Type keyword(s) to search

S49.E11: Ayo Edebiri / Jennifer Lopez

• Start Topic

And yes, I wrote down my thoughts on the episode:

Cold Open: And here’s a Trump Sketch. And hosted by Charles Barkley for some reason. But he and Gayle King are needed to be the people to constantly ask him “what the hell is wrong with you?” And Jeez, they actually brought in Nikki Haley for this?! It’s the closest she’ll ever get to actually debating Trump, but I mean, they actually got Ayo Edebiri to ask her the slavery question to her face, but really?!

Monologue: And now for a palate cleanser, Ayo Edebiri was very charming. It’s nice to see a host seem like they’re in their element again.

Why’d You Say It?: Taking people to ask about their awful instagram contestants is a great premise for a game show sketch. Especially since a white guy left immediately and was replaced with a white girl and wasn’t told what the game was. This was great.

Dune 2 Popcorn Bucket: Covering this weird popcorn bucket in song was genius. Yes, it’s real. Either the prop department spent a good chunk of the budget buying them for the sketch or they were given a few to promote it.

Microdosing: The contrast of Mikey and Ayo freaking out like in a 1990’s PSA at someone eating a little bit of a mushroom was great. The rolling backpack was the perfect icing on the cake. Of course all the straight edge nerds had those.

Meet Cute: I love sketches that use everyone, and you know when they use everyone when they bring in the PDD guys and a random old guy to round out the cast.

JLO 1: They needed an epilepsy warning for that. Good to see Redman, too.

WU: Che was honestly killing it. Sarah’s bit was Colin’s bastard lovechild was incredible. Making an allusion to Scarlett too, and being named CJ to further twist the knife. 

Trivia Quest: Another game show sketch?! But I really liked Ayo and Ego’s chemistry in this.

Elevator Town: This was a weird one.

Hypnotist: Just a great performance by Ayo. And Kenan came in and made it better. “RELEASE THAT BISEXUAL BOY FROM YOUR MAGIC!”

People’s Court: Ayo having a haircut so bad her brain was exposed was a great visual. Again, her chemistry with Ego was great. 

Man, that cold open poisoned the rest of the show. I loved most of the rest of it, but I couldn’t get that out of my mind. Like…WHY?! This show didn’t learn a thing from 2015. The show returns February 24th with Shane Gillis.

Wait, why does that name sound familiar?

…Goddamnit. WHY?!

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Re: "Dune: Part 2" popcorn buckets: 

SNL was without doubt supplied with this OFFICIAL movie merchandise, the same way Jimmy Kimmel was the other night with "D:2" stars Chalamet, Butler, Zendaya, and Pugh. 100% for PR. 

• Useful 2
20 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

They needed an epilepsy warning for that.

THIS. Ye Gods.

I thought this was overall a good show. I thought Ayo did a great job. I hope they have her back to host again.

I wish they wouldn't have actual politicians on the show.

• Like 6
47 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: And here’s a Trump Sketch. And hosted by Charles Barkley for some reason. But he and Gayle King are needed to be the people to constantly ask him “what the hell is wrong with you?”

Now I wonder why I never realized their King Charles show could just as well been called Gay Bar

• LOL 6
(edited)

So over JAJ and his 45 impression. I'd like to take that bit to the nearest wharf and drop it off one of the docks.

Volvo. Also the medical term for hooha.

Ayo Edebiri's sweetly sincere opening monologue: Hop on to it, nah!

The Dune popcorn bucket: anything's a sex toy if you're shameless enough?

Jennifer Lopez must have some of the best cosmetic surgeons in the business. I ain't mad at her.

The live version of JLo's first song wasn't bad. I can't stand the radio version though; it's like pop music created by AI. She put most of her effort into the music video.

WU:
Whoa, Colin went in with that pile-up of actual conspiracy theories.
Colin (El Diablo de Los Hamptons) was screwing his former housekeeper. Who knew? Besides his son CJ who also loves cocaine, that is.

Yeah, no, I'm never getting on an elevator again. Elevator Town can miss me.

I wonder if Jordin Sparks is aware Satan may appear as a hypnotist and make people sing one of her songs?

The first thing I wondered during the second song was who was going to pop out from under JLo's gown, lol. And then how she dared to sing with her own voice on live TV. There was a clearly backing track but it seemed to be her hitting those notes.

The court sketch seemed like a mashup of several of those daytime TV judge shows. People's Court is probably still one of the least trashy.

Ayo was fantastic! She was solid on her lines or good at reading the cue cards, brought a lot energy, and was totally game to be silly. She can host again.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 6
21 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The court sketch seemed like a mashup of several of those daytime TV judge shows. People's Court is probably still one of the least trashy.

Is People's Court still even on? I mean, they were there first after all.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Is People's Court still even on? I mean, they were there first after all.

It was canceled in 2023 but the ones with Judge Marilyn Milian are still being aired in syndication on an oldies channel. She has a new court show now.

2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

People’s Court: Ayo having a haircut so bad her brain was exposed was a great visual. Again, her chemistry with Ego was great. 

I’m way overthinking this, but it didn’t make any sense that the courtroom spectators gasped when she turned around so the judge could see the back of her head. That’s what you’ve been seeing all along, people!

• Like 5
  • Applause 4

I thought Ayo did a good job, she is totally adorable. I even enjoyed most of the sketches ( Elevator Town excepted). Can't stand Sarah. Didn't know who was singing with J Lo, but generally liked the song. 

• Like 6

LOVED Ayo. She was great in all the sketches, even the ones I didn't like. The sketch with the hypnotist was the best. She was soooo good. She carried the sketch.

She was also fantastic in the drug sketch. The thing is, she knows how to create a character. Not all hosts do that.

The Trivia Game sketch was great, too. She and Ego were on fire. 

I liked Why'd You Say That, but did they do a similar sketch several eps back? Doesn't matter. My first laugh was when Mikey Day said, "No thank you," and left.

I thought the Morning News Show was ok. Nothing great, but I did think it had a good ending. That's rare on SNL these days.

I had absolutely no idea about the Dune popcorn bucket. Weird. Gross. 

The CO... man. At first I liked Charles Barkley and Gayle King. (Nitpick: I didn't like when Barkley introduced Trump as President Trump.) Anyway, like everyone else in the world, I was appalled that Nikki Haley was in it. I'd like to know how that came about. Did the show approach her? If so, why? Did she or her people approach the show? Just a weird, big-time mistake.

I'm trying not to dislike Sarah, but I'm really tired of her mugging. Her bit as CJ just went on too long. Didn't care for any of it. And I'm tired of the running gag of her, in one character or another, doing jokes/pranks/whatever at Colin's expense. I'm bored with it.

I started listening to J-Lo's first song -- Does she still go by that? -- but I decided it just wasn't my thing. I FF'd thru the 2nd one.

Ayo made this ep a success. She was delightful and funny.

• Like 7

I thought the show was about average.  But I came here to say I have never heard of Ayo Edebiri before in my life.  I can't be the only one?  Had to Google her.  Maybe it's because I don't get Hulu?

• Like 2
(edited)

Ayo was very likeable and threw herself into everything, but I don't know if she got an episode she could do anything with. Even the sketches which did use her more didn't have the best construction, which seems to be more and more common of late. The writing needs a lot of help. I'm starting to hear more about people unhappy backstage (last week Ego apparently liking a tweet about her lack of airtime, this week Bowen making then deleting a shady post about Nikki Haley being on the show). I try not to be as negative on the show because I've come to accept recent years of SNL probably aren't going to be what my expectations want to see, but I'm feeling more and more disconnected from the show's current output.

I think I liked the first game show sketch (even if that may have just been whipped up because of Ayo's past comments about JLo's singing) and the news sketch the most. I'm tired of the Colin Jost roast pieces but this one was more entertaining for me because there was a more good-natured air and Colin joined in.

(this was Colin's 200th episode as a cast member - congrats to him)

As for the cold open and that cameo, I will just say it's a good thing the site was down the night the episode aired because I was not happy. 

Cut from the show:

(this is courtesy the Saturday Night Network hot take show)

Michael Longfellow was on Update as Elon Musk's first human recipient of his neural link technology. 

(PDD) - Ayo/Punkie/Ego as a fake PDD. Devon is watching them online, including their pieces with Bad Bunny, Dakota Johnson, and their hard seltzer. Whenever PDD say anything sus, Devon raises an eyebrow and records with his phone.

(Boat) - A boat tour. Heidi and Ayo are Boston natives, Sarah and JAJ have a child, Molly is a friend who goes swimming, Kenan is a boat driver, Chloe is a tour guide. Ayo and Heidi talk a lot about Boston, the Red Sox, Johnny Damon. Molly is swimming to catch up with the boat.

(Pantry Raiders) A game show sketch. Andrew is host, Kenan/Bowen are a team, Marcello/Ayo/Ego are a team, Molly and Sarah are judges. Contestants need to make a meal in 20 minutes with food that starts with a C, like carnival food. Ayo's team freaks out. Ayo says they should use clowns. Ego keeps drawing clowns on the notepad.

13 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I thought the show was about average.  But I came here to say I have never heard of Ayo Edebiri before in my life.  I can't be the only one?  Had to Google her.  Maybe it's because I don't get Hulu?

I have heard of her but haven't seen most of her work. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Ehh.  It was OK.  Was expecting more out of the comment Ayo made about JLo other than a hurried throwaway line.

The hypnotist sketch was awful; Ayo channeling some bizarro Urkel was painful to watch.

Sarah continues to be one note, and it's flat and out of tune.

The meet cute sketch was good.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

Maybe. She's on The Bear, which is a critical and popular success. I liked it, esp the second season, but I know a couple of people who really didn't like it. (BTW, I thought it was kind of strange when Ayo in her monologue called it just Bear, no 'The.') She's excellent on that show.

I also saw her in Abbott Elementary, though for some reason I didn't think she was a good fit. Maybe I should rewatch.

I haven't seen any of her standup.

Having Haley on was probably an attempt to recreate the 2008 'magic' of Sarah Palin. It was a hit when she made an appearance, but they had Tina Fey to riff off her/make fun of her. No one did that this time, so it just kind of fell flat. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Having Haley on was probably an attempt to recreate the 2008 'magic' of Sarah Palin. It was a hit when she made an appearance, but they had Tina Fey to riff off her/make fun of her. No one did that this time, so it just kind of fell flat. 

Ayo's comment/question about the cause of the Civil War was designed to make fun of her, but I get your point.

6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I try not to be as negative on the show because I've come to accept recent years of SNL probably aren't going to be what my expectations want to see, but I'm feeling more and more disconnected from the show's current output.

At this point, my hopes are just to get a memorable or funny sketch now and then.  And by now and then I mean every couple of episodes.

• Like 5

Other than the cold opening, I loved this episode. Ayo was on fire.

I don't have high hopes for the next host. I hope Bowen and the other cast members walk off for that episode. Honestly, what the hell is Lorne thinking?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Other than the cold opening, I loved this episode. Ayo was on fire.

I don't have high hopes for the next host. I hope Bowen and the other cast members walk off for that episode. Honestly, what the hell is Lorne thinking?

yeah, i thought this was the best episode in a long time.  never heard of Ayo, but loved her and thought she did well with everything

i don't usually like sarah but her bit with colin worked for me

sounds like next week will not be something to watch with that guy as host

• Like 1
13 hours ago, rmontro said:

I thought the show was awful but I really like Ayo.  She was in the movie “Bottoms”- sooo good!

I’m looking forward to Shane Gillis, he’s really funny. I don’t know much about the controversy and I don’t want to.  His standup is hilarious, I highly recommend it.  He makes fun of himself mostly.

18 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

(Pantry Raiders) A game show sketch. Andrew is host, Kenan/Bowen are a team, Marcello/Ayo/Ego are a team, Molly and Sarah are judges. Contestants need to make a meal in 20 minutes with food that starts with a C, like carnival food. Ayo's team freaks out. Ayo says they should use clowns. Ego keeps drawing clowns on the notepad.

There were THREE game show sketches in one episode?! I didn't know the writers were still on strike...

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 2/6/2024 at 10:54 PM, Galileo908 said:

There were THREE game show sketches in one episode?! I didn't know the writers were still on strike...

I actually would have kept that in over a few things that got on the air. I do wonder if three would have been a record. I saw that this was the first episode since Rachel Brosnahan in season 44 to have two game show sketches (that was Millennial Millions and the somewhat infamous "hamberdler" Deal or No Deal sketch).

On 2/6/2024 at 10:54 AM, DXD526 said:

At least with Palin there was a great deal of interest in seeing the show's take on her, as she was close to being VP or possibly even President. Haley, on the other hand, I never heard anyone ask about being seen on SNL. She has no chance. Yet she got such a high profile, not even just a brief cameo or getting to talk on Weekend Update, but a whole sparring session. Either SNL/NBC were just desperate to get any politician to agree to be on their show, or someone at NBC is going to hire her to be one of their fill-in anchors in a month.