Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Unconditional

• Start Topic

TUESDAY, MAY 14, 10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT

Dr. Claire Browne returns from her work in Guatemala for a personal medical examination. Elsewhere, Dr. Glassman struggles to manage Hannah, who remains unresponsive to his attempts to help. Park seeks out the perfect last-minute wedding location.

• Like 1

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh, no, couldn't we just end on the happy wedding celebration and leave it at that? Shaun, if ever you wanted to be a miracle worker, now is your time.

Um. Well, focusing on happier topics...that impromptu wedding was sweet and fun. I loved the duet, it was a kick to see everyone dancing, and Park and Morgan's vows were apprpriately them :D. I enjoyed it so much that I'm not even going to question how the hell everyone managed to get into their nicest outfits so fast, LOL. 

Also always great to see Claire show up. Just wish it was under happier circumstances - the poor woman cannot catch a break, my god. But I loved her talk with Shaun - I've always loved their scenes together and this was no exception. Her recalling the day she first met Shaun made me smile, too. 

And I was really enjoying seeing her and Jared reconnect as they did, too. Indeed, they've both really come a long way from those early days when they were just casually hooking up, and it was great to see them being so much more on the same page and in the same stable place in their lives. If they wind up together when the series ends, I'm good with that. 

(Poro Jordan, though, ouch.)

I also liked how Shaun helped Glassman sort things out with Hannah. Here I was worried that something would happen to Glassman when he left for his walk, but yeah, his comment to Hannah about being there for her as long as he was here...I knew that was foreshadowing something ominous. Ergh. 

When the guy who played guitar was playing it during his surgery, at times it sounded a bit to me like he was going to launch into Feist's "1234" :p:

So! Series finale next week - I am both intrigued and nervous to see how they'll wrap everything up. 

• Like 4

Oh Glassy, he's  terminal.  I'm so sad.

Claire is still strikingly  beautiful,  the chemistry between her and Jared is off the charts. No pun intended. I think Claire will be okay, scooped up by Jared and taken to hospital. 

The wedding  was lovely,  and those voices that sang with the band! Especially Jordan,  wow.

• Like 6
(edited)

I knew about Glassman because of the phone calls he got a couple of episodes ago ( thanks to this board).  Now Claire nooooo.

The wedding was very sweet.  I’m hoping for a miraculous episode next week.  Jared and Claire ( recovered) together.  Hannah recovered.  Glassman recovered. Lim and the   musician.  Jordan and Perez ( hope he gets more than a minute of screen time). That’s a lot for an hour. 

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Like 4

What the hell are they doing with this final season?

Honestly, at this point I am just expecting a Six Feet Under style ending and I will laugh my ass of if they actually do that.

However, I do have to give the show props for two things:
1. Showing young adult cancer in Claire! However, the only way she got the testing was because she is a doctor and knows doctors. If she were anyone else, noooope - she wouldn't be getting testing or another couple of years
2. I just enjoy the little stuff they have Kayla Cromer do. Her ripping up the flowers and tossing the petals in the air was just fun - they did something similar in Everything's Gonna Be Okay, and it reminded me of that much better show.

So next week we get to see how they wrap this show up in 42 minutes. Will it have an even worse finale than New Amsterdam? We shall see!

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

While nothing will ever top Game of Thrones when it comes to weddings going in a sudden, horrible direction, this show certainly is making them a hazardous situation in this universe as well.  At least this wasn't quite as bad as getting shot by a psycho stalker....

Great to see Claire again, even if she was back to get an operation because, of course, she has breast cancer because that's Claire's lot in life.  But Antonia Thomas shined as always and I'm glad she got at least one scene with most everyone that was important to her in the past like Lim, Shaun, and Reznick. 

And, then there was the reunion with Jared!  Kind of suspected that they might try and make them the endgame couple (assuming she survives) with their history and whatnot.  They did make sure to have at least one throwaway line and glance from Jordan that reminded everyone they were trying something at one point with her and Jared, but it kind of got dropped.  Wonder if that was something they would have explored if they had more episodes?  But since it's already been 

Spoiler

confirmed that Brandon Larracuente will be back, I'm guessing Jordan/Daniel Purez will reunite before the finale wraps up next week.

A small detail, but I was actually happy to see Jerome at the wedding.  Even if he never comes back to the hospital, I'm glad he's at least at a place in his life where he isn't completely isolated and wanted to celebrate with everyone else.

Final (?) "Tequila, stat!"

Surgery of the week was fine: seems mainly to be used to set up Lim's future, which I'm not quite sure how it will play out yet.

Heh, bet that wasn't the first time Richard Schiff heard "I hate you!" from Ruby Kelley at some point in their lives: nothing nefarious, but I'm sure it happened at some point during the classic angsty teenage years!  But, alas, we now got confirmation that not only is Glassman's cancer back, but it's terminal.  Yup, no walk backs this time, it seems.  Poor Shaun.

Finale looks like it will mainly focus with Claire still being in peril, but I have to imagine we'll get some kind of wrap up for the main squad.  Can't believe it's almost here!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Heh, bet that wasn't the first time Richard Schiff heard "I hate you!" from Ruby Kelley at some point in their lives: nothing nefarious, but I'm sure it happened at some point during the classic angsty teenage years! 

I didn't realize Schiff and  Sheila Kelley had kids. Thanks for the heads up about who Ruby is.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

However, the only way she got the testing was because she is a doctor and knows doctors. If she were anyone else, noooope - she wouldn't be getting testing or another couple of years

Women are supposed to do breast self-exams every month, so if she was doing that, she might have felt the lump. But a lot of women don't do it, and if the lump is small enough, maybe it would go undetected anyway.

This show really seems to enjoy killing characters. I am assuming Claire doesn't die, but does anyone have a guess about what has caused her to pass out? 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

This show really seems to enjoy killing characters. I am assuming Claire doesn't die, but does anyone have a guess about what has caused her to pass out? 

Let's hope it's just passion.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Women are supposed to do breast self-exams every month, so if she was doing that, she might have felt the lump. But a lot of women don't do it, and if the lump is small enough, maybe it would go undetected anyway.

I know young adults who have felt lumps and their doctors brush them off because "[they're] too young." It is sadly rather common to hear that in the YA cancer community for pretty much every cancer. My cancer was only caught right away because my counts were all kinds of abnormal and my oncologist managed to figure it out without ever seeing a case of it before.

I'm going to guess she passed out from a sudden BP drop. If it was bleeding from the surgical site, she would've touched it and seen blood. They're probably going to do something like, "omg the cancer is in her brain, now Glassman will do one final surgery to save Claire and then he will die in the OR after removing the cancer from her brain!"

but tbh I would laugh if everyone except Shaun, Lea, and Lim (and the babies) are dead at the end of the finale and they just get out of Dodge.

• Useful 1
17 minutes ago, bros402 said:

I know young adults who have felt lumps and their doctors brush them off because "[they're] too young." It is sadly rather common to hear that in the YA cancer community for pretty much every cancer. My cancer was only caught right away because my counts were all kinds of abnormal and my oncologist managed to figure it out without ever seeing a case of it before.

I'm going to guess she passed out from a sudden BP drop. If it was bleeding from the surgical site, she would've touched it and seen blood. They're probably going to do something like, "omg the cancer is in her brain, now Glassman will do one final surgery to save Claire and then he will die in the OR after removing the cancer from her brain!"

but tbh I would laugh if everyone except Shaun, Lea, and Lim (and the babies) are dead at the end of the finale and they just get out of Dodge.

That's upsetting about people being ignored when they find a lump. I definitely had a lot of experiences of not being taken seriously, and being told I was too young to really be sick, thus meaning it took a long time to get my diagnoses (not cancer). Now that I'm middle aged, they take me much more seriously and always find something  else wrong even when I don't expect it. So... I don't know if the appropriate reaction is laughter or tears or anger or all of the above....

I was going to guess Claire was dehydrated, but she's probably not negligent enough to let that happen. A sudden drop in blood pressure, or a clot, seem more likely. If she is bleeding enough to cause unconsciousness, I'd think the blood would be soaking through her clothes, but I guess I don't know how thick her garments and/or bandages are.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

A small detail, but I was actually happy to see Jerome at the wedding

I noticed that too and it was the only thing I liked about the wedding, really. I don't find weddings and planned proposals romantic at all. I find them awkward and too planned, rehearsed to be romantic. One wedding in my whole long life touched me, and it was because the  bride decided to go to her  pianist friend and sing to the groom. 

I hate Glassman's story line. Too much drama to be crammed with even more drama about drugs, with a completely unrealistic decision of a drug addict to listen to a story and completely turn around on her decision to get clean. Too much drama for a full length season, way more for a shortened one

I hope we don't see Glassman die

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

Jared said she felt warm so I'm guessing an infection; possibly sepsis or necrotizing fascitits because, of course, it's Claire and God forbid life should go well for her.  

Also, kind of wondering if we might get Claire staying in San Jose and Lim going to Guatemala to take her place.  This episode leaned pretty heavily towards Lim rethinking her life and priorities.

• Like 4

When Shaun walked into Glassman's apartment and started his speech to Hannah, I had tears streaming down my cheeks. I forgot for a split second that it was Freddie Highmore and not Shaun! If that one scene was not worth his Emmy nod, I don't know what was!? I don't understand why he hasn't won the Emmy yet....for this show or for Bate's Motel. After learning here that Glassman's actual daughter is Hannah (the actress) I think he may have earned his Emmy in the hallway breaking down with Shaun too! Such a well acted episode.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

This show is certainly ending on a downer note, not only did Asher just get murdered but now Glassy has terminal cancer and the second Claire gets back she has cancer too. We aren't at Greys Anatomy levels of death trap hospitals, but we seem to be getting perilously close. 

It really is great having Claire back, even if its because of a medical issue, such is her sad lot in life. I'm glad she got scenes with about everyone she had a relationship with in the cast, especially Shaun, and it even looks like she and Jared might end up together after all. Poor Jordan though, it seemed like they had something going on for a minute but then so much else happened. 

I'm not going to ask how Morgan and Park managed to get everyone there at 2am in their wedding best because it was such a cute wedding, it was very them. I'm glad that we got to briefly see Jerome at the wedding, it would be nice to check in with him before the show ends. 

I knew something was up with Glassy after he got that phone call, but I was so hoping it was a false alarm! At least Shaun got to help with Hannah and it seems like Shaun and Glassy have finally made up, but I was really hoping that the show wouldn't end with his death. 

This season flew by, I cant believe its almost the series finale. 

• Like 2

They also killed Melendez, so this carnage is not a new thing.

If Jordan is texint with perez every day, I'm not sure how much she can say she has a claim on Jared.

• Useful 1
On 5/15/2024 at 11:53 AM, possibilities said:

Multiple members of my family have had breast cancer. None felt a lump; all were detected through a routine mammogram.  Keep doing the monthly self-exam, but don't put off a mammogram; it can save your life. 

Claire's surgery was one of the first they've ever shown where the patient didn't go into some type of distress during it or have some other dire condition discovered, so of course she has to have post-op complications.  An infection?  Internal bleeding?  Blood clot?  

It was unrealistic to have her moving so freely at the wedding and while dancing.  In those first few days after breast surgery, you want to limit their movement as much as possible, even with a post-surgical compression bra to provide support.  

• Like 5
15 hours ago, YorkshireLass said:

Jared said she felt warm so I'm guessing an infection; possibly sepsis or necrotizing fascitits because, of course, it's Claire and God forbid life should go well for her.  

I was guessing sepsis, too.  Also, not that this show is known for medical realism, but dancing like that so soon after a lumpectomy? Not going to happen. 

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, possibilities said:

That's upsetting about people being ignored when they find a lump. I definitely had a lot of experiences of not being taken seriously, and being told I was too young to really be sick, thus meaning it took a long time to get my diagnoses (not cancer). Now that I'm middle aged, they take me much more seriously and always find something  else wrong even when I don't expect it. So... I don't know if the appropriate reaction is laughter or tears or anger or all of the above....

I was going to guess Claire was dehydrated, but she's probably not negligent enough to let that happen. A sudden drop in blood pressure, or a clot, seem more likely. If she is bleeding enough to cause unconsciousness, I'd think the blood would be soaking through her clothes, but I guess I don't know how thick her garments and/or bandages are.

Yeah - it's common. I hear it distressingly often in the groups I am in. Unless you're an obvious case (or have a family history of it), doctors dismiss it or say it is anxiety or a cold or something else. For young blood cancer patients, they tend to get diagnosed when they end up in the hospital with their hemoglobin in the basement or with a really bad infection. For others, it's pain that made them go to the hospital and they were lucky enough to have a doctor who listened. I know someone who had to wait 3 years to get a diagnosis because the doctors wouldn't believe them.

The appropriate reaction is whatever you want it to be.

I vote for sepsis or clot - they said there were no issues during the surgeries, so something must've gone wrong off screen and she needs to be on every antibiotic ever because she ended up getting something in Guatemala.

I was rather surprised with how much she was able to move, especially since she was having difficulty moving her arm hours earlier.

tbh I was half expecting Claire to just tell them to do a mastectomy instead of the lumpectomy they did after she didn't have clear margins.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

They also killed Melendez, so this carnage is not a new thing.

Yeah, but that was one death. This season has Asher, maybe Glassman, and Claire's life is on the line (But she is gonna live, unless they decide to make this a bloodbath).

• Like 1

So, magically, Dr. Lim is able to officiate at weddings. Well, ok, then.  Never been a big Claire fan but can handle her for two episodes, I guess. 

8 hours ago, limecoke said:

So, magically, Dr. Lim is able to officiate at weddings. Well, ok, then.  Never been a big Claire fan but can handle her for two episodes, I guess. 

California allows online ordained ministers. I could see Lim getting that at some point for kicks.

• Useful 1
On 5/15/2024 at 12:53 PM, possibilities said:

They've actually changed the protocol on this and women are not supposed to do self-exams any more, but they are supposed to be examined by a doctor once a year, and have regular mammograms once they reach a certain age. 

The reason for not doing the self-exams anymore is because women were finding lumps that were mostly just cysts that would disappear and it was causing unnecessary testing and stress.

• Useful 3