Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men'97

• Start Topic

(edited)

That was a lot for a casual fan that doesn't know all the characters. I had to do a lot of pausing when all the names were mentioned. nbd though. I'm not complaining. 

The assault was wild. I was really on the edge of my seat. I don't know who the Morlocks are, but it looked like a big deal that Gambit blew in to get them out of there. Although, it's interesting that they seemed like a lower class (the name isn't lost on me) when X and Magneto are all talking about equality and 'our people'. 

I didn't get quite what was going on in the astral plane with Pryor and Jean, but I was wondering why Scott wasn't angling for a threesome (joking). 

Legit question though - Cable was running around before the attack and called Pryor 'mom'. Was he supposed to be Nathan from the future? She acted like she knew him already though. 

"Remember it" is just total BAMF. 

The show has really been bringing it. I'm a casual fan, as I said before, and it hasn't been hard for me to get invested in the characters. 

90s fun - the song Magneto and Rogue were floating around and dancing to could have totally been an Ace of Base song. I totally hope that was deliberate. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
8 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know who the Morlocks are,

They live in the sewers and are mutants who can’t hide that they are mutants.

9 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Legit question though - Cable was running around before the attack and called Pryor 'mom'. Was he supposed to be Nathan from the future?

Yes.

• Like 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

She acted like she knew him already though. 

Jean met Cable during the original series. She even scanned his mind and an image of her and Scott came up, so it's hinted she figured out his origin.  She tells Scott that he's very important to their future and naturally he has no followup questions, so it's never mentioned again.

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's what I figured when I said the term wasn't lost on me. However, I think my follow on point is apt about class. 

They lived as a tight community, not used to trust others. It's IMO understandable that they would keep themselves separated at first even in a mutant-only country. People still form their own groups in every equal society.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 3/21/2024 at 2:11 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I guess I'll sit at my table for one preferring the original animation.

I'll be at the table with you.  This new animation is just the next level of Archer.  Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's super clunky and I hate it.  In my opinion, the best it's looked so far was in the Genosha massacre.  

My original intention with this show was the wait until the entire season came out and see how the overall reaction was to it and then decide if I wanted to watch it or not.  But the internet is going to internet and spoilery thumbnails and clickbait headlines started appearing everywhere (and I'm not even a social media person.  I just do youtube and that's it), so I figured I should probably just watch it now.  I think it's fine.  They're moving through the plotlines at breakneck speed so save for the episode 5, nothing really feels as earned or as epic as it should be.  I hate the Rogue/Magneto storyline, so hopefully now that's over and when they go back in time and fix everything, they just forget that ever happened.

I like Jubilee but I could have done without half an episode being devoted to her and Sunspot (who I do not care about, at all) having a video game adventure.  Would have rather that they devoted the entire episode to Storm and Forge because Forge busting out with that he loved Storm seemed to come out of nowhere.  It seemed as if they'd only been hanging out for like two days but with his big confession and all, I guess it was supposed to be long.  A month, maybe?  

Does anyone know if streaming services get to make their own ratings?  Because I do not understand how episode 3 could be considered PG.  There is no way I'd let my kids watch that (they're elementary/preschool age) with all the horror elements, nudity, sexual innuendo.  This is obviously aimed at adult fans of the original show, so just make it tv-14 and be done with it. 

For all my nitpicking, I am enjoying this and from what I've read, episode 5 is where things were supposed to pick up (mission accomplished!), so if the rest of the season keeps the same energy, then I think I'll overall be happy with it.

And even though I suspected the Gambit death was coming, I still cried because darn it all, that was sad.  

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Applause 1
30 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Does anyone know if streaming services get to make their own ratings?  Because I do not understand how episode 3 could be considered PG.  There is no way I'd let my kids watch that (they're elementary/preschool age) with all the horror elements, nudity, sexual innuendo.  This is obviously aimed at adult fans of the original show, so just make it tv-14 and be done with it. 

TV-PG: "Parents may find material unsuitable for younger children. Contains one or more of the following moderate violence (V), some sexual situations (S), infrequent coarse language (L) or some suggestive dialogue (D)."

TV-14: "Parents may find some material unsuitable for children younger than 14. Contains one or more of the following: intense violence (V), intense sexual situations (S), strong coarse language (L) or intensely suggestive dialogue (D)."

Sounds like your thoughts are well in line with the PG definition. 

On 4/12/2024 at 10:49 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

90s fun - the song Magneto and Rogue were floating around and dancing to could have totally been an Ace of Base song. I totally hope that was deliberate. 

I do believe it was an Ace of Base song, I am kind of liking the 90's feel.

As someone who mainly knows X-men from the original animated series and evolution I am enjoying the show.  I never got into reading the comic books (had no store near me to get them and my mom was not running me out for that lol) my random 2 cents on the whole Rouge/Mangneto romance:  As someone who to my understanding has not be able to ever have any kind of physical relationship with another person, I can see how she would jump into the arms of the first person she didn't put into a coma by touching.  Is it gross, sure, but understandable.

Other note......I hope they bring Gambit back.........

• Like 2
11 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

My Disney+ says it's 14+. I think it should be fine for 12+.

You're right.  Imdb (where I checked the rating originally) incorrectly lists it as being tv-pg but there was an article today on MSN about why the show is tv-14.  So now I feel much better about the ratings system.  

Although I am grateful for this series I really do feel like they are doing too much too quickly - like it's one big biryani of plotlines and characters that should have have been had more of a slow burn but it's been served so fast it's giving me heartburn. Still there have been some fun moments and always enjoy the cameos.

Let me sum up the episode in two words - Nightmare.  Fuel.

I must say, Alyson Sealy-Smith does an amazing job voicing The Adversary you'd think it was someone else doing it.

Oh, and someone important comes back.  And we find out who is really behind the Sentinels.

• Like 1
(edited)

Cool, Nightcrawler gets his own character card in the intro AND replaces Gambit in the group shot of the team running (not the last one, but the mid-credits one).  So naturally he, like most of the other X-Men, isn't in the episode at all.

If all of the Storm stuff was cobbled together I don't think it would be longer than one episode.  And who knew that when you regain your powers you also gain the ability to grow a new outfit and press fast forward on your hair growth?

I have forgotten my greatest gift - I can trap you in a classroom until you agree with me!

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, baldryanr said:

If all of the Storm stuff was cobbled together I don't think it would be longer than one episode.  And who knew that when you regain your powers you also gain the ability to grow a new outfit and press fast forward on your hair growth?

I should be annoyed by that, but I’m not — she looked great.

• Like 1

Well, that was a disappointment.  Especially after the high that was episode 5.

So how exactly did Storm get her powers back?  She just willed it?  What was the point of her losing her powers in the first place?  It had absolutely no effect on anything story wise or character wise.  I guess it took her out of commission when they were fighting the Goblin Queen but they could have done that with her watching over Jean or something.  Really, the entire storyline just seemed rushed and unnecessary.

And Xavier's plan to win over the Shi'ar council (or whatever it's called) is to trap them in a classroom in their minds and lecture them?  Sure.  That doesn't seem annoying at all.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, baldryanr said:

And who knew that when you regain your powers you also gain the ability to grow a new outfit and press fast forward on your hair growth?

She did this and had this ability IN the original cartoon … 

1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

So how exactly did Storm get her powers back?  She just willed it? 

No forge’s machine actually worked but she also had mentally blocked it also not thinking she was worthy and a hindrance and danger to her “people” aka mutants 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

So how exactly did Storm get her powers back?  She just willed it?  What was the point of her losing her powers in the first place?  It had absolutely no effect on anything story wise or character wise.  I guess it took her out of commission when they were fighting the Goblin Queen but they could have done that with her watching over Jean or something.  Really, the entire storyline just seemed rushed and unnecessary.

The writers seem to be trying to cram as many plot points from the comics into this season as they can and lose all narrative pacing in the process.

Even Professor X has only been "dead" for 5 episodes, before he showed up again. Usually you'd expect him to be dead for a season and then have a stinger of him being alive at the end of the final episode.

• Like 2

So that happened.

Did the writers expect me to be shocked at who was behind the sentinels? Because I wasn’t. It was rather predictable.

What Xavier was going through wasn’t any different than what he experienced on Earth. All I can say is I’m glad he’s coming back.

LOVED seeing Storm in that outfit and flowing hair!

But man! The animation when it comes to lips just sucks. Xavier looks too…fleshy. And his eyes look like he’s wearing eyeliner.

So far, the original is the superior and preferable show for me.

Sigh…

• Like 1

Is the original show preferable? I dunno, maybe. I also don’t care. This series is a continuation. The original series is still there for us to watch however much we want. What I want is a continuation of the storyline, and that’s what I’m getting. YMMV, but as a watcher I’m doing just fine.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Xantar said:

Is the original show preferable?

As I stated, it is for me. And unlike this new show, I can watch the original over and over again. Whereas so far with this show? I've only watched the premiere twice. And don't have any inkling to rewatch.

That's not to say I'm not enjoying them. Some more than others, but the '92 version is more watchable for me, with the exception of a few episodes.

Storm's non powered era lasted years but I understand how adaptations work so I wasn't expecting it to be particularly drawn out. I really wasn't expecting it after losing Gambit and Magneto. Do I believe those deaths will stick? Not really but status quo is that they're dead so Storm is needed again. I do like that they had Forge involved and was surprised that they brought the Adversary into it.

For me? The Fall of the Mutants storyline was a really interesting one and it was the catalyst for bringing Storm's powers back and it led to one of my favorite periods which was the Outback period before Inferno. That's just me. And even in the books it wasn't an instantaneous thing... it was fast but it played out a little bit like here where she had access and it took her a hot minute to actively reach out and grab them again. 

I have had issues with XTAS doing comic storylines before in the initial installment of the show simply because they were using a current team with previous storylines but it never felt complete. I think at this point I've adapted myself and I think they're doing better taking pieces from different storylines and working them into their own established canon.

Charles in Space, for example. The elements from a very specific storyline were there but altered enough to work for what they're doing. Charles' return to the X-books after some 70 issues after Lilandra came to get him to save his life was some more crazy space-faring stuff that involved Skrulls, a new re-aged and fully powered Storm (Claremont put Storm through the wringer, y'all) and another confrontation/cross-over on Genosha. Shit was INSANE! And then the X-Men got shunted off to space quite suddenly and crazy ass stuff was happening there! So while I'm glad we're not getting the Skrull storyline I was enjoying the nods to it all what with Charles' war costume and stuff.

Although him going 'Okay, class is in session' was so quintessentially Charles I was laughing out loud.

Oh... is that you Death-bit? Or just another nod?

Storm's looks over the years have generally been cool as fuck (actually one of the ones I like least is the white 90's one that Jim Lee did that we all know from this series) but man that classic Byrne costume is classic for a reason. And they animated it beautifully.

Sinister is responsible for the Genosha attack? Yeah, that works. Again, elements of comic stories combined into a new canon for XTAS97. I'm down with it.

One thing I hope for? Scott to not stand for any shade Charles throws upon his return.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 4/17/2024 at 6:59 AM, baldryanr said:

And who knew that when you regain your powers you also gain the ability to grow a new outfit and press fast forward on your hair growth?

Like when she turned her civilian clothes into her costume with her powers in the pilot episode of the animated series which I just rewatched.

• Like 2

IIRC, in the comics the handwave was that she could use electromagnetism to rearrange molecules on her person.

And who knew that when you regain your powers you also gain the ability to grow a new outfit

As others have stated, this was something Storm was able to do in the original show as well. We saw it in the pilot, at the mall where Storm and Rogue were shopping and the Sentinels who were hunting Jubilee, punched their way in, Storm stretched out her hand and the outfit she was wearing turned into her White X-Man uniform.

I have no idea what was going on in the opening, but I liked how Charles was introduced to the rest of the galaxy as "professor". Where everyone thinks Earth is a ghetto. 

The alien sister was a bit much with the bigotry, but I liked how Xavier basically said, "you act like a child, I'll treat you like a child." *Raise your hand*

I'm glad Storm got her power back, but I don't think she needed to scare all those horses. 

• Like 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I have no idea what was going on in the opening, but I liked how Charles was introduced to the rest of the galaxy as "professor". Where everyone thinks Earth is a ghetto.

Deathbird (given name Cal'syee Neramani) and the Shi'ar Imperial Guard were fighting Ronan the Accuser (seen in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie), a champion of the Kree Empire, which is ruled by the Supreme Intelligence (seen in the Captain Marvel movie). The Shi'ar, the Kree and the Skrulls are the three major alien empires in Marvel Comics, each of them based in a different galaxy (none of which is our own Milky Way). They all go to war on and off frequently, especially the Kree and Skrulls.

All three empires felt threatened by the emergence of Dark Phoenix, and the Kree and Skrulls each sent an observer to Jean's execution by the Shi'ar in the Dark Phoenix Saga in the original. Apparently, the Shi'ar and Kree are at war right now and the Shi'ar are winning. The Kree are from the Large Magellanic Cloud, the Skrulls are from the Andromeda Galaxy, and the Shi'ar are from an unnamed galaxy.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The alien sister was a bit much with the bigotry,

Personally, I suspect it was mostly an excuse to challenge Lilandra. Deathbird tried to overthrow her once before in the previous series and made a deal with Apocalypse to do so (who left her high-and-dry after abducting Oracle, the telepathic member of the Imperial Guard, since he was really out to gather psychics to power the Axis of Time and recreate the universe).

25 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

but I liked how Xavier basically said, "you act like a child, I'll treat you like a child." *Raise your hand*

That was neat!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The alien sister was a bit much with the bigotry,

Was she?  During Lilandra's initial announcement it was pretty clear that everyone was unhappy about it, especially the high council.  Sure, she was a bit dramatic about it, but that would make her fit right in with some of the X-Men (see Storm's declarations when using her powers, Nightcrawler teleporting instead of moving a few inches, etc.)

It is kind of ironic that mutants are seen by aliens as "lesser" humans even though it should be the exact opposite with their powers.

3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Well, she was yammering on how inferior he was and how he came from a ghetto to marry one of them, so I'd say yes. 

A bit much in the "bigotry is bad" sense, but not in the fits her character sense.  Yeah, the Friends of Humanity are a bit much too, but that's the entire point.

On 4/19/2024 at 12:24 AM, Dandesun said:

Storm's looks over the years have generally been cool as fuck (actually one of the ones I like least is the white 90's one that Jim Lee did that we all know from this series) but man that classic Byrne costume is classic for a reason. And they animated it beautifully.

Yeah the white costume from the show is my least fave as well. Loved seeing the original costume animated (designed by Dave Cockrum not Byrne) - that is my all time fave look. But also have a great fondness for punk mohawk Ororo so hope we get to see that avatar again at some point.

• Like 1

Bastion! Bastion? I didn't see that one coming! And who knew Theo James could VA so well?

Rogue is not playing around! I'd tell her to relax, but Trask invented Setinels to do precisely what they did on Genosha. Weapons of mass destruction rarely don't do the mass destruction part of the job title. Still, that was some cold beans of Rogue to drop Trask like that.

That final scene with Bastion shaving Erik was very creepy. It gave Theon shaving Ramsay vibes.

So I take it that last week's episode was running concurrently with this one? Because I find it very hard to believe that she wouldn't have rushed to rejoin the team or head to Genosha immediately after she saw the news.

Given how fast their reflexes are, you'd think Jean or Nightcrawler would have done something to catch Trask if they really wanted to.

Cable didn't sound particularly thrilled to talk to Scott.  I'm sure they'll be able to squeeze in some father/son drama over the next few episodes.

• Like 1

So they went with Bastion and Operation Zero Tolerance... very interesting. Again, the melding of stories really works for me here.

And Lord... Bastion with the 'Flying Purple People Eater' song playing. Wrapping something horrible and vile in this veneer of wholesome novelty just makes it creepier. It's like the beginning of Bioshock: Infinite. What is Bastion going to do with Magneto. And will we have a Steve and Bucky moment when Charles comes back and he and Erik see each other again?

Speaking of... hey Steve!

They did Emma's diamond form reveal! That was a part of the E is for Extinction story where Genosha got razed so I was actually happy to see that.

Rogue unleashing her fury... that woman is a power house and it was actually fun to see. Nightcrawler being the one to oversee Remy's funeral and then reach out to Rogue over her grief and feelings (loved the Dia de los Muertos going on during that) and also Jean and the rest of the X-men were there.

X-men is all about found family after all particularly when dealing with parents who are all 'oh I'm so happy you finally told us but don't tell anyone else because shareholders!' Oh 'Berto...

Jean and Scott had a good conversation about the complications of their relationship and I love Jean's hair down. ALSO loved Jean getting to be a powerhouse too in the fight with Prime Sentinel Bolivar Trask. And Rogue dropping Trask? Well that goes along with this overall sentiment of the X-men just being done with begging for a place at the table. It's something they go through cyclically in the comics, the last go round being Krakoa, so I'm actually enjoying seeing it here.

And it's said the last three episodes are going to be pretty hard core. Can't wait.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think I know why this episode was titled "Bright Eyes".  Because calling it "Total Eclipse of the Heart" would be too on the nose.  The bright and cheery Rogue is gone.  All she wants now is vengeance.  Throwing Captain America's shield a good what? 20 miles after his "hands are tied" comment was just a sample, but we were past the point of no return when

Spoiler

she dropped Bolivar Trask to his death.  Or, seeming death as he turned out to be a Sentinel. 

And Henry Gyrich and his stupid Frank Grimes haircut are dead now.  Lovely!

In other news, my Emma Frost is alive!  She can turn into diamond like in the comics even though the show is set in 1997 and that power of hers didn't manifest until 2001.  Also, I was surprised to see Belladonna at Gambit's funeral after how badly their relationship ended in the second season. 

Seeing the makeshift memorial site for those who were killed actually got to me, especially that picture of Callisto and Leech.  They looked so happy.

And Beast's comment was also sad.  The X-Men were fighting for tolerance when they should had been fighting more for acceptance.

Scott and Jean seem to be on the mend, though I do question why Jean has her hair let down like Madelyne's was.  Speaking of Jean, I keep thinking of something.  Since episode 2, we keep seeing scenes of her from the original series of her as the Dark Phoenix.  Is this foreshadowing something?

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

ALSO loved Jean getting to be a powerhouse too in the fight with Prime Sentinel Bolivar Trask.

In the original series she would have fainted from the strain of catching all the debris before the fight even started.

Roberto's talk with his mom could not have been a more blatant parallel to coming out of the closet.  On the plus side, she didn't react with blind hatred and disown him (I think we saw Rogue's dad do that), but yeah, let's hide it because the shareholders will care isn't all that much better.

Professor X is going to be really depressed when he gets back to Earth.  A bunch of his students think he's an idealistic fool and the rest of the planet is going to think he went off to space because he wanted to be Emperor.

• Like 2

It was brilliant marketing to invoke the 90s show nostalgia, but this show feels more like a reimagining vs continuation. 

I have no issue with a remake, but I would have had a different frame of mind before watching.  As someone who hasn't read the comics, combined with a comparatively condensed season, I agree with some others that the storytelling is coming off rushed and Easter Egg-y.  Usually, I don't care about Easter eggs as long as the story holds. But it's been flimsy.     

In any case, the season kind of lost me by sidelining Storm early on and it makes zero sense for her to be absent in ep 7. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Something occurred to me.  A lot of people who watched this are going to seek out that "Purple People Eater" song that the bad guy Bastion was playing when

Spoiler

he killed Gyrich and was shaving Magneto.

I'm having visions of people making fan art of him in short shorts saying "I like short shorts."  And this horrifies me.  😟

14 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

Speaking of Jean, I keep thinking of something.  Since episode 2, we keep seeing scenes of her from the original series of her as the Dark Phoenix.  Is this foreshadowing something?

I've been wondering that as well. In addition to the opening credits, she has referenced her time as Phoenix and/or Dark Phoenix in every episode featuring her (or Madeline) since episode 2.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Dandesun said:

And Lord... Bastion with the 'Flying Purple People Eater' song playing. Wrapping something horrible and vile in this veneer of wholesome novelty just makes it creepier.

Someone ought to let him know it's about a creature that eats purple people. Purple people like him and his Sentinels.

19 hours ago, Dandesun said:

ALSO loved Jean getting to be a powerhouse too in the fight with Prime Sentinel Bolivar Trask.

It's about time! No more fainting.

I know its not everyone's cup of tea but the action scenes for me are just awesome to watch. When Scott blasted Trask at the end, it just looked so cool and Jean getting to show off the skill set too was perfect. Nice to get an episode to feature how bad ass Rogue is tho I did see some had issues with how far she went. I was ok with it.  I love Nightcrawler, I just do and his eulogy was so on point for Gambit and loved that he was there to comfort Rogue. This show is enjoyable but it also causes me stress every week, curious to see where it all goes from here.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My interest has waned with this show. Not to say that I don't like it, but I'm not chomping at the bit until I can watch the next episode.

Maybe it's because as someone else posted upthread, the writers are pulling stories from the comics and I can't really enjoy it because it all seems so cobbled and has stuff that doesn't make sense. That is if you've read the comics, you know what's going on and are enjoying it. But for me? Who has never read them? Even with the first show in '92, the writes wrote that show so even non-comic readers could enjoy it and know what was going on, if that makes sense.

So I'll just wait until all the rest of this season's episodes have aired and then watch them later.

At this point, all I care about is bringing Remy back. Because I refuse to watch a show where he's DEAD. Hell, they brought Jean back to life on the original.

I have NO DESIRE to revisit the Dark Phoenix saga again.

And I hope that these writers remember or they can go back and watch the series finale from '97-that Xavier "died" and was taken to Shi'ar because that world had the capability to heal him, and not that he went a galaxy hopping to become consort to Lilandra.

The thing I wonder about with Jean and the various Phoenix references is if they're going to go full bore with something that has been danced around for decades only to be really solidified now. That 'now and forever' Jean is Phoenix. It got real convoluted in the comics and even though the animated series did the best version of the Phoenix storyline it also dropped some major points.

Other people have been Phoenix. They've gotten rid of it, they've brought it back but, ultimately, Jean has been written to be the primary host/that level of strength at her full powers. She doesn't have to go dark anymore, she went through that already, but to accept that part of her might be the thing for her moving forward.

Maybe I don't understand the complaints about pulling too much from the comics. They've always done this. The characters are from the comics. The villains are from the comics. Mutants fighting for a world that hates and fears them are from the comics. The Sentinels, the Friends of Humanity, Genosha, the Blackbird, the Shi'ar, the Xavier School, the Savage Land, Master Mold, Henry Peter Gyrich, Bolivar Trask, the Morlocks... all of these are from the comics. And none of these stories are direct translations from the comics. The fact that there has been 30 MORE years of storytelling since this show was on just gives them more to pull from.

The story that's being told isn't comic specific. Mutants are fighting for acceptance and even though they've been fighting to protect humanity they continue to be targeted. That was the whole jist of Magneto's speech in episode 2. They work to create a homeland so they have their own nation and it gets destroyed. People die, people are hurt, now they're all struggling with the idea of 'why did we ever try to play nice when this is what you want for all of us?' It's the cycle of hatred. It's the constant need for a scapegoat or to Other an entire group of people Just Because. That is what the X-Men have been about since the 70s and it continues here.

I know what these references are but I have seen and heard from many people who don't who still think the show is killing it without knowing the references.

All that being said... if you don't like it, that's fine too. It's not a requirement.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I hope that these writers remember or they can go back and watch the series finale from '97-that Xavier "died" and was taken to Shi'ar because that world had the capability to heal him, and not that he went a galaxy hopping to become consort to Lilandra.

Well, that's where the drama is going to come from, isn't it?  When he left it sounded like he could never return because he needed constant care from the Shi'ar.  Now it seems like he was completely healed and is healthy enough to return without additional treatment, but hasn't because he wants to stay with Lilandra.  Even worse, apparently he hasn't bothered sending the team any updates, so as far as they know he's still a sick old man.

Not just sick, but dead.  The team has behaved as though Xavier is dead.  With a death certificate, execution of his will, etc. 

Bastion proclaimed that the X-Men were selling the world a lie and implied they have been in contact with the Shi'ar through some hacked satellite. We haven't seen any of the X-Men in contact with the Shi'ar, have we? 

It's an example of what I meant by reimagining vs continuation. Which...if the show wants to rewrite what happened to Xavier, okay.  But make up your mind.  Does the team really believe he died, or did they lie to cover his departure from Earth because they never expected him to return? And if it's the latter, seems like a couple of lines in episode 1 or 2 with someone acknowledging that would have ensured continuity.

• Love 1