Type keyword(s) to search

Georgie and Mandy’s First Marriage - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Georgie and Mandy raise their young family in Texas while navigating the challenges of adulthood, parenting and marriage.

First episode date: September 1, 2024 On CBS

Teaser

Edited by chitowngirl

I think it's a dumb title and ambiguous.  What do they mean by "first marriage" and will we be in the dark about that all through the series?  Does it mean they will someday have a second marriage to each other or to other people?  And how can we find out any of that from a show that's only about this original marriage, LOL?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think it's a dumb title and ambiguous. 

Hopefully it won't be like the show 'How I Met Your Mother,' i.e. years of who, what, when & where, just to have a horrible payoff at the end.  I'll give it a chance, but I don't have a lot of patience, so if it sucks, I'm out.  😜

• Like 2
(edited)

I saw an interview with the showrunners (not Lorre) which said they are not doing a time jump. I can't even imagine how that works, without Mary and Meemaw and Missy are also in it.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I saw an interview with the showrunners (not Lorre) which said they are not doing a time jump. I can't even imagine how that works, without Mary and Meemaw and Missy are also in it.

I read an article where the producers were interviewed and said that at least some of the former YS cast members would appear on a guest starring basis from time to time.  When the women that played Missy and Meemaw were interviewed they were probably not aware of that yet so I'm thinking it lead to misleading reporting that they weren't in the new show at all when it's just that they won't be actual cast members.  I posted a link to the article with that interview in a YS thread.  At any rate, I agree with you, I can't imagine how they wouldn't be on the new show at all but at least there's some indication that they might be, from time to time.

• Useful 2
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think it's a dumb title and ambiguous.  What do they mean by "first marriage" and will we be in the dark about that all through the series?  Does it mean they will someday have a second marriage to each other or to other people?  And how can we find out any of that from a show that's only about this original marriage, LOL?

So, more like:
“Schrödinger's First Marriage” 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I read an article where the producers were interviewed and said that at least some of the former YS cast members would appear on a guest starring basis from time to time. 

I'm wondering if those cast members will be willing to appear occasionally.  They might want to move on to other projects.  

I was wrong about Young Sheldon.  When I first heard about it I thought it was a terrible idea for a show - basing this of course on everything we'd heard about the Cooper family through the years on BBT - anyway I'm willing to at least give this show a chance.  But that said, wow.  I honestly will be surprised if it makes it through a full season.  It does not sound promising to me.

• Like 3

I don’t know if Georgie and Mandy are strong enough characters to lead a show.  The concept isn’t all that interesting either.  

The only thing that I find appealing is Will Sasso. 

• Like 3
On 5/28/2024 at 9:47 PM, possibilities said:

This kills the tiny amount of interest I had. Even if Mary, Missy and Connie were in it, I would only be interested in this show if there was a time jump of at least a couple of years. 

On 5/29/2024 at 2:10 AM, Yeah No said:

I read an article where the producers were interviewed and said that at least some of the former YS cast members would appear on a guest starring basis from time to time.  When the women that played Missy and Meemaw were interviewed they were probably not aware of that yet so I'm thinking it lead to misleading reporting that they weren't in the new show at all when it's just that they won't be actual cast members.

Or the producers are just saying that to not piss people off and string viewers along. I’m guessing they will be treated the same way they were on TBBT. Frequent mentions and, at most, one appearance a season. 

I could possibly see them adding Mary or Connie as a semi-regular if they need to boost interest but that would also require that the actresses are open to the idea. 

There was such a big deal made out of Georgie supporting the family after Sheldon left for college, if they aren't doing a time jump, it would mean all that support is done off-screen??

I guess we'll know when it airs, but it's really hard to picture it making any sense the way they've described it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I guess we'll know when it airs, but it's really hard to picture it making any sense the way they've described it.

I agree that it just seems odd.  I mean the last episodes of YS did show Georgie stepping up and being supportive but the way he described Life After George to Leonard in that episode of Big Bang definitely did not sound like "Georgie was the family rock for a week or two and he made it all better".  

Am guessing this is yet another thing that the powers that be are going to walk back in order to have another sitcom.

(edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 1:18 PM, Makai said:

I could possibly see them adding Mary or Connie as a semi-regular if they need to boost interest but that would also require that the actresses are open to the idea. 

I'd be surprised if we don't see Meemaw often, considering the amount of time spent with her on YS. At times it seemed the show was more like "Old Meemaw" than "Young Sheldon".

Edited by Tom Holmberg

I just watched the latest preview and the baby is still a baby and apparently George and Mandy live with her parents who are apparently regulars. I do not like this. But I save my biggest complaint for this:  What is wrong with that baby's head? Is she a conehead?  Was she born with part of her skull missing? Seriously, who puts a white cap on a baby's head the entire first year of their life twenty four hours a day?  She is never never seen without that stupid cap.  It's beyond ridiculous at this point. Take the damn cap off and let her scalp breathe for five minutes. You'd think they were living in Antarctica.

(edited)
14 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I just watched the latest preview and the baby is still a baby and apparently George and Mandy live with her parents who are apparently regulars. I do not like this. But I save my biggest complaint for this:  What is wrong with that baby's head? Is she a conehead?  Was she born with part of her skull missing? Seriously, who puts a white cap on a baby's head the entire first year of their life twenty four hours a day?  She is never never seen without that stupid cap.  It's beyond ridiculous at this point. Take the damn cap off and let her scalp breathe for five minutes. You'd think they were living in Antarctica.

It’s probably easier to switch out the baby actor’s that way… Even identical twins might have different hair shades or fullness.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Useful 2
On 9/21/2024 at 3:24 PM, chitowngirl said:

It’s probably easier to switch out the baby actor’s that way… Even identical twins might have different hair shades or fullness.

Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall reading that the Breaking Bad baby always wore a cap for the same reason. 

I have spent decades watching tv and babies didn't have caps and now they all do. I bugs me to the point that it's all I can see in their scenes. If they are really doing it to switch out babies then they will probably never stop. Sigh. It's like those bow people keep putting on girl babies' heads. They don't seem to ever go away.

Anyway, the show itself doesn't seem to have enough star presence to really ground it. Everyone on it is just a supporting actor, there's no one (that I believe) can really anchor the show. From the previews it just seems silly and fleeting.

His babies were fleeting scenes. Babies have always had the option of being with hats. It's the permahat that drives me nuts on babies that are staples of the show. Even sleeping, they are wearing a freaking hat. Even knowing why the production might do it does not help. It just bugs the hell outta me.

Haha, y'all would hate my grandson.  I went to visit when he was maybe 10-11 months old and he was wearing a little hoodie-type top with the hood up.  I remarked to my daughter that I was surprised he wasn't constantly trying to take it off.  She said she put it on earlier in the day as kind of a goof and he seemed to like it so they just left it up.  I guess he missed his chance to be a TV star!

• LOL 2
18 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Anyway, the show itself doesn't seem to have enough star presence to really ground it. Everyone on it is just a supporting actor, there's no one (that I believe) can really anchor the show. From the previews it just seems silly and fleeting.

I don't have high hopes for this show but in all honesty I had the same feeling about Young Sheldon back in the day and it ended up being a favourite show of mine (well except for a couple of plot lines that I loathed) so am willing to give it a chance.

• Like 3