Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Hi, I'm surfgirl, and I am an Olympiholic. Anyone else excited for the Paris Games? I heard they were going to have acrobats off the bridges along the Seine, and the Parade of Nations would be by boat along the river, which could be really cool. But now I'm hearing that there are multiple plans in play for security reasons. No matter what plan they go with, I'm sure Paris and France will kick ass on the Opening and Closing ceremonies.

• Like 15
  • Love 1

After having watched the movie Under Paris, I have visions in my mind of Olympic things happening in the Seine.  And they're not good.

Hope all goes well in all the venues - on land and in the water.

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is there a schedule for people who don't have Peacock and hope to catch the games on regular NBC (& maybe some other channels)? 

In addition to NBC, USA and CNBC are showing some live coverage, at least the first weekend. I didn't look into weekdays, but I guess at least USA will have coverage during the day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So a Lady Gaga and Celine Dion duet is apparently on the schedule. I like this- Lady Gaga has a good track record of working well with folks who have health issues. 

• Like 6
On 7/17/2024 at 10:26 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

In addition to NBC, USA and CNBC are showing some live coverage, at least the first weekend. I didn't look into weekdays, but I guess at least USA will have coverage during the day. 

USA is running some already, soccer and rugby.    NBC will have a lot of daytime coverage.   I'm guessing the Golf channel will only cover golf.  Plus some is on NBC, CNBC, E!, USA.    Lots of the live coverage is on Peacock but at the early hours of the morning. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, selkie said:

So a Lady Gaga and Celine Dion duet is apparently on the schedule. I like this- Lady Gaga has a good track record of working well with folks who have health issues. 

I really, really hope Celine is healthy enough to get through their performance. Watching her documentary was brutal, Stiff Person Syndrome is horrible and any kind of stress or excitement seems to trigger an episode for her.

• Like 6
(edited)

Opening Ceremony July 26, 7:30 p.m. local time.

Translation: It'll start at 1:30 PM EST today & shockingly, it's going to be on live on NBC. Yay.

Heck, even the Spanish Channel Telemundo is airing it live today at 1:30 PM. It'll probably be more entertaining than the NBC version.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Magog said:

Translation: It'll start at 1:30 PM EST today & shockingly, it's going to be on live on NBC. Yay.

Heck, even the Spanish Channel Telemundo is airing it live today at 1:30 PM. It'll probably be more entertaining than the NBC version.

The preview to the opening ceremonies is on NBC right now.

I’m not thrilled to see the coverage team included Kelly Clarkson and Peyton Manning. Nothing against either of them, but I’m not sure what insight they can provide as far as the Olympics are concerned.

I’m much less thrilled about reports of a coordinated attack on rail transport in France, which is certainly screwing things up for everyone. I hope the ceremonies go ahead smoothly.

• Like 9

We're ten minutes in, and I'm already teary, even with the complete superfluousness of Kelly and Peyton.

I want to tear Thomas Bach's throat out, just on general principle.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 6/25/2024 at 6:08 PM, surfgirl said:

Hi, I'm surfgirl, and I am an Olympiholic. Anyone else excited for the Paris Games?

HI I'm Daisy and I am an Olympicholic (but i will say with my health issues and so many other things i nearly forgot about them. I think the Tokyo games also threw off my internal counter).  The OMG THEY ARE HERE has yet to kick in - but i'm sure I'll get into it as the two weeks go on. (just show me equestrian CBC i beg of you.)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Oh, and why did Mike Tirico say the American athletes would come at the end of the parade?  Since the French for "United States of America" is "États-Unis d'Amérique" and since the parade is alphabetical by the host country's language, we should come right after Estonia, which won't even be halfway through.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Just now, NUguy514 said:

Oh, and why did Mike Tirico say the American athletes would come at the end of the parade?  Since the French for "United States of America" is "États-Unis d'Amérique" and since the parade is alphabetical by the host country's language, we should come right after Estonia, which won't even be halfway through.

bet you a dollar he forgot about that. 

• Like 3

It’s because the US is hosting the next summer games in LA. Certain rules: Greece goes first, next hosts go second to last and the current host goes last. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 15
(edited)

What is so wonderful about a bunch of people waving giant pink pom-poms?   

I hope none of the athletes get sea sick.  The river looks rough today.  

What the hell is the torch bearer in black, jumping over roof tops, and wearing some kind of mask supposed to be?   

Snoop Dogg, Mike Turico, and Hoda, not exactly incisive reporting.  

Love the Canadians, at last a team that all look happy and who have a big boat, with CAR and Chile with them.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
Just now, Daisy said:

Yeah, he is a moron, after all.

Just now, Chaser said:

It’s because the US is hosting the next summer games in LA. Certain rules: Greece goes first, next hosts go second to last and the current host goes last. 

Oh, actually, I'm the moron!!!🤪

I think I knew that at one point, but I'm just a dumb-dumb today.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, Chaser said:

they are?

Omg I really do need to return my Olympicholic card!  I either didn't know... Or I actually forgot

got-shame.gif

i am also not liking CBC's coverage. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

I dunno, I like the parade of boats, but the rest of the coverage or the production is very disjointed. Why is Lady Gaga suddenly doing a routine, and people in pink running in the streets?

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

It cannot be worse than NBC's coverage.

China just came out.  Its entire swimming delegation should be banned for systematic doping, but the IOC will always make the most cowardly decision in the name of 🤑🤑🤑.  If it had been, say, Angola's swimmers?  Banned forever.  Cash cow China?  It's fine as long as you pinky swear, China, that they're clean!

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
(edited)

Yes, the Lady Gaga pink pom pom dancers.    I like seeing the restoration of Notre Dame, but why are people dangling from scaffolding?  And dancing in fountains?  At least the fountain dancing is over.   

One slip by the scaffolding people or the torch runner, and this will be a very different ceremony.   Why are the mimes or dancers or whatever they are in the blue shorts and white tees holding their nuts? 

So, this is the first time since the fire that the bells of Notre Dame have rung.   That's a special moment.

Now an homage to beheaded Marie Antoinette, and the flaming liberty torches, and many more Marie Antoinettes.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I dunno, I like the parade of boats, but the rest of the coverage or the production is very disjointed. Why is Lady Gaga suddenly doing a routine, and people in pink running in the streets?

I actually like going back and forth.  The Parade of Nations can become a little monotonous after a while, and it's fun to have the scenes in Paris interspersed.  Paris is my favorite city in the world, though, so I might be biased.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2

Very underwhelmed so far with the opening ceremonies.  Seems very unorganized and messy.   I like Lady GaGa, but I'm curious why they wouldn't have a French performer.    I do like the parade of boats, it's a bit different. 

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, Daisy said:

they are?

Omg I really do need to return my Olympicholic card!  I either didn't know... Or I actually forgot

got-shame.gif

It’s a new format for the parade. I read about it a few days ago.

15 minutes ago, Daisy said:

But he literally just said it 😀

Woo that water is choppy.  And the sky behind Hoda was crazy dark.  Hopefully that means it’s not ungodly hot, especially with all those long sleeves.

I’m not loving how disjointed this whole thing is, though.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, NUguy514 said:

I actually like going back and forth.  The Parade of Nations can become a little monotonous after a while, and it's fun to have the scenes in Paris interspersed.  Paris is my favorite city in the world, though, so I might be biased.

you are allowed my friend.  I will say yeah especially in the summer, the parade can be really tedius but I will also not lie - i am confused haha

• Like 1

Meh.  I am not at all impressed with the opening ceremony.  It's boring, and all of the dancing is boring.  I'd much rather watch the athletes marching in a stadium.  I guess watching them in boats it's nice for the spectators though.  The Seine looks nasty, and I hope the athletes are going to be ok. 

Also, I didn't need to see Lady Gaga.  I hope Celine is ok.

And how in the hell did Kelly Clarkson get the job hosting along with Mike Tirico and Peyton Manning?  She brings nothing to the table.

• Like 5

I was surprised that given the boats are going in the order based on the country names in French, all the countries names on the boats are shown in English. I think I would have done bilingual.

• Like 1
(edited)

I like the concept. Parts of it are feeling Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade though. 

This musical part is stepping up for me.

Kelly please stop talking.

Edited by Chaser
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I guess UO but I’m liking it.

LA’s opening ceremonies should be about the history of movies.

Edited by mariah23
  • Like 7
1 minute ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Can't even escape Carmen during the summer games.

let's be thankful this might be only time we hear this Olympics!

• LOL 1

Does it make me sound stupid if I say I don’t get it?  I mean, some of it is cool, but I am confused.   I don’t think having so many taped segments helps at all.  

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

This is a hot fucking mess.  They need to bring out the guillotine and start chopping off some heads.

Totally agree!!!!   This is absolutely terrible.  JMO

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Does it make me sound stupid if I say I don’t get it?  I mean, some of it is cool, but I am confused.   I don’t think having so many taped segments helps at all.  

I don't either. CBC said they are doing 12 tableaus about France Ideologies?  but the taped parts vs. the live parts is very confusing. I will say this isn't going to hit top ten for Ceremonies for me. 

2 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I’m thinking some of this is structured since they need gaps in the parade to get the athletes off the boats.

this is true - they are sharing boats. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

The point of these is to show off Paris the city and its culture.  The athletes will be the focus going forward, but these are all about showcasing the most magical city in the world.

And the masked guy is doing parkour, which originated in France.

I think these are fan-fucking-tastic, so I will be the cheerleader here.  You don't give Paris the Olympics and hide inside a stadium for the Opening Ceremonies!

• Like 9
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 7