Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: Season 3 and Onward

• Start Topic

On 2/3/2023 at 6:58 AM, Route66 said:

A highly trained dog like that isn't going to stop eating because Eliott tells him.

I am/was new to this show. Wanted to find something new to watch in the Law and Order franchise.  This scene physically horrified me, like my stomach actually flipped. Not sure at this point I'll be back as I found a lot of the rest of the episode laughably dumb.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

It’s quite silly that Seamus never realized how clingy Juliet is in the very early stage of their relationship

I was like....didn't they meet just a day or two ago? Seamus is a handsome guy, surely she can't be the first attractive woman he's ever met. What's with all of the lovey dovey stuff?

But hey, I've already mentioned how much I dislike Jet.  I find the actress to be bland.  She seems to have only 1-2 facial expressions, mostly of the "let me open my eyes widely to convey emotion or sarcasm" variety. I will say I agreed with Jet about "Stabler has done worse."  But hey, dem's the breaks. 

A highly trained dog like that isn't going to stop eating because Eliott tells him.

I wondered about that, as it didn't seem realistic. 

I like Ayanna, but I'm more interested in her acrimonious relationship with the Inspector General guy or whatever his title is.  I don't care about the former partner case.  

Bell reveals to Jett that Murphy killed "her partner". Jett then refers to him as "Jennings". How does she know his name?

Ayanna says his name in that conversation.  I was more curious how Jet knew where Ayanna lived.  I know Stabler's been over there before, but I didn't get the sense that she connected with anyone else on the team in that way. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Raja said:

Wiseguy where Vinnie Terranova spent a year in jail to build his cover this ain't.

Five minutes in and I found myself thinking back fondly of Vinnie and his deep cover and the bad guys that populated that show. Glenn Frey, Jerry Lewis, Patti D'Arbanville, Ray Starkey, Kevin Spacey.... They really put some depth behind the stories and acting. This show, along with most other current cop shows, seem to be written by one of those computer programs where you pick out themes and press a button and the computer writes the show for you. The same old same old themes, characters, plotlines, dialogue, etc. There's just no imagination to this stuff any more. It's more than disappointing, it's lazy and it's criminal. They should call it Law and Order: Writer's Block.

As for Jet: the storyline is just so predictable and boring. Apparently her undercover skills are no more than wig deep. Speaking of which, lots of women do wear wigs. It may be embarrassing to have it disturbed but it isn't a sudden indication of undercover cop status. Unless there are thousands/millions of women out there who are really cops and we just didn't realize. She played Julia as clingy, desperate woman who after meeting Seamus one night suddenly feels entitled to stalk him and demand to know all about him or else. She is already planning the cozy little cottage for two in Mexico and it's been like two days since they started up. Red flags, Seamus. Red flags. She may not be a cop but she is a crazy girlfriend. If she was for real I can see her putting a tracker on his car and demanding to inspect his phone every day. He's lucky she's just a cop.

That little psychodrama she played on Ayanna would have proved to me that she is in no way ready to continue undercover. She is following the Stabler playbook. It'd be better if Ayanna shuts that shit right down. She doesn't need any more out of pocket detectives who defy her authority.

Murphy is a cartoon bad guy, complete with cartoon bad dog. Dog cleaned the plate, bones and all. I don't think so, writers.

Be better, writers. Act like you give a damn about your craft.

• Like 3

When Jet's wig was pulled off, I was like oh FFS, just play it off. So many women these days where extensions and even wigs. All she had to do was say oh crap, now you know I have short hair, I'm trying to grow it out! Please, it's not even a different color, so it's not a big disguise. She's not ready for UC. And yeh, she's falling for him. Or at least very intrigued by him.

I think Jack the dog should have an "Emotional Support Dog" vest on him. That would be funny. The hand scene didn't turn my stomach, it was all so silly anyway, he's walking down the street holding a human hand.

This show is silly, why do I continue to watch? I had hoped for much more for a Stabler-centric show. 

What I would like to know is how can Stabler be "undercover" still? I'm sure his face was splashed on the news when Kathleen was blown up by a car bomb. He went undercover with the Armenians (I think I have the right nationality). Hell, he even went undercover within the NYPD. Now he's undercover again. NYC is big, but not that big. Word gets around. Write smarter please.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, hookedontv said:

When Jet's wig was pulled off, I was like oh FFS, just play it off. So many women these days where extensions and even wigs. All she had to do was say oh crap, now you know I have short hair, I'm trying to grow it out! Please, it's not even a different color, so it's not a big disguise. She's not ready for UC. And yeh, she's falling for him. Or at least very intrigued by him.

I think Jack the dog should have an "Emotional Support Dog" vest on him. That would be funny. The hand scene didn't turn my stomach, it was all so silly anyway, he's walking down the street holding a human hand.

This show is silly, why do I continue to watch? I had hoped for much more for a Stabler-centric show. 

What I would like to know is how can Stabler be "undercover" still? I'm sure his face was splashed on the news when Kathleen was blown up by a car bomb. He went undercover with the Armenians (I think I have the right nationality). Hell, he even went undercover within the NYPD. Now he's undercover again. NYC is big, but not that big. Word gets around. Write smarter please.

I think all of the better writers in the franchise over its 30+ years have gone on to other shows or something.

• Like 1

A week off before this one airs, on February 16, 2023:

When a member of the task force goes missing, Teddy takes advantage of the chaos to make his escape. Bell secures a key piece of evidence in her case against Murphy.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Airing February 23, 2023:

After the daughter of Stabler's former Marine buddy is kidnapped, the task force must help to settle a dangerous dispute between two rival biker gangs wrapped up in a deadly scheme.

• Useful 1

Ayanna looked stunning in that blue dress at the top of the episode.  

Otherwise, nothing of consequence seemed to happen. Jamie getting pissy with Bobby while chasing down Teddy was odd.  He could go right along with Jet, and I wouldn't miss him. 

And while I wasn't invested in the dead partner case (mostly because of the weak writing), I thought Danielle Moné Truitt did a good job with what she was given. 

I'm so tired of Jet. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Like 1

Jet should no longer be allowed to do UC work especially with male targets. Same goes to working with male CIs. First Malachi, then Seamus.

Re that FBI’s little bitch, just bring in Hank Voight into OC universe to take care of him. Eamonn is just a man hiding behind a dog. How rare and valuable is his intel that FBI couldn’t find it from another source?

DA Rika Harold should know about Eamonn’s immunity to prosecution, right? Why is she not telling Elliot about this?

Does Eamonn have DI Ray Thurman under his payroll?

• Like 4
On 2/18/2023 at 8:35 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Does Eamonn have DI Ray Thurman under his payroll?

Why with the FBI running cover for him? It seemed like an odd way just to end the story, it reminded me of Third Watch where they wrote Sergeant Cruz into a box but then decided to center much of the show around her the next season so the magic FBI informant angle came up.  I guess the payoff was that a live person was finally fed to his dog.

• Like 1
On 2/19/2023 at 12:50 PM, Drogo said:

Poor Seamus.  Sweetest criminal henchman and hired gun I ever did see.  Modern day Mr. Darcy. 

Yeah, I felt sad for him. And Jet. This was really kind of a sad ep overall. Made me think of the one where Gina died.

I'm also confused as to how Murphy is being covered by the FBI.

And where does this season go from here? It seems like a lot of ends were tied up. New case, I guess, based on previews?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Raja said:

Why with the FBI running cover for him? It seemed like an odd way just to end the story, it reminded me of Third Watch where they wrote Sergeant Cruz into a box but then decided to center much of the show around her the next season so the magic FBI informant angle came up.  I guess the payoff was that a live person was finally fed to his dog.

Speaking of, why would the FBI be fine with him murdering people?  I'm sure we're not meant to think too deeply on this.  Still, it's one thing to have a henchman do his dirty work, but he's responsible for the dog. Not to mention the almost murder of Teddy.  In any case, the "he's an FBI informant" felt like an unnecessary deus ex machina.  Because surely the FBI would have caught wind of the NYPD undercover op? Murphy is not a character I want to see again. 

Also, I rolled my eyes at Stabler threatening him.  Assuming he goes through with the threat, it's no different than Bell taking him out.  

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Speaking of, why would the FBI be fine with him murdering people?

The TV rule any show without a FBI agent as the lead then they only care about murder if a federal undercover agent gets killed. They would ignore the justice of a sure life imprisonment or death penalty case to get their conviction on some lessor charge. When the FBI agent is the lead then the FBI snatches murder cases from the local PD.

Edited by Raja
13 minutes ago, GiandujaPie said:

Stabler should just leak word on the street that Eamonn is an FBI informant and let his enemies take care of him. 

That's the move of an anti-hero, a Sergeant Voight not a Law & Order lead character.

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, Raja said:

They would ignore the justice of a sure life imprisonment or death penalty case to get their conviction on some lessor charge.

Definitely the case in this episode!

4 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

Stabler should just leak word on the street that Eamonn is an FBI informant and let his enemies take care of him. 

And lose the righteousness of a Stabler takedown? For shame!

• LOL 1

Can this show (and the franchise in general) please pick up some super basic knowledge of firearms?

When Reyes is at the crime scene, he tells Bell "they really unloaded in this guy. 6 9m Full Metal Jacket casings." First off, a motorcycle gang that literally traffics guns would likely use something bigger than a 9mm. Second, using Full Metal Jackets to execute someone isn't "really unloading on him". You'd use hollow points which are what the LEOs have in their guns and what is used for self defense. A FMJ would require very specific shot placement, totally stupid for a drive-by. Lastly, there's no way the ejected shell casing would have wound up on the sidewalk. A 9mm handgun ejects casings backwards, they wouldn't move from the shooters car to the sidewalk. 

@Route66I know next to nothing about firearms so I gloss over those kinds of lines, but I can understand your frustration as someone who does know - it seems pretty blatantly incorrect. Maybe the show is avoiding using proper terminology or behaviours on purpose? I dunno.

1 minute ago, mledawn said:

@Route66I know next to nothing about firearms so I gloss over those kinds of lines, but I can understand your frustration as someone who does know - it seems pretty blatantly incorrect. Maybe the show is avoiding using proper terminology or behaviours on purpose? I dunno.

Probably anyone with knowledge of law or medicine or IT gets annoyed with blatant and obvious inaccuracies. I'm sure any cyber or tech professionals find Jet and/or TARU to be a joke. 

• Like 3

Michael Biehn looks...different. I'm also laughing in disbelief that the head of a organized crime biker gang, who conveniently served with Stabler, has never crossed paths with him undercover.  Sure, Jan. 

Assuming the biker gang wouldn't want to test one of those disabled ghost guns was...a choice. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Assuming the biker gang wouldn't want to test one of those disabled ghost guns was...a choice. 

First thing I thought was that they were screwed 'cause the motor cycle guy would definitely test the guns.

• Like 1

^ Agreed. Stuff like that took me out of the episode. Reyes sitting in a booth at a very important drop site and no one noticing/caring was another thing. 

Jet was annoying in that scene with the tech guy. And her arresting the genius was laughable. I wish they'd have another detective for the handsy stuff. Jet's just not too believable in that role. 

Was her password Seamus though? I thought that scene was cute. 

Wait a minute! Isn’t Jet a multi-talented hacker? Why can’t she do the coding herself? I don’t understand why she needs to be unkind to this Tech Guy. What’s with the bitchy face?

Someone needs to tell the Tech Guy that he is on the wrong side of law enforcement. Jet loves criminals! 😆

Why DI Ray Thurman never make any fuss about OC task force taking a case that’s supposed to be under FBI jurisdiction???

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Someone needs to tell the Tech Guy that he is on the wrong side of law enforcement. Jet loves criminals! 😆

Ha! I actually thought she was calling the hacker guy from last season when Bell asked about how to track 3d printer sales.  The team manages to get anywhere and everywhere in the city within minutes, so I didn't get why they didn't just return to the office so she could look it up herself. But hey, Jet is in the field now, so she does not have time to do the job she was presumably hired to do! Thus, being condescending to and bossing around the Tech Guy who is just as intelligent as she is.  

17 hours ago, Nintra16 said:

Reyes sitting in a booth at a very important drop site and no one noticing/caring was another thing. 

I was laughing about that too.  I thought he was out of sight, but nope! 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Like 3
On 2/25/2023 at 8:55 PM, christie said:

First thing I thought was that they were screwed 'cause the motor cycle guy would definitely test the guns.

I also thought this. I figured maybe they'd put a functional one on top just in case (I mean, maybe they did, but it seems weird they wouldn't test it.).

I really wasn't into this episode at all. I was watching it from the DVR and kept pausing it for long stretches while I did other things. Then I'd be like, "What show was I watching again? Right!" Also, the fact that I waited a week to watch it, even though I watched original L&O and SVU the day after they aired. OC used to be the first one I watched.

• Like 2

I am a week behind, so just saw the FBI's bitch episode. After Whitey Bulger, there is no way in hell the FBI would allow a murderer to remain on the street. No matter who he serves up. The way to end this is anonymously let the NY Times know the FBI is protecting a crime lord.  It was quite openly discussed when the FBI went to their office, so this "secret" can easily be leaked.

• Like 1

I will say, seeing how chaotic this show has been from jump, I wonder if, instead of trying to create a new show with no clear vision, perhaps maybe Benson could have ended up demoted for some reason and Stabler could have re-teamed with her as her partner on SVU.

Or, if TPTB were fixated on having Stabler in another show, maybe revive Criminal Intent - an already established arm of the franchise - and bring in a new partner on the job, and for the E/O audience, still have them interact as they are now. (Since CI had a few detective teams, I doubt one more would have made a difference. And hey, that show also helped reestablish Mike Logan, so there was precedent!)

But it's becoming increasingly clear to me that this series lacks a firm direction, and the constant changing of TPTB - and this time, with someone so controversial! - doesn't help.

• Like 4

And changing show runners before the start of a season is one thing, but for the last 3 episodes????? And not even necessarily continuing on in that role for next season (I assume that there is a next season).

• Like 4
10 hours ago, illdoc said:

And changing show runners before the start of a season is one thing, but for the last 3 episodes????? And not even necessarily continuing on in that role for next season (I assume that there is a next season).

Yeah, this just seems bad...like there are some sort of issues behind the scenes. Maybe it's about the direction of the show, maybe some other conflict. But yes, with three eps left, seems odd to jump ship.

On 3/11/2023 at 2:33 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I will say, seeing how chaotic this show has been from jump, I wonder if, instead of trying to create a new show with no clear vision, perhaps maybe Benson could have ended up demoted for some reason and Stabler could have re-teamed with her as her partner on SVU.

Or, if TPTB were fixated on having Stabler in another show, maybe revive Criminal Intent - an already established arm of the franchise - and bring in a new partner on the job, and for the E/O audience, still have them interact as they are now. (Since CI had a few detective teams, I doubt one more would have made a difference. And hey, that show also helped reestablish Mike Logan, so there was precedent!)

But it's becoming increasingly clear to me that this series lacks a firm direction, and the constant changing of TPTB - and this time, with someone so controversial! - doesn't help.

I think there was a clear vision at the beginning, but there was never execution. As far as the other ideas I don't think Meloni was interested in coming back to SVU as he felt (correctly) that they had done just about everything they could do with the character. Also there was no way that Mariska was going to take the pay cut that would be needed. I don't think that NBC would be interested in bringing back Criminal Intent at the same time they were bringing back the mothership and it was probably for the best as given the difficulties they had maintaining the formula the first time around I can't see them recreating it.

I do wonder what the heck is going on and I am losing what little respect I have left for Dick Wolf. Why bring over someone with their own problems? Is the show already dead? If not and they don't want to bring in someone who is seen as a candidate for the permanent position why not Julie Martin who was involved in the development and has more than paid her dues? Or given that the plot has to be mapped out (I would imagine that those decisions were the creative differences) why not turn this into a PR move and have Dick Wolf himself actually step in as the titular showrunner?

• Like 4

Here is the description for S03.E16: Chinatown, airing March 23, 2023:

When a city council candidate's fundraiser ends in an assassination attempt, Stabler makes it a top priority to find the culprit. Despite Thurman's orders, the local precinct captain is reluctant to let Bell's team take the lead.

On 3/12/2023 at 7:18 PM, wknt3 said:

Or given that the plot has to be mapped out (I would imagine that those decisions were the creative differences) why not turn this into a PR move and have Dick Wolf himself actually step in as the titular showrunner?

Well, Dick Wolf will turn 77 this year, so maybe he has no interest in the day to day now. (And it shows, sadly.)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, Dick Wolf will turn 77 this year, so maybe he has no interest in the day to day now. (And it shows, sadly.)

Oh I know he has no interest in the content. It's just that since it can be assumed that the decisions have already been made (most likely by Dick Wolf and NBC prompting the showrunner to resign in the first place) and he has people to do the actual work he could actually get something positive publcity wise and maybe get some viewers to come back to check it out. If you are going to have a caretaker why not one who won't make the PR hit worse? And nobody would expect him to be an actual candidate for the permanent job, which is the only reason not to go with one of the other in house options who does not have the baggage. Dick Wolf at least used to care about optics and PR.

• Like 2

I watched this show for the first time since the crossover this season and I liked this storyline tonight about the Chinese human trafficking operation, it was compelling enough. I’ll stay tuned for a few episodes at least to see where this goes. It was easier to follow than a lot of the stuff in the first two seasons. This show has potential, and I’ve liked the storylines I’ve seen other than the Wheatley debacle okay, if they keep things easier to follow I might start watching again more regularly.

• Like 5

Is anyone else tired of Jet being treated like the squad's little sister instead of a professional colleague? If anyone else got promoted they'd likely go out for drinks and toast. For Jet they get streamers and balloons and plan to hide and yell "surprise"?

Also, what did she do to earn this? 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Is there anything to Bell making goo goo eyes with the female Chinese detective?  It was clear from the dialogue that they have a lot in common.  (Very attractive lesbian cops who lost their marriage to the demands of the job)

• Like 1