Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Revenge / Justice

• Start Topic

I'm glad they didn't mess about with the 'falsely accused' plot. That's one I don't like. The 'how did Mae survive and turn evil?' I'm not sure about, but it's better than the 'clear my name' nonsense.

So Osha and Jecki. "Oh, your job is so dangerous." "I'm flexible." Anyone else perceive a certain something between them?

But damn, the Jedi really like to come in heavy handed. Maybe that's what the police do IRL, but there seems to be no room for talking to someone over a cup of coffee. I mean, what if Sol had brought a bag of Mae's favourite nuts or something? While the Jedi are clearly better than the Sith, there's a lot of room for improvement. I've been saying for probably decades at this point, they needed a serious wake-up call. Not almost wiped out, but some kind of shakeup. But we know from the future that it takes until after the OT to consider doing things a different way.

• Like 5

Manny Jacinto!  Was not expecting him to crash the party as this Qimir, a very un-Jason Mendoza like character who knows his way around poisons and other nefarious criminal activities.  Safe to say that this guy might end up in The Bad Place if he's part of whatever master/faction Mae is working for!

Well, it looks like this show won't be so Fugitive-ish after-all, as the Jedis already know that Osha is innocent since Mae tried to take out another Jedi while Osha was still in their custody.  Helpful!  But it looks like Mae is trying to take out the four Jedi that were stationed on her planet whenever her and Osha's family died.  And Sol was one of them as well.  But it also sounds like Mae was under the assumption Osha was dead?  I'm guessing that this mysterious master of her has been misleading her this entire time and while she's after them for some kind of revenge, he probably wants them off the board for his own nefarious reasons.

Still think Yord might end up being a problem since his character always seems to be the one pushing back on whatever plan there is.  Hope we get more of Jecki soon, because she has potential to be a standout.

Interesting that despite all of the Jedis, this show has been less about lightsaber battles and more about hand-to-hand combat.  I wonder if this is their way make it feel different?  Or save any actual lightsaber battles for special occasions and not feel like they're using them as crutches?

Jedi Wookie!!!

Not a mind-blowing start or anything, but it works well enough to keep watching.  Although, really, you'd really have to be a disaster for me to not watch a Star Wars prodcut.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Interesting that despite all of the Jedis, this show has been less about lightsaber battles and more about hand-to-hand combat.  I wonder if this is their way make it feel different?  Or save any actual lightsaber battles for special occasions and not feel like they're using them as crutches?

Good point. Make us want the sabres. Maybe episode six, a Star Wars equivalent of the Ecstasy of Gold starts playing. Then it'll be blades aplenty!

Osha choked on her aspiration for revenge... not even willing to STUN Mae... but then the series would be over

• Like 1

Not a bad start. I am intrigued. What really happened on Osha and Mae’s planet? If it was as simple as Mae going bad why would the Jedi kill himself seeking absolution? Is Mae’s master a Sith and if so who is it?

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Kmr said:

Is Mae’s master a Sith and if so who is it?

My feeling is another flavour of darksider. Not a sith, something else. Unless we're getting into serious retcon territory.

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yore may be hot, but he’s kind of full of himself.

I was surprised how fast we got the first shot of him without shirt robes. Yet, the best scene of both episodes was still Jecki deflating his preposterous scheme by applying Occam's Razor to tactics.

• Like 3

So based on this episode I am getting a vibe of "the CIA did something dirty back in the day and wants to keep it covered up" with the Jedi as the CIA.

I also loved the two mall cop Jedi that clearly don't like it when the Feds come to town. What were they expecting? They don't even know how to interrogate a kid! There have been some good examples so far of the Jedi being lazy, dumb and full of themselves.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yore may be hot, but he’s kind of full of himself.

Based on these two episodes I'm thinking "Yord" should be an idiom for somebody who's full of themselves. Don't be such a Yord!

Manny Jacinto! Yay! I don't think I've seen him in anything since The Good Place ended.

Is anyone else using a Roku device and having problems with ads in Disney+ ? It looks like if they don't have a 2nd ad cued up the box freezes, throws an error message about a black screen then drops out of the show. Then I have to restart the episode from the episodes list. It's really annoying.

I don't like Mae. She's kind of a Yord. So is Sabine in Ahsoka.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

I think I'm going to like this. I like Osha and think the actress is doing a good job with the dual role. It feels like Star Wars, while also being different from what we've seen before (though that society seems pretty static if you can move around by a hundred years without seeing a big difference in tech and culture). Managing to defend against attack without breaking out of meditation may be the most Jedi thing ever.

But was it just me, or was the sound weirdly muted? I was watching on the same setup I recently rewatched Andor on -- so same streaming service, streaming device, TV, speakers, in the same room -- and I had to crank the sound up significantly to be able to understand the dialogue. I noticed that the sound was also muted when they showed clips on one of those breakdown videos. The contrast between the narration on the video and the clips from other things and the clips from this episode was pretty drastic. It sounded so muffled.

• Like 1

I think it's a smart move on the show to clue us in on the evil twin plot. The premise would have been stretched too thin if they were playing coy and making it a big reveal later on would fall flat. This episode has better pace as a result. 

I also liked that the Council wasn't digging their heels in - "It's the twin. Go figure it out".

I'm not clear on why Mae has the same hair as Osha. Does she think people are going to think Osha is behind the murders and it thrown them all off the scent? Otherwise, I'd think I would want to be as plain as possible. I guess her hair is a little longer, but twice people have identified Ohsha as Mae. 

Yord would have been great in the Clone Wars. Just walking in anywhere and busting out the sabre. 

Where was all this awesome kung fu in the prequels?! Are we supposed to assume that the High Republic meant the Jedi had skills that were lost by the time of Qui-Gon? Kenobi would have mopped the floor with Maul even harder with some sick moves. 

I like that the Hutts are just always around too. 

On 6/5/2024 at 2:01 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Interesting that despite all of the Jedis, this show has been less about lightsaber battles and more about hand-to-hand combat. 

I'm wondering if this was the norm for the High Republic Jedi. Mae also doesn't have a sabre. Maybe it's standard for them not to draw. She was going on about how they don't pick fights, so it could be something like that too. 

I don't know how long the Sith have been dormant, the knowledge about how t to make one could be lost to them currently too. You're only getting that if a Jedi turns to the dark side, if that's the case.

I'm saying "sith" as a placeholder for Big Bad. Just because he's got the red sabre doesn't mean actual sith. He's powerful enough though to mask his identity though. 

I'm also wondering if Mae didn't start the fire either. I don't think Sol is lying about it, but he may not have had the whole picture. 

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm not clear on why Mae has the same hair as Osha. Does she think people are going to think Osha is behind the murders and it thrown them all off the scent? Otherwise, I'd think I would want to be as plain as possible. I guess her hair is a little longer, but twice people have identified Ohsha as Mae.

Neither Obi-Wan or Yoda changed their clothes in twenty years. Even death couldn't force them to update their looks. It's only been ten years for Osha and Mae, don't hold your breath. :)

• LOL 3
(edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 1:01 AM, thuganomics85 said:

On this show most of the Jedi look like the other guy cops from procedurals who the "real police", to use the term from The Wire, need to work around. In the previous episode while Mae was pulling her  murder/duel she made the comment after Carrie Ann Moss pulled her saber that Jedi didn't do that unless they were about to kill which seemed to pause the Jedi.  So like a cop who can only draw his pistol in very specific conditions, or even have to hold on waiting for back up with less lethal weapons and call for armed police experts in some jurisdictions

Edited by Raja

12 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm also wondering if Mae didn't start the fire either. 

Too bad the character names are un-rhymable...

• Like 1

"I thought he was with you" is the most genuine laugh out loud moment this franchise has given me in a long time.

I am pretty sure Osha got to the murder scene first because those mall cop ass Jedi were making the visiting Jedi do paperwork for visitor passes to the local temple. Just as bureaucracy hampered the Empire in Andor, it also hampers the Jedi here who seem to love getting caught up in procedure and nitpicking each other on proper protocol.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Anduin said:

Neither Obi-Wan or Yoda changed their clothes in twenty years. Even death couldn't force them to update their looks. It's only been ten years for Osha and Mae, don't hold your breath. :)

This is the High Republic. I was thinking there were different cultural norms. I was also thinking, if I'm an assassin of *Jedi*, I'd like to be plain as possible to elude notice, unless I'm trying to pin it on someone else. We learned here Mae didn't think Osha was alive. So that doesn't apply. Wearing a mask I can get, but the hair is certainly distinctive to the point that two different people identified Osha as Mae.  

Kenobi and Yoda don't need to change clothes because when people see them, they want them to know they're Jedi. In fact, when Kenobi went undercover, not only did he change his clothes, he literally changed his face. And still beat Anakin blaster to sabre. 

Osha left the Order and became a mechanic. I don't think it's incumbent on her to change her look.

6 hours ago, Raja said:

In the previous episode while Mae was pulling her  murder/dual she made the comment after Carrie Ann Moss pulled her saber that Jedi didn't do that unless they were about to kill which seemed to pause the Jedi. 

A cop can draw if they're under fire too though. Jedi Trinity was getting knives thrown at her and used the sabre to deflect them. I don't think she intended to kill Mae and shouldn't have shut it off. Mae seems to be trying to exploit letter of the law/spirit of the law. "Oh you drew your sabre so that means you're going to kill me". "No, you're throwing knives at me."

I don't think Sol needed to draw because he was investigating Mae's fighting style. 

• Like 2
On 6/5/2024 at 12:55 AM, Anduin said:

I'm glad they didn't mess about with the 'falsely accused' plot.

Me too, although Clone Wars Era Ahsoka could sure attest that the Jedi sure don't learn from their mistakes. You would think force users at this level could tell when someone is telling the truth. I guess this shows that the Jedi Council has been for centuries a bunch of bureaucratic ninnies who convict people on the flimsiest proof....

• Like 4

Good lord this is really stupid. Are they trying to say the Jedi's arrogance = stupidity or are they just really bad at plotting a good storyline that doesn't depend on people being massively stupid?

This was only slightly less boring than episode 1, the bright spot was Manny Jacinto.

The Wookie suit didn't look great but, Yay for no CGI. On the other hand, Wookie don't live on the Jungle Floor but, I guess this is cause Master Wookie Jedi is an outsider/hiding on this planet. 

• Like 1

Why did 1970s Jesus Jedi give up so easily? Mae was like, “I bet you want some of this here poison,” and 1970s J-J was like, “Yep, I sure do.” No questions, no final statements, no nothing?!

On 6/6/2024 at 11:12 PM, Anduin said:

Neither Obi-Wan or Yoda changed their clothes in twenty years.

Baby Gap closed its Coruscant Galleria location

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, Nacos for Rufus said:

Why did 1970s Jesus Jedi give up so easily? Mae was like, “I bet you want some of this here poison,” and 1970s J-J was like, “Yep, I sure do.” No questions, no final statements, no nothing?!

Mae's pal said, 'everyone has a weakness'. She couldn't beat him hand to hand. 

My take was that whatever the Jedi did back then left him with a lot of guilt that he took that 'Jedi monk vow' and just retreated within himself. Seeing Mae again and offering a way to end it all, he took it. 

Maybe Jedi can't kill themselves or they won't be one with the Force. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 8:42 PM, Nacos for Rufus said:

Why did 1970s Jesus Jedi give up so easily?

Huh. I got more of a young Count Olaf vibe from Torbin...

olaf_torbin.thumb.jpg.dc561fef72bd7ff719424423446fa908.jpg

Edited by tkc
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I'm pleasantly surprised that they dropped the whole fugitive plot quickly and revealed the twin twist to everyone so soon, I am not usually a big fan of those kinds of plots, trying to figure out what's going on with Mae is a lot more interesting. So far the show isn't amazing or anything, I would have preferred a show set further into the Star War's universes past where things really were different, but I am interested enough to keep going. 

Manny Jacinto! I was not expecting to see him here, let alone in a part like this, but I'm thrilled to see him! 

The Jedi do have good intentions and I can respect their underlining philosophy, but I can also see why things fell apart for them, even without Palpatines manipulations. They're so stuck in their own ways, coming into every situation like "we're right because we're the ones saying it" even among their own when they don't know the full story like with Osha, their whole "no emotions only calmness" ends up causing more problems than it solves, and they are way too obsessed with rules. 

Wookie Jedi!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 5
On 6/13/2024 at 11:54 AM, tennisgurl said:

The Jedi do have good intentions and I can respect their underlining philosophy, but I can also see why things fell apart for them, even without Palpatines manipulations. They're so stuck in their own ways, coming into every situation like "we're right because we're the ones saying it" even among their own when they don't know the full story like with Osha, their whole "no emotions only calmness" ends up causing more problems than it solves, and they are way too obsessed with rules. 

THIS. OMG THIS.

On 6/13/2024 at 11:54 AM, tennisgurl said:

Wookie Jedi!

But also this.