Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

So Kara's gone even lighter blonde?  She's now closer to the actual hair color that Supergirl has always had in the comics!

I've heard she doesn't want them to change the costume, like Flash and Arrow do, so maybe that's the alternative? :)

• Love 1

Lots of Season 3 teases (and a new promo pic) in this Kreisberg interview with TVLine:

Why was it important to bring Erica Durance on as Alura, to give Kara’s mom a greater presence this particular season?

First of all, we love Laura Benanti, and one of the things we wanted to do this season — because we kind of lost a bit of it last year — was focus on Kara’s remembrance of Krypton. That plays into the whole idea of “Am I alien or am I human!” and she’s thinking more and more about her home. Whether it’s dream sequences or flashbacks or talking to the AI, we wound up having Alura in every episode, and Laura, bring New York-based, couldn’t commit to that schedule, which we completely understood.  We figured the only way to accept the recast was to do it in such a fun interesting way that people would be intrigued, that it didn’t feel like switching Darrins on Bewitched. If Erica had said no, I’m not quite sure what we would have done! But she got really excited about it. Also, we’re doing new things with Alura — there’s an incredibly surprising way that you see her in an upcoming episode that is just a lot of fun.

Let me preface this by stating that Supergirl will definitely get a S4, and I expect it to run for 5-7 seasons all told, as the Berlanti brand outweighs ratings that the CW doesn't even care about all that much anymore, but: I'm not sure what else anyone involved with the show could have expected in terms of ratings. To begin with, ratings usually decrease season-to-season; further, regardless of what one attributes it to, Supergirl's ratings also fell relatively sharply at the end of last season. That should've been a big clue that viewers weren't satisfied with the show. And yet nothing about the way they advertised the show over the summer suggested that anything would change in S3 (other than Sanvers breaking up, I suppose, which is a definite negative as opposed to positive for most). Unlike the S1-S2 hiatus, the message wasn't "yes, we know there are problems, we're course-correcting," but "you didn't like S2? Too bad, we're doubling down on everything we did in S2!" How was that supposed to win back lost viewers, or entice viewers who were on the fence to keep tuning in?

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3

Could be just that a lot of people didn't know the show was back. I know I didn't. I was watching something else and at about 7:30 (central), noticed the red light on my DVR was on and had to check it out because I had no idea what was recording. At that point, the show was half over, so I elected to watch it later.

the message wasn't "yes, we know there are problems, we're course-correcting," but "you didn't like S2? Too bad, we're doubling down on everything we did in S2!

I can think of I believe two entire interviews that talks specifically about how this season would have more elements of season 1, specifically more Kara/Alex and a villain who is around in the first episode and evidently they also seemed to read it as more CatCo/less Guardian. I think they specifically even said they would look for a way for James/Kara/Winn to act as a group again, but it clearly is taking some time to set up. What exactly is doubling down on season 2? Having Alex say she will get married in a big gay wedding because they made her gay in season 2? Give Katie McGrath a full contract? Having Cat deliver the anti-Trump quotes even more directly? 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 1

Little ratings update now that that the week is ending, SG came in last place for the DC shows, it's also beaten by Riverdale and Supernatural.

The CW executives can't be happy to see one of their main shows sliding from 2nd last year to 6th, the show is not in danger of being canceled of course but if the trend continues like that this season, I would expect future seasons to suffer a few budget cuts at least.

• Love 2

Many have tried to get Showrunners, exec producers, network bosses to go back to season 1 format (even on CW) it would have worked. All fell on deaf ears and stiff necks. Even in 2nd place in season 2 the ratings diminished. Now season three opener (openers are typically among the highest ratings of the season):

59e15b08131ed_season3ratings1.thumb.jpg.dc4fd06e221d500960f4b0e7836ea10d.jpg

Below average. Virtually no marketing, promos, absolutely no enthusiasm from actors on social media. My guess is they all gave up on the show already.

Just a job now, until the inevitable comes. {sigh}

I'm not convinced it won't get a season 4. The ratings alone aren't why the DC shows get renewed. Though I could see it not getting more than one more season. Supergirl has a polarized fanbase because it has the CW viewers and the remaining CBS viewers and it is hard to please both. 

Edited by Oreo2234

I am 100% convinced it will get a Season 4; there's too much syndication money in it for WB to not do it.  Plus the premiere was just about where it ended last season, so I don't think anyone in charge was surprised.  The only CW show that got a TON of promotion, and the premiere ratings were legit surprising, was Riverdale.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

I'm not convinced it won't get a season 4. The ratings alone aren't why the DC shows get renewed. Though I could see it not getting more than one more season. Supergirl has a polarized fanbase because it has the CW viewers and the remaining CBS viewers and it is hard to please both. 

A reminder from where the show fell... and which audience would be more lucrative to please: 

59e222f29f0d4_SupergirlSeasonOneRatings.png.e6169ea5a90e4f8225ccf8864d09e1ec.png'

59e222fb6eb2b_SupergirlSeasonTworatings.png.bc916c0be8f9fdb9bb303856fc6d8cb8.png

I am convinced that the calls for Supergirl to return to season 1 format would be more and louder if people believed their vote / voice mattered.

ALL that season 1 lacked in getting an even bigger audience than it had (on average twice that of average the CW audience) was a more aggressive marketing campaign.

Supergirl in the minds of most is a confusing character that was reinvented many times. Coupled with the box office disaster 1984 most (potential diehard fans included) 

would ask "why WOULD I even give the show a try?"

Getting them past that indifference to at least try the (season 1) show would bring around tens of millions of skeptics to regular if not diehard fans. 

I know. Until I tried the show in February 2016, I was exactly like them, indifferent.

I personally was curious after I found Les Moonves spent $70 Million on the show. 

And friends, that is marketing plain and simple.

Quotes from McGrath about Lena's new dynamic with Kara and James:
http://tvline.com/2017/10/16/supergirl-kara-lena-season-3-spoilers-katie-mcgrath-interview/

“The dynamics of their friendship are different now,” McGrath says of Lena and Kara. “It’s not a bad thing, necessarily, it just means that their relationship has widened. They don’t just have a personal relationship, they also have a professional one. And it’s trying to balance both of them is challenging. How can she be a boss and still be Kara’s friend? There are issues and difficulties, and it all plays out throughout [Monday’s episode].”

Ah, so they're doing this story that they barely touched on with James and Kara when they were in (and are still in) the same position last season. Mmmmhhmmmm...

5 episodes doesn't sound like much compared to 

Whether it’s dream sequences or flashbacks or talking to the AI, we wound up having Alura in every episode

I was hoping for something more substantial, especially since we have already knocked out 2 of those episodes already and Alura had little to do in them. I was hoping Alura might figure into the backstory of Sam. 

I don't think that it makes sense to compare the ratings of season 1 and 2 in total numbers because clearly the most viewers were lost purely in the network shift. It's the fault of the network that they didn't have faith in the show and gave it to the CW. Even if the format had been exactly the same as in season 1, I don't buy that all viewers would have crossover over, as can be seen in the ratings of the first episode on the CW. 3 million viewers didn't even give the CW a chance to scare them off first, so that was clearly the network switch and not any actual change in quality that people could react to. 

Now season 2 to 3 makes more sense to compare (or even the drop within season 2 after the winter hiatus)

I don't think that they can ever bring back season 1 emotionally simply because they don't have Cat anymore. Lena doesn't even begin to hold a candle to how Cat worked and affected season 1. Cat actually challenged and mentored Kara and their relationship and THAT to me was roughly as important in season 1 as Alex/Kara. 

By comparison, I don't get the nostalgia over the James/Kara/Winn friendship. To me that was just a pretty average triangle, pretty background dressing. While both Kara/Alex and Kara/Cat were actually novel and dynamic and drove the show. I think even if they got Calista back, which they won't, I don't think they could ever recapture that. So no, I don't think that season 1 is ever coming back and just having James/Kara/Winn share friendship scenes is not actually bringing season 1 back. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 2
On 17/10/2017 at 1:51 PM, tofutan said:

5 episodes doesn't sound like much compared to 

I was hoping for something more substantial, especially since we have already knocked out 2 of those episodes already and Alura had little to do in them. I was hoping Alura might figure into the backstory of Sam. 

I don't think that it makes sense to compare the ratings of season 1 and 2 in total numbers because clearly the most viewers were lost purely in the network shift. It's the fault of the network that they didn't have faith in the show and gave it to the CW. Even if the format had been exactly the same as in season 1, I don't buy that all viewers would have crossover over, as can be seen in the ratings of the first episode on the CW. 3 million viewers didn't even give the CW a chance to scare them off first, so that was clearly the network switch and not any actual change in quality that people could react to. 

Now season 2 to 3 makes more sense to compare (or even the drop within season 2 after the winter hiatus)

I don't think that they can ever bring back season 1 emotionally simply because they don't have Cat anymore. Lena doesn't even begin to hold a candle to how Cat worked and affected season 1. Cat actually challenged and mentored Kara and their relationship and THAT to me was roughly as important in season 1 as Alex/Kara. 

By comparison, I don't get the nostalgia over the James/Kara/Winn friendship. To me that was just a pretty average triangle, pretty background dressing. While both Kara/Alex and Kara/Cat were actually novel and dynamic and drove the show. I think even if they got Calista back, which they won't, I don't think they could ever recapture that. So no, I don't think that season 1 is ever coming back and just having James/Kara/Winn share friendship scenes is not actually bringing season 1 back. 

Yeah loosing Cat really was the biggest loss for this show, and it sucks because Cat playing a big role in the series is merely only a small part of the series when it get's to 5 or 6 seasons. 

I have to admit, I actually liked the balance in season 1 better than 2 or 3 so far. I actually hope the alien bar disappears, that was my least favorite new location from season 2. I miss the cafe from season 1. The Alien bar feel's too Arrow for my taste. Supergirl is meant to be a bright and lighter show. 

I doubt we will ever get Cat again in a regular or even proper recurring role, and I very much doubt she will appear in more than 2-3 episodes a season physically seen in person. The way they phased her out of Catco and her new role which can be seen on television screens or skype (which can all be filmed in LA in a studio which mean's Calista doesn't need to fly out). Shows me, that Cat will never play a big role in the series now. She will still continue to appear 2-5 times a season. Too bad the tax break for LA happened once SG moved production, we lost far too many actor's because of the move. 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:51 PM, tofutan said:

One big handicap is that The CW, being one of the newest broadcast networks, can be kind of under-the-radar in many smaller TV markets. If you're in a major metro area that's long had at least six TV channels, then the CW affiliate can be potentially as prominent as ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC or PBS. But in some Littlecity Tri-County TV market, then chances are good that The CW is aired on a low-power station or a digital subchannel of a pre-existing station (for example, station WZZZ channel 22, the local CBS affiliate, has a subchannel 22.2 that carries CW programming), and viewers old enough to have based their TV habits around the pre-digital lineup of channels may not even know about these newer options.

I think even Fox suffers from this problem to some extent; a lot of broadcast TV viewing habits in smaller markets were based around the Big Three plus PBS for a long time. (And it might be part of why Fox and The CW both lean toward programming for the younger demographic, who are more likely to "explore the TV dial.")

• Love 1

Quotes from Melissa and Mehcad about tonight's episode. excerpts:

“It was such a smart script,” Benoist tells EW. “It’s unnerving. She’s already weighing this am I human, am I alien in her mind anyway, and I think it’s a moment where it pushes her even further down the road of just deciding to be an alien, because she can do things that no one else can, but only her and Clark can do that on Earth, so seeing people worship her is not what she wants, but it does strike a chord with her.”

“If anybody, Jimmy Olsen gets it,” Mehcad Brooks says. “While it is strange and while it is weird, Superman saved my life, and Supergirl saved my life. While I’m not worshipping them, there is a sense of reverence, and there is a sense of awe....

Does include some spoilers for upcoming episodes:

2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

With all allegations in the entertainment industry I can't believe there isn't somekind of anti harassment/equal treatment training even if videos which is how the private sector tends to do it. Along with a third party/1800 number to investigate any claims of impropriety or criminal acts. I've had to sit through the same videos and lectures every year. Once it's documented you had that training you are liable for your actions/ the company can do what they want for discipline and/or fire you. Just to step foot on their lots or use their studios & staff that should require a workplace orientation regardless of contracts or status. I'm surprised their lawyers don't require it because it makes it harder to play dumb or ignorant. It's basic cya policy.

55 minutes ago, misstwpherecool said:

With all allegations in the entertainment industry I can't believe there isn't somekind of anti harassment/equal treatment training even if videos which is how the private sector tends to do it. Along with a third party/1800 number to investigate any claims of impropriety or criminal acts. I've had to sit through the same videos and lectures every year. Once it's documented you had that training you are liable for your actions/ the company can do what they want for discipline and/or fire you. Just to step foot on their lots or use their studios & staff that should require a workplace orientation regardless of contracts or status. I'm surprised their lawyers don't require it because it makes it harder to play dumb or ignorant. It's basic cya policy.

I went into this in the Arrow BTS thread, but to repeat the point here, there is - along with statements that X multimedia company doesn't tolerate harassment of any kind yadda yadda.

The problem is twofold: one, many creatives are technically independent contractors, and two, the much bigger one: it's great to have policies, but those policies are meaningless if not enforced. And for the most part, until October, Hollywood wasn't enforcing them.  I don't mean this as a defense of Kreisberg at all, but Hollywood has frequently failed to have consequences, or lingering consequences, for considerably worse behavior. 

The key here: "The company can do what they want." Yep, and historically what the company has wanted to do is absolutely nothing.

Behind the Scenes pic from David Harewood. He must have been sitting on this since forever. 

I hope it's okay to put this here, since the SG forum doesn't have a social media thread like Arrow does. 

• Love 4