Type keyword(s) to search

S6 E1: You Kept the Plants Alive

• Start Topic

Premiere! More of this shit show.

My thoughts:

Kim is having financial problems, so she bought a 33-foot house boat. 

Weird that they don’t seem to want to show Micah’s new GF’s face. Maybe she just doesn’t want to be associated with this show.

Ethan can act all emotional if he wants, but if I told my wife that I want kids, but not with her, I’d be out the door. 

Moriah being vague about “the man she thought she knew” who broke her heart has me thinking she was probably banging a married guy. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
12 minutes ago, camom said:

Ethan has to be the worst communicator ever. 

Yes! It’s so frustrating! I don’t blame Olivia for getting sick of that. It takes compromise to make a marriage work, and if you can’t communicate, how can you possibly compromise? 

Good guess, JayDub1987. I think either Moriah’s ex could have been married or on drugs. 

Was anyone else grossed out with Kim getting ready in that marina bathroom? And barefoot? Speaking of bare feet, Micah’s new girl’s feet were FILTHY.  I mean, her feet were black. Yuck.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1

I was so impressed by how Olivia conducted herself with Ethan, keeping the conversation on task, not allowing him to trigger her or divert her away from her mission.  And she did it all so gently and kindly.  It's clear to me that she continues to receive excellent therapy away from the camera to help her navigate such situations so maturely.  

I loved how Ethan tried to get Olivia to say she was at fault for not trying to work problems out with some of his toxic family members.  Instead she simply apologized for not recognizing the futility of the situation and cutting it off earlier.  It's obvious this wasn't what he wanted to hear. 

Something I found odd was how Ethan remains mad how Olivia made him chose between her and his family.  Surely he was raised with the biblical scripture and mandate about leaving your parents and cleaving to your spouse.  The idea of the spouse coming first is precisely what Ethan surely had been raised to believe.  This should never have been an issue for him or his family. 

Interesting how Olivia admitted that she had been relieved that Ethan had been the one to suggest divorce as she was already there but didn't want to be the one to pull the trigger.  

Watching Ethan's lack of eye contact and minimal words probably reminded Olivia of how painful it was to communicate with Ethan.  I imagine it assured her she'd made the right decision to split.  They had some tough issues between them but any chance of surmounting them became impossible with his incapability of talking about them.   

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Fouts said:

Something I found odd was how Ethan remains mad how Olivia made him chose between her and his family.  Surely he was raised with the biblical scripture and mandate about leaving your parents and cleaving to your spouse.  The idea of the spouse coming first is precisely what Ethan surely had been raised to believe.  This should never have been an issue for him or his family. 

Cults, like the one that Ethan was raised in, don't actually preach/teach Scripture. They take a few passages and twist them to fit their own need for power. So no, Ethan was probably never taught that a "man should leave his father and mother and cling to his wife" because that wouldn't benefit Kim and Barry at all. Since the guy can still barely read, he'll likely never know about that part.

• Like 9
49 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Cults, like the one that Ethan was raised in, don't actually preach/teach Scripture. They take a few passages and twist them to fit their own need for power. So no, Ethan was probably never taught that a "man should leave his father and mother and cling to his wife" because that wouldn't benefit Kim and Barry at all. Since the guy can still barely read, he'll likely never know about that part.

Yes, had Ethan actually been married in the full biblical sense, his mother wouldn't have full access to his credit card.  

Olivia handled him pretty well, although I sometimes get the impression that she has pre-rehearsed words and phrases she got in therapy rather than that her thoughts are spontaneous and all her own.  Then again, therapists do counsel people to have a script for difficult conversations so they can be sure to cover what needs to be said.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I suspect your are correct, Notabug, about a therapist preparing Olivia for her encounter with Ethan, though she didn't say these things until Ethan's words about his family necessitated it.  I was impressed by how calm she remained through it all. 

Olivia is over it in the healthiest of ways.  I think leaving Ethan's family behind, especially, has removed a huge amount of stress and turmoil in her life.  She may miss Ethan a little, but the family package he'd tied himself to made staying with him unbearable. 

Plus Ethan himself got so nasty and angry near the end.  I'll never forget how he  tormented Olivia in the car by spinning around in the snow that time, knowing she'd been traumatized by a serious auto injury in the past.  He deliberately used her traumas and vulnerabilities against her.  I don't know how you can trust a spouse who does that.  

I'm a big promoter of marriage and doing what you can to make it work, but Ethan made it impossible.  Olivia is better off without him.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 3

I’m not really a fan of any of these people. I think many people, even those not in a cult would have an issue with being forced to cut off all contact with their family. I would not force my spouse to see my family but I would not just cut them off either. Olivia is just as immature as Ethan, her Instagram is filled with pictures of her covered in hickies and holding vibrators. I do wonder how they all have the money for endless travel. I have to save up for one trip a year and Olivia takes 10 trips to Europe per year.

Kim’s boat looks cluttered and it must be hard to have the girls there but maybe having her freedom is worth it. Micah’s girlfriend seems kind of controlling but I guess I need to see more.

• Applause 1

I was actually surprised this was getting another season. For some reason I don't see Micha and his girlfriend lasting. Moriah is heartbroken again, runs home. Didn't her last boyfriend we see do the same thing? Kim looks like she gained all the weight back. Glad there was no righteous Lydia this episode

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Watching Olivia try to have a meaningful conversation with Ethan is legit painful.

He is so emotionally constipated. He has zero ability to truly process and share his own emotions. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
44 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

Watching Olivia try to have a meaningful conversation with Ethan is legit painful.

He is so emotionally constipated. He has zero ability to truly process and share his own emotions. 

None of them have the ability to be an equal partner in a relationship. They weren't raised to be adults; they're all stunted. Except (possibly) Hosanna.  She seems to be doing okay, but she also lives off camera and out of town. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, zenme said:

Speaking of bare feet, Micah’s new girl’s feet were FILTHY.  I mean, her feet were black. Yuck.

NO - you are not the only one! I about gagged when I saw that. She's supposedly only a year older than him, but she sounds like an older sugar mama who got a son/servant/lawn-pool-cabana boy. I guess when you grow up with a domineering narcissist like Kim, you're only going to be happy with someone like her until you heal out of the abuse.

IMG_7035.JPG

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

None of them have the ability to be an equal partner in a relationship. They weren't raised to be adults; they're all stunted. Except (possibly) Hosanna.  She seems to be doing okay, but she also lives off camera and out of town. 

I disagree in that I do feel that Olivia has grown and matured immeasurably and she sees what a vacant, lost, non communicative manboy she married. She still loves him I think, but she knows they can't be together because it's a no win, very unhealthy situation.

22 hours ago, Fouts said:

I was so impressed by how Olivia conducted herself with Ethan, keeping the conversation on task, not allowing him to trigger her or divert her away from her mission.  And she did it all so gently and kindly.  It's clear to me that she continues to receive excellent therapy away from the c

This! 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, surfgirl said:

I disagree in that I do feel that Olivia has grown and matured immeasurably and she sees what a vacant, lost, non communicative manboy she married. She still loves him I think, but she knows they can't be together because it's a no win, very unhealthy situation.

This! 

My post referred to the Plath bio children, not Olivia. She's shown great emotional growth as she deals with sulky Ethan. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
On 7/17/2024 at 6:02 PM, lightninggirl said:

NO - you are not the only one! I about gagged when I saw that. She's supposedly only a year older than him, but she sounds like an older sugar mama who got a son/servant/lawn-pool-cabana boy. I guess when you grow up with a domineering narcissist like Kim, you're only going to be happy with someone like her until you heal out of the abuse.

IMG_7035.JPG

I 100% got a cabana boy vibe from their interactions. Does Micah have a job? I heard him say something about not modeling as much, if any, but how’s he contributing to the household? 

• Like 2
On 7/16/2024 at 8:03 PM, camom said:

Ethan has to be the worst communicator ever. 

As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be--world without end.  AHHH-men!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
On 7/17/2024 at 9:19 AM, Madding crowd said:

Kim’s boat looks cluttered and it must be hard to have the girls there but maybe having her freedom is worth it. Micah’s girlfriend seems kind of controlling but I guess I need to see more.

Kind of?   His early life was nothing but control by a woman (mama).  Sadly, it's probably the most comfortable arrangement for him.

On 7/17/2024 at 9:16 AM, Fouts said:

Plus Ethan himself got so nasty and angry near the end.  I'll never forget how he  tormented Olivia in the car by spinning around in the snow that time, knowing she'd been traumatized by a serious auto injury in the past.  He deliberately used her traumas and vulnerabilities against her.  I don't know how you can trust a spouse who does that.  

I agree.   He's actually dangerous--and a stunted child.  HE'S the one who needs therapy, although I don't think he understands how to listen...really listen.  His mother was in such control that he didn't grow up seeing a marriage (or even a friendship) that allowed two people to love, support, and defend each other. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Kind of?   His early life was nothing but control by a woman (mama).  Sadly, it's probably the most comfortable arrangement for him.

This is what Olivia had to do to make it work. That has to get old though, and I’m sure Olivia needed a full grown man. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 4

I don't understand all the Olivia love unless women are just projecting/identifying with the "long-suffering wife" thing.  She's at least as culpuble - and insufferable - as Ethan.  If anything, Ethan is by far the more mature and rational/reasonable of the two of them.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
On 7/17/2024 at 5:02 PM, lightninggirl said:

IMG_7035.JPG

We call them "Wal Mart feet". Acceptable in children under 10, especially in the summer. Definitely not in a young woman heading to work with no keys, bag, sunglasses or drink in her hands. Calling shenanigans!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, zenme said:
11 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

This is what Olivia had to do to make it work. That has to get old though, and I’m sure Olivia needed a full grown man. 

I think my comment was about Micah and his new (controlling?) girlfriend ... not Ethan/Olivia.  

2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I think my comment was about Micah and his new (controlling?) girlfriend ... not Ethan/Olivia.  

I think the same probably applies to Micah.  

• Like 1
On 7/16/2024 at 10:57 PM, JayDub1987 said:

Moriah being vague about “the man she thought she knew” who broke her heart has me thinking she was probably banging a married guy. 

Is Moriah still whining about her bf from a couple seasons ago?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Is Moriah still whining about her bf from a couple seasons ago?

Nah. This was a new guy who turned out not to be the “man she thought she knew.” I’m betting she was banging a married guy, got caught, and ran away. 

• Like 5

Kim is such a PoS human. When she is saying "I'd rather be on a boat with my girls, than in a big house with...fill in the blank *smirk*" I wanted to smack the smirk off her mug. It was such a shitty and immature thing to say and shows what a nasty piece of work she really is. All she needed to say was, "The large house was nice, but I'd rather be on a small boat with my girls than in a big, fancy house in a marriage that's not working." That says what it is without being a total bitch. Not that I think Barry is a saint, he is not! But at least he doesn't shit talk Kim on camera. She's insufferable.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

"You Kept the Plants Alive".  Life in Plathville is changing dramatically these days. Moriah leaves Tampa behind. Kim abandons prudence and pursues a lifetime dream, while Micah flees his hectic existence in Los Angeles after a strange female wins his heart.

Out of curiosity and boredom, I watched this ep.  Gawd, I am so over these people!

• Micah moved to Florida to do construction and lives with a bossy girlfriend.
  • Kim bought a houseboat for some stupid reason. It looks cramped and I can only assume it has never left the dock. I don't believe her line about preferring a small comfy boat to a big house with "blank". 
  • I ended up fast-forwarding thru the Olivia and Ethan parts, which was about a third of this ep. 
  • What a weird way to introduce Moriah, misleading us into thinking Bary has a girlfriend. I swear to gawd, those tattoos on her are expanding and getting worse. I am fondling remembering the days when she only had HEBEL on her forearm. It turns out she's in Cairo because she fled a relationship that went bad. She sure knows how to pick 'em.

• Like 1

Gotta love how Barry made Ethan feel oh-so-much-better by assuring him he'd done nothing wrong with his marriage.  I feel for whomever Ethan partners with the future.  Boy will have learned absolutely zero. 

Ethan still will be Mr non-communicator fused to a toxic family without boundaries.  He'll remain incapable of eye contact while allowing his narcissistic mom to poison his relationships.  Good luck with that, Ethan.  

Olivia seems to be thriving, though I find it both sad and fascinating how cult escapees like her often abandon any and all faith.  I suppose they've had it all too closely tied together to distinguish between them.  

• Like 6

Barry is a piece of work.  He's just as bad as Kim, he is just better at hiding it.  Once you have known someone like him (and I have) you can spot them a mile off.  He's two-faced and calculating.  Catch him smirking when talking about how the failure of the marriage was Olivia's problem.  

And Kim is fooling no one with her supposedly living on the boat.  No way is that happening.  If it was why would Ken be there every time she and Barry trade off the kids?  And as much as I dislike Barry, he owes creepy Ken nothing.

• Like 4

I agree, Meow Mix, about Barry vs Ken.  Crazy how Kim thinks Barry should become BFFs with Ken.  One big happy family! 

This is especially rich considering we've never seen Barry criticize anything about Ken's existence while Kim has no problem announcing she can't stand being in the same room as Barry.  I've never been divorced, but isn't it Divorce 101 not to denigrate your ex-spouse in front of your kids--even if it's just them witnessing it on TV later? 

BTW, I wonder if it bothers Kim that her new beau has so many marbles rolling around in his mouth that he requires captioning?  He may (or may not) be a nice man, but the guy's clearly no Rhodes Scholar.  

• LOL 3

Pattycake, good point.  I'd either not heard of that before about Ken or had forgotten.  Nothing redeeming about the guy whatsoever.   

• Like 1
On 7/28/2024 at 5:22 PM, Pattycake2 said:

Nice man?  Just a reminder that Ken had his fb page scrubbed of racist stuff.

Meh. Depends on what definition of "RACIST!!!" was used.

• Like 1
On 8/4/2024 at 5:27 PM, Not Buyin It said:

Meh. Depends on what definition of "RACIST!!!" was used.

I’m very curious what he wrote..  He is NOT an attractive man that’s for sure.  I would have thought Kim would go for looks.  Maybe she tried and couldn’t get anyone better.  She’s hideous inside and out.

Olivia thinks she’s smarter than everyone (well maybe she is, with this group) and the most sophisticated, gorgeous, etc.  She decided that she was too good for Ethan and made him so miserable that he would be the one to want the divorce.  

I hate the whole family.  Why am I watching? 🤣 

• Like 1