Type keyword(s) to search

Season 12: Live Chat

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

What are those green things on Abi's feet?

They look like pressure cuffs to help prevent blood clots. My dad had something similar after he had kidney surgery last fall because he couldn't walk around much for a few days.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, aliya said:

Is the wife a brain surgeon doing emergency surgery and can't leave a patient? What kind of job won't let you off work for your husband's surgery?

Tons. Mostly hourly wage jobs where they *might* let you take a day off but they won't pay you. I had a cousin that worked in a factory and she got two weeks off a year. Everyone took the same two weeks and the factory closed during that time. If you needed a day off at another time, you might be able to get it approved but you didn't get paid.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Well how wrong you are Missy, this is what happens when you have a social life that is more important than we are! 

We usually do the food drop at my mother's on Tuesdays, solely so I can make the chat on Wednesdays. I was decidedly surly on the way home, watching the clock and thinking "well, maybe I can make the last half hour". 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

He must be in really bad shape since we’ve seen Dr. Now refuse surgery on many patients who couldn’t stand or walk because of blood clot risk. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2

Ugh.  He will need surgery to repair his femur fused to his hip bone.  Guys, that's what seven years of immobility does to you.  If only he focused on getting well after the accident instead of feeling sorry for himself his recovery would have been so much easier... 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

They look like pressure cuffs to help prevent blood clots. My dad had something similar after he had kidney surgery last fall because he couldn't walk around much for a few days.

Wow - those are huge! I had something similar (but a lot less bulky) when I had gallbladder surgery last year. They cycle on and off and once I was in my room and more awake, I got them to take them off.

12 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Hola peeps! Just got in, my brother insisted on taking us out to dinner. 

What'd I miss? Let me guess. Really really loves food. Played football. Mother worked. From a culture where food was really important. Got a job but got too big and had to quit. Dr. Now is his last chance. He really means it this time. He'll show Dr. Now!

You missed some legendary bed sores...if you watch very carefully, you might catch a glimpse!  

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I just went and made a decaf peach tea latte (sorta...I don't have anything to make foamy milk).

I have a cheap hand held milk frother. It has changed my life.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
Just now, aliya said:

Wow - those are huge! I had something similar (but a lot less bulky) when I had gallbladder surgery last year. They cycle on and off and once I was in my room and more awake, I got them to take them off.

They seem to be only on his feet and ankles...my dad's were longer and went from a little below the knee to the ankle.

Just now, Auntie Anxiety said:

I have a cheap hand held milk frother. It has changed my life.

I actually looked at Target the other day but didn't find one.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Those sores are horrific.  

They are life threatening, too.

It sounds like he is physically very challenged. He really can't stand up. A first.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, LizzyB said:

You missed some legendary bed sores...if you watch very carefully, you might catch a glimpse!  

Aw man! I'll have to watch the rerun tomorrow. Good thing Thursday is my Do Nothing Day. 

Just now, Chicklet said:

Pepper you did miss Thor the magnificent PT.

I am very, very saddened by this. I would have enjoyed that. A lot. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, aliya said:

Last year when I had my DaVinci gallbladder surgery, they used those leg things on me.    And when the nurse took me for walkies around the hallway, the CEO was telling me I could do it, and he was right!  (He's a lifelong friend of my lovely neighbors who were so kind to me when I had surgery.)

Abi also had some crud behind his right knee when Dr. Now was looking at his mobility.  

Abi's looking smaller, but Brenda isn't.  Brenda looks so much like Abi's mother. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Sounds like he needs a hip replacement or just gnarly ortho surgery. This will be difficult.

No replacement but surgery might be necessary...  but he needs to start to really move.  He should be doing the exercises all the damn time...   pushing himself.  He is very passive, which is why I am afraid any progress will be undone when he goes home.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I sit down for an hour and my joints are stiff when I get up. Can’t imagine what 7 years will do to you.

Word. I get out of bed in the morning stiff.  I stand for work at my standing desk? Stiff.  I sit instead?  Stiff.  If I didn't work out, I'm SURE I'd be a bit of a mess.  My body is a whiny biatch that doesn't understand what a beautiful ballerina I am on the inside.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

Secret Whole Body Deoderant ad...Looks like the mainstream brands are finally taking on Lume. (Dove has one, too, but they call it "Deo" so I won't be trying it just for that.)

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, aliya said:

Is the wife a brain surgeon doing emergency surgery and can't leave a patient? What kind of job won't let you off work for your husband's surgery?

Gonna guess she never asked for that day off.  The house finally smells like those Yankee Candles she has been furiously burning, for years, to no avail. She's called Thor, who helped her chuck the hospital bed into a Dumpster, and now Thor is "helping her with her exercises." 😎

• LOL 19

It's nice his family came to see him.  That should cheer him up.  He is at 499 now...  but still 150 to go before they think he can walk.  That's a tall order.  I can't see them keeping him in the hospital for a few more months. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

That bastard. 

We've been scammed. 

Right? He takes us out every week, when we drop off the weekly cook for my mother (this week, Provencal tomato and fennel soup, and Greek style shrimp with feta, Kalamata olives and Israeli couscous. And an espresso pumpkin bundt cake). He also provides cash for the food we cook. We all go out and take my 95 year old mother with us, for a treat. She's getting frail but she did great! 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
Just now, LizzyB said:

Gonna guess she never asked for that day off.  The house finally smells like those Yankee Candles she has been furiously burning, for years, to no avail. She's called Thor, who helped her chuck the hospital bed into a Dumpster, and now Thor is "helping her with her exercises." 😎

*cough*  Sex is a weight-bearing exercise. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
Just now, OoogleEyes said:

I'm not even watching anymore. I'll just chat with my Pounders 

I usually just chat and only glance up when something interesting is going on. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, LizzyB said:

Talk about your happy ending 

• LOL 9
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Right? He takes us out every week, when we drop off the weekly cook for my mother (this week, Provencal tomato and fennel soup, and Greek style shrimp with feta, Kalamata olives and Israeli couscous. And an espresso pumpkin bundt cake). He also provides cash for the food we cook. We all go out and take my 95 year old mother with us, for a treat. She's getting frail but she did great! 

So lucky that your mom is still with you ❤️ 💖 💕 

• Love 2

For all his talk of missing home and Brenda, he didn't even smile when Dr. Now told him he is being sent home.   I smell made-for-TV Drrrrrama. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I've known friends who had the 'unfreeze' procedure, under general anesthetic, to break the scar tissue. 

He can do this, he better not let himself down  

Down to 477, down 250 lbs.   130 more to his goal. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

He must be in really bad shape since we’ve seen Dr. Now refuse surgery on many patients who couldn’t stand or walk because of blood clot risk. 

I was going to ask a related question. I know he's made people show they could stand or walk before surgery. But, maybe it's like when he does the lymphedema (right one?) removal first, so the person can get in some activity? Maybe Abi was never going to get out of the bed or qualify for other surgery if he didn't lose weight first. Who knows?

• Like 1

OMG, that all sounds so good! I have been taking meals to my BFF's mom every other Wednesday and I am definitely going to try the Greek style shrimp with feta and the kalamata olives and couscous. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I would do unspeakable things for a piece of that cake right now. 😊

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Eldemarge said:

Guysss I finally got a picture of me and my new man.  I need to dig it up.

I am PANTING to clap an eyeball on this paragon. You'll have to bring him around so we can all get sozzled and demand to know if he's with you for the right reasons or if he's just a dirty rotten scammer who's going to use you and break your heart. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
2 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

What's everyone up to? 

I might be having a panic attack and I don't know if I can drink my tea now.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, CSunshine76 said:

So Abi’s mom made it from Puerto Rico to Houston, but his wife can’t make it from Austin? I think she’s enjoying her newfound freedom!

I get the huge guilt trip she felt after he got into an accident on his way to propose, so she stayed with him and waited on him, but now that she has been away from him, she probably realized just how bad he has let himself go and how he is not really who she thought he was...  I wouldn't blame her if she decides she gives up.  But given his progress, I would give him a chance.  But not cave in to his demands.  He is bed-bound, he will only eat what is brought to him.  

• Like 9

The EMTs had way easier time moving him and he didn't screech and cuss either.  That's progress.  Don't give it up, Abi!!!

• Like 7
  • Applause 2