Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 7/29/2024

• Start Topic

Final week of season 27

Monday, July 29 – Rob and John Owen Lowe (co-stars, “Unstable”); Ladies Get Lit

Tuesday, July 30 – Jay Ellis (author, “Did Everyone Have an Imaginary Friend (or Just Me)?”)

Wednesday, July 31 – Peter Brynolf and Jonas Ljung (off-Broadway’s “Stalker”)

Thursday, Aug. 1 – The Political View with Gov. Chris Sununu (R-N.H.)

Friday, Aug. 2 – Michelle Jacobs and Sally Mueller (founders, Womaness)

• Thanks 5
(edited)

Unstable is a half-hour sitcom premiering on Thursday, August 2 on Netflix. 
The View will be all reruns after this so: enjoy! 

Edited by Glitches
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"And where did you that get that from?... But where did you hear it the first time?"

🤭 Whoopi to Ana. Whoopi is saying copycat.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Re: complicit/complacent 

Whoopi acts like this is the first time she's made a mistake, "I guess Joe isn't the only one <insert Cheshire cat grin>"

Maybe she should withdraw from re-election  give up her moderator position. 

And she wanted credit for that joke, Ana!

Edited by Blissfool
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

And she wanted credit for that joke, Ana!

yeah, that desperation was cringy

* and tbh- that sounded more like something that Ana would say than Whoopi

Edited by 2JEWELL
  • Like 6

Today Joy said that onky 18 year old boys that are in public school must sign up for selective service. She said boys in private school do not. Is she correct? I've never heard of that. Did I mis-hear? Doesn’t seem right.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Today Joy said that onky 18 year old boys that are in public school must sign up for selective service. She said boys in private school do not. Is she correct? I've never heard of that. Did I mis-hear? Doesn’t seem right.

From sss.gov:

Registration is a way our government keeps a list of names of men from which to draw in case of a national emergency requiring rapid expansion of our Armed Forces. By registering all young men, Selective Service ensures that a future draft will be fair and equitable.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

From sss.gov:

Registration is a way our government keeps a list of names of men from which to draw in case of a national emergency requiring rapid expansion of our Armed Forces. By registering all young men, Selective Service ensures that a future draft will be fair and equitable.

Also from the SSS.gov

According to the Selective Service System, almost all male U.S. citizens and male immigrants between the ages of 18 and 25 must register for Selective Service, which is also known as the draft:

U.S. citizens born in the U.S., naturalized, or dual citizens

U.S. citizens living outside the country

Legal permanent residents and undocumented immigrants

Refugees and asylum seekers

Transgender people assigned male at birth

People with disabilities

If I remember correctly my son upon turning 18 received something in the mail. Sunny says her son didn't get anything.  She is most likely wrong about that.

• Like 2

The interview yesterday with "the other guy's" nephew. I was puzzled at Whoopi's comment yesterday at the end of the interview about "that other guy" when she said to the audience, "Don't worry about him, he can't hurt you, remember there are more of us than him." Does she actually not understand that "the other guy" would have the backing of the cult, and possibly the support of the military, if things went south? Does she not realize that the IRS, for example, could make people's lives miserable if "the other guy" comes back into power?  I fully expect many people who are able to do so will leaving the US if he is elected.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

From sss.gov:

I'm just puzzled at Joy saying boys in private school don't register. Sunny even backed that statement up by saying her son didn't have to register. Amongst all the chatter, I heard one of the ladies say "That's elitist!"

9 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I'm just puzzled at Joy saying boys in private school don't register. Sunny even backed that statement up by saying her son didn't have to register. Amongst all the chatter, I heard one of the ladies say "That's elitist!"

It wouldn't be the first time Joy or Sunny was wrong.  This show has a long history of a panelist saying something totally untrue with no on the panel correcting them.  This is why I can't watch Hot Topics.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I wasn't sure whether she said they had to sign up, or take some kind of class or test. Either way, it didn't sound correct. It may be that some places offer a kind of ROTC type activity, but as far as I know, all males of a certain age have to register. 

Perhaps The View should have the kind of fact-checking they always advocate for debates. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
28 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

This show has a long history of a panelist saying something totally untrue with no on the panel correcting them.  This is why I can't watch Hot Topics.

Perhaps they could ask Sunny to deliver a correction, the way she does the "legal notes". That might be an interesting segment - "Yesterday, <X> said that <blah blah blah> which is not accurate. The fact is: <etc. etc. etc.>. Please note this update." Depending on how well the panelists research, this could take up some time!

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
12 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Perhaps they could ask Sunny to deliver a correction, the way she does the "legal notes". That might be an interesting segment - "Yesterday, <X> said that <blah blah blah> which is not accurate. The fact is: <etc. etc. etc.>. Please note this update." Depending on how well the panelists research, this could take up some time!

With a 44 minute run time, and 10 of it being given to Whoopi to bloviate about something, they wouldn't even have time for a guest.

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

It wouldn't be the first time Joy or Sunny was wrong.  This show has a long history of a panelist saying something totally untrue with no on the panel correcting them.  This is why I can't watch Hot Topics.

I feel like I sometimes lose brain cells watching this show.  Someone should have corrected Joy.  Private school male students are not exempt from what is commonly called the Draft.  And since they would be 18 they wouldn't be students for much longer anyways.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I feel like I sometimes lose brain cells watching this show.  Someone should have corrected Joy.  Private school male students are not exempt from what is commonly called the Draft.  And since they would be 18 they wouldn't be students for much longer anyways.

Seriously, all Sara had to do was Google it while they were at the table.

• Like 3

Again with Whoopi saying to the audience this morning "I have a sense of deja vu seeing you all!"  It's getting oooooold. I saw her on an episode of CBS Sunday Morning and she seemed so different, so ... normal.  I like her better when she is not doing schtick.

• Like 12
(edited)

I wonder if Joy was confusing the time when college students were exempt from could defer the draft?

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yeah, that discussion is a good reason why I question anyone who insists that The View is a news show.  It often highlights important issues (project 2025) but at the end of the day it's entertaining and can be enlightening but it should never be anyone's idea of the final say on something!

Edited by Dimity
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I wonder if Joy was confusing the time when college students were exempt from the draft?

I thought that but I think Joy wanted to make the point it's usually people that aren't rich who end up fighting our wars. And she isn't wrong but what she said isn't true. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Mollywolly555 said:

I thought I heard that "draft for public school kids only" was in Project 525 or 2025,... blaming on name right now.  

I also think she was confusing it with project 2025.    It proposes that all students who attend schools that receive federal funding (public schools) be required to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (basically the military entrance exam) 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
17 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I also think she was confusing it with project 2025. 

Why do the names of these projects and initiatives and whatnot always sound like something from 1984 or another dystopian novel and seem like they should be run by a Bond villain?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Why do the names of these projects and initiatives and whatnot always sound like something from 1984 or another dystopian novel and seem like they should be run by a Bond villain?

Because they are & they are, without the Bond part.

• Like 13
45 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I also think she was confusing it with project 2025.    It proposes that all students who attend schools that receive federal funding (public schools) be required to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (basically the military entrance exam) 

I'm glad they're talking about this but they really need to pull it together and make clear that that's what they're talking about it.  Make it loud and clear ladies!

• Like 4

Someone should let Whoopi know that Simone Biles is the most decorated American female gymnast in Olympic history, not the most decorated female gymnast all up. There are a number of women ahead of her with total number of medals. I didn't recognize most of their names, except for Nadia Comăneci, who has 9 total medals. It is possible that Simone could get more medals, but she isn't the best of all time, "going back to when the Romans had the games", as Whoopi said. Did the Romans ever have the games? Maybe the modern Romans, but I don't think you can compare the modern games with the ancient competitions. 

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Back in high school, I knew several people who took the ASVAB just to get out of class for the day.  LOL.  

• Like 3

As they were doing, yesterday Joy was clearly talking about the Project 2025 proposed draft requirement for only public schools students vs. private school kids; then I come here, as I do often do, and find that someone just simply didn’t listened and attributed her comment to the current situation in USA.

Joy was not “confused”.

I said to myself “the next commenters will correct her, right?” but…. No. Post after post after post pile on on Joy’s “mistake”, and even when clarified, will just ignore their MISTAKE. Wow. But it happens ALL THE TIME with ALL of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 3
5 minutes ago, SwanLeda said:

As they were doing, yesterday Joy was clearly talking about the Project 2025 proposed draft requirement for only public schools students vs. private school kids; then I come here, as I do often do, and find that someone just simply didn’t listened and attributed her comment to the current situation in USA.

Joy was not “confused”.

Thank you.  Like a lot of others posting here I think (could be wrong) I watch with one eye on the TV and the other eye on something else.  I do miss stuff sometimes and I am glad to have someone who pays better attention than I do clarifying this.  

The View is one of the few places I am hearing about Project 2025 and I hope they keep talking!

• Like 7

Yes, the Project 2025 agenda is horrific and if implemented, will have devastating effects on USA and us the rest of the world, as often happens with American political and social events.

I hope they keep spotlighting it.

• Like 10
42 minutes ago, SwanLeda said:

Joy was not “confused”.

I said to myself “the next commenters will correct her, right?” but…. No. Post after post after post pile on on Joy’s “mistake”, and even when clarified, will just ignore their MISTAKE. Wow. But it happens ALL THE TIME with ALL of them.

I'm the one that according to you "simply didn't listen." I did listen and I rewound and listened again. Joy was not clear. But thanks to you I went back to yesterday's show and listened once again. Here's a transcript:

<Whoopi and Sunny were saying how Project 2025 plans to get rid of Dept. of Education and make it hard to earn overtime pay>

Joy: "They've been trying to undermine and overthrow - this has been many decades of planning because they've been trying to ovethrow FDR's policies the entire time. What really gets me is that you have to register for the draft or you have to take an exam for the draft when you hit 18, if you're a boy, I believe, only if you go to public school. So if you go to private school, you don't have to do that. That is the most elitist thing I've ever heard in my life."

Sunny: "My son didn't have to do that. Wooow!"

Joy most probably was talking of Project 2025, because I cannot believe she would not know about the draft, but, in my opinion, she did not make it clear because

1. She was using present tense verbs.

2. She started by saying that they've been trying to do away with FDR's policies for decades. I took it that she meant this  draft discussion as an example of what's been going on for decades.

3. Sunny's interjection made it seem like they were talking about the present, since she mentioned that her son didn't have to do that.

• Like 5
(edited)

What point was Whoopi trying to make by bringing up Sunny's handwriting on her wine bottles?  I'm sure no one actually thinks Sunny handwrote each bottle.  And if Whoopie's point was that someone could copy Sunny's handwriting/signature, Sunny has probably autographed hundreds or thousands of copies of her books over the last few years, so her signature is already out there.  Or did Whoopi just want to throw cold water on her because Sunny was happily celebrating her own project?  I'm not a Sunny fan, but I do notice Whoopi likes to pick on her.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

1. She was using present tense verbs.

Reading the transcript it does make sense though that she is talking in the present because she is talking about a clear and present danger.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

What point was Whoopi trying to make by bringing up Sunny's handwriting on her wine bottles?  I'm sure no one actually thinks Sunny handwrote each bottle.  And if Whoopie's point was that someone could copy Sunny's handwriting/signature, Sunny has probably autographed hundreds or thousands of copies of her books over the last few years, so her signature is already out there.  Or did Whoopi just want to throw cold water on her because Sunny was happily celebrating her own project?  I'm not a Sunny fan, but I do notice Whoopi likes to pick on her.

That was awkward. I, too, thought that she thought people would copy the signature and commit some sort of identy theft, but celebrities sign autographs every day! 

On Reddit, someone mentioned that maybe Whoopi thought people would expect Sunny personally handwriting each label.

As always, who knows what Whoopi was thinking! It was an unnecessary comment.

• Like 1

English is my second language. At any moment I thought Joy was talking about anything else but Project 2025, only when I came here I saw that interpretation. CONTEXT is important.

And objectivity towards the person speaking.

I am counting on SOMEBODY to point out the moment when Trump took Rachel Scott’s water bottle off the table and tightened the cap. With Rachel Scott still sitting right there.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)

The problem with Sununu’s conviction that the voters need to decide who the candidates will be is that so few people vote in primaries. It was only a small portion of voters who decided Biden vs YKW.  Who cares if there was some behind the scenes pressure for everyone to support Kamala?  If Dems don’t like her they can say so in Nov, but by all indications it looks like the party is surging.

If he thinks voters need more voice he should be campaigning for the dismantling of the electoral college.

Sununu is a hypocrite and a putz.

Great news about the release of Whelan and Gershkovich. 

So tomorrow is the last show before the break?

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 13
  • Applause 1

Sununu is being a whiny little bitch because Trump is now the one looking like a doddering old senile & in his case after yesterday very racist white man. They're all (Trump supporting Republicans) clutching at any straws they can find & are already making excuses ready for calling the election rigged in case they lose, of course it won't be rigged if they win. 

Oh how the turns have tabled.

• Like 9
  • Applause 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

So tomorrow is the last show before the break?

On one of the podcasts this week Brian said they will be live Friday which surprised me.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Sununu is a hypocrite and a putz.

When there was a chance Trump wasn't going to run again  Sununu sounded rational.  Now with Trump the de facto head of Sununu's party he of course is bending a knee. I seem to remember some of us here saying Alyssa was going to end up disappointed in him and here we are.

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

Sununu is being a whiny little bitch

They always end up showing their true colors.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 8

Re: Writing on wine bottles - as someone who has handwriting that is criticized as "unintelligible", I wonder if Whoopi was teasing Sunny that the writing on the wine bottles was too "good" to be hers. 

Today - Sunny is misleading to suggest that people voted for Kamala Harris herself in 2020 because "she was on the ticket". My experience is very few people vote based on who the VP candidate it. The presidential nominee chooses the VP candidate (with input from party leaders); voters don't get to pick the VP on the ticket. I think many, if not most, voters who chose Biden would have done so regardless of who the VP choice was. So, Kamala still has to prove herself as the primary candidate this time around.

Would Whoopi truly describe Sunny's interrogation technique with Sununu as "talking" about our differences? Whoopi's trying to convince the guest that they want to have a respectful discussion, and Sunny decides to see if her prosecutorial skills are still working.  I don't think they changed his mind about Trump, but I doubt that they have had much success doing that with guests in general.

On 7/31/2024 at 9:35 AM, KittyQ said:

I wasn't sure whether she said they had to sign up, or take some kind of class or test. Either way, it didn't sound correct. It may be that some places offer a kind of ROTC type activity, but as far as I know, all males of a certain age have to register. 

Perhaps The View should have the kind of fact-checking they always advocate for debates. 

We used to blame their misinformation on the three o’clock guy . 

• LOL 2
(edited)

Joy needs to stop with the “orange” label re: Trump. It’s cutesy and not funny anymore. She needs to say stuff like what Mark Kelly said last night on CNN-“He’s a scared and desperate old man.”  And what was with that mocking sound she made when Sara was making her point? And then Sara gave her a playful shove, haha. I doubt Joy approved of THAT.

And of course nobody pointed out the bit when Trump took Rachel Scott’s water bottle off the table and tightened the cap. Talk about weird. And, I suspect, a rather blatant, pitiful attempt of an aggressive move.

At the end Whoopi said it was her last show of the year. We wish. Just for the SEASON, Whoopi, get it right.

Edited by TimWil
  • Like 4
  • LOL 4
1 minute ago, TimWil said:

Joy needs to stop with the “orange” label re: Trump. It’s cutesy and not funny anymore. She needs to say stuff like what Mark Kelly said last night on CNN-“He’s a scared and desperate old man.”  And what was with that mocking sound she made when Sara was making her point? And then Sara gave her a playful shove, haha. I doubt Joy approved of THAT.

And of course nobody pointed out the bit when Trump took Rachel Scott’s water bottle off the table and tightened the cap. Talk about weird. And, I suspect, a rather blatant, pitiful attempt of an aggressive move.

It's a power move used by abusers to control apparently. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, TimWil said:

Joy needs to stop with the “orange” label re: Trump.

She should use the term a friend of mine uses:  Mango Mussolini

58 minutes ago, Shrek said:

She needs to say stuff like what Mark Kelly said last night on CNN-“He’s a scared and desperate old man.”  

Joy is older than Trump, I don't think she'll call him an old man.  Scared and desperate, yes, she should definitely use.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1