Type keyword(s) to search

Retro B&B: When the Beautiful Were Also Bold

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, backhometome said:

Can someone please explain how Brooke/Stephanie went from bitter enemies to Stephanie dying with Brooke?

Plot convenience, basically.

I imagined B&B may have planned a dying scene that would have included JMC and Ronn Moss before the latter quit the show ahead of the planned end date. If I  headcanon that crap as a love letter to the fandom for the show's biggest rivalry, I can tolerate it. Just barely though 😛

• LOL 2
33 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

Plot convenience, basically.

I imagined B&B may have planned a dying scene that would have included JMC and Ronn Moss before the latter quit the show ahead of the planned end date. If I  headcanon that crap as a love letter to the fandom for the show's biggest rivalry, I can tolerate it. Just barely though 😛

I think it also was a way for the two actresses who were close in real life to say goodbye.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

I think it also was a way for the two actresses who were close in real life to say goodbye.

Also, this.

Stranger things have happened in soaps, before and since, so I'm not especially bothered by it.

Probably this more than anything else.

Speaking of Brooke and Stephanie, this was one of their better confrontations.

• Love 1

God, I loved Connor. Great lawyer.

This also sets a precedent for Stephanie thinking it perfectly okay to send strange men towards Brooke and not thinking what the consequences of the matter might turn up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I liked Conner too. He had great chemistry with many of his castmates, wasn't related to any core characters so the incest factor when hooking up with others was low, and his job meant he could be employed by both Forrester and Spectra, even if he wasn't a designer himself.

Shame the show seemed to lose interest in him in the late 90s, I wish he had stuck around longer.

(edited)

A dinner party set during the fight for Belief story. Dripping with deception, subtext, and subterfuge...it was great.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 3
(edited)

I could almost see Taylor’s POV, besides any jealousy she may have had. The woman who spent the last few years trying ruin Taylor’s marriage and with whom she shares nothing but animosity with is now dating Taylor’s best friend? Why can’t she be a bit pissed about that?

Edited by Hiyo
  • Useful 1

Considering Tridge's origin story, where Taylor, Caroline I's oncologist, set her sides on grieving widower Ridge before the body was even cold and knowing it was Caroline's dying wish that Brooke be with Ridge, I couldn't care less about Taylor's feelings.

• Love 3

It was a but more complicated than that...which is how we ended up with not just a love quadrangle but a love pentagon of Storm/Taylor/Ridge/Brooke/Eric for a brief while...at least I think it played out that way for a while.

But another example of You Know You’re On A Soap Opera:

Your oncologist will one day be your husband’s future wife, and the lab technician who ran your blood tests was not only your husband’s ex-fiance but also his other future wife as well, and was almost your step-mother-in-law as well...

• LOL 3
(edited)

So I broke down and got the new Paramont plus app. There’s a free 30 day trial. And I’ve been watching the episodes dealing with Phoebe is Beth. And let me tell you JMW is killing it. The scene where they took Beth away from her was gut wrenching.

Edited by Runningwild
  • Useful 1

I'll admit the last 15 years of blatant Looney Tunes batshittery may be coloring my opinion on this, but IIRC, this was weeks to maybe a couple of months after she pulled a Liam and slept with a man who wasn't Ridge because her "best friend" was a 40 year old virgin and they were going to die in an avalanche. As far as I can recall, she had no feelings beyond platonic friendship and respect as a mentor.

Yet, what the heck did  she think he was gonna do, pine away forever?

Also, what Countrygirl said. Taylor is fine with hiding her dirt for years while pointing out everyone she's flaws, including Brooke's. The fact is Ridge would've left her on the spot if he'd found out about James. She knew it and Stephanie knew it. Ridge even told her when she finally came clean 20 years, two marriages and three children later that he was less pissed about the ONS than the hypocritical pedestal she put herself on. 

• Love 2

Maybe not pine away forever, just date anyone but Brooke? Then again this LA, where we know the available dating pool usually consists of only 2 or 3 families and at most a half dozen or so of their friends and/or employees...

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Runningwild said:

So now I am up to the part where everyone finds out Flo was Katie’s donor. Am I the only one who finds Wyatt annoying? I just can’t take his voice and speech pattern. I have to FF through his scenes. 

Nope. Wyatt was annoying then and became annoying pretty much ever since he first bumped into HS Flo. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 3/12/2021 at 7:11 PM, Runningwild said:

So now I am up to the part where everyone finds out Flo was Katie’s donor. Am I the only one who finds Wyatt annoying? I just can’t take his voice and speech pattern. I have to FF through his scenes. 

Imma keep it real and say I've never been a huge Wyatt fan. The only thing I liked was him being a thorn in Liam's side on the heel of the previous three years of shenanigans, but even that only barely balances out the fact that he immediately began demanding money and job positions from Bill. Hell, I think he even demanded he be gifted the Cliff House that Liam and Hope were living in at the time!

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 1

I forgot about him demanding the Cliff House. Initially, I liked Wyatt as an alternative to Liam, especially in the early days with Hope. But then when he started picking up every single other one of Liam’s leftovers - Steffy, Ivy, Sally (well a one-sided crush on Sally’s part), it was ugh, Wyatt. I didn’t mind him with Katie but was kind of indifferent. Fast forward to now and he’s with a human trafficker and it’s like why is he on my screen again?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Okay, so now I wonder if the show really wants us to like Ridge. Shauna is living in the guest house and he is flirting with her and kissing her. I understand loving your kid and supporting them, but he didn’t take Brooke’s feelings into account at all. 

• Useful 1

So, this channel is putting together a Breacon playlist and this is one of their more recent uploads:

https://youtu.be/jsc-aBRFBPQ

Being a teenager with school and not having a VCR to record with until December of 2001 I had missed this set up. Doesn't seem like Brooke was particularly over the moon over the guy. How the hell did they get from this to her crying to Stephanie about "Deacon and I are in love!" in under 3-4 months?

That said, he sure does do a great job pulling her card here and I'm the following clip:

https://youtu.be/qH5rT0B6ZQQ

I copied this from another thread and these won't embed. Sorry.

How the hell did they get from this to her crying to Stephanie about "Deacon and I are in love!" in under 3-4 months?

I guess Brooke's pregnancy hormones made her go crazy?

Then again, people on this show really have accelerated love and relationships. I think when Taylor died the first time, Ridge rebounded rather quickly from that by marrying Brooke only 3 or 4 months later...

• LOL 1
On 3/9/2021 at 1:40 PM, CountryGirl said:

Considering Tridge's origin story, where Taylor, Caroline I's oncologist, set her sides on grieving widower Ridge before the body was even cold and knowing it was Caroline's dying wish that Brooke be with Ridge, I couldn't care less about Taylor's feelings.

I never had an issue with Taylor disregarding Caroline's dying wish, because I don't think it's right that she made such a wish in the first place. Caroline should have just wished for Ridge to be happy again down the road, and to find love again if he so desired. She doesn't get to decide who the next partner is. I find that idea kind of squicky and also problematic on any number of levels, so I cheered Taylor for not being manipulated by it.

(I also appreciated that the show didn't have Ridge decide his love life based on that either - I also hate that trope where characters force themselves into being with a particular person because someone else in their lives, usually on their deathbed, expressed a wish for it.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The total lack of any story for RJ has puzzled me as much as the bizzare bent they've taken with Thomas. Why wasn't he SORASed alongside Hope? Was Crap Wagner eating up that much of the show's salary at the time? Ye gods.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, lovelycreatures said:

When Maggie joined the show she had a thick southern accent, then later she didn't. Did the show address why, or was it a conscious decision by TPTB or the actress just to drop it?

Who is Magggie?

The ex-wife of Eric’s brother and mother of Eric’s niece Jessica. Both she and Jessica were on the show in the 90s.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1
On 4/20/2021 at 3:02 PM, Hiyo said:

I think probably the latter?

Thanks!

I liked Maggie a lot, I wish she stuck around or at least came back. I loved her storyline with Sheila, from the fire poker incident to the battle over Sheila's baby and James affections.

• Love 2

Also, is this fantasy suggesting she wants to be in a throuple with both Eric and Ridge? Between Ridge calling her more beautiful than Brooke and Taylor, and kissing her hand and calling her "my love", I mean, ew Sheila, ew...we all know a woman on this show can have Ridge, she can Eric, just not at the same time. Unless it's a triangle, but still.

• Useful 1

Wow, great clip! 

Is it sacrilege to.say that to me, the Stephanie character always just seemed old, even too old for Eric? Can't picture them getting down to business. But it is sure a switch in Eric's love life now, with women that seem practically old enough to be his granddaughter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, seasons said:

Wow, great clip! 

Is it sacrilege to.say that to me, the Stephanie character always just seemed old, even too old for Eric? Can't picture them getting down to business. But it is sure a switch in Eric's love life now, with women that seem practically old enough to be his granddaughter.

Eric was always a horny old goat though. In 34 seasons, Jackie was his only other love interest anywhere near his age. It's still the same age range he's always dated, lol.

I guess Stephanie always seemed older because she was the one always giving lectures on morality and into everyone's business 🤣

• Love 2

Since the discussion of Bell trashing characters to prop his faves has come up, I had completely forgotten how quickly the cheese slid off Hector's cracker:

Like...he was around for a good minute and seemed to be a good dad to Horsefaced Caitlyn but then they have him do this?! And then even after he lost his sight, he continued to talk Taylor out of telling Thorne about the accident with Darla. Why did they do this? :|

I think this slid past me the first time bc I had no interest in Hector and all my ire was aimed at TIIC for Nick, who was riding high on his rengence against the Forresters following his divorce from Brooke. Still, YIKES. And it's made worse knowing he's Latino and once against a minority character is sacrificed to prop up a white lead. Yawn.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1