Type keyword(s) to search

Season 12: Live Chat

• Start Topic

Month 9-She's still kicked out by the mother.  I still don't understand the hospice. 

That meal looks yummy, but she should be going for the chicken, not the rice.  Her lymphedema looks so infected. 

• Like 2
Just now, lemoncake said:

Is that a hospice? It looks like a hampton inn

Yeah, looks like a hotel, not a facility.  No signs of any medical equipment in her room either.  Either she is embarassed about living in a hotel or she doesn't know what hospice actually is and confused it with either a hostel or a hospital?  

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

That rice isn’t on the diet. But she’s sticking to it, as she told Dr. Now.

Sticking it to the diet is more like it...

• LOL 3

So...why did her mom kick her out?

Just now, Pepper Mostly said:

You make homemade chocolate syrup! I am bowing down right now. 

It's easy! 1 cup of cocoa powder, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, a pinch of salt, and 1 cup of water. Mix it all together in a 3-4qt saucepan over medium heat, whisk it pretty much continuously until it all dissolves/melts together, bring it to a boil (watch it because it will boil over quickly if you're not paying attention), then reduce heat to low and simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally. It will thicken up a little bit (and thicken more when it cools). Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. Pour into a jar, let it cool for a bit (I wait a couple hours so it doesn't get condensation in the lid), then store in the fridge. Makes about 2 cups.

I've experimented with different types of cocoa and sugar. Regular Hershey's cocoa and granulated white sugar is the closest I've come to Hershey's syrup flavor. I've also done Hershey's Special Dark cocoa, sugar in the raw, and the last several times I've done regular cocoa with half white sugar and half brown sugar; I think that's my favorite.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I need simple, easy recipes...not a confident cook and I have very little counter space so my kitchen is frustrating. Also I might have something called ARFID 

I was just in a research study for ARFID! They do a preliminary survey thing first, and if you're still a fit, they send you a vial for saliva. There might have been another survey, but I forget. I got a $25 amazon card. You don't have to be diagnosed to participate.

I thought I might be a candidate because had gallbladder surgery last year, followed shortly by pancreatitis from Ozempic. While the pancreatitis was acute, and not the chronic kind often caused by lifestyle, the specter of going through that again has made me really concerned about food. I even bought a pancreatitis cook book, which isn't as restrictive as one might think. My doc says I'm fine, but I can tell I've gotten weird about my food.  If you're interested in seeing if you qualify, I can send you the link to the preliminary survey & info page. The study is out of UNC-Chapel Hill School of Medicine.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

Whoever questioned where her support would be when times got tough, you called it. Where’d everyone go? She looks so sad now. Hoping for a rally. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1

She looks and sounds way brighter now.  Hopefully she will make a turnaround now. 

Maybe she will even reconcile with her mother if she will see that Shakiya is serious about making an effort?  Her not doing anything could have been the reason Mom threw in the towel and threw Shakiya out... 

1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Grapes! The Devil's Fruit! She's doomed. 

Thank you for the reminder!  I will go wash some during the next commercial break!

• LOL 2

She said that her mom couldn't take care of her anymore.

Yeah, looks like a hotel, not a facility.  No signs of any medical equipment in her room either.  Either she is embarassed about living in a hotel or she doesn't know what hospice actually is and confused it with either a hostel or a hospital?  

I thought maybe she was in a hospice (which they were careful not to show) and then moved to the hotel?

• Like 1

I’m not too weird about my food, but I am very careful about the amount I eat at any one time. I lost a good amount of weight in the last year and I just can’t pack it away anymore. If I eat too much, I don’t feel well, so now I tend to undereat with small meals and snacks.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It's easy! 1 cup of cocoa powder, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, a pinch of salt, and 1 cup of water. Mix it all together in a 3-4qt saucepan over medium heat, whisk it pretty much continuously until it all dissolves/melts together, bring it to a boil (watch it because it will boil over quickly if you're not paying attention), then reduce heat to low and simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally. It will thicken up a little bit (and thicken more when it cools). Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. Pour into a jar, let it cool for a bit (I wait a couple hours so it doesn't get condensation in the lid), then store in the fridge. Makes about 2 cups.

I've experimented with different types of cocoa and sugar. Regular Hershey's cocoa and granulated white sugar is the closest I've come to Hershey's syrup flavor. I've also done Hershey's Special Dark cocoa, sugar in the raw, and the last several times I've done regular cocoa with half white sugar and half brown sugar; I think that's my favorite.

Thank you! I think I'd use coffee in place of water. FAINTING to try it now. I'd try it tomorrow but tomorrow is my Do Nothing Day. 

• Like 4
(edited)

I know I have lost the weight.  Heh.

I am going to bet she hasn't lost more than 20-30 pounds in all that time.   But she thinks she lost at least 100. 

Edited by Hellga
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
Just now, Snarkastikate said:

What the hell happened to all her support system?  She can afford an extended stay hotel all of a sudden?   None of this adds up.  

I wonder if she is hooked on pain pills. They lingered on the shot of her taking sometime from a prescription bottle.

Maybe the family is paying for her to live in the hotel? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2

I thought drugs too. Would explain everyone bailing and the hiding.

if she’d been in hospice that long, she’d have to have been really sick aka unable to eat a lot. I don’t believe that full story. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Snarkastikate said:

What the hell happened to all her support system?  She can afford an extended stay hotel all of a sudden?   None of this adds up.  

Where I live, many disabled people are hoteled by state insurance because they are deemed in need of care and shelters or accessible housing isn't available.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 6
3 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I'd try it tomorrow but tomorrow is my Do Nothing Day. 

That’s me, but pretty much every day. I had my teeth cleaned this afternoon and I decided that that was quite enough for one day. The vacuuming and laundry will just have to wait for tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, aliya said:

I was just in a research study for ARFID! They do a preliminary survey thing first, and if you're still a fit, they send you a vial for saliva. There might have been another survey, but I forget. I got a $25 amazon card. You don't have to be diagnosed to participate.

I thought I might be a candidate because had gallbladder surgery last year, followed shortly by pancreatitis from Ozempic. While the pancreatitis was acute, and not the chronic kind often caused by lifestyle, the specter of going through that again has made me really concerned about food. I even bought a pancreatitis cook book, which isn't as restrictive as one might think. My doc says I'm fine, but I can tell I've gotten weird about my food.  If you're interested in seeing if you qualify, I can send you the link to the preliminary survey & info page. The study is out of UNC-Chapel Hill School of Medicine.

Interesting...I'm basically afraid I'm suddenly going to be deathly allergic to something. Even though I've never been allergic to any food or medicine (just seasonal allergies which some years don't even bother me much). I haven't eaten nuts or peanuts in about 25 years (it all started with my first panic attack...) but in the last year or so practically everything has felt unsafe. ("Everything" is an exaggeration. I'm not nearly as restricted as some of the people in that facebook group, though; sometimes I feel like I don't really belong there). I should see a therapist but the thought of making that call (or a bunch of calls, possibly) is daunting.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 6
5 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

She said that her mom couldn't take care of her anymore.

I thought maybe she was in a hospice (which they were careful not to show) and then moved to the hotel?

That was what she said. This is so grim, I can't snark.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, Suzywriter said:

Where I live, many disabled people are hoteled by state insurance because they are deemed in need of care and shelters or accessible housing isn't available.

What kind of care do they get in a hotel? Visiting nurses or is it just a place for the disabled to live and they handle their medical needs on their own?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I’m not too weird about my food, but I am very careful about the amount I eat at any one time. I lost a good amount of weight in the last year and I just can’t pack it away anymore. If I eat too much, I don’t feel well, so now I tend to undereat with small meals and snacks.

That's one benefit about getting older, I do not have the appetite. I used to have back in the old days. Although now it's up to me to make the healthy choice which isn't always my choice

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, lemoncake said:

Will she show for her weigh in?

I hope so!  And will be convinced that the scale is broken and give us a monologue on how hard she has worked!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Where did the sister go?  The friend sister?  Mom?  There was a house full of people but now she's alone?  Obviously she doesn't know the meaning of hospice, which is for terminally ill conditions.  She probably meant rehab, which would still be a lie.  She's going to disappear in 4...2...1...

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

That’s me, but pretty much every day. I had my teeth cleaned this afternoon and I decided that that was quite enough for one day. The vacuuming and laundry will just have to wait for tomorrow.

I'm right there with you. Can't afford to over exert myself. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

I am interested in this "do nothing day". Do you have staff to complete the necessary tasks for that day? If so could you send some over to help me clean my kitchen cabinets? Is having two "do nothing days" asking too much?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4