Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men'97

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

And if it's the latter, seems like a couple of lines in episode 1 or 2 with someone acknowledging that would have ensured continuity.

How much of a troll do we think Morph is?  Impersonating a deceased father figure so soon after his death just to needle Scott seems like quite the line to cross.

They have also talked about how the Professor is "gone".  Now that could just be them trying not to say killed, dead, etc., but they haven't had a problem using those words in general.

Edited by baldryanr
(edited)
12 hours ago, baldryanr said:

They have also talked about how the Professor is "gone".  Now that could just be them trying not to say killed, dead, etc., but they haven't had a problem using those words in general.

Yes, true, and perhaps that's how the show will handwave it. But I distinctly recall a conversation between Scott and (Madeline as) Jean when they showed the death certificate, and that would have been an excellent time to acknowledge the "we've told the world he's dead, but we know he's off world" ruse. 

Plus, I remember wondering why they didn't push back on Magneto's claim of the will and estate by stating he wasn't dead. At the time, I assumed the show was going with the team truly believing he was dead.  But with the latest "they sold a lie" assertion, I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
(edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 2:47 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Plus, I remember wondering why they didn't push back on Magneto's claim of the will and estate by stating he wasn't dead.

Because Xavier left the will with the assumption he was never coming back. He did want Magneto to have his estate, dead or alive. The team knew he was going with them for treatment because they were there at the end of the original series when that happened. But they weren't counting on necessarily ever seeing him again because it wasn't a sure thing that the treatment would work, that it would work fully, or that he'd return even if it did.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Like 2
On 4/26/2024 at 5:07 PM, Dandesun said:

Maybe I don't understand the complaints about pulling too much from the comics. They've always done this.

Let me clarify my complaint. Yes, I know they've always pulled the stories from the comics-because that's the source material. But in the original, they let the stories...breathe. Even if I didn't know who was this and what's going on, there was exposition, that wasn't an exposition dump, so I could enjoy them. Even with Jean's return and then being taken over by Dark Phoenix, we got flashbacks/exposition.

With this show, I feel like I'm supposed to know the material to appreciate what's being told; but it's also too fast/mashed up, where it's just causing my head to spin when it looks like it's contradicting canon from the original. Which, intellectually, it's not, because it's being pulled from the comics. But it's stuff that wasn't part of the original show, so that's why it seems confusing to me.

Like I said, I like it, but I'm not loving it all, like I did the original, with the exception of the Mojo episodes.

• Like 2
On 4/29/2024 at 11:37 AM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Because Xavier left the will with the assumption he was never coming back. He did want Magneto to have his estate, dead or alive.

But the team wasn't aware of his wishes until Magneto showed up - that's what I'm referring to.  Whatever Xavier's intent, he apparently didn't bother to communicate it to his X-Men - which might be kind of important, given how they were impacted. 

On 4/29/2024 at 5:24 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

But in the original, they let the stories...breathe. Even if I didn't know who was this and what's going on, there was exposition, that wasn't an exposition dump, so I could enjoy them.

I agree. 

In any case, different strokes for different folks.    

(edited)

"I don't like mutants replacing the human race! So I'm going to make different mutants that will replace the human race!"

That has to be the dumbest super villain plan I've ever heard. It's not that I'm saying that it isn't consistent in universe and that some of those villains wouldn't come up with a plan like that. Just that it's extremely dumb.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 3

The original show always did like to show cameos whenever something global happened, so they're continuing the tradition here. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Heh. Scott said "screw."

Moreover, he called the Prime Sentinels "toasters", which is the insult for Cylons in the modern version of Battlestar Galactica. The modern Cylons can be human-form sleeper agents like the Prime Sentinels, and their original mechanical appearance is as red-eyed cyclopes like Scott.

• Like 1

Well, we got a whole lot of Cronenberg type stuff in here, sprinkled in with Terminator and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Spoiler

I was not expecting Trish the reporter to be a Prime Sentinel.  Does this mean she volunteered for the treatment?  Did all of them?  The only one who didn't was Val Cooper, who is going to get the crap killed out of her because she let Magneto go.

And the gloves are off with Magneto.  He's not taking this crap anymore.

And does anyone else find it funny that the Shi'ar gave Xavier the crappiest little spaceship they had to send him back home.  He and Lilandra must have one messy ass break up fight beforehand.

On a minor note:  Spider-Man cameo!!!

• Like 1

Question to comic book readers: Do you think the last two episodes will adapt 

Spoiler

Fatal Attractions?

I don't want them to make 

Spoiler

Magneto villain again so soon 

but it seems that's where we are heading.

5 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Question to comic book readers: Do you think the last two episodes will adapt 

Hide contents

Fatal Attractions?

I don't want them to make 

Hide contents

Magneto villain again so soon 

but it seems that's where we are heading.

Not yet.  That might be for next season, even though what Magneto did in this episode is a major plot point in the storyline you mentioned.

I think

Spoiler

William Stryker will be a major villain next season as he briefly appeared in this episode.  Whether or not he'll be a reverend is anybody's guess.

Another great episode. Loved Jean, Scott and Cable together. Kurt as always is amazing, he always says the right things and Wolverine and Kurt kicking ass at the mansion? Awesome. Everyone gets their moments and I love that. Only ones I struggle with at times are Jubilee and Roberto, I feel bad for the kid but if he wasn't on the show I'd be fine with it.

I know Sinister said the human let Magneto go but I still feel like Val Copper could be Mystique. Just something seems off. I feel like the Magneto was right line makes more sense from her.

I'm going to be so sad when this show is over.

7 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

On a minor note:  Spider-Man cameo!!!

Awesome but I’ll save my excitement unless we get Christopher Daniel Barnes back.

4 hours ago, Grumpymonkey said:

I know Sinister said the human let Magneto go but I still feel like Val Copper could be Mystique. Just something seems off. I feel like the Magneto was right line makes more sense from her.

I had the same thought, I was waiting for her to reveal herself as Mystique.  I have enjoyed this series more than I expected to!

22 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

Not yet.  That might be for next season, even though what Magneto did in this episode is a major plot point in the storyline you mentioned.

I think

Hide contents

William Stryker will be a major villain next season as he briefly appeared in this episode.  Whether or not he'll be a reverend is anybody's guess.

The writer tweeted that the one you guessed about was required reading this week before the new show next so im guessing yes that is where they are going

On 5/1/2024 at 6:44 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

"I don't like mutants replacing the human race! So I'm going to make different mutants that will replace the human race!"

That has to be the dumbest super villain plan I've ever heard. It's not that I'm saying that it isn't consistent in universe and that some of those villains wouldn't come up with a plan like that. Just that it's extremely dumb.

Yeah, I found Bastion very underwhelming as a villain.  His voice actor to me just does not fit with the show.  Everyone else either has an over the top accent (Rogue, Gambit, Nightcrawler), a very stately voice (Cyclops, Storm, Magneto) or a very charactery voice (Wolverine, Beast).  Bastion just sounds like some guy.  And I'm confused about his backstory and timeline.  So he was born about 35-40 years ago but is part sentinel and can hear machines but also has visions of the future.  Can he time travel or does he just live a long time because he's part machine?  Because Cable knows him in his time period, right?  And is he doing all this because he had a vision about it?  Or did he travel back from the future to do all this?  It's all just very unclear.  

I'd say this show peaked for me with episode five.  I'm still watching it but they're going through the plotlines way too fast.  It's revealed that Madeline's a clone, then two episodes later she's dead.  Storm loses her powers, then gets them back almost immediately (though is still missing in action, for some reason).  The only plotline that's really been given the entire season to develop is Sunspot's and I just do not care about him.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

And I'm confused about his backstory and timeline.  So he was born about 35-40 years ago but is part sentinel and can hear machines but also has visions of the future.  Can he time travel or does he just live a long time because he's part machine?  Because Cable knows him in his time period, right?  And is he doing all this because he had a vision about it?  Or did he travel back from the future to do all this?  It's all just very unclear.  

Here's how I think it's supposed to go.  In the original series there was a two parter where Nimrod traveled back in time to assassinate a young Xavier - this is briefly shown in the credits with Bishop blasting Nimrod to pieces while the alternate Storm and Wolverine watch.  Somehow, pieces of Nimrod survived to infect a Bastion's father, who passed all of this knowledge to Bastion when he was conceived.  Bastion then grew up and eventually all of those memories resurfaced.

As a fun bonus, Bastion's mom looks a LOT like a waitress who showed up in the original episodes.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
11 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

As a fun bonus, Bastion's mom looks a LOT like a waitress who showed up in the original episodes.

It is.  It's the same woman.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

The writer tweeted that the one you guessed about was required reading this week before the new show next so im guessing yes that is where they are going

Wait, what? What if you don’t have the comic or story? That’s what I meant earlier- just make a show where the viewer who isn’t a reader, can follow. Unless I’m misunderstanding the tweet?

1 hour ago, baldryanr said:

Here's how I think it's supposed to go.  In the original series there was a two parter where Nimrod traveled back in time to assassinate a young Xavier - this is briefly shown in the credits with Bishop blasting Nimrod to pieces while the alternate Storm and Wolverine watch.  Somehow, pieces of Nimrod survived to infect a Bastion's father, who passed all of this knowledge to Bastion when he was conceived.  Bastion then grew up and eventually all of those memories resurfaced.

Ah, I see.  So in the episode prior, when Sinister was all, "Didn't you used to be one of the villains that the X-Men fought?", (or was that this episode?  I can't remember) he was referring to Nimrod, not Bastian (or the part of Bastian that is Nimrod, I guess).  So he's not time traveling, he just has memories (or visions) of the future.   Thanks for the clarity!  Wish the show had done a better job of explaining that.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Wait, what? What if you don’t have the comic or story? That’s what I meant earlier- just make a show where the viewer who isn’t a reader, can follow. Unless I’m misunderstanding the tweet?

I wouldn't take "required reading" literally.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

I wouldn't take "required reading" literally.

Yeah, I take it as a wink that yes, we are going there. 

Actually, if you don't want to be spoiled, probably don't google it ...

I'm behind from travel.
With Professor X being not!dead and not Magneto (which you're not really killing these guys off, and I didn't think X was dead from this episode 1), I feel kind of bad Gambit is gone. I'm thinking some of the main has to stay dead if you're going to have any stakes.

Did the original have the other Marvel characters like Captain America show up? Or is D+ just showing off the IP? I'm going to try to watch the original in between seasons. 

Rogue isn't doing anyone any favors. I was actually shocked she just let the guy go off the ledge. 

I liked the scene with Roberto 'coming out'. They did it in one of the 90s movies, but it was really clunky. This was far smoother even if it was blatant. Which I think is fine. It's in the original spirit of why the comic was created. 

Was there ever an episode about the collateral damage they're all causing? I wouldn't say it's all they're fault, but it's not great optics for the mutant tolerance cause either. 

Well, no one seemed surprised or commented that the Professor looked good or anything. These guys aren't really doing the best for their cause here. You'd think they'd have a pr rep to get in front of the story.  

I also appreciate Jean's ability to deliver exposition when I don't know what's going on. 

Big problems with everyone going into those dial up chat rooms!

I don't think I'm quite following. There's a lot of these sleeper agents, but it looked like you had to program them or whatever one at a time. It seems like there's too many based on the effort to just create the one. And they all can fly and shoot fire. 

I did not know Magneto could do that. 

Well, that was quite the show. 

On 5/1/2024 at 5:20 PM, TigerLily20 said:

I had the same thought, I was waiting for her to reveal herself as Mystique.

Nightcrawler namechecked Mystique earler in the episode too. 

(edited)
13 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Did the original have the other Marvel characters like Captain America show up? Or is D+ just showing off the IP? I'm going to try to watch the original in between seasons. 

Yes, there were actually a lot of quick cameos (Dr Strange, Thor, Black Panther, War Machine, Spidey).  Cap actually got a voiced appearance in a WW2 flashback with Logan, while Carol Danvers is the reason why Rogue can fly and has super strength.

The Spider-Man series, which is supposed to be in the same continuity, had even more Marvel characters (the F4, Punisher, Daredevil, Iron Man, Blade).  So that's a whole lot of heroes who apparently couldn't be bothered to help out in Genosha.

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Yes, Captain America was in an episode of the original. The original was in the same continuity as Spider-Man: The Animated Series, as shown in a couple of crossover episodes in the latter (which also had Captain America in one arc, and an episode with Doctor Strange).

• Like 2
(edited)

Logan should have watched Infinity War - there's a reason why you go for the head.  And way to go, Cyclops - Xavier had Magneto beaten before you intervened.  Yeah, you had to give the other team more time but maybe blast your opponent?

I'm assuming Jean goes Phoenix next episode - Storm was dropping quite the hint about it.

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 1
  • Fire 2

So why the time limit? If Magneto can switch off earths magnetic field at any time, surely he can switch it back on at any time. (I have no idea how he supposedly did that in the first place, but we'll go with it)

I guess we needed to split the group somehow instead of doing things in order, but it really is annoying.

Also with the earth's magnetic field gone, how did everything just shut down? Everything should be overloaded and fried. Solar winds would be inducing massive currents into the electric grid and even unpluged electrical machines. Some older, more robust machines might survive, if they weren't pluged in or protected by breakers, but anything with micro chips would likely be a goner.

And Bastion can just power his sentinels at will by some kind of magic? But not his human sentinels? Yeah, checks out...

In general it's clear that Magneto is completely right and they should have tried to reason with him from that point of view. "Hey let's all destroy Bastion and these prime sentinels together and after that we'll rule humanity to make sure something like this never happens again. I mean do you really want to live on a planet with no electricity and eventually no atmosphere? Or do you plan on staying on that asteroid forever? We think our plan is better."

• Like 1

This was the first episode for me that while there were a lot of cool moments, it felt rushed, plot pointy and sloppy. Like we needed more time to breath and earn certain moments.

The end with fight on the asteroid, cool as hell to see. Between Xavier going at Magneto, to Wolverine stabbing him and then Magneto with the Adamantium? Awesome, that whole sequence was awesome.  But if Magneto didn't do what he did last episode (whether you believe he was right or wrong), wouldn't all the x-men be kind of dead right now? Cause they were not fairing well against the hybrid sentinels at all? Kind of whip lash that first instinct is Magento's gotta die. Almost wish he was saved until the next episode so it didn't feel so rushed.

I love Rogue(seeing her wearing gambit's jacket *sniff*) and I see the arc they are attempting with her but in this episode that execution wasn't great. Her attitude fits the plot point of the moment. She was comforted by Nightcrawler and the x-men (her family) in Mexico, what two episodes ago? Today she is all, I'm with Magneto. I get it what they are going for but again not liking the execution.

How do they not have Storm mention anything about Gambit's death? She talks about how horrible the mansion looks and how horrible it might be for other people out there but not mention that one of her good friends is dead? Maybe I'm basing this more on comics but I thought the original TAS included their friendship and this was sorely lacking for me.

Jean however, had an awesome episode. Loved seeing her go toe to toe  with Sinister, but did she just get killed again?

Then having Scott blast Xavier, made zero sense. I mean it was needed to get to the Adamantium removal but still didn't make a lot of sense. 

Sorry this was kind of all over the place. Curious to see how they finish everything next week!

• Like 3
(edited)

My question is why did Jean decide to wear her Marvel Girl costume instead of her regular (probably better armored) outfit?  Also, unpopular opinion but Cyclops looks better in his Jim Lee designed costume than his classic one.  But Storm is just rocking her original costume.  In fact, she's looked good in all the outfits she's worn in the comics.

I also question why there's a time limit.  That wasn't a problem in the X-Men issues this episode was based on.  Also, Magneto's offer to the X-Men to join him was more calm than how it happened in Uncanny X-Men 304.  He also rather uncouthly did it during the funeral of much loved X-Men character.  In that issue, Colossus defects, here it's Rogue, but for similar reasons - they felt like Xavier's ideals failed them when it was actually misplaced grief.

Also, we know now why Cable uses guns: he's hella overpowered.  He could take out the X-Men, Magneto, Bastion, and The Sentinels by himself if he so chose to.  But how did Sinister get that red diamond of his on to Cable in the first place.

And I want Forge to be an official member of the team.  He and Beast work together so well.

I loved that Jubilee attacked Magneto before she was blindsided by Roberto.  She's always been a spitfire but here, it shows she's not afraid of Magneto.  That's a reason why she's in my top twelve X-Men.

Lastly, my queens Jean and Storm better not be dead. 

Next week is the season finale, everyone.  If they end on a cliffhanger, I'll lose my freaking shit!

NOTE (3:11 PM Central) - I forgot to mention one thing - how profoundly f***ed up Magneto describing how he saw Leech die during the Genosha Massacre, his eyes melting out of his tiny skull.  That disturbed me.

Edited by bmoore4026
I just remembered something I forgot to mention.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, bmoore4026 said:

My question is why did Jean decide to wear her Marvel Girl costume instead of her regular (probably better armored) outfit?  Also, unpopular opinion but Cyclops looks better in his Jim Lee designed costume than his classic one.  But Storm is just rocking her original costume.  In fact, she's looked good in all the outfits she's worn in the comics.

I guess for marketing reasons, they wanted to have two teams like in the comics and also show everyone in an alternative costume (expect some new action figures soon). I don't think it's unpopular to dislike Cyclops' head condom costume.

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

Next week is the season finale, everyone.  If they end on a cliffhanger, I'll lose my freaking shit!

Same! They can dangle some threads for the next season, but I'm gonna need some sort of conclusion!

10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just do a Days of Future Past thing and BRING.GAMBIT.BACK.

That is all I care about.

Really hope they do. I dont even care how.

I feel like the only one that even cares he is gone is Rogue. I know this show moves fast but its like out of sight out of mind for everyone else.  Charles words just seemed kind of hollow. Then again they keep having to save the world every episode so....but still give me some emotional beats!

• Like 3

If we’re making a wish list for a second season . . . how about Morph not being the fan service mutant? When he’s not quipping, he’s shifting into other, more recognizable heroes. You can say that his human look is his default, but he finds it easier to have fewer features because of the trauma he suffered from Mr. Sinister.

Was Nightcrawler on either team? I don’t remember seeing him in the battles.

Are we going to get Noseless Wolverine next season? Morph: “How does he smell? Horrible!”

• LOL 1
13 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

But how did Sinister get that red diamond of his on to Cable in the first place.

I assume it's either from the technovirus he gave baby Nathan or likely inherited from Madeline, given that Sinister directly created the clone and her genes.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Was Nightcrawler on either team? I don’t remember seeing him in the battles.

Nightcrawler was part of Xavier's team - he teleported them into the throne room. 

8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

If we’re making a wish list for a second season . . . how about Morph not being the fan service mutant? When he’s not quipping, he’s shifting into other, more recognizable heroes. You can say that his human look is his default, but he finds it easier to have fewer features because of the trauma he suffered from Mr. Sinister.

Morph is identifying as they/them now.

• Love 1