Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/25/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, March 25 – Melanie “Mel B” Brown (author, “Brutally Honest”)

Tuesday, March 26 – Kathy Griffin (tour, “My Life on the PTSD-List”); Cristiana Dell’Anna (“Cabrini”)

Wednesday, March 27 – Coleman Hughes (author, “The End of Race Politics”)

Thursday, March 28 – Zoe Saldaña and director Marco Perego (“The Absence of Eden”)

Friday, March 29 (ENCORE BROADCAST OAD: 1/17/24) – “The Political View” with Vice President Kamala Harris live in studio

• Thanks 3

The reason people were so interested in what was going on with Kate was it appeared they were hiding something. And it turns out they were hiding something.  I feel bad for Kate.  Hope she recovers. But her having cancer doesn't change the fact the Palace handled things poorly.

50 minutes ago, Haleth said:

How did the discussion of Kate’s cancer become all about Whoopi?

Whoopi always thinks everything is about her.

• Applause 5
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The reason people were so interested in what was going on with Kate was it appeared they were hiding something. And it turns out they were hiding something.  I feel bad for Kate.  Hope she recovers. But her having cancer doesn't change the fact the Palace handled things poorly.

Did they though? Or were they just doing what Kate requested ? Out of interest how would you have handled it in her position? 

She's not some hollywood diva who thinks the world revolves around her & she doesn't have to announce everything she does or that happens in her life, especially not to people who think it's their business to know when it's not. 

There were a few in the UK who wanted to know but most I know thought it was probably private (it was) and there would be some announcement or she would appear eventually, she did.

As for Sunny & Sarah and their conspiracy theories they can STFU & STFD. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 10
5 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

And Sarah handled it even worse.

Not the first time.

3 minutes ago, Smokeyblow said:

Out of interest how would you have handled it in her position? 

I think Kate was given bad advice.  They had to know there would be interest in Kate's health. I probably would have disclosed it.  When you give people some information but leave other questions unanswered people are going to come up with their own answers. I'm not saying it's right but it's human nature to want to know the whole story.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
57 minutes ago, Smokeyblow said:

Out of interest how would you have handled it in her position? 

As a private person, I kept my diagnosis quiet; only a few people knew it at the time, though since then, others have been told, mainly to share helpful information with them. As a public person, like Kate, I think that partway into her announced / planned recuperation time (until Easter, which doesn't come for another week), it might have been better to share some info rather than allow speculation to get out of control. 

Kate isn't known for sharing a lot of personal information, let alone health details, so sharing this would have more impact than it might for people who share a lot more. 

I do think that speculation on the View got a bit out there, and if the panel had taken a little time to consider how they would like it. Someone somewhere pointed out that Sunny might not care for people to be throwing out ideas about why she's wearing a wrist brace, for example. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

So on the subject of Princess Kate, Alyssa and Ana actually seem remorseful.  Sunny and Sarah...not so much.  How are you going to blame your co-hosts and the royal family's PR for the fact that you're middle aged women that acted like teenagers?  I'm appalled.  

And Christy Carlson Romano is a bit delusional (former child star who got the boob job).  She has a youtube channel which I stumbled upon randomly about a year ago, where she talks about her Disney days and interviews fellow former child stars.  Poor thing thinks she's way more famous than she was (she played the sister on Even Stevens, the show that made Shia LaBeouf famous).  She had an entire video where she talked about Anne Hathaway and how people used to compare them and bring their names up in the same sentences and as I'm watching it, all I could think was, "Oh, sweetie..."  Also, I'm pretty sure she's estranged from her family, so I don't know that her mother was the best advice giver...

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

I can't believe producer Brian didn't say a thing (!) about the Kate Middleton thing. Although the cohosts hold some blame, I think ultimately it's up to him to approve topics of discussion. I know the ladies might have tried to twist his harm but if he had given a hard "No!", it would have to have been respected.

But of course, hindsight is 20/20.

10 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I can't believe producer Brian didn't say a thing (!) about the Kate Middleton thing. Although the cohosts hold some blame, I think ultimately it's up to him to approve topics of discussion. I know the ladies might have tried to twist his harm but if he had given a hard "No!", it would have to have been respected.

But of course, hindsight is 20/20.

He encouraged it on the podcast so he doesn’t get a pass from me. At least today he said he felt bad about it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

The reason people were so interested in what was going on with Kate was it appeared they were hiding something.

Yeah, especially when they tried to peddle a fake photo of her and her children to international news agencies. I like how that's conveniently being ignored to gaslight the public in the wake of her admission.

That multiple reputable international photo agencies killed the Mother's Day image, questioning its validity AND made clear that they requested the raw file to understand how much manipulation had been done to the original image but Kensington Palace refused to provide one.

That is actually when the photo agencies killed the image. When KP refused to provide a raw file. And that is also when social media went crazy with the conspiracy theories. And despite claims that it was just some light photoshop and everyone photoshops images - the Associated Press laid out clearly their reasons for killing the photo was not just due to some light photoshopping but full manipulation of the image. 

I observed this whole situation passively on social media because yes, social media is toxic and so I limit my engagment with it significantly. But I can say with absolute certainty that this ONLY became the shitstorm it did after the photo fiasco because of course, at that point people started wondering what the hell was going on over there and where was this woman that they needed to be trying to pass off fake photos of her.

I do not remember seeing any demands to see Kate's medical records or anyone calling Kate a liar. People were saying the Palace did something to her, because yes, many people online love a good conspiracy theory and let's be honest, there are people to this day who insist and truly believe the Royals murdered Diana. 

And I find the comparisons to Chadwick Boseman incredibly disingenous. People saw Chadwick and so many were very much commenting on his appearance because it was clear the man was scary thin. And yes, because there are plenty of assholes online, some mocked and made fun of his appearance while many others were genuinely concerned and suspected he was very sick. People were not making fun of Kate's appearance because that's just it, no one was seeing her. 

Now I don't know what the women on the show were saying, because I can only tolerate these women sporadically, so maybe they were hateful or awful towards Kate. But if all that occurred was the general sentiment of, "Where the hell is this woman and what is really going on here," then I see zero reasons anyone owes any apology. Because that situation was suspect and it was made suspect by the Palace's piss poor handling of the situation, IMHO. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Now I don't know what the women on the show were saying, because I can only tolerate these women sporadically, so maybe they were hateful or awful towards Kate.

They weren't hateful but they were kinda talking like it was a TV show or something and each day they were discussing a new episode.  I myself engaged in speculation.  Most people do that when there is a big news story and there are pieces missing.  

24 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

But I can say with absolute certainty that this ONLY became the shitstorm it did after the photo fiasco because of course, at that point people started wondering what the hell was going on over there and where was this woman that they needed to be trying to pass off fake photos of her.

25 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Because that situation was suspect and it was made suspect by the Palace's piss poor handling of the situation, IMHO. 

Two things can be true at the same time.  Feeling bad that Kate has cancer while thinking the Palace handled things horribly. 

• Like 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Two things can be true at the same time.  Feeling bad that Kate has cancer while thinking the Palace handled things horribly. 

Absolutely, but that's my point. Many are trying to judge those who speculated on what was happening and yes, may have made snarky jokes with their conspiracy theories, as being awful in light of her cancer reveal.

And are now trying to shift the narrative into, "evil, awful people online made fun of this poor, sick woman." And my point is no, people were suspicious and ran conspiracy theories because the Palace tried to straight up lie to the public with a fake photo. Hence my point that this feels like gaslighting. 

So now suddenly no one can bring up how, "um, the Palace tried to peddle a fake photo to news agencies - why?" Because to do so, suddenly means you're attacking a sick woman? Yeah, no.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 3

What upset Whoopi at the beginning of Tuesday's show? What was the audience member doing? I admit I was only half watching and missed it. 

8 minutes ago, js9548 said:

What upset Whoopi at the beginning of Tuesday's show? What was the audience member doing? I admit I was only half watching and missed it. 

Someone was using his phone to record the show. 

53 minutes ago, Smokeyblow said:

I thought she was very polite and have every right to ask him to turn it off as he was directly in her line of sight. 

When I was in the audience of The View many years ago, it was clearly explained to audience members pre-show that pictures were definitely not allowed.

• Useful 4

Whoopi getting out of her chair and interrupting the flow of the show was not necessary.  She should have simply stated to the audience, "Just a reminder that no videoing is allowed while we're on the air."  That would have subtly let Brian and the crew know that someone was not following the rules.  They could have done a quick scan of the audience, and if the camera had not been put away, they could have resolved the situation themselves. 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

Whoopi getting out of her chair and interrupting the flow of the show was not necessary.  She should have simply stated to the audience, "Just a reminder that no videoing is allowed while we're on the air."  That would have subtly let Brian and the crew know that someone was not following the rules.  They could have done a quick scan of the audience, and if the camera had not been put away, they could have resolved the situation themselves. 

Subtle.....whoopi....never!

20 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

The guy with the camera now has a story about how he almost met Whoopi Goldberg.

I wondered aloud if this is a story you share with friends. My teenagers said "no-way, that's embarrassing that you're trying to sneak pictures of The View ."

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
3 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Subtle.....whoopi....never!

I wondered aloud if this is a story you share with friends. My teenagers said "no-way, that's embarrassing that you're trying to sneak pictures of The View ."

I’d share it.  I’ve done much more embarrassing things.

• LOL 2
(edited)

It was no big deal, Whoopi stood up, walked over to Alyssa's side of the stage and asked him to stop filming.  It was less than thirty seconds.  I remember seeing Whoopi a million years ago introducing the Scottish comic Billy Connolly at a theater.  While she was introducing him an audience member put his feet up on the stage.  He was seated at the very end of the row, like seat #1A.  Whoopi continued her introduction, casually strolled over.  When she got to the end of the stage she kicked the feet off the stage and "That's my stage!". She got a standing O.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
47 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

When she got to the end of the stage she kicked the feet off the stage and "That's my stage!". 

Lol, if you do that these days, you could end up with a punch in the nose or an assault charge. ☺️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
(edited)

NBC and MSNBC have numerous Republicans on the payroll… including our Nicolle Wallace, so rescinding RRM’s contract has nothing to do with party.

I thought the Bible thing was a joke when I heard about it yesterday. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 7

I used to be a big Sunny fan, but grew tired of her snippy, knowitall attitude particularly when it can to personal relationships. I do respect her legal knowledge. 

I have stopped watching the View in the past year, except once in awhile. 

So Glad Sunny put the author in his place about MLK. I saw that author before and could not believe what he was saying.  I read alot of Black authors (I'm white) to understand how their perspectives and found that "seeing color" was ok... in a respectful, kind way of course. 

The "we are all one people" is a belief decried by white speakers/writers/friends/family to downplay or not recognize the unique history, culture, problems, joys, etc of people of color.  Their default is to same as its ever been white culture, not wanting to learn or  understand their responsibility for white privileges. Or lose their place of power. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Well - Colman Hughes interview - you'd think that <fill in the blank with whatever person Sunny really dislikes> was sitting in that seat. She kept going on tangents to the point where she was interpreting what other authors meant in their books in order to contradict the author's points. Clearly, Sunny disagrees with his POV, but that doesn't mean no one else gets to hear them and decide for themselves. I also thought that the panel's (was it Whoopi or someone else?) suggestion that his age disqualifies his ideas was silly as they often generously praise other young people's ideas. The difference is that they tend to agree with those other people. The age of the author shouldn't really matter. Agree or disagree, he's as entitled to his opinion as anyone else. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Well - Colman Hughes interview - you'd think that <fill in the blank with whatever person Sunny really dislikes> was sitting in that seat. She kept going on tangents to the point where she was interpreting what other authors meant in their books in order to contradict the author's points. Clearly, Sunny disagrees with his POV, but that doesn't mean no one else gets to hear them and decide for themselves. I also thought that the panel's (was it Whoopi or someone else?) suggestion that his age disqualifies his ideas was silly as they often generously praise other young people's ideas. The difference is that they tend to agree with those other people. The age of the author shouldn't really matter. Agree or disagree, he's as entitled to his opinion as anyone else. 

What I think Whoopi meant is a saying my elders have often said to me,  "Keep on living...".   Meaning his perspective may change as he continues live and grow.  Colman Hughes seemed to oversimply a very complicated issue.  That is not uncommon with younger people.   

Sunny tried to interview him as if she was the only interviewer there.   That just wasn't going to work in this format.   But I'm not mad at her line of questioning.   

Edited by After7Only
  • Like 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, After7Only said:

Sunny tried to interview him as if she was the only interviewer there.   That just wasn't going to work in this format.   But I'm not mad at her line of questioning.   

Overbearing Sunny stole others' time with her "I know better" facts and rude confrontation. Unnecessary, unprofessional,  and not a good look. Mr. Hughes was a guest on "our" show and I wanted to hear from him. The "I know Bernice," name-dropping was ineffectual showing off. I didn't know anything about the author...and I still don't. Although he probably didn't present any information he planned, I thought he did a good job of defense--against someone who was ticked off and loaded for bear.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

The "I know Bernice," name-dropping was ineffectual showing off. 

I'm sure the author would have gotten criticized for it, but when Sunny brought up Bernice King, I wished he had said, "So what?"  Bernice was five when her father was murdered.  It's not as if she was his contemporary.  If Sunny disagrees with his interpretation of what MLK said, then she should state her opinion, not drag someone else into it.

Honestly, the only thing the guy really said was that ideally, people should be judged on their character, not skin color and that it's better to concentrate on helping people based on their socio economic status, rather than race.  Then Sunny went off on her tangent so I have no idea if he has any actual controversial opinions, since we barely got to hear him speak.  I now feel that I should read his book to see what all the hubbub is about (which I'm sure is not the result Sunny was hoping to inspire, but that's what happens when you don't let your guest actually get their thoughts/opinions out).

• Like 12
  • Applause 2

I’m being shallow today:  Wow, Lara Trump looks terrible with all the plumping and Botox. I love Sarah’s sweater but Whoopi looks like she just came from painting her living room. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 7
5 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

If Sunny disagrees with his interpretation of what MLK said, then she should state her opinion, not drag someone else into it.

Sunny probably has one source, where the author (most likely) has several he used and some he did not.  He seems intelligent and insightful.

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I love Sarah’s sweater but Whoopi looks like she just came from painting her living room. 

Haven't watched today's show yet, but a few months ago I commented to a friend (a BIG Whoopi fan; I'm not)...that Whoopi seemed to have lost weight, gained new fashion "likes," and seemed to have a much better attitude. I wondered if she was on a new medication--maybe a mood elevator. She said she hadn't noticed. 

This was a bit before Ozempic fever.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I'm sure the author would have gotten criticized for it, but when Sunny brought up Bernice King, I wished he had said, "So what?"  Bernice was five when her father was murdered.  It's not as if she was his contemporary.  If Sunny disagrees with his interpretation of what MLK said, then she should state her opinion, not drag someone else into it.

Honestly, the only thing the guy really said was that ideally, people should be judged on their character, not skin color and that it's better to concentrate on helping people based on their socio economic status, rather than race.  Then Sunny went off on her tangent so I have no idea if he has any actual controversial opinions, since we barely got to hear him speak. 

Bernice King was raised by her mother and family who had more insight than anyone else to her father's beliefs and writings.  So yes, her perspective is relevant.  

I do believe the guy's writings are controversial as he seems to dismiss the ongoing implications of racism in this country.   Racism does have socio-economic effects.... but there also environmental, physical and mental health, etc effects that focusing on just socio-economic issues would not address.   

The guy might have some great ideas in his book.   But just like so many cherry pick MLK's, I have a dream speech without context, the right may be cherry picking this guy's writing to promote the narrative that Black people are not owed anything.    I think that's where Whoopi and Sunny were trying to go with him.   

• Like 2
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

The guy might have some great ideas in his book.   But just like so many cherry pick MLK's, I have a dream speech without context, the right may be cherry picking this guy's writing to promote the narrative that Black people are not owed anything.    I think that's where Whoopi and Sunny were trying to go with him. 

They really should have let him explain his ideas without interrupting him and trying to "correct" him. That was rude. If you want to give more than lip service to the concept of free speech, you should allow people to speak, even if you think they are wrong. Maybe Sunny was completely conversant with the text of his book since she read it twice, but it is unlikely that the majority of the audience knew anything about it, and that was the point of having him come on the show. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
On 3/26/2024 at 8:14 AM, js9548 said:

Filming the show in progress -- presumably with their smartphone.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Michael T. said:

Filming the show in progress -- presumably with their smartphone.

LOL Haleth answered that in the subsequent post four days ago.

• LOL 2
15 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Maybe Sunny was completely conversant with the text of his book since she read it twice,

Conversant is one thing; she should pick up a copy of "Etiquette for Dummies."

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I completely agree. Sunny makes everything about race. He was 100% accurate when he said the issue is class. I work with people in poverty and all of them are white. They were not born with any more privilege than a black person. It was insulting to say that he is a right-wing pawn. I could not tell what Whoopi's position was. She was annoyed but I don't know whether it was with Coleman or Sunny? The others didn't even get to ask their questions.