Type keyword(s) to search

Retro B&B: When the Beautiful Were Also Bold

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, CharlizeCat said:

I thought Wyatt and Felonious Flo live there.

The beach house they reside in was originally Taylor's house that Steph bought her the first time she came back from the dead. After she left and got bigger digs once the twins were born, Bridget lived there with Deacon, then Nick, then Bill got it when the Forresters lost FC in '09 and then finally Wyatt got it.

The house in the clip has a staircase that the current beach house has never had, so it appears to be a different set entirely.

• Love 3

Could be a different beach house?

It seems Grant also briefly lived in Taylor's beach house as well, at some point. Maybe the original owner?

Taylor almost burned it down as well one time in the late 90s.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

I'm pretty sure it's the same house. It's just been redecorated. They finally got rid of those gawd awful '90s yellow and blue plaid window treatments on the front door window.

Is it wrong to say I liked the yellow more than the current gray? 🥺

Admittedly, I am biased to yellow to the point that I bought an '09 MINI Cooper in a taxi yellow shade once but the designs of modern "rich" sets between this show and Y&R leave a lot to desire. I'd gladly live in a cheery little house in yellow than Lope's dingy cabin or the boring ass replacement for Nikki and Victor's ranch and ESPECIALLY whatever the fuck *that* was Billy had done to Katherine Chancellor's home that was promptly unfucked when the backlash got loud enough 🤣

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 4

I always though B&B has some of the best sets of any soap. I always loved the Forrester mansion, with the high ceilings, the views, etc. The guest house was also nice, it looked cute and cozy.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I always though B&B has some of the best sets of any soap. I always loved the Forrester mansion, with the high ceilings, the views, etc. The guest house was also nice, it looked cute and cozy.

I was watching an old B&B clip of Sheila (I went down a rabbit this week) and, was reminded of the framed kimono that was at the top of the staircase at the Forrester mansion. I don’t know if it’s there anymore or not. Anyway, I think John McCook said the set used to be huge and it’s been shrunk down over the years. It’s a shame because it was (still is) a beautiful set. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Anyway, I think John McCook said the set used to be huge and it’s been shrunk down over the years. It’s a shame because it was (still is) a beautiful set

It was especially glaring  how much it shrunk looking  back at the very first wedding held in the mansion in '87 and Thomas's failed nuptials to Zoe, where he was able to take  a mere five or six steps out the door after everyone had grilled him.

21 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

It was especially glaring  how much it shrunk looking  back at the very first wedding held in the mansion in '87 and Thomas's failed nuptials to Zoe, where he was able to take  a mere five or six steps out the door after everyone had grilled him.

They also used to have an enormous terrace/pool set below the living room, where I can remember many scenes taking place. I was reminded of it last week when GH made a big deal out of their new "hotel rooftop pool" set which appeared in practically every episode since its introduction with every character congregating there, including the rich folks who should have private pools of their own. I was like, pffft! B&B had their own, larger pool 30 years ago. In fact, I can even remember ATWT - not exactly known for being a big budget soap in its final days - having a Snyder pond, where hottie Aaron inexplicably stripped down to swim. Ah, those were the good old days.

When was the last time we saw the Forrester pool set? I remember when Stephanie left Beth Logan to drown in it, the set seemed to have shrunk as well.

Edited by Aymery
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Aymery said:

When was the last time we saw the Forrester pool set? I remember when Stephanie left Beth Logan to drown in it, the set seemed to have shrunk as well.

I think it had a few more appearances after that: back when Hope was "high" on anxiety pills, she conked her head and almost drowned and then I think there was a pool party in 2013. I can't think of any more recent appearances.

Another relevant Sheila and Ridge scene. Of course a man laying his hands on a woman ain't right but given Ridge just lost Taylor and Sheila's continual goading, I get why he snapped.  Dude tossed off a guard and had to be pulled off of Sheila by 3 women.

Of course about 2-3 years later she pays him back by tossing him down an incinerator.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

When that woman can poison and kill people without a second thought, she forfeits the right to play the delicate little flower card, I think.

This was one of the rare instances where Ridge's righteous anger was more than justified and one of RM's best scenes, to be honest.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 8/13/2021 at 4:37 PM, backhometome said:

Who did/does Sheila hate more Lauren Fenmore or Stephanie?

I think she hates/hated them both with every fiber of her being.  By my count, Sheila tried to kill Stephanie at least one more time than she tried to kill Lauren, if that counts for anything.  They were both condescending and antagonistic to her before they knew who they were dealing with.  One could argue that Lauren had cause, because she was pretty sure that Sheila was after Scott, but Stephanie was an insufferable snob and an outright bitch to her for no other reason than that's how Stephanie operates.  

On 8/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, Hiyo said:

The Devony Dixon story was all right, but isn't on the level of the BeLief story. This was in 1993, I believe.

Oh, I was mostly being playful about Deveney Dixon.  The premise with Stephanie having a secret child hidden away for years was silly but I think Deveney was the first of William J Bell's malevolent villains for the show, which was a fun change of pace at the time.  At least I enjoyed her.  The BeLief storyline was something we watched develop for years.  It was a very exciting "win" for Brooke.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

think Deveney was the first of William J Bell's malevolent villains for the show, which was a fun change of pace at the time.  At least I enjoyed her.

I enjoyed her too, especially her last scene, with a disfigured, scarred face saying something like "I'll get you Stephanie Forrester".  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

The BeLief storyline was something we watched develop for years.

And that's one of the reasons why it's B&B best storyline ever.  It took years to develop, character motivation was fully in place, and it did what B&B used to do so well, explore the conflict between the classes.  Now it's just a show about rich, horny people.  The BeLieF storyline was all about rich assholes trying to steal the ownership of a product created by the slut of the valley and save their company.  All the Forresters, esp Eric, Stephanie and Ridge looked like complete manipulating 1%ers in this story.  Brooke slapping Stephanie is the emotional highlight.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

And one of the few times Brooke was allowed to slap Stephanie back. Apparently, SF put the kibosh on Stephanie being slapped by Brooke after that scene...

I dunno about that, cuz Brooke slapped her during her pregnancy with Hope and I could've sworn on more than one occasion after that...

6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

And that's one of the reasons why it's B&B best storyline ever.  It took years to develop, character motivation was fully in place, and it did what B&B used to do so well, explore the conflict between the classes.  Now it's just a show about rich, horny people. 

Nailed it. Even between Brooke and Taylor who are very accomplished women, I *think* Taylor came from a fairly well-off background herself. Not heiress rich as Caroline was, but she wasn't 21 having to share a room with two younger siblings broke.

Among other reasons, this is why the rivalry between their daughters never landed. It was at its core a First World Problem conflict, with folks bitching about rich people shit and using two young women as proxies to do it, especially their mothers. And if the show had actually done this intentionally it could've been a great story to explore on its own.

But we can't have nice things, so 🤷‍♀️

• Love 6
9 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Now it's just a show about rich, horny people. 

Perhaps this explains why Eric is so devastated by his erectile dysfunction.  He's losing his identity, lol.  

Does anyone know who was the first person to be slapped by Stephanie?  I've seen quite a few Stephanie slaps while I've been watching all of the old Sheila scenes.  The earliest one I could find claimed to be from January of 1988, when she slaps Ridge.  

This one says May of 1988 for Brooke...

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I dunno about that, cuz Brooke slapped her during her pregnancy with Hope and I could've sworn on more than one occasion after that...

Yeah but it was a while between the BeLief slap and the pregnant with Hope slap...

Even between Brooke and Taylor who are very accomplished women, I *think* Taylor came from a fairly well-off background herself. Not heiress rich as Caroline was, but she wasn't 21 having to share a room with two younger siblings broke.

I think Taylor came from a similar background as Brooke. Taylor and Storm Logan graduated from the same high school and were classmates. She was just from a smaller family.

explore the conflict between the classes

I always felt like the Spectras were the best foil for the Forresters. They weren't from the upper class but were still in the fashion industry. Which is why for me they worked much better than the Logans, Marones, and Spencers (though it was nice having people from those families orbiting the Forresters and Spectras).

Anyway, here is a lovely tribute to the great Sally Spectra , played by the late great Darlene Conley. Great song choice too for the character.

• Love 3

Taylor's father, Jack Hamilton, was an accountant. I remember that. She has a brother, Zack, who briefly appeared on the show as a love interest for a young Felicia. He had a sketchy past, but I don't remember what it was. Drug? He might have also done time. He was definitely a grifter.

Jack Hamilton has a severe gambling problem and maybe alcoholism as well. It was always eluded to that he was somehow responsible for the death of Zack and Taylor's mother, Susan. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I always felt like the Spectras were the best foil for the Forresters. They weren't from the upper class but were still in the fashion industry. Which is why for me they worked much better than the Logans, Marones, and Spencers (though it was nice having people from those families orbiting the Forresters and Spectras).

You know, it's taken me this long to realize this was the main reason why Nick's post-divorce turn to the dark side didn't work. Now, Dominick Payne started his life as an outsider to the Forrester family crap, but by the time he was able to use the board to oust his father from Marone Industries and buy out FC to put screws on Stephanie, he wasn't the scrappy little underdog in a red suit just looking for an honest break.

I always hated on principle that he got ruined to prop Bridge but I think TIIC actually made the most compelling case that Ridge had actually changed up to that point. But what I hated more is that Nick had essentially become Ridge in all the worst way: his entitled behavior and using money to swing around and the avenging of his mother's accident felt secondary to his butthurt over losing Brooke to The Dressmaker™. Which is Classic Ridge and no one wanted that.

Re: the Spectras, while they were pretty well off enough, they never had the respect of Old Money People* and even after the Forrester fights cooled down, they never really seem to want into the family too much. The show has been lacking a true clash of values and the very few characters who come from rough backgrounds since have been Dayzee and Maya, who got assimilated into the Forrester group faster than you can say "We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile". Its truly a shame.

*Side tangent, but a very Old Money online friend of mine once told me there's a lot of subtle rules they teach themselves to keep them separate from New Money, which is how the rule of only wearing white between Memorial and Labor Day came about. I know no one who pays any mind to that, especially in Southern California where 65 is cold enough to make people fish out ski jackets, but I bring it up to say Bill Bell was great at depicting the fact that money did not buy respect.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

I know no one who pays any mind to that, especially in Southern California where 65 is cold enough to make people fish out ski jackets,

My mom in California still follows that rule, although she is not Old Money. Granted, she is 78. And this mom does too:

Stephanie would not commit murder over it but she certainly noticed, I have no doubt...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

On 10/11/2014 at 2:10 AM, Anna Yolei said:

came up, and I can't figure out any context for this scene whatsoever, and the Polish voice over made it impossible to pick out the English.

It was so funny at this time how they portrayed Brooke as some damsel in distress, with this scent, and Kimberly pushing her through the glass and Brooke almost dying from the glass falling on her, and the track lighting knocking her out, etc.

On 4/6/2021 at 11:24 AM, backhometome said:

Where is RJ? you would think Brooke would favor the one kid she has with her destiny soulmate Ridge 🙄

I have wondered this too

Edited by lovelycreatures
Wrong reply
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm probably still gonna download all of those just in case. 

Seriously, Paramount Plus has all 41 seasons of Survivor to view but they can't put some back episodes online?

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tessaray said:

I never knew Lane Davies played Ridge. 

I'd never seen much of the Lane Davies! Ridge before this clip but interestingly, he bears more a resemblance to the current Ridge than Ronn Moss who he was filling in for at the time 🤔

1 hour ago, Anna Yolei said:

I'd never seen much of the Lane Davies! Ridge before this clip but interestingly, he bears more a resemblance to the current Ridge than Ronn Moss who he was filling in for at the time 🤔

I agree. Both TK and LD have a sharp edge that RM lacks. 

Mason and Julia were one of my all-time favorite supercouples. Lane Davies could bring the snark. 

HTy was very beautiful but in that clip she was awfully eager to mud wrestle Brooke for Ridge. It wasn't a great look on a doctor.

• Love 1

I never knew Lane Davies played Ridge. 

Ron Moss at the time took some time off to film a movie, so they had LD play the role temporarily. It was certainly an interesting choice. He did seem to have decent chemistry with HT, KKL, and others, so while his Ridge was different than RM's, I kind of liked his brief turn on the show.

Here are some more scenes:

HTy was very beautiful but in that clip she was awfully eager to mud wrestle Brooke for Ridge. It wasn't a great look on a doctor.

I...don't think she meant it literally. Given how passive the character could be at times, I thought it was nice to see her with a backbone in that clip.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

I...don't think she meant it literally. Given how passive the character could be at times, I thought it was nice to see her with a backbone in that clip.

🙂 I didn't mean literally, just that as a psychiatrist she should have been a bit more above the fray? 

Of course, I never watched B&B until 2014, 2015 and by then the ToD 2.0 was in full swing, so really don't know alot about Taylor. She’s been absent or bonkers for the most part.

• Love 1

I just learnt a new BatB fact today! Well maybe retro-new ;)

Okay a lot of y'all may already have known it, but it is always fun when we learn something new!

I just read that Fabio agreed to guest star on BatB several times as one of Sally's close friends was because he and Darlene Conley where close friends in real life!

That is so wholesome! :)

• Useful 1