Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Day

• Start Topic

Kelnacca dying should have created a disturbance in the Force. As a Force Ghost, he should have told Sol what happened... WTF?!

So Qimir(aka Jason Mendoza from The Good Place) is definitely the Sith lord right?

I didn't expect Mai to want to turn herself in or Kelnacca dying so quickly.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, paigow said:

Kelnacca dying should have created a disturbance in the Force. As a Force Ghost, he should have told Sol what happened... WTF?!

Qui-Gon Jinn is the Jedi that discovered how to become a Force Ghost after death. Yoda tells Obi-Wan in Revenge of the Sith that he’s been learning from Qui-Gon. I have no idea how Anakin learned since this was after he became Vader. The same reason Leia remembers her biological mother who died in childbirth, I guess. George Lucas forgets or changes his mind in making different movies.

• Like 6

I suspect that Holden is working for the other side. Why? Indra Ové was a First Order officer in TROS. The rot started here! Actually, I've had a bit of a crush on her since Resident Evil way back in 2002. I was happy to see her!

Other than that, I found the episode both started and finished early. Oh good, another council meeting. Hey, more chemistry between Osha and Jecki! And naturally we cut off right at the action scene. Between those two points, I just wasn't feeling it. Wonky dialogue and dodgy sets/CG. Like, Jecki says how the locals say Kelnacca ventured into the forest and never returned. Sol stares into that forest. "We have to go in there." Yes, like she just said.

And Mae, what sort of prep work was she doing to prepare? Maybe it's just because I've played KOTOR 2 and read the ROTS novelisation, but they explain the trick. Don't confront them head on, distract them. Get them running around trying to fix everything you've broken. Target their alies or padawans. Wear them down. Then you can swoop in and finish the job.

I hope that next week isn't another flashback.

• Like 2

Damn, this episode was only 35 minutes and it certainly felt like it.  It seemed like they were ramping up for the final act for this episode and it just.... ended.  I'm all for shows not padding their series or having a set time in their minds, but this just felt kind of underwhelming when it ended and being more annoying that we have to wait for a resolution instead of being excited for what's to come.

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking Qimir/Manny Jacinto is going to end up being this "master" character.  He was the only one who knew where Keinacca was suppose to be and probably knew plenty of ways to get ahead of Mae and take him out before she got to him.  Hope we at least get a few moments of him going full baddie, because I want to see how Jason Mendoza does a Star Wars villain monologue!

Mae seemingly turning over a new leaf already and turning herself in was unexpected.  Doubt it will resolve anything though.  Even if she's sincere, the Jedi will somehow find a way to muck it all up!

RIP, Gigantic Bug that was just trying to take a nap, rightfully gets upset when someone touches him and wants to know why all these jerks in robes are trampling in their jungle, only to just get sliced to death by some guy who looks a lot like the lead guy from Squid Game!

They are definitely planting seeds for a potential Osha/Jecki pairing.  Which, considering how a lot of certain fans are already treating this show, they might as well go all in with it.  Really piss them off!

• Like 4

It struck me during this episode that Mae was trying to "kill a Jedi without a weapon". This has two interpretations depending on who is without the weapon, Mae or the Jedi she kills.

If it is a test of Mae's skill, her not using a weapon makes sense.

If, however, it is a test of ruthlessness killing an unarmed Jedi makes sense. Which if we think the unseen antagonist is a Sith leads me to think maybe the latter is the right way of thinking.

• Like 3

So the entire crew of Jedi soon to be redshirts walks by all those obvious slugs wrapped around trees and don’t even think they might be living creatures ?

Granted, not as stupid as fires in space or stone temples burning down but I really hate such obvious stupidity.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking Qimir/Manny Jacinto is going to end up being this "master" character.

Verbal Kint

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

My main amusement in this episode was imagining the reaction of all those Star Wars YouTubers who last week thought they had a brilliant theory that adult Mae and Osha were the same person with some kind of multiple personality disorder, so they didn't know they were the same person, and when Osha was cleared because Mae was seen while Osha was in Jedi custody, she'd actually Force projected herself. Their main evidence for this theory was that adult Osha and Mae are played by the same actress, while they used non-identical twins to play child Osha and Mae, therefore they were different people as kids, but whichever one actually survived also had the other one as part of her after the fire. (It couldn't possibly have been because there are restrictions on the amount of time a child actor can be on set, so having a single child actor play both twin roles would really slow down production).

But here, we have Osha conscious and surrounded by Jedi at the same time Mae is present elsewhere, which I think makes it clear that they're separate people.

It's really starting to bug me that the characters I'm intrigued by keep getting killed soon after they're introduced. I wanted to see more of Wookiee Jedi. I'm sure there will be more flashbacks, but still, the death rate of promoted characters on this show is getting ridiculous. So, does Sol get offed in the next episode?

The journey through the forest and seeing the various local lifeforms gave me Alan Dean Foster vibes. He liked to create new and interesting creatures on worlds in each of his books, and that bug wrapped around the tree was exactly the sort of thing he did (does? I don't know if he's retired).

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

My main amusement in this episode was imagining the reaction of all those Star Wars YouTubers who last week thought they had a brilliant theory that adult Mae and Osha were the same person with some kind of multiple personality disorder, so they didn't know they were the same person, and when Osha was cleared because Mae was seen while Osha was in Jedi custody, she'd actually Force projected herself. Their main evidence for this theory was that adult Osha and Mae are played by the same actress, while they used non-identical twins to play child Osha and Mae, therefore they were different people as kids, but whichever one actually survived also had the other one as part of her after the fire. (It couldn't possibly have been because there are restrictions on the amount of time a child actor can be on set, so having a single child actor play both twin roles would really slow down production).

But here, we have Osha conscious and surrounded by Jedi at the same time Mae is present elsewhere, which I think makes it clear that they're separate people.

Also, they have slightly different hair. Osha cuts hers just around shoulder level, Mae grows the back of hers longer. Just something I noticed this episode. A world of difference. :)

• Like 2

Damn, that lightsaber was red not orange - there goes my theory.

I liked Vernestra getting slightly annoyed in the meeting. Clearly the debriefing on what went down on Brendok was a bit spotty.

A bunch of Jedi traipse through a forest that is full with every Lepidopterophobics nightmares and only Osha can sense these creatures? 

I wonder about the significance of the symbols on the walls in Kelnacca's cave. The camera zoomed in on them with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Jecki remains the most interesting of the Jedi - she and Osha have great chemistry. I don't care if shows pulls a Korra (and the internet could catch up) although the vibes I'm getting seem more platonic. 

By now Qimir NOT being the Master would be a real surprise.

• Like 3

I'm okay with Mae changing her mind, but I need a reason for it. I do not understand why she had the sudden charge of heart. It makes absolutely no sense to me. 

I feel like a missed something huge. When did Osha and Jecki become close friends. When/what was the big bonding moment that I somehow missed? 

I don't understand why the Sith killed the wookiee jedi. 

I will continue watching to see if they explain some of this in a later episode.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I'm okay with Mae changing her mind, but I need a reason for it. I do not understand why she had the sudden charge of heart. It makes absolutely no sense to me. 

I think it was finding out that her sister was alive. She seems to have been on board with this mission largely out of revenge over her sister's death. Then she found out her sister was alive, and the more she thought about it, the harder it became for her to reconcile continuing to go through with it when she no longer had the revenge motivation. Why keep killing just to impress some guy whose motives she doesn't know or understand? A long walk in the woods is good for clarifying thoughts.

4 hours ago, Anduin said:

Also, they have slightly different hair. Osha cuts hers just around shoulder level, Mae grows the back of hers longer. Just something I noticed this episode. A world of difference. :)

The YouTubers with the multiple personality theory say this difference is just in how each personality sees herself, and the audience isn't seeing objective reality.

1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I don't understand why the Sith killed the wookiee jedi. 

There may be some additional reason given, but it may have been to show Mae she can't get off the hook so easily. Her not killing these people doesn't mean they won't be killed.

Interesting that while she's under orders to kill without using a weapon, the Sith clearly used a lightsaber. I guess that was part of the message, like signing a work of art, make it clear who did it. It doesn't look like it was meant to frame Mae or make her look guilty to the Jedi, since the Sith showing up made it fairly obvious who might have done it. If the Sith hadn't shown up, then they'd have found Mae in the cabin with the still-smoking body and assumed she did it. Instead, once they've fought the guy with the red lightsaber, her denials will be a lot more credible.

• Like 3

One of the Jedi in the meeting was Ki-Adi Mundi (seen in the prequels stating that the Sith haven't been seen in a millenium and ultimately getting blasted during Order 66).  I wonder if he's in there solely to get a subset of fans all riled up about how much this breaks canon.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I still just can't get over hating the yellow / gold Jedi robes.  Blech.

And, why exactly did Osha have to change clothes for this mission?

• Useful 1

One of the Star Wars YouTubers with the "Osha and Mae are the same person with multiple personality disorder" theory didn't mention it when discussing this week's episode. They have a new theory that Mae will end up being redeemed and Osha will be the one who becomes a Sith acolyte. The other seemed to think this episode reinforced the theory, that Osha was Force projecting Mae the whole time she was walking through the woods, surrounded by and talking to Jedi. It took Luke deep meditation to project himself, and it used up enough of his life force that it more or less killed him. Ironically, this same guy tends to get annoyed if any character does anything at all with the Force without extensive Jedi training, but he's totally on board with a Jedi washout being able to unconsciously Force project herself without having to do anything, and with a whole herd of Jedi around her not sensing that anything is going on with the Force.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

One of the Star Wars YouTubers with the "Osha and Mae are the same person with multiple personality disorder" theory didn't mention it when discussing this week's episode. They have a new theory that Mae will end up being redeemed and Osha will be the one who becomes a Sith acolyte. The other seemed to think this episode reinforced the theory, that Osha was Force projecting Mae the whole time she was walking through the woods, surrounded by and talking to Jedi. It took Luke deep meditation to project himself, and it used up enough of his life force that it more or less killed him. Ironically, this same guy tends to get annoyed if any character does anything at all with the Force without extensive Jedi training, but he's totally on board with a Jedi washout being able to unconsciously Force project herself without having to do anything, and with a whole herd of Jedi around her not sensing that anything is going on with the Force.

I went with mind blown because there's no 'is this person on the good drugs?' reaction. I mean, seriously? Who is this bozo? I want to avoid him.

• Wink 1

image.png.7f728023b720e7f1d7c6addab8dcfb98.png

38 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I went with mind blown because there's no 'is this person on the good drugs?' reaction. I mean, seriously? Who is this bozo? I want to avoid him.

• Wink 1

Does the Republic have geologists? I would think how all these planets evolved would be fascinating. We never really saw a legitimate university. 

It's interesting they said 'stationed' on the witches' planet. I didn't get that from the last episode. It seemed to me they were just there.

I like how the Jedi all just tramped into the forest with no backpacks, water, first aid. 

22 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

I didn't expect Mai to want to turn herself in or Kelnacca dying so quickly.

I didn't either, but I think we should have. The show has been moving plot point quickly.

8 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

There may be some additional reason given, but it may have been to show Mae she can't get off the hook so easily. Her not killing these people doesn't mean they won't be killed.

I don't know what Mae was thinking with turning herself in, but I get the reasoning provided here. However, she murdered two Jedi in cold blood, so other than pleading guilty and throwing herself on the mercy of the court, I don't get what outcome she's going for. And the Jedi aren't going to be merciful. Mae isn't protected by a jury of her peers. 

I do like the point of killing the Jedi Wookie after Mae renged. The Jedi aren't going to believe "she walked in to turn herself in and he was dead already". It's not like the Jedi are showing presumption of innocence. They could assume she took his sabre and killed him with it. 

So we might actually get some sort of Star Wars Fugitive after all. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, baldryanr said:

One of the Jedi in the meeting was Ki-Adi Mundi (seen in the prequels stating that the Sith haven't been seen in a millenium and ultimately getting blasted during Order 66).  I wonder if he's in there solely to get a subset of fans all riled up about how much this breaks canon.

Between this and moaning about his birth year, it’s been a banner day for Ki Adi Mundi esotericists.  If nothing else, hopefully this show is exposing “lore/canon experts” as the bottom feeders of fandom that they truly are….

4 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I think we’re getting all these wacky Mae/Osha theories because so far in the show, they might as well be the same person.  Particularly now with Mae’s rather abrupt change of heart on her revenge pact, there doesn’t seem to be much difference between them.  Which is odd, because I definitely got “evil twin” energy from young Mae in the flashback episode- I guess she became well adjusted during her years of isolation and murder training.  And with Osha, it feels like she’s just been tagging along on this mission so far- I would’ve expected her to be more invested in figuring things out.  In any case, hopefully whatever they have planned for the back half of the season will make sense of this plot choice.

Otherwise, I like the show overall.  Yord and Jecki are my favorites so far- but I am mostly just  enjoying watching High Republic Jedi do their thing.  I am interested in seeing how the mystery plays out- but I feel like they need to start cashing in the plot coupons starting next episode,

• Like 2
10 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

However, she murdered two Jedi in cold blood, so other than pleading guilty and throwing herself on the mercy of the court,

Her plan was to rat out Mystery Sith to the best of her knowledge... locations, encryption etc...

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, paigow said:

Her plan was to rat out Mystery Sith to the best of her knowledge... locations, encryption etc...

One flaw in her plan was announcing it. If I ever need to defect for whatever reason, I'll just up and do it. No telling people that I'm about to stab them in the back. Not sure how well that would have worked on screen, but that's the peril of the format.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Anduin said:

One flaw in her plan was announcing it. If I ever need to defect for whatever reason, I'll just up and do it. No telling people that I'm about to stab them in the back. Not sure how well that would have worked on screen, but that's the peril of the format.

I think that's the issue, that the audience needed to hear her thought process, so she had to talk to someone. There would have been no way of knowing that she'd changed her mind if she hadn't said something to someone, and there would have been no point in her telling some random person who wasn't involved, so it amounted to her telling someone who either was secretly the Sith or was likely to rat her out to the Sith. She did set him up in a trap that should have delayed him doing anything, unless he was secretly the Sith and the trap wouldn't have held him for long, but I don't think she was supposed to suspect him the way the audience does.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I think that's the issue, that the audience needed to hear her thought process, so she had to talk to someone. There would have been no way of knowing that she'd changed her mind if she hadn't said something to someone, and there would have been no point in her telling some random person who wasn't involved, so it amounted to her telling someone who either was secretly the Sith or was likely to rat her out to the Sith.

She could have told Wookie Jedi.  "I've been sent here to kill you" blah blah blah dramatic build up "But!  Not gonna do that!"  Still cheesy and poses some other logic problems but (maybe?) less convoluted than where we are now.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, Anduin said:

8 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I think that's the issue, that the audience needed to hear her thought process, so she had to talk to someone. There would have been no way of knowing that she'd changed her mind if she hadn't said something to someone, and there would have been no point in her telling some random person who wasn't involved, so it amounted to her telling someone who either was secretly the Sith or was likely to rat her out to the Sith. She did set him up in a trap that should have delayed him doing anything, unless he was secretly the Sith and the trap wouldn't have held him for long, but I don't think she was supposed to suspect him the way the audience does.

I have an idea that could have fixed this problem. Both Mae and Osha are force sensitive to some degree. I am not a Star Wars lore/cannon expert. I would have found/created some way for Mae to out through the force and explain herself to Osha. 

Mystery Sith mind melded with Osha and decided she had more value alive. Maybe something that makes her a better acolyte than Mae.

• Like 1

I really want to enjoy this show, but it's just not hitting that nerve for me. This episode was bizarre. There were at least two scenes of people just walking in woods, where literally nothing happens and nothing is established. And I don't mean that the show thought something was happening and I didn't get it. I mean scene opens, Mae and Qimir are walking in a forest...no words exchanged...and scene closes. They do not establish, for example, how close or far they are from each other, and it's almost certain that the intent here was to make it feel like a bit of a race to Kelnacca. Instead it's just random woods. Thought for a minute there we were going to get a scene with the bugs waking up, but clearly that's coming next week. So this week, it's walking walking walking, a completely surprise turn by Mae (several have pointed this out, the audience gets no hint of this, she just straight says "My sister changes everything" without letting us grow into that) and then the Sith reveal. Cheap move. 

Doesn't help that these Jedi are some of the least charismatic characters in the entire series. I never imagined I'd be saying this, but I need a real long break from the Force and the Jedi in general. The latest content hasn't done them any favors.  

Acolyte: you have been demoted to non-Friday night viewing. 

• Like 3
(edited)

Mae had to tell Manny Jacinto, tv-wise, because we're being tipped off that he's the master (speculation not spoiler). iirc, she tells him what's going on, and then she wants to rest, he traipses off to 'find water'. Then she finds Jedi Wookie dead and the master shows up. 

It's a 'fair cheat'. They established these two have a close enough relationship with one another that she'd confide in him. We also don't have the benefit of an inner monologue. He's evasive about how he's serving the master and seems to know the remote world and exact location where Jedi Wookie is hiding. Has just enough time to sneak off to 'get water' and then all of a sudden the Wookie Jedi is killed clearly from a sabre. When they do the reveal, viewers naturally would want everything to add up, looking back. 

As to why all of a sudden Mae changes her mind, I agree that was abrupt. Knowing Osha is still alive clearly was a factor, but it did happen fast. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 3
On 6/21/2024 at 3:20 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

He's evasive about how he's serving the master and seems to know the remote world and exact location where Jedi Wookie is hiding. Has just enough time to sneak off to 'get water' and then all of a sudden the Wookie Jedi is killed clearly from a sabre.

They need Jedi Masters Briscoe & Logan to reconstruct the timeline of getting water, killing Kelnacca easily, staging the crime scene and getting caught in the snare.

• LOL 1
On 6/21/2024 at 9:03 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

Doesn't help that these Jedi are some of the least charismatic characters in the entire series.

The Dark Side is the Fun Side...

On 6/21/2024 at 6:03 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

I really want to enjoy this show, but it's just not hitting that nerve for me. This episode was bizarre. There were at least two scenes of people just walking in woods, where literally nothing happens and nothing is established. And I don't mean that the show thought something was happening and I didn't get it. I mean scene opens, Mae and Qimir are walking in a forest...no words exchanged...and scene closes. They do not establish, for example, how close or far they are from each other, and it's almost certain that the intent here was to make it feel like a bit of a race to Kelnacca. Instead it's just random woods. Thought for a minute there we were going to get a scene with the bugs waking up, but clearly that's coming next week. So this week, it's walking walking walking, a completely surprise turn by Mae (several have pointed this out, the audience gets no hint of this, she just straight says "My sister changes everything" without letting us grow into that) and then the Sith reveal. Cheap move. 

Doesn't help that these Jedi are some of the least charismatic characters in the entire series. I never imagined I'd be saying this, but I need a real long break from the Force and the Jedi in general. The latest content hasn't done them any favors.  

Acolyte: you have been demoted to non-Friday night viewing. 

I agree with everything you said! I cannot figure out why I find this so boring. And I felt the same about Ahsoka. Something about it feels so generic even though it's "Star Wars". The characters are not interesting and the only one I find interesting is the Sith guy that shows up every episode for 3 seconds. Is it Jason Mendoza? Will I care before it's revealed? Not sure.

Perhaps someone can tell me why I love Mandalorian but find this so snooze worthy? Both introduced unknown characters and stories in a time that hadn't been explored previously. Is it that just too many of these shows are all looking and sounding the same and now I'm bored? 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I agree with everything you said! I cannot figure out why I find this so boring. And I felt the same about Ahsoka. Something about it feels so generic even though it's "Star Wars". The characters are not interesting and the only one I find interesting is the Sith guy that shows up every episode for 3 seconds. Is it Jason Mendoza? Will I care before it's revealed? Not sure.

I can promise you I won't care at all if it's Jason Mendoza, because who the hell else could it be and have it make sense by now. It's a weird position they've painted themselves into: I'll be disappointed by the lack of imagination of the revelation if it is him, and I'll be disappointed by a revelation that it isn't him because the show has laid no real breadcrumbs in another direction. For shit's sake they even have him stumble over "I, I mean we, made a deal!" this week. WE GET IT.

God, the mediocrity of Ahsoka was gutting for me. I loved the character, I thought her arc in the last four episodes of Clone Wars was pinnacle Disney+ Star Wars.

Spoiler

From the incredible duel with Maul to her figuring out she'd have to set him free, then knowing all of her regiment would have to die, the wordless escape with Rex, that shit was classic Star Wars for me. I

f it were one of the movies, I'd rank it fourth. But her show...they made her boring, lifeless, and her motivations strange. That show was basically embodied in Marok: interesting on the surface, but basically a cool looking suit full of nothing. Or at least, not enough. 

As far as why you (and I) loved the Mandalorian but are underwhelmed by this, I don't think it has a lot to do with introducing new characters in a new time frame, etc. I think part of it is a Jedi problem: in force, they're a wholly unimpressive organization. A single jedi, a 'last remaining jedi', it works, but a group of stoic characters running around and spouting platitudes is fucking boring. One lightsaber is cool...ten lightsabers just doesn't work for me. And honestly, I just don't think this show is well scripted. Mando might not be a masterclass, but it's got real 'movie' lines. "I can bring you in warm...or I can bring you in cold." That's it, Mando has me. This show? The most memorable line in four episodes is "POWER OF MANNNNNNNYYYYYYYYY" which...no thanks. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Uncle JUICE said:

I can promise you I won't care at all if it's Jason Mendoza, because who the hell else could it be and have it make sense by now. It's a weird position they've painted themselves into: I'll be disappointed by the lack of imagination of the revelation if it is him, and I'll be disappointed by a revelation that it isn't him because the show has laid no real breadcrumbs in another direction. For shit's sake they even have him stumble over "I, I mean we, made a deal!" this week. WE GET IT.

God, the mediocrity of Ahsoka was gutting for me. I loved the character, I thought her arc in the last four episodes of Clone Wars was pinnacle Disney+ Star Wars.

Hide contents

From the incredible duel with Maul to her figuring out she'd have to set him free, then knowing all of her regiment would have to die, the wordless escape with Rex, that shit was classic Star Wars for me. I

f it were one of the movies, I'd rank it fourth. But her show...they made her boring, lifeless, and her motivations strange. That show was basically embodied in Marok: interesting on the surface, but basically a cool looking suit full of nothing. Or at least, not enough. 

As far as why you (and I) loved the Mandalorian but are underwhelmed by this, I don't think it has a lot to do with introducing new characters in a new time frame, etc. I think part of it is a Jedi problem: in force, they're a wholly unimpressive organization. A single jedi, a 'last remaining jedi', it works, but a group of stoic characters running around and spouting platitudes is fucking boring. One lightsaber is cool...ten lightsabers just doesn't work for me. And honestly, I just don't think this show is well scripted. Mando might not be a masterclass, but it's got real 'movie' lines. "I can bring you in warm...or I can bring you in cold." That's it, Mando has me. This show? The most memorable line in four episodes is "POWER OF MANNNNNNNYYYYYYYYY" which...no thanks. 

Clone Wars is in the same class as Mandalorian and Andor for me. Peak Star Wars TV. I saw no similarity between Rosario Dawson's version and the awesome animated version. I never watched rebels so maybe that is my problem, but I am so glad I'm not the only one who hated Ahsoka. Mae and Osha just seem like more of the same. Being that she is a murderer and not just a traitor, I would rank Mae as the same prototype as Sabine, just slightly more evil, and Osha is just as boring as Ahsoka. And maybe that's my problem. It feels a little like the same show. 

I agree about the Jedis - as I said before, the more they show them the worse they come off. I am juusssst about ready to root for the nameless sith guy....

I'm enjoying the show because the plot is moving along nicely without the usual tv manufactured drama moments. Creating twins out of the force was not necessarily new, but I like that it seems this is something that's been attempted. 

My criticism is that we're lacking any worldbuilding of this High Republic Era. I don't expect to see Coruscant to markedly different, but this could easily be just a sidequest set in TPM era. 

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

My criticism is that we're lacking any worldbuilding of this High Republic Era. I don't expect to see Coruscant to markedly different, but this could easily be just a sidequest set in TPM era. 

I think that's fairly consistent throughout the saga, though. There doesn't seem to be much change in this society over time. I guess there was the shiny, reflective ships in the prequels vs. the ships in the original trilogy, but nothing really changes in the 70 or so year span from the beginning of the prequel trilogy to the end of the sequel trilogy. People are wearing more or less the same clothes, the technology is the same, the ships don't seem all that different. There doesn't seem to be anything new, no new inventions that weren't there before. It's like their society was rapidly accelerated to where it is, and then it stuck there for centuries.

But I would like a bit more worldbuilding, along the lines of what Andor gave us, where we saw how people lived at different levels of society and got glimpses of their culture.

• Like 1

I don't think the technology would accelerate much either, once you get to a hyperdrive, for example. Being constantly at a galaxy spanning war isn't going to lend to too much technological innovation without supply lines beyond keeping the ships and lasers running. 

We're before all that though by a 100 years though. Being set in the High Republic Era was a billing for the show promotions, and there isn't anything noticeable at all. What makes it "High Republic". Are they less racist? Different economics or strata? 

I'm talking only an extra scene or two. Being on streaming, we're not limited to 35 minutes for the episode. We watched 5 to 7 minutes of walking through the forest. No one made any small talk about anything? 

23 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Perhaps someone can tell me why I love Mandalorian but find this so snooze worthy? Both introduced unknown characters and stories in a time that hadn't been explored previously. Is it that just too many of these shows are all looking and sounding the same and now I'm bored? 

If your tastes are more decidedly old school like mine (and this is purely a matter of taste/opinion and not about objectively better or worse), the first two seasons of The Mandalorian were case of the week. Fun action adventure stuff happened and there was something resolved at the end of the episode and also a season long arc to give the overall story narrative momentum. Also, Grogu is adorable. 

This show wants to be or is trying to be some deep dark meditation on something. It just isn't working for me. 

• Like 1
On 6/25/2024 at 4:38 PM, Ilovepie said:

I agree about the Jedis - as I said before, the more they show them the worse they come off. I am juusssst about ready to root for the nameless sith guy....

The whole saga has a really weird thing going on with the Jedi, where they keep showing them as fairly incompetent, oblivious, arrogant, and doing some shady things, but they keep telling us how awesome they are, and I'm not always certain this disconnect is on purpose. It goes back to the prequels (so you can't blame it all on Disney), where the Jedi were utterly oblivious to the fact that Palpatine was a Sith, even though he was right there among them, pulling the strings the whole time, and their policy about no attachments was part of what ended up isolating Anakin to the point he was easily corrupted (if he'd been able to talk to someone about his fears about Padme or if his mother had been around, he wouldn't have been so easily manipulated). But they don't ever seem to dig into the flaws. Maybe that'll happen on this show, where the Jedi seem to have done something truly wrong and that's being covered up.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

The whole saga has a really weird thing going on with the Jedi, where they keep showing them as fairly incompetent, oblivious, arrogant, and doing some shady things, but they keep telling us how awesome they are, and I'm not always certain this disconnect is on purpose. It goes back to the prequels (so you can't blame it all on Disney), where the Jedi were utterly oblivious to the fact that Palpatine was a Sith, even though he was right there among them, pulling the strings the whole time, and their policy about no attachments was part of what ended up isolating Anakin to the point he was easily corrupted (if he'd been able to talk to someone about his fears about Padme or if his mother had been around, he wouldn't have been so easily manipulated). But they don't ever seem to dig into the flaws. Maybe that'll happen on this show, where the Jedi seem to have done something truly wrong and that's being covered up.

I agree that Jedi are not portrayed that well and competent(in old lore I think Palpatine had ability to hide his presence in Force so that was reason why Jedi didn't sense that he was Force user) but I disagree about Anakin. Anakin knew what were the rules and if he wanted to be with Padme, he could leave Order(as Ahsoka, Dooku, Osha, etc). And Jedi are not exactly againts attachments but you should know that death is part of life so you shouldn't go to killing spree when your friend/family member die.