Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Driven

WendyCR72

New Mythology. It's not clear what that will be so it's unfair to say much one way or another given there's very little to go on. Although I agree with one reviewer as of now it seems underwhelming. However, I do worry about what they're going to bring up in the future which may change my outlook on Richard Castle - for the worse - I hope the story is interesting and feels natural and not contrived but I'm not that confident given past experiences.

they make a big deal about Castle being missing for two months, but the admitted date on his hospital wristband is 10/02/2014. So ... they were getting married in August? Wasn't the date on their wedding program 5/11/2014? So ... he's been missing more than 2 months. (Or rather, the production team missed some details.)

People have mentioned soap opera amnesia, this is just a case of soap opera timelines.

If Castle didn't remember anything between the accident and the hospital, why didn't he question Kate's haircut?

The idea that such a man would willingly put Beckett let alone his family through such distress didn't add up and it shouldn't have done to them either no matter what so called "evidence" they had.

Someone (Ryan maybe) should have pointed out that if Castle really left, he didn't just leave Beckett he left Martha/Alexis. 

These are people who have lived through this insanity and they insult the audience by acting like we should even consider Castle knowingly leaving everyone?

I don't think they expect the audience to believe that he left, they expect the audience to be speculating all sorts of crazy stuff about 3XK, Bracken, etc.    They also want us to worry about Kate trusting Castle, but I think she seemed kind of desperate for a theory to believe in that wasn't Castle leaving.  Maybe next week they'll have Castle start having crazy theories about his own case.  That would be interesting, if done well.

• Love 3
Robert Hanning @RobHanning  ·  2 hrs 2 hours ago

I'm just gonna say right now Stana deserves an Emmy for this episode. In fact they should just go on and rename the award the Stana. #truth

No she doesn't, don't get me wrong she was pretty much the best thing in that episode but I wish the crew would stop saying this kind of thing, it encourages the crazy. No actor on this show is ever getting an Emmy. #truth

Edited by verdana
  • Love 5
No she doesn't, don't get me wrong she was pretty much the best thing in that episode but I wish the crew would stop saying this kind of thing, it encourages the crazy. No actor on this show is ever getting an Emmy. #truth

But at the same time, it's nice to see the cast and crew support each other. #truth

People have mentioned soap opera amnesia, this is just a case of soap opera timelines.

If Castle didn't remember anything between the accident and the hospital, why didn't he question Kate's haircut?

Fair.

His wristband also says he's a 44 year old male. If his birthday is April 1st, 1969, shouldn't he be 45? Except wasn't his murder-mystery surprise party his 40th birthday? Or his 41st?

I like looking at the details to see what they missed. ;)

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2

But at the same time, it's nice to see the cast and crew support each other. #truth

I agree. It's getting incredibly old that Nathan compliments literally every actor, crew member and piece of gravel in the episode except Stana, whose existence he ignores. And she even directly tweeted him a couple times tonight.

• Love 3

May be it was because Castle disconnected behaviour but I didn't really enjoy the end scene when he's comforting her, it felt too much like he could have been doing the same comforting routine with Alexis or any close friend, I wanted a little more intimacy and to see a deeper understanding and connection there. Like the rest of the episode it felt kind of weird. I wasn't expecting them to be all over each other given the circumstances obviously but it lacked...something.  

• Love 4

Yes it is a good thing to support your fellow co-workers but they don't need to say these things, why can't they just praise her performance and leave it at that. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

May be it was because Castle disconnected behaviour but I didn't really enjoy the end scene when he's comforting her, it felt too much like he could have been doing the same comforting routine with Alexis or any close friend, I wanted a little more intimacy and to see a deeper understanding and connection there. Like the rest of the episode it felt kind of weird. I wasn't expecting them to be all over each other given the circumstances obviously but it lacked...something.

But they're in a weird place. He doesn't know what happened, she doesn't know what happened, but she wants to trust him even though every bit of evidence is telling her that she shouldn't be, and he can't even help because he can't come up with a story to even begin to explain things. At first I thought the end was fulfilling, but the more I think about it it's just bittersweet. There are these two people and they want to make it like it was before, but they can't. They have to figure out how to start over, how to get back to where they were. And I know they will, I don't doubt that, and it looks to be sooner than later. At least if they're going to go the route of having them be apart (if you could call this being apart), this makes more sense to me than throwing in false doubt or a fake affair or something.

I don't follow the Twitter stuff- does Nathan really ignore Stana? If so, that's really upsetting, considering how friendly they came off in old interviews.

I sort of gave up on Twitter, but I don't know if I'd call it ignoring. Or if it is, it was a mutual ignoring. They don't tweet jokes or dialogue or whatever back and forth. When they do interact, it's usually just a mention. And Nathan gets most of the flak (mostly because I think he comes off as more flippant on Twitter) than Stana, because people perceive it as her putting in more effort and him ignoring her (just like he does everything about Castle). But mostly I think it's being dramatic because people like to make it out that Nathan hates Castle and everything associated with it.

At least, that's my opinion of the whole thing.

Yes it is a good thing to support your fellow co-workers but they don't need to say these things, why can't they just praise her performance and leave it at that.

I guess I don't understand why it has to be a big deal and why the fandom can't just let comments like that be praise, even if everyone knows Castle is unlikely to ever get critical acclaim.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 3

I don't follow the Twitter stuff- does Nathan really ignore Stana? If so, that's really upsetting, considering how friendly they came off in old interviews.

Yeah, he goes out of his way to act like she doesn't exist while at the same time specifically complimenting every single other fellow main actor on the show. At this point it has to be intentional. And it makes him seem like a real ass hole. He doesn't have to like her, but show some class.

Stana tonight:

@Stana_Katic: Kbex fighting 4 her luv. You guys rock! Thanks 4 joining us 4another season & kudos 2the cast for bringing it @NathanFillion

@Stana_Katic: . @Jon_Huertas @seamusdever @btwprod @MollyQuinn93 @MayaStojan @NathanFillion & Susan

Way to go! #CastleSeason7 premiere!!

Edited by FlickerToAFlame
  • Love 3

Someone (Ryan maybe) should have pointed out that if Castle really left, he didn't just leave Beckett he left Martha/Alexis.

I wish they had because that's something that seems obvious to me you would point out. He adores Alexis, she's his world and the idea he would clear off for two months and put her through hell does not wash given the man's established character. He may be fickle with some things but he's not when it comes to his daughter and protecting his family.

• Love 1

I actually thought Stana was doing a great job playing the tension and uncertainty in that last scene, but would have liked if Rick went for a tentative, comforting kiss and then she could have sighed and given in a little- like she did when she finally hugged him, but with a kiss added. I, for one should have melted a little. ;-) ( other than that I really didn't enjoy this ep- for the reasons you have all articulated so well.)

• Love 2

I was going to say that Nathan's tweets run to jokes and silly pictures while Stana's are more high-minded, then:

Stana tonight:

@Stana_Katic: Kbex fighting 4 her luv. You guys rock! Thanks 4 joining us 4another season & kudos 2the cast for bringing it @NathanFillion

@Stana_Katic: . @Jon_Huertas @seamusdever @btwprod @MollyQuinn93 @MayaStojan @NathanFillion & Susan

I think Ms. Katic has been kidnapped and replaced by a 16yo .

At least I have Firefly on DVD. I can watch Out of Gas and see some people acting like real human beings.

• Love 1

I would have liked to have seen some of Kate doing he things she described to Castle in the final scene....like trying to kill the janitor for moving Rick's chair. Once again, show me, don't tell me. This is one of those character things that would have added more for me than a few extra minutes of chasing through a junkyard. I know it's Bowman directing, but he actually did a great job on some of the more touching moments in X-files. I think he directed the beautiful scene (in a pretty silly episode) when Scully first enters Mulder's hospital room after he was dead. I thought that storyline was ridiculous, but that scene killed me.

• Love 1

I think some are bothered by the "Give Stana the Emmy!" bit because it's just so OTT. But maybe I see it as such because a) I have zero investment and b) I know it just repeats itself every season.

If Castle hasn't gotten awards 7 seasons in, give it up, already. Just my take.

What a fascinating artistic experiment to film the rough draft and the dress rehearsal. I'll be really excited to see the final product. Anyone know when the season premiere is?

<whispers>

I'm being told this is the season premiere. Huh. Well. So... On the positive side, the actors all knew their lines and the camera was in focus.

And to borrow something from the old OLTL forum over on TWOP: Why is Tory?

Edited by bittersweetlily
  • Love 4

I actually thought Stana was doing a great job playing the tension and uncertainty in that last scene, but would have liked if Rick went for a tentative, comforting kiss and then she could have sighed and given in a little- like she did when she finally hugged him, but with a kiss added. I, for one should have melted a little. ;-) ( other than that I really didn't enjoy this ep- for the reasons you have all articulated so well.)

Stana did fine but Nathan..once again I found he's the problem area unfortunately when it comes to scenes like this and its a shame. I would dearly love to know what goes on when they're filming these kind of scenes, how much instruction the actors get, how many takes etc. Do they play it different ways? It's the little things that make all the difference and they keep missing their mark with me. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I'd agree the case went on a bit too long. I kept wondering when Castle would make an appearance - not in a surveillance video or as an unconscious victim. I think that says something about the Castle/Beckett connection though - the show is truly better when they're doing things together.

The show only works for me when they're together solving cases, otherwise I'm completely lost.  And they weren't together properly in this for most of the episode and when they were there was this sense of awkwardness and suspicion suffocating them. I want to see a sparky Castle and a happy, confident Beckett once again please writers.

• Love 2

Overall it wasn't as bad as I expected. Still it wasn't anything to write home about. Just some observations and questions.

1. They would never put out a burning car with water. They always use foam. Beckett should have been covered in foam not water.

2. I thought they made a big deal about the Esposito look alike taking all the 3XK files and evidence. Even the electronic ones. Where the hell did Beckett get the file from? Maybe it was hid in her elephants.

3. When did Esposito learn about Castle's dad?

4. This is a world where look a likes are surgically made. Not one of them brought that up. I guess that would have been to far fetched.

It felt like their normal contrived reset to delay them getting together. No better or worse than the others.

• Love 2

God, I really don't know what to make of this episode. I've been ruminating on it for over an hour and I just feel...uneasy. And sad. And kind of hollow.

So many above have brought up great points about the ep, more cogent than I am right now. It was all just so muted, somehow. It felt like everyone was going through the motions: Badass!Beckett with her totally inappropriate handling of a suspect (somehow this works on old SVU, when Meloni/Stabler roughs up pedophiles because he's thinking of his kids or they threaten Liv. Here it feels over the top, like Beckett/Stana can't portray anger/fear/frustration without doing physicial harm to the guy in the box, who incidentally asked for counsel. TPTB should be able to trust the acting/writing without relying on cheap TV cop violence. I didn't need Beckett to violate that guy to convey her passion). Doubting!Espo with that very strange and, in some ways, telling moment where he bought her coffee and repeatedly called her Kate. If the conspiracy theories are true and Jon/Espo is playing at some prior history with Beckett, that came through loud and clear here. Espo puts Castle on blast, the first to doubt, and the first to step in with the very personal and romantic gesture of coffee. What's his motivation? And I ask this because most actors (and good directors) know the answer to this question. It felt very deliberate and I'm certain Bowman was in on that interaction. Is he doubting RC to protect Kate? Are his own unrealized/sublimanated desires at the fore? My feeling is yes - and maybe that's an interesting choice from a dramatic point of view - but not one that I necessarily want to be explored, especially given the current set of circumstances.

Ryan and Espo felt very plot driven and not character driven in this outing. They take opposing sides because that's what's called for in the storytelling. It felt very one dimensional.

Should we even comment on how Beckett is able to take over a case in NYC that should firmly stay in the Hamptons jurisdiction?

As others have mentioned, I found NF's acting (or Bowman's directing choice) after being found to be so...underwhelming. I mean, Castle is back! He's alive, for god's sake, after two months (and I thought the two month time jump to be kind of clunky. Maybe more should have been made of SK's shorter hair - as a marker for the changes she went through in those two months. And I wanted to see her a little more like she was in Rise - physically different, gaunt or more outwardly broken. Instead she looked exactly the same as she did when she put on her Badass!Beckett kit). Maybe he was directed to be sort of mysterious, I'm not sure. When he was telling Beckett that he didn't remember I flat out didn't believe him and thought that would play into the new mythology. I didn't want him to lie to her, obviously, but I thought it was a Bones type scenario where he had to lie to her to keep her and his family safe. The way it played out it seemed like he was just on a runaway groom bender and couldn't remember because he had too many shots of Petron with the guy in the RV.

Why wasn't he more invested about his disappearance? It's like he could barely be bothered to figure out what had happened to him. We've seen him more passionate about fucking Big Foot. He was taken from his family for two months! And maybe he was so blasé because Martha and Alexis treated it like he was away at a book signing instead of possibly shot and left in a dingy for days. Well, he's back! Let's just pop some bottles and push the whole thing under the rug!

And maybe it was just me, but I felt like the Tropical Storm reference was shoehorned in. Attention: product placement! It was such a weak connection and yet you know it will come back around as Hack finds the right time to launch his back door pilot. And given what we saw tonight it was barely even set up. In fact, the whole damn thing was so vague you could probably pin the tail on whatever in the fuck mythology MilMarMann come up with. Because what we saw tonight wasn't on par with Beckett's mom's killer. It barely made any damn sense at all. What string are we supposed to pull? Vinnie from the Hamptons (who I barely recognized from his last appearance)? 3KBrackenHunt? Mystery totally undeveloped character actor in the RV with zero connection to anything in the episode? It wouldn't have been difficult to make him more sinister or interesting. Maybe he has a draft of Tropical Storm. Or some identification of DS. Or a brief call on a disposable cell. Something.

But the most troubling was Zombie!Castle. The champagne drinking automaton that "loves everybody" and has zero intellectual curiousity about where the fuck he was for two months. Could it be that he knows exactly where he was and what he was doing? Maybe. And in some ways I hope he does know, because at least that would make it interesting from a narrative standpoint. But I don't have much faith in that scenario.

I felt so sad in that ending scene in the bedroom. Was it because Stana was so present and Nathan wasn't? Was it because they can't pick up where they left off? Or because I felt like so little had actually happened in the episode that their distance rang as false as everything else? Or was it the trailer for the next episode as MilMarMann does their usual crackerjack job of narrative and emotional continuity?

They asked for patience in this episode. They told us we would have the bright light shining on the title character. And while I love Stana and Beckett, it's her the Marlowe Disciples feel worthy of an Emmy (that will never happen). And I agree that it's nice most of the cast and crew are excited to acknowledge her work in this episode. But perhaps saddest of all is her co-star who seems to have convenient amnesia when it comes to mentioning the woman who is half of the most important relationship on his show.

• Love 2

That was a weird episode. Stana's new hair looks great. More copish than model ready pretty curls. Hey Gypsy from Gilmore Girls, you were more convincing as a dying cancer patient on Parenthood than a doctor in this ep. I did loled at fake Jenkins saying Castle looked late 30s too. Well the pic they used for him did but it's not really what he looks like now.

Yeah, it didn't help that I watch the scene of Espo not answering Castle's call on Need To Know before switching over to The Voice. Dude you have no business being his best man. You are always doubting Castle.  At least Ryan seems to genuinely like him and usually gives him the benefit of doubt. They really keep playing on Espo is in Beckett's corner and if she's hurt he lashes out. It's really getting old now.

That whole Tropical Storm research looks like the new mythology and I wouldn't be surprised if it leads to the Derrick Storm spin off. Everything about it was really WTF?

The inclusion of the FBI felt kind of pointless, like they had to pad the episode out with something.

Yeah, they really didn't add anything and I rather had more sceentime of Beckett with Martha and Alexis or a scene with Jim. I know Stana was rt a fan that wanted more Beckett/Lanie girl talk. What girl talk? They barely talked to each other in this ep.

Kate still has her apartment, what the hell for?

Yeah who knows at this point. It just seems to be a place to put the new mythology on her window shutters.

The tone of the episode. And I don't mean "oh gosh, find Castle". I mean the color timing. It was weirdly dark, but in a different way than usual. I'm glad that next week looks to be not so ... odd looking.

Yeah it was super dark and so grayish blue. It was like I was watching Cold Case or some other dark procedure.

Beckett's reaction to the coffee, because that's Castle's thing. It's like she was hoping he come back and then there's this coffee being presented to her and then ... Esposito.

Yeah that was well played scene.

I think the most entertaining part was the east coast live tweeting of Molly's Dad and Nathan's What? Then we are getting Jon's defending Espo's actions tweets during the west coast airing. There's also Seamus's video of the crushing the escalade stunt from like 50 ft away. I don't think this is the type of cast that would get together in one room and tweet an ep together like Shield and Scandal do. Even Trophy Wife and some of the Scandal cast got together to tweet a Trophy Wife ep last season at one of the actor's house.

Edited by turnitwayup

I was going to say that Nathan's tweets run to jokes and silly pictures while Stana's are more high-minded, then:

Stana tonight:

I think Ms. Katic has been kidnapped and replaced by a 16yo .

At least I have Firefly on DVD. I can watch Out of Gas and see some people acting like real human beings.

I don't think Ms. Katic is the 16 year old in this scenario. She's doing her best to promote her show and her co-workers in an upbeat fashion. I think Mr. Fillion could learn a thing or two about class from her example.

• Love 2

who gives a crap whether actors like each other.  Sometimes the people who hate each other have the best chemistry. I work with people every day that I can't stand.  But you are professional at work and you get through it. I'm going to go with they get along just fine.

I didn't watch all of last season after loving the show for so many years.  I didn't start disliking it -- I just had other things to watch on Mondays and kinda forgot about it.  I watched the finale on On Demand and loved it.  And so I tuned back in tonight.  Looking forward to seeing what they come up with. It's a good mystery.  I actually liked the last scene because it was a sense from Castle that he was deeply concerned and not just posititve that they would figure it all out.

Thanks for posting the tweets but really, who could read those all night.  She does sound like a cheerleader.  And that's fine if that's her style.  I guess he doesn't play along like he's supposed to.  

Edited by angelita100

To be fair, I really don't think it's about whether they like each other or not. It's mostly about professionalism. Those people I don't like at work? I try to rise above and acknowledge their good efforts because it's good for my business and the morale of my staff. It elevates the spirits of those I work with and find that paying it forward is just a good policy all around.

I thought the whole Tropical Storm conversation was some sort of clue planting that would end up being connected to the Dengue fever antibody in his blood. They made a point of pointing out that it was a "tropical" disease. Maybe he discovered something in his research, some big government tropical secret, that he doesn't even know he knows. Then, all of the past criminals of the show, his Dad, etc would all be red herrings.

I always hate the serious ones, so I'm never very objective on them, but I think I still disliked this even more than most of the other serious ones. The whole set-up is basically a lose-lose for me: I want them to go back to the jokey silly episodes ASAP, yet it will annoy the shit out of me if all the fallout that should logically flow from this ridiculous situation gets set aside until the mid season finale. They've set up a situation that demands a certain level of angst and awkwardness between the leads, and yet I have zero interest in watching that angst and awkwardness play out.  

• Love 3

That said, I kinda liked scruffy Castle in the boat and thought he looked really good in the jacket in the woods. Maybe I just missed NF on my screen.

Rewatched that campsite scene and the wardrobe on both of them looked good. I like Beckett's blue rain jacket and Castle was wearing a t-shirt instead of the typical button down under his thiner than usual jacket.

Why would Castle go to the Maldives or any other island for his honeymoon for 3 weeks if he has the irrational fear of tsunamis? Another wtf?

Edited by turnitwayup

They threw Beckett under a bus for the season finale and now it's time to do the same with Castle I guess. Somehow I hope he really is innocent since it's just too f*ed up to put your family and loved ones through something like that. On the other hand I think Castle has something to do with it. Maybe not the entire set up but he is not as clueless as he seems to be.

Either 3XK body snatched Castle or he knows what was going on. He was way to passive about missing 2 entire months, about putting mom, daughter and Beckett throug that emotional hell. I mean seriously I would have been furious at whoever did this. He should have been way more interested in finding out what happened. Maybe he even came up with the idea of having amnesia. Whatever he did or was involved with. Maybe he told that Jenkins guy to get rid of the memories so he can't give away details.

Sooooo is Beckett keeping that missing "murder" board in her apartment and away from Castle or does she show it to him at one point ? I'm a little sleep deprived and can't remember if she told him about the board or not. Are they gonna work on it together to figure out what happened or does she do it on her own with whatever bits and pieces show up over the episodes ?

Next week she wants to just trust Castle on what he is telling her - why don't I believe that ? I see a season 4.2 coming our way.

• Love 2

Sooooo is Beckett keeping that missing "murder" board in her apartment and away from Castle or does she show it to him at one point ? I'm a little sleep deprived and can't remember if she told him about the board or not. Are they gonna work on it together to figure out what happened or does she do it on her own with whatever bits and pieces show up over the episodes ?

I don't think she specified which one. I did notice a pic of Castle on her desk. I hope they do work on it together like they did offscreen for Vulcan/Bracken cause a a rehash of s4 would suck.

I'm almost ashamed to admit I actually liked the episode. I expected the worst after the season finale, but this was a nice surprise.

The first half felt hectic and kind of rushed which I think kept me from feeling for Kate (that coffee scene did nothing for me and I think, viewers were supposed to be heartbroken when she almost started crying at the Precinct, but it left me cold), but I was really proud of Ryan for believing so strongly in Castle, even when his partner didn't. As far as Espo is concerned, I think he's a hot-headed guy who doesn't really think but immediately jumps to action. It's no excuse of course, but I think, deep down, he didn't really believe Castle would do this to his daughter and Kate. I also thought the second half of the episode was very strong. I think it hasn't sunk in yet with Castle, which is why he seemed pretty unfazed; Kate had been without answers/clues for two months by that time so it was easy for her to be desperate and angry. I think it will sicker in with Castle soon enough - I actually thought it started during that last scene, which is why it worked for me. 

All in all, it wasn't my favorite episode but I think it could have been a lot worse. I liked the continuity with Vinnie The Scar and I think Tropical Storm was a big hint which doesn't make any sense yet, and what I've seen from the Promo for 7x02, they aren't done yet with the emotional repercussion and I'm kind of excited to see what struggles it will bring. And I'm intrigued to know what happened to Castle.

Castle's sun burn was a really nice touch; for some reason I really loved that, lol. 

• Love 1

I thought it was awful. I loved the first seasons of this show, but it has just gotten worse and worse over the last few years. I truly hope they end it this season.

The good-

Nathan looked great! The bit of tan and scruff suited him, and I thought he looked trim, despite the ENORMOUS jacket and ENORMOUS robe he was wearing.

Stana's hair was great. She had so much natural charm in the beginning of the series, and the last few years she has been so glammed up, over the top.

Umm...that's the end of the good for me.

The bad-

Castle is missing for two months and then he's all, well, no worries, we'll figure this out?!!  I'd put his level of caring what happened to him at about 10%. He seemed curious, but there was no anger that his life was stolen for two months, that his relationship was damaged, does he even know he was exposed to Dengue fever? I know the mystery will continue to be solved this season but what about this episode, emotionally, would drive me to tune in to watch?  His reaction (and everyone else's) would have made more sense if he had been missing for 24 hours-not two months.

Lack of emotional connection between Castle and Beckett. How about...Beckett would like to believe in Castle, and is drawn to him, but there's a part of her that still doesn't know what is happening?  Instead, Boom-he's back, she confronts him, and it's all well and good in the last fifteen minutes of the show.

Lack of physical connection. Dude is in his hospital bed, and she can't even touch him, because her trust has been destroyed. For 15 minutes. Yawn. Why did they bother?  And then, after trust is restored, their "reunion"' on the bed in their bathrobes-ugh! Sheesh, why even bother?  I guess they wanted to get across that they are now awkward around each other? That scene was a total ladyboner killer-I suppose a writer or producer could defend it in terms of story, but again-what about that would prompt me to tune in next week? Castle kisses her on the head and looks bleak. Beckett's face is buried in Castles's chest so she is basically invisible. Yuck. Even if it wasn't sexy, I think they could have gone for sweetly reassuring and still connected.

Lack of fun. This show used to be fun. And funny! Now it's trapped in a boring place-they are not good enough to write a credible mystery, yet they've abandoned the light humor that made the show great.  That said, I wonder if they are now trying to be campy funny, but still failing? Amnesia is a trope that is just guffaw-inducing. How can they not know that?

I really like Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic-but I have to say, that was TERRIBLE.

• Love 4

Not impressed with the quality of the storyline.   The artistry of certain scenes, sure : Kate drenched in water, the dinghy, Kate/Espo and the coffee.

But the storyline?  What, did high school students write this script?   Star-crossed lovers, anyone?

Besides no Jim Beckett, where was Castle's father?  He found Alexis, pretty sure he could find and rescue Castle. He's not going to sit on the sidelines and not pop up during a 2 month Castle disappearance. 

Castle and Kate have less and less chemistry.  She can't carry an entire episode by herself, but they sure tried.  More of Castle's family was needed here.  Alexis should have been falling apart at the end of two months, instead of looking healthy and happy.  Lani barely appeared, and she was the maid of honor. 

The only thing that rang true was Castle's family being at the hospital before Kate.

• Love 2
I know Stana was rt a fan that wanted more Beckett/Lanie girl talk. What girl talk? They barely talked to each other in this ep.

Based on the CTV promo, that will happen next week.

I hope they do work on it together like they did offscreen for Vulcan/Bracken cause a a rehash of s4 would suc

I don't think that we will get a rehash of season 4.  I didn't take that "we can't just pick up where we left off" as some kind of breakup, just an ackowledgement that things are a little different than they were 2 months ago and they'll need to adjust. 

Castle says he feels like he slept in his bed last night.  I get what they were going for, but this was the day after he woke up in the hospital, so it shouldn't have felt like "last night."  And the night before the wedding he and Kate were upstate dealing with the Rogan crap.

Tropical Storm.....I know there's been a lot of speculation about this being significant, but I thought it was just a throwaway line.  To give Castle a  way to explain why he wouldn't have pitched a tent there.  (And really, who is afraid of tsunamis in the northern Atlantic ocean?).  I can see being afraid of them off on some tropical island, but in New York?

• Love 2
Tropical Storm.....I know there's been a lot of speculation about this being significant, but I thought it was just a throwaway line.  To give Castle a  way to explain why he wouldn't have pitched a tent there.  (And really, who is afraid of tsunamis in the northern Atlantic ocean?).  I can see being afraid of them off on some tropical island, but in New York?

This one cracked me up. Wasn't there some vacation trip planed to Bora Bora for his birthday in season 5 but then he broke his knee ? So much for being afraid of Tsunamis.

Edited by cappuccino

I was trying to hold off judgement from everything I read/heard/knew until I saw it as one piece, but, yeah...

Bottom line for me is the couple I know, up to this point in the show's history, shouldn't have to go through a storyline like this. It’s. Just. Dumb. Dumb, contradictory in more ways than I can count AND completely unnecessary. Add on top of this my skepticism that this new arc can be executed in a good, smart and believable way (it's not off to a fantastic start IMO), and I fear we have a long season ahead. :-/ 

• Love 1

I thought it was an interesting episode, minus the first few minutes (overly dramatic). But I reserve full judgment until I’ve seen the first three episodes, further clues about this new mythology in episode 2 and how they manage going back to normal in episode 3 (if that is what they do).

As far as plot holes, other inconsistencies or typical characters traits go, I found it on par with other darker drama episodes on Castle. Nothing new that could have shocked or further annoy me. It’s what they do or can’t help or whatever. Apparently they don’t follow my rules of good storytelling, which I don’t do either, because I don’t write :-)

I especially liked two scenes: The one with Castle and Beckett at his alleged camping-site, she still in doubt and him arguing. That scene felt somehow real because it lacked the typical Caskett dialogue/ situation categories which I find many times to be artificial. The other one was at the end of the episode and nicely avoided any over the top fairytale dialogue. Although I asked myself, is it normal to wear robes that often and be fully clothed underneath?

On the other hand I think Castle has something to do with it. Maybe not the entire set up but he is not as clueless as he seems to be.

I do think that as well. It’s not only his nonchalant demeanour (unless he’s putting up a front and break down later), but also his explanations or non-explanations seem off – even for a guy like Castle. And did I detect a furtive glance from Castle when Esposito brought up the video, the last evidence that couldn’t be conveniently explained away? (or did Fillion have something in the eye :-)

I think Stana did a good job with playing various emotions during the episode, especially the mix between lingering doubt and wanting to believe. And I believe that is a normal reaction to the situation as represented. I would have found it annoying if they went down the route of Beckett insisting: No, he is the love of my life. He wouldn't do anything like that...

• Love 1

The episode was a mess. Especially with a show that has dealt with serial killers who can convince plastic surgeons to make people look like police officers to the T. Then have them carry away over 10 boxes of evidence boxes and no one at the check out counter goes: "Should you really be taking all of that out?" Or how about former KGB sleeper agents trying to start World War III because they can because "hey, the USSR fell, never was my country. Blow up the planet!" Not to mention, US senators having damning evidence of murder and conspiracy but the FBI is: "Well, they are doing it for a reason." Plus, there was so much doubt something major happened to Castle from being found in the boat, the burns, the bullet holes. The guy impersonating the other guy, which really through it out of wack. I get the DMV being hacked to replace the picture but they would have also had record: "He was at his house yesterday, he paid with his debit cards at the store. How can he be in two places at once? 

Of course, no Castle ran out, took out over 30K in cash and just dropped it off to a mobster. That doesn't make sense does it? I get they are going to build the mystery but I bet in the end it will be combo of the Senator and 3XK teaming up because he would have had the resources and 3XK is of course Lex Luthor super type. They probably went: "Hey, want to team-up and ruin their lives in more ways and one and no one will think other wise?"

There better be an arc that makes sense with this storyline, because this episode was lame. It was like they decided to have a cliffhanger at the end of last season and didn't know how to get out of it for the premiere. I mean, amnesia? That's like so 80's.

The arc will be that he steps out of the shower and tells Beckett that he had the weirdest dream, then asks her if she's all ready for the wedding.

One thing I was wondering - was he actually in the tent? His stuff was, so the DNA could have transferred from the stuff to the tent itself.  Were his fingerprints actually on the tent or just the stuff?  Since the first Jenkins they talked to was a fake, he could have been lying about seeing Castle there.  I got the feeling Castle was never there camping - it just looks like he was.

• Love 2

There for a second, when Rick woke up and Kate told him it had been 2 months, and you see his face fall, I thought - there's the old Nathan.  But then it was back to blah disconnected acting.  Whoever said "Pod Person" above was right on.  Where was Rick's anger?  I'd be pissed if someone did that to me.  Where was any emotion from him?  I'm so disappointed in NF.  Now, I thought Stana did a bang up job.  She was great.  And I'm so happy her hair looks normal again.

I thought the whole thing was bad.  The fact that Rick showed no emotion hardly at all after waking up killed it for me.  I was putting up with the dumb story, watching Kate struggle and be upset, but when there was nothing from Castle and then champagne toasts and everything cool?  Nope, nope, nope.

• Love 2

One thing I was wondering - was he actually in the tent? His stuff was, so the DNA could have transferred from the stuff to the tent itself.  Were his fingerprints actually on the tent or just the stuff?  Since the first Jenkins they talked to was a fake, he could have been lying about seeing Castle there.  I got the feeling Castle was never there camping - it just looks like he was.

He might have even been kept in the tent (if they used drugs to keep him knocked out) then just transport the tent to the water.  I think because Jenkins was a fake that Castle was never camping at the sight.  

I am curious to know how he got the bullet wound.  For this to work he wasn't supposed to have anything like that so maybe Castle woke up and tried to escape and they were forced to take him down that way, then realized they had to wait for his wound to heal so it wouldn't be obvious to a doctor (remember the main doctors didn't catch it).  When the truth does come out, if the bad guys admitted they hadn't meant for Castle to stay away that long but had no choice because of the bullet wound, I'd appreciate it.  At least it makes them a little less omnipotent in their brilliant masterminded plan.

And I still think the ending was just too ridiculous.  Castle's life was kidnapped, framed and his reputation possibly ruined and those people are still out there?  What could they do next? Instead it was popping the cork and shrugging shoulders with an "all's well that ends well."  Huh?

Edited by Tripp

I also wondered if Castle was fake-sleeping in the hospital when Beckett visited the first time and if the amnesia is actually fake, but he cannot tell anyone what actually happened because of threats to Beckett and his family.  That would explain his weird behavior.

Why would Castle go to the Maldives or any other island for his honeymoon for 3 weeks if he has the irrational fear of tsunamis? Another wtf?

I have an irrational fear of flying. Rationally I know the chances of my plane crashing are so entirely slim, but I still hate takeoff and have this odd ritual where I just start counting because I've convinced myself if I can get to 500 or whatever then we won't crash (it's weird, I know. mostly it's just to keep my mind busy and not being focused on me hating takeoff). Because if we're going to crash, it's going to be on takeoff. Oddly landing doesn't bother me at all.

I still fly.

There for a second, when Rick woke up and Kate told him it had been 2 months, and you see his face fall, I thought - there's the old Nathan.  But then it was back to blah disconnected acting.  Whoever said "Pod Person" above was right on.  Where was Rick's anger?  I'd be pissed if someone did that to me.  Where was any emotion from him?.

If Castle really knows something about his kidnapping but can’t talk about it, his odd behaviour makes sense, at least to me. And it fits with the last scene of him apologizing to Beckett instead of freaking out over where he has been those two months.

But, can you explain why Beckett seems to think Castle OWES her an apology? Wouldn't your response to a S.O. be more like "you were shot, you've been traumatized, I'm worried about you. Why are you apologizing?" IF you find out you have been lied to THEN is the time to expect an apology.

This seems an awfully one way relationship.

Edited by pcta

Maybe more should have been made of SK's shorter hair - as a marker for the changes she went through in those two months.

Heh, in the past week or two, TV has already given me not one, but two Distraught! Self Hair Choppings.*  Kate could have made it a trifecta.

*See Haven and Nashville.

But, can you explain why Beckett seems to think Castle OWES her an apology? Wouldn't your response to a S.O. be more like "you were shot, you've been traumatized, I'm worried about you. Why are you apologizing?" IF you find out you have been lied to THEN is the time to expect an apology.

I don't think she seemed to think he owed her an apology at all.  The first time he said it, she said she didn't want an apology she wanted him to tell her what happened. The second time, she said it wasn't his fault.

I will not be happy if it turns out Castle knows who may have done this and isn't talking.

Maybe the thought of Beckett in a bikini (or less) was enough to get him over that fear.  

Edited by KaveDweller