Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

If not for that, I think it would have pulled the usual 0.6/07. 

I agree.  Lots of people seemed to think it was on par with all the other season 13 episodes and a huge segment of the fandom are just happy to have Cas on their screens.  I haven't read much complaining except here.  But personally I'm glad it was this episode that aired on a holiday and not something like Advanced Thanatology which would have deserved much more than an 0.3  

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

On Twitter all the people who hate the show - but still watch and tweet about it - are practically joyous with the 0.3 and stating it's all because of Cas and ignoring of the brothers etc. 

Except this episode has the brothers together, separate from Cas LOL.  Also, I'm sure they aren't bitching about Lucifer being the centerpiece of 13.07. Maybe people didn't care what was going to happen to Lucifer so they didn't watch.

But they are still not counting this towards ratings for the year so whatever argument they have about Cas impacting the ratings is a moo point.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

Except this episode has the brothers together, separate from Cas LOL.  Also, I'm sure they aren't bitching about Lucifer being the centerpiece of 13.07. Maybe people didn't care what was going to happen to Lucifer so they didn't watch.

But they are still not counting this towards ratings for the year so whatever argument they have about Cas impacting the ratings is a moo point.

How you doin'? :)

I just think about the people who are sitting around after Thanksgiving and decide to check out the show because everything* else is reruns, and they happen on this WTFery. LOL!

*I realize CBS had some new shows, just saying. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I just think about the people who are sitting around after Thanksgiving and decide to check out the show because everything* else is reruns, and they happen on this WTFery. LOL!

Can you imagine NOT having watched this episode and then tuning in for 13.08 and 13.09 and being all WTF happened? LOL

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

Demos in 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54 all remained the same. We did tick up slightly in viewers from 1,202 to 1,241 though :)

I think it was @quarks from the Arrow group who mentioned in a post that total viewers is becoming more valued. I'd have to find the write up, so that uptick in viewers is good news

Edited by catrox14
1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

I don't think we'll see 0.7 again this season?  Things usually drop off after the holidays. Is the 18-49 the only demo that counts?

Not the only one that counts, but generally it's the demo that is most important to advertisers. 

Disappointing ratings, but not unexpected given that it was up against NFL. Maybe we'll get a healthy bump in the DVR numbers?

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I don't watch tv live much any more.  I like to zap thru commercials.  20 minutes of ads per hour is ridiculous.  Nielsen should change the way it gathers ratings. 

Me either, I watch nothing live.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Spoiler TV is reporting 0.5 and 1.74.    I think it's steady as she goes.  

It was preempted in San Diego County for fire coverage. That's a population center of over 3 million people. Not sure what the viewership is though. I've not seen anything that shows it will be replayed another time thus far. Or if it was my DVR didn't catch it or it wasn't noted as being SPN. Like my DVR still recorded it under SPN and Arrow but the entire thing was 2 hours of fire coverage. 

Interestingly, the CW affiliate closed their news and it's now been taken over by the CBS affiliate news so they ran the fire news on the CW and left the CBS programming untouched.

Unrounded ratings are out! Heres hoping we get another adjustment up! It’d be nice to make it thorough to mid season maintaining a 0.6-0.7 rating. 

Supernatural ............................. 0.540 ... (0.553 ... 0.526)
Arrow ........................................ 0.439 ... (0.455 ... 0.422)

Bringing this info from our Arrow forum friends. Interesting stuff about DVD sales

10 hours ago, quarks said:

I completely agree that the rise of Netflix and other streaming services has massively cut into DVD/Blu-Ray sales. I do want to note, however, that the charts at The-Numbers.com and Variety are for box retail sales (e.g., Walmart, Best Buy, Target) and do not include Amazon's sales or library sales through Baker and Taylor, so all of the numbers above are probably a little low to very low. 

By virtually all reports, Supernatural made it to a 13th season thanks largely to comparatively very strong DVD/Blu-Ray sales versus its Nielsen numbers. It will be interesting to see if streaming services will have a similar effect. 

11 hours ago, strikera0 said:

I've been going through the DVD and Blu-Ray sales charts at The-Numbers.com and I think it's true when people say that the rise of Netflix is hurting DVD sales of television series. The only shows left with good DVD/Blu-Ray sales are The Big Bang Theory, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Outlander and surprisingly, Longmire. As for the Flarrowverse shows, the only one that appears on any of the charts this year is Supergirl: Season 2 with 15,466 total units sold during opening week. For comparison's sake, season 1 of Supergirl still sold 41,706 total units it's first week of release. Season 3 of the Flash was made available the same week as Supernatural, but only Supernatural made the charts at #19 with 24,549 total units sold. The second season of The Flash still sold 44,766 units. Unfortunately, the website hasn't updated the weekly DVD and Blu-Ray charts since mid-September, but Arrow: Season 5 wasn't listed amongst the top 20 in DVD sales over at Variety.com for it's first or second week. Arrow: Season 4 still sold 27,480 units. LOT: Season 1 only sold 18,062 units during opening week. It's failure to chart should therefore surprise nobody. 

• Love 1

I still buy Blu Ray and DVDs for shows I like. I still like the pleasure of owning something forever, without relying on Netflix. Glad SPN is doing well. But SPN is a 13-year show, so most of the fans have started the collecting of the sets a decade ago. 

SPN is doing so much better than the Arrowverse it seems.

Edited by nightwing877
  • Love 3

I'm really happy with the ratings this year.  I'll admit I was a bit nervous after last season.  But it does appear that bringing Jack onboard was a good idea.  I'm not sure the fact that he's Lucifer's spawn is much of a factor, however.  I think the actor is cute, and he has good chemistry with Sam, Dean and Cas.  He could literally have been an orphan they found and are training to be a hunter, and I think the results would be the same.  

• Love 5

I think as long as it is steady a few more episodes we will get half a 14th season to wrap it up - episode 13 being 300 and the series finale. I think the guys with their young families want to be home more and frankly it's probably time. As we can see, writing a quality show like this is hard and it's getting a little lazy. I will hate them being gone but I would rather they finish strong than string it out with outlandish plots. 

• Love 1

I was fully prepared for them to end the series next season, but now I'm not so sure.  Maybe they'll choose to go out on a high, which so far, this season has been.  Lots of publicity, decent ratings, etc.  Or maybe it will convince them to stick around a while.  I would assume we'd hear something definitive at some point.  If they were ending at 13 episodes next season, wouldn't they be making some announcements about that soon?  Or would it remain a secret until they start to promote the show for next season?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MysteryGuest said:

I was fully prepared for them to end the series next season, but now I'm not so sure.  Maybe they'll choose to go out on a high, which so far, this season has been.  Lots of publicity, decent ratings, etc.  Or maybe it will convince them to stick around a while.  I would assume we'd hear something definitive at some point.  If they were ending at 13 episodes next season, wouldn't they be making some announcements about that soon?  Or would it remain a secret until they start to promote the show for next season?

They are negotiating now, based on past history.  We'll hear no later than May at the upfronts but most likely at the end of January or in early February if they do an early pickup.  However, the announcement could be either accelerated or delayed based on Wayward's status.**  Accelerated in order to set up a whole new show. Delayed because they want to work Wayward/Supernatural combo into the schedule just right.  Personally, I think they'll keep them on Thursday together with Supernatural leading in Wayward.  Thursday is the toughest night of TV and Supernatural is hanging in really well.  Better than anything else they could put there with the exception of the Flash.  And the Flash might loose steam in that slot just as easily.  Supernatural has a niche audience.  That really helps.  

**Super-detailed thoughts:
1) In the past they've had early pick up in early January (around upfronts). But this time Wayward doesn't air until the 18th.  It's possible the network already loves the show (they've seen the pilot by now) and they announce right after the episode airs.  Announcing BEFORE the episode airs seems like a low probability IMO.
2) They have to juggle all this little half-series around as well.  They could pick up Wayward as a partial series (13 episode order).  In which case they'd want to decide what they are pairing it with.
3) The boys COULD negotiate a half season to get to 300 OR they could negotiate a more complex deal involving mini-series.  IDK.  Anything other than a straight 23 episode deal could throw off the timing of renewal announcement.  I think they would push back closer towards May upfronts if they do anything 'fancy' (i.e. other than 23 episodes).  Also -- although they have usually locked down the boys contracts NLT than January and usually November or December, if it's complicated, it could take longer.  
Bottom Line: I don't expect an announcement BEFORE Wayward airs but anytime from immediately thereafter to the May upfronts are all reasonable guesses IMO.

On 12/10/2017 at 4:49 PM, scribe95 said:

I think as long as it is steady a few more episodes we will get half a 14th season to wrap it up - episode 13 being 300 and the series finale. I think the guys with their young families want to be home more and frankly it's probably time. As we can see, writing a quality show like this is hard and it's getting a little lazy. I will hate them being gone but I would rather they finish strong than string it out with outlandish plots. 

I was good with this... well I'd be sad, but could live with it, thinking I at least had The Walking Dead to watch after SPN was gone, but after last night... let's just say my favorite character on that show is soon to be dead, so that plan B went out the window. : (

It will be sad for me without a favorite show any more. What will I complain about and discuss?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

It will be sad for me without a favorite show any more. What will I complain about and discuss?

I know right?  I've never been as invested in any other show EVER.  I will miss you Supernatural (warts and all). But I'll always follow Jensen's career.  Hope he gets another gig quick.

• Love 3

h/t to @Starfish35 from the Arrow forum

26 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Rankings season-to-date (numbers from Spotted Ratings)

In demo average:

1. The Flash 0.90
  2. Supernatural 0.61
  3. Riverdale 0.57
  4. Legends/Supergirl 0.55
  5. Arrow 0.51
  6. Jane the Virgin 0.26
  7. Dynasty/Valor 0.22
  8. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 0.21

In viewer average:

1. The Flash 2.450 million
  2. Supergirl 1.935 million
  3. Supernatural 1.786 million
  4. Legends 1.672 million
  5. Riverdale 1.632 million
  6. Arrow 1.464 million
  7. Valor 0.973 million
  8. Dynasty 0.783 million
  9. Jane the Virgin 0.641 million
  10. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 0.626 million

In change year-to-year:

1. Riverdale +39%
  2. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend +7%
  3. Supernatural -6%
  4. Legends -20%
  5. The Flash -22%
  6. Arrow -31%
  7. Jane the Virgin -34%
  8. Supergirl -35%

ETA:  TVSeriesFinale has different numbers for the year-to-year changes.  I do not know which is more accurate.  

IMG_0687.PNG

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I've never watched Riverdale, but this season must be a vast improvement over last judging by those numbers.  

I watched last season on Netflix and thought it was just okay. It seemed to me they were  trying too hard to be both modern and retro and never found that sweet spot in the middle. I've heard mixed reviews on whether it's an improvement or not this season. It could just be the schedule change that's helped it along more than anything?

Seems to me that the CW threw all their weight into promoting Riverdale between seasons. I watch most things on DVR, or at least on a 15-20 minute delay so I can ff, so I rarely see commercials and even I saw Riverdale promos. Saw them in magazines and on other websites as well. Between that and the schedule change, they seemed pretty determined to improve its lot, and it seems to have worked. I've still never seen an episode of it, lol.

• Love 1

More from our Arrow friends re Spotted Ratings vs TVSeriesFinale

6 minutes ago, strikera0 said:

TVSeriesFinale compares this year's ratings average of 0,51 to the total average of season 5, which was 0,62 whereas SpottedRatings compares the first 9 episodes of this year with the first 9 episodes of last year (0,736). IMO, the latter approach is more accurate because ratings tend to be lower in spring, weighing down the total average for the season. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jeddah said:

All those “Stay tuned for Riverdale” ads that ran during Supernatural last season worked on me. I watch it. I thought last season was better, but I still like it a lot.

Sadly, all of those endless promos for Riverdale last season had the exact opposite effect on me.  I was constantly bitching at my television every time one came on.  It made me hate the show, and I've never seen even 2 minutes of an episode.  Probably not a fair judgment, but I hate having things shoved down my throat like that.

I'm going to pretend that SPN will continue for a few more seasons until I hear, definitively, that it won't.  I'm not really ready to say goodbye yet.  

Edited by MysteryGuest
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

Sadly, all of those endless promos for Riverdale last season had the exact opposite effect on me.  I was constantly bitching at my television every time one came on.  It made me hate the show, and I've never seen even 2 minutes of an episode.  Probably not a fair judgment, but I hate having things shoved down my throat like that.

I'm going to pretend that SPN will continue for a few more seasons until I hear, definitively, that it won't.  I'm not really to say goodbye yet.  

I felt exactly the same. Plus our previews were relegated to social media to make time for them. Nope, that just doesn't work for me.

I'm going on record to say I believe there will be at least two more full seasons of SPN.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I'm going on record to say I believe there will be at least two more full seasons of SPN.

I hope you are right. I'm not ready to say goodbye yet either... especially with the showrunners of my other show, "The Walking Dead," totally pissing me off. I mean I know the show isn't the best, and the quality has definitely gone down, but it's fun to watch to see places in my current town show up in the show and watch my few characters that I enjoy. Now that they've killed off my favorite character - it's all over but the actual death - but Jeffrey Dean Morgan is still chewing up the scenery as Negan, I just can't watch anymore. I'm pretty sure the ratings are going down with Negan and the current storyline, but the show is intent on keeping him around...

Seriously: I know people here complain about Lucifer, but I guess I'm indifferent to him, because compared to Negan he's not that bad...

Imagine if Lucifer was even more obnoxious and arrogant (I know, I know, but trust me), gave profanity laden monologues where he talks about his dick, his barbwire baseball bat that he has some sort of unnatural love for, and other bodily functions, and always gets the better of the Winchesters somehow... Every. Damn. Time. That's Negan. I'd take Lucifer any day over that.

So yes, I need Supernatural to stay around a while. I can't lose another favorite show this soon.

• Love 3