Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

I really hope/think they will end supernatural at the end of season 15, not next year like some people think.  There are way too many plots hanging for them to finish things up by next year.  I was pretty sure they were going to end it with a Butch and Sundance or Angel ending where the last scene is the boys trying to shoot/fight themselves out of an impossible situation with out us knowing the real ending.  Either that, or they have to face a new super big bad and the last scene is  from Babys trunk with Dean saying We got Work to do.  Those are the only two endings that will satisfy me.  Either way, the ratings are good enough to go to season 15 if the boys want imo.

• Love 1

Live +7 ratings for the midseason finale!

18-49

Live + SD - 0.5
Live + 7D - 1.0
Total Increase - 0.5
Percent increase - 100%

Total Viewers

Live + SD - 1702
Live + 7D - 2629
Total Increase - 927
Percent Increase - 54%

We did pretty good.  Steady as a rock!

• Love 3
On 12/22/2017 at 5:36 PM, Casseiopeia said:

Live +7 ratings for the midseason finale!

18-49

Live + SD - 0.5
Live + 7D - 1.0
Total Increase - 0.5
Percent increase - 100%

Total Viewers

Live + SD - 1702
Live + 7D - 2629
Total Increase - 927
Percent Increase - 54%

We did pretty good.  Steady as a rock!

Wasn't the Live+SD for the MSF a 0.6? Could have sworn it adjusted up in the Finals.

• Love 2
On 12/28/2017 at 7:11 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

According to this ranking of network shows thus far in the 2017/18 season, Supernatural is second only to The Flash on the CW, down only slightly in the demo over last year, and up in total viewers.

Companion to the above

H/T to @Trisha from the Arrow forum

http://tvline.com/2017/12/29/ratings-2017-2018-tv-season-cw-best-worst/

Midseason Ratings Report: What Are The CW's Best & Worst Shows?

By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 29 2017, 12:30 PM PST

Now that they’ve wrapped their run of fresh episodes for the fall, let’s see how each network’s shows are stacking up thus far for the 2017-18 TV season, this time turning our attention to The CW.

Listed below is the average Live+Same Day demo RATING for each CW series. Beside that is the percent CHANGE versus each program’s previous full-season average (or its time slot predecessor’s performance, if noted to the right). The NOTES section also reminds of any time slot changes to keep in mind when eyeballing up/down movements. Each program’s RANK refers to perhaps the most critical measure — how it is faring compared to other shows on CW, since come springtime heads must roll to make room for shiny-and-newish pilots.

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE: The CW is the only broadcast network to hold steady in the demo year over year, and that’s due in part to Riverdale‘s sophomore surge (coming out of a summer of presumably significant Netflix bingeing) and a rock-steady, 13-year-old Supernatural. (The two dramas respectively ranked No. 6 and 5 last season.) Among the superhero slate, it should be noted that The Flash equals or beats 16 dramas from NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox, while bringing Legends back on Tuesdays very much solved last fall’s aprés-Flash problem. On the down side, Supergirl‘s Season 3 slippage is concerning, while Valor likely taught the network a lesson in venturing too far outside of its wheelhouse.

Which ranking or percent change most surprises you?cw-midseason-ratings-2017-2018.jpeg

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Not sure where this belongs, but since it bodes well for Supernatural's longevity, I'll put it here. Pedowitz has always been SPN friendly. I do hate that they mention every damn CW show except SPN in this article, especially given it's #2 status in ratings. Bah.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/cw-president-mark-pedowitz-1202652749/

Well, considering they were mentioning Pedowitz's accomplishments, it makes sense. Supernatural predates Pedowitz and isn't something he brought to the network like the other shows that were mentioned. 

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Well, considering they were mentioning Pedowitz's accomplishments, it makes sense. Supernatural predates Pedowitz and isn't something he brought to the network like the other shows that were mentioned. 

Dawn Ostroff wanted SPN  dead and buried during her tenure and once Pedowitz joined the network, he has actively worked to make sure SPN remained on the air.  He has given it the leeway to kind of do it's own thing and keeps saying as long the boys want to continue SPN has a place on the network. IMO if Pedowitz didn't love the show and support J2 it likely would have been cancelled.So yeah, I think SPN should have been included as well

12 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Dawn Ostroff wanted SPN  dead and buried during her tenure and once Pedowitz joined the network, he has actively worked to make sure SPN remained on the air.  He has given it the leeway to kind of do it's own thing and keeps saying as long the boys want to continue SPN has a place on the network. IMO if Pedowitz didn't love the show and support J2 it likely would have been cancelled.So yeah, I think SPN should have been included as well

The article was about what Pedowitz has brought to the network, Supernatural is not one of those shows. He may be a great supporter of Supernatural, but it was already a successful show before he took over. The one thing Pedowitz has done for Supernatural is continued to renew it, but he hasn't guided the show or changed anything about the show to make it what it is today. So I would not count it as one of Pedowitz's accomplishments like I would the other shows that were mentioned.

Look, I realize we all want Supernatural to be mentioned in everything--it is the No. 2 show on the network and 13 years running that is no small feat--but in this context I don't think it was appropriate; it would've given Pedowitz credit for something he didn't do.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

The article was about what Pedowitz has brought to the network, Supernatural is not one of those shows. He may be a great supporter of Supernatural, but it was already a successful show before he took over. The one thing Pedowitz has done for Supernatural is continued to renew it, but he hasn't guided the show or changed anything about the show to make it what it is today. So I would not count it as one of Pedowitz's accomplishments like I would the other shows that were mentioned.

Look, I realize we all want Supernatural to be mentioned in everything--it is the No. 2 show on the network and 13 years running that is no small feat--but in this context I don't think it was appropriate; it would've given Pedowitz credit for something he didn't do.

He has the longest running show of its kind on his network and he's kept it on the air. I think it's part of his accomplishments.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

He has the longest running show of its kind on his network and he's kept it on the air. I think it's part of his accomplishments.

Interestingly, Ostroff inherited SPN from the WB so which network President should get the most credit for SPN remaining and having a resurgence? Perhaps none of them deserve any credit at all.  LOL

The shows that article mentioned were kind of strange. Arrow's pilot was ordered in Jan 2012, so I wonder if it was being kicked around the network under Ostroff who left in 2011, but I don't know if that was the end of 2011 or early 2011. So maybe she didn't care about Arrow one way or the other and Pedowitz probably was eager to give Not!Batman a chance. Funny thing about the original promotion of Arrow was as a romantic show with a love triangle between Oliver, Laurel and Tommy. Like the superhero part wasn't even part of the first big promos. 

Supergirl not being mentioned could fall under the idea that shows that did not originate under Pedowitz were left out but technically Dynasty is not an original work either. It's a complete reboot of a show that started on ABC with all the same character names. Does that really count? Does it only count as an accomplishment if it made it to air under Pedowitz's regime. Shouldn't shows that remain on the air and are not totally losing the network money under Pedowitz's tenure be included as well? 

No matter what, a 13 year old show that continues to be the 2nd highest rated for the network is an accomplishment and should be included.

45 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Supergirl didn't even originate under the CW. If anything, Pedowitz could be credited with 'saving' it. Not gonna lie though, I didn't even notice it wasn't mentioned.

Right that's why I said it didn't originate under Pedowitz. :) I think he should be given credit for allowing it to come to the CW. And if it fails in ratings below say Valor or Dynasty then should he be given the slaps for it's failure in ratings.

7 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Ratings look good.  Spoiler TV is reporting 0.6 and 1.87

I think it's pretty certain the spin off will be picked up.

There has been more promo for this episode than any in recent memory, both from the network and from its participants actively promoting it everywhere (something that rarely happens), plus it's the return from Hellatus, so I would've expected the numbers to be up/holding anyway. That said, there's no doubt it my mind that the series was a done deal before it ever aired.

I saw WS trending all night, and never once saw SPN trending - which pisses me off a little. Even people from the show, who should know better, were using the WS tag and not the SPN tag, or using SPNfamily, which is even more useless.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I saw WS trending all night, and never once saw SPN trending - which pisses me off a little. Even people from the show, who should know better, were using the WS tag and not the SPN tag, or using SPNfamily, which is even more useless.

Well, it literally was a WS episode, not SPN.  It was just airing in the SPN time slot.  (Just consider it as pre-empting SPN :) )

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Well, it literally was a WS episode, not SPN.  It was just airing in the SPN time slot.  (Just consider it as pre-empting SPN :) )

Yeah, but Neilsen doesn't care about or recognize the WaywardSister hashtag - it literally doesn't count for anything. And for me, personally, I find it disrespectful to the mother ship that these people couldn't see fit to include it in their tweeting. That's just me though.

TVseries ratings:

Arrow was up as well.

ratings.JPG

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I hope they pair it with something like Riverview and not Supernatural next October.  It's a teen show after all.

Is it? I no longer remember how old Claire is supposed to be, but Alex is now working as a nurse. I guess Patience was in high school when we met her, but none of the younger leads (i.e. not Kim Rhodes or Briana Buckmaster) read all that much younger to me than Jensen and Jared did at the outset of Supernatural. 

35 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

There has been more promo for this episode than any in recent memory, both from the network and from its participants actively promoting it everywhere (something that rarely happens), plus it's the return from Hellatus, so I would've expected the numbers to be up/holding anyway. That said, there's no doubt it my mind that the series was a done deal before it ever aired.

According to this, it's up over last year's return from hiatus, which got a 0.58 and a 1.720.  Last night's 0.6 and 1.87 are just the fast affiliates, I think though. It will be interesting to see the final numbers.

I don't think people were being disrespectful of the original series by not including a Supernatural hashtag. SPN is in no danger of being cancelled. It's the network's #2 show and a proven commodity. They were just trying to boost the potential new show and trying to put their tweets out to others who would be tweeting about it. I wouldn't have thought about Nielsen if I was tweeting. I would have just thought about having my tweets found by other people who were talking about it. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

It is a back door pilot which means it is an episode of SPN, just like Bloodlines was. It will count in SPN's 2574802 episodes when all is said and done. The #supernatural tag is the only one that gets counted for Nielsen SM ratings.

12 minutes ago, General Days said:

I don't think people were being disrespectful of the original series by not including a Supernatural hashtag. SPN is in no danger of being cancelled. It's the network's #2 show and a proven commodity. They were just trying to boost the potential new show and trying to put their tweets out to others who would be tweeting about it. I wouldn't have thought about Nielsen if I was tweeting. I would have just thought about having my tweets found by other people who were talking about it. 

Even Pedowitz qualifies his support with "if the ratings hold" along with if the boys want to continue.  Granted it would take a drop to like a .4  continuously for it to get the plug pulled but ratings still do matter on some level. 

There is a faction that hate Supernatural because they have white male leads and they will happily tweet #waywardsisters over #Supernatural to prove a point. It absolutely happens.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

It is a back door pilot which means it is an episode of SPN, just like Bloodlines was. It will count in SPN's 2574802 episodes when all is said and done. The #supernatural tag is the only one that gets counted for Nielsen SM ratings.

I was joking (but only partly.)  Yes, officially it's an SPN episode; but from the viewer's POV, it was a WS ep.  There was no SPN about it, except the framework.  I don't think the network is worrying about SPN Nielsen SM ratings right now; but it would make a difference as to whether WS is picked up or not.  JMO, but I never pay attention to SM anyway. :)  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The biggest mistake fans were making was #waywardsisters first then #supernatural.  The only # that counted was Supernatural as far as ratings in SM and needed to be the first #.  WS would have still trended but so would SPN.  Even Berens tried to explain to fans how that worked.  The ep might have won the night otherwise.

• Love 1
Just now, ahrtee said:

I was joking (but only partly.)  Yes, officially it's an SPN episode; but from the viewer's POV, it was a WS ep.  There was no SPN about it, except the framework.  I don't think the network is worrying about SPN Nielsen SM ratings right now; but it would make a difference as to whether WS is picked up or not.  JMO, but I never pay attention to SM anyway. :)  

The network uses the Nielsen SM rarting in their overall assessment. I think that's been talked about here before.

IMO, WS was 100% an SPN episode in look and feel with less Dean and Sam and bad music (sorry but it was an overblown treacly score). For me, if  they never pick up WS to series, it still stands up as an SPN episode with less Dean and Sam but more than was in Bitten or Bloodlines. It's somewhere in the middle

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

The network uses the Nielsen SM rarting in their overall assessment. I think that's been talked about here before.

Don't you think TPTB will look at the overall trends for the night not just the Nielsen SM ratings in this case? I mean, I'm sure they're not going to cancel or pick up a show without looking at all the angles.

• Love 2

I’m confident the network has people tracking SM in addition to the Nielsen views.  Bloodlines didn’t perform horribly in the ratings but was panned by critics and fans on SM.  That’s not the case with Wayward Sisters.  I think many realize the potential of the show and the retractions were insufficient to kill that potential.   I couldn’t t have asked for more in the ratings.  I think they are in good shape.  

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, SueB said:

I think many realize the potential of the show and the retractions were insufficient to kill that potential.

What do you mean "retractions"? Are you referring to Bloodlines or WS?

1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

The biggest mistake fans were making was #waywardsisters first then #supernatural.  The only # that counted was Supernatural as far as ratings in SM and needed to be the first #.  WS would have still trended but so would SPN.  Even Berens tried to explain to fans how that worked.  The ep might have won the night otherwise.

Exactly. Thank you.

Of course the CW people are going to look at the whole picture, unless they are as dumb as it sometimes seem they are when it comes to social media. It doesn't change the fact that Supernatural is the show that's actually on and for whom the rankings count right now.

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

There is a faction that hate Supernatural because they have white male leads and they will happily tweet #waywardsisters over #Supernatural to prove a point. It absolutely happens.

Absolutely true.

• Love 2

Unrounded ratings

Supernatural ...................................... 0.604 ... (0.620 ... 0.587)
Arrow ................................................. 0.470 ... (0.497 ... 0.444)

Based On this I would say Supernatural is unlikely to adjust one away or the other. Arrow is in danger of adjusting down to 0.4 though. Does anyone know if Supernatural over ran or anything like that last night?

13 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Well evidently some fans got it.

Nielsen_Social_ratings_13-10.jpg

I backread and apparently the last two episodes before hiatus had 102 and 103 interactions so that’s some jump!  Although most shows seem to have made similar increases so obviously more people are in watching live this time of year.

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Well evidently some fans got it.

Nielsen_Social_ratings_13-10.jpg

Sweet. That's great! And also in line with how it's performed in SM for most of the season. It seems to come in with the Top 5 quite a bit. Maybe not weekly but more often than not these days.

3 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Don't you think TPTB will look at the overall trends for the night not just the Nielsen SM ratings in this case? I mean, I'm sure they're not going to cancel or pick up a show without looking at all the angles.

I was just clarifying that SM ratings are part of how they look at things now. That's it.  They can look at trending topics but Nielsen doesn't count that AFAIK.

Source: Nielsen. Interactions are a measure of total relevant U.S. social media activity grossed across Facebook and Twitter from three hours before through three hours after broadcast, local time. Engagements on owned program-related Facebook posts include post-level comments, likes and reactions, nested comments and replies, and boosted posts. Engagements on organic program-related Facebook posts include comments, shares and likes. Engagements on owned and organic program-related Tweets include Retweets, quotes, replies, and likes. Sports Events, Series, and Specials include those on Broadcast and National Cable with metrics available across social platforms. Sports Events are across all day parts. Series and Specials include new/live primetime and late fringe programming only. For multicast events, networks are listed alphabetically and metrics reflect the highest volume of interactions across all airing networks, denoted with an asterisk.

With these rating holding up the SPN standard and the momentum Wayward has--I think the series will be a LOCK to be picked up.  SPN I'm sure now will go at least 2 more years and they will pair them up probably.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Jakes said:

With these rating holding up the SPN standard and the momentum Wayward has--I think the series will be a LOCK to be picked up.  SPN I'm sure now will go at least 2 more years and they will pair them up probably.

Wayword Sisters might be a good pairing for Supergirl. They could shore Monday Nights.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wayword Sisters might be a good pairing for Supergirl. They could shore Monday Nights.

That might be a good pairing. Unless CW is seriously gonna consider dumping arrow on Fridays next season and pair it with Supernatural. But I can see that pairing on Mondays happening. I can't remember what else they have in pilot season, but with no Sabrina and the Charmed reboot dead, Wayward going to Mondays seems likely. I just wonder how the crossovers would work, unless it starts on SPN and finishes on this spin-off the following week. 

39 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I haven't seen SPN barely this season in the live + 7 ratings it only made the charts this season once and didn't make the top 25 or has someone found the stats and I haven't seem them properly. 

Supernatural has a solid fan base (and they ain't 18-34) and unless the show really jumps the shark  or repeats themes, the numbers are going to be the same.  It's going to have to be the Js who call it quits.  And I'm thinking Jared is ready.  

How did we do with social content ratings?  Not so many tweeting last night.

Unrounded Ratings

Supernatural ................... 0.567 ... (0.581 ... 0.553)
Arrow .............................. 0.419 ... (0.434 ... 0.403)

I think we might be in for a downward adjustment :( . We might have extra viewers, but they aren’t coming from the 18-49 demo! 

Edited by Wayward Son
16 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Unrounded Ratings

Supernatural ................... 0.567 ... (0.581 ... 0.553)
Arrow .............................. 0.419 ... (0.434 ... 0.403)

I think we might be in for a downward adjustment :( . We might have extra viewers, but they aren’t coming from the 18-49 demo! 

count though for overall viewers I think matters as much h as the demo these days. I read a post in the Arrow forum by someone with some inside baseball knowledge who suggested it matters as much as the demo

Man, I just love when you look at the rating sheet and your aged out  of every category except Adults 50+ ( they should just call it theGeezer category).  I'm only 55, but i guess i'm irrelevant to tv.  I thought 50 plus year old men (or women)  are able to buy stuff so their attractive to advertisers.  I feel like their telling me to sign up for AARP and join Donatello in Boca. Not happening.   Anyway, 1.9 mil seems like a good showing but its really the first ep back for the boys full time.  

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, bozodegama said:

Man, I just love when you look at the rating sheet and your aged out  of every category except Adults 50+ ( they should just call it theGeezer category).  I'm only 55, but i guess i'm irrelevant to tv.  I thought 50 plus year old men (or women)  are able to buy stuff so their attractive to advertisers.  I feel like their telling me to sign up for AARP and join Donatello in Boca. Not happening.   Anyway, 1.9 mil seems like a good showing but its really the first ep back for the boys full time.  

Welcome to the Geezer Years!  (It only gets worse from here.)  Pretty much the only mail I get these days (aside from bills) are ads for free hearing screenings, walk-in tubs, and (my favorite, which I get every month or so) for pre-paid cremation services.  (Do they think I'm going to come back to haunt them?)  

• Love 6