Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E03: It’s Not Over Til Phil Sings

• Start Topic

Didn't we have two young brothers who were reconnecting and didn't seem to be taking the race all that seroiusy in the previous season as well? I think I liked them more though. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't necessarily think people like Angie and Chris have "delusions of grandeur" going on a show like this. I do, however, think they have unrealistic perceptions about their own physical abilities.

From WebMD:

Delusions of grandeur is when one has a false belief about one's own greatness or skills. 

You say potato; I'll say patoto.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Late to the party! But for what it's worth...

The Giggling Twins are out and nobody is surprised.

You could look out over the city, see that staircase winding up the side of the hill and just know where you're going even before you get to the clue box! Wow. Just... wow!

One guy can't walk down a flight of steps because there is no hand rail. The sooner he's gone the happier I'll be.

Cooking: I wanted to eat it. All of it. I am having fried plantain with my lunch as a result of watching this episode. (And no, plantain is not a desert.) But woe! One guy can't fry an egg. The vegarians don't now how to cook meat. Someone can't boil a pot of rice. That foo' can't cut an avocado into four! I guess these are people who have no kitchen and eat fast food three times a day, seven days a week?

Damned good episode, I think. Plenty of interesting and diverse tasks and the locale looks lovely.  Let's hope they can maintain the great locales they have been giving us so far, in the legs to come. Looking forward to the next episode!

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Rodney said:

Kishori is shorter than Karishma.

Thanks, that will make it easy to remember: Kishori is the short one.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 11:17 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Who the heck did the casting for this season?  I would prefer some more teams that are actually capable of competing in this race. 

I cannot believe how many teams there are this season who CLEARLY won't be winning. I feel like some team is going to win who would be middle of the pack in any other season.

I feel for the guy with the trouble with stairs. I suffer from the exact same thing. I do not know why but I have always been crazy nervous walking down stairs. My legs get all wobbly and I'm convinced I am going to fall. Yegads if no rail!! If past lives are a thing, I must have died falling down stairs in my last one. 🤣

Edited by Souris
  • Like 8
On 3/29/2024 at 7:50 AM, Roccos Brother said:

I mean, whether it's a dish vs a sampler platter seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction to me. And the reason why I say that is because I've seen it referred to as both with those terms used interchangeably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandeja_paisa

In Venezuela the national dish is pabellon criollo, which is very similar to that Colombian dish; I've had pabellon criollo many a time.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pabellón_criollo

It is not considered a sampler platter any more that tacos with sides of rice and beans are. Or,meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans.

• Like 3
On 3/29/2024 at 1:00 AM, Roccos Brother said:

There's a sizable Latin community where I live and those "little bit of everything" platters intended for one are pretty common menu options whenever I go to a Colombian restaurant. Definitely a good amount of food for the price.

Kind of a Latin American version of the full English breakfast.

On 3/29/2024 at 1:26 PM, eel2178 said:

Three kinds of meat plus eggs really surprised me. That's a lot of protein.

That must be intended for someone who is going to go do manual labor all day and not get his next meal for another 12 or 14 hours. I can't see that considered to be a "normal" meal otherwise.

That probably is how it started out.  Like the aforementioned English breakfast.

On 3/29/2024 at 1:36 PM, eel2178 said:

It seems there is a lot thinking, "If The Fabulous Beekman Boys and their roller bags can win this, then so can my grandmother and I."

Nicolas and Donald (grandson & grandfather) made it to the final 3 in AR12.  And they're not the only less physically impressive team to make it that far.

I've definitely enjoyed the seasons with a wider range of contestant types more than those with mostly young, strong teams.

On 3/29/2024 at 10:42 PM, North of Eden said:

How do you have a" rich Columbian coffee" task just before the pitstop and NOT have Juan Valdez and his donkey as the greeters?!

I was hoping for that.

On 3/30/2024 at 1:49 AM, Skooma said:

The mother and son are huge fans.  They got to live their dream of dreams.  Everybody should.  It shouldn't just be reserved for the 20-something alphas.  The rest of us dream too!

God knows there were enough negative comments during the seasons which were mostly 20-something alphas.  Some people aren't happy no matter the what mix of contestants.

16 hours ago, Souris said:

I cannot believe how many teams there are this season who CLEARLY won't be winning. I feel like some team is going to win who would be middle of the pack in any other season.

I wouldn't assume that.  We've been surprised before.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

God knows there were enough negative comments during the seasons which were mostly 20-something alphas.  Some people aren't happy no matter the what mix of contestants.

I welcome parent/child teams. Corey and Rob from last season were probably my all-time favorites. But I think criticism of Chris and Angie is fair. Both were literally falling down from exhaustion in only the first two legs. You have to wonder how they ever thought they'd be able to get through this.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I welcome parent/child teams. Corey and Rob from last season were probably my all-time favorites. But I think criticism of Chris and Angie is fair. Both were literally falling down from exhaustion in only the first two legs. You have to wonder how they ever thought they'd be able to get through this.

And yet Angie is still in it at this point.  So we'll see how valid the criticism turns out to be.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2024 at 6:55 PM, Rodney said:

Kishori is shorter than Karishma.  By, like, a lot.  When they stand together reading clues, the difference is noticeable.

It’s the other way around. Karishma is the short one.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Corey Was just a little too much Of a goody 2 shoes For me. Didn't like him But I rather watch him than

the ultimate Manchild Luke Of Margie and Luke. Still can't believe that Spoiled baby got to come back a second time.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2024 at 10:27 PM, TVbitch said:

Didn't we have two young brothers who were reconnecting and didn't seem to be taking the race all that seroiusy in the previous season as well? I think I liked them more though. 

Liam & Yeremi, yes.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/29/2024 at 11:27 AM, shura said:

And I saw an interview with the twins this morning where they said that the cooking instructions were in Spanish and they couldn’t understand anything, so they might have just thought it all had to come out at the same time.  Weird though, instructions in Spanish with, potentially, no chance for non-Spanish-speakers to complete the challenge?

Given what we saw of them, the instructions were probably in English on the other side but they didn't have the brain power to think to turn the page over.

On 3/29/2024 at 7:42 PM, North of Eden said:

Sean was an embarrassment on that hillside. If it was some kind of sheer drop okay but man up!

My sister-in-law has an intense fear of heights.  I once saw her, in the spirit of not letting the family down and spoiling a special occasion, claw her way up (and down) the last couple of hundred feet of a summit on her bottom, surrounded by us trying to block the "view."   Until then the climb had been through woods, but at the end it was totally exposed on all sides with a loose, scree path, and no guard rail.  I'm not particularly afraid of heights but I wasn't very comfortable doing it, and her fear was absolutely palpable.  She was white as a sheet and wasn't putting anything on.  It was a huge deal for all of us that she managed to make it.

• Like 7
(edited)

Wow. I didn't dislike Anthony and Bailey. But, if they weren't last, it was going to be hard to watch them bumble through future episodes. 

If Sean is so afraid heights, how in the world did they get him up the first flight of stairs? There must have been some parts edited out, or his issue was just going down the stairs.

Edited by InDueTime
On 3/28/2024 at 6:01 AM, Lantern7 said:

So long to the Twins. They seemed like decent guys, but there was barely a brain between them . .  . and they'd probably admit as much. Multiple swaps on a Detour isn't new, but it was obvious both tasks were over their heads. After Sean adulted up on the stairs and Angie finished the Roadblock, their game was over.

Also both seemed pretty far away from each other. Usually when you have multi bald snarks, both options are right next to each other. Running up a hill each time you switch is ridiculous. At that point, just stick to something (and in this case the cooking was pretty clearly the better option).

On 3/28/2024 at 10:15 PM, eel2178 said:

In Hawaii, it takes 30lbs of cherries to make one pound of coffee beans (a little less than half a kilo). I'm pretty sure these people weren't carrying around 15 pounds of cherries.

I mean after they are dried and roasted the 1kg they had to gather today will also be a lot less. Like maybe 300g.

(edited)

Three episodes in, I'm learning to be entertained by the bickering and incompetence. This might not last but right now there are still so many teams I can't find any one team or person too annoying and the editors are keeping any bad griping or yelling out of the show so it's all tolerable and amusing. 

The repeated stair climbing is brutal but hilarious from the couch at home. And the cooking challenge was another good way of slowing them down without just having them do a puzzle.

That one pilot was way too serious about getting to the mat. It's leg 3, you're not up for the win or the loss. He could have fallen off the mountain. 

The twins... I can't.

Edited by aradia22

I find the brunette girlfriends and blonde firefighters interchangeable as well (largely because they're not getting much screentime) but it's nothing compared to Amber and Vinny whose names confused me every time I read them in this thread. I had to look it up to figure out that they're the nurses.

I felt for Sean as I have no fear of heights but I do have concerns about falling. Steep walk down with no handrails or real stairs AND it was slippery? No, thank you. I've traveled to enough places like that and it's so not worth it to risk of spraining your ankle or cracking your skull open. I understood why he calmed down once he was able to at least make it to some real stairs. Meanwhile one of the pilots was ready to roll his way down the mountain to get to Phil.

• Like 1