Type keyword(s) to search

Retro B&B: When the Beautiful Were Also Bold

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

There's no genuine friendships anymore. Not that B&B ever excelled at that, but Old Skool Show had Kirsten/Margo  (before Clarke came between them) and the Spectra gang (before they all either got killed and Darla banged Thorne) and Brooke and Sheila before Sheila reverted back to who she is.

And then, there was actual balance with characters. Even when they did problematic shit, most of them were likeable or at least showed genuine remorse. Steffy doesn' care who she hurts. She's never apologized to Ivy, will never confess about Caroline to Sally and I'm not holding my breath about her showing any kindness to Hope unless she gleams her as another tool to hurt Sally and/or Liam with.

Exactly. They miss opportunities to connect people in organic ways that could build friendships and show depth of character. Like when Steffy was in her office with Maya and Nicole. Prime moment for Steffy to connect with Nicole on a specific level about their fertility issues and the dream of having children. Nicole now has a connection outside Maya and Rick. Steffy has someone who would get and see her in a different light of a fellow vulnerable mother. 

Which scene is more compelling? Nicole, fresh off of the above scene I outlined, dropping by Steffy's house with a baby gift and finding her reeling from her confrontation with Liam and actually having to comfort her and help her calm down which later has Steffy grateful to her for her support and someone to lean on OR Steffy confiding in Katie, a woman she's wronged, and Katie comforting her? I'm more interested in the possibilities of Nicole and Steffy building a friendship. No don't make her a prop to Steffy but lay the groundwork so that later when Nicole has an issue Steffy can repay the favor and possibly irk Maya in not being Nicole's sole influence.

Heck, you could even have Steffy talk about her reluctance of having female friends because the one who mattered, Phoebe, is dead. From then on she purposefully put distance between herself and others because she didn't want to open herself up like that anymore but she's now at an age and point of her life that she can't be an island anymore.

• Love 4

I get what you're saying with Nicole and Steffy but I don't think that would be a good pairing in the long haul. While the actresses are equally matched as far as *acting talent* goes, Steffy's character is just too strong and she'd bulldoze over Nicole. Also, isn't Steffy Nicole's boss? (Not that that has ever stood in the way of friendships, affairs, etc. Brooke became Sheila's boss ... ) With Steffy's extreme narcissism and superiority complex, she may find it difficult to confide in a subordinate. Frankly, the less of Nicole I see on the screen, the better.  But yeah. I agree. At the very least, the writers could have given a nod to Nic and Stef discussing their respective fertility problems, which could serve to momentarily pull Steffy out of her orbit of self-absorption.

I'd almost like to see Steffy turn to her former arch rival and MIL, Quinn. Since it wasn't her precious spawn who was cuckolded, Quinn could lend a sympathetic shoulder and as a bonus, go do a "before the mirror" redux with Bill. Sadly, though, Steffy is the one who really deserves that treatment. Bill played his part, for sure, but that heifer needs to get what's coming to her. Katie seems like a poor and odd choice to serve as Steffy's support system. I hope that she is rightfully shocked by the turn of events and has some choice words for the cheating, trifling tramp. At least show some loyalty to her former SIL, Liam.  Yeah. It goes against Brooke's nature, but I wouldn't mind her adding a heaping dose of ire to the flaming pile of poo. After all, until the $Divorce is legal, Liam is Brooke's stepson.

I just don't want for Hauxdi to get off of this scot-free and Bill has to bear the sole scorn and alienation for what happened. I also don't want for Hope to suddenly become Steffy's BFF (it's been cringe-worthy enough with Ivy) and stand by her through all of this.

• Love 3

Quinn tried to kill Liam no less than 3 times, kidnapped, tried to brainwash and raped him. She gets to say shit to Bill about his behavior towards Liam. Or anything really.

Katie and Brooke are written to react to the plot as the writers want them to and not necessarily in character. They referred to Captive cabin as Liam and Quinn giving in to their chemistry. Money says Katie will say Liam is overreacting and to give Steffy another chance. She's smitten with Wyatt's peen so her loyalty is to him now. Brooke is engaged to another man. She'll pay lip service how Bill hurt Liam but this isn't her hill to die on. She'll just remark how lucky she was to have let Bill go.

With the reactions I've seen on sympathy is with Steffy for Liam 'bringing her down' and him 'having brought this affair on himself'. Apparently his standing up for what's right and defying his father, not kowtowing to Steffy, and kissing a woman when he thought he was going to die absolves Steffy and Bill of their betrayal because Liam sucks. Honestly I feel Liam has paid for his waffling of the past with Wyatt and Quinn being the angel of retribution and interfering in his life until recently. I mean what else punshiment must he endure until his karma card is even? 

Hope unfortunately seems totally the one to comfort Steffy. It'd be better if Steffy had a psychotic break and created a Phoebe persona that she confided in. Aly had Darla the talking head. Put JMcW in a blond wig or have Mackenzie Maury return for giggles for a few eps. They're already gunning for an emmy for JMcW so go all the way with a personality disorder! 

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Honestly I feel Liam has paid for his waffling of the past with Wyatt and Quinn being the angel of retribution and interfering in his life until recently. I mean what else punshiment must he endure until his karma card is even? 

I would have preferred having any of the women he's led on move on entirely from him and shut him down so completely to remove all doubt of a reconciliation. But this being B&B, I have a better chance of getting a unicorn next Christmas than seeing any man on the show acknowledge that his shit stinks.

That said, I don' see Captive Cabin as a fitting "punishment" for his prior stupidity anymore than Brooke's rape was for hers for reasons that need no explaining. At least the Steam boink had an element of irony to it, but the Adam and Eve stuff was just needlessly repulsive and gross. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

That said, I don' see Captive Cabin as a fitting "punishment" for his prior stupidity anymore than Brooke's rape was for hers for reasons that need no explaining. At least the Steam boink had an element of irony to it, but the Adam and Eve stuff was just needlessly repulsive and gross. 

No, I totally agree that rape should not be considered punishment for a characters' crimes. The unfortunate way some soaps work these days is a person who wrongs someone doesn't get their comeuppance by those they wronged but by someone else. Liam didn't get to take Quinn to task it was Katie and then Sheila of all people to get in her face.

The way I could reason Captive Cabin as a kind of karma for his waffling (in the writers' minds) is because  Quinn was one of the few calling Liam out on his inability to commit and stringing women along and felt justified taking any action against him because she reasoned he wasn't worthy of the women and her son was. She wasn't Hope or Steffy but was the embodiment of their vengenace but then the inane 'twist' came that Adam's magical peen turned Quinn into a 'good person'.  Then Liam gets his memory back and he suffers humiliation, violation, and mental anguish over the mind games she pulled on him and his life is in shambles with Steffy and Bill having 'moved on' to Wyatt. Obviously the writers originally wanted Liam to be truly torn in his attraction but since they ended it with Liam thoroughly disgusted by Quinn, I banked it as some of his sins coming home to roost. They weren't delivered by the women who he waffled over but some of his chickens did come home to roost and for me, Hope and Steffy pulled a lot of their own crap with Liam and could've walked away at any time. Steffy backhanded Liam and called him on his shit and so did Hope several times but they kept themselves in the Triangle of Hell of their own voliation. That's on them, not Liam. 

• Love 2

That's a good point about Hope and Steffy. Ivy was an entirely different case, who had a happy relationship for months before Steffy came and stirred up the nest. But besides the torch she was carrying for him, she pretty much removed herself out of that rubbish. 

When does nuHope return?

• Love 1

I've read Hope will return January 8. I can't wait!

On a sorta related note, I am going to break my rule of never watching cheesy TV comedies, but I did set the recorder to catch the "LA to Vegas" pilot tonight. The promos look pretty funny and I want to see how our girl, Kim Matula, does.  I "hope" she flourishes and that this is the first of many good and progressive opportunities for her!

Meanwhile, JMW is still ...

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 4

Hunter was so beautiful.

Yes, but having Brooke finally have a consequence to her actions in losing her eldest daughter due to her youngest and having to deal with that could've done loads for the character. 

To be fair, the show did have Brooke grow up a bit after Hope was born...which the show torpedoed a year or two later for yet another "Who's the daddy?" storyline with Ridge and Nick.

• Love 2

I noticed Bridget was still calling Ridge dad, so I assume this was shortly before the paternity reveal and Taylor's return from the dead.

I think the former, yes, the latter, not sure. I think the paternity reveal was after Taylor came back.

Though I do think this probably did happen before Taylor returned as well, since Ridge was temporarily blind when Taylor returned from her first death.

Old Ridge also had good chemistry with most of his leading ladies, too.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 2

This was a good time for the show (1996).

Did y'all think Stephanie was justified in her actions? Was it a side effect of Sheila drugging her? Did Brooke deserve it?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tessaray said:

Hah. That's a much more interesting Hope than the one I saw when I started watching.  Am I assuming the 2 women I don't know are Caroline's moms?  Which one is Bill's sister?

Don't worry, this was an anomaly back then. As another poster pointed out in the main thread recently, she and Caroline were almost identical, both in looks and personality. It was only when Caroline macked on Rick I'd even notice she wasn't Hope.

I hopes she gets more of that backbone soon, cuz this sisterly bonding/ Otalia 2.0 nonsense is pissing me off.

• Love 1

Which one is Bill's sister?

As mentioned, the blonde, aka, Karen, aks Caroline 1.0's long lost twin sister. I liked her during her first run in the 90s, and wish they had kept her around back then. Heck, I liked her more than Caroline, somewhat creepy romance with Thorne aside. Though it did lead to a funny food fight with Macy.

• Love 3

I know it's only June, but early "Merry Christmas in July!"

This just popped up in my YT feed and it's a great gift! No Taylor, Hauxdi, Lame or Sludge.  Instead, RM-Ridge, RealThorne, Felicia, Phoebe, Bridget, KL-Rick and ALL the grandkids.

BTW, why was Stephanie being such a Grinch about Christmas? My memory doesn't extend back seven years. LOL!  Enjoy!

• Love 1

God, this Martyr! Hope routine almost makes me nostalgic for the days where Hope was married to and pregnant with Wyatt's kid and still had the audacity to tell Ivy off about flaunting her relationship with Liam ?? 

At least that Hope said what she meant and meant what she said. I can't imagine that version of Hope entertaining any part of wanting to see baby Steam, and not just cuz of her crude, tactless comments after Steffy lost her first spawn.

I also apologize for every time I called Matula's Hope an ice princess cuz yeeeeeeeaaaah, she's way more expressive than AN manages most days.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ByTor said:

Unpopular opinion, I'll take new Hope over the screeching hypocritical Hope from that video any day :)

I did say "almost nostalgic" ;)

But yeah, she really was something else back then, wasn't she? It's hard to remember how happy most of us were to see her orb outta the show when she took off.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

God, this Martyr! Hope routine almost makes me nostalgic for the days where Hope was married to and pregnant with Wyatt's kid and still had the audacity to tell Ivy off about flaunting her relationship with Liam ?? 

At least that Hope said what she meant and meant what she said. I can't imagine that version of Hope entertaining any part of wanting to see baby Steam, and not just cuz of her crude, tactless comments after Steffy lost her first spawn.

I also apologize for every time I called Matula's Hope an ice princess cuz yeeeeeeeaaaah, she's way more expressive than AN manages most days.

Ha! I'd almost forgotten that when Ivy came in she was the sort of Steffy (anti everything Logan esp. Hope) before Steffy came back so she turned into the sort of Hope (actual human being who shocked Liam with her ability to care about someone but herself occasionally).

• Love 2

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/bb-episodes-available-for-streaming-on-amazon-prime/

"Past episodes of B&B are available for streaming exclusively on Amazon Prime. Relive the battle between Ridge and Rick for control of Forrester Creations, the arrival of Nicole, Ivy and Liam’s romance that was upended by Steffy’s return, and more. Beginning with the special 7000th episode, which aired on January 23, 2015, episodes 7000-7100, can be viewed here.

Not a great range but if it's successful they'll hopefully put up more.

• Love 3

I wish they had gone a bit earlier than the CaRidge era. (Though we'll get to see Misunderstanding Night again, right? I may have to analyze that frame by frame this time.) For those who don't have Amazon Prime, you can still watch free but with ads.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/21/2018 at 4:44 PM, tessaray said:

I wish they had gone a bit earlier than the CaRidge era. (Though we'll get to see Misunderstanding Night again, right? I may have to analyze that frame by frame this time.) For those who don't have Amazon Prime, you can still watch free but with ads.

You can't watch with or without Amazon Prime, you need to have a CBS All Access subscription.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1

I was SOOOO mad, when I saw season 1, I thought it meant season 1, as in the 1st season of the show.  As soon as I saw adult Rick I shut that right down :(

• Love 2

Yep, the first episode is the 7000th episode celebration.  It was very weird to see normal Caroline, Aly, Oliver, Deacon and probably other people I've forgotten. 

I miss BSC Quinn (and Deacon) but not sure I'm up for a repeat of Rick and Maya lording it over everyone. 

• Love 3

I found this today on YT.  SF is just in the first half. If you are so inclined. watch the entire clip for an epic smackdown of Jock and J.R. by Miss Ellie IRT the title of this clip. No there is a woman who wouldn't put up with crap but did to in a more dignified manner than Satanie. (Isn't SF drop-dead gorgeous here?)

• Love 3

There's no UO thread here, which is probably where this belongs, but I just had to say this:

I only watched B&B for a very short time, nearly 20 years ago, but when I did, I wanted Deacon & Amber together SO BADLY. I understand why they went with the affair between him & Brooke at the time, but I am honestly BAFFLED that he & Amber were NEVER attempted again! They made perfect sense to me; they seemed to understand each other in a way that no one else did and have fun together.

(Unless they were teased again and I just never saw it.) 

• Love 1

Didn't Deacon and Amber interact on Y&R ten years or so ago?  I think I watched a bit of it but don't remember much. 

I would love to have either or both characters back on B&B but then I loved Deacon and Quinn and would rather have that again and use Amber somewhere else.

ETA: Sean Kanan seems to wear out his welcome whenever he gets rehired on a soap. I'm still bitter about how he was treated on GH but it does appear to be a pattern with him. 

• Love 1

I wanted Amber to roll into town back when Raya were terrorising their family to smack the taste off Maya's mouth. Alas, JY is off contract and I can't imagine Bell keeping a woman he won't pair off with anyone else around for too long. *sigh*

• Love 2

God, can we get this Thorne back? I was already rooting for him to: Ridge's "wisdom" about the plus size line, and then he was even more pissed about him playing matchmaker for newly single gle and heartbroken Kristen (who I assume neither of them knew was set up with Clarke through Stephanie's meddling):

• Love 1

See, the thing is for all of Thorsten Kaye's accolades, I can't see him doing any better. Well, maybe the screaming/angry/punching Thorne parts sure, but I tried imagining TK!Ridge crumpling in the sand after thinking he was betrayed and Anna_Yolei.exe crashed while doing so. That I think would be too much for even Anne Shirley to think up 😂

This whole recast of Ridge has been an exercise in being careful about what one wishes for.

This clip also shows that Taylor is just as self serving as she's accused Brooke of being, because from what I can tell, the whole "the baby is Thorne's" thing was thought up on the spot and all because of what I'm sure was some kind of misunderstanding. And then she had the gall to blame Thorne for all of it after Thomas was born!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

See, the thing is for all of Thorsten Kaye's accolades, I can't see him doing any better.

LOL yep!  What I took from that clip is that they're both bad in their own special way 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think I prefer Ronn Moss's style of bad....at least it's funny!

I even made a gif to use for the board!

20190217_151445.gif.2fb8d59e23ff666cf37a2fcd5487e4e6.gif

....and a higher quality on for Facebook on an unrelated post here (since Photobucket all but shut down free services, I have no idea where to host photos)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2