Type keyword(s) to search

Mondays With Jon Stewart

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Do we have a return date? I heard sometime in February but I wasn't sure if that was a rumor or something official. 

Every Monday starting Feb. 12

• Like 2
(edited)

For those who didn't see The Problem with Jon Stewart, I really encourage you to check out the YouTube channel to watch the clips and/or listen to the podcast. He made a point on that show to have a diverse room and to promote his writers to share their perspectives so it seems he took the diversity criticism to heart. This makes me very excite to see what happens now.

Edited by marina to
forgot about the podcast!
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, marina to said:

For those who didn't see The Problem with Jon Stewart, I really encourage you to check out the YouTube channel to watch the clips and/or listen to the podcast. He made a point on that show to have a diverse room and to promote his writers to share their perspectives so it seems he took the diversity criticism to heart. This makes me very excite to see what happens now.

Did he hire any women?

39 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Did he hire any women?

I didn't watch the show, and I haven't watched this video, but this came up as the first behind-the-scenes video on the YouTube channel.  There are 6 women listed, including the head writer.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I hope they have a “Previously on…” before tonight’s show where they pull up the clip of Jon responding to Trump’s campaign announcement back in 2015 with “Do it.”

Oh Jon! How I’ve missed you!!!!

The doodling and scribbling on those papers! I really missed that and didn’t know it! 

I loved his segue to the camera to zoom in on his face and then showing us what he looked like 20 years ago.

Won’t lie: I was howling at Dulce’s shade and Jon’s tiny voice in response.

Ronny grossed me out and was a waste of air time.

Welcome Back Jon!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

I'm still very bitter over the show not managing to hold onto Roy Wood Jr., but am going to take the start of this new format - Jon on Mondays, correspondents taking turns for the rest - as the moment to start watching again and try to move past that disappointment to appreciate who is here, rather than just keenly missing who isn't.

I like all the Indecision 2024 titles:  American DeMOCKracy, Electile Dysfunction, What the Fuck Are We Doing, and Antiques Roadshow.  I wonder how many they'll come up with between now and Election Day.

"The leading cause of early-onset dementia is being deposed."  That's nothing new, but no one is doing a particularly good job with this issue.  Jon's simple statement yes, Biden has lost a step, but Trump routinely says things that warrant a wellness check is where this ought to begin and end.  But I will definitely leave room for:  "They are the oldest people ever to run for president, breaking by only four years the record THAT THEY SET THE LAST TIME THEY RAN" because on the flip side of all the hand-wringing, the preposterous arguments their age is a non-issue or, worse, that these dudes are not old in the first place, is driving me out of my hair, too. 

"I like how Biden describes Israel's incessant bombing of civilians the same way my mother talks about the Super Bowl halftime show" made me laugh in the midst of all that.

My favorite was Dulcé shading Jon:  "This is the same shit all over again, it's just a reboot.  We need more than the same show with an older, yet familiar face.  They already had this job, now these old white dudes gotta come back and reclaim it?  Let someone else run the show!"

Jordan was good, too, with "Oh, biting, Jon.  You must be so proud of yourself with all these little satirical bits exposing the absurdities of our political process.  Did you save democracy yet, with your '90s brand of bothsiderism?" but she slayed it.

• Like 10

back to "both siding" and, 'the country will go on.'  yeah, tell that to women in Texas and other states where they no longer have bodily control.  Jon is as bad as he was before.  the two are not the same, never were.    

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

back to "both siding" and, 'the country will go on.'  yeah, tell that to women in Texas and other states where they no longer have bodily control.  Jon is as bad as he was before.  the two are not the same, never were.    

To your point in a way, the guest is saying how Biden is doing well, and is the right person for what's going on in the world, then says he shouldn't run for president. I just don't find a few gaffes mistaking another head of state, which he's done for 40 years, means now he doesn't remember anything. Comedy-wise, it's kind of low hanging fruit and not particularly satirical. 

• Like 8
On 2/13/2024 at 5:56 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ronny grossed me out and was a waste of air time.

You didn't enjoy Desi hiding behind the shirt and doing her best to avoid cracking up?

• Like 3
On 2/13/2024 at 5:44 PM, iMonrey said:

What happened with Apple?

Nothing official but the story is that the reason The Problem was cancelled was because Jon wanted to do stories on China and AI, Apple told him not to, and he refused. Now does his first joke make sense?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Jon's response to the criticisms of him deciding to, on his first show back, resort to his tired "bothsidesism" well was as clueless as his response to the Jezebel article back in his first run, so I had to turn it off and wait until I'm in a better mood to watch the full episode.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Jon's response was funny if you're looking at it as the set up to the Carlson bit. Yes, he didn't really address what I thought was fair criticism, but at the same time, it's people going bonkers on twitter, so saying, "I did one show! Come on!" is also somewhat fair. 

I don't quite get what the point Jon is trying to make. He says, "they're both old, people aren't jazzed about the rematch, and it's ok to call that out." (paraphrasing) Yes, it is. And? Then he says, but "Trump routinely says things that warrant a wellness check." 

It's not quite bothsiding, but it's also not really cogent either. 

Did Jon always interrupt guests and I just don’t remember?  He barely let his guests this week get a word in and it was really annoying to watch. 

• Like 6
11 hours ago, ch1 said:

Did Jon always interrupt guests and I just don’t remember?  He barely let his guests this week get a word in and it was really annoying to watch. 

Yes he did.  And yes, it was annoying back then too.

It's one of the reasons Trevor managed to be successful in following an iconic host - he was a much better interviewer.

• Like 5

Jon made me cry talking about his dog.  "He was ready, but I wasn't" is a place all of us who've loved and lost pets have been.  I remember seeing a picture of them together long ago, and loving that he had a pit bull (and a three-legged one at that).  I watched that lying in bed with my cat purring away on my chest, so she got extra snuggles.  It was cute that he had a box of tissues at the ready, even though he thought he was going to get farther before needing it.  I've always loved what a pet person he is, especially that he's also had cats (and he had them prior to meeting, let alone marrying, a vet tech, so it wasn't her influence).

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7

I did find that dog in 2005. Jon was positively stone-faced compared to how I dealt with her passing. 

For the show, I liked that they focused on a single theme. I do think Jon's point is totally fine - no one is going anywhere. I don't remember so well, but I thought the Oslo accords were fairly well regarded at the time. I don't know if re floating that idea is in play. 

I liked the guests. 

• Like 3

Jon does definitely interrupt his guests more than Trevor did, but it always feels like Jon's engaging in a conversation that he knows enough to participate in -- Trevor often respectfully sat back and yielded the floor because he just rarely knew enough to really engage. I like both styles, but I consider Jon's guests to typically be there for a conversation and Trevor's guests to typically be there for a interview. (Not that constant interruption is okay for a conversation, either! I just mean I think the basic premise usually means hearing more of his voice than we were meant to hear of Trevor's, and that's okay depending on the topic. But I definitely want to watch all the extended versions because many thoughts I wanted to hear the rest of get cut off!)

• Like 4

Aw, I wondered if Tia Torres (of Villalobos Rescue Center, subject of the series Pit Bulls & Parolees) would post anything following Jon's story about Dipper, since he had her on the show way back when.  She did.

• Like 4

Good joke on Jon's expense to look in the little fancy hand mirror. 

I only saw a few snippets of the rebuttal, and I didn't think she was like that for the whole speech, but wow. I can't really put it on her totally. Who was directing her? No one chimed in with a 'maybe dial it down?' I don't know if she was going for 'folksey' or something like that. Don't they have multiple takes? I assume the rebuttal is prepared when the speech is released, so there's time to film the rebuttal. I was under the impression they didn't *watch* the speech and just filmed the rebuttal off the printed copy. 

After a few bumps, well noted here, Jon was stronger tonight. The question of why the gop thinks they're the direct descendents of the Revolutionaries is a good point. It's kind of a condescending stand to take. 

Those people talking about wanting a dictatorship was chilling. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Don't they have multiple takes? I assume the rebuttal is prepared when the speech is released, so there's time to film the rebuttal. I was under the impression they didn't *watch* the speech and just filmed the rebuttal off the printed copy. 

The rebuttal is a prepared speech delivered live, much like the State of the Union itself. 

Is that so? Then she needed someone in her ear like a live newscast. They have to had prepared it based on the published speech earlier though because it wasn't reflective of the actual live SOTU.  

(edited)

I liked Jon's talk with the Middle East (although I dearly missed a "Meet me at Camera Three" rather than just an "Over here") -- when we gerrymandered your homelands in exchange for oil, we expected more.

I had just this weekend watched one of the "Best of Jon Stewart" episodes promoted on Paramount+, an interview with Barack Obama, and Jon did the same bit about not knowing who the teams are.  It was tired then and it's tired now, but I did for some reason get a little chuckle at last night's quip about needing jerseys.

The sound of Trump's voice drives me batty, so I keep up with what he's saying and doing via print media, but I'll sometimes leave the room during my nightly dose of TV news on PBS if they show too much of him.  I can handle a clip better on a show like this, where there will be the palate cleanser of imitating him.  I know I cannot be surprised any more by incoherence, but I am still somehow sitting here asking Seriously? about that Gettysburg speech.  Jon's leprechaun impression was just what I needed.

My favorite bit of Team Mandela vs. Team Jesus Christ was Desi saying "Jesus Christ, it's Jesus Christ" -- until Josh burst in with his Team O.J. argument, and blew them out of the water.  Apt comparison, about fans who think he's not guilty know he is but don't care.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1

Rushdie has been doing a lot of interviews. I am finding them quite interesting. He gets to talk in more detail in other places, because they give him more time and are not trying to be funny.  

(edited)

Gas stoves are now are new national crisis? This is why nothing can get done. Everything is always a catastrophe. 

I have to agree with Jon pushing back on the interview. Yes, there are unprecedented challenges and we need new ways to deal with them, but this isn't the 'worst it's ever been.' And there always were. It's just now, I'd say the acceleration thereof is new. While I'd agree that social media is a serious issue, I think the lack of context and trying to build on past achievements is more severe. 

Not to discount what people are concerned about, but I also don't think we're as polarized as we really are either. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic