Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/11/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, March 11 – Busy Philipps (“Girls5eva”)

Tuesday, March 12 – Tamron Hall (host, “Tamron Hall,” and author, “Watch Where They Hide”); Patton Oswalt (“Manhunt”)

Wednesday, March 13 – The Political View with Gov. Kathy Hochul (D-N.Y.)

Thursday, March 14 – Ice-T (“Law & Order: Special Victims Unit”)

Friday, March 15 – Theresa Caputo (“Theresa Caputo: Raising Spirits”)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've taken a break from my favorite political shows and started watching Perry Mason reruns.  So fun to see future stars appear when they were just starting out. Last night, according to the guide, one of the stars was Anna Navarro, who was playing the murderer.  Imagine my surprise when TPTB has a photo of Ana Navarro!  Since the episode was from 1958, I knew it was not The View star!

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
17 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Did anyone else notice that as soon as the show started, Whoopi prompted Sara to bring up the all about Whoopi topic. 🙄

Just warming up for Tamron. Unfortunately Patton dared to contradict the all knowing Whoopi. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Did anyone else notice that as soon as the show started, Whoopi prompted Sara to bring up the all about Whoopi topic. 🙄

well, she is Whoopi's favorite topic, so not surprised

• Like 3

The story about Whoopi reading to her great(?) granddaughter's class and talking about dyslexia was fine, but then she had to link it to Donald Trump, and I think that cheapened the nice story about the kids and overcoming reading difficulties by making it look like a set-up instead of a story by itself. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Just warming up for Tamron. Unfortunately Patton dared to contradict the all knowing Whoopi. 

Ugh I didn't get to see that because my local channel had technical difficulties as soon as hot topics was over...Did he get the "Come back anytime" treatment?

15 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Ugh I didn't get to see that because my local channel had technical difficulties as soon as hot topics was over...Did he get the "Come back anytime" treatment?

I don’t know. Probably.

6 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Yes. He suggested he come back and co-host, Whoopi seemed to imply she'd make that happen.

(edited)

Whoopi, All-Knowing Pontificator, explained to the panel that both DOGS (animals) and STUNTPEOPLE received Oscars this year...just not at the main event.  They received them at an earlier time.  NOTE: They did not,

Here's information from the 'net, somewhat more reliable than Ms. Goldberg,  "Stunts have long been an underappreciated part of Hollywood history, and in recent years, more and more filmmakers have spoken out to ask the Oscars to recognize them publicly. Earlier this year, the Academy announced plans to add its first new category in more than 20 years, honoring casting directors but not stunts."

Apparently the same goes for dogs/animals.   "While animal actors have never received an Academy Award, there have been cases where animals have been showcased on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, such as Lassie, Kermit the Frog, Donald Duck, and Godzilla. It's probably a long shot that an animal will be featured or even nominated for an Academy Award any time soon," Whoopi.

ETA:  I bet the ladies at the table dare NOT bring any corrections to Whoopi's attention.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Whoopi, All-Knowing Pontificator, explained to the panel that both DOGS (animals) and STUNTPEOPLE received Oscars this year...just not at the main event.  They received them at an earlier time.  NOTE: They did not,

Here's information from the 'net, somewhat more reliable than Ms. Goldberg,  "Stunts have long been an underappreciated part of Hollywood history, and in recent years, more and more filmmakers have spoken out to ask the Oscars to recognize them publicly. Earlier this year, the Academy announced plans to add its first new category in more than 20 years, honoring casting directors but not stunts."

Apparently the same goes for dogs/animals.   "While animal actors have never received an Academy Award, there have been cases where animals have been showcased on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, such as Lassie, Kermit the Frog, Donald Duck, and Godzilla. It's probably a long shot that an animal will be featured or even nominated for an Academy Award any time soon," Whoopi.

ETA:  I bet the ladies at the table dare NOT bring any corrections to Whoopi's attention.

🤣🤣 Whoopi is the queen of tall-tales. She might as well have said that her ex-boyfriend, who is 40 years older than her, was in charge of presenting those awards to the dogs and stunt people.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 11

I totally agree about Whoopi. What does she even bring to the show? I love Friday’s the best because Joy is a good moderator and she is engaged. What do people on this forum think would happen if Whoopi decided to retire? Would the ratings fall off that much? Maybe her benefit to the show is they can get bookings that they wouldn’t otherwise get? 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

She dated boyfriend Frank Langella when she was 40 and he was nearly 20 yrs older. He is still alive, but doesn't dye his hair, so maybe that is who she was thinking of in her convoluted mind. 

7 minutes ago, Denize said:

She dated boyfriend Frank Langella when she was 40 and he was nearly 20 yrs older. He is still alive, but doesn't dye his hair, so maybe that is who she was thinking of in her convoluted mind. 

I’d forgotten about that!

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/773158-whoopi-goldberg-boyfriend-40-year-age-gap-older-pop-culture-news

Her granddaughter apparently had the details.

33 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

I totally agree about Whoopi. What does she even bring to the show? I love Friday’s the best because Joy is a good moderator and she is engaged. What do people on this forum think would happen if Whoopi decided to retire? Would the ratings fall off that much? Maybe her benefit to the show is they can get bookings that they wouldn’t otherwise get? 

I don't think the ratings would take a hit.  Some people might come on because of her but the IMO the quality of guests has declined.  There will always be A listers who are regulars like Jennifer Lopez but back in the day they had a lot more A listers.  

• Like 3

Is John the billionaire really still alive at 108? 

I think some people might tune in just to see Whoopi, but will lose interest after a few shows once they realize that her comments will be like groundhog day every day until the elections are over.

• Like 2

Regarding Sara's take on Hur being fair in his congressional appearance  because both sides were angry with him, how naive can one be? One side was attacking him for lying, the other for not lying enough! That's what is wrong with the "both sides" journalism. The truth is no longer important.

• Like 14
(edited)
18 hours ago, heart2hearttime said:

Regarding Sara's take on Hur being fair in his congressional appearance  because both sides were angry with him, how naive can one be? One side was attacking him for lying, the other for not lying enough! That's what is wrong with the "both sides" journalism. The truth is no longer important.

You say that like Sara is a journalist. 🤣

To answer Joy’s question about “you know who” flip flopping about TikTok, she only need google. Rachel Maddow discussed this.

Sunny looks like she’s auditioning for a drag show. The eye makeup!  Yikes!

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 3/13/2024 at 8:49 AM, HerkyJerky said:

I like Whoopi.  I think she's funny. She brings a certain cranky old lady vibe that I connect with 🙂.  And to me she's an icon.   However, I get why others view her differently than I.   Is Whoopi the best moderator....probably not.  But I don't think Joy is a great moderator either.   She tends to cut off discussion too quickly to insert a joke.   If Whoopi left, I would love to see them go back to a journalist in the moderator role.

I don't agree with any of the ladies 100% of the time, but for me this is the best panel chemistry they've had in many many years.   

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
16 hours ago, After7Only said:

I don't agree with any of the ladies 100% of the time, but for me this is the best panel chemistry they've had in many many years.   

I agree with this.  We know that Joy and Whoopi are genuine friends.  Joy and Sunny go shopping together.  Sara and Alyssa have done some couple things with their husbands. And Ana seems to have softened towards Alyssa.  There doesn't seem to be tension at the table the way there was when MM was there.  I remember watching those shows and being happy when MM didn't walk out.  She really brought the show down.

• Like 12

On Friday's show with the interview with Theresa Caputo, Joy asked can you locate people too? Joy did not specify living or dead. Anna immediately cut in with "Who do you want to locate?" I thought it was a good question to ask especially more for the dead. Why was it not answered?

2 hours ago, js9548 said:

On Friday's show with the interview with Theresa Caputo, Joy asked can you locate people too? Joy did not specify living or dead. Anna immediately cut in with "Who do you want to locate?" I thought it was a good question to ask especially more for the dead. Why was it not answered?

Because Joy piped in with a joke, asking "Where is Princess Kate"?  I thot that was funny

• Like 4

I was disappointed that The View gave Theresa Caputo exposure today. I realize that ABC and Lifetime, the network showing her new series, are connected through their corporate owners, so maybe this segment was non-negotiable. But the readings for Sunny and Ana (both celebrities with lots of writing by and about them) were taped beforehand, and we don't know what editing had been done. How many questions were asked but not aired that neither host responded to positively?  Although Sunny insisted that Caputo knew something she had never told anyone, Caputo framed the first questions very generally, and could read Sunny's reactions to narrow them down. Sunny herself gave the specifics about what her grandmother meant when she said it was OK, or something to that effect.

I believe Sunny and Ana's tears were very real. Who wouldn't react emotionally when talking about the subject of beloved family members' deaths? Who wouldn't want to be reassured that their dead loved one still cared about them?

The panel always has a legal note when statements are made that politicians are legally contesting. I wish the same kind of "skeptic's note" had been made at the end of this segment.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I never heard of that lady before, but I turned off the show as soon as her segment began. Definitely disappointing that ABC would give a platform to a bullshit artist like her. 

• Like 5

Regarding psychics, I know there are a lot of fakers out there, but there are many who are not fakers, IMO.  I've never seen Theresa Caputo's show, so I can't speak to whether she's legit or not, but I believe some people have the gift.  I've read too much on the subject to think otherwise.

7 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Because Joy piped in with a joke, asking "Where is Princess Kate"?  I thot that was funny

Lol, Joy cracks me up.  

• Like 3
On 3/13/2024 at 6:49 AM, HerkyJerky said:

What do people on this forum think would happen if Whoopi decided to retire?

Apparently she can't "afford" to retire because she continues to support her entire family. Maybe when she's at work they don't bother her for help, handouts, jobs, etc.  I've read that the top brass at Disney LOVE her, so she's not goin' anywhere.  

18 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:
On 3/14/2024 at 2:20 PM, After7Only said:

I agree with this.  We know that Joy and Whoopi are genuine friends.  Joy and Sunny go shopping together.  Sara and Alyssa have done some couple things with their husbands. And Ana seems to have softened towards Alyssa.  There doesn't seem to be tension at the table the way there was when MM was there.  I remember watching those shows and being happy when MM didn't walk out.  She really brought the show down.

I think there's still tension between Sunny and Alyssa (jealousy on Sunny's part). Sunny may be an attorney (we hear it daily), but Alyssa's smarts and government experience allow her to hold her own.  She continues to get spots on the political shows to give her opinion.  Sunny doesn't.  The show just featured Alyssa's interview/photo in the New York Times.  Has Sunny had the same?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I think there's still tension between Sunny and Alyssa (jealousy on Sunny's part). Sunny may be an attorney (we hear it daily), but Alyssa's smarts and government experience allow her to hold her own.  She continues to get spots on the political shows to give her opinion.  Sunny doesn't.  The show just featured Alyssa's interview/photo in the New York Times.  Has Sunny had the same?

Agree. Plus the fact that Alyssa isn't intimidated by Sunny makes it even better.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
On 3/13/2024 at 9:49 AM, HerkyJerky said:

Nothing.  People would just have someone new to complain about.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

There was a really uncomfortable time a while back when Sunny was really rude to Alyssa on a regular basis.  Then, on social media, there was a backlash towards Sunny, with tons of people saying Sunny was envious of Alyssa, i.e. youth, beauty, gig with CNN, etc.  (Maybe the powers that be spoke with Sunny or she just realized she'd better get on board.)  Almost overnight, Sunny started being civil to Alyssa, and now things are more agreeable, although Sunny still rarely looks at Alyssa when she (Sunny) is responding to her, although to be fair, she'd have to turn her head at an angle, so that could be part of it.  I think Sunny wants to give the impression she likes Alyssa because she woke up to the fact that Alyssa is popular with the viewers.  And yes, that New York Times article on Alyssa must have annoyed Sunny big time.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

What is the deal with Theresa Caputo’s hair?  Just asking.

I wondered about that, too. I've seen pictures of her before, and her hair was always pouffed up, but the hair on the show was exceptionally high, and IMO not really attractive. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Axie said:
On 3/13/2024 at 6:49 AM, HerkyJerky said:

Nothing.  People would just have someone new to complain about.

Not really.   For me, I'd think, "Hmmm...does this mean there IS a god?"

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

I think the big hair and long nails, sometimes along with her flashy clothing choices, are a way to distract, or maybe intimidate, the person she is reading. She speaks fast, she constantly says "you understand?" with an air of demanding, not really asking, if they understand.

Besides, she has become known for her big hair. It identifies her.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I wondered about that, too. I've seen pictures of her before, and her hair was always pouffed up, but the hair on the show was exceptionally high, and IMO not really attractive. 

DEFINITELY not attractive.  Bizarre way to get attention?  Her face is so pretty but that hair is a Dumb Distraction.  I think people like Theresa take advantage of gullible or superstitious others...but if she wants to be taken seriously, LOOSE THE LOOK.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Maybe it helps her hear the spirits. You know, like closer to God?  😜

• Applause 1
  • LOL 7
25 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Maybe it helps her hear the spirits. You know, like closer to God?  😜

Or, the spirits are trapped in there.  When she’s doing a reading maybe the voices she hears are the spirits screaming to be rescued.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Am I  the  only one who wasn't aware that Sunny was offered her own show if she moved to LA?  Surely the equally brilliant Manny could have easily found employment if they had chosen to relocate. I don't recall her discussing this in the past but maybe I missed it.  I saw her comment as her never-ending way of trying to one up everyone else on the panel.  She's the perpetual legend in her own mind.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Badbea99 said:

Am I  the  only one who wasn't aware that Sunny was offered her own show if she moved to LA

Heard her say it before but I can’t remember if it was on the actual show or on the behind-the-scenes podcast.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Badbea99 said:

I saw her comment as her never-ending way of trying to one up everyone else on the panel.  She's the perpetual legend in her own mind.

Isn't it sad-ish?  Still, she was born/raised in New York and (probably) at the time all her close relatives were still alive and (maybe) living with her.  L.A. would have required moving EVERYONE.  

A female in my social circle 1960s to late 80s was very talented and accomplished, yet she found it necessary to brag about herself and embellish her "resume."  Another in our group said, "A discussion with (insert her name here) is always another episode of 'Can You Top This'."

NOTE:  Can You Top This? was an audience-participation show, created by veteran vaudeville comedian "Senator" Edward Ford. During a joke-swapping session at a New York theatrical club, Ford conceived of a radio show where comedians would try to top each other. Can You Top This? debuted on WOR/New York in 1940.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

"A discussion with (insert her poster's name here) is always another episode of 'Can You Top This'."

Hmm. Funny how that's what this forum seems to be too about Sunny. 😋

• Applause 1
On 3/12/2024 at 9:40 AM, cinsays said:
On 3/12/2024 at 9:17 AM, Blissfool said:

well, she is Whoopi's favorite topic, so not surprised

Quiet, sweet Sara is VERY stealth-strategic.