Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Anna Yolei

Retro B&B: When the Beautiful Were Also Bold

Recommended Posts


Long video, but worth it once you get to the 13:00 minute mark...also, remember when this show had the budget for things like costume parties?

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

Ah, the days of bigger budgets and gorgeous costume balls.

And my goodness, Ronn and Hunter were beautiful. I still miss Ronn. Wooden or not, he was Ridge.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

This came across my reccomendations on YT. This channel has a lot of Caroline content for anyone who missed out the first time around.

Some stand out lines include Brooke at the 1:44 telling Caroline she'd feel so guilty for doing what Caroline did to Thorne, followed up by Caroline asking if Brooke ever gave considerations about what it's like to be in love with two brothers 😂😂😂😂😂

But the last line about how their friendship ended over a man, and KKL's delivery, was just...*chef's kiss* I miss when the show was grounded in any sense of reality and nuance.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, could you please tell, do you know any YouTube channel where it's possible to watch B&B, 1987, the entire season 1,     in English. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/29/2020 at 9:39 AM, Nika T. said:

Hi, could you please tell, do you know any YouTube channel where it's possible to watch B&B, 1987, the entire season 1,     in English. 

 

Unfortunately, the only one I know of got slapped with an IP warning from YouTube and the vast majority of her videos were removed. Such a shame, because they were exceptionally high quality given the age of the material (unless she was from Germany and making DVD rips on her spare time, which wow, what dedication!).

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, thank you for your replies. Yes, you're right, the quality was amazing at that time. Hope someone would someday succeed to download the entire first season, 1987, so it'd be possible to watch all episodes in English, not only the first twenty.

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, but this clip makes me SOOOO angry because everything they're saying is completely right (I believe this took place around December '89 and Bridge were supposed to have gotten married months before in June) and they're supporting one another in their own way and we're here 30 years later and Ridge treats Brooke even WORSE these days. I'm sure if Caroline I were still around, she too would have been ruined beyond recognition and turned into a simpering mess or a shrill harpy the way Taylor has become.

Ugh, Caroline and Brooke could've stayed friends, or even better, leave this putz high and dry.

One thing I'll give Ridge is he was damn pretty to look at back in the day and Ronn Moss could sell the idea that he was legitimately torn and at a minimum paying lip service to giving this some thought. For all of Scott Clifton's talent, I could never buy for a moment that Liam wanted anything but the easiest option at that immediate moment, which is why I hated him more than Ridge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ronn Moss lucked out by having great chemistry with all of his 3 leading ladies, so that did help make the triangles more believable in that you could believe Ridge actually was torn by being in love with two women at the same time.

And, yeah had Caroline stayed around, the writers would have probably kept the Brooke/Ridge/Caroline triangle going for as long as they could have.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Spot-on about Ronn Moss. He had chemistry in spades with everyone - even KL's Rick LOL. 

He genuinely conveyed real emotion and being in love with whomever or being torn between whomever (Caroline/Brooke, Brooke/Taylor). 

I far prefer his sometimes-wooden, occasionally parodied acting to that of the supposedly superior TK any day of the week. Because unlike TK, he actually looks like he gives a damn about what he's doing and whom he's interacting with, KKL especially. Here's proof positive and I love that Ronn sang the song playing over the montage of memories:

And showing they still had it, two decades later:

I honestly wish they had killed Ridge off when Ronn left because TK will never be Ridge. No matter how much he huffs, puffs, and whisper-gruffs his way through his scenes.

Hard to believe I tuned in to OLTL back in the day for the early days of Marty and Patrick. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I honestly wish they had killed Ridge off when Ronn left because TK will never be Ridge. No matter how much he huffs, puffs, and whisper-gruffs his way through his scenes.

My only exposure to RM was on The Soup. 🙂  

Joe Mascolo as Massimo Marone was long before my time but I could see TK as his son.  On paper anyway.  I fault TK for not doing his job though.  And TPTB for letting him get away with it. 

Updating to add:  It's not too late. Getting rid of Ridge could only improve the show at this point. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I far prefer his sometimes-wooden, occasionally parodied acting to that of the supposedly superior TK any day of the week.

Same. OMG, if there was ever a case of being careful what you wish for, this horrendously bad recast of Ridge Forrester was it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

There's a YouTube channel with a great collection of Tridge clips. I loved those two. I hate it when writers destroy a couple I've become invested in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Camille said:

There's a YouTube channel with a great collection of Tridge clips. I loved those two. I hate it when writers destroy a couple I've become invested in.

You're talking about Nikki N? 

That's been a trip to go through, especially as the Morgan saga's been updated over the last few months. 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

That's been a trip to go through, especially as the Morgan saga's been updated over the last few months. 

Yes.

It's ironic how Ridge resisted Brooke everytime she threw herself at him, yet slept with Morgan in two seconds.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed that storyline.

I really wish they'd left Tridge alone and not rehashed the tired "Brooke obsessively stalks and harasses Tridge no matter how many times they tell her to leave them alone" for the millionth time. Not to mention Brooke obsessing over Ridge yet again, period, after spending two years doing an excellent job writing the Brooke/Thorne romance.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

It's ironic how Ridge resisted Brooke everytime she threw herself at him, yet slept with Morgan in two seconds.

If only Brooke had faked a letter from Taylor saying it was ok to have sex with Brooke...

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Hiyo said:

If only Brooke had faked a letter from Taylor saying it was ok to have sex with Brooke...

Easily in the top five of B&B most ridiculous plot contrivances. Did Ridge even know his wife even a little bit? I know cell phones were still a new thing, but surely Ridge could afford the $500 phone bill he'd have gotten to call Taylor in Europe to confirm this before  banging Morgan. Even for as relatively sex positive Brooke is, even she'd draw a hard line at husband sharing!

15 hours ago, Camille said:

really wish they'd left Tridge alone and not rehashed the tired "Brooke obsessively stalks and harasses Tridge no matter how many times they tell her to leave them alone" for the millionth time. Not to mention Brooke obsessing over Ridge yet again, period, after spending two years doing an excellent job writing the Brooke/Thorne romance.

This. The only thing worse than her chasing after Ridge was her serving to chase after Deacon. 

That said, I wish that if we did need Breacon, they hadn't wasted him on Bridget first. There was nowhere for that relationship to go and there could have been a much wider potential for conflict amongst Brooke and the rest of the characters without jumping the shark.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

That said, I wish that if we did need Breacon, they hadn't wasted him on Bridget first. There was nowhere for that relationship to go and there could have been a much wider potential for conflict amongst Brooke and the rest of the characters without jumping the shark.

Exactly.

I never liked Brooke, though they actually did redeem her with the Thorne storyline, which is another reason why I hate the writers for trashing it. Brooke genuinely grew up during that story and to see her go right back to obsessing over Ridge, as well as so slutty that she'd have an affair with her daughter's husband permanently ruined her for me. The same woman who wouldn't get together with Thorne even though they were now technically free to do so because it upset Bridget now has no problem repeatedly fucking Bridget's husband?

It was absolutely the low point for her.

Edited by Camille
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I really loved Throoke as I always wondered why these two, who schemed to keep Ridge and Caroline apart, didn't chuck those plans and hook up. It was ridiculous when they had Brooke wake up in love with Ridge again after they fought so hard to be together.

I also could have been all in on Breacon as SK and KKL set the screen afire but not with him married to Bridget. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

really loved Throoke as I always wondered why these two, who schemed to keep Ridge and Caroline apart, didn't chuck those plans and hook up.

Right? KKL had chemistry with Clayton Norcross and they felt like genuine friends.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a bit mixed over the whole Brooke/Deacon story. On the one had, it sucked to see Brooke spiral that way after giving up on Thorne* to chase after Ridge and then sleep with her son-in-law after Ridge rejected her. On the other hand, the story made for some great drama, KKL and SK had smoking chemistry together, that was the first time Jennifer Finnigan impressed me with her acting (especially when she threw Deacon out of the beach house), and for a brief time, we actually saw Brooke try to change and become more responsible after Hope was born. Of course, that all went out the window soon enough, but it was nice to see some character growth.

*One of my peeves of the show during that era was that they seemed to finally be moving away from the Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle, which, as much as I enjoyed it in the early and mid-90s, was a bit stale by that point. I liked that they had set up 2 interesting triangles with lots of potential that could have driven the show further and well into the next decade.

Brooke/Thorne/Macy had lots of potential. It would have given the Forrester/Spectra rivalry another interesting edge by making things even more personal between the 2 companies than they already were, and had loads of potential for how it could have impacted the other characters (imagine Stephanie and Sally teaming up to break up Brooke and Thorne, for different reasons, for example).

And we had Taylor/Ridge/Morgan, which on paper could have been just as juicy. Yes, Taylor always had to deal with Brooke and Ridge having a past together before she met him, much like Ridge and Morgan had a past. But, having Morgan herself be a designer would have brought a nice tweak to the formula. After his family and love interests, Ridge's other great love is fashion. It would have been interesting to see Ridge with a woman who really understood that, and be able to communicate it to Ridge in a way Taylor or Brooke are unable to. Plus, have Morgan work at Spectra, and the drama would be even better.

But no, instead they killed off Macy way too soon, had everyone seemingly accept Brooke and Thorne, then conspire to break them up. And we had Morgan go crazy and evil after she spent months screeching about how Stephanie owed her a baby. God, that era as so frustrating.

Quote

Easily in the top five of B&B most ridiculous plot contrivances. Did Ridge even know his wife even a little bit? I know cell phones were still a new thing, but surely Ridge could afford the $500 phone bill he'd have gotten to call Taylor in Europe to confirm this before  banging Morgan.

Or even if Ridge was dumb enough to believe Taylor would be ok with Ridge fathering Morgan's baby, you'd think Ridge would maybe question the fact that the only way for that to happen was by doing the sex with Morgan? As opposed to, you know, getting it done at a clinic via artificial insemination?

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Or even if Ridge was dumb enough to believe Taylor would be ok with Ridge fathering Morgan's baby, you'd think Ridge would maybe question the fact that the only way for that to happen was by doing the sex with Morgan? As opposed to, you know, getting it done at a clinic via artificial insemination?

Exactly. Taylor had made it clear that she wasn't comfortable with him even donating sperm. Why on earth would she be okay with him actually having sex with Morgan?

 

45 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

One of my peeves of the show during that era was that they seemed to finally be moving away from the Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle, which, as much as I enjoyed it in the early and mid-90s, was a bit stale by that point. I

And I think the writers agreed which is precisely WHY they ended it. One of the bizarre drawbacks of a love triangle where both pairings work is that soap writers will decide to drag it out for years and eventually viewers will go from actively rooting for one pairing to eventually not caring who ends up together. GH's Sonny/Brenda/Jax is a prime example of this.

What they should have done is wait until Taylor died and then gradually redeveloped feelings between Brooke and Ridge--and for once, have her resisting instead of going at it full force--instead of her literally out of nowhere realizing that she still loved him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The show handicapped themselves giving in to Tylo's request that she never have to depict a divorce. Or rather, they saw it as a limitation that was insurmountable.

I made a long ass rant that got eaten up by the board, but suffice it to say every LGBTQ pairing in the history of soaps have worked around it since creators are afraid to have more than one gay couple at a time, and they could have here without trashing Morgan or throwing Macy and Brooke under the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

The show handicapped themselves giving in to Tylo's request that she never have to depict a divorce.

But didn't Ridge and Taylor get divorced in 1996 after her first return from the dead? Or was that her demand when she came back to show after being let go from Melrose Place?

Quote

but suffice it to say every LGBTQ pairing in the history of soaps have worked around it since creators are afraid to have more than one gay couple at a time, and they could have here without trashing Morgan or throwing Macy and Brooke under the bus.

Pardon me, but...huh?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The theme in the article says it is “Classic Clashes.” So we're getting Stephanie vs Sally, Stephanie vs Brooke, and Sheila vs everybody.

  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

The first episode. I’ve seen it a few times since it’s aired though. One question. Who has the Ridge office set now? nuRidge? Does it still exist? Does it still have the batgirl door to the back of the Forrester stage or wherever the fashion show was. Also, Joanna Johnson was really pretty and KKL looked pretty best up. LOL!!! What a way to make an entrance. I remember the press at the time (I’m 55) saying that JJ & KKL looked too much alike and they couldn’t tell them apart. Even then I was like, “They don’t look anything alike!”. I can’t believe it’s been 33 years now. I pretty much watch the last five minutes of the show to get the gist of what’s going on. Also, the less I have to see of SC, JMW & DB the better. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The first episode. I’ve seen it a few times since it’s aired though. One question. Who has the Ridge office set now? nuRidge?

I think Hope does. Not that we've seen her work in the last three years, but the last time I can recall use of that office was shortly after she return with a line of acknowledgement that she and Quinn scheduled use to avoid running into one another.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Watching old clips of Taylor/Ridge on yt and Hunter used to be so dang beautiful. What she did to her face must be criminal. Taylor was way prettier than Brooke. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think they were both equally attractive in their own way. KKL had that all-American, athletic, girl-next-door vibe to her, while Hunter had a classic Hollywood movie star vibe. They both made great pairings with RM.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I hadn't seen this before.  It was so good I was clutching my shirt (wasn't wearing my pearls) 😋

 

 

Edited by TessHarding2
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Stephanie's reaction was priceless. How Susan Flannery didn't receive at least an emmy nom for this scene is one thing I'll never understand.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I've really been enjoying the old stuff.  I watched a lot of Stephanie because anyone she's acting with she makes better plus the scenes are always compelling.

A recap question if you don't mind... The Quinn/Liam torture - what was Quinn's goal? To get Liam away from Hope so Wyatt would get her? I thought Wyatt was with Steffy then?  

And Eric married that? Did anybody tell him she was psycho (not that he'd listen).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/18/2020 at 5:12 PM, TessHarding2 said:

I've really been enjoying the old stuff.  I watched a lot of Stephanie because anyone she's acting with she makes better plus the scenes are always compelling.

A recap question if you don't mind... The Quinn/Liam torture - what was Quinn's goal? To get Liam away from Hope so Wyatt would get her? I thought Wyatt was with Steffy then?  

And Eric married that? Did anybody tell him she was psycho (not that he'd listen).

Right angle, wrong girl. Quinn was trying to keep Liam from Steffy, Hope had already evaporated at that point, but Steffy's arrival started a new TOD. My memory may be a bit foggy, but if I remember correctly, Liam & Steffy were into it. Liam showed up at the beach house, unannounced, & found Wyatt & Steffy sleeping together (fully dressed, actually sleeping). He assumed they'd had the sexy times, so he bolted to Australia, I think. I can't remember the details, but I think something happened on the flight, which caused him to have occasional blackouts (like the oxygen change affected him for a while after the trip). He fainted in the parking lot after his return (Forrester parking lot, I think), & tiny Quinn stuffed him in her car & took him to the never-heard-of-prior Captive Cabin. Quinn used Liam's phone to say he was fine, but needed to be away, or something no normal person would believe, but Steffy jumped on Wyatt almost as fast as she jumped on the $tallion a few years later, when Liam hurt her feelings. During the few weeks at Captive Cabin, Steffy & Wyatt "fell in love", got engaged, planned a wedding, & got married, before anyone thought about looking for Liam. After Liam returned, Steffy & Wyatt stayed together for a minute, but, ultimately, Steffy blamed Quinn, & her being Wyatt's baggage, to go running back to Liam. 

My memories may be foggy, but the big parts are correct. 

Edited by nkotb · Reason: Liam & Wyatt are different people.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/18/2020 at 3:12 PM, TessHarding2 said:

And Eric married that? Did anybody tell him she was psycho (not that he'd listen).

It's even worse: Eric actually approached LIAM after she'd skated on Captive Cabin to ask about Quinn 🤦🤦🤦🤦

But dude been married to Stephanie and Sheila, so crazy ain't a deal breaker for him 😂

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

14 hours ago, nkotb said:

Right angle, wrong girl. Quinn was trying to keep Liam from Steffy, Hope had already evaporated at that point, but Steffy's arrival started a new TOD. My memory may be a bit foggy, but if I remember correctly, Liam & Steffy were into it. Liam showed up at the beach house, unannounced, & found Wyatt & Steffy sleeping together (fully dressed, actually sleeping). He assumed they'd had the sexy times, so he bolted to Australia, I think. I can't remember the details, but I think something happened on the flight, which caused him to have occasional blackouts (like the oxygen change affected him for a while after the trip). He fainted in the parking lot after his return (Forrester parking lot, I think), & tiny Quinn stuffed him in her car & took him to the never-heard-of-prior Captive Cabin. Quinn used Liam's phone to say he was fine, but needed to be away, or something no normal person would believe, but Steffy jumped on Wyatt almost as fast as she jumped on the $tallion a few years later, when Liam hurt her feelings. During the few weeks at Captive Cabin, Steffy & Wyatt "fell in love", got engaged, planned a wedding, & got married, before anyone thought about looking for Liam. After Liam returned, Steffy & Wyatt stayed together for a minute, but, ultimately, Steffy blamed Quinn, & her being Wyatt's baggage, to go running back to Wyatt. 

My memories may be foggy, but the big parts are correct. 

Thank you from the bottom of my hating 200.gif

2 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

It's even worse: Eric actually approached LIAM after she'd skated on Captive Cabin to ask about Quinn 🤦🤦🤦🤦

But dude been married to Stephanie and Sheila, so crazy ain't a deal breaker for him 😂

So true! Mean and crazy makes for a fine wife.   How I would love Susan Flannery to interrupt Eric's thoughts by being a hovering cloud in the room.  Just Susan filming from the neck up in her living room.  "Eric, are you SURE you want to believe that lying slag again"?....

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm addicted to this storyline.  I woke up two hours earlier today so I could lay in bed and watch some of it.  When Brooke re-marries Eric in Vegas to take the pressure off of her loving Nick because he's with Bridget - then it goes into Stephanie finding out she's sole owner of FC.   

Season 19 - 2005

https://www.youtube.com/user/boldandbeautiful/playlists

This is great - Nick, Jackie, Stephanie and Ridge (all separately) all ask "Who did you marry"?

 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size