Type keyword(s) to search

Deal or No Deal Island Discussion: Let's see what's on the Board

• Start Topic

(edited)

A place to discuss the show that melds Deal or No Deal and Survivor:  Luxury Island.  Hey look!  There's Joe Manganiello.  

Moderators, please delete if this thread belongs elsewhere. 

The premiere was good, not great.  The biggest problem I had with it was it dragged.  I'm hoping that future episodes will be 60 minutes and not 90.  If they continue the format from tonight, the first half will place the contestants in a Survivor like challenge.  The second half adds to the Deal or No Deal format by placing additional pressure on the contestant in the briefcase challenge, in the form of peer pressure from the other contestants.  

I immediately liked Aron tonight, so I'm happy he stayed.   He and Boston Rob are the only two I can name.  The two other memorable contestants were the older woman and the former briefcase model (not, btw, the Duchess of Sussex).  Felt bad for the guy who went home, but he violated a cardinal rule of competitive reality shows and did something early on to make himself standout in a negative way.  

It probably would be more fun if they added a few more Boston Robs, ala the first season of The Traitors.  At least IMHO. 

Edited by Thalia
  • Like 1

I watched this solely because of Boston Rob.  I unapologetically love him as a reality competitor even though I didn't like him on his first season of Survivor.  I like that he understands strategy and social interactions.  I thought the show had some good twists-and I felt the tension as Aron got close to the end of his deals.  

I also liked Claudia (the former suitcase model) and hope she stays around.  I found it interesting that Stephanie (?) lied to Boston Rob for no reason when he was trying to help her.  Save the lies for when they are needed-it's not good to expose oneself when there is no reason for doing so.

I'm in for now.  In the previews it looks like there will be several twists throughout the season.  

• Like 9

I kind of half watched this last night.  I dunno if it's something I'll stick with.  I came for Boston Rob.  But I didn't understand his beef with Stephanie.  (half watching)  It seemed like she told him that case was 600K and he was mad she had a bigger case.  But that didn't make sense.  If she's giving you the 600K OF COURSE she has more.  She's not going to give you something to put you in a better position than her.  So I feel like I must have missed something.   It would be different if you had to stick with the first case you touched.  Then you'd be helping someone and hoping for a payback.  But that wasn't the case, so I don't understand.  

No, she told him that she had a lower value case than what it actually was (at the reveal we saw it was 600,000).  He had found a case that was higher than what she said she had and offered it to her.  He was trying to help her (to gain an ally no doubt) and didn't understand why she lied to him.

• Like 1

I never did understand the show!  I had company so that contributed to that.  Boston Rob needs to get to a gym..fast.  I can't believe he came on the show looking like that.  He's a popular young man and I'm sure he had months to prepare!

That poor lady stuck in the mud was not entertaining.  

I'll watch number two but don't give this show much hope.

I wish they would just bring back the original Deal or No Deal!

How come Howie didn't host?

1 minute ago, Jeanne222 said:

I never did understand the show!  I had company so that contributed to that.  Boston Rob needs to get to a gym..fast.  I can't believe he came on the show looking like that.  He's a popular young man and I'm sure he had months to prepare!

That poor lady stuck in the mud was not entertaining.  

I'll watch number two but don't give this show much hope.

I wish they would just bring back the original Deal or No Deal!

How come Howie didn't host?

I can’t see germaphobe Howe on an island.   As for Boston Rob….he always beefed up before going on Survivor knowing they would be losing weight on the show….maybe he thought it would be the same here?

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
4 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I can’t see germaphobe Howe on an island.   As for Boston Rob….he always beefed up before going on Survivor knowing they would be losing weight on the show….maybe he thought it would be the same here?

I forgot about Howie and the germs.  No he's surely not going to make that trip!  Lol

• Like 2

Boston Rob already cracking me up with his game play and mind games with Aron ("so , who are WE eliminating?")  Never change, sir, never change.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Boston Rob already cracking me up with his game play and mind games with Aron ("so , who are WE eliminating?")  Never change, sir, never change.

And when Brantzen jumped into the mud, Boston Rob immediately whispered to some of the others:  "wow, look at him.  He wants to steal your money.  I'm not saying he should be eliminated, but, you know, maybe you should."   or something close to that.  😀

• Like 2
(edited)

Hmmm… idk what to think about this show. I like it, but the references to making a “good deal” vs a “bad deal” irritate me. Since you have no idea what’s in your case, oftentimes taking a deal is the better move even if in the end you have a higher-value case. For example, I’d rather have a guaranteed $300,000 than a 1-in-3 shot at a million but the other 2 cases are like $75 and $250. A high, guaranteed payout is worth more in this scenario and taking the deal is better than risking it and walking away with almost nothing, even if it turns out your case had the million. Not so in this show however.  You pretty much have to keep opening cases because if you don’t and you have the top prize left on the board in your case, you are automatically eliminated. The whole “good deal” vs “bad deal” reference ignores this logic by focusing entirely on whether the money in your case happened to be more than the deal you took.  Since you have no idea what is inside your case apart from opening more cases, that’s silly to me.

I would hate when Howie would tell people they made a “great deal” at the end of the show because sometimes taking the guaranteed money is still better than taking a big risk, hoping for a giant payout but also leaving a healthy chance of walking away with a pittance. 

The format of the show doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. I’d rather watch Deal or No Deal straight up. 

Edited by me5671
1 hour ago, me5671 said:

Hmmm… idk what to think about this show. I like it, but the references to making a “good deal” vs a “bad deal” irritate me. Since you have no idea what’s in your case, oftentimes taking a deal is the better move even if in the end you have a higher-value case. For example, I’d rather have a guaranteed $300,000 than a 1-in-3 shot at a million but the other 2 cases are like $75 and $250. A high, guaranteed payout is worth more in this scenario and taking the deal is better than risking it and walking away with almost nothing, even if it turns out your case had the million. Not so in this show however.  You pretty much have to keep opening cases because if you don’t and you have the top prize left on the board in your case, you are automatically eliminated. The whole “good deal” vs “bad deal” reference ignores this logic by focusing entirely on whether the money in your case happened to be more than the deal you took.  Since you have no idea what is inside your case apart from opening more cases, that’s silly to me.

I would hate when Howie would tell people they made a “great deal” at the end of the show because sometimes taking the guaranteed money is still better than taking a big risk, hoping for a giant payout but also leaving a healthy chance of walking away with a pittance. 

The format of the show doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. I’d rather watch Deal or No Deal straight up. 

But didn’t Joe explain that if you take a deal that is less than what is 8n the suitcase, you are eliminated?

• Like 2
15 hours ago, DEL901 said:

But didn’t Joe explain that if you take a deal that is less than what is 8n the suitcase, you are eliminated?

Yes, and the way I understood it, *you* don't get what's in the case, it gets added to the pot for whomever wins in the end.  So even if you make a "good deal" you don't get that money and have to hope to get to the end to get any money.

• Like 4

I just watched the second episode and am really liking Claudia.  Loved that she spotted that Kim's faux crying did not include any tears.  She knows the game and seems very savvy strategically.  If she and Rob team together for a while I think it could be a master class of strategy.

Even though Rob was disappointed to be paired with Aron in the challenge, Aron got Rob as many arrows as he needed for them to win the challenge.  Rob does have nerves of steel-well done.

It will be interesting to see how alliances form and shift from this point.  And, I think they are getting too excited about how much money will be in the final case as the finalist may only win $.01 if they choose the wrong case or the wrong deal.

I think the better play for Kim would have been to align with Rob and then take him out towards the end.  We shall see.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

think the better play for Kim would have been to align with Rob and then take him out towards the end.  We shall see.

I think that ship has sailed.  She came on too strong too quick, put a big target on her back.  I'm not sure about this show yet, its kind of a filler for me at this point.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I just watched the second episode and am really liking Claudia.  Loved that she spotted that Kim's faux crying did not include any tears. 

That was hilarious!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I've seen enough of Kim that I hope she fails in a spectacular fashion.  I don't want someone else to win a deal and vote her out.  I want her to fail herself, in a huge and hopefully hilarious way.

I like Claudia.  I like Rob but I don't want him to win another game. I want someone unknown to win.  But if he can sail to the end and help that other person, whoever it is, win, the more the better.

• Like 4

I have mixed feelings about Rob.  I like him and enjoy watching him play.  But it feels like he should be on an 'elite' version with other massive game players.  It was like when I first tried to learn to play bridge, and was told I should know every play I'd make one the cards are dealt.  That's how far ahead he is looking, not just making it to the next play.  

My problem with this game scenario is there's no weekly payoff for the 'winner' other than not going home.  Adding to the group pot only comes in if they make it to be the last player.

• Like 5

When reading the forum last night, I realized that Rob is really the reason I'm watching this show at all.  Wasn't interested in it until I heard he was on it and I enjoy watching his strategic and social game.  Rob knows (and probably knew going in) that there's a target on his back and I enjoy watching him try to put the target elsewhere.  Otherwise, I'm not quite sure I would be that interested in this show.  A bunch of people I'm not that interested in (outside of Claudia) with a premise that doesn't always depend on strategy but rather luck (how much is in your suitcase? No way of really knowing) whereas other shows depend more on the strategy.  I see how alliances could endanger people by being selected to go home if the suitcase guesser wins the round but it still seems haphazard.

• Like 5

I'm still not sure how I feel about the mechanics of the game. It seems like luxury-Survivor with a game show at the end of it.

Not quite sure how I feel about the concept, specifically the game show at the end of it.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I don't see why people should be 'crying' to go up against the banker. Isnt' that why they signed up for the show?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, jabRI said:

I don't see why people should be 'crying' to go up against the banker. Isnt' that why they signed up for the show?

They just want to go up against the banker at the end when you have a chance to win money.   If you go up in the earlier stages, you will be sent home if you accept a deal for less than is in your case.  

• Like 2

I've watched all three episodes, and the show is a kooky mashup of Survivor and Deal or No Deal.  The premise sort of works.

It's entertaining enough, thanks largely to Boston Rob.

I did have to laugh when they discussed Claudia's experience with Deal or No Deal.  As though experience in a game of chance gives you any advantage.

• Like 7

I am sorry to see Claudia go as I had been enjoying her on this show.  I hope many good career opportunities come her way.  She and Rob brought the entertainment factor.  However, I kind of wonder what the incentive for staying on this show is outside of becoming better known.  At least on Survivor and other shows, the longer one stays, they more money they 'earn' even if they don't win.  

And, the type of 'value added to the final case' is kind of pointless as there will be 19 other cases on the 'board' all of lesser value.  The commercials leading into this show were also a bit misleading in that they touted 'cases over $200,000,000' when that it the total value of all cases throughout the competition and there will be only one final case with the total of all that had been previously 'won.'  At least on Survivor the winner knows they will win 1 million dollars-what if the winner of this show ends up with the case worth $.01?

Anyway, I will continue to watch (at least until Rob leaves...).

• Like 6

This was a fun episode.  I've been so impressed with Boston Rob's machinations that I am going to seek out his Survivor episodes.  

Aaron lucked out the day he rode in with Boston Rob.  And although Aaron is the opposite of a comp beast (a comp milquetoast?), if he drags him to the end, Rob has almost a 100% chance of winning.  And, actually I'm happy for Aaron.  He's so sweet and I was worried that he would be voted out in the first episode.  

• Like 6

How exactly does someone win the game in the end? Once they're down to two or three people (or whatever the final number of people will be), how is the winner determined?

2 hours ago, Thalia said:

This was a fun episode.  I've been so impressed with Boston Rob's machinations that I am going to seek out his Survivor episodes.  

In Rob's first season of Survivor (Vanuta?  Something like that [it may have been season 4]), he arrived ready to work hard and survive.  But, he realized that the majority of the tribe didn't want to work so he changed his game plan immediately.  That's one thing I really like about him-he understands the motivations of other players and that he needs to adjust his game plan (he really didn't like it in a later season when he had to then plan around hidden immunity idols as others had experience playing with them and he didn't so he had to 'catch up' on that strategy).  He also does/did well physically during challenges.  I like him a lot, but there are quite a few people who don't like him.

• Like 7
(edited)
11 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

In Rob's first season of Survivor (Vanuta?  Something like that [it may have been season 4]), he arrived ready to work hard and survive.  But, he realized that the majority of the tribe didn't want to work so he changed his game plan immediately.  That's one thing I really like about him-he understands the motivations of other players and that he needs to adjust his game plan (he really didn't like it in a later season when he had to then plan around hidden immunity idols as others had experience playing with them and he didn't so he had to 'catch up' on that strategy).  He also does/did well physically during challenges.  I like him a lot, but there are quite a few people who don't like him.

I like that he knows it is a game and doesn’t take game moves personally and expects the same in return.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

I can see that he's cocky, and that might turn off some people.  But cocky is good with me if a) you're a good player and can back it up; b) if it combined with humor.  "I've still got it" for example.  He said it with humor and the recognition that he IS good at these kind of games.  He certainly takes up a lot of camera time, but it looks like even Joe M. is kind of star struck around him. 

Speaking of camera time:  there was a woman during the suitcase portion who had long reddish hair. I would swear she hadn't been on my tv screen before that moment.  I have no idea who she is. 

• Like 6

This show may be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen, so of course I’ll watch it to the bitter end. 

I really liked Claudia at first, but then she got into Rob’s inner circle and started acting like Queen Bee of the popular crowd. I didn’t like her mean girl tactics toward Kim, who is doing nothing other than playing a game and not falling under Rob’s spell, for which I commend her. I was glad to see Claudia and her inflated ego walk away.

I love Boston Rob, always have. ( @Thalia, if you only watch one of his Survivor seasons, make it the All Stars one where he met “Am-buh”—he’s at his peak there, with athletic prowess, charm, and cheeky manipulation powers on full tilt.) But I will never understand how he continues to get people to bow down to him and do his bidding, even though they know (or should know) what he’s doing. It’s really something. And the fact that Kim is able to not only resist it, but push back, makes me like her all the more. I also started appreciating Stephanie (I think that was her name, the one who didn’t go along with the group plan) for her refusal to play by the Robfather’s rules.

As for Howie Mandel, this is pure speculation on my part, but if he’s not revealed to be the Banker on the yacht at the end of the season, I’ll eat one of Boston Rob’s t-shirts. You know, the ones he’s refusing to wear. (Seriously, dude, cover up. You’re not in Marquesas any more.)

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

I don’t like situations where a bunch of people target one person especially an older woman. Kim is playing the game like everyone else. I’m not sure I like the idea of the person beating the banker getting to choose someone to leave the game. Sure they vote people off on Survivor but at least you have chances to win challenges, find idols or win something to help you stay in the game. I liked Claudia on the original show but that doesn’t mean she is queen bee here.

• Like 2

My prediction... Kim did not deny what she said, but said she only told one person. Rob said he heard it from many people.  Kim and Rob will pair up to get rid of sneaky red head next?

37 minutes ago, preeya said:

How many reality shows does Boston Rob have to manipulate before people stop actively helping him win?

I think part of it is that they think that he won't be able to manipulate them.  Rob is really good at reading people so he figures out who will work with him and who won't and then starts undermining those who won't.  I think Claudia is a good example in that she claims (during her exit interview referenced above) she has never watched him on Survivor, just heard about him from other participants on Deal, and wasn't an ally with him.  Yet, she ended up being an ally and it seems like she didn't even realize it-yep, Rob just is that good...

• Like 3

Remember the time Rob convinced everyone on the Amazing Race to not eat some gross meat? He couldn’t get whatever it was down & chose to take the penalty, I think two hours of sitting before continuing on. Everyone who came to the challenge after him ended up joining him & Amber, just waiting. His power of persuasion at its best. So I don’t think not knowing him from Survivor matters much, he’s able to read people quite well. I enjoy watching him, so as long as he’s there, I’ll keep watching. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Remember the time Rob convinced everyone on the Amazing Race to not eat some gross meat? He couldn’t get whatever it was down & chose to take the penalty, I think two hours of sitting before continuing on. Everyone who came to the challenge after him ended up joining him & Amber, just waiting. His power of persuasion at its best. So I don’t think not knowing him from Survivor matters much, he’s able to read people quite well. I enjoy watching him, so as long as he’s there, I’ll keep watching. 

He did something similar on Survivor. The opposing alliance on Survivor had caught a lot of fish and they were willing to share. Rob convinced his alliance that the fish was bad and they shouldn't eat it, and Rob's alliance didn't eat the fish. Rob was reveling in the fact that he has these people under control.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 1

Wow.  I just caught the very end of ep4, so maybe I'm wrong, and I never agree when people say a result is manipulated by the producers, but I'm calling it this time.  Every other time, the banker's deal is midway between the numbers left on the board.  This time, it was 9 and 3.  Totally ridiculous and way too easy for Rob to take the deal and stay in the game.  Someone talk me out of this, because I'm pissed.

(edited)
7 hours ago, Johannah said:

Wow.  I just caught the very end of ep4, so maybe I'm wrong, and I never agree when people say a result is manipulated by the producers, but I'm calling it this time.  Every other time, the banker's deal is midway between the numbers left on the board.  This time, it was 9 and 3.  Totally ridiculous and way too easy for Rob to take the deal and stay in the game.  Someone talk me out of this, because I'm pissed.

If I remember correctly, the offer on the original show was usually somewhere in the range of the average dollar value of the cases. In this case, that would have been around $90,000, so the $49,000 offer was actually kind of weak. For the purpose of this game, any offer between $751 and $99,999 gave Rob the same chance of winning.

On the original, it was bad opening up big dollar cases because your final offer would be much less. However, on this show, opening up the high cases is actually a big advantage for the player's survival in the game. Rob's ended up with a 75% chance of having a lower dollar case.

Of course, eliminating the high dollar values is bad for adding to the final case, but that's of minimal concern for the player just trying to survive.

Edited by Badlands
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Badlands said:

If I remember correctly, the offer on the original show was usually somewhere in the range of the average dollar value of the cases. In this case, that would have been around $90,000, so the $49,000 offer was actually kind of weak. For the purpose of this game, any offer between $751 and $99,999 gave Rob the same chance of winning.

On the original, it was bad opening up big dollar cases because your final offer would be much less. However, on this show, opening up the high cases is actually a big advantage for the player's survival in the game. Rob's ended up with a 75% chance of having a lower dollar case.

Of course, eliminating the high dollar values is bad for adding to the final case, but that's of minimal concern for the player just trying to survive.

Right.  Since the actual dollar value is inconsequential in this version, the banker's offer should fall in the middle of the numbers left on the board, not the middle of the values.  Different game here.

Something else I find amusing..  when people are eliminated in a game where eliminations are determined by other players, they say it's because they were a threat or the other person/players were afraid of them. Okay, if that makes you feel better about being voted out, but sometimes it's just because they don't like you.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Well, Amy's drama came out of left field-hadn't seen any indication of that before this episode.  During Rob's Deal or No Deal segment I found myself wondering if I would continue watching this if Rob left-I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.  

Oh, and Joe's whole 'do you try to stay or do you try to increase the value of the final case' spiel totally doesn't work here.  Of course, someone like Rob will understand that the important thing is to stay.  However, I think some of the players would have rejected the $49,000 as being too low to make a deal, but the value of the remaining cases was low.  Even in the original version of the show people kept playing longer than they should have as they tended to want higher offers, etc.

Good-bye Kim and I don't know if Rob found you a strategic threat or was just tired of you.  Don't worry though, as it seems like Amy has volunteered to continue putting the target on Rob.

• Like 1

I wanted Kim gone but I wanted it to be by her own hand, not someone putting her out because that makes her the victim.  I wanted her to put herself out for the entertainment value.  But she's out so I guess it's all good.  There are a couple people on those bleachers I'm not sure I've ever seen before.  We need to spread out the camera time on some other people.

• Like 4
On 3/19/2024 at 6:24 AM, seacliffsal said:

During Rob's Deal or No Deal segment I found myself wondering if I would continue watching this if Rob left-I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.  

I think I'd be out, as the entertainment value he adds to the game is what is making me watch.  His powers of manipulation persuasion are truly amazing.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3

I don't think Rob actually saw Kim as a threat.  Rather it strengthened his hand to show that 'if you come after the king you better not miss'.  I remember on the Amazing Race a team wrote a blistering letter on why they were u-turning Rob and Amber and they just looked at each other, 'do you know who that is? no idea'.   Point is Rob does not think about people very much, just the game.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I actually think it was a real coup to get Rob on this show.  Whether one likes him or not (and I like him), he keeps the game going.  He thinks strategically which means others have to think strategically as well (even though they don't always do so).  He also puts focus on other players so involves them more in the game.  As he said at the end-he didn't really think Kim was a threat to him but he needed to follow through with eliminating her in order to show his trustworthiness (heh) and keep himself in the game.  

I really don't think I would have even wathced this show in the first place if he wasn't in the cast.  I was already tired of original recipe Deal or No Deal and am not impressed with the changes they made for this show.  The gameplay among the contestants is the most interesting part to me.

• Like 11
15 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I really don't think I would have even wathced this show in the first place if he wasn't in the cast.  I was already tired of original recipe Deal or No Deal and am not impressed with the changes they made for this show.  The gameplay among the contestants is the most interesting part to me.

Agree...only watching for Rob.  Love the first half of the game, but the briefcase portion is a snooze-fest. Thank goodness for my fast-forward button.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1