think Ellie returned to work before Danny's body was found, which means they probably got back the day before, so her husband would have been in town at the time of the murder.

• Love 2

New theory.

Joe, Ellie's hubby, is an ex-EMT. He is the Secret Drug Kingpin of Gracepoint. He'd have contacts, he'd have met some criminals at some time, thus other "business" connections. If he's not the kingpin, he's high on the chain, due to his former job.  Tom and Danny were supposed to be kept out, maybe, but ended up being minor parts. Danny got tired/scared of the whole shebang and tried to leave/come clean, but Super Cool Househubby Joe was threatening Danny, trying to keep him from squealing to Ellie/ the police department. The murder may or may not have been intentional, but the cover up seals the deal, legally, I would think.

Paul, as a recovering addict, may play a part in the drug subculture in GP. Not sure where. I added him in due to him being able to actually scoring pills, so he may have less than savory contacts &/or less-than-ethical medical professionals he can contact.

It's not a fully cooked idea, but Joe has been acting shifty the last couple of episodes, so I was wondering why he would be presented like he was a potential murderer.

• Love 1

New theory.

Joe, Ellie's hubby, is an ex-EMT. He is the Secret Drug Kingpin of Gracepoint. He'd have contacts, he'd have met some criminals at some time, thus other "business" connections. If he's not the kingpin, he's high on the chain, due to his former job.  Tom and Danny were supposed to be kept out, maybe, but ended up being minor parts. Danny got tired/scared of the whole shebang and tried to leave/come clean, but Super Cool Househubby Joe was threatening Danny, trying to keep him from squealing to Ellie/ the police department. The murder may or may not have been intentional, but the cover up seals the deal, legally, I would think.

Paul, as a recovering addict, may play a part in the drug subculture in GP. Not sure where. I added him in due to him being able to actually scoring pills, so he may have less than savory contacts &/or less-than-ethical medical professionals he can contact.

It's not a fully cooked idea, but Joe has been acting shifty the last couple of episodes, so I was wondering why he would be presented like he was a potential murderer.

I agree with most of what you posted, but want to add Chloe to the story.  I think she hit her brother with a pipe (or something) and killed him.  The others are involved in the cover-up.  I think they expected Ellie to be the lead detective--and would foul-up the investigation just like Carver did in Rosemount. 

Great ideas here.  I was also wondering about Ellie's nephew that works for the papers.  He seems to be a nice guy, but what if he got caught up in something?  I don't think he's cold enough to kill his cousin just to create a big news story in Gracepoint, but I wonder who would be.

I was also wondering about Ellie's nephew that works for the papers.  He seems to be a nice guy, but what if he got caught up in something?

I can't see Owen being the killer. He is too easily duped and rattled. How is he supposed to be a murder-master-mind? The other reporter easily led him around on a string and Nick Nolte (Jack?) quickly dispatched of him. He is terrible at keeping secrets and is pretty naive. He does have some research smarts, but that's about it.  Him being the killer just doesn't seem like a twist that would ring true for me. Although it is often who you least suspect, there must be some clues sprinkled along the way and I see none with him.

On the other hand, Vince and Susan are too creepy to be the murderer. I'm sure that next episode we are going to find out what Susan's thing is and how that turned Vince into the very weird person that he is now. I bet she's a child abuser and Vince was one of her victims. Tom was being lined up to be next.

Gemma seems too helpful (she could have let Carver die and that would have further disrupted the case), Ellie hasn't got a clue, Paul is far too cliche (and is obviosly another Jack - person with a secret who will be persecuted), Mark lacks a motive (unless he is totally stone cold) and Kathy seems too normal. The reporter wasn't in town and Tom seems too frightened to do anything. He can't even run away successfully. The backpacker is a red-herring (and has a good alibi) and I'd bet Danny's sister's boyfriend is one too.

I'm liking Danny's sister (Danny could have been hiding her money). Owen's Mom probably offers some clues - there must be a reason she was introduced. Customer through her nephew Tom? I can't rule out Ellie's husband either, though he did seem reasonably troubled about letting Tom ride his bike alone which he would not have been if he was the killer.

I think it is Chloe, because of drugs and for something silly like wanting more attention. But I don't think she is alone, I just can't place anyone else

I think my theory is not very strong but I don't think the writing is great either, so.

Something that keeps coming to me is the comments made by Danny's mom about her running long distance.  She and others have commented about that fact.  What clue is there in that?  Did her running ability somehow help her get Danny's body to the shore and then back to her house to avoid being detected? I'm grasping at straws here, but why all the hoopla about her running ability?  Is this a red herring?

Also, what's the name of the woman Danny's dad had the one night stand with?  What if Danny caught them and she sneaked away and accidentally. killed Danny?  In any event, I still think Danny was killed accidentally, by someone who went to throw something away or scare him and it hit him in the head too hard.  They then panicked and tried to cover it up.

Who ever burned the boat that the evidence was in, had to have another boat to get back to shore. Who has access to another boat?

• Love 1

I am afraid we will find out who the killer is, but we will realize that there was no way we could have predicted (someone we never saw or who was never mentioned in relation to Danny) or that the reason will be so absurd that it will make me just mad

• Love 1

Well tonight's episode sure shed a bright light on Pastor Paul. However he was a bit too glaring with the creepy side looks at Carver when he walked away and creepy veiled threat to Damian aka Tom (seriously that kid is starting to creep me out as much as Damian did). In my opinion, the more subtle finger pointing was at Ellie's husband. I felt like her comment to creepy Susan about how could she not know what was going on in her own house may have been there to bite her in the ass later and her late night bitching to her husband about what does he do all day also seemed interestingly placed. Maybe the really out there theory that he's the town's dealer and Tom and Danny were assisting and something went awry and he killed Danny may very well be true. Or as others noted, all the evidence may all be leading to nothing and instead it's just some random person that makes no sense.

• Love 1

I am afraid we will find out who the killer is, but we will realize that there was no way we could have predicted (someone we never saw or who was never mentioned in relation to Danny) or that the reason will be so absurd that it will make me just mad

I hope not that would piss me off. A good.mystery should be one that the audience can figure out in the end. A great mystery is one that after its over and the viewer goes back over the show/movie/book can see all the puzzle pieces that they missed the first time around (IMO).

I just mentioned in the episode thread that I thought it was Vince since the scene with Tom asking Vince to fix his skateboard. Vince was acting real sketchy.

However, now that we're near the end I wonder if Vince is either the final red herring or he helped cover it up but not the killer?

There's something really off about Tom so now I'm going with either Vince or Tom killed Danny. If Tom did it, I definitely think Vince helped him cover it up.

• Love 1

The most coherent thoughts I've had are that either Joe or Tom did it, and whatever is on Tom's computer is related to the money that was found under Danny's floorboard, which is somehow related to whatever Joe is doing all day that is not watching the kids or taking care of the house. Either Joe did it, and Tom's hiding stuff to try to avoid the same fate, or Tom did it, and Joe's trying to keep his sociopathic son from getting caught. I'm also guessing that either:

(1) Vince covered up what anything he might have seen out of some misguided loyalty or involvement in the same activities, or

(2) Vince was carrying the body of animal into that van from a hunting trip and Susan's obsession with her son caused her to mistake Joe for Vince on the beach.

I still think that was Joe out at the cabin (when Ellie mentioned that Vince wore a size 10 shoe I immediately thought, "what size does Joe wear?") when Carver collapsed, trying to remove some smoking gun evidence that is still there. It might also be the same thing Tom was after when he disappeared and then got caught/found in the woods.

• Love 1

I'm wondering if they shot two or more endings to Gracepoint so that the broadcast ending could be switched in this last week based on how the show did and whether it was going to be brought back for a second season.
If it has been cancelled, the big difference in the ending for Gracepoint could then be killing off Carver by massive coronary in the last scene.

There's been quite a bit of speculation in the episode topics. As we wind down to the finale, I just wanted to leave a gentle reminder that this topic is for Speculation WITHOUT Spoilers, and spoilers include any and all knowledge of Broadchurch. Thanks!

I'm still speculating, but what keeps standing out to me is how Ellie's son spoke to the pastor.  He threatened to tell police that the pastor hit Danny if the pastor didn't give him back the computer.  That was pretty wicked, if it wasn't true.  What kids does that?  Maybe that kid is really evil.  I never did buy his story about the day he disappeared.  Was he framing someone for Danny's murder?  Was he protecting himself or someone else?