Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: The Final

• Start Topic

Wait wait wait - there's a sewing show, too? I wonder if our PBS will pick it up ... Oh, screw that. I wonder if we can catch the shows when they originally air on one of the BBC America channels. Between the 300 uVerse channels, Amazon Prime and Roku, maybe we can find it somewhere.

Well--I was a little disappointed in the finale.  I feel that all the bakes should be taken into account as anyone can have one bad day.  Richard and Luis were far more consistent and adventurous throughout the competition than Nancy.  Although I did see some personality in her and her comments at the end about why she called Paul "the male judge" ha!  As for where to watch previous season of this show and the British Sewing Show, they are all on YouTube. I have been binge watching the previous seasons of the Bake Off for the last few weeks.  Now that I know there's a sewing show and its on YouTube, I'll be watching that one as well using my Roku to watch YouTube (ah the options we have nowadays).  Side note: BBC America does have terrible programming doesn't it?

I also love the updates of all the Bake Off contestants at the end of the finale.  It's nice to see what your favorite contestant is up to now.  

• Love 2
(edited)

This is one of the things that pisses me off about BBC America. They could easily air original British shows 24/7, but instead their programming is primarily  Top Gear, Dr. Who, and endless repeats of 25 year old Star Trek TNG, which - heads up, BBCA - ISN'T A BRITISH SHOW. /end of rant

Quilt fairy: I actually wrote an email saying the same thing to the BBC America programming people.  This was about a year or so ago, when I was getting that channel.  Their reply was....unsatisfactory.  Blah blah, we put on what people will watch, blah blah blah, we're glad you enjoy our programming....I'm not even sure anyone read it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who just binge watched every old season on Youtube! The video for season 4 is terrible, and I still watched it! I'm going to go read posts in the Previous seasons forum so I don't spoil anything for the people here. 

Edited by Pjxf99
(edited)

Congratulations to Nancy.  I would have been happy whoever won, though.  I really liked the scenes they showed of their families.  The final showstopper looked like a royal pain to make and they all did well.  The only thing about the showstopper I didn't care for is that it's mainly a centerpiece and not something that really appeals to me to eat (it's okay but not like, mouth-watering), as opposed to many of the other delicious things they have baked on this show.

I really want to watch the previous seasons now, this quickly became my favorite cooking/baking show on tv.  I loved the whole presentation, the hosts and the judges, the contestants.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 5

Silly me.  I did read some spoilers about the finale, but evidently I misread them because I though Luis was the winner so I was surprised to see Nancy take it.

Wonder if the fact that PBS owns the rights to some of these shows is the reason they are not shown on BBC America?  

The reason PBS owns the rights, I think, is because BBCA didn't buy them.   

BBCA: Great concept, lousy execution. I'm still hoping that someone will take another go at a U.S. version.

• Love 7

I actually saw this back when it aired, but I was a bit sidelined with an elbow-tendon-problem that kept me from typing.  I'm giddy with the ability to type without pain, I tell you.  

So DVRs really help with the pledge drive stuff and whereas I was aware of it, I just went breezing right past it.  I am a PBS supporter (and two different NPR stations while I'm at it) and I don't begrudge them the need to raise money....but man-alive, get a marketing strategist in there to school them in the when, how and where segments.  Plus, for a bit I thought I was hallucinating my ass off, because a commercial....a freaking commercial for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel played at the start of the show.  

You can do one, or you can do the other, PBS.  Sneak in one "well, this also features a lot of British accents...people will hardly notice" from "a sponsor" (dude, that was a freaking commercial) OR fund-raise, but do choose between the two, if you would.  Although my gratitude for the lack of Suze Oreman on a 55 inch screen can hardly be overstated.   She is, apparently, the financial guru most likely to make MidWesterners tune and pledge.  

Back to the show.   Well, I was glad enough to see Nancy win.  I'd have been glad to see any of them win, which is a lovely feeling.  The judging was clearly fair and the families were bursting with pride. It was great to see everyone at the end (slightly scary teeth guy, whose teeth were mercifully not featured) and what a fun show.   

I am so glad it will be back next year.  I guess I wish Richard had won, but it isn't a bitter disappointment.  Just I wished he had. up until they showed Nancy's face when she did win and ....yeah, that was such an "Aw...." inducer, I was just as glad that she had won. 

• Love 5

Do you think if Top Gear gets a new host due to the firing of Jeremy Clarkson that BBCA will have to find something else to fill 20 of the 24 hours on the air?  We can only hope.

• Love 1

Oh they've shown hours and hours and hours of now really old Kitchen Nightmares, I suspect we'll be watching Top Gear reruns for decades.  Sigh.  Plus BBCA doesn't own rights to this show.  PBS does.  We might get more Masterchef The Professionals (maybe, I wish) but I doubt it would change bake off at all.  

I'm fine with PBS owning the rights if they would just play the episodes and not shove it off their schedule after the first run.  And Comcast wouldn't even let all the current season episodes stay in the On Demand queue until the season was over.  It was just ten episodes, sheesh.  It would be great if they would put up all the seasons so I could go back and watch them on the big tv in high def, not in crappy low res on YouTube on my tablet. (This show really does look great in high def, btw)

• Love 3

Thanks to the Netflix, I'm just now getting up to speed on this delightful show.  What a joy to see 12 really nice and awesome people compete like adults in a cooking competition ('adults' as opposed to the petty bickering that's encouraged on American shows).  After binge-watching the last few days, I thought the final was absolutely excellent and while I was rooting for all three, I'm thrilled that Nancy won. She nailed the final and was rewarded accordingly.  Love the contestants, love the judges and while the hosts could dial it back a bit, this is a terrific show.  Thank you Brits and BBC, you have throughly entertained me once again.

I'm watching current season being shown on PBS but am having trouble finding past seasons on youtube.  :-(

I'm still hoping that someone will take another go at a U.S. version.

Oh, I'm sure it will be done in the US and I'm equally sure they will ruin it.  I've seen how we muck up successful Brit shows (Masterchef comes to mind) and there is no hope for a good US version.   I'm glad it wasn't picked up by BBCA because they chop shows to bits until they are almost unrecognizable.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 1

I just watched this season on Netflix (They call it Season 1). What a wonderful show! Everything, from the tent to the setting to the music to the judges to the contestants, and not forgetting their fabulous creations, was a delight. Nancy was my favorite from Episode 1, but she wasn't as showy as some of the others, so I was surprised and pleased that she ended up the winner. I will definitely be checking Youtube for old seasons!

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2015 at 7:27 PM, lark37 said:

Well--I was a little disappointed in the finale.  I feel that all the bakes should be taken into account as anyone can have one bad day.  Richard and Luis were far more consistent and adventurous throughout the competition than Nancy.  

I've been watching on Netflix , so I'm late to the party. But I agree that past bakes should be taken into account.  Personally I think that someone that's done well on all the prior bakes and then has a bad last bake should win over a baker that has had so so prior bakes and one really good bake. I mean if you're not going to take the prior bakes into account why not just crown the winner after the first episode.

I liked Richard and was hoping he'd win, but he really crashed and burned on those last 3 bakes. I feel like Luis should have won over Nancy since he was more consistent.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 5:10 AM, Rickster said:

The trouble I had with the viennoiserie challenge is that the amount of time to execute it was really not enough, and it's not a question of working quickly and precisely like the technical challenge, it's the time to let the dough chill several times and then properly rise. It's almost like setting them up to fail, rather than letting them do their best in the final.

I've watched a couple of seasons now and a lot of times it feels like they are setting the bakers up to fail with the limited time they give them. I get that the time limit creates the drama of "will they be able to finish in time", but I really don't like watching someone fail because they just didn't have enough time to properly chill/bake the food long enough.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2015 at 2:33 PM, PaulaO said:

The past seasons are on YouTube. I'm up to season 3 . What's on YouTube has some wonky audio but if like me, you are hooked, you'll adapt. I found season 2 more enjoyable than season 1 . And season 2 has the squirrel shot in the final!

I wish that I could find past seasons, but I haven't been able to find any of the older seasons on YouTube.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Fireball said:

I agree that past bakes should be taken into account.  Personally I think that someone that's done well on all the prior bakes and then has a bad last bake should win over a baker that has had so so prior bakes and one really good bake

How would that work, though? A point system that was additive from week to week? There would need to be some way to ensure fairness if the entire run of the show always counted and cumulative goodness always had to be kept in mind. I can imagine it being incredibly frustrating to see someone who did the best this week eliminated because they just barely escaped elimination last week and thus had the lowest total. I think the present system is the only sensible one: basically like The Amazing Race, where the idea is to avoid elimination each week, and then do best in the last week. Which I guess is the answer to:

21 hours ago, Fireball said:

if you're not going to take the prior bakes into account why not just crown the winner after the first episode.

That's why not. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

basically like The Amazing Race, where the idea is to avoid elimination each week, and then do best in the last week. Which I guess is the answer to: 

But on The Amazing Race coming in first gives you an advantage on the next leg. Here coming in first doesn't give you an advantage and coming in last doesn't adversely affect you either.  Idk I guess I just really didn't want Nancy to win; I thought she should have left the episode before.

• Love 1

I can't rewatch this episode. I've just finished the first nine, and there's no way I can sit through this finale. I just don't see how someone who wins five Star Bakers is not the best baker in the tent. What's the point of Star Baker? 

It's not that I dislike Nancy: she grew on me in this rewatch. She was very consistent, had neat little doodads, and definitely applied her years of experience to the bakes. But she wasn't the best baker. I'm not even sure she was second best.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, cherrypj said:

I can't rewatch this episode. I've just finished the first nine, and there's no way I can sit through this finale. I just don't see how someone who wins five Star Bakers is not the best baker in the tent. What's the point of Star Baker? 

It's not that I dislike Nancy: she grew on me in this rewatch. She was very consistent, had neat little doodads, and definitely applied her years of experience to the bakes. But she wasn't the best baker. I'm not even sure she was second best.

This show has always judged the contestants based on how they perform on the day/weekend. Star Baker specifically rewards that. Even Paul and Mary often do not take consideration past weeks' performance. They almost always eliminated contestants on how they did on the weekend compared to the others. This is probably the most fair.

Having said that, Richard was one of my favourites and I was sad that he didn't win. 

• Love 5

I also caught this on Netflix. I found at the end I was cheering for Richard, but I expected he wasn’t going to win after seeing how his bakes turned out. Early on, I had thought Nancy or Luis had a strong chance, but that was before Richard was the star baker so many times!

I loved when Nancy said that she avoided calling the male judge by his name because of her deep hidden passion for him. 

The whole show was just delightful and soothing. This last episode had some of my least favorite bakes because everyone was so tense. But I adored the picnic scenes and happy bakers with their families. I will be checking out the other seasons for sure. 

• Love 5
On ‎02‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, cherrypj said:

The point of Star Baker is to reward whomever had the best bakes on any particular weekend.  And the person with the worst bakes on any particular weekend is eliminated, including the very last weekend.  That's how the show works.

• Love 5
On 2/26/2018 at 4:27 PM, cherrypj said:

I’m pretty sure the “tarte au colon” had something to do with it. :)  After the less than stellar first day, Richard would need to be flawless and Nancy and Luis stumble badly in the showstopper. And Richard knew it too. 

I personally thought Nancy was by far the most consistent baker in the tent. Not the flashiest. But she had a quiet, steady competence that was hard to beat. I was delighted that she won although, going in, I would have been happy with any of them winning.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The point of Star Baker is to reward whomever had the best bakes on any particular weekend.

Exactly. And I'd also say that Star Baker was instituted (I don't think they had it in the very first series, yet unaired in the US) partly to recognize the many good bakers along the way who might not be the ultimate winner or even make it to the final round. And then everything is reset to zero for the following week. Nothing is cumulative from week to week.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Rinaldo said:

Exactly. And I'd also say that Star Baker was instituted (I don't think they had it in the very first series, yet unaired in the US) partly to recognize the many good bakers along the way who might not be the ultimate winner or even make it to the final round. And then everything is reset to zero for the following week. Nothing is cumulative from week to week.

Which is as it should be. 

• Love 3

I just finished re-watching this season. There were three bakers around the same talent level, imo - Chetna, Martha and Kate. They all could have gone any of the weeks they went. When I first watched it I thought Chetna was far ahead in skill but I think that was just her personality. She acted like the best baker so in my mind she was until the other proved she was or wasn't. Martha won two technicals and was overall very, very good. Her personality was the opposite, so self-deprecating and thinking she failed all the time when really she did great.

Richard was for sure the favorite going in to the final. So much so that Paul and Mary had to make a statement at the end of the semi-final "None of the bakers are our favorites! Any of them could win the final!" But I think his downfall was letting his pan au lait rolls touch and bake into each other in the signature. Paul told him before that it was a simple bake and that it had to be perfect. When Paul says that and the baker doesn't, it's like they've offended him. I think at that moment Paul scratched him off the list. Plus I think Paul was looking for any reason to not give him the crown. I don't think Paul liked the idea of Richard winning so much, like it affected the integrity of the game or something.

My favorite when I first watched and on re-watches has always been Luis. RIP :'-( I think he should have won it all. He was so consistent and made the most beautiful creations and put SO much thought and effort into them. He really took the show seriously and I loved him for that. I'm so sad he passed away. To this day my favorite bake off bake are his donuts with little sippers of Kahlua stuck in them.

• Love 2