Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Faith

• Start Topic

TUESDAY, APRIL 30, 10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT

Shaun and Jordan's patient is in dire need of a kidney transplant. When they find the perfect donor, they also discover that he believes he is Jesus which could compromise his ability to give consent to the surgery.

Aw, I liked that ending with Jorcan talking to Asher's photo. Interesting to see her reaction to the guy claiming to be Jesus this episode, to see her own religious beliefs being challenged as they were. 

And ooh, that observation from Shaun at the end about Steve. Hm.

I feel so bad for Jerome. I liked Jared checking on him as he did. 

• Like 8

Well, this is fun: the actress who played the addict is Richard Schiff’s daughter.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 5

Now, there's the Reznick I remember!  Using her friendship to try and poach Leah's favorite nanny candidate is certainly something out of her playbook.  Moral/fairness debates aside, that is a surefire way to never be trusted again, so I'm not sure if it was worth putting their friendship at risk like that, but I guess it's not worth thinking too much about that.  Not surprised though that Leah would fight back and I did enjoy it leading to Park having to bring everyone to the negotiating table to stop things from really going off the rails.  Loved that his biggest fear was that them being at war would mean he and Shaun wouldn't be allowed to hang anymore.  Heh, he might act like a grump at times, but he really enjoys his time with Shaun!

So, Guillermo Diaz; who I've seen in a ton of stuff but I'm guessing he's best known as Huck from Scandal; shows up as a patient who literally thinks he's Jesus.  Is it odd that this is honestly not anywhere close to the weirdest thing to happen on this show?  Maybe not, because even the gang themselves seemed pretty chill about it.  Like they acknowledge it was off, but were just glad it wasn't something as insane as other cases they dealt with.  Knew how everything was going to end, but I'm glad he at least allowed Jordan to find a healthier way to grieve and remember Asher.

Speaking of which, I'm glad we did get to check back in with Jerome, even though I really don't see him ever coming back because I have to think no matter where he was in the hospital, he'd see Asher and that would be extremely painful.  But it was nice of Jared to keep checking in on him and equally helping him move forward.

The other case was predictable, but worked well enough.  Always good to see "Hey, it's that Canadian Guy" Adrian Hough as the patient.

So, is Glassman's reaction to that phone conversation suppose to be hinting that something medically bad is going down with him?  Again?  I guess it wouldn't be a season of The Good Doctor if Glassy didn't have at least one health scare!

Shaun now wonders if Baby Steve has autism as well.  Seems pretty early to know for sure, but I imagine that will be something he'll be paying attention to going forward.

• Like 3
(edited)

It’ll be nice for them to stop the ditzy behavior from Leah. Since they put her as a mom, the writing for her is not good, imo.  I’ve never liked her character very much, but the new behavior….ugh. 

I wish they’d let Glassman be healthy.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

o, is Glassman's reaction to that phone conversation suppose to be hinting that something medically bad is going down with him?

I didnt have my hearing aids in, and close captioning wasn't working. did anyone catch what was actually said? my guess is it was patient's mom who didn't want to contact the daughter.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, jabRI said:

I didnt have my hearing aids in, and close captioning wasn't working. did anyone catch what was actually said? my guess is it was patient's mom who didn't want to contact the daughter.

He sent something to an outside agency/lab for testing. At the beginning of the episode, he was on the phone looking for results. Then he got a phone call from them revealing the results (he seemed disappointed). He just asked for the results to be sent to him. Must be something to do with his own condition and wanted the confidentiality of an outside lab.

• Like 1

Thank you, without being able to hear sometimes I make up my own (better?) story endings :)

• Like 1

I know that Jordan is mourning and I know that everyone on this show does this, but she really needs to work on letting her personal feelings get in the way of her working with patients. I am glad that at least this weird experience helped her gain some of her faith again and let her remember Asher in a more positive way. Poor Jermome, I'm glad that Jared is checking in on him but I feel like he is going to be leaving soon, working at that hospital would be so hard, I wouldn't blame him for wanting to move and find a new job.

Fun to see Guillermo Diaz pop up! I do like how easily everyone just rolled with "ok he thinks he's Jesus, but can he still donate?" as its by far not the craziest thing that's happened to them. 

I'm on Leah's side, Morgan poaching her nanny was not cool at all. Even if she and Leah make up after compromising I wouldn't blame Leah if she keeps her at arms length now, or at least doesn't trust her. Meanwhile, Park just wants to get to keep hanging out with Shaun while Shaun is just trying to be supportive, which is probably the right call. That ending certainly was interesting, its probably too early to make any kind of diagnosis but its something to watch...

More bad medical news for Glassy? Now that the show is wrapping up, I'm worried that they might end the show with his death and Shaun having to deal with it.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Aw, I liked that ending with Jorcan talking to Asher's photo. Interesting to see her reaction to the guy claiming to be Jesus this episode, to see her own religious beliefs being challenged as they were. 

Someone was complaining a few weeks ago about how Asher had warmed back up to his Judaism again, and now in this episode Jordan loses his her faith (although she apparently got  it back again).  People on this show don't seem to have very stable beliefs.

Seems a little strange that the guy who thought he was Jesus was okay to give his consent to the kidney donation, but suddenly when they found out they could cure him, he wasn't anymore.  Either he was or he wasn't.

There are three episodes left.  I wonder why they killed Asher off like they did, so close to the finish line?  Makes me wonder if the actor had another job lined up or something.  I hope they keep Jerome around for the limited time left.  Would they kill off Glassman and make him unavailable for a possible reunion show in ten years?  I see a final scene for him walking off into the sun with his daughter.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, amarante said:

Poaching a nanny is a heinous violation of the Girl Code - or is it the Mommy Code?

Friendship code, I'm thinking. But even the mere acquaintance code. Decent human being code. 

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, rmontro said:

There are three episodes left.  I wonder why they killed Asher off like they did, so close to the finish line?  Makes me wonder if the actor had another job lined up or something.

From what I've read, other opportunities was one part of it, but the other part was Noah missing the people he loved while being away during the filming of the show in Vancouver, B.C.  I wonder if he knew that this season was only going to be 10 episodes when he made his decision.  Filming 10 episodes wouldn't take that long compared to a full season of 22 episodes.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I stopped watching when they killed my favorite character, and Leah!   I am back to see when Antonia Thomas will return for the end,and to find out what has happened in the past few years to see if there is a possibility of her character and Jared reuniting? 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Poor Jerome, I'm glad that Jared is checking in on him but I feel like he is going to be leaving soon, working at that hospital would be so hard, I wouldn't blame him for wanting to move and find a new job.

Perhaps Claire will ask Jerome to join her in Costa Rica when she returns.

4 hours ago, rmontro said:

Would they kill off Glassman and make him unavailable for a possible reunion show in ten years?  I see a final scene for him walking off into the sun with his daughter.

Yeah, I was thinking that Glassman might have been having a hallucination of his daughter who died years ago as part of his symptoms returning. Along the lines of 'I see dead people'- the Sixth Sense.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, amarante said:

Poaching a nanny is a heinous violation of the Girl Code - or is it the Mommy Code?

We haven't really seen Morgan be a real witch for awhile now.  Maybe they had forgotten that was her personality, and decided to get her back to character for the final episodes.  And she was also dumping all the chump jobs on Dom.  Was that her just being mean again, or was she trying to teach him some sort of lesson?

• Useful 1

I am half hoping that they kill Glassman off just to make everyone be like "what the fuck showrunners! You killed off Asher, now Glassman?"

Shaun being like "omg does Steve have autism??"

Isn't Steve like 6 months old? 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Park is back as Super!Park!

He can do ANY surgery with only one resident and one nurse!

Maybe he could take care of the babies at the same time, why hire a nanny?

I don't know why they have an autistic consultant if they will write shit like "Steve might be showing early signs of autism" - from a character who is a doctor! Well, at least this part is consistent. Most doctors don't even hear the word "autism" until they meet one autistic person. Not even autistic doctors apparently.

An autism diagnosis is not given until after at least 2 years old. Developmental delays can be just a phase, a matter of the forming personality, or it can be something other than autism. That's one reason why they cannot diagnose babies right away. So ridiculous. And why did Shaun seemed so disappointed that Steve might be autistic? There is a good chance he will and doesn't he have any pride? Or is he just another Shiny Autistic who only values the savant ones?

Yikes!

• Like 2
21 hours ago, jabRI said:

Thank you, without being able to hear sometimes I make up my own (better?) story endings :)

Ten or so years ago your deductions would probably be accurate, or at least related. These days, with diminished attention spans and multitasking (BS), topics, plot lines, even dialogue jump around like fleas.

What was the resolution of the nanny brouhaha? Did the hospital set up a daycare? Didn't it have one already? (I was tired, and had already watched "two families need nannies" on The Rookie, so maybe I zoned out.)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Driad said:

What was the resolution of the nanny brouhaha? Did the hospital set up a daycare? Didn't it have one already? (I was tired, and had already watched "two families need nannies" on The Rookie, so maybe I zoned out.)

Yes. The designated room looked pretty lame, though. There was no discussion, they just threw it in as a visual at the end. Probably worked out better for the nanny because I imagine in addition to a salary, she may have been offered some benefits.

1 hour ago, Driad said:

Only touched the quote button once, but such is this hoppy site. I can only read 3-4 posts before it “reloads” due to some error.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, bros402 said:

Shaun being like "omg does Steve have autism??"

Isn't Steve like 6 months old? 

9 hours ago, circumvent said:

I don't know why they have an autistic consultant if they will write shit like "Steve might be showing early signs of autism" - from a character who is a doctor! Well, at least this part is consistent. Most doctors don't even hear the word "autism" until they meet one autistic person. Not even autistic doctors apparently.

An autism diagnosis is not given until after at least 2 years old. Developmental delays can be just a phase, a matter of the forming personality, or it can be something other than autism. That's one reason why they cannot diagnose babies right away. So ridiculous. And why did Shaun seemed so disappointed that Steve might be autistic? There is a good chance he will and doesn't he have any pride? Or is he just another Shiny Autistic who only values the savant ones?

Yikes!

There can be signs that point to a child possibly being on the autism spectrum when they are infants.  Shaun said, "It could be an early indication of autism".  One of the early signs is infants reacting in unexpected ways to new faces.  If all the other children cried when their parent(s) left and Steve did not, that's different.  Like circumvent said, it may mean Steve is at a different level in his development than the other children.  Or it may mean that he's a baby who loves new experiences and new people or, as Shawn pointed out, an early indication of possible autism.

It would be foolish on both Shaun & Leah's part to not be on the lookout for indications that Steve might be on the spectrum.  Familial autism is well proven and the genetic risk is definitely there.  Autism has affected every facet of Shaun's life and he knows what that entails.  Does he want Steve to have the same struggles he had?  I doubt it very much....   Early diagnosis tends to lead to more favourable outcomes in helping autistic children have their best lives possible so watching for any indication is prudent for any parent who has a child with a known risk factor.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, Daff said:

Yes. The designated room looked pretty lame, though. There was no discussion, they just threw it in as a visual at the end. Probably worked out better for the nanny because I imagine in addition to a salary, she may have been offered some benefits.

Only touched the quote button once, but such is this hoppy site. I can only read 3-4 posts before it “reloads” due to some error.

I believe it was mentioned that it is a storage closet that was converted into a daycare?

Or was that some other show I watched?

10 hours ago, YorkshireLass said:

It would be foolish on both Shaun & Leah's part to not be on the lookout for indications that Steve might be on the spectrum.  Familial autism is well proven and the genetic risk is definitely there.  Autism has affected every facet of Shaun's life and he knows what that entails.  Does he want Steve to have the same struggles he had?  I doubt it very much....   Early diagnosis tends to lead to more favourable outcomes in helping autistic children have their best lives possible so watching for any indication is prudent for any parent who has a child with a known risk factor.

I would chalk a lot of Shaun's stuff up to his abusive family. They obviously got him a diagnosis, but I doubt they allowed him any services in school.

also, uh, I sort of find it hilarious that Charlie is seemingly gone now that Shaun's conflict with her ended. I like hemophobic guy, but I also like having Kayla Cromer on my screen!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I didn't read it as Shaun being bothered that his kid might be autistic. I just took it as him being very aware of the signs, and matter of factly noting it. Even if it's too early to be diagnosing, I can easily imagine him being sort of vigilant about it. He notices signs in patients, too, it's just something he picks up on. I get that because it's like people like me having "gaydar" and being hyper aware of signals people give about that, which straight people might not notice. It's not foolproof, but it's there.

But I think his total lack of any autistic friends IS a sign he doesn't have pride or even interest, which I find strange. Everyone I know seeks out people with similar stuff to themselves; with or without pride, it's just useful to have people who get you without having to explain everything in exhaustive detail. NOT that folks with the same label are identical, but just that there are things others simply have no experience with in the areas where there's overap.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Looking for signs of autism is what he should be doing but anyone informed would not say that an infant might be autistic. They would say that the child shows signs of developmental disability. As they become toddlers, it might be more evident which way they are going, although it is not definitive and it varies depending on the dominant characteristics.

My family is going through this right now. A kid who is three, and is clearly developmentally disabled, but not yet clear if it is autism, ADHD, or anything in between - or more than one diagnosis. In this case, she is thriving in school, which is accepting and completely involved in her own time of development. The doctors still don't have a diagnosis, and she is having therapies for general skill building and relationship (Play therapy). Because she is in another country and schooling there is different, aides are not something they have, and the school is - luckily - really good at what they do, nobody is really concerned about the final diagnosis as long s she is getting the stimulation and showing growth 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, possibilities said:

I get that because it's like people like me having "gaydar" and being hyper aware of signals people give about that, which straight people might not notice. It's not foolproof, but it's there.

But I think his total lack of any autistic friends IS a sign he doesn't have pride or even interest, which I find strange. Everyone I know seeks out people with similar stuff to themselves; with or without pride, it's just useful to have people who get you without having to explain everything in exhaustive detail. NOT that folks with the same label are identical, but just that there are things others simply have no experience with in the areas where there's overap.

I read somewhere (I think an autism chat?) that some people have noticed that they have "A-Dar" (like gaydar but for autism) - which they found funny.

Yeah - I don't need Shaun to be happy he has autism or flout it or anything (like when the hospital was owned for a bit and Shaun was put on a billboard advertising his autism - he was displeased), but you think he would do something, even just something as small as interacting with other autistics online. It's lonely being by yourself! They don't even need to show it on screen - just mention it or have something in the background that never becomes a plot.

This show did a disservice to autistics everywhere by having Shaun be opposed to receiving any support for his autism, while he tried to unknowingly pull up the ladder behind him when Charlie came along.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1