Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Jonathan Bennett: Love Interest

• Start Topic

Though his striking good looks may have made Jonathan Bennett an object of affection for the ‘plastics’ in “Mean Girls,” his talent and commitment are what have led him to become one of the most sought after young actors in Hollywood. Bennett’s first foray into feature films was in Paramount’s smash hit “Mean Girls” from producer Lorne Michaels and writer Tina Fey, in which he starred opposite Lindsay Lohan. In the romantic comedy “Lovewrecked” for the Weinstein Co., Bennett transitioned into the love interest of Amanda Bynes. He has since starred as Bo Duke in Warner Bros. prequel to “The Dukes of Hazard,” the comedy romp “Bachelor Party Vegas,” in Fox’s sequel to the hit comedy “Cheaper by the Dozen,” as Steve Martin’s antagonistic son-in-law, and as the title role in“National Lampoon’s Van Wilder: Freshman Year.”

More recently, Bennett executive produced and starred in the film “Authors Anonymous” opposite Kaley Cuoco. He continues to wear his producing hat, as well as carry a supporting role in the feature “Pawn” with Ray Liotta and Academy Award-winner Forest Whitaker. More recently, Bennett wrapped the dramatic thriller “Submerged,” the comedy “Do Over,” the crime thriller “Paid in Full,” and the Lifetime telefilm “Romantically Speaking” opposite “Glee” star Heather Morris. Originally from Ohio, Bennett currently resides in Los Angeles where he continues to hone his craft.

Dancing with Allison Holker

Awwww, Jonathan. I lost my dad a few months ago so just hearing that he did the show mostly because of his dad got me teary. I love that he is so enthusiastic about dancing. He looked like he was having a lot of fun and he was so excited afterward, which I found adorable. He was a lot more coordinated than I thought. I think he is one of the better guys (he's definitely better than Chong, Michael, Tavis, and Antonio) so I hope he can keep it up.

ETA: I think it's less that he has crazy eyes (which he did during judging, to be fair) and more that he has crazy eyebrows. I really wish he would get cast in a family drama along with Peter Gallagher, Lee Pace, and Ian Somerhalder so they could coral all of those eyebrows into once place.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

I thought that Jonathan did great. His and Allison's Jive was energetic and fun. That Jonathan's doing the show as a tribute to his late father only makes me heart Jonathan more. As for Jonathan's so-called "crazy" eyes, I'd much rather put up with those than LoLo Jones' crazy period-or LiLo's, for that matter.

Yeah, he does need to tone down the buggy eyed thing. I do love his enthusiasm (if we could bottle him and Alfonso, we could power a small city), but he needs to reign in his reactions a bit in order to not get creepily unpredictable.

I would totally tune in to eyebrow TV.

Enjoyed his dance, and Allison's choreo.  Loved his back story and motivation for being on the show.  Was totally turned off by his over-enthusiasm, which didn't seem genuine to me.  Hated his buggy eyes expression, which seemed inauthentic.  You don't need to be the designated weirdo to do well on this show, Jonathan.  Please stop.

Jonathan has a pretty lengthy list of acting credits on IMBD plus 4 projects in post-production plus 2 projects still filming plus 5 producer credits. In any case, it wasn't Julianne's call to make. The little stories told on the entertainment news shows aren't "off the cuff". They plan in advance what they're going to talk about.

I dont think he's famous enough to officially come out in the media. I don't think it's a big deal, but when there is nothing else to to talk about...

Jonathan's Mean Girls co-star Daniel Franzese recently came out publicly.  I don't think he's any more famous than Jonathan.   But point being, no matter how famous Jonathan may or may not be, it wasn't really Julianne's call to make period.  But I also tend to think Julianne has a habit of speaking first and thinking later, so I can't say I'm surprised. 

• Love 1

Daniel Franzese was too gay to function back in high school. But, I was very surprised to learn he was actually in the closet at any point. Jonathan on the other hand, I knew nothing about, so his being gay isn't really news to me (or most people). Still wasn't Julianne's call, I agree 100%.

Let's hope he calms his eyeballs down tonight. No more deer-in-headlights, honey.

Eh, I don't really care much whether Jonathan dates men or women; I've seen a number of articles and features that mention him as gay (mostly by saying that he and Matt Dallas were rumored to have dated for some time). I'm more irritated by Julianne assuming that he was hitting on her, and calling him out as gay as though that is the only reason he would not hit on her.

Lord. His eyebrows are a work of art. I covet them!

Anyway, poor Jonathan. I can't imagine how hard it must be to lose both parents in the span of a year, so I feel for him. It's clear he wanted to do this show for fun but the enthusiasm has sort of been sucked out of him.

I think he has some potential and is incredibly likable...but being paired with Allison has done him (and the viewing audience) no favors. I actually think the switch will be GREAT for him, particularly if he's paired with someone like Cheryl (I love what a taskmaster she can be). It will be wonderful to see if he can excel in the hands of a more capable pro!

If Pee Wee Herman was a hunk...

I'd actually rather see Pee Wee Herman on DWTS than Jonathan.  If the show will put on pervy Andy Dick, why not Paul Reubens, who isn't quite as pervy as he, and easily twice as entertaining.

• Love 1

I'd actually rather see Pee Wee Herman on DWTS than Jonathan.  If the show will put on pervy Andy Dick, why not Paul Reubens, who isn't quite as pervy as he, and easily twice as entertaining.

Oh I can see it now, everyone would be waiting for the proverbial "Tequila" dance.

As soon as Jonathan started with the "No! No elbows!" and scolding his own elbows it hit me.

• Love 1

Not that I have any qualifications to diagnose anyone, but when I saw his original intro package (My parents just died, I'm so excited to do this show for them, WOOO!), my first thought was that this guy is totally in a bipolar manic phase. His intense Tom Cruise eyes and dancing so enthusiastically as to get wildly off the beat has only strengthened that impression. I really hope he doesn't have an equally intense depressive phase when he gets eliminated. 

I do feel bad for him in that he was clearly excited to be on the show in the beginning. The pairing with Allison just wasn't ideal because she doesn't really know how to teach ballroom/latin at this point. So he became a bit of a "victim" of TPTB experimenting.

But yeah, by now everybody should know that being a good dancer doesn't help you on this show if you don't connect with viewers. And bad dancers have made it far many times because people wanted them around. It's a popularity contest. The scoring influences things, but if the general audience doesn't want to go along with the judges, they just won't. I'm frustrated by it as well sometimes because I find good dancing entertaining, but that's the nature of the beast. Jonathan IMO also wasn't a good dancer, that's not only on him but also on getting a pro who couldn't yet deliver, but it is what it is. Peta, in contrast, knows how to handle Tommy and how to get the best out of him.

This happens again and again, season after season, yet people still act shocked and you find outrage in recaps etc. For a more recent example, I don’t think Lea was much of an upset or even a great surprise tbh. We’ve seen "shocking eliminations“ that aren’t all that shocking again and again. If you look at facebookology, which isn’t a 100% indicator but has proven rather useful, her dance got the least likes again. Then comes Tommy with about 100/150 votes more than her, then the others who all have considerably more than Tommy. I think we still have to see if Tommy really pulls in much of an older/general audience crowd that offsets all trends on social media. Because so far he outlasted the people who weren’t scoring that much better than him and weren’t doing better on social media than him either.

Edited by katha
“Mean Girls” alum slammed the ABC dancing competition for being more about the fan bases and less about quality dancing.

You know what I'm scratching my head over? Hes not foreign to the show and has even said hes watched it in the past..hes just realizing this now its all about fanbase? He's also clueless to say no one else has a chance against Bethany because of her millions of online followers (um hello Zendaya and Cody Simpson).  If those millions arent voting its all useless. The whole tone of that article makes him sound awful though and he goes and disses Tommy.  Talk about sour grapes.

He has watched the show. I read from a few former contestants that when it's you it just feels different when you are watching. You don't get the story angle and all you see is the dancing. And Everybody has some sour grapes about Beth and Derek this season. 

It's pretty rich that he's complaining how it's more about fan bases than good dancing. Jonathan wasn't a terrible dancer, but he wasn't good either. He's better than Tommy and Michael, but I thought Betsey and Randy were better than Jonathan and he outlasted both of them. So while all the placements this season don't correspond to ability, I'd say Jonathan's does.

It would seem that Jonathan didn't research DWTS' past seasons from the tone in this interview he gave.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jonathan-bennett-slams-dwts-says-no-one-can-compete-against-an-empire

. .

I read this a few days ago, and considering how Jonathan came across on the show (like a nice guy), I really think the writer intentionally skewed every quote in the most sensational way possible. I can imagine most of his comments coming across pretty benignly if context was given or audio provided where one could hear the tone. Because haven't we all made pretty much the same comments this season? Maybe without the swear word. :)

• Love 2