Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Puppies & Kittens

Okay, I'll put my hand up.  I watched it.  I'm a bit embarrassed for that guy who used to be in Southland and for Harold Perrineau, who had least got the script to kill him off at the end of the pilot episode.  He's the reason I tuned in so I wasn't overly pleased by his quick departure.  I followed him from Oz to The Unusuals to Lost so the least he could do is hang around so I can explain to myself why I'm tuning in for the next episode too.

It was so bad there really are no words but there is a kernel of a decent storyline there.  The prisoner/antidote is a cool idea.  The character execution isn't great and the actor is annoying, the body make-up was unconvincing and I wanted to kick him in the teeth at the end of the episode, but it is a cool idea.  As was the visual of the water-logged zombies suddenly getting up and going on the attack.  The Rosita character, all short shorts and tank top, is as ridiculous as The Walking Dead original but at least another character commented on it.  I liked the market.  It was another decent idea, showing how commerce continues while civilization dies.  The father and the two young adults from that scene might be the only characters I can stand for now, although the sniper looked kind of interesting too in that I'm curious about why he was on the roof.  Was he one of the military people they went there to meet?

I don't know if the show will last but my overall impression was: it needs a lot of work.

• Love 4

I kind of liked it and i agree the highlight was the attack of the bloated zombies.  But I worry that it is neither the very grim Walking Dead nor is it a comedy like Zombieland.  If I were making the choice I would have gone full on  comedy since the Walking Dead is too high a bar to aspire to.  It would give the show it's own identity without inviting head on comparison. 

One thing I did like was that the people are using the term ZOMBIE.  Walking Dead seems to take place in an alternate universe where Night of the Living Dead was never made.  (Maybe George R Romero's parents never met)  So the one thing they could theoretically do is play up the angle that they DO know the movies and that they use that in thier fights with the zombies and make funny references to them.   That would make it a little different in tone from TWD.   

Over at the Defiance thread it was commented that the character of Tommy was living on borrowed time (and subsequently did succomb) because he was a black man on a sci fi show.   When the guy from Lost got killed I could NOT believe they went there in the very first episode.  I now have no doubt whatsoever that if they ever have a lesbian couple on the show one of the lesbians will die.  NO DOUBT.  And that is a sad thing for the 21st century.

Edited by MDKNIGHT
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed it. I think many things like the traveling store and the comment about time post apocalypse were more realistic than TWD but then it was also very cheesy too. I knew when the zombie baby happened I was all ALL IN.

Icing on the cake was when Zombie Apocalypse version of Edward Scissorhands jumped in the truck. Yah!

It was entertaining and that's what I watch TV for, I don't care if it is semi-campy.

• Love 5

Oh, Tom Everett Scott, you're still gorgeous but what happened to you that landed you here?

I knew when the zombie baby happened I was all ALL IN.

That was hilariously awesome!  Somewhere, Chucky is all, "That's just cheesy."
  Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3

Loved it! I am all in. Zombie baby was cool, but I wish main dude had not died. I have enjoyed his work since Lost (Walllllt!!) I am also a huge fan of Dj Qualls, so I love his part in this world.

Did I miss something with the baby?  One minute he is crying the next minute he is zombified.  What happened?

I thought maybe when that happened it was because the virus was airborne or something, but it turned on a dime for no apparent reason.

Notice how no one takes precautions about getting zombie blood and guts on them, especially since they haven't really defined how the virus is passed on.  Since the baby wasn't bitten, it can't just be from bites.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

WALT - yes!  I was wondering where I'd seen that actor before.  

Yeah, it's a shame they killed off the ONE BLACK GUY.  Even TWD has a Blacklander.  

Notice how no one takes precautions about getting zombie blood and guts on them, especially since they haven't really defined how the virus is passed on.  Since the baby wasn't bitten, it can't just be from bites.

They shot the woman who was sick.  Apparently you automatically turn upon death unless the brain is destroyed, and a bite hastens the process.  Don't know what was up with that baby since it was healthy one second and then a zombie Usain Bolt the next.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 2

I thought maybe when that happened it was because the virus was airborne or something, but it turned on a dime for no apparent reason.

Notice how no one takes precautions about getting zombie blood and guts on them, especially since they haven't really defined how the virus is passed on.  Since the baby wasn't bitten, it can't just be from bites.

Maybe the baby (in spite of its   healthy appearance) was starved or dehydrated enough to just die at that moment.  Or one of the zombies could've bitten it, and they just didn't show us that part. 

I'm with you on the complete lack of concern about being spattered with zombie fluids.  At the very least, I'd wear a scarf around my neck I could pull up over my mouth and nose quickly if need be.  Even if you can't get infected that way, no one wants zombie gore in their mouth.

• Love 1

I think they made some kind of comment about the baby having been alone for 2 days.....which means it hadn't eaten or drank anything for 2 days.  I assumed it expired from that, since even after the rescue, nobody seemed concerned with getting the child even a bottle of water.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this and even recommended it to my sister.  Like others, I just want to be entertained and this had some ideas that were original (and I loved the baby turning into a Zombie).  I wasn't so clear as to why the military guy went in the building.  The baby died, cut their losses and leave.  He was my favorite character so I was very sorry to watch his demise.  I'll be back.

I thought HP was the star of the show, I was surprised when he died! Anyway, it isn't the best show ever, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

I went on IMDB and it looks like he's got other irons in the fire, so I wonder why he took this role?

Over at the Defiance thread it was commented that the character of Tommy was living on borrowed time (and subsequently did succomb) because he was a black man on a sci fi show.   When the guy from Lost got killed I could NOT believe they went there in the very first episode.  I now have no doubt whatsoever that if they ever have a lesbian couple on the show one of the lesbians will die.  NO DOUBT.  And that is a sad thing for the 21st century.

Being color blind is what liberals have wanted, but they can never seem to follow their own advice.  

Blacks and other minorities are not always killed in TV and movies.  It's just when they are, libs notice it and comment like it is proof of some big conspiracy

Evidently, you want a quota.  You want political correctness in TV and movies.  Now that is sad.

Edited by Jordan27
  • Love 3

I went on IMDB and it looks like he's got other irons in the fire, so I wonder why he took this role?

They could probably only get him for this one episode because he was already contracted to film other things, the upcoming series "Constantine" for one.  He's a busy actor, so I don't think there's any conspiracy here.

I watched the fist episode on Netflix and I liked it more than I thought I would. I don't expect much with this genre, just for things to be moving along and seeing people trying to survive. My one problem with this episode was that I didn't understand what the deal with the baby was. Maybe they will explain later how exactly the virus gets transmitted, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. I'm also trying to understand the zombies, who not only run but... do they think a little? Were they playing dead on the water? That was confusing also.

Through the episode I got the feeling that someone was going to die by the end, but I thought it was gonna be the National Guard Dude. Should've known better.

• Love 1

They never did explain how that baby turned into a zombie.  Did it get bitten during the fight when no one was looking or maybe bitten before they found it? 

I think you'll enjoy the series.  There were a couple of dud episodes, but overall pretty good without being overly grim, mostly due to Doc's sense of humour.

• Love 1

They never did explain how that baby turned into a zombie.  Did it get bitten during the fight when no one was looking or maybe bitten before they found it?

I had seen a commercial with a zombie baby, so from the moment they found him I was paying close attention to him to see how he turned. I figured he was the baby from the commercial because it wasn't practical for them to carry a baby around, so I figure he would be toast by the end of the episode. What I'm going for is that no zombie got close enough to him to bite him, nor did he have any signs of a bite when they found him (his clothes seemed clean, etc). So, either he got zombie blood in his mouth when National Guard Dude was killing zombies around him, or he died naturally (NGD did mention how weak he was) and just turned because everyone turns, a la Walking Dead. When NGD and Zombie Cure Dude told the others that the baby turned I was expecting someone to ask what happened and get an explanation then... but nope. It was weird.

• Love 1

I think that baby turned because the writers couldn't resist the impulse to have a cool ninja-like zombie baby show up.  I watched that scene over several times on slow-mo just to freeze the frame on it.  That infant was awesome as a zombie.

• Love 3

I caught this one, but can't imagine I'll be back for many more. I get the "Zombies act inconsistently" but (given they seem to be implying a biological cause) how exactly did the zombie virus enable the baby to suddenly gain ninja like skills? And why exactly did Harold Perrineau (didn't cach the guy's name - and now I don't have to!) have to go in and kill the Zombaby anyway? If they were trying to eliminate ALL zombies in a given area (as a form of public health service) then the reward might make sense despite the insane risk, but otherwise... WTF?

On the other hand. I do like "the walking cure" because it's good to see some hope in a zombie world (and I love the fact that the "Saviour" is apparently a complete jerk) though it was kind of weird that the "voice over the radio" insisted on using military obfuscation ("Do you have the package?") when he wasn't a grizzled veteran but apparently an army DJ so why not talk like a normal person? Eh, it's not like I'm interested enough to find out next week.

I ended up watching several hours of the marathon  yesterday for some reason. It benefited from a binge watch - this is a better show than I remember it being. It's fun, and although they are cartoonish, the characters are better drawn than many who appear on so call prestige television.

• Love 3

I ended up watching several hours of the marathon  yesterday for some reason. It benefited from a binge watch - this is a better show than I remember it being. It's fun, and although they are cartoonish, the characters are better drawn than many who appear on so call prestige television.

I watched some also and I agree, it is better than I remember, even down to the camera work. Also, I may be subconsciously comparing it to Fear the Walking Dead and so far I'm a little disappointed in that.

I'm looking forward to Z Nation season 2 but they have really pared down the original cast, I miss Garret.:(

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 1

We missed this the first time around so dvr'd the marathon and started watching it yesterday.  We got through the first five episodes and are enjoying it immensely.  It's cheesy fun with some likeable characters, some humor, some scares, some tension.  Our take was that zombie baby just died because he'd been on his own too long. Not sure how he ended up being able to run and hide, but also didn't really care.  It was cool, and zombies don't make a lot of sense anyway.  We thought it was a very creepy touch to have the zombies apparently able at times to think.  We saw it twice - the first time when the zombie knocked on the door at the lab and had the sense to stand with the deformed side of his face away from the peep hole.  Second time was the zombies lying in wait in the water.  I also thought it was interesting how they explained in a throwaway line that zombies move fast when they first turn but get slower the longer they're turned.  Great way to explain why some were running while others lumbered.  One question we have though - did they ever explain why they call them "puppies and kittens?"

• Love 2

We got through the first five episodes and are enjoying it immensely. It's cheesy fun with some likeable characters, some humor, some scares, some tension. Our take was that zombie baby just died because he'd been on his own too long. Not sure how he ended up being able to run and hide, but also didn't really care. It was cool, and zombies don't make a lot of sense anyway.

Did they ever explain why they call them "puppies and kittens?"

That's exactly the right attitude to enjoy this show! I don't know about the name—I just assumed it was a sly reference to The Walking Dead, which never uses "the z word." Or playful banter among comrades in a life-or-death situation?

• Love 2

I binge watched S1 on Netflix this past weekend. I went in knowing nothing except what I heard from someone who said it was campy fun. I was bummed they killed off Harold Perrineau so early. I thought he would be the big-name star of the show. Clearly, Z Nation isn't afraid to kill off would-be main characters. 

That zombie baby was ridiculous but surprisingly scary. I thought zombie blood & guts got in his mouth while Harold Perrineau fought the Z's in the room, and that's how he turned. 

Second time was the zombies lying in wait in the water.  I also thought it was interesting how they explained in a throwaway line that zombies move fast when they first turn but get slower the longer they're turned.  Great way to explain why some were running while others lumbered.  

The zombies playing possum in the water was terrifying. I was like "WTF?!", that's a totally unfair advantage I've never seen before. I didn't catch the explanation as to why some zombies were faster than others. So, thanks for mentioning it. I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why The Walking Dead zombies were able to run and climb a fence in S1 but not in any subsequent seasons. 

• Love 2

One question we have though - did they ever explain why they call them "puppies and kittens?"

I re-watched the first season of The Walking Dead a few days ago and in the second episode, right before the characters have to do something really gross, the lead character says, "Think about something else - puppies and kittens."  So it was definitely a nod to TWD.

• Love 4

I re-watched the first season of The Walking Dead a few days ago and in the second episode, right before the characters have to do something really gross, the lead character says, "Think about something else - puppies and kittens."  So it was definitely a nod to TWD.

Omg, I too was rewatching season one, and said, "OMG, PUPPIES & KITTENS!"  lol  Makes me love Z Nation even more.  It feels more connected to TWD than stupid Fear The Walking Dead does.

• Love 2